Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-01-16 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4550197

User image

Regular
Subject: About me

NAME: Troy Holm

STORY: Turning 40 in Febr (27th).  5x Marathoner, 2 sprint tri's under belt.  Actuary @ Humana by day, still have energy by night to run/swim/exercise.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (Wife is also a runner and avid exerciser), 2 daughters Hailey - 13 and Hannah - 10)

CURRENT TRAINING: Run 20 miles/week, plus weights 3x/week.  I typically build muscle over the winters 

2013 RACES: May 4th - WI Half Mary (1:35:00 goal); June 23rd Pl Prairie Tri (Oly);  July Racine Half Iron Man, Undecided what marathon later in the year

WEIGHTLOSS: Currently 165#, wouldn't mind to get to 155# by Racine HIM

WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT OF THIS GROUP:  2nd Mentor group involved with.  Motivation, questions about swimming techniques.  MAybe some training days with local folks.  Few locals already in this group to make training plans with...

Things I like:  Training with others.  Makes the training soooo much easier.

Edited by t-royboy 2013-01-16 10:04 PM

2013-01-16 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4581002

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED

I was very surprised that they had volunteers to hold your bike while you pee'd, it was very nice treat.  

I know this sounds weird but also when you are racing and training you might want to check the color of your urine.  This will tell you if you are hydrated or not because lots of times you think you are hydrated but you're not.

kcgolf - 2013-01-16 11:31 AM

Tim - it is great to be back let me tell you. Your ideas sound great and I am going to start thinking about how I might be able to implement them. I love the idea of having kids/vols taking care of your nutrition needs during a pee break - great idea. In NY and NJ I was worried about my bike still being there when I got out of the toilet Laughing.

KC

tmoran80 - 2013-01-16 11:17 AM

With the Hammer Perpetuem I have my 4 hour bottle.  I mark lines on my water bottle for every hour so I know exactly what I need to drink.  I set my watch alarm for every 15 minutes and I take a gulp.  Every 30 minutes I take a Hammer gel.  That covers my nutrition.  For fluids I just base it off the weather.  For my training rides I take two bottles water and 1 bottle perform.  If you are peeing too much - back off the fluids.  If you haven't pee'd in a while (you are most likely screwed already) but you hit the fluids more.  It sounds complicated but by separating my nutrition from my fluid intake I have more control.  Now at IMWI last year I did stop about 4 times to use the outhouse on the bike but in my mind I knew I was hydrated - plus they had kids that would hold my bike and top off all my bottle while i was in the porta potty so it was literally like a pit stop with a crew haha 

kcgolf - 2013-01-16 9:57 AM

Tim  I am glad you brought this up again because I dont think I mentioned this to the group after IM NYC last year but during the run - I seriously had to pee almost at every aid station duing the last half of the run. I know you have mentioned this before as an issue you have had. I need some serious help in my strategy for this years races. What has been your strategy to cut down on so many trips to the washroom? I like your logic in this post. I drink the Perform but not solely for nutrition. My stomach can handle anything to be honest so I really need to look at strategies to make sure I take in enough liquid - but just enough so I don't feel like all I have to do is PEE when I am out there running. Yell

tmoran80 - 2013-01-15 2:46 PM

Deb if you can get enough calories then by all means do it.  Can you handle solid food or are you thinking mostly fluids?Where I get concerned is when you figure how many Performs you to drink to drink to get your calories.  For example one 8 oz. serving of Perpetuem 270 calories.  You would need to drink almost 4 servings of Perform to get the same amount of calories.  If that was me I would be stopping every mile to pee.Laughing

I really think the concentrated bottles of nutrition (Infinit, First Endurance, Hammer, etc...)are the way to go supplemented with what is on the course.  Just my opinion though.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-01-15 11:19 AM I am considering going with what's available on course. Thoughts on this...?

2013-01-16 8:07 PM
in reply to: #4581869

User image

Extreme Veteran

Awesome Simone!  You are starting the year with awesome accomplishments already.

kruzmeister - 2013-01-16 8:50 PM

Hey Team,

hope everybody is well and those who have been sick or injured are starting to feel better.

I just came from my doctor's office with some great news. Prior to going on the Whole30 eating plan I had elevated cholesterol and my blood sugar levels were bordering on type II diabetes, my blood pressure was in the normal to high range and well my weight was weightier. Just found out that my cholesterol and blood sugar levels have come well down into the normal range, my blood pressure is now perfect, and my weight is starting to fall off. About the only things to watch are my kidney function and thyroid which can be elevated because of the meds I'm on. I also got strict instructions to stay well hydrated, so KC looks like I'll be stopping for regular pee breaks on the bike too!! Hehehe.

But seriously this is great news for me as I have really struggled with my health mentally and physically for a very long time. Also being told that the bipolar meds can cause obesity, heart problems and diabetes didn't help, but I guess I am living proof that you can reverse the damage you've done to yourself through binge eating and not giving a sh*t about life. I've also proved you can lose weight on these meds if you are disciplined enough. My psych doc told me last week I was a role model, been a long time since I've heard that and it felt pretty good too, she'll be stoked when she hears about my blood results.

I've decided I'm going to splurge on a Garmin 910XT to celebrate. I bought a Polar RS300X, but the GPS device is huge and after reading a review on the 910XT I'm convinced it will really help me with my training, not only the HR stuff, but also the intervals you can program, the open water swimming function and the various settings and alarms etc. I rang the store where I got the Polar from and they are happy to swap them and all I need do is pay the difference. Next to my bike this will be the most expensive thing I've bought, but I think it will pay me back in buckets and besides, I've earned it!

Hope everyone has a great finish to the week and an even better weekend!

2013-01-16 9:18 PM

User image

Chicago

Simone - Your doing awesome! Keep it up. Your health is very important and you are a role model because you did something about it. One thing that I learned is that it is easy to lose weight but if you don't change your life style, the weight will come back. I gained 60LBS since I got married and now I am fighting to get back to normal. I'm not there yet but I will keep trying.

So go ahead and splurge, buy that Garmin because you have earned it....

Gil

kruzmeister - 2013-01-16 7:50 PM

Hey Team,

hope everybody is well and those who have been sick or injured are starting to feel better.

I just came from my doctor's office with some great news. Prior to going on the Whole30 eating plan I had elevated cholesterol and my blood sugar levels were bordering on type II diabetes, my blood pressure was in the normal to high range and well my weight was weightier. Just found out that my cholesterol and blood sugar levels have come well down into the normal range, my blood pressure is now perfect, and my weight is starting to fall off. About the only things to watch are my kidney function and thyroid which can be elevated because of the meds I'm on. I also got strict instructions to stay well hydrated, so KC looks like I'll be stopping for regular pee breaks on the bike too!! Hehehe.

But seriously this is great news for me as I have really struggled with my health mentally and physically for a very long time. Also being told that the bipolar meds can cause obesity, heart problems and diabetes didn't help, but I guess I am living proof that you can reverse the damage you've done to yourself through binge eating and not giving a sh*t about life. I've also proved you can lose weight on these meds if you are disciplined enough. My psych doc told me last week I was a role model, been a long time since I've heard that and it felt pretty good too, she'll be stoked when she hears about my blood results.

I've decided I'm going to splurge on a Garmin 910XT to celebrate. I bought a Polar RS300X, but the GPS device is huge and after reading a review on the 910XT I'm convinced it will really help me with my training, not only the HR stuff, but also the intervals you can program, the open water swimming function and the various settings and alarms etc. I rang the store where I got the Polar from and they are happy to swap them and all I need do is pay the difference. Next to my bike this will be the most expensive thing I've bought, but I think it will pay me back in buckets and besides, I've earned it!

2013-01-16 10:10 PM

User image

Regular
WOW, lots of Racine HIM's and Pl Prairie racers.  Very cool.  We should do training days.   Also will be in Breckenridge/Denver Co in late Febr to meet with my trainer (and ski of course).  Be more than happy to run with any locals :tup:
2013-01-17 4:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Hmmm thinking seriously about volunteering at IM Oz in May so I can sign up for 2014. My mum's sister lives in Port Macquarie so it would be a good chance for her to visit and for me to check out the course and atmosphere of an IM. Also wondering, how do the early entries work for volunteers?? I would hate to miss out!

2013-01-17 4:24 AM
in reply to: #4581974

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Thanks Gil and you are absolutely right it is entirely about lifestyle, that has been the big change for me, it took a while to get used to it, but now its great, even now though I still get the odd craving and it reminds me how easy it would be to slip into old habits. I've just changed how I look at nutrition now, I think of it as the fourth leg of my Ironman dream and if I don't get it right like the swim, bike and run, its all over, that helps to keep me honest.

Hang in there, you will lose the weight once you get fully into your training, just be consistent and make small changes which add up to big rewards! Smile

gdelamora - 2013-01-17 2:18 PM

Simone - Your doing awesome! Keep it up. Your health is very important and you are a role model because you did something about it. One thing that I learned is that it is easy to lose weight but if you don't change your life style, the weight will come back. I gained 60LBS since I got married and now I am fighting to get back to normal. I'm not there yet but I will keep trying.

So go ahead and splurge, buy that Garmin because you have earned it....

Gil

2013-01-17 6:22 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Awesome News Simone. You deserve to get yourself a nice reward Smile.

kruzmeister - 2013-01-16 8:50 PM

Hey Team,

2013-01-17 6:29 AM
in reply to: #4582103

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

You should 100% do it. I went onto the IM OZ web site to look for the volunteer sign up area but could not find it. I am guessing they have a facebook page - search it and get on there and ask if there are still spots available. Dont wait - do it today. You may have to email the race director. Don't take no for an answer - volunteer spots do fill up but you may get lucky. Hell show up anway - I would be surprised if they said no.

KC

kruzmeister - 2013-01-17 5:14 AM

Hmmm thinking seriously about volunteering at IM Oz in May so I can sign up for 2014. My mum's sister lives in Port Macquarie so it would be a good chance for her to visit and for me to check out the course and atmosphere of an IM. Also wondering, how do the early entries work for volunteers?? I would hate to miss out!

Edited by kcgolf 2013-01-17 6:32 AM
2013-01-17 6:35 AM
in reply to: #4581873

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: About me

Hey Troy. Great to see you.

KC

t-royboy - 2013-01-16 8:52 PM

STORY: Turning 40 in Febr (27th).  5x Marathoner, 2 sprint tri's under belt.  Actuary @ Humana by day, still have energy by night to run/swim/exercise.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (Wife is also a runner and avid exerciser), 2 daughters Hailey - 13 and Hannah - 10)

CURRENT TRAINING: Run 20 miles/week, plus weights 3x/week.  I typically build muscle over the winters 

2013 RACES: May 4th - WI Half Mary (1:35:00 goal); June 23rd Pl Prairie Tri (Oly);  July Racine Half Iron Man, Undecided what marathon later in the year

WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT OF THIS GROUP:  2nd Mentor group involved with.  Motivation, questions about swimming techniques.  MAybe some training days with local folks.  Few locals already in this group to make training plans with...

2013-01-17 8:57 AM

New user
Chicago

question on bike chain cleaning and gear set cleaning and such.  read some conflicting things that say cleaning the chain is crazy you should just wipe it down and lube and when it gets decrepit replace it.  others say clean with de-greaser and all that nonsense but that seems kind of counter intuitive for stuff with internal lubrication and moving parts moving on things with internal lubrication and moving parts that may or may not have a cool paint job.  

could really care less about replacing a chain a few times a year.  just means fewer trips to the bar.  more concerned with wearing out my gear-set as that would cause all manner of irritation.  

swim went well this morning.  pretty confident i will not have a catastrophic event with that aspect and i was legitimately concerned a few weeks ago.  just keep swimming... just keep swimming... 

2013-01-17 10:16 AM

User image

Regular

What does the "RFP" = four the group name?

Its funny, i used to be involved in an online poker group called the RFPG (Rebel Forum Poker Group).  No longer able to play poker online tho

2013-01-17 11:44 AM

Regular
Sheboygan, WI
Who is all doing Ironman Racine?

I thought I was going under with a head cold, but I think good old Vitamin C and a couple Zinc lozenges took care of it. Glad to hear other in the group are feeling better. In a way, I kind of wish I had the flu.... it would be an easy way to lose some weight! : )

Looking at going with a DeSoto T1 top to go with an older T1 Bibjohn I have. I'm thinking I'll just concentrate on biking/running fitness during these early months, and then add more swimming closer to March/April. Will be swimming at least once a week for now at 2500 m.

Timmer
2013-01-17 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

KC, glad you have turned a corner!  The flu sounds awful this year!!

And congrats on your weight loss along with all the other health improvements, Simone!!  That is fantastic news!  Such a great reward for all that hard work you put in...  You absolutely deserve a 910xt! 

I myself am really hoping to lose 10 lbs over the next few months.  I have been working out consistently for the past 2 years or so and have been eating relatively "clean" but any weightloss has sort of hit a standstill.  I'm attempting to cut out alcohol (have not had a drink since 12/29) to "shock my system" and see if it gives my metabolism the kickstart it needs!  Also feeling the need to detox after the holidays!  I'm definitely a social drinker so this is a HUGE challenge for me!  I'm going to see if I can stay on the wagon for a month to see if it helps me lose any lbs...  Will keep you all posted!

2013-01-17 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4582873

New user
Chicago
kpringle - 2013-01-17 1:14 PM

KC, glad you have turned a corner!  The flu sounds awful this year!!

And congrats on your weight loss along with all the other health improvements, Simone!!  That is fantastic news!  Such a great reward for all that hard work you put in...  You absolutely deserve a 910xt! 

I myself am really hoping to lose 10 lbs over the next few months.  I have been working out consistently for the past 2 years or so and have been eating relatively "clean" but any weightloss has sort of hit a standstill.  I'm attempting to cut out alcohol (have not had a drink since 12/29) to "shock my system" and see if it gives my metabolism the kickstart it needs!  Also feeling the need to detox after the holidays!  I'm definitely a social drinker so this is a HUGE challenge for me!  I'm going to see if I can stay on the wagon for a month to see if it helps me lose any lbs...  Will keep you all posted!

Whats relatively clean?  

If your caloric intake is close to your calorie burn then maybe you're plateauing with your fitness.  You may want to think about adding in some strength training (like bodybuilding not just  functional core stuff or body weight exercises).  

Lean muscle is healthy, can help up VO2max, endurance sport economy --- more power = less strokes/strides/spins with the same effort to go further --- and at a minimum it will positively impact body composition which is significantly more important than cutting weight in my opinion.  

Really shouldn't impact other training except for the first few weeks when there will be an adjustment period.  A good protein drink helps out there.  

Or you could up the intensity/volume of your workouts as you may not be burning off as much as you think.

2013-01-17 2:42 PM

User image

Here's a training question for you all...

Do you get sore? I have been working out pretty hard and I don't get sore. Am I pushing hard enough? Should I be sore after a hard day?

Pierce

2013-01-17 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4582947

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
arock84 - 2013-01-17 2:56 PM

Whats relatively clean?  

If your caloric intake is close to your calorie burn then maybe you're plateauing with your fitness.  You may want to think about adding in some strength training (like bodybuilding not just  functional core stuff or body weight exercises).  

Lean muscle is healthy, can help up VO2max, endurance sport economy --- more power = less strokes/strides/spins with the same effort to go further --- and at a minimum it will positively impact body composition which is significantly more important than cutting weight in my opinion.  

Really shouldn't impact other training except for the first few weeks when there will be an adjustment period.  A good protein drink helps out there.  

Or you could up the intensity/volume of your workouts as you may not be burning off as much as you think.

Thanks, AJ...  all good points.

Eating "relatively clean" meaning I make what I consider to be healthy choices --  try to stay clear of simple carbohydrates unless needed to treat hypoglycemia or while training, try to eat mostly whole foods - lean protein, lots of veggies, complex carbs - steer clear of processed foods.  My exceptions to this are my daily coffee and I used to have a glass of red wine with dinner.

I have started more strength training this off-season b/c I think it does really help me.  (I'm taking a Les Mills' Body Pump class 1-2x a week.

I just got a Garmin 310xt with HRM so I'm curious to use the HRM to see just how intense I'm working out. I feel like it's pretty intense most days but maybe you're right and I could increase the intensity on some days.  Hopefully my HRM data will help me figure that out!

Thanks for your helpful comments!

2013-01-17 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4582709

User image

Regular

tkaufmann60 - 2013-01-17 11:44 AM Who is all doing Ironman Racine?

Yup.

2013-01-17 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4581873

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: About me

Troy - thanks for joining us!  You are right there are a lot of Racine racers in this group.  I think there are a bunchof us in teh Illinois/Wisconsin area so we all should try to do some training rides this summer.

Also RFP stands for "Relentless Forward Progress".  I like the poker name better though haha.  Do you still play at all?  I used to love playing online.

t-royboy - 2013-01-16 7:52 PM

2013-01-17 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4582378

User image

Expert

AJ - I think it all depends on what type of environment you ride in.  The dirtier your chain is the more dirt and grime it is gonna accumulate and cause that wear on your gearing.  I can usually tell when I need to clean it by how dirty my hand is when I touch it.  I use the chain degreaser and "White Lightning".  I make a habit out of doing this before a race - probably just to make me feel like I am actually doing something productive haha

arock84 - 2013-01-17 8:57 AM

question on bike chain cleaning and gear set cleaning and such.  read some conflicting things that say cleaning the chain is crazy you should just wipe it down and lube and when it gets decrepit replace it.  others say clean with de-greaser and all that nonsense but that seems kind of counter intuitive for stuff with internal lubrication and moving parts moving on things with internal lubrication and moving parts that may or may not have a cool paint job.  

could really care less about replacing a chain a few times a year.  just means fewer trips to the bar.  more concerned with wearing out my gear-set as that would cause all manner of irritation.  

swim went well this morning.  pretty confident i will not have a catastrophic event with that aspect and i was legitimately concerned a few weeks ago.  just keep swimming... just keep swimming... 

2013-01-17 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4583038

User image

Expert

You shouldn't be sore after every workout but you should have some that you push yourself a little harder and feel it the next day or I don't know about everyone else but I always seem to have the 2nd day delay.  I am actually pretty sore today from getting back at it probably harder than I should have.

This is where having a metric like HR or power becomes a big factor for gauging your workout effort.  Each workout should have a specific purpose - recovery, speed or endurance.  Having a target metric will help you determine if you are pushing hard enough for that specific workout.  Does that make sense?

phishinphan - 2013-01-17 2:42 PM

Here's a training question for you all...

Do you get sore? I have been working out pretty hard and I don't get sore. Am I pushing hard enough? Should I be sore after a hard day?

Pierce

2013-01-17 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI

Tim, I forgot to answer one of your questions regarding what caused my GI issues at IM WI in 2008.

My coach and I reviewed everything and never really came up with an answer other than not enough nutrition on the bike and perhaps too many solids during the run.  I was basically having issues from mile 80 of the bike through the whole run.  Not something I want to repeat this year.

So, simple is the key word for 2013 as in keep my system simple and mostly liquid.  Perform sits fine in my stomach and I have used the Honey Stinger products for the last two years with no problems during long rides and half marathon training.

Does anyone have the exact mile marker locations for the bike and run aid stations at IM WI?  The maps on the website aren't very exact.  I sort of remember where the bike aid stations are and could map them on on map my ride.  The run was one big blur, can't remember the location of very many of the aid stations.

2013-01-17 8:39 PM

User image

Regular
Joined a 1x per week, 1 hr, TRI Cycle class.  Started tonight.  It was OK. Then did a quick Mile run.  Tomorrow first swim class. 
2013-01-17 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4583099

New user
Chicago
kpringle - 2013-01-17 3:02 PM
arock84 - 2013-01-17 2:56 PM

Thanks, AJ...  all good points.

Eating "relatively clean" meaning I make what I consider to be healthy choices --  try to stay clear of simple carbohydrates unless needed to treat hypoglycemia or while training, try to eat mostly whole foods - lean protein, lots of veggies, complex carbs - steer clear of processed foods.  My exceptions to this are my daily coffee and I used to have a glass of red wine with dinner.

I have started more strength training this off-season b/c I think it does really help me.  (I'm taking a Les Mills' Body Pump class 1-2x a week.

I just got a Garmin 310xt with HRM so I'm curious to use the HRM to see just how intense I'm working out. I feel like it's pretty intense most days but maybe you're right and I could increase the intensity on some days.  Hopefully my HRM data will help me figure that out!

Thanks for your helpful comments!

The 310 is a pretty impressive watch.  Just got one myself. 

Plateauing is kind of irritating in any respect.  But as long as you step back, look at what you are doing and have some specific goals moving forward you should be able to sort it out.  Weight can be kind of misleading sometimes and it is tough to ignore the scale. There isn't a magic bullet once you get to a certain point unfortunately.  And eventually if you are healthy, feel good and are satisfied where you are at racing wise what more could you ask for?

2013-01-17 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4583352

New user
Chicago
tmoran80 - 2013-01-17 4:51 PM

AJ - I think it all depends on what type of environment you ride in.  The dirtier your chain is the more dirt and grime it is gonna accumulate and cause that wear on your gearing.  I can usually tell when I need to clean it by how dirty my hand is when I touch it.  I use the chain degreaser and "White Lightning".  I make a habit out of doing this before a race - probably just to make me feel like I am actually doing something productive haha

That makes sense.  It isn't that bad right now but going forward that is a good way to keep track of it.  Thanks. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41