General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-02-11 10:00 AM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Yardville, NJ
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Originally posted by diablo243

Originally posted by UpstateNYYeti

Hey can I get in on this group? If so I will post up my info.

5.4 Miles this morning, slow but steady. Now if I can get consistant.

He who would like to join the group of death
Must answer me
These questions three
Ere the other post they will see

What... Is your name?

What... Is your quest?

What... Is the airspeed velocity of an unlaiden swallow?

Good luck

Hilarious!

2014-02-11 10:05 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by luvschips

Good Morning!

I have been SUFFERING with sudden calf cramps! Only on the bike and this morning when I swam. I felt it tighten and then it hit hard when I pushed off the wall...

Any suggestions?

Wishing everyone a great day!

Donna

X2 on the foam roller. It works great to get rid of the cramps, etc.

Also, how is your nutrition and hydration? Dehydration can often be a cause of cramping. And yes, you can dehydrate while swimming.
2014-02-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by luvschips Good Morning! I have been SUFFERING with sudden calf cramps! Only on the bike and this morning when I swam. I felt it tighten and then it hit hard when I pushed off the wall... Any suggestions? Wishing everyone a great day! Donna

More than likely dehydration.  But, if it is happening on the bike, it might also be a bad setup on the bike, which is causing the issue in the first place.  Remember that a glass of water right before exercise is not going to help you.  You need to work on proper hydration all day every day.  I am very bad at it also.  I am improving, but I know I am still low and that is one of my normal problems.

2014-02-11 1:28 PM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I figure this is a good place as any for a first post!

NAME: Rick / username: WebFootFreak

STORY: I am a 40 year old Auto Technician in Memphis, TN and I'm currently on my third trip down the scale. I've lost from 270 to 230 twice, and life just seems to catch back up with me, and I shoot back up the scale. This time I found myself uncomfortably close to 300 (I'm 5'9" btw), and I was able to hear my heartbeat in my ears from time to time. I figured this was bad, and saw my Dr. She put me on HBP meds, and since my glucose was high, I ended up on those meds too. I made a couple of changes here and there, and somehow got back to 279. That's where my story starts this time... because that's where I started keeping track of things and actively started on a healthier path. I've seen countless Kona races, and I've always wanted to "test my mettle", so that is my first goal. I've been battling lower leg issues, so my runs (or lack thereof) aren't anything to write home about. I've been biking since Sept, and need to get back in a pool.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 10 and 2 years. We have 4 kids (14,8,5,20mos)

CURRENT TRAINING: C25K-style program that adds strength training for the lower legs. I've had to deal with stress fractures in my shins, and severe Soleus pain. I ride when I can, but due to weather it's mostly spinning on an old fan bike. I've added strength training and jumping rope.

2013 RACES/ results: Starry 4K on Dec 28th. Didn't manage a full run, but completed in 30:23.

2014 plans and RACES: St Jude 5K in April (goal is a full run), Memphis in May Sprint on 5-17 (registered as clyde, goal is to finish), Tour de Cure on May 31st (62 miles)

WEIGHTLOSS: Since I've started keeping track, I've dropped from 279 to 255. I've lost a LOT of size though. The plan is to hit 225 this year and reevaluate an end goal.
2014-02-11 1:37 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I figure this is a good place as any for a first post! NAME: Rick / username: WebFootFreak STORY: I am a 40 year old Auto Technician in Memphis, TN and I'm currently on my third trip down the scale. I've lost from 270 to 230 twice, and life just seems to catch back up with me, and I shoot back up the scale. This time I found myself uncomfortably close to 300 (I'm 5'9" btw), and I was able to hear my heartbeat in my ears from time to time. I figured this was bad, and saw my Dr. She put me on HBP meds, and since my glucose was high, I ended up on those meds too. I made a couple of changes here and there, and somehow got back to 279. That's where my story starts this time... because that's where I started keeping track of things and actively started on a healthier path. I've seen countless Kona races, and I've always wanted to "test my mettle", so that is my first goal. I've been battling lower leg issues, so my runs (or lack thereof) aren't anything to write home about. I've been biking since Sept, and need to get back in a pool. FAMILY STATUS: Married for 10 and 2 years. We have 4 kids (14,8,5,20mos) CURRENT TRAINING: C25K-style program that adds strength training for the lower legs. I've had to deal with stress fractures in my shins, and severe Soleus pain. I ride when I can, but due to weather it's mostly spinning on an old fan bike. I've added strength training and jumping rope. 2013 RACES/ results: Starry 4K on Dec 28th. Didn't manage a full run, but completed in 30:23. 2014 plans and RACES: St Jude 5K in April (goal is a full run), Memphis in May Sprint on 5-17 (registered as clyde, goal is to finish), Tour de Cure on May 31st (62 miles) WEIGHTLOSS: Since I've started keeping track, I've dropped from 279 to 255. I've lost a LOT of size though. The plan is to hit 225 this year and reevaluate an end goal.

Welcome!

2014-02-11 8:46 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Well new cockpit finally finished

photo BC90BAAE-6F33-4873-A3D7-65406685A53D_zpstqv28kdi.jpg

photo CB3DBA5E-A31C-4E85-A8FF-3BD4B36AB8AA_zpsor9scegq.jpg

photo 8F5557BA-792B-4CB8-8C74-842E91D2CD94_zpskdnvbtla.jpg

Not to shaby for a dyi job

2014-02-11 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4947533

Sweet ride! Looks good for a LBS job too.

I'm excited to see so many folks on here and to always have some new posts to read. Even though I do most of my training alone,when I read what others are doing, it's not so lonely. Thanks for the inspiration everybody.

Today was a trainer ride (intervals) in the morning, 3 mile run in the snow at lunch (the sun was out so I had to go outside). My legs are pretty sore. Luckily tomorrow is a swim, so my legs will get somewhat of a break.
2014-02-12 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Mine was a 2 Guinness and 2 taco supper, then came home and did a 5k walk on the treadmill.  Legs just are dead after 10-12 hours at work.

2014-02-12 10:46 AM

Hi,

Thanks for letting me join and sorry for the delay of my write up it has been a crazy week.

first the basics, I am 26 and live in Connecticut. I went to a division I college where i was on the track and field team. My events were the Hammer and weight throw. Throughout high school I played football and threw the shot put and hammer.

I have always been a bigger guy but since graduating in 2009 and not having the detailed workout schedule of a college athlete I let me self go. I gained about 60 pounds and went over 300.

I got into cycling in high school, nothing serious just bought a road bike (the same one i am currently riding) and started going out for short rides around town. In college I wanted to try a triathlon but always though I was too big, and at that time is was 60 pounds lighter. Last year I had a lot of people saying I wouldnt be able to do it, but I registered for a sprint tri and finished in 2 hours and 45 minutes.

at 306 pounds I was the second to last finisher, but I had done it. I joined BT last year as well and looked around a lot and read what people had to say. Reading all the post from people who are in my same situation of being bigger and working to come back and do tri's is a real motivator.

I am currently reading the book by Ben Davis called Do life and decided that this year for my training i want to be a little more structured. I have recently finished "Be Iron Fit" and decided that I would follow the beginner 32 week plan from that book but modify it to fit my needs of just a sprint tri.

So I started monday 2/10/14 and roughly 24 weeks will be the race. Along the way I have a couple planned 5k races, and me and my girlfriend are riding in the Tour de Cure in Connecticut on June 8th. This is a ride to raise money for the American Diabetes Association, and I thought it would be a good chance to get out and ride with a group. We are going to be doing the 60 mile distance which we are really excited for.

Thats pretty much the basics of how I ended up here! I hope to share my journey over the next 24 weeks and hopefully get to my race in august weighing a lot less and being able to crush my time from last year!

Thanks for reading,

Brien
2014-02-12 12:01 PM
in reply to: Woodaman09

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
CT IN THE HOUSE!!!!! Welcome my Nutmeg State brethren, glad to have you aboard, first and foremost, where in CT are you?
2014-02-12 1:21 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee

What... Is the airspeed velocity of an unlaiden swallow?

African or European?

I've just restarted my C25K which will put me finishing 2 weeks before my scheduled 5K. Ran 1K last night, and was VERY happy to be feeling no pain. Plans are to head to the Y this Friday to get that going so I can get in the swim time before May. I don't care to drown

Rick

2014-02-12 6:03 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Yardville, NJ
Busy day at work for me today, so here's a catch up post...

Welcome to our new members! We're glad to have you. Please keep us updated on your progress and feel free to post early and often!

Diablo - nice job on the cockpit! I screw my bike just trying to oil the chain! I'm not brave enough to try that kind of work. Wishing you many happy miles

My training update - last night was a planned 80 min rolling hills run. Cut it short at 45 minutes. I just wasn't feeling it and there were way too many annoyances at the Y last night.

This morning Randi and I took a TRX class. It was a great workout. Kicked my butt. I can't wait to go back!

We're getting more snow tonight and tomorrow, so I think tomorrow will be a trainer ride. Need to test that Adamo saddle.
2014-02-12 7:58 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Well it became very clear tonight, when I swim I can either count laps OR think about my stroke technique. Doing both leads to a disastrous workout! Lol 5 x 200 on tap and I think I did 3 - 150, 1 - 250 and nailed 1 actual 200 ughhhh lol

Despite that felt good in water realizing I just need to swim mindlessly through this indoor tri and then after that spend some time doing drills to work on the stroke. A week and change prior to race not a good time to mix things up ??

Welcome to new members, snowy mess on the way here as well, time to haunker down again.
2014-02-12 8:27 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
I can't count while swimming either... I start ok with 1, but them I start getting ahead of myself and say I'm finished 1 and starting 2, of was that starting2 and going on to 3. So I use a swim lap counter. It's easy to use, fits on your finger, just press the button as you turn. Easy peasy

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4026&Click...

2014-02-12 8:55 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Awesome, thanks Mike I meant to ask if anyone had experience with one. Will order for sure!
2014-02-12 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4948119

Diablo- I am in north branford where are you out of?

2014-02-12 9:57 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by Woodaman09

Diablo- I am in north branford where are you out of?

I'm in the mystic area but drive by you every day on way to work at Yale. We'll have to connect sometime for some workouts or races. Consider the O'Niantic 5K mid march and the Niantic Bay Tri in August. I'm registered for both, it would be cool to have a fellow BT member there. Message me anytime if you want to hit the gym or once weather brakes want to bike or something. Catch ya around.
2014-02-13 6:13 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Mfechter67 I can't count while swimming either... I start ok with 1, but them I start getting ahead of myself and say I'm finished 1 and starting 2, of was that starting2 and going on to 3. So I use a swim lap counter. It's easy to use, fits on your finger, just press the button as you turn. Easy peasy http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4026&C...

I use one as well, easy to use and not bulky like a watch. I had the same problem, I would get lost thinking about technique and then have no idea how was going.

2014-02-13 7:55 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Our pool is 35 lengths of the pool for a half mile swim (or close) and 70 for a mile swim.  35.2 and 70.4 to be correct, but close enough with the others.  When I was only breathing ever 4th, I would mentally say the number of the lap I was on at every breath, but I was using the gym class counting of 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 etc.......  but then I started working on stroke counts and lost track of lap counts while trying to decrease the amount of strokes I was using per lap.  So then I just started using the clock.  Or for simple like doing a 200 yard swim was a down back for a total of 4 of those, so it is pretty simple to figure out how many times because I needed to end up where I started and I knew that if I was doing a spring of a 200, that I could easily track it by the clock that is at one end of the pool in the 4 lap lane pool that we have.  I know that I need to push myself on the swimming and start doing more of the 100 yard sprints at full out and then take a minute break and do it again. and again and again and again and again...........  The 100 yard full out sprints really helped me 4 years ago when I was in much better shape.  Currently I need to get back down in weight and I am doing that by just getting back into the pool.

2014-02-13 7:59 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by flip18436572

Our pool is 35 lengths of the pool for a half mile swim (or close) and 70 for a mile swim.  35.2 and 70.4 to be correct, but close enough with the others.  When I was only breathing ever 4th, I would mentally say the number of the lap I was on at every breath, but I was using the gym class counting of 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 etc.......  but then I started working on stroke counts and lost track of lap counts while trying to decrease the amount of strokes I was using per lap.  So then I just started using the clock.  Or for simple like doing a 200 yard swim was a down back for a total of 4 of those, so it is pretty simple to figure out how many times because I needed to end up where I started and I knew that if I was doing a spring of a 200, that I could easily track it by the clock that is at one end of the pool in the 4 lap lane pool that we have.  I know that I need to push myself on the swimming and start doing more of the 100 yard sprints at full out and then take a minute break and do it again. and again and again and again and again...........  The 100 yard full out sprints really helped me 4 years ago when I was in much better shape.  Currently I need to get back down in weight and I am doing that by just getting back into the pool.

I wish our pool had a timer clock. It has a clock, a very small one in the corner that you can barely see. Especially with goggles. Counting and timing laps is all on the individual there.

2014-02-13 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Monday and Wednesday I did my run .25 miles then walk .25 miles for 3 miles. my running pace is my ideal pace I would like to have come April 1st for 4 miles. Also pretty good because that run pace is the pace I ran at (mostly) when I weighed 30 lbs less. I need to refocus and get that 30 lbs off. I guess if I can build up my run at this weight when it comes off I will be flying.

I wanted to do biking or swimming last night but I feel like I am getting sick. So I took it easy. I think if I feel up too it I will take it easy today or at least try a more of a tempo run at lunch. I think mixing it up will help burn more calories and ideally make me faster also.

For Lap counting I leave a water proof stop watch at the end of the pool. It stores 300 laps so I can know how far I went and how long it took.

I got my tax refund today so maybe I can get the garmin 910 and use that for swimming.

2014-02-13 10:25 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am currently fighting the weight roller coaster! I have been meaning to get myself back in gear with training, but unmotivated at the moment.

I am 42 and I live in Vancouver, USA. I am a Systems Analyst so I have a cubicle and sitting around all day was an issue. About mid-year last year my employer changed out my chair, and desk height to a standing format. I am 5' 11" and I was a bit north of 240 lbs.

My goal is around 200, but I would love to hit 185. That is a stretch. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer over a year ago and I am striving to be as fit as possible and to eat right. But I love sugar.

I did my first sprint tri last year along with my first duathlon. Also, I completed the STP 204 mile bike ride from Seattle to Portland in 12 hours for the first time.

I am rebuilding my tri-bike which is an older Schwinn Prologue frame along with some misc. parts. I had a KHS Flite last year, but I am eager to try the new ride. I have a Bianchi as my training and long distance ride bike.

I look forward to reading everyone's progress.

Cheers,

John
2014-02-13 10:37 AM

I'm in the mystic area but drive by you every day on way to work at Yale. We'll have to connect sometime for some workouts or races. Consider the O'Niantic 5K mid march and the Niantic Bay Tri in August. I'm registered for both, it would be cool to have a fellow BT member there. Message me anytime if you want to hit the gym or once weather brakes want to bike or something. Catch ya around.

That would be cool! I'll look at the 5k and see if it works into my schedule. I am also doing the tour de cure in Durham ct to benefit the american diabetes association it's a ride of 7, 30, 60 or 100. I am doing the 60... If it ever stops snowing
2014-02-13 10:41 AM
in reply to: Vancouvertechie

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by Vancouvertechie

Hello Everyone,

I am currently fighting the weight roller coaster! I have been meaning to get myself back in gear with training, but unmotivated at the moment.

I am 42 and I live in Vancouver, USA. I am a Systems Analyst so I have a cubicle and sitting around all day was an issue. About mid-year last year my employer changed out my chair, and desk height to a standing format. I am 5' 11" and I was a bit north of 240 lbs.

My goal is around 200, but I would love to hit 185. That is a stretch. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer over a year ago and I am striving to be as fit as possible and to eat right. But I love sugar.

I did my first sprint tri last year along with my first duathlon. Also, I completed the STP 204 mile bike ride from Seattle to Portland in 12 hours for the first time.

I am rebuilding my tri-bike which is an older Schwinn Prologue frame along with some misc. parts. I had a KHS Flite last year, but I am eager to try the new ride. I have a Bianchi as my training and long distance ride bike.

I look forward to reading everyone's progress.

Cheers,

John

Welcome John, for entrance to this group I have one simple question for you:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6817034496/h2F199367/

2014-02-13 1:31 PM

User image

NAME: AJ / Username: TRI – AJ

STORY: I played NCAA Division 1 soccer in the late 80’s (I know I am old) and wrestled, played baseball and football throughout high school. Once I graduated college I stayed active by playing soccer, running, cycling (a lot) and participated in many other active sports. Then I got married not long after and things seem to get busy. We then had children and everything went crazy however my activity slowed but not my eating. Many years passed raising kids and working……and now finally I have found time for ME as my son is now at Texas A&M and my daughter has decided to stop playing competitive volleyball at the age of 16 (whew…and that provided me a raise! HA). I currently weigh around 280 and of course fluctuate up and down depending on the week. I love cycling and running some, but I seem to swim like a rock. However, I have been following this event on TV called the Ironman – Kona for about 8 years and finally got to the point where I want to attempt to “TRI”! My downfall is that I am truly built like a middle linebacker/wrestler and will never look like your “typical” triathlete. Lastly, this “TRI” thing has been haunting me for years and is my next adventure and there are no more excuses. So…hello to all and I will need much support to get and keep going!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 21yrs. We have 2 kids (19yrs & 16yrs)

CURRENT TRAINING: I jog 4x a week and ride 2 – 3x. I am not sure what plan to start. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

2013 RACES/ results: A few 5k’s but they were not timed as they were for charity.

2014 plans and RACES: My 2014 plan is to find the right plan and stick to it. I would like to complete my first TRI by the summer.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not fast enough however I have lost 20lbs since January 1st but need to become active at a more strenuous pace. I would like to lose another 60 – 70lbs by years end.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28162 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100348 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?