BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-06 8:27 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
If you are out in VT you should look around in the stores for the Unibroue beers from Quebec (if you like strong beers that is) La Fin du Monde is one of my fav's from them.

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Those. Are. Excellent. Glasses. I am going to have to do some Google shopping to find some. Love it.

So if anyone signs up for the Lake Placid, NY IM, there are a lot of great beers here! A quick trip across Lake Champlain to Burlington, VT and you've got micro-brew heaven. - Zero Gravity Brewing, Magic Hat (not as much a fan), Switchback (heaven on Earth), Fiddlehead Brewing Co., Vermont Pub & Brewery, close by: Otter Creek Brewing and The Alchemist. I feel like a chamber of commerce.

Rest day for me - upper, right gastrocnemius is irritated a bit. Rolling it, massage, and rest today.

Early am ride tomorrow followed by a swim I'm hoping.

Cheers,
Jenn

2014-06-06 8:40 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Progress Update:

Legs were tired yesterday so planned on an early morning swim at the YMCA vs. a bike commute in. Battled on the train for space and reaffirmed that I much prefer to ride in, tired or not. Got to the Y in good time to discover that I left my suit at home Monday’s plan will be to complete a Ride/Swim brick. Is that still a brick? I assume it will count as 2 as long as I meet the min times?

Envious of you in the south this morning when my bike ride in was a balmy 1C (34F), at least no snow! But hey 8/28 complete at is only June 6!
2014-06-06 9:14 AM

User image

, Vermont
5/28 this morning with an early morning (up at 4:45) ride. Same route of just over 20 miles but with friends on hybrids so slower - though I found this almost more difficult than when I cruise. (1:25)
Hoping to swim today too but we'll see.

Jeff, I'll keep my eye out for those! Thanks!

Cheers,
Jenn
2014-06-06 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Jeakins Progress Update: Legs were tired yesterday so planned on an early morning swim at the YMCA vs. a bike commute in. Battled on the train for space and reaffirmed that I much prefer to ride in, tired or not. Got to the Y in good time to discover that I left my suit at home Monday’s plan will be to complete a Ride/Swim brick. Is that still a brick? I assume it will count as 2 as long as I meet the min times? Envious of you in the south this morning when my bike ride in was a balmy 1C (34F), at least no snow! But hey 8/28 complete at is only June 6!

You are correct on the Brick. Did you see the snow in Longview? Damn cold this morning!

Funny, I missed my swim this morning as well...must be a Friday mental breakdown!

2014-06-06 9:24 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by aviatrix802 5/28 this morning with an early morning (up at 4:45) ride. Same route of just over 20 miles but with friends on hybrids so slower - though I found this almost more difficult than when I cruise. (1:25) Hoping to swim today too but we'll see. Jeff, I'll keep my eye out for those! Thanks! Cheers, Jenn

Great job on the 20 mile bike!

Nice to have company that early in the morning for a bike ride.

2014-06-06 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Jeakins

If you are out in VT you should look around in the stores for the Unibroue beers from Quebec (if you like strong beers that is) La Fin du Monde is one of my fav's from them.

There is nothing I can do or say that adequately expresses my love for La Fin du Monde. The only downside is that I like tasting new beers so much, that I have it very rarely.

2014-06-06 1:21 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

6/28 as of yesterday, planning a definite long bike tonight. I'm hoping to get to the pool at lunch but work may get in the way.

Mostly I'm happy about my brick yesterday. The last one I attempted I spent WAY too long on the bike and I wasn't able to get the run in past five minutes, but yesterday I did a half hour ride and 20 minute run with no problem, so I'm going to start working from there. I could have finished 5K no problem yesterday, and it was warm, but I didn't want to overdo it.

Ended the day with a couple of beers along the bike path. Planning to do the same tonight. :-) Tomorrow will be a rest day as we are driving across the state.
2014-06-06 2:56 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

New user
Madrid
Fully agree!! Still between Bangalore and Mumbai, just running in the treadmill -booring- but, can´t complain as being in this part of the world I can see how lucky we are. It is just impossible to go running in the cities -no sidewalks-, how tough is to work 16 hours a day 7 days a week -holidays?-, and how good to have variety (KingFisher is a great refreshment, but I would not call it beer, specially in this forum, and this comes from a wine drinker).

A bit worried for 5 days with short and unusual workouts: not used to have a full rest week, will this be affecting my Sprint at the end of June? Will let you know....

Originally posted by podemma

Originally posted by Juancho Yes, wine -specially red- is full of antioxidants and resveratrol, great for aging. But mainly, great to drink, share and enjoy with family and friends (very much like our sport). This days in India for work, so just 30min run on the gym -booooring-, can´t wait to get back home (Spain) on Monday for a long run. Kingfisher is the main beer here, nothing that would impress you guys. Latvian beers! ...so ignorant... Good luck for those racing this weekend!
Originally posted by aviatrix802 Wine is good! Nothing wrong with wine - antioxidants, right?! I have a case of red delivered to my house every other month! (hey, it's my only "subscription") haha 4/28 with a ride today. Same 20+ miler in 1:14. Sunny and rolling hills. Interesting side note - I passed an opposite direction cyclist, waved hello and about 5 minutes later he pulled up next to me on the ride. Turns out he's a 1K2Go team cyclist and we had a great chat on the way back in including some training tips. The first half of my ride was not impressive at all - felt whipped, but chatting it up I turned the second half into my first even split ever on that route without "feeling it". I was pretty psyched! He mentioned they need more females on their team which happens to be sponsored by Felt - which happens to be the brand bike I have which happens to be the cyclist's opening line - "hey, nice Felt!" LOL Anyway, had to share because even when a workout might start out crappy, you never know what may come of it. Cheers all! Jenn

Just got home from India a 1.5 weeks ago.  Lots of time in the hotel gym, very Booring!

Kingfisher is not what I would call a good beer.

2014-06-06 6:39 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

200303.jpg

(200303.jpg)

(200303.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
200303.jpg (197KB - 2 downloads)
200303.jpg (197KB - 3 downloads)
2014-06-06 6:54 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

I have a 145km club ride tomorrow but that won't stop be from pounding.....errr.. sampling... these tonight. I've had the Muskoka before. They brew some delicious beer. The Waterloo isn't bad and the IPA on the far right wasn't quite as hoppy as I'd like, on the lower side of the IBUs for an IPA. I don't expect much from the AC/DC beer but it was a fun novelty beer, if anything. 

As far as training goes, I did 1380m in open water at 1:46/100m and then a 30km ride. Now that I have a wetsuit I've been doing all my swims in open water. I don't think I can go back to the pool now. It's so much more relaxing to see trees and and nature when I roll for air and the cool fresh water is refreshing. 

I have an Olympic Tri in two weeks and based on last year's results I should be finishing 5th or better in my age group if everything goes according to plan. 

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. 

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo.JPG (2483KB - 4 downloads)
2014-06-06 7:07 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

I have a 145km club ride tomorrow but that won't stop be from pounding.....errr.. sampling... these tonight. I've had the Muskoka before. They brew some delicious beer. The Waterloo isn't bad and the IPA on the far right wasn't quite as hoppy as I'd like, on the lower side of the IBUs for an IPA. I don't expect much from the AC/DC beer but it was a fun novelty beer, if anything. 

As far as training goes, I did 1380m in open water at 1:46/100m and then a 30km ride. Now that I have a wetsuit I've been doing all my swims in open water. I don't think I can go back to the pool now. It's so much more relaxing to see trees and and nature when I roll for air and the cool fresh water is refreshing. 

I have an Olympic Tri in two weeks and based on last year's results I should be finishing 5th or better in my age group if everything goes according to plan. 

Alan - It's pics like the one you just posted that make me glad youre in the group! It gives me hope that the beer we share at the finish line at IMMT will be worth every single one of the 140.6 miles.

Enjoy the ride!

2014-06-06 7:24 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sandishr

6/28 as of yesterday, planning a definite long bike tonight. I'm hoping to get to the pool at lunch but work may get in the way.

Mostly I'm happy about my brick yesterday. The last one I attempted I spent WAY too long on the bike and I wasn't able to get the run in past five minutes, but yesterday I did a half hour ride and 20 minute run with no problem, so I'm going to start working from there. I could have finished 5K no problem yesterday, and it was warm, but I didn't want to overdo it.

Ended the day with a couple of beers along the bike path. Planning to do the same tonight. :-) Tomorrow will be a rest day as we are driving across the state.

Way to go on the successful brick! The fact that you were able to do it and that it was "no problem" shows that you are getting stronger and tougher! Sounds like you have earned a rest day and a couple of icy cold beverages!
2014-06-06 7:38 PM

User image

Expert

Progress Update:

Legs were tired yesterday so planned on an early morning swim at the YMCA vs. a bike commute in. Battled on the train for space and reaffirmed that I much prefer to ride in, tired or not. Got to the Y in good time to discover that I left my suit at home Monday’s plan will be to complete a Ride/Swim brick. Is that still a brick? I assume it will count as 2 as long as I meet the min times?

Envious of you in the south this morning when my bike ride in was a balmy 1C (34F), at least no snow! But hey 8/28 complete at is only June 6!

Jeff - there is nothing more frustrating then battling to get a workout in and then leaving something at home. That happened to me a few times before I realized that paying for the overnight lockers were worth every penny! You'll make up for it on Monday keep the faith!
2014-06-06 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
I've started doing OWS once a week with a group of Dads who live in my town. Today - we got to the reservoir at 5:45 and got to work. Swimming at sunrise is amazingly beautiful and peaceful - the way the sun hits the water - it's almost relaxing. I didn't push the pace but just enjoyed myself. Awesome. Then I got a two hour bike in this afternoon which wasn't so awesome with my wife getting more and more frustrated with my teen age son with every mile I rode. Midway through the ride - he got invited to a friends house for the weekend and I found myself standing on the side of the rode trying to work out the details with my wife. Not quite as peaceful! Luckily - the last half hour was interruption free and I was able to relax as I rode home. I had a Narragansett Shandy - which was only enjoyable due to the 2 hour bike ride. Beer like that isn't going to cut it.

Right now - my two biggest challenges are 1) I'm not doing the little things - like stretching and icing. And while I'm still able to train, I've got a hunch that skimping on things like that may wind up biting me in the a$$. And 2 - I'm eating soo poorly. I think today will be the first day in a week that I will finish under my calorie count. And while that is a victory, I need to have weeks of victories in order to drop the weight to make IMMT a little easier and more enjoyable. Those will be my goals for next week.

Have a good weekend everyone!
2014-06-06 8:18 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Clarkey77 All these pictures of beers are driving me crazy! Nice little workout for me today 35 min of upper body strength followed up by a nice HiiT stationary bike ride.

Great job on getting the workout in. Any reason you are not outside riding? Waaaay nicer riding outside...well except for Alberta where it is supposed to be a high of 48F with rain and a low of 36 tomorrow night...

Didn't ride outside because

1 - main reason - bike is still in a state of repair. left it at my BIL as I am still getting it going/tuning.

2 - no bike but wanted to crank the RPM every 2 min and cannot always do that on the open road.

Plus - Im still a little skittish on the open road - there I said it.
2014-06-06 8:25 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

Progress Update:

Jeff - there is nothing more frustrating then battling to get a workout in and then leaving something at home. That happened to me a few times before I realized that paying for the overnight lockers were worth every penny! You'll make up for it on Monday keep the faith!

1 thing more frustrating than forgetting something - Remembering everything and arriving to find the pool closed because someone pooped in it!
--happened to me 3 times in Mar/Apr leading up to my 1st and only tri!

2014-06-06 9:01 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Clarkey77

Originally posted by Qua17

Progress Update:

1 thing more frustrating than forgetting something - Remembering everything and arriving to find the pool closed because someone pooped in it!
--happened to me 3 times in Mar/Apr leading up to my 1st and only tri!

Yea - that is a crappy situation. I had the same thing happen to me 2x. First time, they shocked the pool but didn't close it. I got six laps in before the burning in my eyes and mouth became too much. A few months later - someone poohed again and they closed the pool for three days. I have to say I was kind of (wait for it)... relieved
2014-06-06 9:06 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Clarkey77
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Clarkey77 All these pictures of beers are driving me crazy! Nice little workout for me today 35 min of upper body strength followed up by a nice HiiT stationary bike ride.

Great job on getting the workout in. Any reason you are not outside riding? Waaaay nicer riding outside...well except for Alberta where it is supposed to be a high of 48F with rain and a low of 36 tomorrow night...

Didn't ride outside because 1 - main reason - bike is still in a state of repair. left it at my BIL as I am still getting it going/tuning. 2 - no bike but wanted to crank the RPM every 2 min and cannot always do that on the open road. Plus - Im still a little skittish on the open road - there I said it.

No worries! I so get it where you are coming from. I started with "free" ten speed. it never really left the garage. It was followed by a hundred dollar bike. I was also verrrrrrry skittish on the roads. around here it is quad cab 4x4 jacked up trucks while texting..love the rumble strips! 

all workouts are good! consistency is king!!

2014-06-06 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 I've started doing OWS once a week with a group of Dads who live in my town. Today - we got to the reservoir at 5:45 and got to work. Swimming at sunrise is amazingly beautiful and peaceful - the way the sun hits the water - it's almost relaxing. I didn't push the pace but just enjoyed myself. Awesome. Then I got a two hour bike in this afternoon which wasn't so awesome with my wife getting more and more frustrated with my teen age son with every mile I rode. Midway through the ride - he got invited to a friends house for the weekend and I found myself standing on the side of the rode trying to work out the details with my wife. Not quite as peaceful! Luckily - the last half hour was interruption free and I was able to relax as I rode home. I had a Narragansett Shandy - which was only enjoyable due to the 2 hour bike ride. Beer like that isn't going to cut it. Right now - my two biggest challenges are 1) I'm not doing the little things - like stretching and icing. And while I'm still able to train, I've got a hunch that skimping on things like that may wind up biting me in the a$$. And 2 - I'm eating soo poorly. I think today will be the first day in a week that I will finish under my calorie count. And while that is a victory, I need to have weeks of victories in order to drop the weight to make IMMT a little easier and more enjoyable. Those will be my goals for next week. Have a good weekend everyone!

Post race stress disorder...you build and build and then the let down after and you let your hair down..plus celebrating a new job...congrats!!!

just over a year and i will have a teen...yikes. You know what it takes to be successful. I am completely confident you will right the ship and be successful!!

2014-06-06 9:14 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Finally!! I can comment on some beers!!

Big rock IPA..love big rock in general but weak IPA...good grass cutting beer(read, large consumption) they do have another ipa  that is better.

Hops and Robbers....meh, not good, not bad..price wise okay(for alberta)

I have had the Muskoka but only the IPA...decent beer, easy drinking.

Waterloo....pretty much the same as muskoka...

It is great to see everyone training' and drinking!!

Originally posted by adempsey10

2014-06-06 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

My beautiful wife picked me up a dozen beer tonite from my favourite brewery.

http://phillipsbeer.com

they are my go to for IPA's but this time she picked me up a variety pack of some of the other beers they have.

Not IPA's but a good drinking experience none the less! 

Tomorrow, 5k run to pool followed by swim with my wife. bike ride with bride later.

Playing with kids in-between! Love the weekends! Work to live not live to work!!

2014-06-07 7:32 AM

User image

I had two Oskar Blues Pork Slaps last night - a value beer.

tasted good and was very refreshing.

Oskars higher end stuff is much much better.

Limited myself to 2! watching 2+ hours of Bellator and only having 2 was tough.

Off to the gym!
2014-06-07 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Update time 4/6 for the month so far, missed my swim yesterday because of thunderstorms and tornado warnings. It was a rough week, we had to take our 13 year old out of town the first couple of days of the week for baseball tournaments and didn't get home until midnight, making for tired parents. They did well, they won the first game but lost the second. They did manage to finish up the regular season undefeated though! I have managed to stick with the Rushfit workouts for the first week only 7 more weeks to go! Hopefully I can get in a swim this afternoon, but that depends on the rain. Plans for this week include:
-2 bikes
- 2 runs
- 1 brick
- 2 swims
- 2nd week of Rushfit
I want to share with everyone a cool app I found through FeedingAmerica. If you go to Charitymiles.org you can download their app that will track your runs and bikes. They will donate ten cents per mile for your bike or 25 cents per mile for your run or walk to a charity of your choice. Once you download the app, there is a list of charities to choose from. Hey we can all be sponsored athletes now! Hope everyone has a great week!
2014-06-07 8:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Need to ask the group a question. This morning - I woke up focused about getting refocused about nutrition. My goal is to lose 2 pounds per week over the next ten weeks and drop 20 lbs before IMMT. Doing so will help me avoid injury and enjoy the day more and accomplishing that goal is realistic because I set my calories deficit for 1200 calories a day - so I'm consuming about 1300 calories. But, my workouts leave me at an even larger deficit - more like 1500 and 1800 on the weekends. I don't think this is healthy or the right way to approach the weight loss. So my question is - should I eat more (actually try to come as close to my deficit as possible) with the goal of boosting my metabolism or should I just continue to run a larger deficit with the hopes of meeting my ultimate goal which is to lose 25 pounds between now and the race?

Edited by Qua17 2014-06-07 9:00 AM
2014-06-07 2:41 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
I would not focus on absolute weight loss but rather on relative weight loss based on BMI. Why 20 or 25 pounds? Why not 10, or why not 50? Weight is a very subjective way of assessing health. My suggestion, not being a nutricionist nor an expert on weight management -but gynecologist, and trying to help pregnant women with weight gain- is to loose 'what you need to loose'. Does it sound like I said nothing? Well may be, but eat conciously, focus on proteins mainly, little of the other two -but some-, and train as you are doing. Focussing on a low calorie diet at this stage not only will increase your risk of injuries but you will be feeling extremely tired, so your training may suffer. And, if you are 10 pounds over your target weight at IMMT, so what??? You will have trained like crazy to reach the end. Good luck!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51169 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19838 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.