BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-06-17 6:38 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: First triathlon -- a success!

Originally posted by KWDreamun

Scott another swim question. I can swim 100 ok but after that i get tired and panicky, if I rest I can do it again. My question is how to i get over the hump of continuous swimming w/o stopping at the side of the pool to rest, no rest stops in OWS.

Hi Karl,

Obviously I haven't seen you swim.  That said, if you can only go 100 yards before you "get tired and panicky," I suspect your technique could use some improvement and your swim fitness is probably non-existent.  Sorry for being blunt but you asked.

You clearly have some level of fitness because you are regularly running, etc.  However, that does not always directly translate into fitness in the pool.  Especially when there are technique flaws.  I have a saying that applies to new or struggling swimmers, they try to "beat the water into submission."  Let me explain - newer or inexperienced swimmers tend to not be very smooth in the water.  They tend to have quite a lot of splash from "beating on the water," which wastes energy.  They likely have very poor hand entry into the water and a non-existent catch so, more often then not, their first stroke movement is sideways or down, not back.  The ineffective or absent catch results in an inefficient pull through the water.  That wastes energy and doesn't provide much forward momentum.  It is not uncommon to see new swimmers "snake" down the pool, brought about by inefficient and/or unequal stroke, little or no body roll and often they have a poor kick.  On top of all of that, those same swimmers generally have very poor body position in the water which creates a huge amount of drag making it that much more difficult to move through the water.   I have seen swimmers that have been swimming for quite some time that have some or all of those problems or any of a number of other problems to  numerous to mention.

For that swimmer, there is no swim fitness per se because they lack effective stroke technique.  Swim fitness flows out of training with proper technique.

All of those problems together conspire against success in the water.  That struggling swimmer expends a GREAT deal of energy with very little movement through the water.  They figure, "I just need to go faster," so they begin to speed up their turnover rate and try to kick harder and are expending even MORE energy with very little movement through the water.  After just a couple laps (in a short course pool, maybe not even a single lap in a long course pool), they are completely thrashed and hanging on the wall gasping for air.  As if all of that isn't enough, that same struggling swimmer KNOWS he/she is struggling and the lack of confidence in the water often leads to panic which raises the heart rate even higher making it that much more difficult to improve.  Sadly, that is the point where many people just say "insert expletive of your choice" and get out of the pool, never to look back again.

A lot of people would tell that swimmer at this point that they just need to swim further, that they're struggling because they haven't put in enough yards.  The fallacy of that advice is that is does not address the real problem - poor technique.  I think I probably say this at least once a week to someone, "You can swim thousands of yards but if your technique is poor, you are wasting your time."  As you have said, you have already tried putting in the yards and all that got you was frustration.

I say break the cycle.  Learn proper technique and start making progress instead of just going in circles.

Last "season" there was a woman in our mentor group that could not swim 25 yards without having to hang on the wall in near panic, gasping for breath (sound familiar?).  I developed a plan for her and in 14 weeks she progressed to doing a sprint triathlon (750 yard swim).  Let me be clear - SHE did the work, I only take credit for making a couple of suggestions.  If you are interested, I will be happy to share the plan we developed because I suspect it is exactly the plan that will help you succeed in conquering the swim.

2014-06-17 6:40 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Scott K – I’ll get back to you after I read the “book”. I was back in the pool yesterday and have some questions for you if you don’t mind.

Janet

Janet,

Nothing makes me happier than helping someone improve their swimming.  I will be happy to try and answer any question you may have.

2014-06-17 8:31 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Some Training Suggestions

Originally posted by lutzman

Hey Scott:

Thanks for the great post. You've inspired me to make bi-lateral breathing my training goal for this fall once I'm able to get back to the pool. With limited time to train I just haven't been willing to spend the time to do it and it's a great off-season goal. Since I'll be starting from scratch in the the fall it will be a perfect time for me to change it up.

The one area I would debate you on would be the incremental training yardage that you list. I agree with your base totals....2500-3300 yards per workout on an Olympic seems about right. Where I disagree would be the (borrowing from my old econ textbook) the marginal utility of doubling that amount of swimming to hit 6-8 swim workouts per week with that much more time at the pool.

Here's my rationale: to double up on the swim training distances would add 3-4 hours per week of training. My hypothesis is if I had an extra three to four hours to train, I would be more likely to improve my overall competitiveness by putting that time in on the bike or the run vs. the swim.

If I look at my results at the Sprint Nationals, my swim time was 12:58 on the 750 meters. The top 55-59 AG swimmer in the race was 11:01. So, I gave up 2 minutes on the swim in an event that lasted about one hour. If you double that for Olympic distance then I would be giving up 4-5 minutes in an event lasting around 2:20 or so. In Boise I gave up about 6 minutes to the top swimmer in an event that would have been (wihout my crash) around 5.5 hours. So, my belief is that IF I had another 3-4 hours to train (beyond the base 3-4 workouts/distances you listed), I would have a much better chance of eliminating the previously listed swim deficits by instead using that time to make marginal improvements in my cycling or running times. The upside to dedicating the additional training time to swim training to be one of the first guys out of the water just isn't big enough.

That said, when I got started in Tri's my swim times were so bad that any shot at a podium was gone before I even got to T1. So, I worked pretty hard to get my swim times down. And while I'm still dedicated to pushing my swim skills much further, the balancing act of trying to race stronger by allocating total weekly training time across three sports remains a HUGE challenge.

Thoughts?

Steve

Steve,

My work here is done if you are going to learn bi-lateral breathing!  As I said, I don't often breath to both sides during a race, or even during workouts for that matter - however I maintain the skill.  Out here, many of our triathlons are held in the ocean - where the waves are often big, the wind is often strong, and bi-lateral breathing is an absolute must.  At some point, you will thank yourself for taking the time to develop the bi-lateral breathing skill.

In my earlier post, when I talked about doubling the yardage to "become fast," I was trying to illustrate that it takes a substantial increase in yards to become a fast swimmer and I wasn't thinking doubling the number of workouts so much as I was talking about doubling the distance in the existing workouts.  Doubling the number of workouts adds a great deal of time because then you would have double the transit time, double the locker room time, etc.  Whereas doubling the yardage within the existing workouts only doubles the actual amount of time in the pool.  But yes, that still adds a number of hours per week to your overall training time.

When we start talking about the diminishing returns of adding several hours of swim training into the big picture of training for all the various disciplines within a triathlon then the equation becomes much more difficult to solve.  I think the first step towards an answer is the athlete must determine what his/her goals are.  If the athlete is content to go out and just complete a triathlon then the minimum swim yardage I talked about will generally serve them well.  If an athlete wants to be competitive or has hopes of an age-group podium finish, then they are going to likely need to be near the upper end of the base yardage, if not slightly more.

As your goals go higher, then the challenges become greater.  If an athlete has the desire to have an overall podium finish, then he/she probably does not want to give away several minutes on the swim unless they have an exceptionally strong bike/run leg.  That gets us to the circular argument that you presented.  Should I spend several more hours in the pool improving my swim or should I put that time into my cycling or the run?

For you or I as well as most of the others in our group, metabolic changes that occur in a 50+ year old body present a nearly impenetrable obstacle to competing head to head with a 30-something year old athlete so an overall podium, while not impossible, is HIGHLY unlikely.  That said, there are still a number of options for us old people.  Sprint Triathlon National Championships come to mind.  If you want to podium there, you better be on your game cause those people are fast and they are fast across the board.  If you want to do well, you have to be equally fast - across the board, which means you probably need to be putting in a LOT of yards in the pool.  If you come out of the water 2-3 minutes behind, there simply may not  be time to catch up.

Then there is that little thing known simply as KQ, or Kona qualify.  Of course, when you start talking about that, you are talking about an athlete, who even at the amateur level, is rapidly approaching the training volume of a professional athlete.

I think as the race distance increases, the question of how to manage overall training time may actually become a bit easier to answer.  Looking at a full iron distance and taking your swim as an example.  You averaged 1:43.8/100 yards for the sprint tri.  If you trained at the upper end of the base yardage ranges I talked about (adjusted of course for the full iron distance) you would likely be able to hold that pace over the full iron distance.  That would have put you 31st out of the water  in our age group last year at Kona in approximately 1:12:00.0.  The 55-59 age group winner at Kona was out of the water in 1:13:00.0 and he was 134 overall.  The first 55-59 male out of the water was at 0:57:30.0, however he finished 17th in the age group and 1,025 overall.  Obviously to complete a full iron swim in less than an hour, that athlete was likely in the water doing the upper end of the doubled yardage I talked about and his slower bike and/or run showed in his lower AG and overall finish.  That would seem to support the idea of putting the additional time in to the other disciplines - at least at the full iron distance.

I don't think there is an easy answer to the question of how do I balance my training time.  For me, I try to balance my training with a focus on my weakness.  My point in talking about the swim yardage necessary to go fast was to show how much more yardage (and time) it takes to become a fast swimmer.  I wasn't necessarily saying that an athlete should do that, certainly not a new age-group athlete or one that doesn't have high aspirations.

2014-06-17 9:13 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Hi Karl,

I was in your position just a few months ago, so perhaps my experience will help. As Scott said, I had poor form, was swimming up hill, kicking frantically with my legs, and beating the water into submission with my arms. The first thing I did was get some expert advice to help me improve my technique but even then I found myself getting tired and falling back into bad habits after a 100 yards or so. Two suggestions helped me most at that point:

1. My instructor said "Don't practice bad technique!". If you find things go bad after 100 yards, swim a bunch of 50's instead and regroup for a few second after each 50. I was able to get in 1000 or 1500 yards in a session without ever practicing bad technique - and it helped.

2. I learned a two-beat kick. I had an 6-beat kick that was sucking out all my energy reserves. The kick adds little to the propulsion - it is mostly to keep you level and help rotate your body. My 2-beat kick uses far less energy than my old 6-beat kick. Once I got that working, I was able to go 500 yards at a shot. I've since learned a more efficient 6-beat kick, but I prefer the two beat kick for longer distances.

Don't get discouraged. You'll get past this hurdle!

Scott I.

2014-06-17 9:22 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Thanks Scott, yea I'm taking al the suggestions here, throwing away the kickboard, and swimming using the 2 kick instead of kicking like a madmad. That makes sense, kicking so hard is just plain tiring.

I love this groug, so informative.

Thanks for everyone's input!
2014-06-17 11:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

Steve

Steve,

My work here is done if you are going to learn bi-lateral breathing!  As I said, I don't often breath to both sides during a race, or even during workouts for that matter - however I maintain the skill.  That said, there are still a number of options for us old people.  Sprint Triathlon National Championships come to mind.  If you want to podium there, you better be on your game cause those people are fast and they are fast across the board.  If you want to do well, you have to be equally fast - across the board, which means you probably need to be putting in a LOT of yards in the pool.  If you come out of the water 2-3 minutes behind, there simply may not  be time to catch up.

Then there is that little thing known simply as KQ, or Kona qualify.  Of course, when you start talking about that, you are talking about an athlete, who even at the amateur level, is rapidly approaching the training volume of a professional athlete.

Scott 

As always Scott...a fabulous, thoughtful response.

I admire your KQ goal or completing ANY Iron distance triathlon for that matter. HIM is more than enough pain in one day for me!

I uploaded the data from my Garmin 910 and bike computer yesterday. Crazy to see all the data lines on the computer suddenly go to zero....except for heart rate thank goodneess! It was interesting to look at the bike splits, check the speed and distance to where I crashed. It was a pretty easy step to then use that data to project a range of finishing times for the bike leg given my speed up to that point and 4.5 miles left to go that were flat to moderately downhill. 2:46-2:47 probably where I would have come in. Based on the finishing times for my AG with just an average transition and then a competent run on the half (1:45-1:55) I would have been right on pace for 5th place (worst) or possibly even 3rd place (best). I was really feeling pretty good on the bike and that 8:00 pace run would have been right in my wheel house. Cie la vie.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-06-17 11:34 AM

2014-06-17 1:08 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

My instructor said "Don't practice bad technique!". If you find things go bad after 100 yards, swim a bunch of 50's instead and regroup for a few second after each 50. I was able to get in 1000 or 1500 yards in a session without ever practicing bad technique

Scott I.

For new swimmers I even take this further.  I tell those I work with, if you fatigue to the point that your stroke begins to break down, extend your rest period.  If that does not correct the stroke, get out of the water, go home, and try again next time.

Your right, you are doing yourself a disservice to continue trying to swim once your mechanics have broken down.

My theory is this.  The biggest factor in stroke degradation is typically fatigue.  The root of fatigue however is generally lactic acid.  New swimmers spend virtually ALL there time swimming anaerobically.  In your example, switching from 100's to 50's, while that may seem to resolve the problem, you are likely still right at threshold and your stroke, while better, is still not "perfect" because of lactic acid.  Because newer swimmers are generally swimming anaerobic from the start, I keep the sets to repetitions of 25 and have them do maybe 12-16 which keeps the initial workouts to 400 yards or less.  The entire focus is technique.  There will be plenty of time to develop a base once technique is correct.  In any case, taking a couple of weeks to dial in a new swimmer is not going to put any kind of dent in to overall training goals.

Technique comes first!

2014-06-17 1:53 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Scott another swim question. I can swim 100 ok but after that i get tired and panicky, if I rest I can do it again. My question is how to i get over the hump of continuous swimming w/o stopping at the side of the pool to rest, no rest stops in OWS.

Hi Karl,

Obviously I haven't seen you swim.  That said, if you can only go 100 yards before you "get tired and panicky," I suspect your technique could use some improvement and your swim fitness is probably non-existent.  Sorry for being blunt but you asked.

You clearly have some level of fitness because you are regularly running, etc.  However, that does not always directly translate into fitness in the pool.  Especially when there are technique flaws.  I have a saying that applies to new or struggling swimmers, they try to "beat the water into submission." 

Karl--

Your initial question and Scott's explanation above exactly describe my start in triathlon four years ago. At the time I was OK in cycling but I had pretty strong run fitness for a 55 year old guy (sub-20 5K times). So when I decided to take up triathlon I got to the pool thinking my fitness would carry over pretty well.

Wrong.

I literally could not swim one lap of the 25 yard pool without stopping and holding the side gasping for breath. I felt like I was doing intervals on the track I was so out of breath. I would not describe my feeling in the water as "panic" because I could put my feet on the bottom of the pool at any time. But there was definitely a feeling of "holy crap, I could get in trouble pretty quickly out in the water." My swim stroke was exactly what Scott describes...completely inefficient,beating the water versus actually swimming.

I did get better with stroke practice and persistence. There is no substitute and if you're dedicated you'll get there. And your carryover fitness on other sports will then pay dividends. What really helped me was getting a swim coach for several individual practice sessions. Despite the excellent internet descriptions provided by folks like Scott, I found it really hard to see which of my flaws were causing the most trouble (the old 80/20 rule). Just several 30 minute sessions with a swim coach had me focused on fixing basics that were not all that hard to correct....once diagnosed.

So hang in there. You can make significant progress just through focused training. If you can get a few sessions with a coach, it will go that much faster.

Good luck!

Steve

2014-06-17 7:25 PM

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Taking the time to help is the best gift you can give people and i appreciate the TIME it took to do all that figuring of some kind of workout program for me. Of course i won't follow it to the letter but be assured i will use it as a base model in training. I got in the pool today and visited the swim smooth web site. My workout went well i did 10 X 50 with a time of 1min/ 50. so after completing that workout i felt so good i did a 75, 100, 200. all the while watching for what little technique i have to break down. i did slow a bit but just by 5 sec. or so. not doing flips at the end of each lap slows me a bit.i concentrated on my hand stroke through the water and keeping my butt up a little. I plan to get in the pool much more just to get a feel for the water.
2014-06-17 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4996430

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
Hello!

I'm looking for some guidance. I'm planning my first mini tri this fall. I'm an out of shape 53 yr old woman with bad knees. I believe with the right training and commitment I can do this. I always do better with tangible goals and getting a medal for just finishing is goal enough. If you're available let me know and we can chat.i did 10 laps in the pool a couple weeks ago and a month ago I biked 15 miles. Not bad for an old fat lady!!! I figured if I train right, I can do all three with minimal breaks.hope to hear from you soon,

Thanks
Kim
(Yurtgirl2000)
2014-06-17 11:31 PM
in reply to: yurtgirl2000

User image

Regular
Originally posted by yurtgirl2000

Hello!

I'm looking for some guidance. I'm planning my first mini tri this fall. I'm an out of shape 53 yr old woman with bad knees. I believe with the right training and commitment I can do this. I always do better with tangible goals and getting a medal for just finishing is goal enough. If you're available let me know and we can chat.i did 10 laps in the pool a couple weeks ago and a month ago I biked 15 miles. Not bad for an old fat lady!!! I figured if I train right, I can do all three with minimal breaks.hope to hear from you soon,

Thanks
Kim
(Yurtgirl2000)

Post up your questions Kim. We've got a lot of folks with a range of experience. I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.

Steve

2014-06-18 4:18 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Race report Empire State Senior Games
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

I just checked, and triathlon isn't even offered at the Washington State Senior Games. I wonder how Washington citizens qualify for the National Senior Games.

Scott I.

Oregon has an qualifying event June 21 in Bend, open to out-of-state residents. Don't know if there's a cut-off for entry.
It'll be expensive to go to the Nationals next year, but I found them so inspiring last year I'm going to try to go.
Deb
2014-06-18 4:22 AM
in reply to: mknoonan06

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Race report Empire State Senior Games
Originally posted by mknoonan06

Sounds like a great time ! As a fellow NY'er I didn't even know this event existed for Seniors! Where was it held?

It was at Deruyter Lake east of Syracuse. Where are you in upstate NY? I have Broome, Cayuga, & Skinnyman yet to do. Are you doing any of these?
Deb
2014-06-18 4:46 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by dogwoman

Loved reading the race reports......I'm jealous... I can't wait to be able report something other than my workouts and how I'm not measuring up. Your posts are very positive for me and keep me going!

5 years ago I bought a $180 ill-fitting hybrid bike off Craig's List and worked all summer to be able to ride 12 miles for a local race.
The next year, I managed to run 3 miles without walking, and also did the bike leg of a Sprint Tri relay (on a 30-year old steel road bike someone gave me, also ill-fitting). That fall I did my first triathlon solo, an all-women event with a very short 1/4 mile swim.
It is a long road with many challenges, but I'm having a lot of fun (well, every workout isn't fun; many are frustrating and disappointing.) Most important to me: I have a vision of aging that is active and very fit rather than frail, restricted, and overweight.
Just hang in there.
Deb

Edited by ok2try 2014-06-18 4:58 AM
2014-06-18 6:05 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Kim, congrats on getting into tri's and getting in shape. This will definitely be a lifestyle change and you will feel better. Just take it slow and be patient. For your knees, my orthodedic dr told me to take glucosamine every day. Also you may want to add some knee strengthening exercises to you routine. I will never win a tri but when I go on vacation I can at least walk around and enjoy myself where a lot of folks younger than I am, can't. I think tri's and all the exercise really extend our lives and the quality of our lives.

Last night between son's baseball games I went to the football field and ran bare footed inside the track just on the grass. This was my 1st time doing this but I am going to start incorporating this into my workouts maybe 3X per week just to keep my feet and legs healthy. I could definitely feel a diference while running, my feet working, making me land properly, working on form.

I have also transitioned from drop 12 shoes to drop 8, when I went from drop 12 to 8, the 12 felt so clunky, Then I dropped to drop 4, now the drop 8's feel clunky. You guessed it, I'm getting drop 0 now to give them a try.

Ya'll keep up the good work and train hard!
2014-06-18 6:54 AM

User image

Subject: Today's "aha" moment...
I'm at a conference in Atlanta, and there is one gentleman that has been attending these conferences since I started in the late 1980's. He seemed old to me then, and must be in his 90's now. He is still getting around the rather large conference center and contributing to the sessions. I am impressed by how well he has aged!

This morning, a co-worker and I got up early to drop-in on a local master swim workout (5:45 start). As I waited by the elevators for my co-worker, the old gentleman got off the elevator in his workout cloths and headed for the fitness center. Now I know his trick! It looks like there might be something to this fitness stuff!

Scott I.

2014-06-18 9:10 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Inspiration and the Tri Lifestyle
I forgot about this story from the Boise HIM that I think is pretty cool.

I was a little early for the pre-race briefing and didn't want to just stand around the park. There was a nearby picnic bench with several people seated but with an open slot so I just invited myself into the group. Turns out, we all had the same idea because it was a group of strangers.

A young guy in his 20's sitting across the bench from me weighed in at 350 pounds. I kid you not, because he proudly told all of us sitting there that while he was now at 350, he was down from 500 about a year and a half ago...with a goal of getting to 200 in another 18 months. He was doing it through triathlon.

Here's what really impressed me with this young man:

1) He was SO positive about his journey, the people he met at triathlon races, now helpful and welcoming all the triathletes were to him at races, gladly inviting him into the triathlon world despite his weight. For him the entire race experience was pure joy,

2) He had (as far as I could tell) absolutely no concern that other athletes or (worse) spectators might be judgmental...that an obviously obese young man would have the audacity to enter a triathlon with all those "fit" people.

I can't exactly remember his name, so I don't know if he finished the race or not. It was an out and back bike course and I do recall passing him when I was on the way back in. Unfortunately, I don't think he completed the run. I thought his first name was Zach and I found a 25-29 AG that finished the swim in about 1:00 and the bike in 4:22 but a DNF on the run. Regardless, it was bordering on heroic just for him to be out there putting in the effort...all with a smile on his face and a driving will to become a better a person.

What a fabulous testament that the only barriers that are truly insurmountable are the ones we build for ourselves.

Happy training!

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-06-18 9:11 AM
2014-06-18 9:29 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hello!

Thanks

Kim (Yurtgirl2000)

Hi Kim,

Welcome to our group!

My wife enjoys bad knees also.  She goes to the orthopedic doctor every few months for a shot which keeps things tolerable.  She is much more able to do things now than before she went to the doctor.  So my first question for you is have you talked to a doctor about your knees?  Your knees certainly don't have to limit you, however you probably want to get an OK from a physician before you start a serious training regimen to avoid injury in the future.

Fire away with your questions.  There is quite a lot of experience here and people that will be happy to give you advice/suggestions.

2014-06-18 9:47 AM

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Hi Kim.... Welcome to the group. I too am just starting out. I have three weeks of training under my belt and I am taking it very slow. From the couch. Right now my "running" (mostly walking) is my problem so I am doing a couch-to-5k program. I am biking and swimming as well but very slow! Good Luck I'll be watching your posts. This group is very supportive!
Linda
2014-06-18 9:52 AM
in reply to: ok2try

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Thanks Deb for ;your reply to my post. It sounds like you have a busy race schedule and are having lots of fun. Good Luck. I'll be watching your posts!
Linda
2014-06-18 10:05 AM
in reply to: dogwoman

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Steve thanks for posting about your pre-meeting and meeting with the heavy guy. Yes, most people are so supportive. We have a good friend that does 1 marathon per month, she walks everyone of them. She is having a blast, has lots of friends, staying in shape and supportive of others. It is not always about BQ'ing.

How are you healing?

2014-06-18 10:44 AM

User image

Spencer, New York

Also you may want to add some knee strengthening exercises to you routine.

Many knee problems are actually caused by inadequate hip strength.
See these articles from RunnerConnect.com. I have been doing these pretty faithfully and my knees thank me.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/hip-strengtheni...

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/the-top-5-hip-s...

Also, if you have any hints of "runner's knee" (patellofemoral syndrome), or if doing squats & lunges hurts your knees, you should do terminal knee extensions. These strengthen the quads without grinding your femur (thigh bone) further into your patella (kneecap) if it is not seated correctly.

Ah yes, sadly I have learned all of this the hard way!

Deb
2014-06-18 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Hello!

Thanks
Kim
(Yurtgirl2000)

Welcome Kim, It is awesome that you are setting goals for yourself. Let us know if we can help!
2014-06-18 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: Inspiration and the Tri Lifestyle
Originally posted by lutzman

I forgot about this story from the Boise HIM that I think is pretty cool.

I was a little early for the pre-race briefing and didn't want to just stand around the park. There was a nearby picnic bench with several people seated but with an open slot so I just invited myself into the group. Turns out, we all had the same idea because it was a group of strangers.

A young guy in his 20's sitting across the bench from me weighed in at 350 pounds. I kid you not, because he proudly told all of us sitting there that while he was now at 350, he was down from 500 about a year and a half ago...with a goal of getting to 200 in another 18 months. He was doing it through triathlon.

Here's what really impressed me with this young man:

1) He was SO positive about his journey, the people he met at triathlon races, now helpful and welcoming all the triathletes were to him at races, gladly inviting him into the triathlon world despite his weight. For him the entire race experience was pure joy,

2) He had (as far as I could tell) absolutely no concern that other athletes or (worse) spectators might be judgmental...that an obviously obese young man would have the audacity to enter a triathlon with all those "fit" people.

I can't exactly remember his name, so I don't know if he finished the race or not. It was an out and back bike course and I do recall passing him when I was on the way back in. Unfortunately, I don't think he completed the run. I thought his first name was Zach and I found a 25-29 AG that finished the swim in about 1:00 and the bike in 4:22 but a DNF on the run. Regardless, it was bordering on heroic just for him to be out there putting in the effort...all with a smile on his face and a driving will to become a better a person.

What a fabulous testament that the only barriers that are truly insurmountable are the ones we build for ourselves.

Happy training!

Steve

I love the story Steve. Doing what you can, with what you've got. And being grateful that you can. I love it!!
2014-06-18 2:48 PM

User image

Regular

Steve thanks for posting about your pre-meeting and meeting with the heavy guy. Yes, most people are so supportive. We have a good friend that does 1 marathon per month, she walks everyone of them. She is having a blast, has lots of friends, staying in shape and supportive of others. It is not always about BQ'ing.

How are you healing?

Hey Karl:

Thanks for asking. I'm doing OK. It's painful, but really the worst thing is it's just impossible to sleep. I'm off all the prescription pain meds and only using Aleve, so at least I can enjoy a fine wine with dinner again!

The road back will be long. I walked out to my mailbox yesterday afternoon...about a 1 mile round trip. By the time I got home I was spent.

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 48172 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51169 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19838 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31