in reply to: #633528

Regular
Subject: RE: Betsy's Tri-BAMFs
Sounds good!
2007-04-26 12:06 AM
in reply to: #776464

just to let everyone know:

please send me good vibes from now til thursday. prayers/thoughts/meditations/whatever...i need and am accepting them all! This is my last week of real college for ever, and i'm not sure i'm going to make it though it.

My thesis is due thursday and i've got finals and projects and papers galore! I'm going to try to not jump off my balcony.

-Jessie
2007-04-26 7:43 AM

Regular
Ok guys, we're slacking. Pick up the pace and start training!

Prayers coming your way Jessie. I Feel much better today but still dealing with a congested head...this makes running miserable. Decided not to swim today because of my sinus issue but will run in the am tomorrow.

Saturday morning is my first competitive run and I'm so excited. We have about 30 employees from my company running together as a team in the Texas Round-Up. The route is around the Texas Capitol and through down town and there's going to be live bands along the way. The best part is, I won't feel guilty eating and drinking after the event. It should be a lot fun, we just hope the weather holds and the rain stays away! I'm picking up my run backed and jersey today and I'm so excited...ok, it sounds corny but completing this run allows me to cross off one goal on my training log list! Woo Hoo!

Oh, and I forgot to tell you guys, I joined USAT last week and I should have my membership card and t-shirt this week. It feels so official!
2007-04-26 11:37 AM

Regular
Good luck Jessie.... I totally understand where you're coming from... our finals start next week, and I've had to work all nighters to get my senior thesis prospectus up to submission quality!! You'll do great!

shefner: yeah, I agree about the USAT membership. They sent me a sticker which after racing at nationals, I'll finally put on my car!

I've almost made my April goals-- I think I'm 10 miles short on the run, which is unfortunate because my IT band is giving me a little trouble after that hilly course at nationals. I think I'll get out for a few more shorter runs before May, but right now I'm sticking to the pool.

My April goals were 10,000yd swim (blew that way out of the water (13,790)! ..pun intended), 130 mile bike (currently at 163.5) and 40 miles of running (I'm a little short at 29.6).

Off to the pool! (I just can't stay away...)

2007-04-26 1:09 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-26 1:18 PM

2007-04-26 3:35 PM

2007-04-26 5:05 PM

Edited by betsy 2007-04-26 5:08 PM
2007-04-27 10:03 AM

Regular
I try to live by the following:

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:1-2

"When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise" Proverbs 19:10

God bless!

2007-04-27 12:12 PM

Regular
That's a funny article... As in-your-face and accusatory as it is, I personally follow the same logic (although I would probably stop before calling someone a homophobe, but I would certainly question their own logical processes and wonder where there might be a shortage or two) when it comes to that type of discrimination.

/down soapbox

Aaaaanyways... I hope everyone's having a good training week. Eric! How's it going? Haven't heard from you in a while...

I'm slowly inching towards my April goals... Come on guys! We can do it! I tell myself, "Try to do something every day, no matter how small." Even riding my bike to campus/home makes me feel a little healthier.
2007-04-27 2:39 PM

Interesting (if brutal) article, Betsy. I try to espouse a live and let live philosophy and hope that others will give me the same respect. Unfortunately, it hasn't always worked that way for a lot of smaller groups in our country. I have a Canadian marriage certificate because I can't establish an equivalent legal contract with my partner here in the states (the certificate is meaningless here but we wanted to do it anyway).

OK, time to lighten up! Canada is gorgeous, by the way--a great place for a triathlon!!!

Even though I only did one leg of the relay tri this past weekend, I put in a race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Photo at the bottom, I'm in the back (left).

After seeing all the times, I'm afraid my strongest sport (cycling) might be my weakest in a race because I'm not used to racing or cycling at such high speeds. Any advice on speed work for this chicken?

Well, I really let everyone down with my lack of workouts this week. But I will try to make up for it this weekend and will re-commit with new distance goals in May.

Have a great weekend, everyone, and keep up the good workouts!

Rene
2007-04-27 3:27 PM

Regular
Nice!! Way to go Rene....

I'm totally copying you... found the "upload pictures" button so I added 3 photos from nationals... I love the finish line picture (sorry to be a bit vain!)

Mwah!
Happy Friday!

Christina
2007-04-27 3:53 PM

2007-04-28 11:43 PM

Regular
Hey Betsy, serious question:

There's a half-Ironman about 50 miles outside Boston (where I'll be this summer) on July 1. Assuming I won't be working weekends and could make all the many logistics work, do you think I could finish one? I feel like it's a pretty huge jump to make in a few months.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Christina

2007-04-30 8:40 AM

Regular
For all you mega athletes out there, this is going to sound like nothing to you as far as distance, but I DID IT...I completed my first 5k run and it was AWESOME. I ran my best run ever and my best time ever of 33.8 minutes. I actually ran a 9 minute mile and then slowed to 11 minutes in my 2nd mile, but finished strong. There were 2 killer hills on the back side of the run and I walked briefly after the 2nd hill but I picked it up and ran to the finish line. Believe it or not, I thought about this group and all your encouragement and support as I ran. I kept telling my legs not to quit, keep going, don't stop. The best part was my family was there to see me finish. I posted picks on my race log...I'm in the green shorts. The other pics are of my co-workers from LCRA who also ran, and few pics of our State Capitol. This sounds very biased, but I think we have the prettiest Capitol building of all the states...just my opinion.

I was so pumped up before the race. The weather was gorgeous, there was music, excitement and people everywhere. The event took place at the Texas Capitol and the Governor of Texas, Rick Perry and his wife, ran as well. It was pretty cool to see him up close and personal...I'm such a geek when it comes to being star struck by politicians. Anyway, the event drew in 7,000 runers and it was a little crazy at the start line. It took me 1.4 minutes to actually start running so that's when I hit my stop watch. I heard that the winner of the 10k came in at 30.4 minutes....that's amazing to me! Have I mentioned lately how much fun this is?!!!!

Anyway, my first mini-tri is in two weeks so I'm hitting it hard at the pool. My goal is to swim 4 days this week and focus on conditioning. Betsy, I'll send my run, bike, swim distances to you on your blog.

I'm ready to do it all again!

2007-04-30 3:41 PM

Woohoo, go Stacey! That's what it's all about. Personal Records and having fun! Way to go. I'm thinking of entering a 5K soon so I can get that feeling and believe that I can finish with a decent time.

Christina, I'm thinking of doing a half-marathon in October. I totally believe you can do it in July since you have such a strong base. I think Jeff Galloway wrote a book on doing a half, if I'm not mistaken. Take it slow and steady, though.

Great pix, Stacey and Christina!

~Rene
2007-04-30 3:56 PM
in reply to: #780266

2007-04-30 3:57 PM
in reply to: #781121

2007-04-30 3:57 PM
in reply to: #782153

2007-05-02 4:21 PM

2007-05-02 8:57 PM

New user

Hello Bettsy,

I am a a 39 year old male, 5' 9" - 188 lbs (about 15 too many) who has been involved with marketing for a tri shop and St. Anthony's Triathlon, for a couple of years. Also ride, run, and swim occasionally. I joined this site to train for my first triathlon, the Top Gun Triathlon at Fort Desoto on August 4th. I am doing it for two reasons, I've been around them long enough to be inspired and I bet someone that if they could stay sober for six months I would do a trithlon. (last Monday was six months) I downloaded a 12 week program and started it a couple of days ago. And I am already a little stumped by some of the swimming terms in the prorgram, and I am sure that other things are going to come up as well with the running and biking. I have friends who I can occassionally run to with questions but becasue I am working in such a short window of time. I would prefer to really lean on someone for the stuff on this site as well as knowing exactly where I am, and what I have to do next. I would be gratefull if you would be that person. (as well as overlooking my terrible spelling)

Rob Littke

My first challenge is in these instructions here. I can't figure out this "Swim Golf" thing, whats with the inches sign? and time stroke combination?

Swim: Swim Endurance
Form
WU: 200 easy. Then 'swim golf' = 6 x 50 on 15" rest & count strokes. What combination of time and strokes gives you the lowest 'score?' (Ex: 43 strokes + 45" = 88).

MS: Swim a moderate effort using the same stroke count in WU set. 5 x 100 (10") moderate. 4 x 50 kick (20") moderate.

CD: 200 easy alternating 50 pull, 50 swim
2007-05-02 11:24 PM

Hey Rene - great race!! I am glad y'all had so much fun!! Are you going to do the half-marathon??

Christina - that is awesome that you are going to do a half-ironman!! WAY TO GO!!

Stacey - good job on the run! That race sounds like a lot of fun!!

Everyone has been such an inspiration to keep me going!! I have my first tri this Saturday and am soo nervous! The doc said "no running until you have your MRI," so I don't know what to do. I haven't run in so long b/c of this hematoma thing on my leg.

Got two odd ball questions for y'all:

1. To the ladies with long hair: how do you wear your hair race day? ponytail, braid??

2. I am thinking of wearing my mountain biking shoes for the race. they are the same shoe as my road bike shoes, but I can run in them - anyone have a comment on it? A yah or a nah??

thanks to everyone for my inspirations! Y'all are doing such an awesome job and y'all should be so proud of yourselves!!

Carrie
2007-05-03 4:04 PM
in reply to: #786377

Edited by betsy 2007-05-03 4:04 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Betsy's Tri-BAMFs Rss Feed  

of 27