BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2007-03-15 12:21 PM
in reply to: #645139

Searcy, AR
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL
Well, I had my first swim since my race in September. I did okay I guess. I did 1000 yards in 20 minutes. I really would like to speed that up, but since I don't get very many opportunities to swim, I have to make up ground in other areas. Other than that, it was great to get back in the pool. I had that "pool smell" in my nose all day. It was great!

2007-03-15 9:01 PM

User image

Does anybody else in this group struggle w/ migraines???
2007-03-16 12:26 PM
in reply to: #724815

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

Yes, I do.

When do you typically get a migraine? 

2007-03-16 2:57 PM

Regular
TX
My race report is now listed in the "Race report" forum if anyone cares to view it. It is under "Athens YMCA-Jlarge"

I am already planning my training for my next race, hopefully in May. Yes, Steve, I am hooked...

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

2007-03-16 9:40 PM

User image

Well I seem to get one every month or two, some things in my diet can set them off, I'm narrowing them down. But stress, sleep and some physical contact can cause them too. I'm learning more about them as I go through school. How about you?

Here's a picture of my new bike:

(bikeweb.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bikeweb.jpg (24KB - 38 downloads)
2007-03-17 8:40 PM

Searcy, AR
Nice bike. I'm jealous.

Ran a 5K today in 27:17. That a personal best for me! Ran the "Run for your Life 5K" today. It was fun. It was a benefit run for a ministry called Young Life in Little Rock, AR. The ministry specializes in sharing the gospel with inner city kids. Well worth the entry fee. Picked out a rabbit after the first mile and made it a point to stay a couple of steps ahead of her. Worked out great. She just so happens to be a triathlete and ran the same race I ran last year. Small world. Anyway, great morning and a lot of fun!

2007-03-19 11:41 AM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

Sweeeet bike!

Migraines: Yep - mine are typically induced by diet: sugar, caffeine, etc. There are migraine-specific drugs out now that you can take, with Rx, that should help. I think they are non-codeine based, so no stomach upset. Read-up on the subject. Mostly now, about once per year, I'll get a migraine episode that is 'visual' only, i.e. no pain. But I can't read. I know it sounds strange, and it's not related to drinking too much . It's as if a screen is over my eyes and I cannot focus on the words. If you haven't experienced this it sounds bizarre, but it is very real.

2007-03-19 11:47 AM
in reply to: #726331

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

Adam - sweet bike!  Betcha can't wait to take that baby out on the streets!  ENJOY!!

2007-03-20 9:40 AM

User image

Hi guys. I'm into week 12 of my 16 week training and I'm getting burned out! I really need to re-focus and jump back into it so I can be ready for St Anthony's April 29th. I am looking at doing a local sprint tri this weekend which should help me get back on the track. I always train better with goals. If I do this race (which I really should) it will be my first triathlon ever. I'm looking forward to experiencing a lake swim, transitions, and the race atmosphere. What works for you guys when you lose focus on your training?
2007-03-20 10:03 AM
in reply to: #729931

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
mdelder - 2007-03-20 7:40 AM

Hi guys. I'm into week 12 of my 16 week training and I'm getting burned out! I really need to re-focus and jump back into it so I can be ready for St Anthony's April 29th. I am looking at doing a local sprint tri this weekend which should help me get back on the track. I always train better with goals. If I do this race (which I really should) it will be my first triathlon ever. I'm looking forward to experiencing a lake swim, transitions, and the race atmosphere. What works for you guys when you lose focus on your training?

Start training w/ people (if you haven't already?). They force you to meet up w/ them. Also keeps you busy talking instead of thinking about working out (depending on the group-may even push the pace). I would HIGHLY suggest you get out and do an open water swim before any races. An open water swim is COMPLETELY different than the pool. Then to put a mass start in the lake, it will hit you 2 fold! The 1st race I did about 8 years ago was a sprint race, and when I started the swim I had started in the back left (farthest point from 1st bouy) and I made it about 25 yards before I was completely out of breath. A combination of nerves, and kicking and thrashing, and total shock had made me stop swimming for about 10 seconds to catch my breath and regroup. It really is an amazing ordeal for a swim start. You will get use to it though. I would say watch this video, and learn!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk
2007-03-20 11:28 AM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

Very funny!
Of course, some of the funniest things in life are...true! 

2007-03-20 12:46 PM

Searcy, AR
Hilarious!! Couldn't of thought of a better way to describe it!

I agree with Steve on your training. Do an open swim first...by yourself. I was told before my first race that the swim part is like swimming in a washing machine. And it's true.

But I also think that having a race to look forward to will help in the training. That's why I have been doing 5Ks lately. If I don't have a goal to reach, I won't train for it. And since the run is my worst event, I spend more time looking for running events to keep me motivated to run more. (I still hate to run.) Nothing keeps you motivated like knowing that you have a in a few days. Three months from now is no big deal, three weeks or three days from now is a motivator.
2007-03-21 5:59 AM

User image

Veteran

Totally agree that if you train with others, they can really help motivate you. You also will motivate them too. For my first try-a-tri last year I practiced a couple of times in Lake Ontario. It is a cold water lake and it does give you some additional experience to take with you to the race.

You will really enjoy the race, your first is always a great experience and no matter how you do, you will learn something from it.

On another note, I did my 5k St Pat's race in Colorado Springs on Saturday and had a great time. I didn't set any records, but did finish in under 29 minutes. Was worried about the altitude for the run, but it wasn't that bad. Just felt like I was running in really cold weather as the breathing felt laboured a bit. But paced myself well and finished strong, so it was a good experience.

Now getting ready for the Around the Bay Road Race this Sunday.

2007-03-21 9:52 AM

User image

Ok, I signed up for the sprint on Sunday. I like how Rich put it -- my first try-a-tri. I have no set goals. I'm totally doing this for the experience. It's a lake swim, and we may do another race mid-April that's an ocean swim. It will be good for me, too, to figure out my race day attire. I'll let you know how it goes!
2007-03-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: #731422

User image

mdelder - 2007-03-21 9:52 AM

Ok, I signed up for the sprint on Sunday. I like how Rich put it -- my first try-a-tri. I have no set goals. I'm totally doing this for the experience. It's a lake swim, and we may do another race mid-April that's an ocean swim. It will be good for me, too, to figure out my race day attire. I'll let you know how it goes!

I got a good tip last night for race day from a guy at the pool. You all might already know this, but put your goggles on first, then your swimming cap. That way if the goggles get knocked off by someone flailing you with their big toe or something, they have a better chance of staying on.

Benson
2007-03-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #731725

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
I drove downtown DC today ( a first!!)  to pick up my race packet.  Running the National Marathon 1/2 marathon tomorrow.  My first race of the season and first half mary.  I love being downtown in DC!  I'm not going for any time goals... just to finish and have a good time.  It's kinda weird, though.  I am doing this race completely on my own.  Driving by myself, running by myself.  It's a very strange feeling.  Nevertheless, I am so excited tonight that I'll be lucky if I can get to bed and go to sleep on time.  Wish me luck!!!

2007-03-24 8:41 PM

Searcy, AR
Hope you had a great race!
2007-03-25 4:59 AM

User image

Veteran

Have a great race Jan.

I have decided not to run the ATB today due to the Achilles acting up. I think it is the prudent thing to do. I will be there to cheer on my friends and some coworkers though.

Have a good day all.

2007-03-26 5:12 PM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon
I worked out today!  And swam - only 800 yards - but I swam.  The intestinal flu really rocked me for a week.  Don't think I'll be ready for my April 1st Du, but I may go anyway.
2007-03-27 11:39 AM

User image

Pro
Well,

Last night I decided to go for a run, and "A RUN" it turned out to be. The weather was nice, and people were out. I had the Ipod on and so the tunes were pumping. I started out a nice easy jog, but about 100 yards after I started, I noticed a guy was trailing behind. I am not sure why but the Competitive bug hit me! I don't want this guy to pass me... And I don't want it to trail right behind me... So I stepped up the pass a bit. BYE BYE!

Next, I spotted a group of 4 people running up ahead. Perfect. Lets keep a steady pace, and pass them. As I was narrowing in on them, 2 guys came from a side road, and passed the group of 4. Uh oh.. Someone else to pick off!? But 1st get passed the group of 4. So I managed to pass the group of 4, and they all looked at me like I was a psycho or something (may have been because I was sucking wind- but couldn't hear myself w/ the Ipod?!).

The 2 guys were now in my sights, however I wasn't going to much further, maybe another 3/4 of a mile or so. Just nice to have a goal in front of you! Well it turns out that right as I got to my turn around point- They were 15 ft in front of me- They turned around as well.

Oh crap. Not only do I have to pass them here... I need to maintain this pace all the way back so they don't pass me again (I was not looking forward to that since I pushed myself hard on they way out!). But oh well.

I passed them shortly after the turn, and they were behind me, pushing the pace (chatting the whole time!). I just remained at a constant, where I felt under control, but lack of water was starting to take it's toll on me! COTTON MOUTH @ it's finest! So I came upoon a fountain grabbed a quick drink, and the 2 guys caught up. Now running side by side, I had to step it up a little more again (I don't like running next to people if I don't know them-wierd I know, but I wasn't in the mood to talk).

Anywho, managed to get back to the car, and feel completely drained, AND THIRSTY! When finished I felt great. I hadn't really pushed that hard in a long time. I needed that for a confidence booster. I have spend the entire winter just doing excercise. Never feeling Sore, or beat down afterwards (which is ok), but yesterday I felt like I left it all on the table.

Hopefully all of you have the same feelings that I had/have sometimes?
2007-03-27 12:55 PM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

First REAL day on the bike last night.  I have a 'classic' Trek road bike: a 12-speed with shifters on the down-tube.  Anyway, on this drizzly, dusk-ride, I rode with a friend through some beautiful 2-lane Oregon countryside for only about 15 miles.  It felt really good.  Being a mountain biker, I love to grind up the hills.  I know that the burning in the thighs won't last too long, and a flat or downhill is always waiting at the top of the hill.

I really hate the cars, although in the countryside they are relatively few, even at 6:00 PM. 

2007-03-27 4:08 PM

User image

Completed my first sprint tri on Sunday with mixed feelings. I thought there would have been more beginners in this race, but it ended up being pretty hard core. Glad to have done it but wish I could have done better. Swim started out rather panicky and couldn't get my breath -- all form and technique out the window! Finally was able to get some sort of a stroke and settle down a bit but I wasn't comfortable out of fear of swimming the wrong way. First bike transition was 5 minutes!! Part of that was due to the fact it was 1/4 mi from the lake to the transition. I have been training on my husband's road bike, but I rode the "fat tire" mountain bike (aka The Tank) for the race. (Hubby kept the Trek for himself!) Wasn't fun -- I feel like I exerted way too much energy to compensate for the slow bike, which then shot my legs for the run. Run became a slow walk/run. Hmmm. Can't say I'm 'hooked' yet, but definitely looking forward to my next sprint in a few weeks to improve on my time. Oh, and tonight we're ordering me a bike! Well deserved, I think. Wonder how different the bike and run times would have been with better equipment. I don't yet consider myself a tri "athlete", but I did complete it! Oh, well, everyone's gotta start somewhere. At least it's kind of scared me into training again -- I need the motivation! Hitting the pool tonight!
2007-03-28 6:08 AM

User image

Veteran

Way to go! The first is always an adventure as you don't fully know what to expect. When you get your new bike, you will be amazed at the difference. I improved my average speed by 10kph, just from upgrading from a mountain bike to a tri-bike.

Well done for racing and you'll do better at the next race.

2007-03-28 10:00 AM
in reply to: #739222

User image

Pro
mdelder - 2007-03-27 2:08 PM

Completed my first sprint tri on Sunday with mixed feelings. I thought there would have been more beginners in this race, but it ended up being pretty hard core. Glad to have done it but wish I could have done better. Swim started out rather panicky and couldn't get my breath -- all form and technique out the window! Finally was able to get some sort of a stroke and settle down a bit but I wasn't comfortable out of fear of swimming the wrong way. First bike transition was 5 minutes!! Part of that was due to the fact it was 1/4 mi from the lake to the transition. I have been training on my husband's road bike, but I rode the "fat tire" mountain bike (aka The Tank) for the race. (Hubby kept the Trek for himself!) Wasn't fun -- I feel like I exerted way too much energy to compensate for the slow bike, which then shot my legs for the run. Run became a slow walk/run. Hmmm. Can't say I'm 'hooked' yet, but definitely looking forward to my next sprint in a few weeks to improve on my time. Oh, and tonight we're ordering me a bike! Well deserved, I think. Wonder how different the bike and run times would have been with better equipment. I don't yet consider myself a tri "athlete", but I did complete it! Oh, well, everyone's gotta start somewhere. At least it's kind of scared me into training again -- I need the motivation! Hitting the pool tonight!

Way to go!!! You are being to hard on yourself. You went out there. You raced. You FINISHED! YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE! There is a HUGE HUGE HUGE DIFFERENCE in a knobby tired mountain bike, compared to a smooth sailing, light road bike! You workedl harder than anyone out there! BE proud of yourself, and if I remember correctly you just signed up on a whim on this race! That is brave (especially for your 1st EVER TRI!), it took courage to do that! Also look at your run... you average just over 11 minute miles. Remember when you 1st started.. I think you were running a 12+ min mile. So, running 11+ after a swim and bike! WAY TO GO! Keep it up, and be sure to post pictures of your bike when you get it... What did you order?
2007-03-28 10:06 PM
in reply to: #739222

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

I got some really cool news this afternoon.  Here's the scoop.  As you know, I ran my first 1/2 mary last Saturday.  Overall I wanted to just finish and have a good race.  Which i did!  I was also shooting for a sub 2hr finish time.  I just missed it finishing at 2:01:51.  OR so I thought.  I received an email from the race director this afternoon stating that the course was marked wrong!!!  We actually ran a quarter mile longer than the 13.1 1/2 mary distance.  My adjust splits are now at 9:08 min/miles and my finish time was 1:59:37!   A sub 2hr finish time.   YAHOOOOO!!!!!

And as I'm flying high off of the race this weekend... I committed to running the full Marine Corp Marathon in October.  (GULP!)  Please remind me in the future that I'm really excited about this now. 

Thanks for all the support!  You guys (and gals!) are great!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 21