BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-02-11 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1205130

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Subject: RE: jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes!
pole_dancer - 2008-02-11 11:31 AM

I have a half planned for this coming Saturday.  The weather is now calling for rain.  I planned for pretty much everything but this.  Does anyone have tips on how to stay dry(er) in the rain?

Yeah, what gator22 said. I do not find that I mind the rain once the race starts. There are a couple of things to consider. Try to stay totally dry before the race. This is important. Getting wet and/or cold before you get going could be problematic. Clothing is important. You will need to decide if staying dry is more important than wearing clothing that will breathe. If you wear some high tech clothing that will not feel soaked even when wet, it should not bother you much. No cotton or anything that would weigh you down and cling to you when wet. Wear a hat or visor. I do not mind getting wet, but it bugs me when I get the rain in my eyes. For me, I think the most important thing would be my feet. I ran the boston marathon last year and I was wet from the moment I stepped out of the car to wait for the bus to the starting area. It was pouring, the ground was saturated, I was cold and wet, and all I wanted to do was start the race. I remember looking around and there were numerous people wearing bags over their shoes or over their socks and in their shoes. I would focus on keeping my feet dry. As gator22 mentions, the rain just might feel good during the race. One final thought, if you are thinking of wearing some sort of rain coat or such, make sure that it will allow your body heat to escape (don't ask me how I know).

2008-02-11 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1205080

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
gator22 - 2008-02-11 11:11 AM

It is soooo cold here that it actually hurts to be outside...I hate you warm weather people

Didn't someone run a half this weekend??? Lets hear about it!!!

I hear you. I hear Ronen talk about how it is chilly in the morning, say 40, and all I can think about is how I cannot wait for a nice toasting 40 degree day to get outside and run. 16 currently with wind gusts pushing the wind chill down near zero. Not complaining....just jealous.
2008-02-11 3:33 PM
in reply to: #1090400

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Reading about your weather makes me feel a bit guilty for not being constantly outside!  Here's what I looked like last week:

Swimming: 3hrs.
2 hrs. 56 mins. done.
Running: 2hrs. 50 mins.
2 hr. 37 mins. done.

Biking: 6 hrs. 30 mins.
6 hrs. 35 mins. done.

I know that it's been discussed A LOT on the main threads, but what do you all tell yourself as motivation while you're training?

Recently, I've found that I respond well when I gently (and simply) tell myself, "Keep Going"..."Try Harder".  Also, "HTFU" has made a regular appearance in my mindset.  Don't know why, but it's been working for me.  What do you all do/say?

2008-02-12 7:44 AM

User image

Hi everyone. Daughter's been sick, so I've been busy. And my God is it Cold in the Northeast! Heck though, it's about time. 11 days ago it was 59 degrees.

Congrats Ronen on your 1/2 marathon. That sounds like it was a very challenging course!

To answer naners, when I am doing short intense training I just mentally ask myself, "What can the body do? What can you do?" I know it's weird talking to yourself in the second person, but it works for me - kind of like the brain challenging the body. And mind you, this only works for shorter, high intensity workouts. For long work outs and training runs I usually start to lose focus or want to stop when I am more than halfway through. And that's when I remind myself that "we're halfway done." And in the real latter minutes and miles when I am approaching two hours straight of training, that's when I remind myself, "This is why I am training. This is why I am out here, to train hard these last miles. This is what today's training was all about; not the easier beginning miles - but the hard- last few miles." And I also keep in mind that shortly it will be done with and I can look back on my endurance and effort with great satisfaction. I know that all this hard work will make easier for me down the road. I often mentally recite the phrase, "Cry in training; Smile on race day."
2008-02-12 8:19 AM
in reply to: #1205757

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
naners - 2008-02-11 3:33 PM

Reading about your weather makes me feel a bit guilty for not being constantly outside!  Here's what I looked like last week:

Swimming: 3hrs.
2 hrs. 56 mins. done.
Running: 2hrs. 50 mins.
2 hr. 37 mins. done.

Biking: 6 hrs. 30 mins.
6 hrs. 35 mins. done.

I know that it's been discussed A LOT on the main threads, but what do you all tell yourself as motivation while you're training?

Recently, I've found that I respond well when I gently (and simply) tell myself, "Keep Going"..."Try Harder".  Also, "HTFU" has made a regular appearance in my mindset.  Don't know why, but it's been working for me.  What do you all do/say?

Generally I find that music works really well for me. I can almost always find something that hits me right for any given workout allowing me to get into a bit of a groove. If that does not work, I tell myself that real progress is made right now. Everybody will be working and training hard come april through july, when the weather gets better in the NE. I also tell myself that if I train hard that racing will be that much more enjoyable. Not true, of course, because the more you train, the harder you are going to go on race day. It is still going to hurt. However, I try to use this as motivation. And, when all else fails, I resort to fear. I visit the IMUSA website and I click on the countdown clock and see that there are only 158 days left before the event. This works every time.
2008-02-12 8:30 AM

User image

Here are last weeks goals vs. actual -->

Goal Swim - 2800m ; Actual - 1750m : 63% of goal

Goal Bike - 40 miles ; Actual - 29.50m : 74% of goal

Goal Run 25 miles ; Actual - 23.11mi : 92% of goal

total avg: 76% of goal

*Damn, I'm not satisfied at all with 76% ; granted I am doing "okay" considering the weather, lack of sunlight, and all-around amazing amount of "crap" I have going on...

New Goals for this week, and I've meticulously calculated these (seriously):

Goal swim: 3,000m

Goal Bike: 40 miles

Goal Run: 20 miles

2008-02-12 9:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Last Week:

Goals:Swim 2:30 hours (actual 0:57), Run 3:30 hours (actual 0:40), Bike 5:00 hours (actual 5:15), C/W: goal 1:30 hours (2:00), total 12:30 (actual 8:52).

Pretty good week. I am really trying to focus on time in the saddle, but I did not want my swim and run to slip so much. Hard to run in the slop and cold. I know, excuses, excuses, but this week I am going to nail it.

This week:

Goals:Swim 3:00 hours, Run 3:00 hours, Bike 5:00 hours, C/W: goal 1:30 hours, total 12:30

2008-02-12 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1205757

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
naners - 2008-02-11 1:33 PM

Recently, I've found that I respond well when I gently (and simply) tell myself, "Keep Going"..."Try Harder". Also, "HTFU" has made a regular appearance in my mindset. Don't know why, but it's been working for me. What do you all do/say?

What drives me the most is the knowledge that this very workout should be longer/faster or different than the previous one and I keep challenging myself to do that. Obviously,  it is not always the case, but I always try to improve at least one aspect of my training. Running is my favorite training, in a sense, since I listen to a playlist I compiled shortly after I started running. I used to run listening to it back in NJ as well as here in CA. It reminds me of my running routes back there and different songs indicate passing a familiar landmark on my running route. I also know, that once the first two songs are over, I ran a mile and so on - so this also helps me know how far I ran. I am not running in some of the races with my ipod though - out of respect to their rules...  Whatever I do, I try to stay positive for the next training session...

2008-02-12 12:12 PM
in reply to: #1206924

User image

Speaking of getting more time in the saddle, screw all the fancy smancy glides and buttr's -- I just put a nice healthy glob of vaseline right in the *cough* soft spot where crotch meets saddle, and it worked like an absolute dream.
2008-02-12 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Dream Chaser - "Cry in training; Smile on race day."

gatjr33 - 2008-02-12 3:19 AM.  And, when all else fails, I resort to fear. I visit the IMUSA website and I click on the countdown clock and see that there are only 158 days left before the event. This works every time.

Ronen - 2008-02-12 4:38 AM - What drives me the most is the knowledge that this very workout should be longer/faster or different than the previous one and I keep challenging myself to do that...Whatever I do, I try to stay positive for the next training session...

So, essentially, we've got: Fear as motivation, continually challenging ourselves/striving to get better, and positive thinking.  Thanks all!  I constantly need to remind myself to push during training.  I tend to cruise too much.  Dream Chaser, hope that your daughter is feeling better. 

2008-02-12 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1207461

User image

Expert
I cruise all the time. It is still good that I am out there. Remember these are sports you do for you.  I left my crazy competitive stuff behind in college. I do this to keep from being fat, oh wait....I am fat..Well, You could imagine what it would be like if I wasn't.....As long as I feel better than when I started I am happy.  I look at it as my only peaceful time alone or with friends.

2008-02-13 8:25 AM
in reply to: #1207461

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
naners - 2008-02-12 1:18 PM

Dream Chaser - "Cry in training; Smile on race day."

gatjr33 - 2008-02-12 3:19 AM.  And, when all else fails, I resort to fear. I visit the IMUSA website and I click on the countdown clock and see that there are only 158 days left before the event. This works every time.

Ronen - 2008-02-12 4:38 AM - What drives me the most is the knowledge that this very workout should be longer/faster or different than the previous one and I keep challenging myself to do that...Whatever I do, I try to stay positive for the next training session...

So, essentially, we've got: Fear as motivation, continually challenging ourselves/striving to get better, and positive thinking.  Thanks all!  I constantly need to remind myself to push during training.  I tend to cruise too much.  Dream Chaser, hope that your daughter is feeling better. 

I guess also on a very basic level I have some great workouts whereby I just keep thinking that I am out there doing something {insert any training here} when most people are not. For example, after hitting the pool for a nice long swim at 5 AM, I often walk away thinking that I did more before 7 than most folks will do all day. That feels good and motivates me to work harder. I would also toss in the sense of accomplishment. It is a pretty good feeling when you work really hard and complete a race. On occasion, I will be doing a really tough workout and will visualize approaching the finish line and crossing over. I will see the clock and realize that I hit my goal. So there are two angles here. There is the training hard to help in hitting your goals and using visualization to push yourself, and then there is the sense of accomplishment, which is finishing your race, hitting your goals, being pleased with the results and that motivates you to keep training and quite possibly to train harder.
2008-02-13 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1207681

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
gator22 - 2008-02-12 2:18 PM

I cruise all the time. It is still good that I am out there. Remember these are sports you do for you.  I left my crazy competitive stuff behind in college. I do this to keep from being fat, oh wait....I am fat..Well, You could imagine what it would be like if I wasn't.....As long as I feel better than when I started I am happy.  I look at it as my only peaceful time alone or with friends.

I agree with Gator22 on some level. This is all stuff that you should do for you. You feel better, you are healthier, you have the opportunity to train and race, you get to experience lots of fun things, you get to meet some great people, etc., etc. Where we differ is that I am just a tad bit competitive. So while I tell myself that I am doing this stuff to be healthy and in shape, I also find myself thinking about how to get faster and how to compete more. I really do this stuff for fun, because I enjoy doing it, however, for me, part of that is pushing myself to the limit, and that is not always fun.
2008-02-13 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1209043

User image

Expert
I am little bit bummed. Due to financial issues beyond my control (criminal application of child support laws mostly), I have to resume my part time job. It is overnights on Sundays, basically ruining Monday for training. Does anyone else have to train through sleep deprivation?? What are your tricks?
2008-02-14 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1209516

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
gator22 - 2008-02-13 11:21 AM

I am little bit bummed. Due to financial issues beyond my control (criminal application of child support laws mostly), I have to resume my part time job. It is overnights on Sundays, basically ruining Monday for training. Does anyone else have to train through sleep deprivation?? What are your tricks?

Sorry to hear about this dude. I cannot say that I operate through sleep deprivation, but I often work on very little sleep. The problem with this is, from experience, there really are not many tricks. I try to suck it up and get my training in, however, the more you train, the more important it is to get rest to aid in recovery. I find that if I push too hard without proper rest, it will result in extreme fatigue or injury. Again, no tricks, but I think that cat naps and caffiene help me...and I am not very good at cat naps. So, lots of coffee. Also, I really try to focus on proper nutrition if I am not getting enough rest. Not a complete substitute for rest, but I try to eat right and restrict any alcohol, which would not help with the rest component either. Maybe just plan on Monday always being your rest day or just something very light.
2008-02-14 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Happy Valentine's Day tp Jess's Cook Kids

Keep up the great training.

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-02-14 9:11 AM

2008-02-14 9:27 AM
in reply to: #1211470

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

gatjr33 - 2008-02-14 5:32 AM
gator22 - 2008-02-13 11:21 AM I am little bit bummed. Due to financial issues beyond my control (criminal application of child support laws mostly), I have to resume my part time job. It is overnights on Sundays, basically ruining Monday for training. Does anyone else have to train through sleep deprivation?? What are your tricks?
Sorry to hear about this dude. I cannot say that I operate through sleep deprivation, but I often work on very little sleep. The problem with this is, from experience, there really are not many tricks. I try to suck it up and get my training in, however, the more you train, the more important it is to get rest to aid in recovery. I find that if I push too hard without proper rest, it will result in extreme fatigue or injury. Again, no tricks, but I think that cat naps and caffiene help me...and I am not very good at cat naps. So, lots of coffee. Also, I really try to focus on proper nutrition if I am not getting enough rest. Not a complete substitute for rest, but I try to eat right and restrict any alcohol, which would not help with the rest component either. Maybe just plan on Monday always being your rest day or just something very light.

I am not aware of any trick (and would be really happy to learn some), and I tend to agree with gatjr33 on that one. The human body needs to rest and sleeping seems to be the best way of doing that. Sleeping well not only effects physical ability but also mental capability. My only suggestion to you is not to give up sleep but find other things in your day that you can put aside and train instead. I know that it is hard to do - but IMO, it's the only safe way (in the long run) to do it.

2008-02-14 10:39 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
gator22 - 2008-02-13 11:21 AM

Then again, I could put you in touch with my good friend "The Rocket". Do not listen to what he says, it is what he does that matters. I am sure that he has folks that could get you some extra energy and even help with Ronen's back, just do not ask him to admit it.
2008-02-14 9:01 PM

User image

Regular

gator22 - 2008-02-13 11:21 AM I am little bit bummed. Due to financial issues beyond my control (criminal application of child support laws mostly), I have to resume my part time job. It is overnights on Sundays, basically ruining Monday for training. Does anyone else have to train through sleep deprivation?? What are your tricks?

I usually manage to get the training done if I make myself do it before I go home and get in bed. It won't be a quality workout, but its time put in.

2008-02-15 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
I guess getting excited about the weather a week before a race is excessive.  It has gone from 41 high with rain to 56 high with sunshine.  It looks like it's gonna be a good day.
2008-02-18 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1215103

User image

Expert
Somebody rocked a half marathon over the weekend!!!

2008-02-19 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1215103

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
pole_dancer - 2008-02-15 3:45 PM

I guess getting excited about the weather a week before a race is excessive.  It has gone from 41 high with rain to 56 high with sunshine.  It looks like it's gonna be a good day.

Great lesson learned here. I use to get all crazy about the weather or what could happen on race day, but in the end, you have to realize that there are only so many things that you can control. You cannot control the weather or most bad things that could happen. So focus your energy on the things that you can control...nutrition, race strategy, race preparation and attitude. If you are going to get caught up in worrying about the weather or all of the things that could go wrong, I would suggest thinking about something that could go wrong and what you would do to overcome the issue. For example, you are racing and drinking a lot and all of a sudden you feel bloated and not so well...I would then do this!!! Whatever this might be for you. Slow down, drink less, listen to your body. I will often play what if, in my mind, before a race. It helps to control my emotions. It also really helps when things do go wrong.

I look forward to hearing about your race.
2008-02-19 9:34 AM

User image

Are we done posting Weekly Goals?
2008-02-19 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Hi Everyone! 

My last week's results

Swim: Goal: 4000 yards; Actual: 5,900 yards

Bike: Goal: 30 miles; Actual: 0 miles

Run: Goal: 120 min.; Actual: 25 min.

Goals for this week:  

Swim: 3,000 yards; Bike: 0 miles; Run: 0 min. 

I know, poor results last week and almost nothing planned for this week!! My lower back was the reason for last week's results and AGAIN for this week again... I guess I resumed training prematurely while my back was not fully healed. So after the workout, while bending to pick something off the floor, it struck me again and I am back to square one with it... Here comes another week of almost no training... And here is another lesson my body is teaching me...

2008-02-19 1:21 PM
in reply to: #1220021

User image

Expert
Hawaii

I would suggest thinking about something that could go wrong and what you would do to overcome the issue. For example, you are racing and drinking a lot and all of a sudden you feel bloated and not so well...I would then do this!!! Whatever this might be for you. Slow down, drink less, listen to your body. I will often play what if, in my mind, before a race. It helps to control my emotions. It also really helps when things do go wrong. I look forward to hearing about your race.

I like that.

My goals looked like this last week:
Swimming: 2:45 planned, 2:45 actual (100%)
Biking: 4:30 planned, 4:46 actual (>100%)
Running: 2:50 planned , 2:26 actual (85.88%)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  

of 18