BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2008-01-18 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1091616

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
Subject: RE: kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED
wow you guys are so cool!
signing up for races, getting ready, i'm a slacker in comparison!!! i'm thinking about a 10k next month, and i'm signed up for a sprint in april, but so far thats it for me.

transitions are hard for me. i wore a regular swim suit with a sprots bra under it, and a wetsuit, then when i got out of the water, i peeled off the wetsuit, and threw on shorts and a tee shirt. by the end of the bike leg i was dry, but it was rather uncomfortable starting that out all soaking wet. but really i haven't been able to figure out an alternative. i know that some people (people that haven't birthed three kids ) just wear thier racing tops (which look like sprots bras to me) and bike shorts, but i'm still a tad modest of my bare belly, all the stretch marks and what have you. my dad snapped a pic of me in transition, and it's not pretty. so i'm trying to think of a different way to do it this year. so far i got nothin. maybe just a new swim suit?? (i think it's time, really, i think my swim suit is from 1992-no joke)

ok, thinking about running, but i got a head ache, so we'll see. sometimes running helps, sometimes it makes it worse.

you guys freaking rock though.

2008-01-18 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia

hope the headache goes away.

Britt- your sprint is one day before my sprint!! Also a pool swim and its at my campus so getting there will be easy and I get to watch all the olympic distance people go in the morning before my afternoon heat. 

The transitions for my race are weird because they plan for the rain.  They have you put all your stuff in a garbage bag and put it in a tent just outside the indoor pool so that's where you change for T1.. then you have to run around the outdoor pool, and across a parking lot and into another parking lot to where your bike is. I'm leaning towards just wearing my SPD commuter shoes so I can run across the parking lot to the bike and they're warmer in winter. Then I guess my running shoes will go in another garbage bag next to my bike.

On another clothing point... I am having a hard time figuring out my running wear.  I've got the bike figured out.  But running in near freezing temperatures is proving a bit more of a challenge.  I HATE being cold but when I workout i also get REALLY hot and sweaty. My body temperature just fluctuates a lot.  I have a nice pair of tights that keeps my lower body warm, and then I wear a short sleeve top under a breathable water resistant windbreaker (at least that was the running store said) since it's usually drizzling, with gloves and a hat.  Sometimes I wear one of my cycling long sleeves tops if it's dry. So I am cold for the first 5-8 minutes.  Then feel great, but by 20 minutes I'm overheating.  I am starting to think about my running race in a month and what to wear.  Tying the windbreaker around my waste works, but it's annoying.  Any other suggestions?

2008-01-18 6:57 PM

User image

Master
if the run is an "out and back" run (mine was) and if it's a place you can trust, just peel off layers as you go, and then heft 'em back on your way to the finish?? i don't know. either that, or buy a cheap pair of sweats, and peel em off as you run, and then just ditch em, or i guess pick them up AFTER the race??
just a thought. i've never raced in the cold, so i don't know.
2008-01-18 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1163894

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
lyssa-gator - 2008-01-18 11:54 AM

signing up for races, getting ready, i'm a slacker in comparison!!! i'm thinking about a 10k next month, and i'm signed up for a sprint in april, but so far thats it for me.

transitions are hard for me. i wore a regular swim suit with a sprots bra under it, and a wetsuit, then when i got out of the water, i peeled off the wetsuit, and threw on shorts and a tee shirt. by the end of the bike leg i was dry, but it was rather uncomfortable starting that out all soaking wet. but really i haven't been able to figure out an alternative. i know that some people (people that haven't birthed three kids ) just wear thier racing tops (which look like sprots bras to me) and bike shorts, but i'm still a tad modest of my bare belly, all the stretch marks and what have you. my dad snapped a pic of me in transition, and it's not pretty. so i'm trying to think of a different way to do it this year. so far i got nothin. maybe just a new swim suit?? (i think it's time, really, i think my swim suit is from 1992-no joke)

ok, thinking about running, but i got a head ache, so we'll see. sometimes running helps, sometimes it makes it worse.

Lyssa, have you tried a one piece tri-suit? You still wear a sports bra under it, but you don't have to worry showin' any belly. Swim, bike, run and no change of clothes!

2008-01-18 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1164912

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
lyssa-gator - 2008-01-18 7:57 PM

if the run is an "out and back" run (mine was) and if it's a place you can trust, just peel off layers as you go, and then heft 'em back on your way to the finish?? i don't know. either that, or buy a cheap pair of sweats, and peel em off as you run, and then just ditch em, or i guess pick them up AFTER the race??
just a thought. i've never raced in the cold, so i don't know.

X2 on both accounts. Someone told me that you add 20 degrees to the air temperature to estimate how it will feel while running. So if it's 45 F, dress for 65 F because that is how warm you will feel while running. I have peeled off jackets and tied them around my waist, but that is very annoying. Throw aways would be my thought. Wear a nice wicking undershirt, then layer with cheapo shirts that you don't care if they get stolen after you strip 'em off. If I wear tights to a race, then I am committed to wearing them the entire race. Way too expensive to consider discarding.

2008-01-18 7:20 PM
in reply to: #1153362

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Out4atime - 2008-01-13 7:10 PM

Yeah that program sounds awesome definitly join even if you don't do the race.

Can't wait to hear about the 1/2 marathon.

My weekend was filled with crossing a lot of milestones.

Made it to 180lbs!! 25 lbs down from my highest weight post injury.  And I am starting to see muscle definition!

First Club Ride!! The ladies were nice and even the Cat 1 riders warmed up to me in the end.  The "whizzing" sound is so cool!  And now I know why everyone loves drafting.  They also went at an easier pace which was good so that I was actually working in my lower zones which I need to do more often.  I only got dropped on the UBC hill (my arch enemy!) but I wasn't last so now I have a new goal- don't get dropped!!

First Metric Century!! The club ride, when I added up riding there and riding home was just over 100km in 4.5 hours.  Whew!!!

First Coached Ride!! The ladies were very nice and it totally pulled up my bike handling confidence.  Can't wait until we all trust each other more and really start working on paceline and riding close.

First Field Test! We did an LT field test over a false flat 4km at your highest effort.  Despite having ridden yesterday and feeling dead when I got on the bike this morning I rocked it!! And I know there is room to improve. thoughts of puking passed through my head but I pushed through and made it in a good time!

SIGNED UP FOR MY TRI on MARCH 9th!  Ok I did it!!!  and I have gotten over my hesitation to tell people.  I told my closest friends this week and during the club and coached ride I got over my hesitation to tell everyone that I am doing a triathlon!  Now I feel like I can tell anybody.

So I might have bagged my run and swim workouts since I spent 7 hours on the bike this weekend (yup my crotch is sore!) But this weekend has been a HUGE HUGE confidence booster!!!

And this is why you should put fender extenders on when going on a club ride.  So the person behind you doesn't look like this: 

We joked I was trying to win the award for most Hard Core and I may have the nickname Mud from now on.  Really I just have Karen to thank- she headed straight to the bike shop to fix her fenders afterwards.

You must be quite tall. You don't look like you're just under 180!!

2008-01-18 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1164932

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Last weekend for the Houston 1/2 Mary it was chilly in the morning before the sun came up and I knew we'd be standing the corral area for 20-30 minutes and I knew I would be cold...but I also knew once I got going and the sun was fully up it would warm up and I wouldn't want any long sleeves or pants cause I'd heat up just like you said Jeni.  So, I did the throw away thing. My Dad had an old sweatshirt he wasn't going to wear anymore, so I wore it until about 5 mins before race time, and then hung it on the fence.  They were collecting all of it up and going to donate it anyhow.  I was slightly chilly for maybe the first 2 miles, and then, no issues...so this worked really well for me.  Then there were those that wore the garbage bags for a bit...but not for me..
2008-01-18 11:40 PM
in reply to: #1164925

User image

Master
barqhead - 2008-01-18 5:14 PM

lyssa-gator - 2008-01-18 11:54 AM

Lyssa, have you tried a one piece tri-suit? You still wear a sports bra under it, but you don't have to worry showin' any belly. Swim, bike, run and no change of clothes!

gonna have to google that one, that sounds PERFECT!! thanks for the tip!!
2008-01-19 12:05 AM

User image

Master
score! found one on eBay for like $40. but i have a dumb question, do you wear that UNDER your regular wetsuit? or just that, all by itself?? i'm a baby about cold cold water, so i REALLY like my wetsuit. but i'll try anything once, especially if it's only gonna cost me 40 bones!!

check eBay for stuff, i found tri bikes on there, i found tri shorts, (for like $12!!) i found TONS of stuff, (ok, not all of it was affordable, but HEY, at least it's there!!) so if you need something, at least check there.

i found another website, something like sports basements or something, they had tri suits for like $80-ish

i guess i don't know what's normal for that, since today was the first time i'd heard of them,
2008-01-19 1:39 AM
in reply to: #1164935

User image

Extreme Veteran

"

You must be quite tall. You don't look like you're just under 180!! "

I'm 5' 10' and blessed to have one of those body types that hides my actual weight. But i am definitely noticing a difference from pictures taken over the summer when I was at 205 and my clothes are fitting better.

How's everyone doing on their healthy eating this week?

I completely blew it and am just going to write this week off. Two birthday parties which include beer and lots of snacks. And I gave in to desert twice this week... and both times went back for seconds. Once i taste a sweet, I have no self control. I'm afraid to step on the scale to see the damage. This will be the second time i have hit 180 in the last two months, only to pig out the following week and have to fight to get my weight back down again. It's like my brain says "nice job, you made a goal... now celebrate with tiramisu and a snickers bar!!"

time to get back on track!

Edited by Out4atime 2008-01-19 1:40 AM
2008-01-19 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1165215

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
lyssa-gator - 2008-01-19 1:05 AM

score! found one on eBay for like $40. but i have a dumb question, do you wear that UNDER your regular wetsuit? or just that, all by itself?? i'm a baby about cold cold water, so i REALLY like my wetsuit. but i'll try anything once, especially if it's only gonna cost me 40 bones!!

check eBay for stuff, i found tri bikes on there, i found tri shorts, (for like $12!!) i found TONS of stuff, (ok, not all of it was affordable, but HEY, at least it's there!!) so if you need something, at least check there.

i found another website, something like sports basements or something, they had tri suits for like $80-ish

i guess i don't know what's normal for that, since today was the first time i'd heard of them,

They can be expensive, but if you combine the cost of shorts and shirts, it's really not any more expensive than two piece outfits. Yes. You wear it under your wetsuit. Peel off wetsuit and voila, you are ready for the rest of your race! You can wear it alone, too. You don't get any added buoyancy, though. If your race is wetsuit legal, I'd wear the wetsuit over it!

2008-01-19 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1165242

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Out4atime - 2008-01-19 2:39 AM

"

You must be quite tall. You don't look like you're just under 180!!
"

I'm 5' 10' and blessed to have one of those body types that hides my actual weight. But i am definitely noticing a difference from pictures taken over the summer when I was at 205 and my clothes are fitting better.

How's everyone doing on their healthy eating this week?

I completely blew it and am just going to write this week off. Two birthday parties which include beer and lots of snacks. And I gave in to desert twice this week... and both times went back for seconds. Once i taste a sweet, I have no self control. I'm afraid to step on the scale to see the damage. This will be the second time i have hit 180 in the last two months, only to pig out the following week and have to fight to get my weight back down again. It's like my brain says "nice job, you made a goal... now celebrate with tiramisu and a snickers bar!!"

time to get back on track!

I am the exact same way when I lose. I'm like "ok, I'm doing good, I can be a little slack" But a little turns out to be a lot and boom! I'm back up to a higher weight. Then I climb back on the wagon again. Good luck this week!

2008-01-20 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenbelt, MD
On the idea about dumping clothes. I've read race reports where people got penalties for dropping things and abandoning them (usually a water bottle). I just made a quick pass through the USAT rules and it's not in there, so it might be race specific (probably so the host city doesn't get pissed about the trash). I would just check the race rules before planning on this. It would suck to get a penalty (then again if it's cold enough it might just be worth it).

Edited by AmbulanceDriver 2008-01-20 7:48 PM
2008-01-21 12:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

How was everyone's weekend?

I went for a run and tried wearing a few less layers at the start and it worked good.  Still got over heated a bit from a vest I was wearing so I think I may just try to ease into wearing less at the beginning and adjust to being a bit cold at the start. Mother nature couldn't make up her mind this weekend.  Pouring rain friday, snow storm saturday morning, and the rest of the weekend was blue skies and sunshine!!

Stayed on track with my diet over the weekend too!! But the price has been paid. I'm up a couple pounds.

goals for the week:

Actually do 2 strength and core sessions this week

Drink more water!

Avoid dessert. 

2008-01-21 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC

Hey team, I am still out here.  Still have my cough, but it is 100x better.  I am back on my training plan.  I had a good weekend, it was really cold here in Charlotte.  There was snow, rain, sleet and sunshine.  I am doing well with my eating, I am still staying between 1,200-1,500 calories.  But, Friday and Saturday a week ago, I was really sick and didn't eat much at all, so I am paying the price for that now.  My body went into the "starvation mode" so it is hanging on to everthing.  So, I am still 5 pounds down in 2 1/2 weeks, but so far it hasn't moved since my last official weigh in last Wednesday.  Oh well, I will just keep doing what I am doing and adjust if I need to later.

Sounds like everyone is doing very well.  I am really trying to make this a lifestyle change and am still struggling with that piece.  I need to just develop a schedule for eating and working out.

2008-01-21 9:40 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

This past week went pretty well.  I got my long run in yesterday and it was a really encouraging one in that it was the first time I wasn't terrified of marathon distance at the end of it and actually thought, "I can do this and not die." I really wish I could get outside on the bike, but the weather just doesn't want to cooperate on the right days.  I need to tweak my training schedule as I didn't take some things into account (like my pool being closed on federal holidays-which would be today), so that's on the to-do list.  I'm going back forth on the healthy eating--not that I'm eating horrible at all, I just have some good days and then some not so good days (no really bad eating days) where I probably have one too many snacks--but nothing too critical really, so I'm not concerned with it.  This week's goals is to continue to get my mileage in--it'll be the last big week of running before I start tapering for the Austin Marathon which is something I've literally been training for over a year to do.  I had planned to do the San Antonio Marathon in November, but that was before my unit got extended in Iraq (we were supposed to come back in August and came back in November instead)...so this has been a long time in coming and training.  This week also needs to be one where I use my time better. I'm guilty of just goofing off and not doing some of the things I need to get done...so, while not tri-training, it's something I want to focus on this week.

I really have appreciated the swim advice on here and have already seen it work...I realize I haven't thrown out much advice myself on my strength, which apparently is the running piece of it, and I know many of you have expressed your struggles with it...so I will share some of where I have been and where I got to where I am now...it may be a little long, but hopefully it's encouraging too. 

In High School I decided I wanted to go to West Point (the US Military Academy) for college.  I was active in sports: basketball, volleyball, softball, swimming in the summer, shot put/discus, but was not a runner.  I could run up and down the courts or around the bases, but I hated it otherwise.  I wouldn't say I was fat, but I was over what I should've been weight wise, and I'm short legged and long bodied (which doesn't make for a natural runner) and never saw any reason to run far.  The Army has a physical fitness test (APFT) that consists of a 2 mile run, 2 min. pushups, 2 min situps.  So, I knew I'd at least have to meet those standards.  At the same time, I ruptured my ACL in my right knee in basketball and my senior year of high school I had to have reconstructive surgery on it. While that was going on I was accepted into West Point and doing physical therapy and wearing a robo-cop type knee brace.  I started running and two miles was so hard...my folks kept pushing me to get out there cause I was headed to West Point that summer, I needed to run...so I got to where I could 2 miles at the Army minimum standard of about 18 minutes (I'm 17 years old at this time)...but that was on the flat land of Houston, TX.  West Point isn't flat--it's hilly and during cadet basic training runnining kicked my butt. I hated it and it hated me. I just passed the PT test and that's it.  I got better throughout my time there, but still hated running and only did it because I HAD to do it...so I wold run 3 miles at most just to get faster for the 2 miler and the fastest I could ever push 2-miles (and this is dying at the end) was about 16:15 minutes. I graduated at that speed.  That summer after graduation I knee I was about to become a platoon leader--an officer in charge of leading 30 other Soldiers and leading by example was way important to me.  I could do push ups, sit ups, other exercises forever, but my running was not so hot (in comparison to my peers and what I would need to do as an officer) and I finally got motivated.  I ran that summer, I ran and ran.  I started running by time: I will run for 30 minutes, I will run for 40 minutes, and kept just moving that time up and I got to the point where running 6 miles was easy for me because I had adapted my body to doing that, and the more I ran the faster I got.  By the time I got to my officer's basic course in the fall I had dropped my two-mile time literally 2 minutes and was running in the 14's with a little more than 7 minute miles.  That summer I beat the mental barrier--I had literally told myself before that due to my body type I would NEVER be able to run fast.  I had a friend tell me once, Britt, you'll run in the 14's some day, I'd bet on it.  She should've...once I got through that mental barrier of I can't to I think I can my runs improved INCREDIBLY, and not only that, I found that I actually liked it and made 5-7 miles runs part of my regular lifestyle and it helped me keep my times fairly good.  One of the first things I did as a platoon leader was take my PT test with my platoon--and I beat the majority of the platoon--not just the girls, but majority of the platoon.  The respect points that earned me were priceless as a leader in that job.  That only built my confidence.  No major breakthroughs in running happened between my tour in Germany, my first tour in Iraq, and coming back to the US in the fall of '06.  The breakthrough came when I deployed the second time...the first time was a great tour for me, the second time I was stuck in a stressful staff job with long hours of the same thing everyday, 7 days a week, for 15 months.  When we first got into country they were advertising for the Baghdad Army 10-miler, and I said you know what, I'm gonna do that. I have never run 10 miles, and I don't really need to run any further than that, but if anything getting a Baghdad 10 miler t-shirt would be cool.  So, in Oct '06 I did that race there in Baghdad and I finished the 10-miler in 87 minutes, just under 9 minute pace and I was happy with that...and I realized I really enjoyed it and it had been a stress reliever to train for it.  So I just started running, and running got further, and I was joined by a friend, and we both started running 10-12 miles a few times a week and it was truly therapy to run, to chit chat and vent while we ran...it was the only time of the day we owned as our own even if it was 5AM and we occassionally had to duck in bunkers to avoid mortars/rockets (seriously).  So, we decided to run a marathon--that would be the end goal of it all...and we just kept running.  People thought we were nuts, and we liked it that they thought that because we were tougher than they were, we were doing something they wouldn't attempt (can you tell egos are involved in the military).  I ran my first 1/2 Mary in May when the Indianapolis 500 Festival hosted a satellite race in Baghdad like their 1/2 Mary there.  It was the first time I'd run that far and it was great! In July, when my friend convinced me I should do triathlons when I got back to the states and I found this site and started really cross training, eating much healthier and lost weight, the time began to FALL off my runs and I could continue to do more, go farther, and be faster.  Thanks to Uncle Sam extending us, I had the opportunity to run the Baghdad 10-miler in '07--this time I did it 10 minutes faster than I had the previous year and I was thrilled.  I was sold at this point thanks to BT and thanks to the habit my body had made running.  That puts me where I am today--a running fool.  I love it, I crave it, I get a little crazy when I can't do it, and I now embrace the challenge instead of avoid it.  Running the 1/2 Mary in Houston was incredible--and I tell you what, just 1 1/2 years ago I was telling my friends running marathons that they were crazy and here I am less than a month from my first one.  I am NOT a natural runner. I DO NOT have a runner's body.  What I do have is a love for challenges and ability to set goals and go for it with all I've got.  If I was to cite the three top things that helped me improve my running it would be:
1. Conquering the mental barrier--this happened when I started running just for time and worked up to where I could run for an hour (regardless of speed--even though that got better).  This was huge. I had to get past the "I can't do this because it isn't natural for me."  When I did that, my running future became wide open!
2. Increasing distance- I was stuck at just running low mileage and this didn't really train me for anything but that distance, meaning that distance beat me everytime cause I needed to be able to go beyond it.  As you can, increase your distance, regardless of speed.  If you get to where you can do 2 miles instead of 1, I assure that you 1 will become easier and faster cause you now can pour more into that 1 cause your body is trained for 2.
3. Shedding some pounds- My time really started melting when I lost about 20 lbs between July-Nov '07...the lighter you are, the easier it is to run.  I still would like to lose some more as my legs could stand to lose some--I'm 5'3 and about 133lbs, so I'm not a stick at all.  I lost weight simply through healthy eating with a focus on whole grains and fresh veggies/fruits and watching how many calories I took in vs. how many I was expending.

So, there, in a quick nutshell--cause i surely could write more--is my running story.  Here I am, a month from my first marathon and I legitimately think it's possible for me to maybe run a 3:40--and if I do that'd be Boston Qualifying.  I ran a distance PR of 20 miles yesterday and I can't believe I can do that that!  I'm grateful for what I've discovered God has given me and found I gotta use it.  I've gone from the girl that hated running with a passion to a girl with a passion for running and is actually good at it!  ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE! 

I have picked up a lot of good running tips, techniques in this time, and never have a problem offering some specific advice, so if you have questions, I can't assure answers, but I sure can try or at least tell you what worked for me!

I think I better go get my housework done now...hope this has helped or encouraged in some way. 

2008-01-21 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

thanks for that Britt.  You totally made me think its possible for me to do a marathon someday

The mental barrier is HUGE for me.  So I am looking for advice.  I have friends who have years of base as runners built up and they are quite fast.  And they hear about the number of hours of training I am putting in so they assume that I am "fast" as well. Currently my response to them when they start talking about running is "yeah, but I'm the slowest runner in the world!" or "I suck at running, but I do it"

I actually used this language this morning over a conversation at breakfast with someone much faster than I.  Then he and I had a conversation about the demoralizing effects of trying to keep up with someone who is faster. I tried to spin it positive and say that I actually enjoy it which is something I NEVER would have imaged a year ago, but I was pretty hard on myself about my running.

Your story reminded me that I am already shooting myself in the foot before I even put my running shoes on.  I actually am enjoying running- I usually feel like I can conquer the world after and I feel good doing it alone,  but when I talk about it with other people I am using really negative language and just building that mental block higher.

So how do I spin these conversation with other people who have years of running experience and the speed to match?  That yeah, I train really hard but don't have the speed... yet

And it's a beautiful day in vancouver so I think I'll go run!!!

2008-01-21 3:34 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
That is very inspiring, Brit.

I am the same way as Jeni. I run, but I am not fast. I feel fine running alone. I get depressed, stressed and panic trying to keep up when I run with others. I have a lot of mental demons that tell me that no matter what, I will never be a fast runner. Some of that is mental crap, but part of it is reality. I don't want to blow sunshine up my butt by thinking that I'm gonna be able to run a 1:45 half mary or a 20 minute 5K, when that probably won't ever happen. I would love to run that fast. But I'm not sure if I ever will be able to that. Is that being negative or is that being realistic?

I like to set myself up for success. I do have goals. I want to run a sub 50 minute 10K this year. I want to run a sub 2 hour half marathon this year. And I want a sub 22 minute 5K. These are the exact same running goals I set last year. I didn't make them. I think that I SHOULD be able to achieve them. I believe that 100 percent. Does that mean I will this year? I don't know. It is very frustrating and one of the biggest reasons I got a coach. I had all these well-meaning friends telling me different things to make my run faster. I felt very overwhelmed and confused. So now I am doing only what my coach tells me. I also have to take the fact that I am starting at ground zero from being injured. I feel like I am YEARS behind what I was last year.

All that being said, I will never give up and stop running. I will run to the best of my abilities. I am a firm believer in race your strengths and train your weaknesses. I did not want to be a downer, but that is the kind of mental crap I carry around when I run. Another goal for me this year: To complete a stand alone running race with a sense of pride and accomplishment vs. disappointment and frustration!

2008-01-21 4:48 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Wow Brit - thats a great story about achieving more than you dreamed... and look a tthe distances you are now training for! Awesome!!!

Jeni - I hear ya on the negative talk... most serious runners will just think it is great you are getting out there so just be honest. Tell them what speed you can run and how youve improved nad how you are training to get even better!

Dont say 'I only run..." simply say "I run.." they wont make any judgements!

2008-01-21 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC

Running truly is my nemisis.  That's why I do tri's, it is more than just running.  LOL  My run times are 12-14 min miles.  I know that is really slow, but I struggle to just do that much.  I still have to stop and walk as well.  As I run, I keep telling myself "one day this will be easier, one day this will be easier".  I am SO ready for that "one day".  LOL  It is hard to break through the mental barrier.  I am now just telling myself that I am doing this for the rest of my life as a healthy lifestyle.  I will either improve or I won't, but I won't ever stop.

Thanks for the story Brit, I hope to have a similiar story....someday. 

2008-01-21 8:15 PM
in reply to: #1168500

User image

Extreme Veteran
kaqphin - 2008-01-21 2:48 PM

It always amazes me what a difference a word can make :-D

I am currently mentally prepping myself for my group run tomorrow morning.  Yay mental training. 

2008-01-21 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1168773

User image

Champion
Sydney
excited2tri - 2008-01-22 12:53 PM

Running truly is my nemisis.  That's why I do tri's, it is more than just running.  LOL  My run times are 12-14 min miles.  I know that is really slow, but I struggle to just do that much.  I still have to stop and walk as well.  As I run, I keep telling myself "one day this will be easier, one day this will be easier".  I am SO ready for that "one day".  LOL  It is hard to break through the mental barrier.  I am now just telling myself that I am doing this for the rest of my life as a healthy lifestyle.  I will either improve or I won't, but I won't ever stop.

Thanks for the story Brit, I hope to have a similiar story....someday. 

Always remember this.... if you run for just one second more than you did last time.... you did more than last time!!! (and i know you can do one second more!)

celebrate the small victories... they make journey easier and more enjoyable!

2008-01-21 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1168795

User image

Champion
Sydney
Out4atime - 2008-01-22 1:15 PM
kaqphin - 2008-01-21 2:48 PM

It always amazes me what a difference a word can make :-D

I am currently mentally prepping myself for my group run tomorrow morning.  Yay mental training. 

Im sure youll have a lot of fun!

My relationship with running was always i feel great... when its over!!!!!

2008-01-21 10:35 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

After reading some responses, I'm going to lump together some thoughts I had when reading them-

Addressing the negative talk- that actually does make a huge difference, or so I noticed.  Even now, after reading one of KathyG's post about the fact that she now says " I GET to run" instead of "I have to run" rings true in my ears and with every long run leading up to this marathon I have mentally made sure I said that--I get to do it.  That helps increase the enjoyment--and Jeni, that's huge--that you enjoy it is part of the mental barrier breakdown process.

I hated running with other people, and still prefer to run on my own.  When I really struggled with running, running in groups just made me hate it more.  I played college softball, and occassionally we'd run up a ski-slope there--it was brutal.  Not only did I hate running, but I hated hills even more, just looking at them crushed me.  To make it worse, when I was one of the last ones, if not the last one and people were coming back to help me, it de-moralized me more.  Running on my own I is when I overcame the mental barrier, and I slowly was able to start running with others if they were the same pace or totally let me set the pace.  Of course, this isn't one size fit all, but I had to get through it on my own by setting and beating my own personal goals and not against someone else.

Everyone's bodies are different, but I do totally know that my speed increased as my distance increased.  My speed for the farther distances didn't necessarily get faster, but say I needed to train for a 5K, I would practice at 10K distances because if my endurance could take me to 10K, then I could use all of that energy in a 5K at a faster pace, and I mentally thought about it that way and it helped.

It's a gradual process, and definitely not quick--it's taken me 9 1/2 years to get where I am, and I had the "luxury" (haha) of 15 months in Iraq with LITERALLY nothing else to do...without that, I know I wouldn't be where I am.  I wish there was a quick and easy method to it, but it's diligence, positive thinking, celebrating the little victories, and gradual increase in what you can do.  Don't short yourself on your goals, be it time or mileage (barring injury of course)...if you have planned to run 2 miles, then run 2 miles, if you have planned to run for 30 minutes, run that time frame and gradually increase, even if it's just a minute or tenth of a mile.  As with every discipline, each further push further trains the body.  You may not be faster in that 31 minutes than the 30 minutes, but the victory is you went 31.

2008-01-22 1:56 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Here is my positive, happy running report for the day: I did 1x40 strides on the treadmill pain-free! Yay!!! First time at level 8 since my injury and I wasn't hobbling afterwards. I'll let y'all know how my legs feel tomorrow.

Pam
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44