BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2008-02-11 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1204898

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME
aquinn - 2008-02-11 8:56 AM

Okay , tri people....what would you do if your pool was CLOSED ALL WEEK as mine now is? Concentrate on upper body strength and do more bikes? More runs? HELP ME - I AM PANICKING!

Yikes!  But do any of the schools (high schools, colleges, universities) nearby have pools?  Check out those avenues -- maybe someone institution has an indoor pool and allows community members to get a membership, or something.

Oh, and have FUN with the Garmin!

2008-02-11 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1098772

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Sounds like a good time for "Run Focus Week"
2008-02-11 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

I am by no means a great runner, but the run will be my strongest event. Am I better to focus on the bike this week or run run run?

PS- chargin' up the garmin, baby!

2008-02-11 12:19 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
it's just a week, don't panic!  if you are comfortable with your run, it sounds to me like you could use some .  Give yourself a mini - challenge, something manageable...maybe that you'll ride the trainer for :30 min EVERY weekday, and longer on the weekend? 
2008-02-11 1:24 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Pardon the reflection time, but hopefully it can help someone else too. 

Mimi asked some questions (maybe more rhetorical but still cause for thought) about my goals and training for the race on Saturday.  I have been processing them and wanted to share my thoughts, feelings (not that for a guySurprised), and evaluations. 

I have laid out goals to have an awesome marathon in the fall.  The targets are a reach based on what I have done so far.  It calls for improvement in both top end speed and endurance. 

When I started running again in December, I had planned (hoped for) being back into form and shape by this race.  As such, my optimistic goal was to run a 37:17 – using the McMillian Calculator that was the equivalent of my 5k PR time over the course of a 5 mile event.  I set up a run training plan using the tool on Runners World.com to map out achieving that goal. 

Now, the execution of that plan was a little lackluster.  I couldn’t handle the pace and distance of the tempo workout, I was (am) still carrying excess holiday weight – and gaining some more even (think I have reversed that trend now), and wasn’t doing a great job of getting in sufficient Cross Training, more playing around than doing anything real.  To top it off, I took a week off 2 weeks prior to the race as I was fighting off the sickness I spread throughout the household. 

So come race day, that top end goal was unrealistic.  I didn’t have the miles or speed work to achieve it.  My secondary goal was to go sub 40, during mile 3 I was questioning the legitimacy of that goal, but persevered and got it in the end.  When running that through the calculator it equates to a 23:55 - 5k, 1:25 slower than my PR.  That PR was set much closer to sea level – wonder if I need to factor that into my goals – but it was also the run leg of a Sprint Tri.    

Another goal was to not be last in my age group for a CMRA race – that one is very hard to control, because you can’t control who shows up.  I ended up 4th out of 4.  So out of the three races I have done with this group, I have been last in AG in each one.  Funny thing is, even if I would have hit my optimistic goal, I still would have been last by about 1:20. 

Basically, I still have a lot of work to do and maybe reassess my intermediary goals. 

I have 6 weeks to a 10K, and, if the weather cooperates, would like to shoot for a PR there. 

• Optimistic 46:24 – which would equate to a lowering of my 5K PR
  • Secondary 47:45 – would be the 10K equivalent of my Denver 5K PR
  • PR             48:30 – which would mean dropping 7-8 seconds per mile from Saturday’s race pace
2008-02-11 1:56 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Scott, thanks for sharing your thoughts!  we all learn from eachother. 

2008-02-11 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Heart rate, heart rate- who's got one?  Now that I am a Big Shot Garmin Owner, guess I need to determine some zones for myself, huh? What's the best way? One of the tests I looked at on BT made me shudder-- I think it was the line "this is going to hurt; there's no other way" that made me shiver- I pictured myself leaving my teeth on the treadmill. The ground here is just too slippery right now to go out and really push my speed. And the bike part is on a trainer for sure. So who wants to step up to the plate and baby talk me through this one? Looking for a knowledgable cheerleader....anyone? Bueller?

2008-02-11 7:55 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

One time I did an "indoor OLY" as part of a training day.  I know it is not the way you are really supposed to conduct these tests but it took the pain out of it, kind of ;P

On the treadmill, I set out to do a nice easy 2 miles, during the next mile I picked up the pace and then ran at 5k PR pace and took the average for the last 20 minutes.

On the trainer I did the same thing(it was several hours later).  I warmed up to a good pace, then just hit a gear and cadence that I thought I could maintain for 30-40 minutes.  Then I took the average for the last projected 20  minutes.

btw, I did "win" the race that day  

2008-02-11 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1206020

User image

Master
South Florida
aquinn - 2008-02-11 6:27 PM

Heart rate, heart rate- who's got one?  Now that I am a Big Shot Garmin Owner, guess I need to determine some zones for myself, huh? What's the best way? One of the tests I looked at on BT made me shudder-- I think it was the line "this is going to hurt; there's no other way" that made me shiver- I pictured myself leaving my teeth on the treadmill. The ground here is just too slippery right now to go out and really push my speed. And the bike part is on a trainer for sure. So who wants to step up to the plate and baby talk me through this one? Looking for a knowledgable cheerleader....anyone? Bueller?

Here's from a previous post:  Here's a link to a page on my coach's website regarding zones:  http://www.fit2tri.com/articles/article/786543/6807.htm.  

2008-02-11 8:04 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

...Also, if you have a few hours, check out this discussion on the forum:  http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1

The threshold test is a good field test....a 10 minute warm up, then bust a move for 20 minutes...hard as you can go, but still finish (I've had to scrap a few for going out too hard )...10 minutes into that 20 minute hard effort, hit your lap button-and what ever your average hr is for the first 10 min. is your LT - then you can just plug the number into a formula and get your hr...DISCLAIMER:  telling you how to do the test from memory, so it could be wrong!  check Joe Friel's Training Bible, or look on the forum - Mike Ricci explains it well.

2008-02-12 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Debbie Downer checking in...

stupid piriformis muscle pinching stupid sciatic nerve and stupid HMO that makes it f'n stupid hard to get to a PT.

I want to move back to NY, to my ART guy, to my old insurance, to my old roads that weren't so stupidly crowned.

Cranky Pants!!!

2008-02-12 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1206898

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

k_hase - 2008-02-12 8:22 AM Debbie Downer checking in... stupid piriformis muscle pinching stupid sciatic nerve and stupid HMO that makes it f'n stupid hard to get to a PT. I want to move back to NY, to my ART guy, to my old insurance, to my old roads that weren't so stupidly crowned. Cranky Pants!!!

And now to Chet for the weather  

But seriously, I pray that everything gets straightened out and you are back to full health and training soon. 

2008-02-12 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1206898

User image

Master
South Florida

k_hase - 2008-02-12 10:22 AM Debbie Downer checking in... stupid piriformis muscle pinching stupid sciatic nerve and stupid HMO that makes it f'n stupid hard to get to a PT. I want to move back to NY, to my ART guy, to my old insurance, to my old roads that weren't so stupidly crowned. Cranky Pants!!!

WORD....it's ok to be cranky...but this too shall pass (don't you hate it when people say this kind of stuff)....but they ARE cliches for a reason.   Hope it passes sooner than later!!

2008-02-12 7:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Kim, if there's any way possible you can coordinate visits with a Korean acupuncturist/OMD while you're here (through whatever organization is sponsoring you), they will have you repaired by the time you leave. I know it's a stretch but this is exactly the kind of thing for which Oriental Med and acupuncture are best suited.
2008-02-13 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

I'm very tired today with an important meeting mid-afternoon. Damn it. That is all.

2008-02-13 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Lord knows I've had my share of the cranks lately but I'm going to input some positive and say it's freaking beautiful today.  I'm not sure it's a good thing that I'm working from home this week as I can see outside all the time and my mind drifts easily as at work I'm in the dungeon.  Any whoooo....it's a run day and I can't wait till I get off at 4pm and go get em..  Actually, I probably need to reel in my enthusiasm a bit but it's still going to be nice to be out.  Weather for the weekend is prety dicey so I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Oh and my happy genes probably came from the glazed  cake donut I had for bfast....ohhh, bad girl.   I see a tame spinach salad on the horizon for lunch.   Not sure that will balance it but it's a shot.

Garmin ??-  I can't find my book but I don't remember it showing me this option.  I can get to my HR but it's tiny tiny in the upper right hand corner.  How can I get it to show up as one of my screens.  I like to have HR/ Pace/ Time of Day and  How long I've been out.  Pace is negociable since I should be looking at the HR anyway.   If you can help a Non Techy out I'd appreciate it!

Hope we all get or stay healthy.  Kim, I feel your pain.  Hang in there.

K

2008-02-13 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1209064

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
tri-chic - 2008-02-13 7:46 AM

I'm not sure it's a good thing that I'm working from home this week as I can see outside all the time and my mind drifts easily

Welcome to my world.
2008-02-13 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1209064

User image

Veteran
Tucson
tri-chic - 2008-02-13 7:46 AM

Lord knows I've had my share of the cranks lately but I'm going to input some positive and say it's freaking beautiful today.  I'm not sure it's a good thing that I'm working from home this week as I can see outside all the time and my mind drifts easily as at work I'm in the dungeon.  Any whoooo....it's a run day and I can't wait till I get off at 4pm and go get em..  Actually, I probably need to reel in my enthusiasm a bit but it's still going to be nice to be out.  Weather for the weekend is prety dicey so I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Oh and my happy genes probably came from the glazed  cake donut I had for bfast....ohhh, bad girl.   I see a tame spinach salad on the horizon for lunch.   Not sure that will balance it but it's a shot.

Garmin ??-  I can't find my book but I don't remember it showing me this option.  I can get to my HR but it's tiny tiny in the upper right hand corner.  How can I get it to show up as one of my screens.  I like to have HR/ Pace/ Time of Day and  How long I've been out.  Pace is negociable since I should be looking at the HR anyway.   If you can help a Non Techy out I'd appreciate it!

Hope we all get or stay healthy.  Kim, I feel your pain.  Hang in there.

K

There is a way to do it -- I've got mine set up to show me pace and HR plus two other things on one of the screens.  (Obviously, I'm not caring about the other two things.)  I'll look it up tonight and post it if someone else doesn't beat me too it.

2008-02-13 2:45 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

The rain has stopped.  Finally.  My mood is so weather dependent.  So, I have to take Quinn to swim practice at 4:15..guess I"ll load the bike up in the car, drop her and ride from there while she swims.  I'll have from 4:30-5:45 to ride, so close to the prescribed 90 minutes...then I gotta rush home to get fancified for dinner by 7:00. 

It seems like life never slows down.  I long for the simplier times    Perhaps I overcomplicate life?  Wear too many hats?  Maybe it's just that when the sun isn't shining, I feel like something is pressing down on my head that is very heavy...

Deep enough for now  , gotta go get ready for that bike ride!!

2008-02-14 6:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark

Here in Denmark the sky is blue and the sun is shining. From my desk here at work I have a fantastic view over the bay. The water is completely calm. Some minutes ago, 20 riders went by my window. If I could only go with them. Temperature is about 35°F, but when I go home it’s dark and the temperature has dropped below 27°C. Anyway it’s my off day.

Today I got an e-mail from my swim coach. He and another guy from the triclub had an accident on the bike trip the other day. Some bend ribs, a fractured hand and a heavily bruised hip. The other guy had some head injuries, not severe, as they both wore helmets. It’s going to be a while before he is back at the pool side.

Take care out there

Hans

2008-02-14 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
In the vein of good weather, I managed to see a beautiful pink sunrise over frozen Lake St. Clair this morning. My drive back from the pool today wasn't in the dark, its the first day it wasn't like that and a sure sign that spring is coming.

I stopped back at my expensive bike shop yesterday to get my numbers from my fitting and discussed my great deal on my Cannondale. I mentioned it left me a fair amount for pedals and race wheels. The very nice (and attractive but married, I checked) sales guy said that he had some aero wheels on clearance that I might like. They were orignally $1200, so I'm thinking clearance, maybe I can get them for $700, a price I'd pay for wheels I could not otherwise ever get.

Yeah, they were on clearance. For $1100. What?

I think I'm shopping in the wrong LBS.

2008-02-14 11:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Happy Valentine's Day to all. I've been a little scattered lately, not really "feelin' it" -- may be that it's been a long winter and ready for it to be over.....but not thinking ahead because don't want to have to take son off to school and leave him there......the usual. Call me Mr. Mid-Life Crisis-Man. I'm also bummed that my run time/pacing just isn't getting any better. I haven't lost as much weight as I would have wanted at this point, and my eating has gone to hell.

I wish I was a Guitar God of Rock, or a steroid-free baseball player.

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway......keep up the good work, everyone. So many races coming up and spring has to be right around the corner.....doesn't it?
2008-02-14 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Hang in there....you'll be feeling it soon enough.

Today is crazy busy and beautiful although VERY windy (more than 11 mph that my blog says) and of course I have a bike today but I'm looking forward to kickin it anyway.  Tomorrow and Saturday are suppose to get nasty so I'm taking advantage of it while I can.

Well gotta go...remember whatever happens today.. EMBRACE IT!!!  If it's good enjoy it.  If it's not so good make lemonaid and if it's a duzy..add tequila and salt to the lemonaid.

Bottoms UP!!!   Happy V day.

2008-02-14 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
WHy would you want to be a steriod free baseball player? Evidently its how you get to have a long and successful career, make lots of money, be the hero to children everywhere!!

I've hated Clemens since he claimed he was in shape during his last dismal years in Boston. A few years and a lot of HGH later look at him.

I hate him.
2008-02-14 12:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
I've never liked him -- not sure why, just a gut feeling that he was probably an idiot in 'real life'. Now that he's most likely a liar, I have a tangible reason for disliking him. His wife seems like quite a piece of work - literally and figuratively - as well. Sad.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  

of 36