Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2012-11-05 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4473891

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
popsracer - 2012-10-29 11:56 AM Ya'll are way to kind.  I'm currently waiting to see how my hip improves (ITB) but am thinking about Oceanside 70.3 at the end of March.  That would mean jumping into the plan again real soon.  Not sure I relish the thought of a race that early in the year but thought it'd be fun to do a different race.  I am sick of Boise weather.  Anyone else doing Oceanside?

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
popsracer - 2012-10-29 11:56 AM Ya'll are way to kind.  I'm currently waiting to see how my hip improves (ITB) but am thinking about Oceanside 70.3 at the end of March.  That would mean jumping into the plan again real soon.  Not sure I relish the thought of a race that early in the year but thought it'd be fun to do a different race.  I am sick of Boise weather.  Anyone else doing Oceanside?

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

I am in for Oceanside. Trying to decide which HIM plan on here would be best for me. I think I want to try the regular plan instead of the beginner plan. I do not quite have the base that it describes due to injuries but I think I can get there.

Edited by BMiller71 2012-11-05 11:14 AM
2012-11-05 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4484242

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
BMiller71 - 2012-11-05 9:10 AM

I am in for Oceanside. Trying to decide which HIM plan on here would be best for me. I think I want to try the regular plan instead of the beginner plan. I do not quite have the base that it describes due to injuries but I think I can get there.

You know what is best for yourself.  No pre-written plan can work for everyone.  I start with the beginner plan and try to hold to the theory behind it but alter for my strengths and weaknesses.  Staying healthy is by far my biggest challenge. 

Edited by popsracer 2012-11-05 1:53 PM
2012-11-07 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

Situational question --

Coming off a season that saw races of varying distance (olympic/sprint) I am registered to run the Houston Marathon Jan 11. I have a very strong running background and is my strength in Triathlon races. I have begun the Marathon training program here which has been rather easy so far.

My concern moving forward is the following: I am racing IM Texas May 18. This will be my first FULL. Because of the increase in training volume I am concerned that the 20 week plans here would only have me getting in the pool and back on the bike in LATE December. My bike fitness has fallen way off since my last race and I know that is where the work is mostly needed.

Would I be better served to add in HIM training plan leading up to the FULL training plan? Or, incorporate swims and bikes as cross-training prior to those 20 weeks?

Note: I am racing Galveston HIM in early April as a prep for IMTX.

2012-11-08 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

I am in for my first HIM in April (Galveston). I have started a custom plan here on BT with online coaching. I am blending it with a HM plan for a 13.1 in December. Therefore my volume (running) is a little higher than the custom tri plan right now. If I remain feeling good with running I may try to keep that volume up (perhaps alternate a long run 10-12 miles) every other weekend. Thoughts on that?

Also looking at getting a trainer. I am a little worried I might not be able to push myself or enjoy it.

2012-11-08 10:16 PM
in reply to: #4490110

User image

Expert
McAllen

How many weeks out do you typically start a focused HIM training plan? I'm thinking of counting backwards 22 weeks and setting up my training blocks backwards like this: 2 week taper (collegiate nationals olympic in between), 2 week race-pace prep/pace memorization, 10 weeks threshold/VO2 training, 8 weeks base build

The only reason for a shorter base build is because I'm confident about my endurance on the bike and run. My aerobic fitness is going to keep increasing in my threshold weeks anyways too so not too worried about that.

2012-11-09 7:37 AM

User image

Veteran

"My further advice, anything popsracer says here should be considered the most valuable input a reasonable half-iron contestant could  hope for; the guy brings effortless enthusiasm to the new, non-fit, hopeful triathlete.  He made me believe I could do it.  And I did it."

TRUE! Just checking-in...unless I can score some aerobars I may not be doing a HIM in 2013, but I love peeking in on your journeys. My HIM 2012 was one of the best days of my life.

2012-11-09 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4484242

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
BMiller71 - 2012-11-05 10:10 AM

I'm two weeks in to my Oceanside HIM plan.  It will be my first HIM as well. I am doing a hybrid Fink/BT plan and will be watching this thread and the Oceanside thread. Happy Training everyone.

2012-11-10 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4490110

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
bobddsmd - 2012-11-08 11:28 AM

I am in for my first HIM in April (Galveston). I have started a custom plan here on BT with online coaching. I am blending it with a HM plan for a 13.1 in December. Therefore my volume (running) is a little higher than the custom tri plan right now. If I remain feeling good with running I may try to keep that volume up (perhaps alternate a long run 10-12 miles) every other weekend. Thoughts on that?

Also looking at getting a trainer. I am a little worried I might not be able to push myself or enjoy it.

Last year, I ran marathon in may and 1st tri in July (HIM).  I ran 3x per week in prep for marathon and biked and swam 2x per week through may.  when the marathon was over, I switched to 3x week bike/swim and tried to run 3x week, but didn't always make it.  I pr'd the marathon, and finished better than expected in HIM.  I had many questions and doubts on blending the two, but ultimately with run fitness high, I think you can transition that into solid bike and adequate swim.  This year, I'm doing the same marathon and a HIM in september, so that will help having the distance between the two, but I think you'll be good with the 3-4 months inbetween.

2012-11-12 2:40 PM
in reply to: #4484241

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I started the BT beginner HIM plan for Oceanside 70.3 today.  I used this program when I did this race two years ago and it worked great.  Only thing I will change this time around is adding more hills/time on the bike.  So excited to share this journey with everyone!

2012-11-12 11:28 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Well, I've gotten a bit of a reprieve.  Was planning on doing Oceanside 70.3 but it sold out before I pulled the trigger.  Now its looking like Boise 70.3 even though I swore I'd never go back because of the horrible conditions both times I was there.  I figure maybe third time's a charm and I now know the course very well and exactly what to train for (unless it snows).

This gives me another six weeks to keep cautiously building more base before starting the plan the first part of January.  Can't wait to start the 20 week countdown. 

2012-11-12 11:39 PM
in reply to: #4495895

User image

Elite
popsracer - 2012-11-13 4:28 PM

Well, I've gotten a bit of a reprieve.  Was planning on doing Oceanside 70.3 but it sold out before I pulled the trigger.  Now its looking like Boise 70.3 even though I swore I'd never go back because of the horrible conditions both times I was there.  I figure maybe third time's a charm and I now know the course very well and exactly what to train for (unless it snows).

This gives me another six weeks to keep cautiously building more base before starting the plan the first part of January.  Can't wait to start the 20 week countdown. 

You have unfinished business with Boise 70.3 - get back there and smash it.

2012-11-13 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4495902

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
jobaxas - 2012-11-12 9:39 PM
popsracer - 2012-11-13 4:28 PM

You have unfinished business with Boise 70.3 - get back there and smash it.

Hey Jo, what's up for you this coming season?

And yes, I plan to work harder and smarter so it would take another freak storm to derail me. 

2012-11-24 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
First 1/2 IM May 2013. Here we go...
2012-11-24 2:47 PM

User image

New user

wow I never did a HIM before so I did the 20 weeks plan posted here for beginners and finished Ironman 70.3 miami with 5:18:00..  I had so much fun that I already register for Ironman 70.3 San Juan and Full Ironman Florida!! whot whot 

2012-11-25 8:15 AM

User image

Regular
Florida
I started this journey April of this year. I will be doing the Atlantic Coast Half Ironman in October of 2013. my brother really wants to run the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington, DC with me which is at the end of October and my half iron is the first weekend in October so I should be ok. I'm excited to run with my brother, this will be his first marathon and my second. He and I have never run together (we are 10 years apart in age.) but I'm really excited to this with him!The question is, since I have more than 20weeks before my triathlon, what to do for the "off season"?Since I'm weak in everything and I do not want to get hit by a car on a bike, I am currently running a lot, building my base until I can save enough to get a trainer for my bike. I swim a couple times a week, long slow distance about 1 to 1.5 miles at a crack.My training log is public so take a look and feel free to make suggestions.My goal is get to the starting line of my half injury free. Beat my brother for the marathon, and have a solid base for Ironman Florida in 2014. Thanks to all of you for you time and advice.
2012-11-25 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4509120

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

halford_tenark - 2012-11-25 6:15 AM I started this journey April of this year. I will be doing the Atlantic Coast Half Ironman in October of 2013. my brother really wants to run the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington, DC with me which is at the end of October and my half iron is the first weekend in October so I should be ok. I'm excited to run with my brother, this will be his first marathon and my second. He and I have never run together (we are 10 years apart in age.) but I'm really excited to this with him!The question is, since I have more than 20weeks before my triathlon, what to do for the "off season"?Since I'm weak in everything and I do not want to get hit by a car on a bike, I am currently running a lot, building my base until I can save enough to get a trainer for my bike. I swim a couple times a week, long slow distance about 1 to 1.5 miles at a crack.My training log is public so take a look and feel free to make suggestions.My goal is get to the starting line of my half injury free. Beat my brother for the marathon, and have a solid base for Ironman Florida in 2014. Thanks to all of you for you time and advice.

Very individualized question, but I would continue running and swimming.  If you have access to a spin bike, try and get a couple bike w/o's in and build stamina on the bike.  When HIM plan starts, try to run at least 3x a week doing short recovery run, High intensity medium runs, and your long run for marathon build up.  get in at least 2 swims a week, and at least 3 bikes.  The plan is low on cycling, so try to compensate for this by stretching out the miles on many of the rides, or adding additional sessions.  I personally ran a marathon, then did HIM 3 months later, and cut back on the run, while ramping up on the s/b. 

You should be able to run 3x per week, bike 3x and swim at least 2x and finish HIM and set up for marathon.  The only thing I would worry about is fatigue from HIM going into marathon 3 weeks later, but this would generally be the time of marathon taper, so you may be o.k and well rested. 

Hope all goes well for you, and descisions you make now can really set you up well for 2 great races!

2012-11-25 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
I just signed up for my first 70.3 at Racine in July. Just wrapping up my training for 13.1 at the Dallas Marathon. Scheduled to kick off the HIM training mid-February.

I've participated in marathon and up to 50 mile in triathlon, anything I need to prepare myself for going another 20 miles?

p.s. plan to load a BT train plan
2012-11-26 3:04 AM
in reply to: #4509234

User image

Regular
Florida
kevinbe - 2012-11-25 12:26 PM

halford_tenark - 2012-11-25 6:15 AM I started this journey April of this year. I will be doing the Atlantic Coast Half Ironman in October of 2013. my brother really wants to run the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington, DC with me which is at the end of October and my half iron is the first weekend in October so I should be ok. I'm excited to run with my brother, this will be his first marathon and my second. He and I have never run together (we are 10 years apart in age.) but I'm really excited to this with him!The question is, since I have more than 20weeks before my triathlon, what to do for the "off season"?Since I'm weak in everything and I do not want to get hit by a car on a bike, I am currently running a lot, building my base until I can save enough to get a trainer for my bike. I swim a couple times a week, long slow distance about 1 to 1.5 miles at a crack.My training log is public so take a look and feel free to make suggestions.My goal is get to the starting line of my half injury free. Beat my brother for the marathon, and have a solid base for Ironman Florida in 2014. Thanks to all of you for you time and advice.

Very individualized question, but I would continue running and swimming.  If you have access to a spin bike, try and get a couple bike w/o's in and build stamina on the bike.  When HIM plan starts, try to run at least 3x a week doing short recovery run, High intensity medium runs, and your long run for marathon build up.  get in at least 2 swims a week, and at least 3 bikes.  The plan is low on cycling, so try to compensate for this by stretching out the miles on many of the rides, or adding additional sessions.  I personally ran a marathon, then did HIM 3 months later, and cut back on the run, while ramping up on the s/b. 

You should be able to run 3x per week, bike 3x and swim at least 2x and finish HIM and set up for marathon.  The only thing I would worry about is fatigue from HIM going into marathon 3 weeks later, but this would generally be the time of marathon taper, so you may be o.k and well rested. 

Hope all goes well for you, and descisions you make now can really set you up well for 2 great races!

Thanks for the input. Spent this long weekend mapping out the new year and thinking everything thru. Thank you.

2012-11-26 2:47 PM

User image

Howdy, signed up for Hawaii 70.3 as my first go at that distance! Probably a bit ambitious as my race resume is sparse and all, but heck this is my last year in Hawaii and I figured better make the most of it.

Picking up a few training partners which is nice and we are working on the "base" now. Looking forward to hearing everyone's stories and commiserate.

Justin

2012-11-29 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4510617

User image

Regular

I have a spot for Vineman 70.3 (7/14/13), planning to use the beginner HIM plan, which starts 2/24/13.  It will be my first triathlon unless I find something shorter to do before then. 

I have a running background (doing my 20th marathon this weekend), but started swimming in August after breaking my 5th metatarsal (pinky foot bone).  I have been bicycling inconsistently for a number of years, until this last summer more consistently with 40-80 miles/week and also commuting a few days a week on a bike.  Now working out 9-12 hours/week without having started a formal training plan, and feeling pretty good.  Looking forward to being part of this thread.

2012-12-18 9:34 AM

User image

New user

Just printed off the training plan. Planning on doing my first Half Ironman in 2013. Not sure where or when, but I figured I would start the training process early!!

I just started racing this year (2012). I've done two Sprints and one Olympic distance. I didn't do too bad in any of them considering I just started racing. The Olympic distance tri was the last one I did this year and I finished 2nd in my age group and 11th overall out of just over 170 racers.

I look forward to reading all the posts and talking to other athletes doing the same thing I am!!

Thanks,
Kevin

2012-12-19 2:07 PM

User image

New user

Rochester, New York

Hi,

My name is Blake. I live in Roch, NY and I just signed up for Musselman 70.3 next July for my first true triathlon. I plan on doing some sprints/olympics before. I have been a marathoner and now looking to reduce running miles and add in some swimming and biking. I have been doing all 3 for about 3 months now and just building some volume and swim technique which I need bad. Looking forward to officially starting my training. What swim base do I need to start this program? Thank you!

Blake

2012-12-22 12:42 AM
in reply to: #4541683

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Blake Landry - 2012-12-19 12:07 PM

Hi,

My name is Blake. I live in Roch, NY and I just signed up for Musselman 70.3 next July for my first true triathlon. I plan on doing some sprints/olympics before. I have been a marathoner and now looking to reduce running miles and add in some swimming and biking. I have been doing all 3 for about 3 months now and just building some volume and swim technique which I need bad. Looking forward to officially starting my training. What swim base do I need to start this program? Thank you!

Blake

I used this program to complete my one and only tri last year.  I had been swimming about 3 months 3x per week or so prior just logging laps.  I then started on TI as I was beginning this program and was transitioning with TI drills.  I was doing a long, medium, and short swim per week and logging in around 3000-4000 yds per week over the 3 sessions prior to starting with this HIM plan. 

for the training, I followed the swim workout distances and just supplemented TI drills instead of the plan drills.  I got in all of the intervals and yds, and finished my HIM swim in 46 minutes.  I was happy with the swimming in this plan.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150