BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-05-27 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1427106

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Subject: RE: light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED
+rep for the Inspector Gadget reference

2008-05-27 7:00 PM
in reply to: #1349986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Rupert everet wasn't any good as Claw... Anthony La Paglia on the other hand....

Also

<------  4 pink stars!!!!! YAY!!!!!    

Edited by light_sabe_r 2008-05-27 7:01 PM
2008-05-27 7:26 PM
in reply to: #1427221

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
light_sabe_r - 2008-05-27 5:00 PM

Rupert everet wasn't any good as Claw... Anthony La Paglia on the other hand....

Also

<------  4 pink stars!!!!! YAY!!!!!    

I always preferred Get Smart ... wanted to be 99 soooooooooo bad!
2008-05-27 7:57 PM

Grrr...the pool was closed tonight, b/c some kid had an accident in it. Awesome. And I didn't have anything to run or bike with, plus after this weekend, I wanted to rest my legs. My psycho roommate is being extra-psycho right now, so I didn't want to go home, so I drove around for awhile and went to REI to poke around.

2008-05-28 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1427360

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-27 5:57 PM

Grrr...the pool was closed tonight, b/c some kid had an accident in it. Awesome. And I didn't have anything to run or bike with, plus after this weekend, I wanted to rest my legs. My psycho roommate is being extra-psycho right now, so I didn't want to go home, so I drove around for awhile and went to REI to poke around.

ewwwwwwwww ... and how frustrating!

You can come stay with me when the roommate gets too psycho. ;-)
2008-05-28 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1428397

SpiritFire - 2008-05-28 11:43 AM

ewwwwwwwww ... and how frustrating! You can come stay with me when the roommate gets too psycho. ;-)

Thanks! I basically let her have it, via email, yesterday. On Monday, she accused me of breaking the vacuum and insisted I go and buy a new one - that was $75 I didn't feel like spending, found the cheapest one I could too - thank God that Target is open all the time, even 7pm on Memorial Day. So she sent me an email the next day asking why I was pissed at her - the brief description of my answer is in my log for today. Seriously, she has issues, and I know you can't force people to change, but if enough people stop associating with her, she might get the hint.

2008-05-28 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1428428

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-28 8:57 AM

SpiritFire - 2008-05-28 11:43 AM

ewwwwwwwww ... and how frustrating! You can come stay with me when the roommate gets too psycho. ;-)

Thanks! I basically let her have it, via email, yesterday. On Monday, she accused me of breaking the vacuum and insisted I go and buy a new one - that was $75 I didn't feel like spending, found the cheapest one I could too - thank God that Target is open all the time, even 7pm on Memorial Day. So she sent me an email the next day asking why I was pissed at her - the brief description of my answer is in my log for today. Seriously, she has issues, and I know you can't force people to change, but if enough people stop associating with her, she might get the hint.

I had a roommate once, and only once ... once was enough!

2008-05-28 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Longest bike ride ever, today!  I got out and saw some of rural Indiana.  It's funny that it only takes about five minutes to go from businesses and resturants to cows and corn.  It's nice to be out on the country roads though.  No traffic and no stoplights.  And the weather was perfect today.  I'm bummed that I'm going to have to ruin a perfect day by going to work. 

2008-05-28 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1428750

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Timely post Emily ... I was just going to rant about my planned bike ride today - you've given me a bit of inspiration.

I had planned to go for a bike ride today, however I must admit - as the hour is getting closer and closer, I am realizing how absolutely terrified I am of my bike! I'm scared of my clipless pedals and being able to unclip properly and falling over, I'm scared of (what I consider to be) my poor bike handling skills and getting hit by a car .. I'm scared of cars! And other cyclists, and pedestrians .. and so on.

I don't want to be scared of my bike!

Other than a quick ride up and down the multi-use trail a few weeks ago, I haven't been on my bike at all in probably at least 2 months. And since I have a triathlon in 6 weeks - I need to get on my bike.

It's a gorgeous sunny day here - would it be wrong to set my bike up on the trainer in the yard, just to get my bike legs back and get a bit more comfortable in the saddle?

I think I need to find a bike-handling skills class, asap.
2008-05-28 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1428858

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Forget all that - I did it. Just sucked it up and did it.

Wasn't pretty. I couldn't clip in when I first got on (fear of clipless pedals!) and I was weaving allll over a fairly busy road ... a car actually honked at me. That certainly didn't make me feel any better! Then I got clipped in, got my 3 blocks down the busy street to the side street, that connects with the multi-use trail ... got on the trail and had no problems from that point on.

I even passed a lady on a mountain bike, and hard-core tri-chick (the animal I know so well from all that time on the trainer) kicked in - and I automatically switched into race mode and just hammered past her. I was proud of myself for that. Didn't even consciously realize I was off the trainer, at first. ;-)

OH - and I made it up the hill to get back to my house ... it's not a huge hill, but you have to really slow right down to make a very sharp turn onto the street that has the huge hill - so you're basically starting with no momentum at the bottom. I made it up!

Although - this is the first time I've ridden since a tune-up ... and my gears don't seem to be functioning properly. I'll give it another ride then take it back to them.

YAY for me!

I'm such a wimp.
2008-05-28 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1429077

SpiritFire - 2008-05-28 3:58 PM Forget all that - I did it. Just sucked it up and did it. Wasn't pretty. I couldn't clip in when I first got on (fear of clipless pedals!) and I was weaving allll over a fairly busy road ... a car actually honked at me. That certainly didn't make me feel any better! Then I got clipped in, got my 3 blocks down the busy street to the side street, that connects with the multi-use trail ... got on the trail and had no problems from that point on. I even passed a lady on a mountain bike, and hard-core tri-chick (the animal I know so well from all that time on the trainer) kicked in - and I automatically switched into race mode and just hammered past her. I was proud of myself for that. Didn't even consciously realize I was off the trainer, at first. ;-) OH - and I made it up the hill to get back to my house ... it's not a huge hill, but you have to really slow right down to make a very sharp turn onto the street that has the huge hill - so you're basically starting with no momentum at the bottom. I made it up! Although - this is the first time I've ridden since a tune-up ... and my gears don't seem to be functioning properly. I'll give it another ride then take it back to them. YAY for me! I'm such a wimp.

Hooray! Having cars honk at you is the worst. Re: your gears - might just be because they've just been tuned - things will feel tighter right after, so it might take a ride or two for them to loosen up a bit so they shift more easily. If you're having real problems, take it back, but it could just be because it was tuned and you aren't used to it.

2008-05-28 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1429077

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

SpiritFire - 2008-05-28 3:58 PM Forget all that - I did it. Just sucked it up and did it. Wasn't pretty. I couldn't clip in when I first got on (fear of clipless pedals!) and I was weaving allll over a fairly busy road ... a car actually honked at me. That certainly didn't make me feel any better! Then I got clipped in, got my 3 blocks down the busy street to the side street, that connects with the multi-use trail ... got on the trail and had no problems from that point on. I even passed a lady on a mountain bike, and hard-core tri-chick (the animal I know so well from all that time on the trainer) kicked in - and I automatically switched into race mode and just hammered past her. I was proud of myself for that. Didn't even consciously realize I was off the trainer, at first. ;-) OH - and I made it up the hill to get back to my house ... it's not a huge hill, but you have to really slow right down to make a very sharp turn onto the street that has the huge hill - so you're basically starting with no momentum at the bottom. I made it up! Although - this is the first time I've ridden since a tune-up ... and my gears don't seem to be functioning properly. I'll give it another ride then take it back to them. YAY for me! I'm such a wimp.

Good for you for braving the traffic!  The more you ride in traffic the easier it gets.  As for the pedals - If you look back at my log from Monday you'll see that it took me three tries to get clipped in at a stoplight on a hill.  I felt so bad for the guy in the truck behind me!  I'm still having trouble getting clipped in but it is getting better.  I still didn't get it on the first try on the hill today but at least I was smart enough to realize that I could keep using my left foot to pedal even if I was having trouble with the right.  I have a feeling that the more I ride the easier it will get. 

2008-05-28 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Well done on the sucking up - it's great that you were able to face it and Tri chick kicked in. You're an inspiration.

I'm getting nervous about the Tri now. I was O.K. until a friend called me yesterday and discussed how we were going to get there and what we needed to do and it struck me that it's only a few days away. I know I'll be O.K. I know I can get round but it doesn't stop the butterflies!
2008-05-28 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1429569

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Kate_r - 2008-05-28 3:13 PM

Well done on the sucking up - it's great that you were able to face it and Tri chick kicked in. You're an inspiration.

I'm getting nervous about the Tri now. I was O.K. until a friend called me yesterday and discussed how we were going to get there and what we needed to do and it struck me that it's only a few days away. I know I'll be O.K. I know I can get round but it doesn't stop the butterflies!

If I managed to get myself out on the bike today - you'll totally be fine! ... seriously ... your inner tri-chick will kick in too. ;-)
2008-05-28 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1427271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

SpiritFire - 2008-05-28 11:26 AM I always preferred Get Smart ... wanted to be 99 soooooooooo bad!

Ahhh!  I am SOOOOO looking forward to the get smart movie!  I can't believe he still has a shoe phone!   

wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-28 11:57 AM

Nice...

Psycho roomates... BAD...   Glad you got some window shopping done though.   

esc - 2008-05-29 5:05 AM

Longest bike ride ever, today! I got out and saw some of rural Indiana. It's funny that it only takes about five minutes to go from businesses and resturants to cows and corn. It's nice to be out on the country roads though. No traffic and no stoplights. And the weather was perfect today. I'm bummed that I'm going to have to ruin a perfect day by going to work.

EMILY that's fantastic!  Is that on your new wheels???  Sounds like you had an absolute blast!  

SpiritFire - 2008-05-29 5:40 AM Timely post Emily ... I was just going to rant about my planned bike ride today - ......

The good thing about clipless in triathlon is there's only TWO places you have to worry about your pedals - The mount and dismount area.  The rest of the time they are a GODSEND!  I was going to post some words of wisdom about how many times for however many weeks I fell off my clipless pedals and the tears - OH god the tears...

But then you followed up with this Trina -

SpiritFire - 2008-05-29 6:58 AM Forget all that - I did it. Just sucked it up and did it. Wasn't pretty. I couldn't clip in when I first got on (fear of clipless pedals!) and I was weaving allll over a fairly busy road ... a car actually honked at me. That certainly didn't make me feel any better! Then I got clipped in, got my 3 blocks down the busy street to the side street, that connects with the multi-use trail ... got on the trail and had no problems from that point on. I even passed a lady on a mountain bike, and hard-core tri-chick (the animal I know so well from all that time on the trainer) kicked in - and I automatically switched into race mode and just hammered past her. I was proud of myself for that. Didn't even consciously realize I was off the trainer, at first. ;-) OH - and I made it up the hill to get back to my house ... it's not a huge hill, but you have to really slow right down to make a very sharp turn onto the street that has the huge hill - so you're basically starting with no momentum at the bottom. I made it up! Although - this is the first time I've ridden since a tune-up ... and my gears don't seem to be functioning properly. I'll give it another ride then take it back to them. YAY for me! I'm such a wimp.

Congratulations!!!!  Probably the best drill you can do for yourself to get used to the clipping in and out is in a car park or on a dead end street.  I set out water bottles and just got used to clipping out my left foot in a hurry (I'd highly suggest you clip out your right since that's the side of the road you guys ride on over there).  I learnt to rest my left foot on the gutter so I could do that at stop signs and traffic lights.  Basically at one water bottle I'd clip in.  at the second water bottle I'd have to be clipped out and stopped before I hit the end of the street.  Then turn around and try again.   

The other way I got used to it was riding a VERY familiar route to work.  By riding that way, I already knew when i needed to slow down and stop thus I'd be clipped out nice and early so I wouldn't have to track stand or fall over at the stop signs.    (Although I have done that a few times since...)

You'll be fine!  Can you tell the difference on Clipless compared to runners on normal pedals???

When i first got my bike - They forgot to lube the brake cables.  Can you imagine me already NERVOUS about the pedals and then realising I couldn't stop???  It was a VERY VERY scared!!!

I agree with Chrissy - If you're still having problems with your gears after a few more rides - take the bike back and get them to look at it.   It's a bit different after a service. 

esc - 2008-05-29 7:10 AM

I have a feeling that the more I ride the easier it will get.

Damn straight!    

Kate_r - 2008-05-29 9:13 AM  I'm getting nervous about the Tri now. I was O.K. until a friend called me yesterday and discussed how we were going to get there and what we needed to do and it struck me that it's only a few days away. I know I'll be O.K. I know I can get round but it doesn't stop the butterflies!

KATE!  Jeez that's come around quick!  GOOD LUCK.  Those butterflies will be there, They're a real help when you're struggling.  Gotta love that adrenaline rush at the start line when that gun goes off.    And I agree with Trina - Your inner tri-chick will kick in. 

Hope you all have a stella day!!!    I just forked out for a swim clinic - another month of training and some club gear - Phooeee this sport is expensive.  Oh welll - That's why I work I guess.    

2008-05-28 6:15 PM

User image

Colorado

Great job getting out on your bike!  I was afraid of my clipless pedals for awhile...I put the blocky pedals on so I could ride it in my surgical boot and when I put my Speedplays back on and rode it the first time like a "normal" person, I had a brain fart and totally forgot.  I tipped over on the playground in front of a ton of kids and split my knee open.  Freaked them all out  

Anyway, I was afraid to go clipless again for about a month afterwards!  Now I just laugh at myself when I think about it.

I have a huge audit of my lab tomorrow and will be here until LATE tonight and back in EARLY tomorrow.  Looking like 2 14 hour days   Ughhhh!  Needless to say, this will affect my training time--and family time, and time with my beloved cat......

2008-05-28 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1429651

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
I would like to add to my earlier rant - last year (my first year on the bike/doing tris) I had NO problems with courage on the bike ... no problems with clipless, no problems taking on hills, no problems with traffic (rode to work most of last summer, actually, along the highway!) ...

It's just this year! For some reason I let something get into my head over the winter and all that time on the drainer, uh I mean trainer. I don't know what it is ... but I'll get over it. I am determined to get over it.
I think I just heard too many stories of people being hit by cars, and people being run over on the bike paths. I knew there was a downside to BT.
2008-05-28 6:53 PM
in reply to: #1429651

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
As our resident cyclist, I'll be sending out some good-cycling waves uf you ladies send some running vibes my way. Sound like a good deal?

Quick question - What shoes & pedals is everyone using? I ask because that makes a HUGE difference when you're just starting out with clipless pedals.

I would even recommend double-sided SPD or TIME mountain bike pedals - MUCH EASIER entry & exit, and mtb shoes have actual walkable soles - until you really get the hang of it and want to use to road-style shoes and peals.

I know its' more $$$, but well worth it if you want to master the skill more quickly. You can get pedals at Nashbar or Performance for $30, and shoes for not much more.

Aside from that, do what Maddie said and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Oh, managed to sneak a run in between rain showers this evening.
2008-05-28 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1429714

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Running vibes, white running light, and running angels - on the way!!

I had mountain bike shoes last year, with the clipless - felt like a complete moron in the tri club spin sessions, so before my first race last year I upgraded to proper shoes and pedals ... I honestly don't know what kind they are - whatever the store sold me ... it's a store I trust though - they work with our tri club and are very reputable. They weren't cheap, though, I do know that!!! ;-)
2008-05-28 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1429718

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Hey, don't let the bums get you down. I've shown up at roadie club rides in mtb shoes and pedals. You turn the cranks the same as they do.
2008-05-28 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
Trina, Well done on the bike. I know what you mean being fine on the bike one year(for me that was 4years ago) and then it becoming all stressy.  That's me. I think we over think things. I do feel that more time out there will help me relax and realize that not every car out there is out to get you. My other worry is that I'm not confident in changing a flat.  cos I ride alone during a weekday while my son is at school I'm afraid I'll flat and I'll be stranded and wont get back in time to pick him up from school. So, I ride this boring, boring loop so I'm never far from my car. I just booked in for a bike maintenance course but not until the 9th June so iut's round and round til then. I'm bored by about an hour. Can't wait to explore.

2008-05-29 2:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Good running vibes being sent your way Brian. I've got douple sided SPD clips but they came with a plastic flat cover that makes them one sided. I've only got a pair of ACG/NIke lace up shoes. So far I haven't the courage to make them double sided and keep wimping out and wearing running shoes instead. I really know I should just do it.
2008-05-29 2:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Oh and I meant to ask - what is it with the stars - I'm assuming they relate to posts but what do the number and colours indicate?
2008-05-29 3:06 AM
in reply to: #1430151

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

Kate_r - 2008-05-29 2:45 AM Oh and I meant to ask - what is it with the stars - I'm assuming they relate to posts but what do the number and colours indicate?

If you click on "User Listing" at the to of the page, it explains them. The relate to post counts.

2008-05-29 6:37 AM

I have Look Keo pedals and cleats and my bike shoes are road shoes. I don't have much of a problem most of the time. I think the instances when I do have trouble, it's just me and not the cleat system.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23