BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-05-28 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2178168

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
SSMinnow - 2009-05-28 9:23 AM Ok kids, I made the mistake of looking at the last years swim times for the race I am doing on 6/7. Unless some super poke or really old guy shows up, I have a good chance of coming in DFL.  I'm trying not to let that bother me. Has that ever happened to anyone and how did you handle it?  I have visions of every flippin' bike gone when I get to T1. Cry

I'm OWS the distance tomorrow to get a feel for my time.  Maybe I will surprise myself?

Suzy

I've been last a few times -- my first tri I was 2nd to last out of the water.  It helps to remember you are the same speed regardless of who is in front/behind you.  Our placement in a race doesn't change anything about us.

I raced Alcatraz as a pro and EVERY bike was gone when I arrived at T1.  I can assure you that this is FAR easier to deal with that if you had a stud swimmer (relay) and got to start the bike first.  I did a relay swim for a female friend at Tupper Lake one year and she ended the ride in tears because she had never had to deal with being passed.  When Monica first started, she would lead out of the water then race until she was passed.  At that stage it was "over" -- in the early days.  Being a slow swimmer is a blessing as we have incentives to chase and not give up!

Once you are out of the water... the only way is up!  You move through all of your events heading towards your strongest leg (see your icon photo).

So... the best way for you to cope is to remember that, all day, you move closer to your strongest event. 

2009-05-28 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2178246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn - 2009-05-28 8:41 AM
cjhild - 2009-05-27 5:10 PM
GordoByrn - 2009-05-27 11:55 AM
cjhild - 2009-05-26 5:50 PM G- on my runs I try to not let my HR get above 150.  I have been walking till it is down to around 130.  Should I let it get lower or keep it higher?

Justin,

What is the duration mix between running and walking?

I try for 5:1 but don't keep that going very often.  It takes me about a minute to minute and a half to get the HR down, then anywhere between 3-5 minutes before it is back up to 150.

Where can you get yourself if you are PowerWalking only?

What's your warm-up protocol before you start running?

Thanks!

I have not tried a powerwalk alone yet, I can try it Saturday.

Warm-up:

10-15 min stretch
5 min walk
get into run:walk

I ran early today and it was 70 degrees.  It was WAY easier to keep my HR down, I did not get up to 150 until 35 minutes into the run:walk.
2009-05-28 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2178294

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
GordoByrn - 2009-05-28 10:47 AM
SSMinnow - 2009-05-28 9:23 AM Ok kids, I made the mistake of looking at the last years swim times for the race I am doing on 6/7. Unless some super poke or really old guy shows up, I have a good chance of coming in DFL.  I'm trying not to let that bother me. Has that ever happened to anyone and how did you handle it?  I have visions of every flippin' bike gone when I get to T1. Cry

I'm OWS the distance tomorrow to get a feel for my time.  Maybe I will surprise myself?

Suzy

I've been last a few times -- my first tri I was 2nd to last out of the water.  It helps to remember you are the same speed regardless of who is in front/behind you.  Our placement in a race doesn't change anything about us.

I raced Alcatraz as a pro and EVERY bike was gone when I arrived at T1.  I can assure you that this is FAR easier to deal with that if you had a stud swimmer (relay) and got to start the bike first.  I did a relay swim for a female friend at Tupper Lake one year and she ended the ride in tears because she had never had to deal with being passed.  When Monica first started, she would lead out of the water then race until she was passed.  At that stage it was "over" -- in the early days.  Being a slow swimmer is a blessing as we have incentives to chase and not give up!

Once you are out of the water... the only way is up!  You move through all of your events heading towards your strongest leg (see your icon photo).

So... the best way for you to cope is to remember that, all day, you move closer to your strongest event. 

You always know the right thing to say.  Thanks!
2009-05-28 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2178294

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn

I raced Alcatraz as a pro and EVERY bike was gone when I arrived at T1.

Every pro bike right?  I want to do Alcatraz some day, now I am worried.Surprised
2009-05-29 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
I'm not great at any of the sports, but I have a good sense of them now as far as pacing and ability to go for 30-45 minutes running and swimming and longer biking.  What is the next step? Should I be working some skill drills or any other variation or just work on adding volume when I can? 
2009-05-29 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Assuming you guys use iPods...what are you all listening to at the moment during your training (you too G)?

I used to spend a lot of time on playlists until one day I was out on my MTB and I apparently had added Queen's Another One Bites the Dust to a playlist.  Decided that was bad mojo, so now I just listen to whole albums.  Currently these are my frequently played albums: new Green Day, old The Presidents of the United States, lots of The Hives, and anything Pearl Jam.

2009-05-29 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2178431

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-05-28 10:15 AM
GordoByrn - 2009-05-28 8:41 AM
cjhild - 2009-05-27 5:10 PM
GordoByrn - 2009-05-27 11:55 AM
cjhild - 2009-05-26 5:50 PM G- on my runs I try to not let my HR get above 150.  I have been walking till it is down to around 130.  Should I let it get lower or keep it higher?

Justin,

What is the duration mix between running and walking?

I try for 5:1 but don't keep that going very often.  It takes me about a minute to minute and a half to get the HR down, then anywhere between 3-5 minutes before it is back up to 150.

Where can you get yourself if you are PowerWalking only?

What's your warm-up protocol before you start running?

Thanks!

I have not tried a powerwalk alone yet, I can try it Saturday.

Warm-up:

10-15 min stretch
5 min walk
get into run:walk

I ran early today and it was 70 degrees.  It was WAY easier to keep my HR down, I did not get up to 150 until 35 minutes into the run:walk.

Sounds like you may have figured out how to mitigate... ten min walking to warm-up; avoid excessive heat stress -- combine that with a check on how high you can "walk" your HR.

2009-05-29 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2179629

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-05-28 3:56 PM
GordoByrn

I raced Alcatraz as a pro and EVERY bike was gone when I arrived at T1.

Every pro bike right?  I want to do Alcatraz some day, now I am worried.Surprised

Yep, every elite bike was gone -- there is a HUGE adjustment from being a fast AGer and a decent elite athlete.  I raced alone for years.

The guy behind me in my first tri swim was over 70 years old.  That was a case of being at the back of the entire field.

2009-05-29 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2180794

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
mtntord - 2009-05-29 8:53 AM I'm not great at any of the sports, but I have a good sense of them now as far as pacing and ability to go for 30-45 minutes running and swimming and longer biking.  What is the next step? Should I be working some skill drills or any other variation or just work on adding volume when I can? 

If you post your basic training week then I would be happy to look at your schedule.

2009-05-29 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2181076

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-05-29 10:12 AM Assuming you guys use iPods...what are you all listening to at the moment during your training (you too G)?

I used to spend a lot of time on playlists until one day I was out on my MTB and I apparently had added Queen's Another One Bites the Dust to a playlist.  Decided that was bad mojo, so now I just listen to whole albums.  Currently these are my frequently played albums: new Green Day, old The Presidents of the United States, lots of The Hives, and anything Pearl Jam.

Some songs I like in here --http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/The_musings_of_Gordo_Byrn_169.html

I use music to help get me through challenging main sets.  These days I've been wanting to focus more on stress reduction, creative thought and personal wellness.  So... a lot less music.

At our camps, we exclude iPods from the rides for safety considerations when riding in a group. 

2009-05-29 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Hi G-

Can you stand yet another swimming question?

I spent 90 minutes in the pool with my new tri coach yesterday.  After diddling around with a bunch of other drills, he had me do two things for a very long time 1) he called it press the T and 2) catch up drill.  When I asked him how to incorporate this into swimming, his comment was "this is swimming".    I tried the same thing in OW last night and it didn't seem to work well given waves, etc.  Is it plausible to assume I can keep this up in OW?  I remember you telling me that turnover is higher in OW and I am trying to reconcile the two concepts.

PS. I went back to the pool today and doing the two things above knocked off :25-:30 seconds on my 200 time.  I rarely can do a 200 and did 5 straight.  I am pretty jazzed.

Suzy

2009-05-29 2:21 PM

Expert

Hey everybody - Suzy great news on your swimming. And as a kayaker for races around here I can tell you the last person in on the swim gets a lot of crowd support. And hey it's easy finding your bike in T1 right?

As far as music I went through needing music a whole lot to get me going on the run and keep me going. Now I listen to relatively slow calm music, or podcasts - I think it keeps the HR down. Or nothing - just listen to the birds and my thoughts.

Had a nice ride in the country yesterday, still getting used to the aerobars. Made me think of the one triathlete joke I know:

How can you tell a happy triathlete?

Bugs on their teeth.

G I have some questions about the weeks leading up to my Olympic distance race 6/28 but will have to post them later when I've had some time to gather my thoughts.

Happy weekend all.

2009-05-29 5:21 PM
in reply to: #2181125

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-05-29 11:37 AM Hi G-

I spent 90 minutes in the pool with my new tri coach yesterday.  After diddling around with a bunch of other drills, he had me do two things for a very long time 1) he called it press the T and 2) catch up drill.  When I asked him how to incorporate this into swimming, his comment was "this is swimming".    I tried the same thing in OW last night and it didn't seem to work well given waves, etc.  Is it plausible to assume I can keep this up in OW?  I remember you telling me that turnover is higher in OW and I am trying to reconcile the two concepts.

PS. I went back to the pool today and doing the two things above knocked off :25-:30 seconds on my 200 time.  I rarely can do a 200 and did 5 straight.  I am pretty jazzed.

Suzy

Well the good news is I swam a mile in OW today.  It wasn't always pretty,  but it is behind me and I hope to do it again on Sunday.  I can also say there is no way in hell I could keep catch-up going.  With the waves, I felt like it was more survival than technique!  With all the water I drank I think I weigh 2lbs more!

Suzy
2009-05-29 9:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

G-

I will try the power walk this weekend.  It is always a huge help to hear about your experience early in your career, not that I take comfort in your "misery" but more like "if this elite athlete had these struggles/feelings in the beginning I am not doing so bad."

I would like to have used the internet to help 250,000 people use athletics to positively change their lives.

Make that 249,999.  Thanks for all your help G.

2009-05-30 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2181125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-05-29 10:37 AM Hi G-

Suzy

I'd keep listening to your coach and keep swimming.  You are heading in the right direction.  While it is useful to think, continue to keep it simple and train.  You are getting excellent advice, you're swimming often and you're improving.

All good!

2009-05-30 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2181694

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa

As far as music

I turned off the iPod today on the last half of my run, it was nice to hear the birds.  I enjoy music a lot so training gives me more time to listen to more.  I always figure too that I don't listen at all in the pool, so I make up for it on the bike and run. 

Caught a flat a half mile from home this morning, it was a drag but thankfully I was close to home so I did not have to go with a road change. 

How often do you guys ride with a group?  I have never done it, I would like to try it out sometime but time on the weekends with three little ones is always very limited!

2009-05-30 10:57 PM
in reply to: #2183034

User image

New user
cjhild - 2009-05-30 9:34 AM
BabsVa

As far as music

I turned off the iPod today on the last half of my run, it was nice to hear the birds.  I enjoy music a lot so training gives me more time to listen to more.  I always figure too that I don't listen at all in the pool, so I make up for it on the bike and run. 

Caught a flat a half mile from home this morning, it was a drag but thankfully I was close to home so I did not have to go with a road change. 

How often do you guys ride with a group?  I have never done it, I would like to try it out sometime but time on the weekends with three little ones is always very limited!

I used to ride on Saturdays with a group. but now that I am dialed into a 'lower' Heart Rate, I tend to ride alone.  Keeps me from pushing too hard with a faster group, and especially from letting my competitive side show -- that will really pump the HR up.   Group riding is fun, you just need to mind your roadie manners.  Stay out of the aerobars, communicate and if you can take a pull up front, do so.  If not, no biggie...

I forgot about the iPod question.... I don't wear one when I ride usually (sometimes I will on the canal ~no cars~), sometimes when I run..   usually keep in shuffle mode.  OR, I will listen to something I really like and stay with one band -- some of my favorites -- the Who's Quadrophenia, the Police, Switchfoot, Relient K and maybe some Metallica or Van Halen (all 3 flavors)...
2009-05-30 11:49 PM

User image

Finally got to somewhere I can do a bit of running. Did a short run last night just to see how things feel. It was only 2 miles of running total (walk 3 min, run  a mile, walk 2 min, run a mile then cool down), but it went pretty well. Decided I pretty much have to run landing with a forefoot strike or else it feels like I hyper extend my knee sometimes on landing. Will take a little bit of adjusting and is something I had wanted to work on anyways. I also need new running shoes as these are getting old and aren't designed for a forefoot strike. Made sure to do a lot of stretching after running and I feel fine today. Might try another run tonight, otherwise hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to run again.

2009-05-31 10:35 AM

User image

New user

Ugh.  Tough ride today.  My HR was climbing up fast, so I knew I was dealing with some residual stress...  I had planned to ride 2 hours, but only did 1.5 hours.  My focus became to enjoy the ride, and not be anal about my HR.  SO, I took my HRM off the bars and put it in my jersey pockey. Foot in mouth  Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but I really just wanted to take advantage of a beautiful morning and ride my bike.

Gordo -- is it possible that switching my diet had this effect on my HR?  I started last Sunday to really focus on eating more cleanly -- more paleo style.  Could this be a culprit?  I am thinking that more than likely it was due to having an argument (a pretty emotional one) with someone on Friday... my gut tells me that my body is still dealing with the ill effects of anger.  Don't mean to be too personal on here, but I think the body/mind connection becomes more and more real to me as I age....

Also -- I think I need to add ONE MORE discipline to my training regimen -- learning to relax, quiet the mind and just 'be' -- at least once a day.

Have a great Sunday all!

ken

2009-05-31 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2183863

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
InsertNameHere - 2009-05-30 10:49 PM Finally got to somewhere I can do a bit of running. Did a short run last night just to see how things feel. It was only 2 miles of running total (walk 3 min, run  a mile, walk 2 min, run a mile then cool down), but it went pretty well. Decided I pretty much have to run landing with a forefoot strike or else it feels like I hyper extend my knee sometimes on landing. Will take a little bit of adjusting and is something I had wanted to work on anyways. I also need new running shoes as these are getting old and aren't designed for a forefoot strike. Made sure to do a lot of stretching after running and I feel fine today. Might try another run tonight, otherwise hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to run again.

More than the part of the foot that hits first, try to have your foot strike under your body with a quick cadence -- that should sort out a lot of potential biomechanical issues, such as knee hyperextending.  At first, it is going to feel like baby steps -- that's OK.

Also, you might find that moving to 1 min walk breaks and short run blocks gives you a better session (comfort and fitness) than running until you need 2-3 min of walking to regroup.

Hope this helps,

2009-05-31 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2184200

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-05-31 9:35 AM

Ugh.  Tough ride today.  My HR was climbing up fast, so I knew I was dealing with some residual stress...  I had planned to ride 2 hours, but only did 1.5 hours.  My focus became to enjoy the ride, and not be anal about my HR.  SO, I took my HRM off the bars and put it in my jersey pockey. Foot in mouth  Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but I really just wanted to take advantage of a beautiful morning and ride my bike.

Gordo -- is it possible that switching my diet had this effect on my HR?  I started last Sunday to really focus on eating more cleanly -- more paleo style.  Could this be a culprit?  I am thinking that more than likely it was due to having an argument (a pretty emotional one) with someone on Friday... my gut tells me that my body is still dealing with the ill effects of anger.  Don't mean to be too personal on here, but I think the body/mind connection becomes more and more real to me as I age....

Also -- I think I need to add ONE MORE discipline to my training regimen -- learning to relax, quiet the mind and just 'be' -- at least once a day.

Have a great Sunday all!

ken

Hi Ken,

I doubt eating cleaner will spike your heart rate -- the key things to consider are: hydration, terrain/hills, quick start with no warm-up.

I've worked with athletes in your position before -- you might consider walking for 15-20 min before you get on your bike.  Good warm-up.

When you are wound up there is an element of stress release for exhausting yourself from exercise -- however, this is best achieves from moderate, rather than high intensity, training.  Think about a physical release rather than physical exhaustion - if you can.  You'll be able to tolerate more of that sort of training and it will better serve your stress reduction needs. 

2009-05-31 4:38 PM

Expert

G

So I'm thinking about how to pace, and how to prepare for my first Olympic distance race. I'm psyched to tackle this new distance.
My question is: should I plan on a SBR big day three weeks ahead of my race? If so, should that total workout be continuous 3:30 (that being my estimated total race time - 40 min swim/1 hour 45 bike/1 hour 5 min run. I calculated these finishing times using very conservative paces. Maybe I can do this a little faster). I have one bike ride to date of that duration. And it wasn't really non-stop, either.
Here is a little recent history of my weekly workout total:
SBR weekly hours
4/26   8:00
5/03   8:45
5/10   5:45 (sprint race)
5/17   8:00
5/24   8:45
5/31   10:00
General week:
Alternate hard/easy days
Currently 15 mpw running, long run @ 5 mi 
5 - 6k swimming
2 - 4 hrs biking, 2+ hrs of which is a long weekend ride w/short brick
1 - 2 hrs strength when possible
1 rest day or very easy day (like core work)
Plan for week of:
6/7 10 hrs total; weekend SBR big training day or long bike ride?
6/14 8 hrs
6/21 taper week 6-1/2 hrs
6/28 taper week 2 3-1/3 hrs travel/race
I'd like to finish the race feeling like I'd given it my best effort and looking forward to doing another in a couple months. 
I really appreciate your input!
Barbara

2009-05-31 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2183034

Expert

cjhild - 2009-05-30 12:34 PM 
How often do you guys ride with a group?

I try to ride with a group or at least a buddy on the weekend. There is a bike club that has rides early on weekend mornings, which is usually good for me so I can be home with the kiddos by noon. Totally hear you on life with the little ones being busy.

Group rides can be social and fun and motivating for those times when you need a push. People of all different abilities/paces show up, so there is usually someone to ride with. I *think* it is safer to ride with a group, as long as we break up into smaller groups, so as to allow traffic to easily pass. 

2009-05-31 9:00 PM

User image

Champion
Hope everyone had a good weekend. I swam my first 900y continious today in the pool and could have gone farther.  I was pretty jazzed.  I tried to transition that to the OW tonight, not so jazzed Cry.  Traveling for work through Wednesday, but back at it on Thursday.  My first Olympic is on Sunday!
2009-06-01 4:44 AM
in reply to: #2184317

User image

GordoByrn - 2009-05-31 12:18 PM

More than the part of the foot that hits first, try to have your foot strike under your body with a quick cadence -- that should sort out a lot of potential biomechanical issues, such as knee hyperextending.  At first, it is going to feel like baby steps -- that's OK.

Also, you might find that moving to 1 min walk breaks and short run blocks gives you a better session (comfort and fitness) than running until you need 2-3 min of walking to regroup.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, I'll have to work on that too. I'm not sure how well I can do that running on a treadmill but I'll definitely work on that once I have a decent surface to run on. The terrain here is to bad to really try and run on. I don't think I'd get more than 100M before spraining my ankle or worse.
I'll probably keep any walk breaks to 1 min from now on. I wasn't running at a pace that was requiring me to walk as a rest, but was doing it more just to see how my knee and the rest of my leg felt.

Today is one year since I tore my ACL. Doesn't seem like it's been that long. At the same time I was hoping my knee would be in better shape than it is at this point. Deploying when I did didn't really help with regaining fitness though. Hopefully my knee and the rest of my body will only get stronger from this point.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27