BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-06-24 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2239405

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again!
nevergivin - 2009-06-24 8:04 AM  however the down side is it can become boring.

yeah, like shoot myself in the face, boring!!! i have a very hard time riding the trainer. . it is brutal! some people are ok with it, and i find it is better if i watch TV or movies. . i don't think i've ever road over 2 hrs on it though.

2009-06-24 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2099961

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Laura, the CyclopsII that Stuart is recommending works really well.  The fluid motor is pretty quiet as long as you are using a road tire.  I like to use mine after I put the kids down for the night.  Check ebay for any deals.  I got mine locally on Craigslist for $150.  Good Luck!
2009-06-24 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Need some advice.... Just got a notice that my race has been changed to a deep water start due to low water levels.  Appreciate any tips you might have for me on starting this way.  Also, just checked temps and the water is 56 with morning air in the 40s.  Its going to be cool!
2009-06-24 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2239700

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
brick94513 - 2009-06-24 9:24 AM Need some advice.... Just got a notice that my race has been changed to a deep water start due to low water levels.  Appreciate any tips you might have for me on starting this way.  Also, just checked temps and the water is 56 with morning air in the 40s.  Its going to be cool!

i am guessing you will be using a wetsuit, right?!  that is cold, but definitly doable.  deep water starts are fine, i would rather start in the water then on the beach actually. 
If you are a fast swimmer, start out in the front, if you are decent - then front/middle.  if you are worried about the swim (slower swimmer), just start at the back.  Starting at the back is never a bad idea, as you can wait till the gun fires, wait 5 seconds, and then you don't have to deal with getting hit/kicked etc.  you will probably be treading water for a minute before you start, but with a wetsuit, the flotation is quite good. 

2009-06-24 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2239405

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Stuart and Tim:I've found a bikeshop in my area that sells the CycleOps FLUID II Hometrainer. It's expensive new - 350 US - but there's no shipping or VAT since I can go pick it up (still seems expensive). They also list a silencer mat and a "riser block" as accessories. Do I need the "riser block"? What's it for?I'm going to check our local ebay as well.
2009-06-24 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2240202

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
fleetfeet_ch - 2009-06-24 11:22 AM Stuart and Tim:I've found a bikeshop in my area that sells the CycleOps FLUID II Hometrainer. It's expensive new - 350 US - but there's no shipping or VAT since I can go pick it up (still seems expensive). They also list a silencer mat and a "riser block" as accessories. Do I need the "riser block"? What's it for?I'm going to check our local ebay as well.

the riser block keeps your bike level - if you look at where the back wheel sits, it sits on the roller on the trainer (thus providing some resistance).  you could also use a phone book or something else that is a similar height rather than the riser (i never bought one, as they are $15-20. . ). 

2009-06-24 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2240214

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
You know...there was a time when I could engineer anything. My friends at university called me McGyver . Then I got married and handed all engineering projects to my husband. I wonder how long it will take me to figure out how to set this thing up. It took me 9 years to get rid of the engineer! Hahahahaha Oh, the evil that comes with a glass of Argentinian Malbec....
2009-06-24 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Laura, $350USD is roughly the going rate for a new one.  I would highly encourage you to look for a used one.  There are plenty of used ones out there at a significant price reduction, at least in the US.

Mike, I will definately be wearing a wetsuit!

2009-06-24 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2240202

User image

Modesto, California
fleetfeet_ch - 2009-06-24 11:22 AM Stuart and Tim:I've found a bikeshop in my area that sells the CycleOps FLUID II Hometrainer. It's expensive new - 350 US - but there's no shipping or VAT since I can go pick it up (still seems expensive). They also list a silencer mat and a "riser block" as accessories. Do I need the "riser block"? What's it for?I'm going to check our local ebay as well.

They are expensive but worth the money, compared to others, as Mike said use a phone book, definately put something under such as a towel to protect from chain oil and HUGE PUDDLES. No need for a special mat.
2009-06-24 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2239700

User image

Modesto, California
brick94513 - 2009-06-24 9:24 AM Need some advice.... Just got a notice that my race has been changed to a deep water start due to low water levels.  Appreciate any tips you might have for me on starting this way.  Also, just checked temps and the water is 56 with morning air in the 40s.  Its going to be cool!

Wow, thats cold! Deep water starts are no big deal, you will just bob up and down until the gun goes off. Just remember that everyone bunches up and goes from vertical to horizontal with no space, try to stay off the pack to avoid getting clubbed.
2009-06-25 3:21 AM
in reply to: #2241403

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Having a DISMAL training week!  I can't seem to get out there or find the time.  How much push do I lose when I have a week like this?  I feel like I need to be out there daily in order to survive a sprint, but others tell me that I'll be ready.  Any advice on how to survive the plateau weeks where you see little to no improvement?

2009-06-25 8:47 AM

Regular
NY
Got back from my trip yesterday. Im so tired from the travel/time change. Had fun though! Hoping to get back into it by this weekend. Feels like my race is coming up so fast.
2009-06-25 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2241622

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
fleetfeet_ch - 2009-06-25 1:21 AM Having a DISMAL training week!  I can't seem to get out there or find the time.  How much push do I lose when I have a week like this?  I feel like I need to be out there daily in order to survive a sprint, but others tell me that I'll be ready.  Any advice on how to survive the plateau weeks where you see little to no improvement?

even though it seems like you lose fitness if you don't workout much for a few days - in reality, you don't.  think about how long it takes to improve and how long it takes to get your fitness to be dramatically different.  losing fitness is similar!  finding time can be tough, but if you can get in a 20-30 min run or whatever sometime, it sure makes me feel better.  i know this has been a struggle for me, is living life and trying not to let all this tri stuff interefere too much, but it does. . and sometimes i bag workouts in the interest of keeping my relationships alive and choose to do other stuff.  missing workouts here and there or having an off week is totally understandable and happens to everyone.  the difference between those who succeed and those who don't, is those who succeed step back up and get back at it .  . . same as everything in life i  suppose
2009-06-25 11:18 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Well, wish me luck.  I'm leaving for Tahoe in the morning.  Really looking forward to the race!  Just a liitle worried about acclimating to the altitude.  It would of been nice to get up there a little sooner.  Regardless, five days in Tahoe without our kids, will be a wonderful vacation.  My wife and I are planning on all kinds of mtb riding and hiking.  Talk to everyone next week.
2009-06-25 11:27 PM
in reply to: #2244245

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
brick94513 - 2009-06-25 9:18 PM Well, wish me luck.  I'm leaving for Tahoe in the morning.  Really looking forward to the race!  Just a liitle worried about acclimating to the altitude.  It would of been nice to get up there a little sooner.  Regardless, five days in Tahoe without our kids, will be a wonderful vacation.  My wife and I are planning on all kinds of mtb riding and hiking.  Talk to everyone next week.

good luck and have a great time!!!
2009-06-26 2:53 AM
in reply to: #2244245

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Good luck and have a great time.  Haven't been to Tahoe since 1996, but I have very fond memories.  Enjoy!

2009-06-26 3:16 AM
in reply to: #2244349

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Nothing like biking in the morning sun, around a Swiss lake, mountains in the background and along comes a little Swiss man, socks and sandels pumping along, transistor radio balanced on his handle bars, playing a little "huta-fluta" music.  You gotta love these cultural things.

Now to the serious stuff - namely bike questions again.  I did my usual 20k today, which turned out to be 18.4 after I took a wrong turn...  I was trying to keep my cadence higher and more regular and discovered that I was actually going 2 km/hour SLOWER than normal.  I was pedaling like crazy but going nowhere fast, that's for sure. 

Can you guys give me some tips on gears and gear changing so that I can actually improve my speed without killing my legs?  I just don't get the idea of spinning because I seem to go nowhere when I have the gear low (or high?) enough to pedal faster.  And...I notice that I'm bouncing a bit in my saddle when I'm "spinning".  That doesn't seem right.

2009-06-26 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2244351

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
fleetfeet_ch - 2009-06-26 1:16 AM Nothing like biking in the morning sun, around a Swiss lake, mountains in the background and along comes a little Swiss man, socks and sandels pumping along, transistor radio balanced on his handle bars, playing a little "huta-fluta" music.  You gotta love these cultural things.

Now to the serious stuff - namely bike questions again.  I did my usual 20k today, which turned out to be 18.4 after I took a wrong turn...  I was trying to keep my cadence higher and more regular and discovered that I was actually going 2 km/hour SLOWER than normal.  I was pedaling like crazy but going nowhere fast, that's for sure. 

Can you guys give me some tips on gears and gear changing so that I can actually improve my speed without killing my legs?  I just don't get the idea of spinning because I seem to go nowhere when I have the gear low (or high?) enough to pedal faster.  And...I notice that I'm bouncing a bit in my saddle when I'm "spinning".  That doesn't seem right.

sounds like you discovered high cadence   bouncing on your seat suggests that you were pushing 110+ RPM's.  Everyone says to be around 90 rpm's for the most efficient ride - so you don't smoke your legs before you run.  It will probably just take some practice to feel a spot where you can still push and not spin out, but your legs are comfortably spinning at a fast cadence.  If in doubt, don't over think it and just ride where it feels comfortable and fast
2009-06-26 11:43 AM

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
So...I was pedaling too fast in too low/high a gear and not going anywhere?  Do I have that right?  BTW, which are the high gears, which are the low?  Is it more effective to change the big gears or the small?  Sorry if these are stupid questions.  I've never ridden a bike for anything other than pleasure and I have 21 gears to deal with without knowing how to use them.

2009-06-28 4:48 AM

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Happy Sunday everyone!  The sun is out, the temps are perfect and I just had a GREAT workout this morning.  49 mins on the bike and 1 hour on a run.  Not technically a brick since there was a 45 min break between the two while I waited for my running partner to get motivated, but a great workout nonetheless. I hope you all have a great training day as well.
2009-06-28 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
good job laura!  in regards to gearing:

i think it kind of switches between road biking and mtn biking how we talk about gearing - but for my purposes, i refer to a high gear as something that you can push with high cadence, low gear = low cadence (harder).  i know with mtn biking (read - while actually biking on a mtn, not just riding a mtn  bike), i have refered to it the opposite way. 

2009-06-30 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
what is everyone up to this week?
2009-06-30 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2253020

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
According to my 13-week training plan, I should be having a light week and a week off next week.  But, I'm going to train next week and take the following week off while I'm in Austria on holiday.  I'm not really paying attention to time this week as much as I am to form and technique.  My swimming is more consistently freestyle, but still go very slowly.  I haven't been able to get in the open water yet, but am hoping to try that next week.  I've done no strength training in 3 weeks and might try to get that back into my routine this week.  We'll see.

Signed up for my 2nd tri in September and will put a little 10k or 1/2 marathon in mid-Sept.
2009-06-30 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
As luck would have it, tomorrow there's an open water swim (1450 meters) across the Zurich Lake (Zurichsee), so I'm going to do it.  If you want to see where I live and last year's swim, check out this link:

http://www.seeueberquerung.ch/content/home.php

and click on the Video Seeueberguerung link near the bottom of the page

Never, in 10 years of living here, have I swum across the lake!  If you don't hear from me tomorrow night, send out the coast guard!!Surprised

2009-06-30 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2253930

User image

Modesto, California
fleetfeet_ch - 2009-06-30 1:07 PM As luck would have it, tomorrow there's an open water swim (1450 meters) across the Zurich Lake (Zurichsee), so I'm going to do it.  If you want to see where I live and last year's swim, check out this link:

http://www.seeueberquerung.ch/content/home.php

and click on the Video Seeueberguerung link near the bottom of the page

Never, in 10 years of living here, have I swum across the lake!  If you don't hear from me tomorrow night, send out the coast guard!!Surprised

Thanks for the link location, all I could read were the numbers. Funny video, most people appear to be doing breastroke. Not sure what they were serving up, was that soup?
Have a great swim!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  

of 19