BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-04-21 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again!
NAME: ultrahip_00  - Mike

STORY: I am a 22 year old who has been doing triathlons for almost two years.  I graduated college last May (almost 1 year already!), and work as a Sales Engineer in the Seattle Area.  I am from Idaho, and went to school out there.  I got started in Tri's by living with a guy who was doing IM-CDA while I was doing an internship and I decided to give it a shot!  My parents have always been active w/biking and backpacking and stuff, so it wasn't too far of a stretch for me to get started.  I signed up for my first triathlon and completed it about 2 months after i started training!  Since then, i have done 7 triathlons (5 sprint, 2 OLY's), 3 half marathons and several other running races

FAMILY STATUS: I have a wonderful girlfriend who is attending grad school in Oregon - about 4.5 hrs away.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have historically trained on my own and usually right around 8-10 hours per week.  I have tended to focus on one sport more than the other two for a period of time (last summer, i biked a lot, all fall/winter, i ran a lot).  Now, I am working with a coach so I am a lot more balanced and putting in a lot more time!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year is the half-iron year!  So far, i have done two half marathons - setting a PR with 1:26:07 and one sprint race (last weekend!).  I am doing Boise 70.3 in June, Lake Stevens 70.3 in August and (Hopefully) Clearwater in November. 

2009 RACES:  I suppose I hit this in the last section!  My goal for the year is to qualify for the 70.3 World Championships in Clearwater, FL while at Boise.  I figure I will need a 4:40 or so to even have a shot! 

WEIGHTLOSS: During my first couple years, i have lost about 20 lbs - that would be weight gained in college via beer and food   I didn't focus on weight loss too much, just tried to eat healthy and workout!. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been in the sport long enough to get an idea about training and how everything works.  I am still learning about periodization and tapering - as I have never really focused on that before.  I also have had some good results so far, and I think I can share some strategies that have worked for me in regards to overcoming nagging injuries, turning a weakness into a strength and improving your times, all while having fun!  I try to always have fun with my training because that is why we do this, right?!  I also want to network some and get to know some new people!

Edited by ultrahip_00 2009-06-03 9:41 AM

2009-04-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2099961

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Open
you know you want to join  

Copy/Paste from the first post and enter your info!  looking for 5 or 6 people that want to improve this year!
2009-04-22 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Hey mike, I'd be interested in joining your group.

NAME: brick94513 -- Tim

STORY: I am a 37 yer old from Northern California.  I work as a firefighter-paramedic in Santa Cruz.  This year, another fellow from work convinced me to compete in the Xterra triathlon at Lake Tahoe.  My strength is definately in XC MTB riding.  Swimming is my weakest point with running falling in the middle.  My interest definately lies in the off-road style of triathlon racing.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married with three boys, ages 8, 5, and 3.  Oh, and a one year old rat terrier-pointer mix.

CURRENT TRAINING: I would say I'm currently training around ten hours a week.  While I've been swimming three days a week, the bulk of my time remains in cycling.  I usually combine running with one of the other disciplines.  Also, I have been using crossfit workout rountines at work.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Just returned home from the Sea Otter Classic where I raced in the XC event.  As for the rest of the year, I have the tri at Tahoe, tentatively another Xterra tri in August, a four-stage XC endurance race in Brianhead, UT, and another XC MTB race in September.

2009 RACES:  Just want to successfully complete my first tri and remain injury free for the year.

WEIGHTLOSS: None.  Actually, trying to not to lose weight!  

2009-04-22 12:11 PM

NAME: flower987 - Ginger

STORY: I am a 46 year old and did my first sprint last Sunday.  I began training for a tri in January when I had met my then current fitness goals. (weight loss and tone up).  My fitness trainer made the suggestion, and I decided why not? 

FAMILY STATUS:
2 teenagers, who think Mom has lost her mind!!

CURRENT TRAINING: I currently follow a 1/2 IM schedule with modifications to the swim, my weakest area.  I am taking a weekly tri class which has helped with stroke analysis.  I train alone around 8-10 hours per week and stay self motivated, for the most part.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I just did my first sprint and have several more tenatively scheduled.  My goal is an olympic in mid-July. 

2009 RACES:
  See above

WEIGHTLOSS: Trying to maintain weight, improve body fat % (currently 20%), build muscle and continue to eat clean.

Looking to improve and learn from others.  Meeting others with like interests is the great side benefit!
2009-04-22 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Ginger and Tim:  Welcome!!

Tim, I also started w/o a swimming background - in fact, my first sprint was esentually survival for the 1/2 mile open water swim, and it was tough!  what is cool about swimming is that you can do it 4 times  a week w/o worrying about injury, since is is easy on your body compared to running. 
2009-04-22 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Alright so what is on tap for today? 

Any S/B/R going on?

If you are reading this. . . THEN JOIN!

2009-04-22 9:44 PM

Hello All!

I am definitely the beginner here, but this mentor group seems like a great idea, so I would like to join!

NAME: Laurel

STORY: I am a 27 year-old RN working in newborn intensive care....and I finished graduate school yesterday (to be a neonatal nurse practitioner)!! Let's just say, working full time as a RN, plus classes, clinical hours for school and writing my thesis took a toll on my body! My clothes are all snug and my muscles feel atrophied! I have, in years past, done a good bit of cycling and some running, but I have not exercised regularly for a long while. About a month ago I decided that as soon as I finished school, I would start training for a sprint distance tri and I am so, so excited that I get to focus on myself and my health now!!

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 3 years to my wonderful husband. I actually got him into cycling a couple years ago...and he has since completely changed his lifestyle and is now a super fit and dedicated road racer. He is my biggest cheerleader going into this training!

CURRENT TRAINING: Today was my first day of the Couch to 5k plan...it was so great to get outside and move!! I plan to start adding in some cycling in about a week and a half and to do an adult swim (beginner/intermediate level) class starting at the beginning of May to introduce myself to the pool! 

THIS YEAR'S RACE: I know I am giving myself a lot of time to prepare, but I plan on making the Tri Girl Tri (October 3rd) my first race. It looks like a fun, all female (less intimidating for some of us) sprint distance in a great location.

WEIGHT LOSS: Yes, please! ;-) I am about 10 lbs heavier than I was when I met my husband 4 and a half years ago. I want my little body back!!

Thanks for reading! I am looking forward to this journey!!

2009-04-22 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Hey Laurel -- Welcome to BT!! This is a great place to learn a ton about the sport and get some advice/encouragement/motivation!  Congrats on grad school and the couch to 5k! 

One great way that i found to get motivated was through the logs here on  BT.  If you click 'Training log' up on the top bar, you can go to your log and keep track of your workouts.  this allows you to see how far to have came and keep track of milage etc. .

thanks for joining us!
2009-04-23 12:37 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Mike - how are we logging our training for our group to see?  Today, I went back-to-back with swim and MTB.  750m swim and 20 mile cycle.  Swim was my best yet, but did see my SPL increase and form break down toward the end.

2009-04-23 3:39 AM

Hey everybody,

my name is Albert, I am nineteen years old and come from Austria.

I have just started my triathlon training 2 weeks ago from being a couch potato for about 1 year and only doing relatively little since the age of 15. I am actually a very sporty person but I had to concentrate on school during my graduation year and there was not much time for anything else.

Before the age of 15 I was a swimmer for about 4 years in which I built up my skill and stamina to quite a high level. I have won many state and regional titles in my age group as well as the overall rating. My best style was back stroke (100M and 200M) as well as middle distance freestyle (100, 200 and 400M freestyle). Unfortunately at the age of 15 I was diagnosed with a disorder which was caused by unsymmetrical growth of the shoulder joint and the strain on it because of training (6-7 times a week in the water + 3 times strength training) damaged the shoulder greatly. As I guess many of you can imagine that was quite a setback. I actually never went to the pool for about 1,5 years and didn’t go to any competitions to watch my sister who was as good a  swimmer as I was because I couldn’t cope with not being allowed to swim myself.

I was in pain constantly for the duration of about 1 year and had to take medication. During this period I experienced problems with my blood circulation and blood pressure. Unfortunately this is what happens when an athletes heart gets deprived of its beloved sport… harm is done physically and emotionally.

Now I have decided that its enough with the lazyness and I want to challenge my body again. Maybe I will not reach the level of achievement I did when I was a swimmer but that doesn’t matter to me anymore. This time around its not me against others but its me against myself.

My ultimate aim is to complete a full iron man! This year I will start with a short distance (700M / 20KM / 5KM) triathlon together with a friend. Since I know quite a lot about swimming training and sports nutrition I will not be joining a club for now but want to do these first steps on my own.

My first improvements are coming along relatively quickly. These are small steps but I am happy about every little one of them. If you want to know more then please check my training log.

My biggest worry is that my shoulder cannot handle the training. This is why for the beginning I will be spending a lot of time on a bike or running more than swimming while slowly building up the muscles in the shoulder and arms to ensure that the joint is more stable. Plus I don’t think that the swimming will be the hard part of the triathlon for me. I think the toughest for me will be the biking that’s why I will be concentrating on that slightly more than the other sports.

Im sorry, that turned into quite an essay but I hope you will take me into your group and I’d love to share my experiences with other people and receive guidance from those that have gone the same path that I have set my eyes on now.

Maybe I can even help a little with the swimming workouts since that is my specialty.

<-->

2009-04-23 8:53 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Hi Mike, I would like to join if its ok with you.

NAME: nevergivin-Stuart

STORY: I am a 42 year old who has been doing triathlons for 3 years. During races often I start off good only to have the field pass me by the time I finish.  I started training after quiting smoking, I smoked for almost 24 years. Now I'm trying to make up for all of those years. I love to swim and was competitive on summer and winter teams for almost 8 years. I do not have a history in training for running or biking.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married and have one kindergarten daughter that I try to expose to all my training. They are cool with all of my training,they just can't stand to get up early for my races!

CURRENT TRAINING: I am self coached with mixed results, however I belong to a bike,run,swim & a tri club.  The swim leg I enjoy, despite freestyle being my slowest of all competitive strokes. I belong to a masters swim program and also compete in meets with good results. I have struggled with my run training and common related runner injuries such as runners knee,lower back,ITB. I joined a local run club and found I get very little help regarding form or training, but I do enjoy the company when I can join in on longer runs. I started to make great progress running in my latest off season just pushing really hard, only to get injured upon starting this years 1/2 im training program. I do like to bike also with a bike club I belong to, just not nearly as fast as most of the people I race, I have spent allot of time doing hill training, for me it still has not translated into increased speed ,although I am a much better climber now. For Biking and running I do not do much interval or speed training, for running I try to maintain form and get my milage in, for biking I do my training route or get in a group ride.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have a 1/2 im in two weeks and a full in 11, with a bunch misc individual stuff between and after.

WEIGHTLOSS: This is not a priority, although I have lost 45 pounds in the three years doing tris, I am more concerned about eating better foods that will help more with training and recovery. 

I am looking for a mentor group with athletes that can run and can help me understand what I should be looking for in a structured training program, how to track results, how to look for improvements and how to properly tweak a program. Most importantly I do enjoy the comraderie,discussion and motivation. Thanks, Stuart.

2009-04-23 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Welcome Stuart and Albert - Glad to have you here as well!

Albert - I look forward to hearing more about your swimming!  It sucks that you have had to stop due to injury, but i am excited that you are getting into triathlons! especially so young - with that swim background you will smoke the competition out of the water. .
And coming from a competitive background - think of this:  In triathlon, you only have to be OK or pretty good at all three sports to do very well overall!! it;s not like running races where you have to be able to hold low 6 min/miles to be competitive (or lower!) or swimming where you have to swim 1 min/100 yds.  .

It looks like a lot of people (including myself) will benefit from your knowledge of swimming!

Stuart - i totally hear you about starting strong and then getting passed that is my downfall do - i go out hard, and hold on!  this not only isn't very effective, but it is tough mentally as well, because you get passed by a bunch of people.  Pacing is one of my goals as well this year - i'll let you know if i figure it out and vice versa!

I recommend that everyone uses their training logs on this site to log the workouts.  this not only helps others because they can see what you do - but it helps motivate YOU!  What i noticed after logging for about a month is i would look at my totals for the month and look at all the empty boxes on the calender and think 'wow, what am i doing!?' It helps hold you accountable and makes you want to put in more volume, which is great!

What is everyone doing today?  i swam 3000 this morning and i have a run workout tonight - supposed to be fast, tempo stuff, we will see if my legs allow it
2009-04-23 10:14 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Masters swim tonight for around 3000yrds, its equipment day so I will be doing lots of timed pull and kick sets.

2009-04-23 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2105222

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
nevergivin - 2009-04-23 8:14 AM

Masters swim tonight for around 3000yrds, its equipment day so I will be doing lots of timed pull and kick sets.

Nice!! kicks are so tough - i always avoided using the kick board because i sucked bad at it, but i have been doing it about twice/week now for 200 or so, and i am improving. . it is still hard, but seems like it is very beneficial.  so you are doing wildflower?! that looks like a fun race!  have you done a HIM before?
2009-04-23 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2105429

User image

Modesto, California

ultrahip_00 - 2009-04-23 9:07 AM
nevergivin - 2009-04-23 8:14 AM

Nice!! kicks are so tough - i always avoided using the kick board because i sucked bad at it, but i have been doing it about twice/week now for 200 or so, and i am improving. . it is still hard, but seems like it is very beneficial.  so you are doing wildflower?! that looks like a fun race!  have you done a HIM before?

I have done a half (Oceanside 70.3), it was a struggle for me because I had to eliminate my run training to heal my IT band twards the middle of my tri program, then try to build it back up again , I ran out of time building back up and my longest run was only 4 miles, I did the race anyway.

Wildflower is an awesome race, I have continued to build milage since my half three weeks ago at a moderate pace. I have lost much speed also, but my runs are pain free.

I have to wear fins doing kick drills, my body will not move one inch without them. I am getting ready to do an experiment and will probably submit another BT article on foot flexibility and how it relates to a better freestyle kick and improved times. I will post up pics of my feet and you will see how aweful my flexibility is, where it needs to be, and updates as I start to use the rack I just purchased, yes it is a torture tool, but I know three coaches that swear by it and I am determined to improve my kick.

2009-04-23 10:54 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
How was everybody's day? what is going on with all yall? we need to get this Thread MOVIN!

2009-04-24 12:58 AM

Last night it was a bit cold and the weather wasnt really inviting to go outside so i decided to do my running workout in the gym close to my house. Packed all my stuff together and started running at about 8 Km/h. I aimed at around 30 minutes workout and not too intense so I could do some biking today.
Unfortunately, as pretty much all swimmers I am an atrociously bad runner simply because I spent years moving in water rather than jogging. But luckily even though my skill isnt very good I found motivation in the challenge and found out that I quite like running. Up until the point where I was demotivated by the woman next to me running 10.5 km/h at pulse of around 130... :-(. With me there struggling with my 8km/h it got me a bit demotivated for a few minutes. But I pushed through that and thought to myself that I just started and that in a month Ill probably laugh about the running that I'm doing now. Ultimately experiences like that just make me want to be better even more rather than getting depressed by how good others are I strive to be as good as them or better. I just always have to watch out that I dont overdo it coming from a state of fitness in which one can do pretty much anything to the body without harming it I have to take care that I dont slide into an overtraining stage now that I am so unfit relative to my time as a swimmer.

This morning getting up was a bit tough since I only got around 6 hours of sleep. The legs ache a bit coming up the stairs to the office but I feel its more a feeling of accomplishment and a reason to go on to do my bike workout today rather than a fatigued feeling.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I would just like to comment briefly on the kick drills that you guys talked about. In case you have any questions after then I'd be glad to go into detail. On the other hand I really do not want to seem like an annoying teacher or offend anybody that is why I ask you, if you are interested in my opinion on the swim workout or special drills just to ask me to go into detail if i have briefly commented on it or just ask questions which interest you. If I know the answer I will be happy to help.

Kicking drills are only a tiny component of a swim training. Kicking accounts for about 10-15% of your total speed. Especially in a triathlon I'm guessing everyone is searching for the method to get through the water distance relatively lightly without tiring out your body especially the legs. The only real advantage your legs bring is that they improve the way you lie in the water the kick pushes your body higher up in the water which allows for less resistance. Yet, this position change is so minimal that tiring out your legs is not the best way to achieve it... there are others. If you want to I can look for some old workouts I have lying around at home which can be done easily in a few minutes daily or every second day at home which really improve body tension. This tension in your body together with some nice technical swim drills will do the same job that your legs would have done in way less time and without the effort of having to kick hard through your entire triathlon swim.

If you wish to know more then please tell me and I will go into detail further with some specific workouts.
2009-04-24 7:07 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Thanks Albert,  I am trying to improve my kick for my backstroke and freestyle and butterfly. When I swim a triathlon I use a 2 beat kick if that only to anchor my rotation, and because my kick is minimal I do not focus on too much leg strength drills other than wearing my fins for added resistance, races are not my concern or are kicking drills. My problem is when I do not wear fins, I can kick for days only to go about 5 feet. While propulsion may be low for freestyle, fast swimmers at my pool have an awesome kick and I will get lapped in everything except breastroke. I do not lack the leg strength, I lack the flexibility I need for forward propulsion, I am trying to become finless. This is what I am trying to achieve.

Right now I am not even close to this, my foot is almost the opposite, when I was younger this was me and I could zipp down the pool.

2009-04-24 7:10 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Mike , I'm interested in what type of interval training you do on the bike, your bike speed is impressive also!

Edited by nevergivin 2009-04-24 7:12 AM
2009-04-24 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Thanks for the info Albert!  that is good that kicking won't help me speed up a lot, because it sure is a lot of work!  any tips you have to make me faster is definitly encouraged.  Great job getting out there and running too! don't worry about other people's speed/effort while running.  you have a great perspective in that you are OK knowing that you are just starting out running. 

It is all relative - what is 'fast' for one person may be a turtle's speed for another. . especially while you are beginning.  I started out running 2 miles at a time, and running 9 min miles. . and i was around that point for months!!  now, i am much faster, but i have ran a lot more. 

As far as my bike intervals - i actually just started doing these once i started working with a coach.  the intervals vary but typically are something like this - 20 min WU - high cadence, spinning and warming up.  Then for the intervals, it'll be something like 10k, or 18 mins, or 7 mins, depending on intensity, and i will push at atleast 75% HR - which for me, is around 160.  i determined HR by doing  a 30 min all out effort when i was well rested and ended up with a HR of 181 on the bike - which is my 85% benchmark. 

i typically do 3-4 intervals, with between one to three minutes rest between.  these are a great way to put some structure into your biking and make the time pass quick!  however, the HR levels - you need to figure out what yours are to follow what i did, since it is different for everyone.
2009-04-24 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2107364

User image

Modesto, California

ultrahip_00 - 2009-04-24 5:43 AM Thanks for the info Albert!  that is good that kicking won't help me speed up a lot, because it sure is a lot of work!  any tips you have to make me faster is definitly encouraged.  Great job getting out there and running too! don't worry about other people's speed/effort while running.  you have a great perspective in that you are OK knowing that you are just starting out running. 

It is all relative - what is 'fast' for one person may be a turtle's speed for another. . especially while you are beginning.  I started out running 2 miles at a time, and running 9 min miles. . and i was around that point for months!!  now, i am much faster, but i have ran a lot more. 

As far as my bike intervals - i actually just started doing these once i started working with a coach.  the intervals vary but typically are something like this - 20 min WU - high cadence, spinning and warming up.  Then for the intervals, it'll be something like 10k, or 18 mins, or 7 mins, depending on intensity, and i will push at atleast 75% HR - which for me, is around 160.  i determined HR by doing  a 30 min all out effort when i was well rested and ended up with a HR of 181 on the bike - which is my 85% benchmark. 

i typically do 3-4 intervals, with between one to three minutes rest between.  these are a great way to put some structure into your biking and make the time pass quick!  however, the HR levels - you need to figure out what yours are to follow what i did, since it is different for everyone.

I asked because I read an article yesterday and it explained the key things about interval training for speed, what I took from it is that rest period is just as important as interval for consistant effort. Are you doing intervals within a workout, or is the entire workout intervals?

I do a heart rate test monthly, I cheat and use my spinerval DVD, it walks me through everything so that I can focus on intensity and readings. I am planning on a decent speed gain this year as I plan to up my milage to 150-200 a month for my IM this year.The article I read also discussed power and speed intervals(big gear vs. High cad/speed), does your coach have you mix the two or do one month/week doing one and switch or does it just depend on when your race is(more speed or race pace as you get closer to a race,etc.)?

2009-04-24 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2107515

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
nevergivin - 2009-04-24 6:39 AM

I am planning on a decent speed gain this year as I plan to up my milage to 150-200 a month for my IM this year.The article I read also discussed power and speed intervals(big gear vs. High cad/speed), does your coach have you mix the two or do one month/week doing one and switch or does it just depend on when your race is(more speed or race pace as you get closer to a race,etc.)?

well, all my training right now is focused on Boise 70.3 on June 13th.  Yes, some of the intervals are big gear - pushing low cadence, some are high gears, spinning fast.  Typically it is something like this - tuesday - fast intervals -this week i did 7 minute intervals, trying to keep my HR up near that 85%. . i couldn't get to 85% though due to leg fatigue from last week/this week. . but i was close.  Wends. . i do a longer ride, more at a 75% effort - this week was 2 x 20 mins at 75%. . it sounds easy, but keeping my HR up around 160 can be tough with a slight downhill or on the flats!

as far as your biking. . 150-200 miles/month for IM?  i would suspect it should be more like that per week. . . more in the 500-700 miles per month for the couple BIG months. . but again, it all depends on your base/goals/how you approach those miles. 
2009-04-24 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2107515

User image

Modesto, California

nevergivin - 2009-04-24 6:39 AM

ultrahip_00 - 2009-04-24 5:43 AM Thanks for the info Albert!  that is good that kicking won't help me speed up a lot, because it sure is a lot of work!  any tips you have to make me faster is definitly encouraged.  Great job getting out there and running too! don't worry about other people's speed/effort while running.  you have a great perspective in that you are OK knowing that you are just starting out running. 

I asked because I read an article yesterday and it explained the key things about interval training for speed, what I took from it is that rest period is just as important as interval for consistant effort. Are you doing intervals within a workout, or is the entire workout intervals?

I do a heart rate test monthly, I cheat and use my spinerval DVD, it walks me through everything so that I can focus on intensity and readings. I am planning on a decent speed gain this year as I plan to up my milage to 150-200 a month week (oops)for my IM this year.The article I read also discussed power and speed intervals(big gear vs. High cad/speed), does your coach have you mix the two or do one month/week doing one and switch or does it just depend on when your race is(more speed or race pace as you get closer to a race,etc.)?

I am setting up my IM program next week while I'm on vacation, it looks as though my goals will be increase bike speed(bike course at vineman is fairly flat), increase run milage, strength train and yoga twice weekly(injury prevention and recovery). Swim 4 times a week(avg 13000yrds), train for heat. I start May 11 and I should have it all written in my planned log by then so you can check it out.

2009-04-24 10:35 PM

New user

HI Mike!  and everyone!

I'm hoping I can join your group.

NAME:
janesready

STORY: I am a 25 year old Sonographer/Massage Therapist who has always been involved with sports as in basketball and gymnastics. When I finished with the college scene. I started to think what can I do to stay in shape and help out people? Then I heard about the
Leukemia foundation that does events to raise money for the cure of Leukemia.  I always got mail from the Leukemia foundation to do a tri and even went to a meeting, But never joined. So, last year I told one of my good friends to do one with me. She ended up doing it by herself because I put the excuse that I didnt know how to swim, and  couldnt find anyone to do the swiming part. Also I wasnt finanicially set for lessons. Because of my lack of motivation and confidence to learn to swim, I kicked myself in the butt when i cheered  for my friend when we were suppose to be doing our first tri together. I even did 3 5K runs in spring and early summer last year.  Didnt do it because I didnt know how to swim. Not to mention bought a used road bike. Finally this year, I just started taking my 3 lesson for swiming and am determined to do a tri this year!!! Laughingi have 3 months and a week to do it.......ya think i still have enough time?

FAMILY STATUS: Im single and have no kids. Not for awhile still having fun and doing me Smile My family is in North Jersey.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been practicing my swiming for about 3 weeks so far,  and currently taking lessons. Not use to the breathing part yet. Its been difficult.....  Ive been running about 3-4 times a week on a tred mill. I havent cycled just yet. Having difficulty with finding how much time and effort I should spend on each section.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This Year I WILL do the She Rox Tri in Philadelphia. The one i was suppose to do with my friend last year. This year I will accompany her. At least 2 5K's and I want to do a biathlon to warm up for the tri in August.

2009 RACES:  My goal is to just finish all the races that I sign up for.

WEIGHTLOSS: More or less tone up and get ready for a wedding that I'll be in 5 weeks....lol

Im hoping there is still room in your group for me, and you are willing to help me out. Im sure any advice would be great since I'm such a newbian... Looking forward on hearing from you Mike! Thanks !
2009-04-25 1:03 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Hey Janesready! thanks for joining! i think you have plenty of time to get ready for the tri, especially since you have already done several 5k's and are doing swimming lessons!  i had about 7 weeks from when i decided to do my first sprint until the race, and i could swim maaaybe 50 yds w/o stopping, so i hear you on the swimming. 

taking some lessons will help a ton - and just make sure to get in the pool 3-4 times a week, even if it is just for a short amount of time. 

Also, WELCOME TO BT!!! this place is great - a great way to learn a lot about the sport, and get questions answered.   I recommend (as you can see ) using the free logs to log your workouts, it is very very helpful.
have a great weekend!

what is on tap for everyone for Saturday?  a big workout, i presume?!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  

of 19