BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-27 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2636337

User image

kelowna
Subject: RE: nevergivin's group (Closed)
Panther - 2010-01-26 6:15 PM
ThePassionDiva - 2010-01-26 7:12 PM

There is something in Multis that make me ill - so I stick to the singles that I need. Maybe I'll try some other brands, I typically don't do the drug store brands.

This comment has really been bugging me.  Only because I had the exact same reaction a few years back.

Try this... take a high quality multi one day and see if it gives you the sick feeling.  If it does, take it the next day with orange juice or eat an apple or orange immediately after taking it. 

You see, I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be slightly hypoglycemic.  The amino acids in the multi are proteins that will mess with your blood sugar unless you balance them with a carb.  Try it.  I may be way off here, but I think I may be right.  Let me know how it goes...

i'll give it a try thanks!

2010-01-27 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2637438

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
bigr82 - 2010-01-27 12:07 PM What is a good brand of sock to purchase/wear?  I would assume something small & thin.  I think my asics are easier with elastic laces to get into that my zoots.

I just bought my first pair of asics about 3 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago I picked up a box of Under Armour socks.  They are the shorty ones and honestly, I love the combination.  And the UA socks weren't all that expensive either.  Super cussioned and I thought they felt strange at first as I had never worn shorty socks before, but they are great!
2010-01-27 8:20 PM

User image

Modesto, California
bigr82 - 2010-01-27 9:07 AM What is a good brand of sock to purchase/wear?  I would assume something small & thin.  I think my asics are easier with elastic laces to get into that my zoots.

Balegas are the best.

Edited by nevergivin 2010-01-27 8:36 PM
2010-01-27 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2638603

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2010-01-27 4:17 PM
bigr82 - 2010-01-27 12:07 PM What is a good brand of sock to purchase/wear?  I would assume something small & thin.  I think my asics are easier with elastic laces to get into that my zoots.

I just bought my first pair of asics about 3 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago I picked up a box of Under Armour socks.  They are the shorty ones and honestly, I love the combination.  And the UA socks weren't all that expensive either.  Super cussioned and I thought they felt strange at first as I had never worn shorty socks before, but they are great!

I do like asics too, what I like about Balega is they last, they are more comfortable than any sock, they will last forever, best feature is they way they wick moisture. I have several pairs with different thickness and they feel just as comfortable as the first day I put them on.
2010-01-28 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

For long runs?  Thorlos are my favorite.  I go with the ankle-length ones.  The shorties tend to slip and expose the back of my ankle to my shoe, causing blisters.

For tri I like Sock Guy.  Thin enough for biking, thick enough for running, and quick-drying.  They even come in all kinds of fun designs.
2010-01-28 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2556071

Veteran

For those that put there socks on before the bike, what kind of approach do you use to getting on your bike?  Flying squirrel, shoes on and waddle with them?!?!?  I was thinking it would be easiest(fastest) to run to the line and mount(stop or flying) then put your shoes on after but if you run in socks, wouldn’t they pick up grass/dirt/rocks.

2010-01-28 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2624534

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
nevergivin - 2010-01-20 2:38 PM
bigr82 - 2010-01-20 7:47 AM It's kind of funny how many shoes you can pick up all the sudden. In about a month I got my asics kayanno 15's, zoot ultra temps 2+'s(sale $59, couldnt pass), and my tri bike shoes.  Put a few runs in on the zoots and there pretty neat, didn't know how they would do with my big frame.  They really feel like nothing is on your feet, and going sockless I don't seem to get any hot spots.

Does anyone know, can I put body glide or something else on my feet to help with hot spots?

That is very common to use, some use vasaline also.

Anybody have a link to this Body Glide stuff?
2010-01-28 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2640341

User image

Expert
bigr82 - 2010-01-28 10:53 AM

For those that put there socks on before the bike, what kind of approach do you use to getting on your bike?  Flying squirrel, shoes on and waddle with them?!?!?  I was thinking it would be easiest(fastest) to run to the line and mount(stop or flying) then put your shoes on after but if you run in socks, wouldn’t they pick up grass/dirt/rocks.

ok, so I've only done one triathlon, but here's what I did.  In T1 I put on my socks (shorty foot length, non cotton socks from Target I think) right over my wet feet, then put on my bike shoes.  I have MTB shoes with three velcro straps so they are easy to put on and run in (I'm told road shoes are not, though I've never actually used them so I don't really know, but I saw plenty of other racers putting on their road bike shoes in transition so it must not be THAT bad).  I ran with the bike to the transition exit, came to a stop, stepped on one pedal (didn't clip in yet, just stepped on the pedal), pushed off and threw my other leg over the bike.  Just a nice basic rolling start, nothing fancy here.  Once on the bike I clipped in and took off.  I debated all the cool ways I've read about (leaving shoes on the bike, or a flying cyclocross style mount) and decided the chance of total humiliation was fairly high, and really what would a few seconds matter?

The no-socks thing doesn't seem like a good idea to me, it only takes a few seconds to slip on some socks and a blister from the bike would really suck on the run!

Until I'm quite a bit faster, I don't think I'll sweat my transitions too much...  What's that saying, I swim like a runner and run like a swimmer...
2010-01-28 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2640501

User image

Expert
Panther - 2010-01-28 11:37 AM

http://www.trisports.com/bod13oz.html
2010-01-28 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2640974

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
norcal_SAHD - 2010-01-28 5:14 PM
Panther - 2010-01-28 11:37 AM

http://www.trisports.com/bod13oz.html

Thanks!

I was typing 'Body glide' into Google and it was taking me to places that, well.....  you know......
2010-01-28 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2641162

User image

Expert
Panther - 2010-01-28 3:48 PM Thanks!

I was typing 'Body glide' into Google and it was taking me to places that, well.....  you know......

reminds me of last halloween.  My youngest daughter (5 yo) wanted us to make her a bunny costume.  I stupidly, with her over my shoulder, typed 'bunny costume' into google images.  you can imagine the results...  oops!

back to triathlons, my wetsuit came today!  I just ordered it Tuesday, talk about quick shipping.  The girls were quite amused watching me struggle with trying to put it on.  'Dad, are you going to do an Ironman right now?'  I think I'll try it out in the pool on Monday.  That should get some looks.

2010-01-29 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2640341

User image

Modesto, California
bigr82 - 2010-01-28 10:53 AM

If you have road bike shoes then put them on before getting on the bike, with tri shoes you can put them on while on the bike because of the big loop in back to pull up, it just takes practice. I learned while using my trainer, outdoors you do a little at a time so that you can continue to build speed and prevent running off the road. You get on the bike with your feet on top of the shoes and start pedaling until you get speed and get out in the clear, any pebbles will come off at this point.
2010-01-29 8:14 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Does everyone know what Brake and Tire wear indicators are ?

These are indicators that let you know its time to change the rubber !
Brake pads have vertical groves that seperate the brake pads into four sections, those groves are called wear indicators and are there to let you know when its getting close to replacement time. Always change both at the same time to keep even pressure on the brakes.

Tire wear indicators are two small holes in the tire, it looks like two small nail holes. Every 1000 miles I will rotate my tires to keep tire wear even, the rear tire will always wear faster than the front, so I will switch them to keep even wear, as with brakes I will change both also.

2010-01-30 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2643843

User image

Master
St. Louis
Picked up Joe Friel's triathlete training bible today.  Anyone else read this?
2010-01-31 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2645196

User image

Modesto, California
ransick - 2010-01-30 8:08 PM Picked up Joe Friel's triathlete training bible today.  Anyone else read this?

I have, I did not care for it as a good read or practical training refrence. This book is very technical and not easy for the recreational triathlete to follow. It does has some good sections that I found useful such as setting up a training program, but overall I found it to be information overkill.
2010-01-31 3:38 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Nutrition

I wanted to discuss training nutrition and how it can make your workouts and recovery better. I wont get into general diet because of the abundance of information to cover.
 For the sake of keeping it simple I will keep the information basic and just discuss quanity and timing, and for the most part I will discuss it on a general level as it is possible to midify nutrition even further based on duration and intensity. Your primary goal for nutrition before/during/after workouts is energy/hydration/recovery.

QUANTITY - Quantity refers to the amount of food and drink a triathlete should consume, or more simply, their total calorie needs.

TIMING - Timing refers to when food and fluids are consumed.

2-4 Hours BEFORE training sessions

• Drink at least 16 ounces of fluids
  • Consume a high carbohydrate, low fat, moderate protein meal
  • Choose familiar foods
  • Consume about 125 - 300 grams of carbohydrate 

30-60 Minutes BEFORE training sessions

• Consume about 0.3 - 0.5 grams of carbohydrate per pound of body weight
    (1 small banana, 16 oz sports beverage )
  • Choose familiar foods
  • Choose foods low in fiber
  • Drink 8-16 ounces of fluid 15 minutes before exercise

DURING training sessions Over 1 hour

• Drink 4 - 8 oz of fluid every 15 minutes
  • Consume 30-60 grams carbohydrate per hour:
    (16 oz sports drink, 2 Large bananas, most energy bars)

To optimize fuel usage be sure to start refueling after 90 minutes of training.  For every hour beyond 90 minutes, aim at ½ gram of carbohydrate  and up to 1/8 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. For most females this equates out to be 45-60 grams of carbohydrate, which could be replenished by consuming 1 energy gel with electrolyte enhanced water every ½ hour beyond 90 minutes of training.  For male triathletes, an hourly dosing of 60-75 grams of carbohydrates is generally warranted.  This could be fulfilled by consuming an energy gel with electrolyte enhanced water plus 8 ounces of a sports drink every half hour beyond 90 minutes of training.  Opt for sports foods containing small amounts of protein (Accelerade, Perpetuem, energy bars) .

Recovery AFTER training sessions

• Maximum glycogen replacement rate occurs within 2 hours after exercise
  • Eat a high carbohydrate, low fat, moderate protein meal
  • Post-strength training: consume a high quality protein like milk, egg, or chicken

Within 30 minutes after finishing, aim at consuming ½ gram of carbohydrate and 1/8 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight.  For most female triathletes, a 200-250 calorie snack is appropriate whereas most male triathletes will require closer to 300+ calories for post workout replenishment.  At this time, you could opt for a sports food or you can go for real food.  Some of my favorite post-workout recovery foods include low-fat chocolate milk, smoothies with a protein boost.

I use the same guidelines when racing Olympic distance races or above, for sprint races I will just take a gel before my swim, some water on the bike and some gatorade on the run.

2010-01-31 3:52 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Anyone have good drills to increase stride length?  I measured my turnover rate today and it's pretty good (87) but I would like to run quite a bit faster than I do today.  I'm going to add some 200's and 400's one day per week and would like to add some stride lengthing drills.
2010-01-31 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2645927

User image

Master
St. Louis
nevergivin - 2010-01-31 3:38 PM Nutrition

Some of my favorite post-workout recovery foods include low-fat chocolate milk, smoothies with a protein boost.

Thanks for the info.  My kids like my new found love of chocolate milk.  My son puts it in his cookie crisp cereal :-).  I've been craving hard boiled eggs lately and made some last week.  Found a trick on the internet to keep the yolks really yellow.  After boiling the eggs for 10 minutes, put them in ice water to cool them down quickly.
2010-02-01 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2645927

User image

kelowna
Nutrition

What if you are working out first thing in the morning?  I usually work out 20-25 mins after I wake up, I normally have 8-10oz of water and then off I go.
2010-02-01 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2647411

User image

Master
St. Louis
ThePassionDiva - 2010-02-01 10:53 AM Nutrition

What if you are working out first thing in the morning?  I usually work out 20-25 mins after I wake up, I normally have 8-10oz of water and then off I go.

I don't eat anything pre-workout if I work out for 30 minutes before work.  Probably not the best approach but getting up earlier is difficult.
2010-02-02 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2645196

User image

Expert
ransick - 2010-01-30 8:08 PM Picked up Joe Friel's triathlete training bible today.  Anyone else read this?

I have it, and really like it.  Much of the info is admittedly either over my head, or not relevant to me at my current level, but it's still interesting to read.  I really liked the chapters on the physiology of racing, and heart rate training info, and really learned a LOT in the training plan chapters.  It has inspired me to create full on season training plans for both my wife and I.  It's a great book full of more info than you need, and I would think a bit overwhelming for a total newbie, but it's definately worth getting and reading, imo.

I also have "The Complete Idiots Guide to Triathlon Training" by Colin Barr and Steve Katai.  It's much more beginner friendly, and was the perfect book for me last June when I knew absolutely nothing about Tri's.  It too is a great book, though more geared to someone starting out from scratch.

Both good books I think, though the Bible is much more long term relevant I think.

2010-02-02 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2647411

User image

Modesto, California
ThePassionDiva - 2010-02-01 8:53 AM Nutrition

I would stick with just water, you will have plenty of glucose stored for a workout in that duration range, even if your last meal was dinner from the night before.
2010-02-02 8:21 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
any one in the group twitter?  My sn is ransick (imagine that).  I follow a few BT'ers (and non-BT'ers)
2010-02-02 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2651158

User image

Master
St. Louis
norcal_SAHD - 2010-02-02 7:23 PM

the Bible is much more long term relevant I think.

Thanks.  I'm an engineer, so I like more information.  I'll skim through the non-relevant stuff, which as a newbie will be a bunch.  As I get better, I'll go back and re-read sections.

Re-injured myself on the bike this morning. Ugggh!  Serves me right for trying to get up early before work.  Looks like I'll be calling the doc again tomorrow.  I thought learning to swim was humbling/humiliating.  Two undercarriage exams and two undercarriage ultrasounds are a close second.   Had to skip my run tonight and probably tomorrow.
2010-02-03 4:49 PM

Veteran
Got the new HOttness today.  I was going to pick up a roadie after talking with a bunch of ppl( thanks again to those who helped me out, that will also read this) BUT came across a 05 Specailized Transition Elite tri bike.  Guy took $600 bucks, thing looks amazing, also came with shimano carbon tri shoes, Look pedals, matching helmet(mysize), sigma bike computer, spare repair kit.  Has dura ace shifters, ultegra rear, 105 front.  Ill post pics when i get home, can't wait to test this baby out & probably fall over tring to learn how to ride in the bars.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  

of 21