BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2010-01-22 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2627826

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010!
Hey Ryan, maybe Disney will name a ride after you if you drown in their lake.   Just kidding, keep up the good work.

2010-01-22 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2557655

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Phil (pastoops), I'm buying my first ever HRM today at TrSports after work.  I'm getting the Timex Ironman Triathlon, $70.00.  It's really basic and the price is right.  I have always checked my pulse on my neck for 10 seconds and x by 6.  Well, needless to say, that's getting old.  I know nothing about targer HR zones, although I'm researching.  I know my max HR is 220 - my age (42) = 178  So I imagine that is red lineing my heart.  I've heard about training at 80%?  Is that true?  Should I try to do a majority of my training @ 80% which would be 142 BPM.   Or do you know some good zones for me?  My first ever sprint Tri is in 56 days.  Been training for nearly 5 weeks, detailed training and nutrition log available on my homepage Masi 68.  Was hopeing my mentor could throw some of his knowledge and wisdom my way.
Thanks,
Scott
2010-01-22 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2629024

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Masi 68 - 2010-01-22 12:57 PM Phil (pastoops), I'm buying my first ever HRM today at TrSports after work.  I'm getting the Timex Ironman Triathlon, $70.00.  It's really basic and the price is right.  I have always checked my pulse on my neck for 10 seconds and x by 6.  Well, needless to say, that's getting old.  I know nothing about targer HR zones, although I'm researching.  I know my max HR is 220 - my age (42) = 178  So I imagine that is red lineing my heart.  I've heard about training at 80%?  Is that true?  Should I try to do a majority of my training @ 80% which would be 142 BPM.   Or do you know some good zones for me?  My first ever sprint Tri is in 56 days.  Been training for nearly 5 weeks, detailed training and nutrition log available on my homepage Masi 68.  Was hopeing my mentor could throw some of his knowledge and wisdom my way.
Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

I have the same watch. Good choice.

Here is a link I have posted on my training blog that explains heart rate calculations and what each zone means:

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/hrzones.php?minHR=59&maxHR=180&Submit=Calculate

Their advice is to do most of your cardio training in the 70-80% range. (for me that's 144-156)

This zone is most effective for overall cardiovascular fitness. Increases your cardio-respitory capacity: that is, the your ability to transport oxygenated blood to the muscle cells and carbon dioxide away from the cells.  Also effective for increasing overall muscle strength.

I'm not a certified trainer but my coach has me staying in Zone 2 (z2) for the majority of my workouts...as we move closer to the tri season and start training for (ultimately) my two Half-Iron distance races, most of my training will fall into Z1 and Z2...alot in Z1 believe it or not as it builds the mitochondria that help move the bad stuff out of the muscles and reduces fatigue and cramping...of course a half-iron distance is a much longer race and the training/goals are different than for a sprint.

So, for a sprint tri, basically you would need to spend some time in all 5 zones in order to prepare for the higher intensity.  That being said, without knowing where your strengths and weaknesses are and really being able to see you technique, etc it's hard for me to tell you where to place your efforts.

There are some good sprint tri training plans on BT that could give you some more specific direction based upon your race timing. (just under 8 weeks)

Phil

2010-01-22 4:35 PM
in reply to: #2629583

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Phil, thanks so much.  That was perfect.  Thanks for your time and knowledge.  Have a nice weekend.
2010-01-22 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2628937

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Masi 68 - 2010-01-22 11:22 AM Hey Ryan, maybe Disney will name a ride after you if you drown in their lake.   Just kidding, keep up the good work.
<p>

Nope.  The swim will not get the best of me.  I will do it.  <p>  

I will up my swim training.  I may have to back off my bike training a little for a month but that will be OK.  I am pretty strong on the bike for a rookie.   <p>

I am resting today.  Though I had it scheduled and it was time for a day off, I felt great today.  I really wanted to train.  I actually should have.  Tomorrow I am doing a long run.  Sunday, I will start working on  my swim drills.  I have a few off the internet and this site.  <p>

You guys have given some fantastic info.  I appreciate it more than you know.  I have done some strength training so the diet portion of this is easy for me.  The other is a fog.  Thanks for shedding some light on it.  <p>

2010-01-22 8:23 PM

User image

Regular
Glad to see all you guys getting your swim down.  Great work.  I'v learned from years past to listen to my body when it is hololering, and today, well and really yesterday it was saying I need a rest.  So, I'm taking today off and if I feel good and strong tomorrow I'll go ride My rebuilt "New to me Bike". If I still feel I need another day I take tomorrow off cause I'm going on a long run Sunday with another Marine buddy of mine. 

On another note went to the mall with my son today to get him a pair of running shoes for his 1mile run and got him a cool pair of Nike Free Lights.  I have read about the Adult Nike Free 5.0 for a year or so and never seen them.  I have forever ran in NIKE shoes usually NIKE PEGASUS Bowerman series because a shoe with to much arch support or structure made my feet sore. I dont overstride and have a mid foot strike.  Well, today Finish Line sports had the FREE 5.0's and I tried them on and thought they felt awsome, most flexable running shoe I have ever tried on and really light weight. Everything I have ever read on them said they are ment to give the feel of running bare foot.  Althought they are far less restrictive and cussioned than other shoes they still dont feel Bare foot to me.   I Ran 3 miles in just sox on the school track back in 2006 after reading Chi-running.  The Book recomended running bare foot strides in grass but I figured I could see if there was glass or twigs on the track and it was made of that ground tire rubber so it was softer than concrete.  Any way I had no issues runnign in sox so I think these will be a great pair of runnign shoes for me. I'll try them out and report back with field use results. 

2010-01-22 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2629966

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
SAWFISH50 - 2010-01-22 8:23 PMGlad to see all you guys getting your swim down.  Great work.  I'v learned from years past to listen to my body when it is hololering, and today, well and really yesterday it was saying I need a rest.  So, I'm taking today off and if I feel good and strong tomorrow I'll go ride My rebuilt "New to me Bike". If I still feel I need another day I take tomorrow off cause I'm going on a long run Sunday with another Marine buddy of mine. 

On another note went to the mall with my son today to get him a pair of running shoes for his 1mile run and got him a cool pair of Nike Free Lights.  I have read about the Adult Nike Free 5.0 for a year or so and never seen them.  I have forever ran in NIKE shoes usually NIKE PEGASUS Bowerman series because a shoe with to much arch support or structure made my feet sore. I dont overstride and have a mid foot strike.  Well, today Finish Line sports had the FREE 5.0's and I tried them on and thought they felt awsome, most flexable running shoe I have ever tried on and really light weight. Everything I have ever read on them said they are ment to give the feel of running bare foot.  Althought they are far less restrictive and cussioned than other shoes they still dont feel Bare foot to me.   I Ran 3 miles in just sox on the school track back in 2006 after reading Chi-running.  The Book recomended running bare foot strides in grass but I figured I could see if there was glass or twigs on the track and it was made of that ground tire rubber so it was softer than concrete.  Any way I had no issues runnign in sox so I think these will be a great pair of runnign shoes for me. I'll try them out and report back with field use results. 

Interesting about the shoes. I have always worn Nike. Though I have never been a runner. I just always liked the comfort and style of Nikes. When I got this brain fart a year or so ago to get in shape and live a more active lifestyle, I tried to find a better shoe. I ended up with Asics. I am running in Asics Gel-Nimbus-11's. I have no idea about these shoes but I like the comfort.

There are so many things I have no clue about here. I am just winging it. hahaha. About the only thing I am pretty sure that I am good on is nutrition. The rest is a blur and I take it day to day.

I still have no idea what type of clothes to wear. Good thing I have some time. I love the benefits you get from the bike shorts but I hate the way they look. I ride now with a pair of shorts on over them. I cant figure out which way I look like more of an idiot. Haha

Good luck with your new bike. I got an awesome deal on a bike a few months back and pulled the trigger. I had a very very very old bike before that. Im liking the new one..

2010-01-22 11:21 PM

User image

Regular
Ryan

I tryed the Asic Gel shoes for running once after a running store hyped them up to me, but the arch support in them creates a hot spot on my arch and rubs a blister,  I never completed a run over 2 miles in them before switching back to Nike.  I have a pair of the Asics I wear around for casual wear got em on sale but I cant run in them.  I have sucessfully ran in 3 other brands of shoes but never stuck with them.  Brooks 1 pair(Marine Corps bootcamp Issue 1987),  Rebocks 1 pair wore out fast, Saconey Grids 1 pair they are hard to find.  If what your using now works stick with it. 

What Kind of bike you get?  Mine is a Used Peugeot about 10 or 11 years old I picked up from a guy for $100 There is a pic of it in this thread somewhere I'll post one later of how it looks now that I have fixed it up. 

As far as Shorts go I need to pick up a new pair of road bike shorts All I have now is Mountain bike shorts which are the tight spandex shorts with the @$$ pad in them as a liner and a outter pair of shorts much like loose fit swiming shorts.  If you dont like the way the tight shorts fit get you some mountain bike shorts best of both worlds.  But, theroy is that tight fitting shorts and shirt create less wind drag and thus you will be faster on the road bike,  not an issue on a Mountain bike, and Sure as hell not an issue with me on either bike... LOL!!! 

Hell If I thought less wind drag would make me run faster I'd shave my entire body and run butt necked....  :-)
2010-01-23 5:00 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

Tri-wear...my comments...

1. running shoes...very individual  Been wearing Asics for a long time. They fit me best.  Nike 
I find a small sizing.  Where I am a clydesdale, I need a support shoe or my knees get achy.  This is how how I know I need a new pair.  Also because of body mass (215ish), I go through them much before the 500-800 miles, that is talked about as a running shoe life.  I am on the 300-500 side.

2. Cycling shoes...I am road shoes at moment.  very stiff & "enclosed".  Not meant to be taken or or off quickly.  When I purchase my Tri-bike, will probably get Tri shoes as well.  Will be interested if any difference, beside  the fastening straps.

3.  Tri/Cycling shorts....I like the tight fit.  Sweat goes thru & don't feel like it is being mopped up.  I like "tech" tops as well, for same reason.  There have been numerous threads, here, about shyness wearing these.   Everyone seems to agree, get over it.  everyone else is doing it & no one cares.  Another tip.  If you are worried about your "junk" showing through spandex...Black covers best.  Wearing others colors seem to leave much less to the imagination.  If you want to keep some semblence of modesty, go black!!!

4.   Shaving...The hardcore cyclist & Tri'ers still do.  Legs as smooth as a baby's butt.  I am not that hardcore, but you never know! 

5.   Socks...I like the, even though they are usually quite thin.  To save time in T1, many will go barefoot in a tri shoe, depending on the distance.  sprints are common sockless.  Oly's, few more wear socks, Half & full iron, most/many wear them for blister prevention.

6.  Fuelbelts...I have 2 of these, 1 with large bottle at back & 1 with 4 smaller around waist.  Don't like either.  they bother me.  They jiggle around, keep moving etc.   I have friends who always wear them for long runs.  I now just carry fluid (as evidenced by lighthouse pics).  This seems to be best for me, but obviously very individual.  At a race, there is plenty of nutrition provided by organizers, so I don't bother to take any of my own, except gels, for longer distances.  I have not done half iron or iron, but bike nutrition for this seems to be a whole topic to itself.

Ok, time to go to spin...

Have a good day, athletes! 

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-23 5:02 AM
2010-01-23 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2630144

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
GoGoGo - 2010-01-23 5:00 AM

Tri-wear...my comments...

1. running shoes...very individual  Been wearing Asics for a long time. They fit me best.  Nike 
I find a small sizing.  Where I am a clydesdale, I need a support shoe or my knees get achy.  This is how how I know I need a new pair.  Also because of body mass (215ish), I go through them much before the 500-800 miles, that is talked about as a running shoe life.  I am on the 300-500 side.

2. Cycling shoes...I am road shoes at moment.  very stiff & "enclosed".  Not meant to be taken or or off quickly.  When I purchase my Tri-bike, will probably get Tri shoes as well.  Will be interested if any difference, beside  the fastening straps.

3.  Tri/Cycling shorts....I like the tight fit.  Sweat goes thru & don't feel like it is being mopped up.  I like "tech" tops as well, for same reason.  There have been numerous threads, here, about shyness wearing these.   Everyone seems to agree, get over it.  everyone else is doing it & no one cares.  Another tip.  If you are worried about your "junk" showing through spandex...Black covers best.  Wearing others colors seem to leave much less to the imagination.  If you want to keep some semblence of modesty, go black!!!

4.   Shaving...The hardcore cyclist & Tri'ers still do.  Legs as smooth as a baby's butt.  I am not that hardcore, but you never know! 

5.   Socks...I like the, even though they are usually quite thin.  To save time in T1, many will go barefoot in a tri shoe, depending on the distance.  sprints are common sockless.  Oly's, few more wear socks, Half & full iron, most/many wear them for blister prevention.

6.  Fuelbelts...I have 2 of these, 1 with large bottle at back & 1 with 4 smaller around waist.  Don't like either.  they bother me.  They jiggle around, keep moving etc.   I have friends who always wear them for long runs.  I now just carry fluid (as evidenced by lighthouse pics).  This seems to be best for me, but obviously very individual.  At a race, there is plenty of nutrition provided by organizers, so I don't bother to take any of my own, except gels, for longer distances.  I have not done half iron or iron, but bike nutrition for this seems to be a whole topic to itself.

Ok, time to go to spin...

Have a good day, athletes! 

Thanks for the advice.  I do appreciate it.  I like the asics.  I think I will stick with them.   They feel great on my feet and I like the extra arch support.  I am like you as well. I go through my shoes faster.  I guess its my extra weight.  I am loosing a little as I train but I am being very careful that I don't cut too much too fast.  I don't want to interfere with my training.

I dont want to swim in bike shorts but I think I will really need them for the 57 mile bike ride.  I may just wear a pair of compression shorts under my swim suit and then change in the transition area.  Not sure yet  I will tackle that bear later.  For me, my first HIM will not be as much of a race as it is an event.  So I will not be humping it through the transition area like the racers.  

Im not shaving my body.  No way.  And I will have socks on.  Call me what you want.  Hahaha

You guys have a fantastic weekend.  I am sititng here having my oatmeal and getting ready for my long run today.  I am ready for it......   Using my Garmin for the first time.  Thanks for recommending it.  Now I have something else to learn.  Sealed  

My bike you ask.   I purchased a brand new, left over 2009 Obrea Onix....  It is a road full carbon road bike.  I got it for a steal at the local bike shop..   I am having them add the tri bars to it but I actully like the road bike for riding around here better than a tri bike.   Its a nice ride and i hope to get to spend a bunch of time on it.   I dont know a lot about bikes and know nothing about Obrea but some people that I trust recommended it.  So far, so good....

Here it is.  Its not exactly like mine but close

http://www.orbea.com/en/bicis/modelos/onix_t105_ct/presentacion/

2010-01-23 9:04 AM

Extreme Veteran
Just back from my morning run - this group has been busy, which is great.

Heart rate training:  There's a lot of info about this and how to do it "right"  There's also a lot of conflicting information.  Everyone seems to agree that the 220-age is not the metric to use to train with.  I've had a Garmin 305 for a little over a year and haven't done a proper lactate threshold (LT) test yet, but will once spring comes around.  Its 40 hard minutes of running but it gives you the right benchmark to go against.

Odd thing about HR training, you would think that as you got better and more in shape your LT would go up, but it doesn't.  It seems that your body gets more efficient and can do more (run faster) at the same LT.

Swimming:  Look here for some good basic tips:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=117554&start=1  I don't really like swimming but I do it.  Its really just "time in the saddle"  I pay attention to form as much as I can, but I don't do drills.  I'll just pay attention to reaching, balance or breathing/rotating for a length or two.  A friend of mine is a good swimmer and lifeguard at a local pool.  I'll probably ask her for a lesson or two.

Don't overthink this stuff.  Its all kids' games.  Just get out there and run or bike or swim.  Will your form be perfect?  No.  Will you stand on the podium for your age group?  Probably not.  But bugger it all - time in the saddle.

2010-01-23 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2629966

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Good morning Devil Dog.  I bought the Nike 5.0 Free during the Black Friday sale day after Thanksgiving.  I got the red ones.  They are super lite.  Nike compares it to being barefoot.  I thought I would run in them but can't.  I tried, just not enough support for me, but I love wearing them and wear them 3-4 days per week.  I run in Nike Mx Air, sweet.  Have a safe weekend.
2010-01-23 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2630263

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Bruce, thanks for the info.  Everything helps.  I had no idea about the 220 - age wasn't accurate.  I read that in some cycling literature some time ago.  I just started getting into this HR stuff.  Thanks for your input.
2010-01-23 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2630253

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Nice bike.  Way to go!!  Sweet!
2010-01-23 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Good morning guys.  Had a great ride this morning.  I'm riding a road bike tha't really not to well known.  Was popular back in the day but not so much anymore.  I ride th 2008 Masi Gran Criterium, i just love it.  Masi kind of has an underground following.  There is a US pro team rideing them though, I think it's HealthNet but they may have changed their name.  I don't know if anyone saw the movie "Breaking Away" but that's what the main character, I think his name was "Dave" was rideing, the Gran Criterium.  I have Ultegra components on it with Shimano wheeles.  Great ride this morning.  Rode to Madera Canyon 40 miles rountrip, last section to the peak of the canyon is 9-15% grade....OUCH!!  Hit 40 mph on the decent, eyes were tearing so bad thought for sure I would crash.  Don't care to go to much over 40 mph....To fast for me.  Especially on 700x23 Michelin Pto Lite tires.  I'm always afraid my front tire will blow or something crazy will happen.  I have so much respect for the great decenders of the Tour de France.  70-80 KM per hour... Insane!  Hope everybody has a great weekend, be safe!
2010-01-23 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2630363

Extreme Veteran
Masi 68 - 2010-01-23 11:32 AM Bruce, thanks for the info.  Everything helps.  I had no idea about the 220 - age wasn't accurate.  I read that in some cycling literature some time ago.  I just started getting into this HR stuff.  Thanks for your input.

Did some digging, and found this about HR training.  Good overview of the different methods and at the bottom is a link to the LT test I was talking about:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=405

The 220-age method works on average.  So if you had a group of 40 year olds, their average max heart rate would be around 180.

2010-01-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2630501

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Excellent info Bruce, I read the entire page.  May pick up a copy of the "Triathlete Training Bible"  Thanks for your time.  Have a safe weekend.
2010-01-23 3:50 PM

User image

Great info guys! I have been just sitting back quietly reading and trying to soak it up. I'm taking today and tomorrow off. The weekends are pretty tough with the kiddos, church, and whatnot. But I am really enjoying all of the advice/opinions. Just wanted to drop in and let you all know that I'm still here. 

I did 60 minutes on a stationary bike this week which turned out to be over 20 miles...the longest I have EVER been on a bike and boy was it evident the next day. Yowza..... 
2010-01-23 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2630357

User image

Regular
Masi 68 - 2010-01-23 10:28 AM Good morning Devil Dog.  I bought the Nike 5.0 Free during the Black Friday sale day after Thanksgiving.  I got the red ones.  They are super lite.  Nike compares it to being barefoot.  I thought I would run in them but can't.  I tried, just not enough support for me, but I love wearing them and wear them 3-4 days per week.  I run in Nike Mx Air, sweet.  Have a safe weekend.

Well I'll let you know how they are for me tomorrow. I plan to run 6 mils in them,  I can run that far in most any shoe unless it is blistering my feet, then I just stop and walk back but I doubt these will do that. 

Today I rowed for 30 minutes then rode my bike aroud the neighborhood for 30 minutes to get use to it. I have to get use to cliping in and out of the peddals as well as transitioning to and from areo bar position.   All went well , a couple more practice runs and I'll be ready to go for a 15 to 25 mile ride just want to be comfortable on the bike before I get out to far.  Have a great weekend guys.
2010-01-23 5:01 PM

Dolores, CO
Nice info on the HR...hmm mybe I should break down and get a monitor to see what I'm doing.

Took off the last 2 days first drove out of SW Colorado to get out before the big snow storm hit so only had to drive 4 hours in a snowstorm to get out of it and another four and a half to get up to Denver area.  Then got side tracked yesterday looking at bike shops trying to find a road bike.

Got up this morning and got in a 5 mile run.
2010-01-23 6:59 PM

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
I have to brag a little today. I got in my long run today even though the weather sucked. 38 deg and a 15 mph wind. I ran 7.1 miles in 69 mins flat. My best run ever. I did the 3:1 run walk ratio. I am convinced it is the deal for me. Both speed and distance are my personal bests. I am not a runner. I guess the biggest thing was how good I felt after. I could have easily ran 3-4 more. Not bad in my book for a guy that was almost 300 pounds just a little over a year ago. I will be ready for the half marathon in 8 weeks.

<p>
My time was 69 mins.  A little better than a 10 min mile pace.   

Edited by LanierSpots 2010-01-23 9:31 PM

2010-01-23 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2630940

Extreme Veteran
LanierSpots - 2010-01-23 7:59 PM I have to brag a little today. I got in my long run today even though the weather sucked. 38 deg and a 15 mph wind. I ran 7.1 miles in 59 mins flat. My best run ever. I did the 3:1 run walk ratio. I am convinced it is the deal for me. Both speed and distance are my personal bests. I am not a runner. I guess the biggest thing was how good I felt after. I could have easily ran 3-4 more. Not bad in my book for a guy that was almost 300 pounds just a little over a year ago. I will be ready for the half marathon in 8 weeks.

Great Job! You should do great in the half marathon. 
2010-01-23 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2630969

User image

Great job! I was impressed that you did it and I'm SUPER impressed that you felt good enough to do more after Keep up the great work!
2010-01-24 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2630940

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Way to go Ryan, good job man!  Keep up the great work.
2010-01-24 10:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Had a nice run this morning - 11 miles (ok, 10.86) non-stop at a decent pace - closer to 10:00/mile than 9:00/mile, but not bad.  I was cold and tired at the end, and I'm tired now, but I feel pretty good anyway.

And boys and girls (girl?) - I've switched to running tights for cooler and colder morning runs.  They are more comfortable than the workout pants/jogging suit I was using.  The ones I have are lightweight, so if it gets much colder, I'll have to layer them over something.  I do feel strange wearing the tights, but its 5:00 a.m. when I'm out.  Who the heck is going to see me?  (Tights are Champion C9's from Target and Starter's from Walmart.  Starter seems to be a little tighter and the   c9's a little stretchier.)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  

of 35