Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2010-04-06 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2558214

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Subject: RE: Scottt's Group - Closed
All the best for the 5km. You'll do great.
Bad news on the back front. Went for a little 20 min run on the treadmill after getting the ok. Held off doing anything Sun and then Monday was back to being in constant pain. Need to get an MRI but am told it will take several months. My ex is a surgeon so will try and get one earlier.
Going to sports doc next Wed.
Very disappointing that this is the beg of my season. No injuries last year. Raced my first race with pneumonia and no complaints.
Fi

2010-04-06 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2771025

User image

Veteran
Central Point
alexenafi - 2010-04-06 7:58 AM All the best for the 5km. You'll do great.
Bad news on the back front. Went for a little 20 min run on the treadmill after getting the ok. Held off doing anything Sun and then Monday was back to being in constant pain. Need to get an MRI but am told it will take several months. My ex is a surgeon so will try and get one earlier.
Very disappointing that this is the beg of my season. No injuries last year. Raced my first race with pneumonia and no complaints.
Fi

Wow sorry to hear that the back isn't really getting better. Back problems are so frustrating. I hope you are able to get in and have it taken care of soon. Best Wishes
2010-04-06 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2770980

User image

Regular
Salem
ckallpoints - 2010-04-06 9:41 AM Well I have my first ever 5k Saturday at 7:AM. I'm a little nervous, I haven't raced in 30+ years. Its going to be interesting to see how the whole process works. I figure a local 5k is a good place to get my feet wet. Oh and the local forecast is Lo of 39 mostly cloudy I don't need to worry about the high. Packet pick up is Friday that will be a new experience as well.

Good luck in the 5k....but most of all enjoy the day!
2010-04-06 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2771025

User image

Regular
Salem
alexenafi - 2010-04-06 9:58 AM All the best for the 5km. You'll do great.
Fi

I can relate to what you are going through.....on a daily basis.  I have had back problems for the past 3-4 years.  I live on biofeeze...similar to ben-gay etc.  I had a MRI and they tell me that there is nothing they can do.  I know people that have had surgery and they say that it has not helped....so surgery for me is out of the question.  I try to ge get a massage 1-2 a month and that seems to help me with the tight muscles....anyway i hope you get to feeling better and get the back issue figured out.
2010-04-06 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
I have to get used to training at 6am again. So I'm going to go to the gym and do some weights on the machines. Stuff where my back is supported. Just to get used to training on a consistent basis again. Going to bed by ten and getting up at 6am.

2010-04-06 8:32 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Have fun on your run Craig!

Sorry to hear about your back Fiona - sounds brutal! 

Hope everyone had a nice long weekend.  Weather here was beautiful!  Hoping this weekend will be the same...

2010-04-08 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Back is much better today thanks.

How is everyone else doing?
2010-04-08 8:39 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
I couldn't find the thread!  I guess we're now archived! 

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better Fiona.

I'm having a brutal week - long hours at work and then on 'mama' duty. 
Hopefully I'll be able to get some good workouts in this weekend.

What's everyone else got planned for the weekend?
2010-04-08 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2778791

User image

Regular
Salem
kimmax - 2010-04-08 8:39 PM I couldn't find the thread!  I guess we're now archived! 

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better Fiona.

I'm having a brutal week - long hours at work and then on 'mama' duty. 
Hopefully I'll be able to get some good workouts in this weekend.

What's everyone else got planned for the weekend?

Im looking forward to a long bike ride followed by a run. Its been a long week for me at work.  I think everybody has lost there mind or it must be getting close to a full moon.
2010-04-09 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2778834

User image

Veteran
Central Point
srichards428 - 2010-04-08 7:05 PM
 I think everybody has lost there mind or it must be getting close to a full moon.

^^^^ I haven't lost it just simply miss placed it.

We have been moving our office to the suite next door so work has been interesting. We will be done late this afternoon once we get the phones switched over. Then its off to pick up the packet for the 5k tomorrow.

I have a hard time calling it a race knowing where I'm going to be at the end. I guess its a race against the clock to set my PR. Its 28* and clear right now I hope its warmer tomorrow. If the weather is good maybe a little ride Sunday.
2010-04-10 12:41 PM

User image

Finished my first every tri today I feel overall it went well, I managed 1:35:56 feel great, Will do another sprint in 8 weeks but will be in open water. Take a few days off, go out and celebrate with a few drinks tonight then back to the training, going to do a 12 week Olympic plan with the hope of doing that distance then put my race report here

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=202979&posts=1&start=1

2010-04-10 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2782203

User image

Regular
Salem
jforrest - 2010-04-10 12:41 PM Finished my first every tri today I feel overall it went well, I managed 1:35:56 feel great, Will do another sprint in 8 weeks but will be in open water. Take a few days off, go out and celebrate with a few drinks tonight then back to the training, going to do a 12 week Olympic plan with the hope of doing that distance then put my race report here

Congrats on the first tri!!!  I didnt race yet but Iam up for a few drinks.
2010-04-11 2:09 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
I have a question when it comes to using a HRM.  I did my first brick (bike to run) today in prepartion for a sprint tri.  When I got to the run my HR was out of my top zone by 5 beats per minute towards the end of my run it was about the same.  I have been training for the past few months and I thought my HR would of been within my zone.  I guess my question is .......does 5 BPM really matter for training?  I'm assumming that the method Im using is not really that accurate 180-age=MHR and I know that everybody has a different HR.  The reason I ask is I kept trying to keep my HR within my zone and my run almost got to a crawl....lol.  Does anybody have any thoughts?
2010-04-11 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Shawn,

I've never heard of 180-Age=MHR.  I've heard of 180-Age as an approximation for LT (Lactate Threshold).   I've heard of 220-Age=MHR.  Many people (including most on this site) violently agrue not to use this formula.  At best, it is a rough approximation.  A field test is the best way to determine an accurate LT.

Since it was a brick, I'm not surprised your HR was higher than for an equivalent stand-alone run.  In fact I would expect it.

2010-04-11 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Unfortunately, the back think is something I have a lot of first-hand experience with.

12 years ago I had a discectomy/laminectomy at L3/L4 after fighting sciatic problems for 6 years.  I had a good result and a definite inprovement with my surgery.  I continued to be a slave to a group of excercises my therapist gave me during rehab and sleeping with a knee piloow.  If I slept wrong, I stilll had quite a bit of pain.

After surgery, the greatest improvement happened when I lost the 40 lbs. when I got into this crazy sport.  Second to that, I have benefited greatly by staying committed to the original rehab excercises and additional core work.  This past fall I started doing yoga 2-3 times per week as a substitute for my core workouts and have seen even more improvement.  It has taken many months, but I have more more mobility, much more than I even thought possible, and much less pain.

As a minimum, I recommend a commitment to core work 2-3 times per week.  Even better...yoga.

One of the hardest parts of this sport, even more than the time for workouts themselves, is the time needed to do the support activities, such as stretching, core work and strength work.  For me it adds another 40-50% to my total volume (time).

2010-04-12 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
So I did my first ever 5k Sat and it went pretty well. 35* isn't that cold once you start running. My official time was 40:18 which is a better average time then I have been running on the treadmill.
This was also my first run outside, I've been doing all my runs on the treadmill. Pacing is hard to figure without that little number in front of you telling you how fast you're going. All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Things I learned are:
I need to run more.
Start a little closer to the front, I had to dodge around some of the slower people.

2010-04-12 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2784188

User image

Regular
Salem
Scottt - 2010-04-11 9:21 PM

Shawn,

I've never heard of 180-Age=MHR.  I've heard of 180-Age as an approximation for LT (Lactate Threshold).   I've heard of 220-Age=MHR.  Many people (including most on this site) violently agrue not to use this formula.  At best, it is a rough approximation.  A field test is the best way to determine an accurate LT.

Since it was a brick, I'm not surprised your HR was higher than for an equivalent stand-alone run.  In fact I would expect it.

Scott, What I meant to type was 220-age.....was in a hurry to get posted and get to work.  Im glad to know that it was ok to go out of the zone for a brick.  thanx for the info. 
2010-04-12 1:34 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Hey everyone!  Hope you all had an enjoyable weekend!!  Lots of racing going on!  Glad to hear yours went well Craig although it doesn't come as a surprise

I had a brutal week last week - kept skipping workouts due to work but this week - I am going to really try and stick to the schedule.  Given my first race is in 10 weeks - I have a wee bit more motivation   Ciao4now!

2010-04-12 10:23 PM

User image

New user

Southern Oregon
So I did my first sprint this weekend. The weather was horrible, cold (49F), raining and the wind and waves on the swim made it extra special. I figure if I can finish this I should do ok down the road. It was a great time and I finished 13/27 in my group so in the middle of the pack. Im looking forward to working on longer distances in the future. Hope everyone else is doing well. Take care.
2010-04-12 10:33 PM
in reply to: #2785162

User image

New user

Southern Oregon
ckallpoints - 2010-04-12 8:43 AM So I did my first ever 5k Sat and it went pretty well. 35* isn't that cold once you start running. My official time was 40:18 which is a better average time then I have been running on the treadmill.
This was also my first run outside, I've been doing all my runs on the treadmill. Pacing is hard to figure without that little number in front of you telling you how fast you're going. All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Things I learned are:
I need to run more.
Start a little closer to the front, I had to dodge around some of the slower people.

Good job Craig!!
If it was Pear Blossom you ran I heard it was a fun time with a lot of people this year .
2010-04-13 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2787115

User image

Veteran
Central Point
JBrunswick - 2010-04-12 8:33 PM
ckallpoints - 2010-04-12 8:43 AM So I did my first ever 5k Sat and it went pretty well. 35* isn't that cold once you start running. My official time was 40:18 which is a better average time then I have been running on the treadmill.
I need to run more.

Good job Craig!!
If it was Pear Blossom you ran I heard it was a fun time with a lot of people this year .

Thanks Jay and congratulations to you on your sprint, the weather sounds tough. It was the Pear Blossom and it was a pretty fun. It had a really fun atmosphere. There were 1118 people that did the 5k and 1580 that did the 10 mile. I ended up 790/1118 and 19/28 in 45-49 M.

2010-04-13 1:36 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
Craig,  Good job on the 5k.  That has to feel great to have got that first race out of the way.

2010-04-13 1:40 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
HRM question.

Does anybody where there HRM during there tri's?  Is it a good idea to keep a check on how much you are exerting in the beginningpart of the race?  I was thinking about wearing mine to keep a check on how fast Iam going and to make sure I have enough steam to finish.  Any thoughts on this....and also do you wear them during the swim?

Another thought just crossed my mind.  What do people wear for shortd during the swim.  Iam going to have a wet suit for my first race and was wandering if you change into bike shorts in the transition or just go without the extra padding.
2010-04-13 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2788766

User image

Veteran
Central Point
srichards428 - 2010-04-13 11:40 AM HRM question.

Does anybody where there HRM during there tri's?  Is it a good idea to keep a check on how much you are exerting in the beginning part of the race?  I was thinking about wearing mine to keep a check on how fast I am going and to make sure I have enough steam to finish.  Any thoughts on this....and also do you wear them during the swim?

Another thought just crossed my mind.  What do people wear for shortd during the swim.  Iam going to have a wet suit for my first race and was wandering if you change into bike shorts in the transition or just go without the extra padding.

I just bought a pair of Tri shorts from Aevero. They advertise on this site. They have a little padding and were fairly inexpensive $37 after shipping and came with a jacket. I wore them on the run Saturday under another pair of shorts cause it was coldish but they were comfortable on the run. I haven't worn them in the pool yet but I expect they'll be fine.
2010-04-13 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2788766

User image

New user

Southern Oregon
srichards428 - 2010-04-13 11:40 AM HRM question.

Does anybody where there HRM during there tri's?  Is it a good idea to keep a check on how much you are exerting in the beginningpart of the race?  I was thinking about wearing mine to keep a check on how fast Iam going and to make sure I have enough steam to finish.  Any thoughts on this....and also do you wear them during the swim?

Most of the Tri shorts have adequate padding for the bike and fit fine under your wetsuit. Zoot and 2XU make some nice ones a  little spendy but lots of stuff going on sale recently so some decent buys out there. They would also last a couple of seasons or more hopefully. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18