BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-04-23 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
Hey guys....so I am looking for a interval training or speed training to help me get faster on my run.  I am currently doing a 2x a week program but want to increase my speed on my run so I am adding a 3rd running day.  I don't even know where to look for a training like that.  Can you help me?

Other than that so glad it is Friday.  Got my workout in and am looking forward to a nice BBQ with some friends tonight.

2010-04-23 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2811807

User image

Expert
South Jersey
debbiereid06 - 2010-04-23 7:59 AM Hey guys....so I am looking for a interval training or speed training to help me get faster on my run.  I am currently doing a 2x a week program but want to increase my speed on my run so I am adding a 3rd running day.  I don't even know where to look for a training like that.  Can you help me?

Other than that so glad it is Friday.  Got my workout in and am looking forward to a nice BBQ with some friends tonight.
  I will typically do 4 minutes hard and 2 minutes easy or 3 hard and 90 seconds easy.  I also like to do half miles hard with stretching, core work, or strength training in between.  My fave workout from my trainer was 1 minute sprints on the treadmill or around the basketball court in the gym with strength training in between each sprints.  If I do on the treadmill, I think I start on 6.5 and go up .2 every 3 sprints.
2010-04-23 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2812143

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Mrschach - 2010-04-23 10:02 AM
debbiereid06 - 2010-04-23 7:59 AM Hey guys....so I am looking for a interval training or speed training to help me get faster on my run.  I am currently doing a 2x a week program but want to increase my speed on my run so I am adding a 3rd running day.  I don't even know where to look for a training like that.  Can you help me?

I will typically do 4 minutes hard and 2 minutes easy or 3 hard and 90 seconds easy.  I also like to do half miles hard with stretching, core work, or strength training in between.  My fave workout from my trainer was 1 minute sprints on the treadmill or around the basketball court in the gym with strength training in between each sprints.  If I do on the treadmill, I think I start on 6.5 and go up .2 every 3 sprints.

Here's what I do for interval training:  run in Milwaukee anytime between 10am-5pm!!!  I ran today, and I wasn't tired at all because I literally had to stop at every light!  That's NEVER happened before!  And then Nadie had to go to the bathroom like 3 times, which were three more stops.  But hey, great intervals!  Run a block, wait 30 seconds, run a block, wait 30 seconds.  Laughing

But seriously, I was mad that I got stopped so much today.  I wish there was a better place to run to for me.  Once I get to the park, it's fine, but the park is like 3/4 of a mile away, and when my runs are only like 2-2.3 miles, that's a lot of city running!  Ughhh. 

Have a good day!
2010-04-23 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Tim...good luck on your 10k tomorrow!  Can't wait to hear you hit your goal pace!  Cheri....good luck with the 1/2 marathon?  Is this your first one?  Courtney...good luck with the tri!  I can't wait to hear all about them!!
2010-04-23 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2811807

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I would be very cautious about adding any intervals at this point of your training (a lot of running injuries come from intervals).  You really should work on building up your base miles and I agree with running 3x a week.  As you build your base and just run more, you will see improvements in your speed.  As for what you can do on your runs...run #1 can be shorter but faster (maybe 2mi).  Concentrate on good form throughout and push just hard enough but still be able to finish at a good pace.  Throw in some good stretching or core work on those days.  Or run some hills on this day.  Run #2 can be a tempo run...run 1mi at a warmup pace, then run mile 2 at a faster pace, then mile 3 at a cooldown pace.  This is one continuous run, no stopping.  Run #3 should be a long easy run, maybe 4mi. 

This gets you a run of 2, 3, and 4mi per week.  Not sure if these distances are too easy or hard for you, so you can adjust the miles to better fit where you are at.  Do something like this for 3-4 weeks minimum, increasing the miles as you get better.  Once you do this for a while, you can eventually switch run #1 into an interval day while keeping the other 2 days the same.  Get with me if you would like to try to set up something more specific.

2010-04-23 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Thanks for all the well wishes!  Although I am just using this race as a training day (didn't do any taper or anything), I still feel good about my chances and hope I can report back some good news!  My main goal is to beat an 8:45 pace, my "I would be very happy" goal is an 8:30 pace, and my "I would be ecstatic" goal is 8:15.  

2010-04-23 6:03 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I just realized that my best friend is driving to Nashville this weekend to do the same half-mary as Cheri!  I never put the two together. 

Oh well, I know she's already left, but good luck to both of them!  And everybody else racing this weekend!
2010-04-24 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I got 'er done!  Finished the race with an 8:19 pace!  Was at an 8:14 going into the last mile or so, then the course went uphill almost to the finish.  Very tough and slowed me down a bit, but I am super excited about my time!  Set my PR by over 2.5min!  Check out my race report.

Time to go celebrate with some free BBQ at a local cook-off!

Edited by chichitao 2010-04-24 10:40 AM
2010-04-24 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2813763

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-04-24 10:39 AM I got 'er done!  Finished the race with an 8:19 pace!  Was at an 8:14 going into the last mile or so, then the course went uphill almost to the finish.  Very tough and slowed me down a bit, but I am super excited about my time!  Set my PR by over 2.5min!  Check out my race report.

Way to go!!!  Enjoy the rest of your day
2010-04-24 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2813763

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
chichitao - 2010-04-24 10:39 AM I got 'er done!  Finished the race with an 8:19 pace!  Was at an 8:14 going into the last mile or so, then the course went uphill almost to the finish.  Very tough and slowed me down a bit, but I am super excited about my time!  Set my PR by over 2.5min!  Check out my race report.

GREAT JOB!!!  Congrats on such an awesome pace!  Eat some yummy bbq for me!
2010-04-24 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
So I know Tim accomplished his goals for the week.  I will hit 20 miles today when I get my run in.  How bout the rest of you?

2010-04-24 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2813856

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Mrschach - 2010-04-24 12:02 PM So I know Tim accomplished his goals for the week.  I will hit 20 miles today when I get my run in.  How bout the rest of you?

Meggan - Congrats on 20 miles!!!  That seems like so much running to me!

I hit my goal, too!!!  I actually got in all 6 workouts this week, more than the 5 I was hoping for!  Unfortunately, this is going to be my goal next week also, and I'm not making ANY guarantees with an exam Tuesday and another Friday.  I've lost 4 POUNDS, too!!!  I'm scared to gain them back, so I'm being super careful about time management.

Speaking of which, back to the books....

Have a good day!
2010-04-24 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Way to go on the goals Meggan!

And Erica, great news on the weight loss!

Just for some motivation...don't think I've been running these 8-8:30 paces for a while.  I hit them briefly the past 2 summers but nothing like what I am doing now on such a consistent basis.  Just for a point of reference, when I decided to do triathlons about 3 years ago my runs were in the 10-11 min pace range.  I just want everyone to know that with some consistent and hard work you can get there too.  The more good results you see the more it motivates you do try and do even better!
2010-04-24 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2814148

User image

Expert
South Jersey
SoccerGK - 2010-04-24 3:57 PM
Mrschach - 2010-04-24 12:02 PM So I know Tim accomplished his goals for the week.  I will hit 20 miles today when I get my run in.  How bout the rest of you?

Meggan - Congrats on 20 miles!!!  That seems like so much running to me!

I hit my goal, too!!!  I actually got in all 6 workouts this week, more than the 5 I was hoping for!  Unfortunately, this is going to be my goal next week also, and I'm not making ANY guarantees with an exam Tuesday and another Friday.  I've lost 4 POUNDS, too!!!  I'm scared to gain them back, so I'm being super careful about time management.

Speaking of which, back to the books....

Have a good day!
  Don't say "unfortunately!"  My goal next week is 20 miles again.  I can't increase the recommended 10% per week.  This is my first time really building a base for a marathon plan.  I am going to do another week at 20 and then 2 weeks at 22.  If I do 2 weeks at each increment, that will put me at 30 miles a week going into the 20 week plan I will start in July.  This is my plan unless someone has a better idea for me!
2010-04-24 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2814168

Tim-That is AWESOME! I am so proud for you! Well, of you and for you. Thanks for adding that you havent always been this fast as it helps me because I struggle with slowness. I am really glad that you did so well. Makes all the training seem worth it!
2010-04-24 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran

Tim-great job on the race.  That is awesome you set a new record for yourself.  Also thanks for the tips for the running.  I think that sounds like a good plan to me.  I don't know if I can do 4 or not, I haven't done it in  a while.  I will try it next week hopefully

I didn't meet my goal this week   I had every intention on biking today and it just didn't happen and I am so exhausted mentally and physically that I can barely move.  I helped my dad move out of the house I grew up in today and it took way longer than we thought.  I will get my workout in tomorrow though.  I did buy a seat cover for the bike though. 

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

2010-04-24 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Totally random post, but I'm super excited about it:

I just ordered my first pair of tri shorts and a tri jersey!  I ordered them from Aevero because I've heard about their great customer service here, and it's true!  The owner said they'd send me two pairs of shorts (because I'm in between sizes) to try on, and he's sending a pre-paid envelope, so I can return the pair that doesn't fit as well free of cost!  So I got a jersey and shorts for $42.  I'm PUMPED! 

After wearing Ryan's biking shorts this morning, I never want to NOT wear a pair again.  Yay!

Ok, now I'm studying for real...
2010-04-25 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Hey everyone...  So, I've been kinda an absentee group member for a while now...  But I'm back.  I have had an extremely busy couple of weeks.  Work is going crazy, I'm considering a change in profession, location, etc.  Going back to school for a couple of years, and taking a pay cut, seem like minor inconveniences for not enjoying going to work in the morning.  I'm considering going back to school for Personal Training, actually.  If anyone here has any experience in that, please let me know!  The more people I talk to, the better!

So I've had a minor setback this week.  I went for a run and a bike on Wednesday, and I woke up with what I thought was a stress fracture on Thursday morning.  I was barely able to walk.  Luckily, I don't think it IS a stress fracture, because it seems to get better overnight, and then feel worse as the day goes on (and it gets used more...), so I think it's muscular.  It's not ideal, but it IS better than a stress fracture.  My plan is to take it easy and get it better.  I'm heading back to Toronto next weekend, and the weekend after, and I am hoping to go on a few LONG bike rides with my friend/mentor there.  Hopefully I am able to!  Also, on the 11th, I have my swim lesson!  I am really excited about that, and nervous, too, since I haven't swam in YEARS.  Hopefully all goes well!  I'm going to be going swimming both times I'm in Toronto, as well...

Congrats to everyone, whether you managed to reach your goals, or came up a little bit short.  It doesn't matter.  The effort is what counts!  Soon, we will all be running like Tim  :P

My goals for this week are to 1) have my foot heal.  If it's not better by Tuesday, I'm going to a doctor.  2)  If my foot gets better, average 3km/day running and 12.5kims/day biking (since i only plan on doing each one every 2nd day...).  I don't know the imperial conversions, sorry  :P  3) eat well when I am back in Toronto.  I know my parents' house is where I have a lot of bad habits in terms of eating, and I find that whenever I am back there, I fall back into the same habits.  I will NOT constantly snack, and if I do, it WILL be healthy.  I really have to focus hard on that one.  No matter what, I have a difficult time eating well while I'm there.

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and has a stellar week!

BTW, Courtney, how did your race go yesterday?  Did anyone else have a race this weekend?  How did it go for you guys?
2010-04-25 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Good work everyone on your goals and races.

Way to go Tim on your PB!  You have worked hard for that and the hard work has paid off!

I'm a half hour off on my weekly goal of riding for at least 90 minutes, my only excuse being that the weather forcasts for the week were completely off and I don't seem to have the mental strength to pull off more than 30 minutes on the trainer these days. 

Heading into my taper week, did a slowish 9km this morning and then went for brunch with my hubby's running group. Took the dog out and now going to have a little downtime. 
2010-04-25 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2815177

User image

Expert
South Jersey
corstan - 2010-04-25 2:46 PM Good work everyone on your goals and races.

Way to go Tim on your PB!  You have worked hard for that and the hard work has paid off!

I'm a half hour off on my weekly goal of riding for at least 90 minutes, my only excuse being that the weather forcasts for the week were completely off and I don't seem to have the mental strength to pull off more than 30 minutes on the trainer these days. 

Heading into my taper week, did a slowish 9km this morning and then went for brunch with my hubby's running group. Took the dog out and now going to have a little downtime. 
  Are you excited about your first half marathon?
2010-04-25 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2815548

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-04-25 4:54 PM

I am actually, I went into this clinic just to learn to run longer distances with some guidance, and then got talked into actually running the 1/2 and being someones pace bunny and now I have developed a real love for running and am considering doing a full marathon in November.    So a big YES to looking forward to my first half!

2010-04-25 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2815556

User image

Expert
South Jersey
corstan - 2010-04-25 7:00 PM
Mrschach - 2010-04-25 4:54 PM

I am actually, I went into this clinic just to learn to run longer distances with some guidance, and then got talked into actually running the 1/2 and being someones pace bunny and now I have developed a real love for running and am considering doing a full marathon in November.    So a big YES to looking forward to my first half!

I would be thrilled if you do a full in November!!!  We can cyber train together!
2010-04-25 7:29 PM

User image

Regular
My race went really well actually!!! I was albe to shave 5 minutes off my time, compared to my last sprint... and this one was longer!!! So it went really well for me. I ran a sub 10 min/mile, which is where my coach wanted me to be... and I think that overall the race went really well. I am posting pics today in my album if you guys want to check them out!!!

I can't wait for my next Tri on May 15th... but I am nervous becasue it is my first Oly... and it's a tough course anyway!!!

I have a really busy week this week with Finals... and a 5k on Saturday :D  I really can't wait to just make it through this week so I can finally dedicate more time to training. :D

I hope everyone had a great weekend and did well in their races!

Love you all!!!  Thanks so much for the encouragement.

p.s. I put a race report up too!
2010-04-25 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2815613

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Tri.me2010 - 2010-04-25 5:29 PM My race went really well actually!!! I was albe to shave 5 minutes off my time, compared to my last sprint... and this one was longer!!! So it went really well for me. I ran a sub 10 min/mile, which is where my coach wanted me to be... and I think that overall the race went really well. I am posting pics today in my album if you guys want to check them out!!!

I can't wait for my next Tri on May 15th... but I am nervous becasue it is my first Oly... and it's a tough course anyway!!!

I have a really busy week this week with Finals... and a 5k on Saturday :D  I really can't wait to just make it through this week so I can finally dedicate more time to training. :D

I hope everyone had a great weekend and did well in their races!

Love you all!!!  Thanks so much for the encouragement.

p.s. I put a race report up too!

Excellent work!  good luck with finals and you can reward all your hard work at school with more training.
2010-04-26 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Awesome job on the race and improvements, Courtney! 

Hopefully Cheri will have a good report from her half mary.

Pete, welcome back!   Hey, no apologies...we all have very busy lives and sometimes (no matter how hard we try) lives keep getting in the way of training!  The key is to work out a balance that fits you and your life.  And I totally feel ya on the eating bad when back with the parents.  My mom always wants to make my childhood favorites and it has taken some time for me to finally convince her not to make that stuff anymore.  She still can't seem to stop making dessert though!  Sorry to hear about the foot...take it very easy.

Just to pass this on...Ruth will no longer be a part of this group.  She let me know that she is just too busy to get on the website with any consistency and keep up with her logs and with everyone in the group.  That is completely understandable and I wished her all the best.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103