BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-06-07 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hi Everyone,

So I had my race yesterday and it went pretty well.  It was a really tough course and the conditions were pretty rough (it rained the entire race) but I finished in 5:04.  I was shooting for under 5 hours, but I'm still pretty happy.  When you have a chance, check out my race report.

How's everyone's training going?

2010-06-07 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2906939

Woodstock
hockeyhands - 2010-06-07 9:16 PM Hi Everyone,

So I had my race yesterday and it went pretty well.  It was a really tough course and the conditions were pretty rough (it rained the entire race) but I finished in 5:04.  I was shooting for under 5 hours, but I'm still pretty happy.  When you have a chance, check out my race report.

How's everyone's training going?

Hi Colin,
I just read your report, and that sounded like a tough day with the rain coming down throughout the event.  I've also never heard of a speed limit being imposed on a downhill section.  Was that because of the weather or had they decided on it prior to the weekend?  I'm glad you were able to get the race done, though, and get close to your goal.  In those conditions, I think I would have missed my goal by a mile. 
Congratulations!
Russ

Edited by GA Tri(er) 2010-06-07 9:54 PM
2010-06-07 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH

Colin
My pre mini race went pretty good times are in the forum... I did a nice easy swim for 25 minutes today, plan on swimming, biking tomorrow,what else should I do this week for my taper I do my first ever tri  this Sunday...
Thanks
Tim

Hey Tim,

Wow, I know I checked out your planned taper and could have sworn I wrote a post to you about it, but I'm not seeing it.  I sincerely apologize about that!

I would definitely made some adjustments to your taper.  I do not recommend taking 3 full days off before the race.  Based off your planned training listed on your logs, I would cut your swim tomorrow down to about 30 minutes, then cut the bike to 40 minutes on Wednesday and the 23 min run should be OK, but not any longer.  Are you planning to brick that?  If you go VERY easy on the run, I think that would be a good idea.  I would recommend taking Thursday off, doing a 10-15 min swim on Friday with 3 15-20 speed bursts, and then a 10-15 min ride on Saturday with 3 20" (" = seconds) spans at race pace and a 5-10 minute run with 2 20" spans at race pace.

How does that sound?  Once again VERY sorry about not posting this earlier, but I remember typing this info in so I don't know where it went.  Please don't hesitate with any questions.
2010-06-08 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2907180

User image

Veteran
Georgia
hockeyhands - 2010-06-07 11:03 PM
Colin
My pre mini race went pretty good times are in the forum... I did a nice easy swim for 25 minutes today, plan on swimming, biking tomorrow,what else should I do this week for my taper I do my first ever tri  this Sunday...
Thanks
Tim

Hey Tim,

Wow, I know I checked out your planned taper and could have sworn I wrote a post to you about it, but I'm not seeing it.  I sincerely apologize about that!

I would definitely made some adjustments to your taper.  I do not recommend taking 3 full days off before the race.  Based off your planned training listed on your logs, I would cut your swim tomorrow down to about 30 minutes, then cut the bike to 40 minutes on Wednesday and the 23 min run should be OK, but not any longer.  Are you planning to brick that?  If you go VERY easy on the run, I think that would be a good idea.  I would recommend taking Thursday off, doing a 10-15 min swim on Friday with 3 15-20 speed bursts, and then a 10-15 min ride on Saturday with 3 20" (" = seconds) spans at race pace and a 5-10 minute run with 2 20" spans at race pace.

How does that sound?  Once again VERY sorry about not posting this earlier, but I remember typing this info in so I don't know where it went.  Please don't hesitate with any questions.

Colin that sounds good I missed my bike session yesterday so I will do an easy 30 min swim and bike today, then follow your guidelines for the rest of the week..
Thanks
Tim
2010-06-08 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Colin
Sorry for the bad weather you had during your race, but to be able to do and improve deserves a pat on the back... Congrats
Tim 1
2010-06-08 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Update for today: swam 31'37 1650 yards in OWS and rode 1hr 44 min. tonight..

Hope everyone's training is going well

What are some suggestion for pre-race nutrition, my race begins at 7:00am Sunday with transition opening at 5:00a.m. I will have to wake around 3:30 am and drive to the site to arrive at the time transition opens...

Also I'm looking for a computer for my bike I've had a kurt kinectic didn't work, have the bike pod for my suunto but it has a mind of its own so I'm very disappointed... thought about getting a sigma, looking for your thoughts.. Thanks

Tim

2010-06-09 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2909831

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-08 10:20 PM Update for today: swam 31'37 1650 yards in OWS and rode 1hr 44 min. tonight..

What are some suggestion for pre-race nutrition, my race begins at 7:00am Sunday with transition opening at 5:00a.m. I will have to wake around 3:30 am and drive to the site to arrive at the time transition opens...

Also I'm looking for a computer for my bike I've had a kurt kinectic didn't work, have the bike pod for my suunto but it has a mind of its own so I'm very disappointed... thought about getting a sigma, looking for your thoughts.. Thanks

Tim

Thanks a lot Tim!

For your race nutrition, I recommend keeping things very lite.  However, you want to stick to what you're normally do and eat.  So what have you been eating before your longer training sessions?

I've heard pretty good things about Sigmas.  What kind of features are you looking for in the computer?  You can get some pretty cheap ones at your LBS depending on what features you need.
2010-06-09 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2910768

User image

Expert
MI
Okay, now another problem has popped up.  My wrist hurts.  (haha!!  it's no laughing matter but this is getting a bit ridiculous lol.)  I believe it is from pressing down on the origin of my old injury so much.  But that is just my theory.  And now I cannot perform normal functions without it hurting such as lifting up items that aren't even heavy, twisting jars open, etc!!  Even typing to an extent.  And.  I made it worse by biking, ha!!  The uneven roads put extra pressure on my wrist from when I was grabbing the handlebars.  So for my next few "rides" I think I'll be hitting the stationary bike so my wrists will not be affected.  This situation is really quite laughable.

On the bright side, my old injury that flared up during my half marathon (hamstring tendonitis) I think is progressing quite nicely.  It is improving quicker than I imagined, so that is good.  The foot I hurt with the chair I guess is doing fine, I'm still trying not to walk on it.  So I'll be cutting out running for the time being, which is fine, because it's also a good excuse to do some extra swimming and biking which could use improvement.

Colin, I found it to be interesting that you implemented the run/walk strategy during the run portion of your HIM... I remember you said you heard someone talking about that at your coaching thing, can you talk more about that?  I'm not sure if this is too open-ended of a question, but I'm wondering if maybe that's something I'll want to try out for my HIM.  Maybe for starters, how much running with how much walking?  Thanks!
2010-06-09 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2909831

User image

Expert
MI
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-08 10:20 PM Update for today: swam 31'37 1650 yards in OWS and rode 1hr 44 min. tonight..

Tim

As they say, everyone is different, but what worked for me before my half-marathon... about three hours before the race I had oatmeal and a bagel with cream cheese.  I also drank gatorade (I say to make sure I've got the electrolytes in me...) and water.
2010-06-10 8:32 PM

So this is the second week in a row that I have rode my bike to work about 15 miles.  The good news is the ride is getting much easier and am getting faster each week, however this week, I nearly had a head on crash with another cyclist.  I was coming around an sharp S curve and I slowed down but the other cyclist took the curve wide I swerved and hit the dirt rut and barely saved the bike. (Thanks to the core muscles).  Then I am turning left at a light less than a quarter mile from my work.  I am in the turn lane, therefore I am a car.  As I was turning I was working my way towards the bike lane when the car behind me tried to pass of my left.  His bumper was 6 inches away from my right foot/leg.  He was apologetic.

I guess my point here is be careful.
2010-06-10 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2911672

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-06-09 4:21 PM Okay, now another problem has popped up.  My wrist hurts.  (haha!!  it's no laughing matter but this is getting a bit ridiculous lol.)  I believe it is from pressing down on the origin of my old injury so much.  But that is just my theory.  And now I cannot perform normal functions without it hurting such as lifting up items that aren't even heavy, twisting jars open, etc!!  Even typing to an extent.  And.  I made it worse by biking, ha!!  The uneven roads put extra pressure on my wrist from when I was grabbing the handlebars.  So for my next few "rides" I think I'll be hitting the stationary bike so my wrists will not be affected.  This situation is really quite laughable.

On the bright side, my old injury that flared up during my half marathon (hamstring tendonitis) I think is progressing quite nicely.  It is improving quicker than I imagined, so that is good.  The foot I hurt with the chair I guess is doing fine, I'm still trying not to walk on it.  So I'll be cutting out running for the time being, which is fine, because it's also a good excuse to do some extra swimming and biking which could use improvement.

Colin, I found it to be interesting that you implemented the run/walk strategy during the run portion of your HIM... I remember you said you heard someone talking about that at your coaching thing, can you talk more about that?  I'm not sure if this is too open-ended of a question, but I'm wondering if maybe that's something I'll want to try out for my HIM.  Maybe for starters, how much running with how much walking?  Thanks!

Hey Samantha,

Sounds like you need to either take a break from the bike or the stationary bike route if that allows some pain free riding.  It too bad that you have this injury because you could use some time in the saddle, but that's ok.  It's more important to get healthy.  I hope all your injuries heal asap!

As for the run walk method, yes, I am definitely a big advocate of the this.  It worked well for me and I intend to continue to use it.  For more information about it, please click here.  The link is to Bobby McGee's blog who was the speaker that influenced me to use this method.  Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts.

2010-06-10 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2914656

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Slowboy3094 - 2010-06-10 9:32 PM So this is the second week in a row that I have rode my bike to work about 15 miles.  The good news is the ride is getting much easier and am getting faster each week, however this week, I nearly had a head on crash with another cyclist.  I was coming around an sharp S curve and I slowed down but the other cyclist took the curve wide I swerved and hit the dirt rut and barely saved the bike. (Thanks to the core muscles).  Then I am turning left at a light less than a quarter mile from my work.  I am in the turn lane, therefore I am a car.  As I was turning I was working my way towards the bike lane when the car behind me tried to pass of my left.  His bumper was 6 inches away from my right foot/leg.  He was apologetic.

I guess my point here is be careful.

Your absolutely right Chris!  You have to be extremely careful out there on the open road and always be prepared for the unexpected.  The close to collision with the other cyclist surprises me a little, but not surprised at all about the car.  At least he apologized as you typically won't even get that.

On the positive, its really great you're getting these extra miles it.  It should really help and it just a great thing to do.  Keep up all the awesome work Chris!!!
2010-06-10 8:55 PM

The S turn is really short with a blind corners on a paved bike trail that is overgrown so, I know it is a tricky corner but thank goodness nothing happened. 
2010-06-10 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Colin
I'm looking at getting a Garmin 310xt do you have the cadence pod for your bike? Also did a 40 min. ride yesterday with a short easy run afterwards... going to do a short swim on Friday, then short bike and run on Saturday as you suggested... My goal for this race will be to finish I have plenty of hours logged been at it since Jan. of this year so I feel like I have a good base, then we can start working on getting faster..Thanks for all the info and for being a great mentor keep!!

Tim(1)
2010-06-11 7:02 AM
in reply to: #2914716

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-10 10:05 PM Colin
I'm looking at getting a Garmin 310xt do you have the cadence pod for your bike? Also did a 40 min. ride yesterday with a short easy run afterwards... going to do a short swim on Friday, then short bike and run on Saturday as you suggested... My goal for this race will be to finish I have plenty of hours logged been at it since Jan. of this year so I feel like I have a good base, then we can start working on getting faster..Thanks for all the info and for being a great mentor keep!!

Tim(1)

Right on Tim!

I am very confident your ready.  Just remember all the hard work you've done and know that it is going to push you through and allow you to kick some butt on Sunday!  The only other advice I have is to try not to go out too hard on the swim.  First timers are very infamous for letting their adrenaline get the best of them at the start.

Very cool about the 310xt!  You're going to LOVE IT!  Yes, I do have the cadence pod for my bike.  It is very helpful for getting your cadence, but is also great if you ride indoors on a trainer at times.  I would recommend getting one if you can.

Let us know if you have any last minute questions, but you're going to be great on Sunday Tim!  Let us know how it goes!!!
2010-06-12 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Update before event:  7:30 am rode bike with 20-30 sec. speed burst, then right into a run for 15 min. the countdown is on..game time in the morning... Going to pick up packet today around noon.. Hope everyone has a great weekend...

T1

2010-06-13 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Alright friends I can now call myself a triathlete....Laughing I completed my first tri in 2 hours 53 minutes... I will do a post race report later.  Hope everything is going well for everyone...

Tim (1)
2010-06-13 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2918740

Woodstock
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-13 5:28 PM Alright friends I can now call myself a triathlete....Laughing I completed my first tri in 2 hours 53 minutes... I will do a post race report later.  Hope everything is going well for everyone...

Tim (1)

Congrats, Tim!  Can't wait to read all about it.  --Russ
2010-06-14 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2919147

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
GA Tri(er) - 2010-06-13 9:59 PM
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-13 5:28 PM Alright friends I can now call myself a triathlete....Laughing I completed my first tri in 2 hours 53 minutes... I will do a post race report later.  Hope everything is going well for everyone...

Tim (1)

Congrats, Tim!  Can't wait to read all about it.  --Russ

x2 Tim!  Congratulations!  That is awesome.  Let us know when you've posted your race report.  I look forward to reading it.  Way to TRIATHLETE!
2010-06-14 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Colin

I signed up with some friends to do a little sprint this weekend, 400 yard swim, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run... What should I do this week as far as training?? Thanks

Tim 1
2010-06-14 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Here is my race report I hope I did it right.thanks for all the support!!
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=212965

Tim 1

2010-06-15 7:42 AM
in reply to: #2921748

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-14 10:18 PM Colin

I signed up with some friends to do a little sprint this weekend, 400 yard swim, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run... What should I do this week as far as training?? Thanks

Tim 1

Wow Tim!  You didn't get enough last weekend, huh?  Haha, that's awesome!!!  How's your body feeling now?  Are you still sore?  If so, I would rest at least until tomorrow.  After that, I would recommend a 45-1 hour bike ride Wednesday, a 30 min run on Thursday, off on Friday, and then a very short swim, bike, and run on Saturday (assuming the race is on Sunday).
2010-06-15 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2921902

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-15 12:00 AM Here is my race report I hope I did it right.thanks for all the support!!

Tim 1

You had one heck of a race Tim!  I posted my comments on your race report so please check them out.  My only suggestion for next time would be to discuss your nutrition a little more in your race report.  Did you have an GI issues?  What did eat before and during the race?  These factors are quite important and since you didn't complain about them, everything probably went pretty well, but documenting this stuff could help you down the road.
2010-06-15 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2922189

User image

Veteran
Georgia
hockeyhands - 2010-06-15 8:42 AM
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-14 10:18 PM Colin

Tim 1

Wow Tim!  You didn't get enough last weekend, huh?  Haha, that's awesome!!!  How's your body feeling now?  Are you still sore?  If so, I would rest at least until tomorrow.  After that, I would recommend a 45-1 hour bike ride Wednesday, a 30 min run on Thursday, off on Friday, and then a very short swim, bike, and run on Saturday (assuming the race is on Sunday).

Yeah I've got the tri bug... Still a little sore in the quads other than that I'm good to go..

Tim 1
2010-06-15 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2922194

User image

Veteran
Georgia
hockeyhands - 2010-06-15 8:45 AM
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-15 12:00 AM Here is my race report I hope I did it right.thanks for all the support!!

Tim 1

You had one heck of a race Tim!  I posted my comments on your race report so please check them out.  My only suggestion for next time would be to discuss your nutrition a little more in your race report.  Did you have an GI issues?  What did eat before and during the race?  These factors are quite important and since you didn't complain about them, everything probably went pretty well, but documenting this stuff could help you down the road.

Okay race started at 7:15 am, at 4:00am I had prepared 1/2 cup oatmeal and 4 boiled eggs also consumed 32 ounces of water on the drive to the event and walking to setup transition, around 6:15am I drank a gatorade pro 01 it had 85 grams of carbs/42g sugar pretty tasty... While waiting for my swim start I took one hammer gel at 7:30am being the swim was time trial start... One hour later at 8:30 I had another hammer gel on the bike, then at 9:30 I had another hammer gel ending bike ride, I consumed 20 ounces of water and a gatorade pro 02 during the bike ride, during halfway of the run I had another hammer gel and grab water at the aid station along the way... about one mile left in the run I felt a little cramp in my right back side, other than that I felt really good, after the race I consumed a banana,watermelon,and 3 cookies along with 2 bottles of water...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24