BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-06-04 4:53 AM
in reply to: #2900385

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
BEST OF LUCK TO THIS WEEKEND'S RACERS!!!

Denise is going to her FIRST tri!!  Absorb the ambience, Denise, and accept the addiction, ha ha!!  I know you'll be nervous, but once you get started you'll calm down, just race your race, can't wait to hear about it.  Where else but in the tri world can you hear every detail about the "first time"!! LOL!

Kory had her 3rd tri in like, 5 days or something, she's a racing machine!!  Go get 'em Kory!!

So proud of all of you.... I feel like such a mama hen....

2010-06-04 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2778561

Veteran
Grrrrr . . . it has been raining in Oregon quite literally for weeks. This is ALREADY one of the rainiest June's on record and we aren't even a week in. They just published a notice that we won't be able to park anywhere near the transition zone for my tri tomorrow. It is on grass (read currently mud) and they think too many cars will get stuck, so we have to park over 1 1/2 mi away. They say we can drop off our bikes tonight, but I really don't want my bike to sit out in the mud and rain all night. The lake is also known for a rather gross problem of occasional raw sewage overflow during times of extreme rain (thus all of Portland is getting new sewage pipes). All in all it is making this tri much less appealing.

I did two tris at this site last year and loved both of them. It is a great flat course, but between the rain, mud, and sewage I can't imagine it being much fun. The run is nice and grassy usually, but I think it will be a slippery, mucky mess.

Unfortunate!

k
2010-06-04 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2901019

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Oh crap!  I somehow missed that Peggy is racing too!!  Travelling to Georgia and everything...

So that's 3 tri-mamas going to kick some tri @$$!!!! 

Kory, almost sounds like the Warrior Dash with all the mud!  YUK on raw sewage, SERIOUSLY??  Gargle with listerine when you get home!  And you can count the mile and a half walk with your bike to the race set up as a warm up!  I've had a couple that the parking was a good walk away...
2010-06-04 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Go MMM racers! I know you'll all do great! :CHEER:
2010-06-04 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Best of luck to all of the racers this weekend.  Can't wait to read the reports.  I have a question for the group:

My tri class is breaking the swimmers into 3 groups.  At the last meeting I found myself really struggling to go 500 yards in open water.  Aparently I depend on the end of  each lap to catch a bit of a break.  The coach has defined the 3 groups as:

Group 1 is those who can swim 1000'+ in the pool.
Group 2 is those who can swim 500-1000' 
Group 3 is those who stuggle to make 500...'.

Where should I seed myself?  I was thinking group 2 but then I was wondering about group 3.  Any advice you guys can give me?
2010-06-04 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2901019

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
kellekl - 2010-06-04 11:27 AM Grrrrr . . . it has been raining in Oregon quite literally for weeks. This is ALREADY one of the rainiest June's on record and we aren't even a week in. They just published a notice that we won't be able to park anywhere near the transition zone for my tri tomorrow. It is on grass (read currently mud) and they think too many cars will get stuck, so we have to park over 1 1/2 mi away. They say we can drop off our bikes tonight, but I really don't want my bike to sit out in the mud and rain all night. The lake is also known for a rather gross problem of occasional raw sewage overflow during times of extreme rain (thus all of Portland is getting new sewage pipes). All in all it is making this tri much less appealing. I did two tris at this site last year and loved both of them. It is a great flat course, but between the rain, mud, and sewage I can't imagine it being much fun. The run is nice and grassy usually, but I think it will be a slippery, mucky mess. Unfortunate! k

I had the swim portion of a race last year canceled due to the bacteria levels caused by sewage and runoff.  I'm sure they'll do the same for you, though I might start worrying if I saw any "soft logs" or tp floating by. 

2010-06-04 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
And, of course, best of luck to everyone racing this weekend - you all will do great (or Hilde might come beat you)!!
2010-06-04 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2901996

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
jcarmody - 2010-06-04 7:57 PM Best of luck to all of the racers this weekend.  Can't wait to read the reports.  I have a question for the group:

My tri class is breaking the swimmers into 3 groups.  At the last meeting I found myself really struggling to go 500 yards in open water.  Aparently I depend on the end of  each lap to catch a bit of a break.  The coach has defined the 3 groups as:

Where should I seed myself?  I was thinking group 2 but then I was wondering about group 3.  Any advice you guys can give me?

If you meet the criteria for group 3, which it sounds like you do, why not join it and give yourself the goal of moving up to group 2?  There's no shame in being what you are and looking to get better. 
2010-06-04 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2900328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
DENISE, ROCK IT GIRL!!!!!!  Best of luck!!  Can't wait to hear the outcome!

Edited by wsilverthorne 2010-06-04 10:22 PM
2010-06-04 11:39 PM
in reply to: #2901996

User image

jcarmody - 2010-06-04 7:57 PM Best of luck to all of the racers this weekend.  Can't wait to read the reports.  I have a question for the group:

I would go with group 2.  It sounds like you don't have as much of a problem in the pool and that's the criterium listed.  Meanwhile, during your practice swims, make a conscious effort not to pause at the end of each lap.

2010-06-05 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2902191

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Janet, maybe talk to your coach and see what he/she thinks.  To me it sounds like Group 3 would get you more endurance to get to the 500-1000 point.  But I hate to see you held back if Group 2 would actually be a better fit.  When you say you "struggled" to do 500 OWS, what did you mean... did you have to do other strokes, float awhile, or were you just tired?  You obviously have aerobic endurance from all your running, you just need to adapt those swim muscles and technique.  If you have to pick a group and then you are locked into it (ie can't move up), I'd pick group 2.  But otherwise, like Shawn said, start with 3 with the goal of moving up to 2 fairly quickly.

2010-06-05 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Hope all of our racers had better luck than the ones I went to watch today...I was a volunteer for a HIM/IM race this morning. The weather forecast wasn't good but they're wrong half the time anyway so I held out hope. Drove 1.5 hours in torrential rain and lightening to get there by 4:45am. Proceeded to get soaked writing numbers on people's arms and legs for about 1.5 hours out in the open (pouring rain, lightening) at which time they canceled the swim and shortened the bike due to part of the course being flooded. Kept on marking people with numbers for another 30 minutes when they postponed the start for an hour and told people to "take cover" (yeah, right....WHERE?) Then they said they'd make an announcement in an hour as to whether or not any of the race would be held at all. Most of the racers were leaving at this point and so did we. BUMMER! So sad for the race organizers and for the racers who put in all the physical and mental training time to end up not racing when they were primed to do so.

I SO hope this isn't the chain of events on either of my "big days"! I did get to chat with a lot of nice people, cruised through T1 to see how people had things set up, and scoped out some nice gear (things that, when I get good at this, maybe I'll spring for!) LOL!
2010-06-06 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
Hi from Pasadena, everyone!

So sorry to have been out of touch all week-- the WiFi availability was a bit patchy, but I've updated my logs so you can see I wasn't *completely* inactive all week. Did my first bike ride early this morning here (before the heat and the traffic really kicked in), which was great, though I'm still intimidated by the local hills! I'm hoping to be able to join in the local tri club's newbie training events while I'm here, though, so maybe I'll get better at them. My first tri of the summer is a week away (gulp!), and though I'm already nervous, I'm planning to go and just have a good time-- after all, how often to I get to race in Southern California? (Answer: not often-- I get to England far more often, oddly enough!)

YAY for this weekend's MMM racers! Hope you all enjoyed yourselves immensely and didn't get rained out or upset by tornadoes or anything!

Alex
2010-06-06 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
So it's T minus 2 weeks until my first TRI - I'm excited but starting to get nervouse about last minute details. My friend just sent me this message:

Here's what I'm thinking we need to have prepared for the race. Before we go we need to pump tires, lube chain, and tape gu to cross bar of our bike.

1. Tri-suit on
2. Cap(s) and goggles ready for the swim
3. T1 station set up with towel to dry off with, small towel and squirt water bottle for cleaning feet, rolled down socks, bike shoes, helmet, sunglasses, bike gloves (? do we take time for these?), gu taped to bike, water bottles loaded, bike pump
4. T2 station set up with running shoes, running skirt/belt with number attached
5. Power bar (or similar) just in case we need fuel
6. Change of clothes for after or t-shirt/sweatshirt to toss on if needed and flip flops/comfy shoes if we want them

Anything else?

Can you all think of anything else we need to be thinking about? We are going to pick up our packets/numbers the night before. I think we're going with no wetsuits - will make the final call when we get in the lake later this week to see how cold it is.

Question - since I am not totally comfortable with letting go of my handle bars to get my water bottle during a ride (i slow down a lot to do it) should I ride with a camel-back on? Or since it's a sprint, figure I'll be fine with the water I get at transitions (and a drink or 2 along the way if I can muster the courage to do it?) I always hydrate well before hand (I drink about 100 oz. of water per day regularly) but I don't want to be dehydrated at all because I know it can really effect your performance. Thoughts?

2010-06-06 9:59 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Everyone!!

I'm back from my VERY FIRST TRI!!! What an experience!!!  We got to Lake Lanier the day before and I picked up my race packet.  I did not sleep well at all.  My clock was set for 5:30 am but at 4:45 I got up and got ready.  My backpack was packed and ready to go the night before.  My trips to the bathroom began; my total before the race would be 6 times - seriously I couldn't believe I had any urine left in my bladder or stuff in my bowels but it kept coming.  My husband, with our little ones in tow, dropped me off  at 6:00 am.  I found a spot at the end of a row, by a tree and a big trash can; I have trouble finding my own minivan in a parking lot, so I knew I'd better find an easy way to help me find my bike. I went to get chipped and marked.  I set up my transition area just like the guy on the BT video on setting up your area said to.  

Paranoid that I would not make it to the swim area in time, I walked over to the start of the swim.  I wanted to vomit so badly.  The thought of getting into the lake was very unsettling.  The race started late and I was one of the later groups to start.  I got in and had trouble relaxing so my breathing was pretty shallow.  I touched something black but couldn't recognize what it was since I didn't have my glasses on, then came the lake version of seaweed and I wanted to die :-)  My mental chatter was deafening.  I gave myself the mental equivalent to a slap in the face.  I remembered that I chose this particular race because if I freaked out on the swim, I could stand up since the swim route hugged the coastline.  I stopped swimming, touched the ground, got my wits about me, and did the breast stroke.  I couldn't believe it when I finished the swim!

I walked to the transition area, it was a bit of a hike and on concrete, I didn't need to fall and open my wounds from my previous tumble. I got on the bike without falling - yeah!!  What a hilly course!  I was feeling okay until the first hill - OMG.  I pumped my legs as fast as I could go - I made it and I didn't get off the bike.  There were quite a few people getting off their bikes to walk them up the hill and I biked all of them.  Thank goodness for the training session on the bike trainer.  My legs were pretty spent after the bike ride.  I did Jeff Galloway run/walk intervals for the run.  My husband and daughters were waiting for me right before the finish line.

It was a very emotional time for me.  Six months ago I had reached a point of maximum disgust with myself; for many reasons, I needed to turn things around.  I signed up for this tri to challenge myself, to find forms of exercise that would fun and enduring.  I needed to overcome my fear of swimming and to learn how to ride a bike.  With my husband's support, we overhauled our pantry and made better food choices.  We've been losing weight together and our kids are mimicking our behavior with respect to our need for exercise.  I prepared myself as best as I could within the confines of having a full-time job, being a spouse and parent.  What did I gain?  So much more than the 2 hours and 3 minutes that it took me to finish the tri.   The tears were streaming down my face during the bike ride because I couldn't believe that I swam in that murky dark water and I was still on my bike when others were walking theirs up the hills.  I was on cloud 9 as I started my run.  On my last leg back to the finish line I passed 2 morbidly obese men and cheered them on because if my journey was hard, theirs was even harder.  I passed a little girl of about 10 years old (!!!!!) and cheered her on for she was truly an inspiration.  When I crossed the finish line and heard my name, I was sooooo happy.  I set out to challenge myself and in the process I found myself again.
2010-06-06 10:33 PM
in reply to: #2904120

User image

Regular
PTWykes - 2010-06-06 9:52 PM So it's T minus 2 weeks until my first TRI - I'm excited but starting to get nervouse about last minute details. My friend just sent me this message:

Here's what I'm thinking we need to have prepared for the race. Before we go we need to pump tires, lube chain, and tape gu to cross bar of our bike.

1. Tri-suit on
3. T1 station set up with towel to dry off with, small towel and squirt water bottle for cleaning feet, rolled down socks, bike shoes, helmet, sunglasses, bike gloves (? do we take time for these?), gu taped to bike, water bottles loaded, bike pump
4. T2 station set up with running shoes, running skirt/belt with number attached
6. Change of clothes for after or t-shirt/sweatshirt to toss on if needed and flip flops/comfy shoes if we want them

Anything else?

Can you all think of anything else we need to be thinking about? We are going to pick up our packets/numbers the night before. I think we're going with no wetsuits - will make the final call when we get in the lake later this week to see how cold it is.

Question - since I am not totally comfortable with letting go of my handle bars to get my water bottle during a ride (i slow down a lot to do it) should I ride with a camel-back on? Or since it's a sprint, figure I'll be fine with the water I get at transitions (and a drink or 2 along the way if I can muster the courage to do it?) I always hydrate well before hand (I drink about 100 oz. of water per day regularly) but I don't want to be dehydrated at all because I know it can really effect your performance. Thoughts?

Like you,  I am not comfortable getting my water bottle while biking. I gulped before and after my bike ride thinking I'd get water along the course during the run but THEY DID NOT HAVE WATER on the running course.  I was so thirsty during the run portion.  I'd contact the race director and ask if they will be providing water during the run portion.  If they are then the gulps before and after will get you through.  If not, than you my want to take the camelback because it's better than slowing down, or worse, falling off the bike. 

2010-06-07 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Denise -

OMG I am sooooo proud of you.  Loved your race report.   You are awesome!!

Hugs & Kisses (cuz you deserve them)
2010-06-07 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2905224

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Denise, you GO girl!!!!!!!!!!  You rocked your first... you'll do even better on the next one!!  I can't believe they didn't have water on the run, I've NEVER heard of that!!  Did you meet up with Peggy?  I am so proud of you!

DENISE IS A TRIATHLETE, Y'ALL!!
2010-06-07 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Way to go Denise! You certainly put the TRY in The TRI! You should be SO proud of yourself - you did great!
2010-06-07 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2904120

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
PTWykes - 2010-06-06 8:52 PM So it's T minus 2 weeks until my first TRI - I'm excited but starting to get nervouse about last minute details. My friend just sent me this message:

1. Tri-suit on

Anything else?

Marsha,  I did a detailed transition post awhile back, you can go back and check it out.  It's on this forum, not sure which page.  As far as water goes... for a sprint you should be okay on the bike without it, or you can try and find a system that has a straw that goes up to the handlebars.  I'm not sure if you have aerobars or not, I use a Profile Design bottle that mounts between them, I just have to lean over to take a sip.  Speedfill (I believe) makes a bottle system that mounts like a regular water bottle on your frame and then a long straw goes up to your handlebars.  I think Jen McConnell has one.

Let's see what else?  I wouldn't bother to towel off in T1... yes you'll be wet, but by the time you run to your bike, most of the excess water should be gone, and the rest will quickly dry once you get riding.   Same thing with dirt on your feet, most falls off by the time you get to your bike, you might just need a small towel to wipe them off quickly and then roll on your socks.  I wouldn't bother with bike gloves, in fact I don't wear them at all anymore, didn't seem to be a need and who needs another weird tan line!  T2, put your running shoes on TOP of your race belt w/ number attached, that way it won't blow away... I also have a hat and a small sweat towel that I take.  Doubt you'll need a Power Bar, GU on the bike should be plenty.  Here's my checklist, use it or adapt as you see fit!

SWIM:
Tri top and tri shorts
Wetsuit (if needed)
Cap
Goggles
Road ID or chip anklet
Crocs (or flip flops) (leave in T1 when going down to the swim start)

BIKE:
Glasses w/ sunglasses
Bike w/ race #
Helmet w/ race #
Bike shoes
Socks
Garmin and strap
Water bottle filled
GU or Shot Blox

RUN:
Running Shoes
Cap
Race belt w/ race #
Sweat towel
GU or other

OTHER:
Transition towel
Trash bags for rain
Air Pump (hand or car)
Change of clothes
Extra goggles
Directions to race site
Phone
Keys
Wallet
Pre-race food for car
Flashlight  (this is invaluable!!  Almost all of my transition setups have been in the dark!)

2010-06-07 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Thank you SO much for your input Hilde! I'll go back and find that old post (I vaguely remembered reading it but thought it was on the main boards so didn't know how to find it).

2010-06-07 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2904235

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
dajotkjo - 2010-06-06 10:59 PM Hi Everyone!!

I'm back from my VERY FIRST TRI!!! What an experience!!!  We got to Lake Lanier the day before and I picked up my race packet.  I did not sleep well at all.  My clock was set for 5:30 am but at 4:45 I got up and got ready.  My backpack was packed and ..

Denise, we are so proud of YOU!!!!  You did us all proud and what an amazing feeling you must have experienced.  I'm glad all the dedication, metal toughness and work paid off in the way it did, both physically and emotionally!!!

TRIATHLETE  = DENISE!! 
2010-06-07 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2904235

dajotkjo - 2010-06-06 9:59 PM Hi Everyone!!

I'm back from my VERY FIRST TRI!!! What an experience!!!  We got to Lake Lanier the day before and I picked up my race packet.  I did not sleep well at all.  My clock was set for 5:30 am but at 4:45 I got up and got ready.  My backpack was packed and ready to go the night before.  My trips to the bathroom began; my total before the race would be 6 times - seriously I couldn't believe I had any urine left in my bladder or stuff in my bowels but it kept coming.  My husband, with our little ones in tow, dropped me off  at 6:00 am.  I found a spot at the end of a row, by a tree and a big trash can; I have trouble finding my own minivan in a parking lot, so I knew I'd better find an easy way to help me find my bike. I went to get chipped and marked.  I set up my transition area just like the guy on the BT video on setting up your area said to.  

Paranoid that I would not make it to the swim area in time, I walked over to the start of the swim.  I wanted to vomit so badly.  The thought of getting into the lake was very unsettling.  The race started late and I was one of the later groups to start.  I got in and had trouble relaxing so my breathing was pretty shallow.  I touched something black but couldn't recognize what it was since I didn't have my glasses on, then came the lake version of seaweed and I wanted to die :-)  My mental chatter was deafening.  I gave myself the mental equivalent to a slap in the face.  I remembered that I chose this particular race because if I freaked out on the swim, I could stand up since the swim route hugged the coastline.  I stopped swimming, touched the ground, got my wits about me, and did the breast stroke.  I couldn't believe it when I finished the swim!

I walked to the transition area, it was a bit of a hike and on concrete, I didn't need to fall and open my wounds from my previous tumble. I got on the bike without falling - yeah!!  What a hilly course!  I was feeling okay until the first hill - OMG.  I pumped my legs as fast as I could go - I made it and I didn't get off the bike.  There were quite a few people getting off their bikes to walk them up the hill and I biked all of them.  Thank goodness for the training session on the bike trainer.  My legs were pretty spent after the bike ride.  I did Jeff Galloway run/walk intervals for the run.  My husband and daughters were waiting for me right before the finish line.

It was a very emotional time for me.  Six months ago I had reached a point of maximum disgust with myself; for many reasons, I needed to turn things around.  I signed up for this tri to challenge myself, to find forms of exercise that would fun and enduring.  I needed to overcome my fear of swimming and to learn how to ride a bike.  With my husband's support, we overhauled our pantry and made better food choices.  We've been losing weight together and our kids are mimicking our behavior with respect to our need for exercise.  I prepared myself as best as I could within the confines of having a full-time job, being a spouse and parent.  What did I gain?  So much more than the 2 hours and 3 minutes that it took me to finish the tri.   The tears were streaming down my face during the bike ride because I couldn't believe that I swam in that murky dark water and I was still on my bike when others were walking theirs up the hills.  I was on cloud 9 as I started my run.  On my last leg back to the finish line I passed 2 morbidly obese men and cheered them on because if my journey was hard, theirs was even harder.  I passed a little girl of about 10 years old (!!!!!) and cheered her on for she was truly an inspiration.  When I crossed the finish line and heard my name, I was sooooo happy.  I set out to challenge myself and in the process I found myself again.

Hi Denise,

Congratulations on an excellent race and a great report.  Your story is truly inspirational and I am so proud of what you have accomplished.  I look forward to the day when I too will become a true Triathlete!  Enjoy your success and then back to work!

Carl
2010-06-07 7:23 PM

Hi All,

It has been quite an interesting couple of days here in Michigan.  A tornado touched down at 2:30 am on Sunday morning in Dundee, MI.  This tornado caused extensive damage throughout the area destroying many homes and businesses and damaged the local elementary and high school.  A link to a slideshow is: http://www.clickondetroit.com/slideshow/news/23809683/detail.html

My office housing the computer center I manage is less than 1 mile north of the devastation.  Luckily everyone from our company is OK and we did not have any physical damage to our building.  We did lose power so the computer center is currently running on our emergency generators.  I spent most of Sunday and today trying to manage power problems, fuel deliveries, and making additional plans in case of generator failure.

Also in Ohio, just south of the border, a tornado killed 7 people and destroyed a high school that one of my employees sons attends.  They will not likely be able to replace the school for 2 years. 

Please pray for all of the families impacted by the tornados. 
2010-06-07 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
So sorry to hear of all the devastation related to the storms...my thoughts are with all involved.

UUUUGGGGHHHH - my Garmin appears to have died. I charge it, it says charge complete and then when I unplug it the screen goes really dim (I can hardly see any numbers) and none of the buttons function. Nooooooooooooooo...my tri is in less than 2 weeks. I'm going to feel SO lost without it. I have to see if I can get a replacement ASAP. Why!? Why NOW?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41