BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-17 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3303306

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED

jpbis26 - 2011-01-16 7:55 PM Itzia- Thanks for the video link. Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to watching it.

I did a 36 mile ride Sat and a 60 mile ride today. I know, I know, I'll stop talking about it to everyone who is buried in several feet of snow and can only do the trainer. But, I'm really luck to ride with a group that has been helping me out. They're not a formal riding group, but just a group of friends who have been riding for years who let a beginner like me tag along (I used to work with one of the guys in the group and when he heard I was doing a tri, he dragged me out to Red Rock). I'm trying to focus on my cycling this year, and I'm pretty happy with the improvements I've been seeing so far. Although, I will tell you that I was not a happy camper around mile 45 when I was hurting and all I could see was seemingly endless climbing in front of me. Watching a football game is sounding better and better. Why do I cycle again?

That's awesome.  I wish we had at least 50 degree weather, I would go.  The problem around here is that even when the weather warms up, the roads are still bad with the winter cracking and sand.  

2011-01-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3256072

South Central PA
Josh, glad to have you back.  And I'm sorry about your Pats...I was hoping the Steelers would have a shot at de-throning Brady, but I guess we'll have to settle for home field advantage against the Jets.

On another note, I've been shopping for races and I think that my first Tri will be an Olympic-distance in Philly in late June.  That is, if I can learn to swim 1500 meters by then.  I did read that the swim is downstream though.
2011-01-17 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Happy to say I am back on track with the workouts. did a nice 8 mile run this AM. It was great -- beautiful weather (sunny skies, but cold - single digits). the sights along the run were incredible, and I felt real strong the entire run. could have run further w/o any problem, but just did the plan miles. Tomorrow AM is back to the pool!
2011-01-17 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
OK guys, here's the deal on the "Time Crunched Triathlete".  Carmichael's put together a program that has you working out 4 days a week (Tu, Th, Sa, Su).  Most days involve two of the three disciplines.  The key is that if you ride for an hour, you use around 1/3 to 1/2 of the time to do interval work of some sort or another.  Basically you are doing your endurance miles with intervals thrown in.  As this is tough on the body, you get three days of rest each week.  The time is very modest -- for the sprint program it's a 6 week routine with times being 4:05, 4:30, 5:00, 5:15, 5:30, 3:30 + race.  He's also got a modest strength routine highlighted at the back of the book.  There's a bunch of info in the book on the why's of training and the diet.  He emphasizes that the program is designed for sprint and olympic distances -- less than 3 hour events.  For longer events, he shares that you need to put in the time.

So tomorrow I'm going to give it a go and start the six week routine.  I'll be doing the strength routine on the off days and will also likely toss in some "easy" swims on these days to work on my form / build my base in that discipline.  I'll be posting the actual work outs in my logs so you can follow along.

I'll try and write a more thorough review of the book and post on the general board in the next little bit.

Let the adventure begin!

UPDATE -- Carmichael is a sadist.  Just went through two cycles of the strength routine (suppose to do three).  The routine is very well thought out and exercises muscles that are part of s/b/r + helps with the flexibility.  Being as I'm still in the learning phase they were quite challenging.  More tomorrow after the swim....

Edited by croixfan 2011-01-17 8:19 PM
2011-01-17 8:55 PM

Veteran
Thanks Marcus. Now if I can only get my swim times down. I have two different coaches telling me two different things only difference is I work harder with one than the other and my times don't change. I wonder how much being overweight is a factor? 10-20 sec. per 100? That doesn't seem big, but when you multiply that by 500, 1000, 1500, mile,etc...
2011-01-17 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3305423

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
crlarner - 2011-01-17 9:55 PM Thanks Marcus. Now if I can only get my swim times down. I have two different coaches telling me two different things only difference is I work harder with one than the other and my times don't change. I wonder how much being overweight is a factor? 10-20 sec. per 100? That doesn't seem big, but when you multiply that by 500, 1000, 1500, mile,etc...

I don't know for swim, but I know for sure that for running, this is a very important factor. I cut almost 1 min/km just by losing 40lbs. That's almost 1/2 hour over a half mary !!! So I guess that should be a factor as well for the swim ?? 

2011-01-17 9:10 PM

Veteran
Well since I am feeling better, I willed myself to take those four minutes off my time this passed weekend without losing any weight since I began 2.5 mo. ago. What I think is happening is that I am losing it in the belly ( I am starting to notice it, I moved over another belt notch) and gaining it elsewhere in muscle. I am not lifting, but the continous R,B, & S has helped.

BTW Alex, I am amazed everytime I see your HM times on your post. How did you do that?
2011-01-17 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3305455

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Chris

Well, I ran Ottawa without training and overweighted, so that didn't helped at all... but I finished !
Then I start loosing weight beginning of July, through August and I started training a little bit and I kind of liked it And as long as I was loosing weight, I was enjoying more and more not having to carry all this fat with me, so I kept going and I finished with the Toronto Goodlife half mary (which is very fast because most of the time downhill).
I would consider that I did not train a lot for this but the main factor was my 40+ lbs loss during last summer.
When I take a look of the old pictures, that's always a good feeling to see how fat I was and how I feel proud of myself now ! And now, I'm so into sports that I want to push harder, further because I feel stronger.
That's my secret  
2011-01-17 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Put the snow tires back on the Mountain bike and went for a nice ride in 16 deg weather. Felt good to get back in the saddle, but definitely kept it slow, mostly because of the wind chill. I had every intention to also go for a run, but, well life took over, shopping ,deliver the kids to their activities, snow blow the walk, help my wife do her exercises.......... what do you know it is 10 pm! Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Shooting for a hour run and then swimming later in the evening with the masters class.
I hope everyone is off to a good start for the week! Looks like the northeast is in for more snow and possibly ice? I really hate ice storms!
2011-01-17 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3305472

User image

Extreme Veteran

I hope everyone is off to a good start for the week! Looks like the northeast is in for more snow and possibly ice? I really hate ice storms!

Yeah, me too... and here in Toronto, this morning was -19c/-25 with the windchill... not a pleasant temp for being outside, even if you're well covered... 
2011-01-17 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3305478

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
playmobil31 - 2011-01-17 9:23 PM

Yeah, me too... and here in Toronto, this morning was -19c/-25 with the windchill... not a pleasant temp for being outside, even if you're well covered... 

Congrats on your weight loss! Sounds like you are loving life right now. I give you and everyone else out there in cold weather a lot of credit for getting out there. I grew up in Buffalo, NY-so I know what that long, cold winter is like.

Ok- now get ready to hate me. I just got back from a 5 mile run wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Its around 67 degrees F here in Vegas. Gotta love winter in the Southeast.

Chris- Losing weight will make a big difference with running like playmobil mentioned, but isn't that important for swimming. I've had some big girls kick my butt in the pool. Taking 10-20 sec off your 100 meter time is HUGE in my opinion. What conflicting advice are you getting from your coaches?

Edited by jpbis26 2011-01-17 9:49 PM

2011-01-17 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

I was up at 4am and went to a workshop in Mexico City.  Came back to Cuernavaca and joined the tri team and a club.  I had a delicious swim.  Not many people in the pool at 8:00pm  A lane and a coach all to my self.  At last I swam 600m!  The question is… will I be able to lift up my arms tomorrow?  LOL

I feel so happy that I finally managed to exercise!  Cool

Off to Mexico City tomorrow again… I’d better go to sleep. 

Have a great Tuesday!  Laughing

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-18 8:14 AM
2011-01-18 6:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Chris, it sounds like you are moving in  the right direction if the belt is getting smaller, I am still waiting for mine to start moving! I would agree that weight is less of a factor in swimming than in our other sports, not that i am very fast, but i do a lot better than many of my slimmer team mates, but get killed especially in the run. just keep working and it will all come together. No matter what we are much better off where we are now rather than where we would be if we maintained our old lifestyles!

Jackie, enjoy that nice weather and Great job on the training! We will be thinking of you when we are in 80 deg weather and you are in 110+, personally I enjoy the cold much more than the heat. By the way I  grew up in Reno.

Josh, sorry about the Pats, they are my secondary team, I knew I should have rooted for the Jets since every team I have wanted to win has lost? I just couldn't bring myself to even pretend to root for the jets!

Does anyone have any opinions on the 20 week half Ironman training plan, I am working on using that program to get ready for mine in June.

keep up the good work everyone!

Dan
2011-01-18 8:32 AM

Veteran
I guess that is what is most concerning. I see big guys like me swimming effortlessly up and down the pool in half the time it takes me. I try different techniques and some help, others I feel slow me down. An example is the kick. 1 coach said kicking is just wasting energy and you will wear yourself out so it should be of a snap when you stroke. The other maintains that yes the hips help with speed, but stroke turnover and kick also play a factor and should be short and continous. Both maintain when you get it your times will fall off the chart. The advantage to one over the other is that I have gone from 25-18 strokes in the same amount of time. Help! Who should I be listening to? Masters Coach who wants me to kick less or High school coach who has me focusing on turnover?
2011-01-18 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Interesting question -- is there much of a relationship between body size & swim speed? I'm not talking obese vs slim, but muscular vs lean?  or is swimming so technique driven that your times is more heavily dependent on your stroke than body size/shape?

Signed up for my 2nd road race of the spring today. Its an annual 10k which is run in my town, and follows much of the route I use on my long runs. This time I get to do it, but with a free t-shirt & food at the end. And pace booty.

Snowing again here today. I'm getting Yaktrax on the way home.
2011-01-18 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3305919

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
crlarner - 2011-01-18 9:32 AM I guess that is what is most concerning. I see big guys like me swimming effortlessly up and down the pool in half the time it takes me. I try different techniques and some help, others I feel slow me down. An example is the kick. 1 coach said kicking is just wasting energy and you will wear yourself out so it should be of a snap when you stroke. The other maintains that yes the hips help with speed, but stroke turnover and kick also play a factor and should be short and continous. Both maintain when you get it your times will fall off the chart. The advantage to one over the other is that I have gone from 25-18 strokes in the same amount of time. Help! Who should I be listening to? Masters Coach who wants me to kick less or High school coach who has me focusing on turnover?

Chris,
I read an article the other day that stated only a small out of speed and power come from your kick in comparison to your arms.  I think it said 10-15% but it may have been less. The point of the article was that it was important to make sure your feet are pointed so they don't slow you down, but not worry about kicking like a maniac.  I have been reading and looking at so much regarding swimming I cannot remember where it was. If I stumble across it again, I will forward it along.

In terms of your weight, I think it is very likely you are replacing fat with muscle.  I went through the same thing when I first started working out.  My weight stayed relatively flat, but pants that barely fit got loose and in the end my body fat dropped.

2011-01-18 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3305568

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
itziaol - 2011-01-17 11:43 PM

I was up at 4am and went to a workshop in Mexico City.  Came back to Cuernavaca and joined the tri team and a club.  I had a delicious swim.  Not many people in the pool at 8:00pm  A lane and a coach all to my self.  At last I swam 600m!  The question is… will I be able to lift up my arms tomorrow?  LOL

I feel so happy that I finally managed to exercise!  Cool

Off to Mexico City tomorrow again… I’d better go to sleep. 

Have a great Tuesday!  Laughing

Holly cow that is early!!  Congratz on you 600M swim and it sounds like you are all healed up.
2011-01-18 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3305508

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
jpbis26 - 2011-01-17 10:47 PM
playmobil31 - 2011-01-17 9:23 PM

Congrats on your weight loss! Sounds like you are loving life right now. I give you and everyone else out there in cold weather a lot of credit for getting out there. I grew up in Buffalo, NY-so I know what that long, cold winter is like.

Ok- now get ready to hate me. I just got back from a 5 mile run wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Its around 67 degrees F here in Vegas. Gotta love winter in the Southeast.

Chris- Losing weight will make a big difference with running like playmobil mentioned, but isn't that important for swimming. I've had some big girls kick my butt in the pool. Taking 10-20 sec off your 100 meter time is HUGE in my opinion. What conflicting advice are you getting from your coaches?

At least someone has sun and warmth.  We are having a nice cold, rainy icy kinda day.  I am certainly looking forward to spring.
2011-01-18 1:03 PM

User image

Athens, GA

Josh- I feel your pain. I worked at a brokerage house back in the day as well as working quarter ends for GE for a while. Glad you made it out alive.

Jackie- WOW those are long rides. I have not even gone past 30 miles. 60 miles seems crazy to me, but maybe one day! 

As for the other yanks like me, that Pats game was horrid. I was a bit hoarse from screaming at my TV….I hope the storms have treated you better!

Curt- let us know how the workouts are going.

Chris- great job on the weight loss. I understand how you feel. I know that muscle weights more than fat, but it is frustrating to see the # make no change eon the scale, but know that you have been working out 6 days a week….

Mike D -  Yaktrax are great!

Itzia- congrats on the swim, glad to her that you are on the mend!

No sun here, but it is warming a bit up.  I still have snow in my yard, mind you, which makes this NH girl happy!  The gym has been freakily packed with bodies from the start of the semester, the panic over looking good for spring break, and the housebound manicness from the 4 days that all were cooped up inside.  I did get to try one spin class and think I will sign up, if for nothing else, to break up the monotony of training.

So are most of you planning on doing long races this year? I feel like my workouts are so baby compare to your crazy mileage….

2011-01-18 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3306500

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
otisbrown - 2011-01-18 11:48 AM
crlarner - 2011-01-18 9:32 AM I guess that is what is most concerning. I see big guys like me swimming effortlessly up and down the pool in half the time it takes me. I try different techniques and some help, others I feel slow me down. An example is the kick. 1 coach said kicking is just wasting energy and you will wear yourself out so it should be of a snap when you stroke. The other maintains that yes the hips help with speed, but stroke turnover and kick also play a factor and should be short and continous. Both maintain when you get it your times will fall off the chart. The advantage to one over the other is that I have gone from 25-18 strokes in the same amount of time. Help! Who should I be listening to? Masters Coach who wants me to kick less or High school coach who has me focusing on turnover?

Chris,
I read an article the other day that stated only a small out of speed and power come from your kick in comparison to your arms.  I think it said 10-15% but it may have been less. The point of the article was that it was important to make sure your feet are pointed so they don't slow you down, but not worry about kicking like a maniac.  I have been reading and looking at so much regarding swimming I cannot remember where it was. If I stumble across it again, I will forward it along.

In terms of your weight, I think it is very likely you are replacing fat with muscle.  I went through the same thing when I first started working out.  My weight stayed relatively flat, but pants that barely fit got loose and in the end my body fat dropped.

I'm going through this right now. My weight has been fairly steady the past 8 weeks or so, but my pants are getting more loose all the time. Waist is moving close to 7" down from when I started this craizness back in March.
2011-01-18 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
My opinion swimming is technique driven.  I'm a +200LB With 15% body fat (with a high school swimming background) and I can out swim most of my tri club members' who are in better shape, lighter than me.   I think whatever background you have (swim, bike, or run), you'll get it back to what you were sooner than later as long as you put the training in.

2011-01-18 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3306713

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ail - 2011-01-18 2:03 PM

So are most of you planning on doing long races this year? I feel like my workouts are so baby compare to your crazy mileage….

3 half marys in winter/spring, 1 full mary in fall and 1 HIM at the end of the summer...

What do you guys have in mind ?
2011-01-18 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
1/2 mary in March, possible HIM in Sept. Thats it for 'long' races. Other stuff is 10k road, sprint, and possibly Oly tri
2011-01-18 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Mike D.  Congrats on losing 7 inches. That is very impressive for less than 1 year at it.  Keep it going.

I will run a few 5ks this year, believe my town hosts one memorial day weekend, one 5k at the shore in june (beachwood), possibly a duathon in june and then a sprint my town hosts in august.  Both the duo and sprint will be firsts for me.  I wanted to do the duo to get my feet wet, literally.  It is 400M swim and I think 10Mile bike ride.  I will end the year with the local T-day 5k. 
2011-01-18 4:02 PM

Veteran
Well I know the biggest problem I have is dragging my legs, especially when I get tired. I have found ways to correct that, but I can't seem to be consistant. I like the new method of training I have started and to be honest, so does my friend who is a swim coach, but I am not consistant with it. Oh, well, it will come. I also agree that technique is important cause I see people who are large like me swimming fast times.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38