BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-19 5:44 AM
in reply to: #3256691

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED
Damn work! All it does is interfere with us having time to train and talk about training! Thats the definition of frustration (i.e., some feeling that results from an obstacle to goal completion). Anyhow I took it upon myself to figure a way to work less so I could do this more. It cost me some $ but it gave me more QOL and was doable being self employed in my profession.

Wanted to give shout outs to wplummer for hammering his runs, LisaB for hanging in there with swimming, and kate for solid efforts across sports posted on here. I am noticing you all are doing great work when I hit your logs. I keep adding you to my friends list and am very impressed.

Note to some of you: please add me as your friend if you want me to hit you up on inspires. It is easy, just hit the + sign on the left side of your log in "friends" and paste my name as well as any other slayer in there.

Peter, what is this hot foot you are talking about?

Edited by phatknot 2011-01-19 6:19 AM

2011-01-19 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Hotfoot is when the base of your foot feels like it is on fire or burning. I have heard of a few different causes but I think most people believe it is from too small of a platform. I don't get it all of the time but when I do it is miserable. I probably just need more 100+ mile rides.
2011-01-19 8:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Well.... i tried to channel my inner slayer last night, but i SWEAR!
(i'm terrified of running on ice)
can't say that enough
when i'm out there and it's icy, i can't feel my legs under me & that scares me stiff!
(i really do clench up all of my surrounding/stabilizing muscles when i'm out there like that)

so i bailed on the 2nd half of my planned run and settled for an icy 5k.
(SO UNPLEASANT!!!)
hopefully it'll be better tonight (here's hoping that the city crews do their job & get rid of some or most of it!!)

anyway!
venting aside....
my plan today is pretty straight forward:
at lunch: to try on some cycling/tri shoes
after work: run (supposed to do hill training, but it's like a skating rink out there!)
tonight: master's swim

i made the switch this year from a "real" swimmer's masters club to a tri-specific master's group
& i really think that's why i'm loving it so much!!
i would get frustrated when they'd make us do IM sets, or random sets of breast stroke, etc.
(it did feel like a slight waste... when all i  REALLY wanted to do was improve my efficiency with freestyle)
it was better than nothing though-- great for general endurance & cardio!
2011-01-19 9:06 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Why dont you all get treadmills or run athe Y or gym? I know Peter was looking at purchasing. Craigslist and ebay are rife with affordable used ones. Then you can run all you want in the winter.

Peter,
My feet problems with bike shoes on longer rides in 09 had to do with some imbalance according to my BG (specialized) fitter. He put some orthotics in the shoes and some shimmies under the base and I have not had problems like that in awhile. I also changed to the Bont sub9s and rode alot more long rides so I am not really sure what produced the positive effects.

My swim is done for the day; now i get to ride outside this afternoon!
2011-01-19 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3308020

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
phatknot - 2011-01-19 6:44 AM Note to some of you: please add me as your friend if you want me to hit you up on inspires. It is easy, just hit the + sign on the left side of your log in "friends" and paste my name as well as any other slayer in there.

Does anyone know to make a spreadsheet with our group link and all of us linked in there too?  I have been in a mentor group once before and someone did one that we could all paste at the top of our blogs for easy access to each other as well as our mentor group?  I would do it but have no idea how.  With limited time on BT it takes so long to go to mentor forum and find ours.

Anyone?
2011-01-19 9:25 AM

Extreme Veteran
i'm stubborn as a mule!
(not a fan of running on a treadmill)

so i guess i just complain/vent for the heck of it (all the while HOPING that i'll get tougher)

excited for my tri shoe browsing trip at lunch!! (IF i get to take it....)
my two counterparts at work bailed today...
so i'm flying solo
(might not be able to duck out at all...)
but dah well. if i don't, i'll just continue to bank time to use for lunch-hour SPIN classes!

so with tri shoes.... i THINK i understand that stiffer soles makes for more effective power transfer?
but is there such thing as a shoe that's good for rookies/beginners??
seems like it's not a place to go cheap on....
(since it's-- distance-wise-- the longest part of the tri)....

and as for weight loss, i'm not an expert, but i tend to stick with the various food groups & listen to my body (particularly between workouts-- or leading up to workouts) & give it what it seems to want-- which is typically something bready...
& lots of fruits and veggies for lunch
(alongside a ham or turkey sandwich on whole grain bread...)
seems to be doing the trick so far?
(& i drink 2L of water while i'm at work-- and supplement the rest of my water intake as i complete my workouts.)
so far so good

2011-01-19 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3308252

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
nicruns - 2011-01-19 6:13 AM
Well.... i tried to channel my inner slayer last night, but i SWEAR!
(i'm terrified of running on ice)
can't say that enough
when i'm out there and it's icy, i can't feel my legs under me & that scares me stiff!
(i really do clench up all of my surrounding/stabilizing muscles when i'm out there like that)

so i bailed on the 2nd half of my planned run and settled for an icy 5k.
(SO UNPLEASANT!!!)
hopefully it'll be better tonight (here's hoping that the city crews do their job & get rid of some or most of it!!)

anyway!

I think you're smart to be cautious running on ice.  You don't want to fall and break your coccyx (tailbone).  Trust me, I broke mine in August 2009.  River kayaking, so not a fall, but still...worst pain ever!

As far as weight loss goes, I'm with Harvey/Phat/Slayer in that low carb, high protein is a great way to lose weight.  Refined carbs kill diet plans.  Now, I'm not advocating eating bacon all the time and never eating carbs, but I've found that lots of lean protein greatly helps weight loss and weight maintenance.

Swam with my masters team today.  About 2000 yards. Another day of waking up before 4:45 am before the alarm goes off.  I'm rather proud of myself Tongue out

I have a brick scheduled for this afternoon. 
2011-01-19 10:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
& here's my update!

Mon: spin & swim
Tues: run (5k)
Wed: run & swim
Thurs: rest (a dreaded quarterly meeting is set to stretch out into the evening YET again...)
Fri: spin
Sat: yoga
Sun: long run
2011-01-19 11:07 AM

User image

Elite
SE
LisaB  has a great idea, but I am not sure how to do that. Maybe someone else does?

Nicruns, you know what she said. The stiffer the better. My bonts are hard as a a rock haha

Nerdjock really seizing the day! Rock it out. I am about outta here to go hit the roads. We have some mild weather. Can't wait...
2011-01-19 12:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
does a super stiff sole make the shoe harder to use??
(or harder to clip into & out of??)
i know there will be a learning curve-- in terms of getting used to clips.
(just curious!)

i saw a few online deals (compared to what's available in my LBS right now) on these two particular shoes:

between the two... the time shoe seems to be mouldable...  but possibly not the trivent?
(although, between the two i've seen FAR more reviews of the trivent)

i know i can try on the trivent at my LBS (which is SO critical)... & yet i can't help but be tempted by that time shoe option....
either way it's a $100 gamble.
2011-01-19 12:28 PM

User image

Elite
SE
O really think highly of the power transfer added by the stiffer Bonts vs the LG ones. I am a huge fan of specialized products and would've been fine with a pair like the ones you linked in but they were too narrow. I think you really need to go by fit and stiffness. Try them on. As shoes are the main contact points with the pedals, I would highly recommend a good fit and a stiff one too. So find yourself a stiff and comfortable shoe through trying them on. Don't just go by reviews.

2011-01-19 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback on the weight stuff and don't worry I am going to tough it out. I am tracking the cals in cals out on My Plate which gives me breakdown of net calories against exercise. I use the exercise calorie totals (judged by cals per minute for my weight against time) as a rough guide and if it looks too high I scale it back to what I think I've burnt using my HRM as a guide. Not an exact science I know but I think I'm being more conservative than generous.

My diet is pretty much a 'healthy' govt advised one. I'm following weight watchers but add in additional portions to make up for the exercise on a daily basis, so when I'm doing a lot of training I try to eat more and when I'm resting I stick to the 1268 cals it advises per day.

Most meals are made up of protein, carbs and fruit/veg. I try to stick to low GI unrefined grains - wholemeal bread, oats, brown rice. I eat lots of fruit and veg and the majority of my protien sources are lean meats, fish, seafood, vegetarian meat substitutes, pulses, eggs and dairy. I don't have a lot of dairy and have semi skimmed milk/yoghurts about once a day for calcium.

My plate provides a daily breakdown of percentage calories for food type and recommended levels (although I'm not sure where their nutrional guidelines come from). I am most often over the guidelines in fat and protein but they reccommend

Cals 1253
Fat 41g
Cholesterol 188mg
Sodium 1504mg
Carbs 188g
Fiber 16g
Protein 31g
Per day.  

So by their reckoning I eat too much protein and fat!

Fat I know about but the protein I'd argue with.

Your thoughts?

Another question, does anyone listen to tri/sports related podcasts and would you reccomend any of them? I've been listening to a few lately and they vary widely in their quality and appeal.

Hope you're all doing well, Kate
2011-01-19 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3309123

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Kate_r - 2011-01-19 10:36 AM  

My plate provides a daily breakdown of percentage calories for food type and recommended levels (although I'm not sure where their nutrional guidelines come from). I am most often over the guidelines in fat and protein but they reccommend

Cals 1253
Fat 41g
Cholesterol 188mg
Sodium 1504mg
Carbs 188g
Fiber 16g
Protein 31g
Per day.  

So by their reckoning I eat too much protein and fat!

Fat I know about but the protein I'd argue with.

Your thoughts?

I eat WAY more protein than that...probably around 100 g/day.  Otherwise, I'm hungry and sore all the time.  One thing to think about: while you're burning calories during exercise, you would also burn calories doing nothing, so you can't add all the calories you burned during exercise to your "to eat" column.  Does that make sense?  I'm not sure I explained that well.  Here's an example (not scientifically correct, just to demonstrate): say you went running and burned 500 calories in an hour.  Normally, just resting, you burn 200 calories an hour.  You need to eat more calories to make up for what you burned.  You would add 300 calories to your intake, not 500.  Let me know if that doesn't make sense.  In any case, good job!
2011-01-19 1:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
interesting....
someone recommended the website: my fitness pal to me not too long ago, & i like it.
(but then again, i don't pay the strictest attention to my diet-- in terms of the breakdown between fats, carbs, sodium, etc or even calories.)
i loosely monitor things with my fitness pal, but i'm guided the most by my energy levels & what works for me (i.e. what lets me keep up this crazy routine!)

personally, i'm not a vegetarian but i'm a SERIOUS fan of beans as a source of protein & fiber
(chick peas & black beans = my 2 faves)

lol!
thinking about it... i could use more dairy in my diet too....
(most i get is the cream in my coffee... milk in my oatmeal... a few slices of low-fat cheese in my sandwich... and that's about it!)
YIKES!

& for shoes... i'm hoping i can get out and try a few pairs on after work.
(couldn't manage to escape the office at lunch)
sounds like it'll be an interesting process of trial & error!

i wonder if they'll set you up on a trainer to REALLY test the options out....?
2011-01-19 1:43 PM

User image

Just chiming in with the latest. Monday I ran 6.5 miles. I really started to feel some tightness in my IT band. About the last mile I just ran through the pain and for the rest of the day I felt that tingle outside my knee. I took some homeopathic med. and some anvil before bed. Woke up yesterday and my knee wasn't bad so I went for a ride. The ride was good but at some points I felt it. Right now I don't feel it and wanna run but I am very apprehensive. I don't want a full on flare up 8 weeks out from my HIM. Should I rest it all week and do the kick less swims? I'm happy to run 6mi finally ( again), but don't want to lose it. Helpppppp!!!?!
2011-01-19 1:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
bond with the foam roller & go see a physiotherapist??
(that's what i did before...)
you definitely have my sympathies.
IT band trouble is never fun

2011-01-19 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3309295

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
tri4fun73 - 2011-01-19 11:43 AM Just chiming in with the latest. Monday I ran 6.5 miles. I really started to feel some tightness in my IT band. About the last mile I just ran through the pain and for the rest of the day I felt that tingle outside my knee. I took some homeopathic med. and some anvil before bed. Woke up yesterday and my knee wasn't bad so I went for a ride. The ride was good but at some points I felt it. Right now I don't feel it and wanna run but I am very apprehensive. I don't want a full on flare up 8 weeks out from my HIM. Should I rest it all week and do the kick less swims? I'm happy to run 6mi finally ( again), but don't want to lose it. Helpppppp!!!?!

x2 on the foam roller.  I found that the Grid roller works really well for me.  Also, make sure you stretch the leg without the pain really well too.  For a long time, I kinda stretched the nonpainful leg and stretched the painful one A LOT...turns out the imbalance was screwing things up.  Now that I stretch both, I haven't had any problems (knock on wood) in months.

FWIW, the stick doesn't work for me with IT issues at all.   
2011-01-19 3:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
good advice! (to stretch or work on both sides)
good luck!
(& thanks for the reminder to pull out my own foam roller!)
it's been too long...
nothing wrong with a mini maintenance roll every now & again

i'm really liking the thought of trying a pair or two of tri shoes on after work (to get a feel for how they'll fit)

but i'm dreading tonight's run.... Embarassed
guess i'll consider master's swim my reward for getting it done, eh??
2011-01-19 5:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Yay - managed to pack in my long run while away and in the middle of the week. This'll make my weekend a lot easier. Even better than that I felt good throughout. Very positive feeling.

Re: foam rollers. Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to use them?
2011-01-19 5:54 PM
in reply to: #3309802

User image

Elite
SE
Will catch up with the thread in a bit but wanted to get this up asap from a local tri coach:

http://www.dreambelievetri.com/articles/Benefits-and-Guidelines-to-Using-a-Foam-Roller
2011-01-19 7:49 PM

User image

Elite
SE
im real big in the PT for a consult and follow up as needed in cases like that. pschriver may have a different view but my guy is always spot on and reassuring. he then goes to work when necessary. i have the stick and the trigger point rollers and a target (the store) foam roller that my kids treat like a baseball bat. those and some guided stretching (eek! i know i told you im not keen on stretching) were good homework from the PT.

i like long runs in the week rather than the weekend. it gives you a lot of freedom that you dont normally have. i do mine most tuesdays.

looking forward to hearing about the shoes, the diets, the workouts or whatever! you guys rock. three cheers for our soon to be wife beater haha

2011-01-19 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Nerdjock checking in with a brick workout: 14.23 mile bike then a 2.6 mile run.  It was so, so windy out.  My bike was literally being blown sideways.  Miracle I didn't crash.  Swore like a sailor and made it home.  Any insight on biking in the wind?  Headwinds: fine.  Tailwind: Woo hoo!  Cross-wind: OH @#$%!!!  Keep in mind I'm only 125 lbs, so I think that plays a role.

Great job out there everyone! 
2011-01-19 8:15 PM

User image

Master
"im real big in the PT for a consult and follow up as needed in cases like that. pschriver may have a different view"

Same view from me. I send a lot of people to PT especially when I don't think surgery is their best option.

Speaking of "wife beater" it is important to put on plenty of suntan lotion in T2

(Race 005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Race 005.jpg (57KB - 4 downloads)
2011-01-19 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3310039

User image

Elite
SE
haha! great shot. suntan lotion is a great idea.

the wind sucks for everyone. im not really sure there are tips for it other than facing it.
2011-01-19 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Great job on the brick. I'm nearly twice your size and I suffer in the wind. I had a near death experience last fall descending a mountain in a cross wind. I prefer hills over a headwind. In one of my HIM we had a 25 mph headwind over the last 3 miles. I couldn't wait to get off the dmn bike. On the positive side, riding in the wind makes you a better, stronger rider.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38