BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-02-05 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3340505

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED
Hi everyone, just caught up on the thread, and I must offer my sincere condolences to my Texas brothers and sisters...I mean, you live in TX so you don't have to deal with silly winter weather.  Living in Chicago, I expect it, but it stinks that you guys are suffering so much.  Plus, your races are earlier in the season, so it's really screwing up training.  I don't even start Base for Racine for another week (although I am going a bit stir crazy and would like to start, in, say, 5 minutes.

Our political machine has deemed the cleanup finished (and well done to boot), but the four feet of snow to the outside of all the parked cars and impassable sidewalks is, in my opinion not "finished."  Good news is we have more snow due this weekend.  Kill me now.

Anyway, I have been on the trainer mostly, with one swim last week.  Did an indoor TT last Sunday, which was terribly painful, but compared to my FTP test from last year, I've picked up some watts, so that's good.  In the process of putting Don Fink's plan on our huge wall calendar...very excited to start training.  

Happy Saturday everyone.

2011-02-05 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3340582

User image

Dallas, TX
I had something very weird and a little scary happen today.  I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill.  I have not done anything since Monday (short swim).  I felt good and was running at my normal pace.  At the 3 mile mark I stepped on the siderails to get a drink of water.  I do this all the time. When I was running my HR was in the low 140's which is normal for me.  When I stopped to drink, I got VERY lightheaded and felt like I was going to pass out.  I looked at my Garmin and my HR was 68 and falling.  I got more and more lightheaded and when I was ~ 50 I slowed the treadmill and walked to get my HR back up. After a few minutes of walking I finished my run.  I felt good, but not 100% normal.  My HR was a little higher than normal for the rest of the run. I have never had anything like this happen before.  My HR always recovers fast, if I stop or slow I'll be ~ 70 is 1-2 minutes.  My resting HR is low (high 30's low 40's) and always has been.  I've never had it drop that fast.  Any ideas of what could have caused this?

This is my Garmin from the run http://connect.garmin.com/player/66756224 You can see where it dropped, but since I was stopped, it stopped recording.  It also did not record a min or so of when I started walking since it was slow.

2011-02-05 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3340711

Extreme Veteran
Wow...that is definitely scary!

What was your nutrition like prior to the run and the day before the run? Hydration? Ever had any issues with blood pressure? Not really sure about the phenomenon you experienced, but those might be a few things to look at.

Training is finally back to normal for me...and ramping it up now that the half marathon is in the books. Got a swim in this morning and then a 7 mile run late in the afternoon. Tomorrow will be a 2 hour bike session and it looks to be warm enough to get outside for it. Hoping the wind will settle a little bit though.

kussmaul - 2011-02-05 2:27 PM I had something very weird and a little scary happen today.  I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill.  I have not done anything since Monday (short swim).  I felt good and was running at my normal pace.  At the 3 mile mark I stepped on the siderails to get a drink of water.  I do this all the time. When I was running my HR was in the low 140's which is normal for me.  When I stopped to drink, I got VERY lightheaded and felt like I was going to pass out.  I looked at my Garmin and my HR was 68 and falling.  I got more and more lightheaded and when I was ~ 50 I slowed the treadmill and walked to get my HR back up. After a few minutes of walking I finished my run.  I felt good, but not 100% normal.  My HR was a little higher than normal for the rest of the run. I have never had anything like this happen before.  My HR always recovers fast, if I stop or slow I'll be ~ 70 is 1-2 minutes.  My resting HR is low (high 30's low 40's) and always has been.  I've never had it drop that fast.  Any ideas of what could have caused this?

This is my Garmin from the run http://connect.garmin.com/player/66756224 You can see where it dropped, but since I was stopped, it stopped recording.  It also did not record a min or so of when I started walking since it was slow.

2011-02-05 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3340902

User image

Dallas, TX
I had a protein bar a couple of hours before - typical of what I eat.  I probably was a bit dehydrated, I drank a lot of coke zero all week and very little water.  My blood pressure is usually fine, sometimes on the low side, but has never bothered me.  I occasionally get hypoglycemic and feel the same way, but that only gets better when I eat.

I'm hoping our weather holds until tomorrow.  It got warm enough today to melt most of the snow, I really want to be able to run outside tomorrow. 
2011-02-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3340711

User image

Tyler,
kussmaul - 2011-02-05 2:27 PM I had something very weird and a little scary happen today.  I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill.  I have not done anything since Monday (short swim).  I felt good and was running at my normal pace.  At the 3 mile mark I stepped on the siderails to get a drink of water.  I do this all the time. When I was running my HR was in the low 140's which is normal for me.  When I stopped to drink, I got VERY lightheaded and felt like I was going to pass out.  I looked at my Garmin and my HR was 68 and falling.  I got more and more lightheaded and when I was ~ 50 I slowed the treadmill and walked to get my HR back up. After a few minutes of walking I finished my run.  I felt good, but not 100% normal.  My HR was a little higher than normal for the rest of the run. I have never had anything like this happen before.  My HR always recovers fast, if I stop or slow I'll be ~ 70 is 1-2 minutes.  My resting HR is low (high 30's low 40's) and always has been.  I've never had it drop that fast.  Any ideas of what could have caused this?

Were you fueled properly? Over worked, over trained? Stressed out?
2011-02-06 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3256799

User image

Tyler,
Lesson learned for me too, I bonked on my swim. I didn't eat for like over 4 hours proir which is a lot of time of not eating for me. I didn't think the workout was going to be that bad, but I was wrong. Lesson learned from the veteran here. I am about to get ready for a 4 hour trainer ride at this guys house near Frisco, then a run after. Yesterday coming to Dallas, I slid on some ice, was all over the road, almost rear ended a car infront of me and then got in the other lane and a car started coming at me, but fortunately we all stopped in time. Defintely a scary moment. I didn't see the ice in time probably went to fast or something. My hrt jumped up then. I was not looking forward to wrecking my new car.

2011-02-06 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Hello everyone -

Been sick for a few days and not able to do any workouts.  Finally got on the bike today and put in 2 hrs...outdoors!  Was glad Tif and I got the ride in when we did because the wind really started picking up when we were done and that would not have been fun to ride in.

Looking forward to ramping up the workouts in prep for the Texas HIM.  Tif does a good job of kicking my butt with the workouts.
2011-02-06 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3341345

Extreme Veteran
triritter - 2011-02-06 9:08 AM Lesson learned for me too, I bonked on my swim. I didn't eat for like over 4 hours proir which is a lot of time of not eating for me. I didn't think the workout was going to be that bad, but I was wrong. Lesson learned from the veteran here. I am about to get ready for a 4 hour trainer ride at this guys house near Frisco, then a run after. Yesterday coming to Dallas, I slid on some ice, was all over the road, almost rear ended a car infront of me and then got in the other lane and a car started coming at me, but fortunately we all stopped in time. Defintely a scary moment. I didn't see the ice in time probably went to fast or something. My hrt jumped up then. I was not looking forward to wrecking my new car.

Ugh! 4 hours on the trainer sounds brutal...hope it goes well and quickly!

Crazy that you guys are still dealing with the ice...not fun at all. Hopefully after this next round of cold we can all get back to normal and have great training weather for the rest of the season.
2011-02-06 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3341677

User image

Regular
First Tri under my belt today! Lots of thoughts, maybe you guys can chime in with advice. I was humbled by the experience and my first time putting all three sports together.

The swim was in a 50M pool and i really wasn't used to it so my form fell apart and I swam basically half of the race with my head out of the water.

The bike went well passed one guy back and forth a couple times through out. But I smoked him on T2 and the run! There were lots of U-turns so that didn't help the speeds.

The run I had nothing left in the tank so it was slower than I wanted it to be. I struggled with the change from biking to running so more brick workouts are in my future.

Overall I think I need more swim volume, brick workouts swim to bike and bike to run (does anyone do all three?). Also my body didn't want to drink on the bike (had a bottle of water), I've never been one for drinking much during activity since I come from a running background we never carried water bottles.

My next Tri will be May 14th on siesta key, another sprint but this time open water and a beach run so it will be more challenging with those two factors. I'm proud to finish my first one but want to work much harder for my next one.
2011-02-06 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3340930

User image

Regular
The lowest HR I saw was 94, did it drop after that and not show up on the upload and graph? That is weird, I've had this happen on the bike if I stop at an intersection it all "catches up with me" but that was when I first got back into biking and wasn't in any type of shape. This is weird maybe something to talk to a Dr. or athletic trainer about do you have anyone you can resource for that? I'm sure all the details of who you are and what your training and nutrition has been like would have to be considered to get down to the bottom of it. Hope it doesn't happen again though thats kind of scary.

kussmaul - 2011-02-05 7:27 PM I had a protein bar a couple of hours before - typical of what I eat.  I probably was a bit dehydrated, I drank a lot of coke zero all week and very little water.  My blood pressure is usually fine, sometimes on the low side, but has never bothered me.  I occasionally get hypoglycemic and feel the same way, but that only gets better when I eat.

I'm hoping our weather holds until tomorrow.  It got warm enough today to melt most of the snow, I really want to be able to run outside tomorrow. 

2011-02-06 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3341345

User image

Regular
A group trainer ride? Do you share the pacing and drafting? haha, Enjoy it if you can!

triritter - 2011-02-06 10:08 I am about to get ready for a 4 hour trainer ride at this guys house near Frisco, then a run after.

2011-02-06 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3341700

User image

Dallas, TX
grownassman161 - 2011-02-06 2:27 PM The lowest HR I saw was 94, did it drop after that and not show up on the upload and graph? That is weird, I've had this happen on the bike if I stop at an intersection it all "catches up with me" but that was when I first got back into biking and wasn't in any type of shape. This is weird maybe something to talk to a Dr. or athletic trainer about do you have anyone you can resource for that? I'm sure all the details of who you are and what your training and nutrition has been like would have to be considered to get down to the bottom of it. Hope it doesn't happen again though thats kind of scary.

The 94 was on the way back up.  How I have my Garmin set it only records when I am moving, so it did not pick up the initial drop.  I took a drink and started feeling weird, it was maybe 10-15 seconds tops, I looked at my watch and I was high 60's and I watched it go down.  After a few more seconds I realized I needed to move to get it back up, so I slowed the treadmill and walked for a couple of minutes.  The 94 was when I started back running (I was walking too slow for it to record).  I have a couple of friends who are MD's so I am going to talk to them.  I was totally fine when I ran today.  
2011-02-07 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3341690

User image

Tyler,
grownassman161 - 2011-02-06 2:18 PM First Tri under my belt today! Lots of thoughts, maybe you guys can chime in with advice. I was humbled by the experience and my first time putting all three sports together.

The swim was in a 50M pool and i really wasn't used to it so my form fell apart and I swam basically half of the race with my head out of the water.

The bike went well passed one guy back and forth a couple times through out. But I smoked him on T2 and the run! There were lots of U-turns so that didn't help the speeds.

The run I had nothing left in the tank so it was slower than I wanted it to be. I struggled with the change from biking to running so more brick workouts are in my future.

Overall I think I need more swim volume, brick workouts swim to bike and bike to run (does anyone do all three?). Also my body didn't want to drink on the bike (had a bottle of water), I've never been one for drinking much during activity since I come from a running background we never carried water bottles.

My next Tri will be May 14th on siesta key, another sprint but this time open water and a beach run so it will be more challenging with those two factors. I'm proud to finish my first one but want to work much harder for my next one.

nice job this weekend!! couple of things to note, you need to learn swim tech before doing the swim volume. for sprints its good to do an occasional swim to bike, but more importantly typically reserved on weekends to do bike and run.
2011-02-07 9:42 AM

User image

Tyler,
4 hour trainer was good, I had some good company helping time by go fast if you  missed my facebook post.
2011-02-07 9:43 AM

User image

Tyler,
4 hour trainer was good, I had some good company helping time by go fast if you  missed my facebook post.
2011-02-07 10:22 AM

User image

Euless
Are there any tactics or strategies for managing the HIM bike distance (56 miles)?  Do you set up distance or time measures to reassess your game plan?  Would like everyone's thoughts.  It's already tough enough mentally to get through the 56 miles.  Just wondered what everyone else does to get through it.  This is my first HIM.  I can only resite a few songs before my ADD kicks in! :-

Thanks!

2011-02-07 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3342912

Master
Montgomery, Tx
adubtri - 2011-02-07 10:22 AM Are there any tactics or strategies for managing the HIM bike distance (56 miles)?  Do you set up distance or time measures to reassess your game plan?  Would like everyone's thoughts.  It's already tough enough mentally to get through the 56 miles.  Just wondered what everyone else does to get through it.  This is my first HIM.  I can only resite a few songs before my ADD kicks in! :-

Thanks!

Race day is much better when it comes to mentally finishing the bike (assuming you do not ride above your conditioning). 
2011-02-07 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3342912

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
adubtri - 2011-02-07 10:22 AM Are there any tactics or strategies for managing the HIM bike distance (56 miles)?  Do you set up distance or time measures to reassess your game plan?  Would like everyone's thoughts.  It's already tough enough mentally to get through the 56 miles.  Just wondered what everyone else does to get through it.  This is my first HIM.  I can only resite a few songs before my ADD kicks in! :-

Thanks!

The bike is my strength and my favorite part of the race so I've never had too much trouble with long rides.  Try to find something concrete to focus on.  See how long you can hold a specific cadence for then try to beat that time.  Math always overloads my brain so trying to figure out what time I'll reach certain points on the course can keep me occupied for a long time.

During a race it is much easier because you've got the interaction of passing and being passed as well as strategizing to stave off the monotony.  Not to mention the adrenaline which is as good as Ritalin for keeping you focused.
2011-02-07 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3343210

User image

Regular
Just registered for...
Country Music Half Marathon- Nashville, TN April 30th.
FIT Sprint Tri- Siesta Key, FL May 14th
2011-02-07 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3343970

User image

Regular
Why do I post stupid things on the main forum? (I'm laughing as  I write this). Is it the anonymity of it? Think I need to keep my thoughts to myself sometimes. See the string of posts below. My response was that I have done a similar workout in high school when I was in good shape 2:04 for 800M, 4:46 for the mile, 17:25 for 5k. Also I was joking about almost everything I said that was cocky. I thought that if I put the word "theory" in quotes they would take it with a grain of salt. Somehow I can't resist saying stupid or outrageous things on the DF, however I'm really a nice guy in person.

grownassman161 - 2011-02-06 5:55 PM

I've ran for years, my "theory" has always been that all you do on the treadmill, is pick your feet up and swing you leg forward. This is only half of the running stride.

If I understand your "theory" correctly, I have a test for you to try.  Go to your treadmill, max out the belt speed and see how long you can maintain the pace.  If all you were doing was picking up your feet and swinging your leg forward and not really running, it should be very doable.

Shane

In my prime I've done it before lasted 30 minutes got bored, never really got tired so back at ya!

2011-02-07 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
you should try roller blading on a treadmill, it a great way to rack up some distance in a hurry!

2011-02-08 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Since we're talking about treadmills, I'll mention that we just bought one on Sunday.  It's so nice knowing that I don't have to cram running AND swimming into my meager two hours at the gym.  Unfortunately I don't think the belt is wide enough for me to roller blade safely. 

I sat down yesterday to mash all my training plans together and put it on my calendar and now I'm overwhelmed.  I started bike training for my June century three weeks ago, run training for my April hm today and official HIM training starts next week.  I/we must be crazy for what we do.

On a separate note, I seem to be allergic to at least some dairy and it looks like sugar as well.  On the plus side wheat and egg are going okay so far.
2011-02-08 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3344207

User image

Regular

DaveL - 2011-02-07 10:27 PM you should try roller blading on a treadmill, it a great way to rack up some distance in a hurry!

I guess I should ligthen up and learn to change the subject like you guys have and like I've seen others do when topics get heated. I just know in my group of friends we could go back and forth and laugh about it, but on here its like an immediate threat when you joke or post something crazy. My post wasn't too far off what i've actually done before though...

Oh well time to shut up.

2011-02-08 10:39 PM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
...traveling last week and had a hard time doing anything but running but did get a few workouts in...got home on Friday to some serious jet lag; just in time to start my 20 week IM training plan.  I had a video stroke analysis and was amazed by the difference in what I was feeling versus what I was doing...I'd recommend this for anyone who is swimming slower than a 1:40/100yd pace.  More drills for me - damn!
2011-02-09 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3346243

User image

Tyler,
cam111 - 2011-02-08 10:39 PM ...traveling last week and had a hard time doing anything but running but did get a few workouts in...got home on Friday to some serious jet lag; just in time to start my 20 week IM training plan.  I had a video stroke analysis and was amazed by the difference in what I was feeling versus what I was doing...I'd recommend this for anyone who is swimming slower than a 1:40/100yd pace.  More drills for me - damn!

yes, you would be surprised to what you actually look like, vs what you feel like you are doing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28