BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-02-01 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3260273

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers)
Check out this Email from work about our meeting tomorrow:

Just a quick reminder that the company meeting will be tomorrow at 2PM in the downstairs office. We will be providing pizza for lunch (upstairs) at 12:30.  We also have a birthday to celebrate today so if you cake lovers can stand the wait, we will celebrate Mike's birthday between lunch and the meeting tomorrow.
Also, don't forget to join us at Cheeseburger in Paradise right after work.

Anyone want to take bets on what the scale will say on Thursday morning?

:-)

2011-02-01 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3334330

User image

Expert
juneapple - 2011-02-01 8:56 PM Check out this Email from work about our meeting tomorrow:

Just a quick reminder that the company meeting will be tomorrow at 2PM in the downstairs office. We will be providing pizza for lunch (upstairs) at 12:30.  We also have a birthday to celebrate today so if you cake lovers can stand the wait, we will celebrate Mike's birthday between lunch and the meeting tomorrow.

Oh my Gosh! That is the most food based work email I've ever read!
Do you work for a grocery store  
2011-02-01 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3334407

User image

Expert
slow turtle - 2011-02-01 9:43 PM
juneapple - 2011-02-01 8:56 PM Check out this Email from work about our meeting tomorrow:

Oh my Gosh! That is the most food based work email I've ever read!
Do you work for a grocery store  

LOL... don't you know it... here was my response.  "That is the most caloric laden email I've received in a long time :-)"   Pothole challenge #1 for me tomorrow! 
2011-02-01 9:28 PM

User image

Hey MoP's,

Thanks all for the info on your Garmins.  I will have to try a few on for fit (they look so big).  But I can't wait to start seeing accurate distances and times. Will probably go for a HR monitor as well, would love to see how many calories I burn in spin.  I think all spin teachers are sadist. 

Thanks also for the inspires!  I am starting Feb off on the right foot.   I did a run and spin class tonight after work.  I think my Feb goals will be the same as Jan, since I am not racing until April. Therefore will try for 2 swims, 2 bikes, 2 runs and include core and stregnth training (this time I will try to actually stick too it!). 

Stu-  good luck with the work lunch.  Today our work had a loaded potato bar, cookies, candies and other treats.  Yikes!  It's hard to stay away from it all.  I try to keep the portions small, avoid the sweets and bring fruit and yogurt to eat instead.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow.
-Yvette

Edited by TriVettee 2011-02-01 9:40 PM
2011-02-01 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Ron,

On the spin classes, I really like the social aspect too... just being around people is good and motivating.  Plus, not too many hunting dog attacks in spin class.  There are two things that I'm a little wary of in spin class:  a) too much up and down too quickly - not so hot for my old knees.  So, when they do that, I'll go up and down but only 1/2 (or 1/4 if it is one of the sadistic instructors) as much - basically halftime - stay in the position twice as long.  I'm out of synch with everyone, but that's okay.  b) spinning too fast - not so hot for knees or hamstrings.  I just increase the resistance a bit and go 90rpm or so.  Ultimately, I find the classes pretty motivating and I like to be able to do things like 1 legged spins, as my left leg is weaker than my right - didn't realize it until I tried to spin the same resistance on both legs.  I also think if I were creating my own spin class, I'd do less standing than is typically done since I do plenty of running.  But anyway, there's my $.02 on spinning.  It's not the same as getting out on a bike, but that's part of its allure :-)

On the adult company, have you considered joining (or starting) a playgroup?  It's great for the kids and adults.  Certainly was a big help to me when our daughter was young and I remain friends with several of the folks from it 15 years later (and in a different town).  Maybe you can start one around exercising... meet at the park and alternate doing runs and swings.

I've heard good things about the "Going Long" that you got from the library and Joe Friel has a pretty instructive blog.  Don't let the IM training intimidate you... that's a whole different sport from doing a sprint.  Not to worry.  Hope those swim classes work out.  With a good stroke (and a little patience), you'll be surprised how you come along.  If you're not feeling confident about a tri, consider doing one as part of a relay.  I'll bet there are a couple of folks in your tri-group who'd do it with you.  That can give you a taste of the experience and then... who knows... your big toe may be smitten!

Stu

P.S.  The "Going Long" I'm reading is one of columns from Runner's World.  Really interesting stories (one on Team Hoyt btw).

2011-02-02 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3332390

User image

Expert
beachprof - 2011-02-01

I was tempted to put "lose 10 pounds" as a goal, but automatically that makes me feel negative, so I'm hoping that by watching my nutrition composition and quantity, keeping up with my exercise schedule, and getting more sleep (fantastic reminders everyone, especially as I write this with 4 hours of sleep) I will weigh less by the end of Feb. 

Joanne makes an excellent point here about goals and one which I think is especially important when it comes to weight based goals.  If, when you set a goal, it makes you feel negative automatically - that is not how you want to feel.  Challenged, yes, negative, no.  One thing that I've often seen about goals is that "no" goals - I won't do this, I will refrain from that - are generally less successful at motivating us.  So, maybe better to say "I will drink more water" or "My snacks will be fruit" or something like that.  I do think there's something to that theory.

I'm not sure what the literature says on this, but I think there's a difference between an outcome based goal (such as weight loss or a particular time in a race) and a action-based goal (such as improving my nutrition, exercising x hours).  The outcome based goals are generally the result of a whole bunch of improvements in choice / lifestyle (actions).  I use both, but in my mind, when I use a performance-based goal, I am translating that in my mind to a bunch of related action-based goals.  The performance-based goal is validation of the actions that were required to achieve the desired performance.

Thanks Joanne - really insightful and self-aware comment.

Stu

2011-02-02 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Two days late, but I met my Jan weight goal this morning.  On to Feb...
2011-02-02 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Stu- I think the comments about keeping goals positive, are right on. Often, when I help people at work identify goals, I help them to rephrase them in a positive statement. It seems to help. If you start out thinking positive, it tends to lead to positive outcomes.

Speaking of goals, my goals for February are:
   1.to run 3 times per week. But I'll start this on2.6.11. I still need a couple of days to get rid of my cough.
    2. Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. (starting on 2.4)

We are getting hit with part 2 of a major storm. My office called at  6AM to say we are closed for the day, which means I get a snow day with pay!! 
2011-02-02 1:08 PM

SO after a horrible weekend of eating and no working out I get super excited about training again. Then we find out my husband's grandfather died so we have to drive 5 hours away for the memorial service. Which obviously means no training for atleast five days. Then I have to come back and work three days straight.....eeeerrrrrrrrrr....
2011-02-02 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3335514

User image

Expert
jcoble1209 - 2011-02-02 2:08 PM SO after a horrible weekend of eating and no working out I get super excited about training again. Then we find out my husband's grandfather died so we have to drive 5 hours away for the memorial service. Which obviously means no training for atleast five days. Then I have to come back and work three days straight.....eeeerrrrrrrrrr....

Jen,
I'm really sorry for your loss. Hang in there, training will wait. Family is important.
That being said, can you pack your sneakers and get in a short run while your away? 
2011-02-02 2:04 PM

User image

Mill Creek, Washington
I'm with Heidi on this.  I really miss both my grandpas, but I don't think it would be out of line to do some early morning runs, maybe some high intensity intervals to get the heart rate up & let you feel that you're still doing something.  So long as you're not mired in 4 feet of snow, like a lot of people are today.

My condolences to your family.  I wish you well.

2011-02-02 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Jen, I'm sorry for your loss.  I hope that you are able to get in a few runs while you are out of town.
2011-02-02 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Jen, my condolences to your family.  Unfortunately some things just have to come first.  And don't beat yourself up if you don't manage to do anything for a few more days.  Just be ready to come back to it.
2011-02-02 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
My February goals:

1. To keep the pace of all my short runs below 10min/mile, and to build up the distance at that pace so that hopefully I can maintain it on the long runs.

2. To swim/cycle/run twice each per week.  If I have any extra time I'm going to spend it doing extra short runs to help with goal #1.

Finally starting to feel like my running is improving, so this it the month to dig that in!
2011-02-02 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3335785

User image

Mill Creek, Washington
chapfallen - 2011-02-02 1:08 PM My February goals:

1. To keep the pace of all my short runs below 10min/mile, and to build up the distance at that pace so that hopefully I can maintain it on the long runs.

2. To swim/cycle/run twice each per week.  If I have any extra time I'm going to spend it doing extra short runs to help with goal #1.

Finally starting to feel like my running is improving, so this it the month to dig that in!

I love your first goal.  Set a pace, improve the distance.  I think that's a smart, positive goal which will help improve your endurance.
2011-02-02 4:31 PM

User image

Mill Creek, Washington
Nuts!  The swimming class is out.  Too many things going on during the week.  I'll continue looking for a local weekend class.

I may have been looking for an "out" of the spinning class.  It's really hard.  I've learned more about the importance of pulling the back foot up while pushing down with the front foot.  I'm not used to thinking while peddling, so that'll be a challenge.

I guess I'll be using library books to get better ideas for swimming technique.  I think my breathing pattern is my big downfall here.  I don't really blow out all of my air before surfacing for more.  That's one of the things I'll work on this Sunday.  I know that a few of you are good swimmers.  If you have any advice, I'd sure love to hear it.

Um, that's it for now.  5 mile run tomorrow.  Ready to go.

2011-02-02 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3335522

thank u for the thoughts.DEf packed a running outfit. Wish the hotel we were staying at had a workout room. Might try running some dteps or something. If not i'm gonna go CRAZY!!!
2011-02-02 11:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
**small rant alert**

After a very busy/tiring day yesterday (swimming competition followed by track session) I really needed to get a good night's sleep before starting back on shift early this morning.  Unfortunately one of our cats decided that 3.30am was a really good time to jump on me repeatedly until I woke up, and then play with EVERYTHING that rustles in our bedroom so that I had no chance of going back to sleep.  As a result I've had 5.5hours sleep!  Day is off to an awful start and it's not even 6am yet!

Okay, just needed to get that out.  Today is probably going to be a rest day.  I need a day off, and an early night!
2011-02-03 6:12 AM

User image

Expert
Rach-Sorry to hear you didn't get a good night sleep. Hang in there.

Well, I'm finally feeling well enough to get on the trainer today. It'll be a short ride, but I'll just be happy to get on.
Unfortunately, my little guy is sick now. He woke up in the middle of the night with a crazy high fever. So, I'm staying home with him. 
2011-02-03 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
hi everyone....

update from Ohio:
1- pulled incision open Sunday @ swim. sucked. but stuck it out for the hour and coach changed my workout so I could do it with one arm. No kidding.
2- decided i was so very stupid and took 3 days off to heal.
3- kids home tues, wed due to weather; we had a level 3 snow emergency when we woke up yesterday which means you can get arrested if you go out on the roads- only essential personnel. we stayed in and all I did was shovel snow.
4- biopsies came back ALL CLEAR so I am very very happy and get stitches out Monday.
5- I am leaving a week from tomorrow for a week long disney trip with the fam. can not wait to get someplace warm!

easing back into training today with a bike workout this afternoon, simply because I have no time to run today. Run Saturday, Sunday for sure.

looks like I missed a lot-
anne
2011-02-03 9:53 AM

User image

GOOD MORNING ALL

Finally a day off and my husband wakes me up at 6:15 to tell me "you better get up you are late for work"Frown  But, all is well.  Now I have no excuses for getting a swim in this am.  

Jen- So sorry to hear about your family's loss.  Have a safe trip there and home.

Heidi- Good luck to you with your workout today.  Don't over do it with your workout, take it easy these first couple of days back.  We have a respiratory bug going around our house.  I think today will be my husbands first day back to the gym in 10 days or so.  And now the bug seems to be coming back around.  I am trying to make sure I am getting plenty of fluids, rest, and keeping up with my daily vitamins(I think they really help).  Also I like to use Zicam when a cold starts creeping up on me. Keeping my fingers crossed I don't get it again.

Rachel- Have you received your Garmin yet?  Please let me know how you like it.  I am looking at getting one.

Stu- Question about spin class- I just started spinning in Jan, do you think spin class is helpful in building your speed and endurance on the open road?  Or is it better to train on the open road?

Hope everyone has a great day today!
-Yvette

2011-02-03 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Anne-I'm so glad your biopsies came back negative! That's great news! Enjoy your time in Disney.

2011-02-03 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Anne-that's great news on the biopsies!  Congrats! 

Enjoy Disney.  We're going around Easter.  It will be crowded then, but fun, I hope.
2011-02-03 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Anne - I'm so pleased to hear the results of your biopsies.

Heidi - glad you're getting back into it.  Take it easy.

Yvette - my Garmin arrived today, so this evening is being spent learning how to use it.  I'll let you know once I've got it up and running.

After a fairly bad start today was actually fine.  It was my first day "independent" at work, which was a bit scary, but it went okay.  Today is a rest day, so I'm going to play with my new Garmin and have an early night.
2011-02-03 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3335850

User image

rlh98296 - 2011-02-02 3:27 PM
chapfallen - 2011-02-02 1:08 PM My February goals:

I love your first goal.  Set a pace, improve the distance.  I think that's a smart, positive goal which will help improve your endurance.

I have two types of runs: tempo where I work on form and speed and distance where I slow down and work on gaining distance and time is not important.  If you work on both at the same time you increase your chances for injury. So, if you are used to running at 10 min/mi pace and you want to increase your distance, start your runs slower, say 10:15, and keep that pace for a longer distance.  Then on your other run days focus on maintaining the 10 min/mi pace or slightly faster but don't increase the distance.  What you will find over time is that your body will get used to the longer distances but with less damage and you will work on your pace with the shorter runs.  Slowly your pace will incease on the longer runs and your tempo runs will also get faster. Hope that makes sense!  Another rule of thumb is to increase your distance for 3 weeks and then decrease for a week to give your body a chance to recover, then increase each week for 3 weeks, then reduce.  There are some excellent training schedules on the web to help you plan for increasing your distance. It's all about accumulating the miles and not worrying about the pace.
Joanne

Edited by beachprof 2011-02-03 1:28 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  

of 26