BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-06-02 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3529732

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL
Cagolddigger - 2011-06-02 5:09 PM

Had a great brick (12 mi.bike/ 5k run) yesterday. I knocked off 00:02:18. One minute off the 5k.

It really boosts the spirits when you can see a noticeable difference.

Anyway, felt good about it and needed to share.

Well done!!  I'm a bit jealous of your snow right now.  It's been in the upper 90s all week here.

2011-06-02 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3271134

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I got in my run yesterday.  I did not today.  I'll do it tomorrow instead and move my other run to Sunday.  My parking lot got moved at work - it's now a little over a mile of a walk daily - so at least I'm getting exercise that way.
2011-06-03 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3527653

User image

Marshall Michigan
Artemis - 2011-06-01 1:27 PM
Bishtaw - 2011-06-01 11:20 AM

I feel like crap!  The holiday weekend was ok but drank to much beer, ate to much and 3 weeks after my 1st marathon 10 lbs heavier.  No motovation to do anything extra.  I believe the extra is what keeps my weight down. 

So i look forward to June! 

Please keep bugging me and reminding me to stay away from the candy!  Stay away from the beer!  Keep moving!  Get more sleep!  Get your act together!  

I need your race & training reports to keep me going.  Keep posting, plz

Bill

What's your training plan for the week? I think it helps to have people know what you are planning to do and they can check if you stuck with it.

For me:

today: run 35 min
Thursday: run 35 minutes
Friday: rest day
Saturday: run 50 minutes
Sunday: bike ride (at least an hour, maybe more if I'm feeling good and the weather is nice)

I'm all over the place without a current plan.  This shall be my goal for the weekend.  6 days a week I do ride my bike and am jogging but never really working to hard.  My problem.
2011-06-04 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3528054

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA
Cagolddigger - 2011-06-01 4:10 PM

Well, as usual weather is my nemesis.

Got up this morning for my run and it was snowing, AGAIN! All this week it's supposed to snow or rain. This is getting depressing.

Most of my workouts are in the gym. I can usually get a decent run in some mornings, but a bike ride of any distance is almost impossible. I think I'm going to change up my routine for the time being. It's so hard for me to get up in the mornings, so I am going to workout after work for a while. I can change back once the weather decides to cooperate.

Anyway, I hope everyone else is doing well.

Your weather sounds as bad as mine although it's the opposite. We have insufferable heat here. The weather has been in the mid 90s for weeks and if I'm going to exercise it has to be in the early morning hours. So getting my husband up early enough to bike ride has been a problem and we end up cycling in blistering heat and he still can't wake up early enough to get out of the house by 8. Argh. And it's only going to get hotter as the summer moves in. Cry

2011-06-04 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3529988

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA
spaceyg02 - 2011-06-02 8:08 PM
Artemis - 2011-06-01 12:28 PM

Are you getting enough protein?  It seems a little strange, but sometimes when I'm craving sweets, I can add some more protein to my diet and it takes away those cravings.  It sounds like you've been doing more training lately (great job!!), so that might be worth trying.

I will try to up my protein and see if that helps.  Thanks for the advice!

When I crave sweets I try to eat Clif Shot Roks. They're loaded with protein and have just enough sweetness to satisfy most cravings. Give them a try!

2011-06-04 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
La Crosse
.............42 Days and counting..........

2011-06-05 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

Time to share again.

So yesterday (in between rain storms) I decided to ride out to the bike course of my sprint tri (in Aug.) and try it out. A buddy of mine was nice enough to let me borrow his road bike and I was feeling fresh as a daisy. It's a 10 mile course and I know I can do at least 3x that distance and decided to just attack it. Well, for the first time I averaged over 20mph. To be exact 20.4 mph average and completed the 10 miles just under 30 minutes. Damn that felt good.

I know that was just the bike portion and there was no swimming or running, but it felt so good to set my mind to a specific goal and nail it. I think I will ride the course at least once a week and also add the run to it.

I had been juggling back and forth on whether or not to stick with the sprint or go for the Oly. I think for my first I'm staying with the sprint and I'm just going to attack it.

I have a question: I have tattoos on both of my upper arms. On race day when they mark you, do I need to cover the tats so the number shows up?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

2011-06-05 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3533476

User image

Veteran
La Crosse

Cagolddigger - 2011-06-05 4:13 PM

Well, for the first time I averaged over 20mph. To be exact 20.4 mph average and completed the 10 miles just under 30 minutes. Damn that felt good.

I have tattoos on both of my upper arms. On race day when they mark you, do I need to cover the tats so the number shows up?

Great Job....Times like that give you a high and keep you motivated.

I have heard that some places may use a white/silver marker for peeps with tats or dark skin......

2011-06-05 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3532640

User image

Veteran
La Crosse

Monsterman96 - 2011-06-04 5:57 PM .............42 Days and counting..........

2011-06-05 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3533476

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Cagolddigger - 2011-06-05 5:13 PM

Time to share again.

So yesterday (in between rain storms) I decided to ride out to the bike course of my sprint tri (in Aug.) and try it out. A buddy of mine was nice enough to let me borrow his road bike and I was feeling fresh as a daisy. It's a 10 mile course and I know I can do at least 3x that distance and decided to just attack it. Well, for the first time I averaged over 20mph. To be exact 20.4 mph average and completed the 10 miles just under 30 minutes. Damn that felt good.

I know that was just the bike portion and there was no swimming or running, but it felt so good to set my mind to a specific goal and nail it. I think I will ride the course at least once a week and also add the run to it.

I had been juggling back and forth on whether or not to stick with the sprint or go for the Oly. I think for my first I'm staying with the sprint and I'm just going to attack it.

I have a question: I have tattoos on both of my upper arms. On race day when they mark you, do I need to cover the tats so the number shows up?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

I've done body marking a few times and I never both with the arms on athletes with tats on their arms.  If I can put it lower, I do that.  Don't worry about it.  The numbers are mostly for the photographers and you will have numbers in other places (on your bike, on your legs, on your waist during the run). 

2011-06-05 11:44 PM
in reply to: #3533857

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.
Monsterman96 - 2011-06-05 8:15 PM 

It really does. Years ago (well around 20+ years ago) I use to be very athletic. I played high school and college football, track, racquetball, and kickboxing. These sports were actually pretty easy to do for me. This is a whole new beast. I don't know if it's the years of not be very athletic or that triathlons are just hard or just both. It was getting frustrating not seeing immediate results. Now I'm starting to see it. The scary thing is, that if all I could do is train for triathlons I think I could be really good, but ya have to work to pay the bills.

I have a 5 year plan for this sport. This summer/fall I'm doing a couple tri's and a couple 5k's. Train all winter and and next year do some oly's and maybe a HIM at the end of summer. From there I have the goal of doing IM's in the future when I have the endurance and time to commit more. The great thing is, the wife is very supportive in anything I do.

Oh by the way, I have been 3 months not smoking! woohoo!

2011-06-06 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3534094

User image

Marshall Michigan
Cagolddigger - 2011-06-06 12:44 AM

It really does. Years ago (well around 20+ years ago) I use to be very athletic. I played high school and college football, track, racquetball, and kickboxing. These sports were actually pretty easy to do for me. This is a whole new beast. I don't know if it's the years of not be very athletic or that triathlons are just hard or just both. It was getting frustrating not seeing immediate results. Now I'm starting to see it. The scary thing is, that if all I could do is train for triathlons I think I could be really good, but ya have to work to pay the bills.

I have a 5 year plan for this sport. This summer/fall I'm doing a couple tri's and a couple 5k's. Train all winter and and next year do some oly's and maybe a HIM at the end of summer. From there I have the goal of doing IM's in the future when I have the endurance and time to commit more. The great thing is, the wife is very supportive in anything I do.

Oh by the way, I have been 3 months not smoking! woohoo!

Great job not smokeing, it has always been a problem for me plus asthma, talk about burning the candle at both ends!  Whenever I'm in training mode the smokes go away, after the race is the callenge for me.  i guess it starts at the taper before the race - I'm so messed up!
2011-06-06 1:52 PM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Feeling great today thanks everyone for keeping up with the posting!  I've printed off my training plan and tonight i hang it up for official training to begin!

Lots of Biking running and MTBing this weekend, getting into the woods really got me going, I evan parked my MTB on sunday and ran the trail.  Trail running???  who knew,  I need to plan better next time and go earlier as the deer flys ran me off trail....  No beer this weekend, smaller portions, and hardly any candy

i really think I have a problem after a race w/ depression??  After my marathon I believe it took almost a month to regain my mental focus. 

Does anyone else get the blues after a race?

2011-06-06 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3533858

User image

Veteran
La Crosse

2011-06-06 11:47 PM
in reply to: #3535216

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.
Bishtaw - 2011-06-06 1:52 PM

Feeling great today thanks everyone for keeping up with the posting!  I've printed off my training plan and tonight i hang it up for official training to begin!

Lots of Biking running and MTBing this weekend, getting into the woods really got me going, I evan parked my MTB on sunday and ran the trail.  Trail running???  who knew,  I need to plan better next time and go earlier as the deer flys ran me off trail....  No beer this weekend, smaller portions, and hardly any candy

i really think I have a problem after a race w/ depression??  After my marathon I believe it took almost a month to regain my mental focus. 

I use to get pretty down after some of my fights. There is such a build up to the event your training for and when it's over, there's nothing. The best thing to do is to set up a new goal right away. Whether it's a training goal or race goal. If need be, pay and register for a new race. 

Personally I have been depressed. I was having problems with my training. The weather not cooperating, working soo many hours, being exhausted (work and home issues), and not seeing immediate results from training. Then I realized that they all take time to come together. We can't control everything. It sucks seeing everyone competing while I'm not. That's why I made my tri in August. So I had the proper time to train and overcome any issue that may arise. I'm glad I did. Still sucks seeing everyone competing and I'm not.

Anyway, take it one day at a time. This is about you. This about your goals. You are the one who has to swim, bike, and run. 

2011-06-06 11:47 PM
in reply to: #3535216

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

Had a crappy run today.

Kept cramping up in my left calf and a side stitch. First stitch.

I actually believe I run better after a bike ride. Probably because I'm thoroughly warmed up.

Edited by Cagolddigger 2011-06-07 1:13 AM

2011-06-07 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3536272

User image

Marshall Michigan
Cagolddigger - 2011-06-07 12:47 AM
Bishtaw - 2011-06-06 1:52 PM

I use to get pretty down after some of my fights. There is such a build up to the event your training for and when it's over, there's nothing. The best thing to do is to set up a new goal right away. Whether it's a training goal or race goal. If need be, pay and register for a new race. 

Personally I have been depressed. I was having problems with my training. The weather not cooperating, working soo many hours, being exhausted (work and home issues), and not seeing immediate results from training. Then I realized that they all take time to come together. We can't control everything. It sucks seeing everyone competing while I'm not. That's why I made my tri in August. So I had the proper time to train and overcome any issue that may arise. I'm glad I did. Still sucks seeing everyone competing and I'm not.

Anyway, take it one day at a time. This is about you. This about your goals. You are the one who has to swim, bike, and run. 

Well put my friend, it is my goal, and i am the one doing the swim, the bike, and the run - Rock on dude!
2011-06-07 7:57 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Much better run and ride this morning, takeing more time off my rides and maintaining the old man schuffle for my jog,  it was 4am and 77 degrees sticky and so still outside - alittle creepy!

The plan will be to hit the pool this afternoon, a great day todo so as the humidity has hit Michigan.

I feel i must explain my early hours, i have been a paper boy for over 10 years, burning through 4 cars, pulling into every driveway, car maintanence always a issue.  So last fall as work was busy (at my real job) and i had no time to work out.  So I started to jog the papers, a few blocks, then and few miles, then as soon as the driveways cleared of ice, I've been rideing my bike for some of my deliveries.  10 miles a day w/ 1.3 mile jog.  Up to 6 days a week and I'm having alot of fun being the only one outside very early in the morning.  Riding and jogging is sometimes faster then driving!  So i have built a automatic maintenance plan for exercise. 

I find the biggest problem is keeping my heart rate higher and to push myself, but at least I'm moving. 

Hope everyone has a super day!

2011-06-07 10:19 AM

User image

Regular
Desert of Mexico

Great job to all those who are kicking butt in training!

As for me, this week is already going a little better than last week.  I have changed what I am eating in the morning for breakfast which has seemed to really help me with my energy level.  Yesterday I ran 2 miles at the gym.  This was for one of my "easy" runs.  How wonderful to call 2 miles an "easy" run when 2 months ago I could barely manage 1 mile!

32 days from my first ever sprint triathlon!

2011-06-07 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

Great to see everyone kicking some a$$!

Also, great to see some posts. Gets kind of lonely when there is no one read about.

68 Days and counting...

2011-06-07 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3535900

User image

Veteran
La Crosse
Monsterman96 - 2011-06-06 7:13 PM

........39 Days and STILL counting..........

2011-06-07 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3536846

User image

Veteran
La Crosse
spaceyg02 - 2011-06-07 10:19 AM

Yesterday I ran 2 miles at the gym.  This was for one of my "easy" runs.  How wonderful to call 2 miles an "easy" run when 2 months ago I could barely manage 1 mile!

I know how you feel.......The first time last year that I swam it took me 25 mins to do 400yds....Now I do that as a set (and alot faster!!!!).....It is wonderful to improve and that which was once hard now becomes standard.......

2011-06-07 7:59 PM

User image

Regular
Desert of Mexico

So, I've been invited by the owner of the gym I go to spin to partake in a "spin marathon" this Sunday.  I don't know all of the details (hugely due to there being a language barrier between the owner and I).  Remember, I am in Mexico, am from California, and only speak intermediate Spanish. 

My question is this:  Do you think I should go and check it out?  What I do know is that there is a fee for doing it (will find out how much tomorrow), it is a nearby city (the owner and his wife offered to take me), is outside, but on spin bikes, starts at 8am, and one of my friends is willing to do it with me.  What do you think y'all? 

(One of my main concerns is having a sore rear since I do not have bike shorts here with me and it's supposed to last possibly 3 hours!)

2011-06-08 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3537952

User image

Marshall Michigan
spaceyg02 - 2011-06-07 8:59 PM

So, I've been invited by the owner of the gym I go to spin to partake in a "spin marathon" this Sunday.  I don't know all of the details (hugely due to there being a language barrier between the owner and I).  Remember, I am in Mexico, am from California, and only speak intermediate Spanish. 

My question is this:  Do you think I should go and check it out?  What I do know is that there is a fee for doing it (will find out how much tomorrow), it is a nearby city (the owner and his wife offered to take me), is outside, but on spin bikes, starts at 8am, and one of my friends is willing to do it with me.  What do you think y'all? 

(One of my main concerns is having a sore rear since I do not have bike shorts here with me and it's supposed to last possibly 3 hours!)

Yes Yes do it, if playing the game of life - You'll get a life tile!
2011-06-08 7:22 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Super morning today!  I was riding so fast down this hill that i thought, holy crap, slow down you idiot...  i was lol at myself.

Then went for 2 mile run and lifted weights to call it a great workout.

Now all I need todo is not eat candy today, and not smoke!  Hope everyone has a super day.

Bill

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22