BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-19 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3455011

User image

Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
kgore - 2011-04-19 2:17 PM

Hey everyone!

Simon--Bummer that you had to pull out of the marathon--I hope your stomach issues clear up (or at least become bearable soon!

Lori--YES! Lets see that bike!! Also, I hope you back is fully healed--Take it somewhat easy this week--you don't want to put yourself in pain again!(although, I know how hard it is to take anything easy--esp. with a race coming up!)

Mike--glad to hear your foot's feeling better

So I did a 3.5 mile run/walk with my coach last night--she's just getting back to running after a pretty bad ankle sprain, so she wanted to do 1min run/2 min walk---this was fine with me cause my running is far from good....but I kept up. --We then hit the pool--according to he, the total amount of distance was about 850 Meters--mixture of full swimming, catch-up drills, and kickboard pushing on my back--for about 2 seconds I actually felt like I was swimming right! I just need to remember what I was doing and repeat that!

Now for a question---When I was running last night, I noticed some pain right where my hip meets my leg (at the joint?) Anyway, it went away when I was walking, and while I was swimming, but after sitting down after class, and throughout the night, the pain came back--in fact, it kept me awake for part of the night! This morning I am still hurting, but it seems to hurt only when I lift the right leg (as if in a marching step) in a forward motion--to the side is fine....I took some advil, and once I got on the bike (not gonna miss my bike ride to school!) the pain was mostly gone....sitting in the class room now, it is making a painful appearance again...

SO....has anyone else dealt with pain like this? Also, what did you about it when you did?

Thanks!

Is the pain in the groin area? Almost like a pulled muscle in the groin?  If it is, I frequently get pain there. I make sure to really stretch out the groin/thigh area really well, especially after running.  I read somewhere that is because of the foot/knee going inward while running.  I have been concentrating on landing on the whole foot as opposed to my usual heel and it seems to help.   Congrats on the run/walk!

Hope you feel better soon!

2011-04-19 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3454882

User image

silverback25 - 2011-04-19 1:17 PM

Hi everyone.

Been offline for a few days.Should have been running the london marathon on sunday but had to pull out due to difficulties in training caused by a stomach problem i've had. Was in hospital for a colonoscopy on monday  so wasn't able to eat any food sunday,so spent all day watching the marathon wishing i was there. Was hoping to be back training today but still feel very tender round my stomach so decided to have another day off. Although these 3 days are making a mess of my training log. So now my focus is all on ironman europe in 14 weeks time.

Regards

Simon

Simon, so sad you had to pull out of the london marathon!  But health has to come first.  Hope you feel better soon!  Seems like a few of us are dealing with health issues/injuries.  You are not alone.  It's a good thing that these races happen so frequently Smile!

2011-04-19 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3454876

User image

Mike_D - 2011-04-19 1:15 PM
croixfan - 2011-04-19 12:08 PM

Post them bike pics Lori!!!  Everyone always likes to look at new toys.

Congrats Mike.  Very happy for you as I know how much injuries suck.

Unwritten rule of BT: If you don't post a pic, the bike doesn't exist!

Thanks, Curt! I wanted to keep going, but knew it wasn't a smart move.  A bit of infrequent pain in the foot (twinge really), but nothing stopping me from total normal activity. I'm running again on Thursday. Maybe a bit longer this time. 2 miles?

Will keep fingers crossed that injury is kept at bay!

2011-04-19 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Edited by Iwilltri2 2011-04-19 5:06 PM
2011-04-19 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3455434

User image

Edited by Iwilltri2 2011-04-19 5:12 PM
2011-04-19 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3455434

User image

Iwilltri2 - 2011-04-19 5:59 PM

So ok.  My new bike is an entry level road bike.  And it is all mine and it very much exists Laughing!

Sorry!  I am having trouble attaching the file.  It's complaining about the size of it.  It is posted in my album. I will keep trying to resize it to post it here.

2011-04-19 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Peaked at the album Lori -- looks great / even have it on the trainer already.  Read somewhere that it's all the toys that draw a bunch of the folks to triathlons.

2011-04-19 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3455524

User image

croixfan - 2011-04-19 7:18 PM

Peaked at the album Lori -- looks great / even have it on the trainer already.  Read somewhere that it's all the toys that draw a bunch of the folks to triathlons.

Thanks for taking a look!

Definitely not my reason for wanting to do  triathlons; it's so expensive, there are too many toys to splurge on.  The trainer is hubby's so it was already there.  My other bike was stolen, I needed a new bike and tried a road bike and the rest is history Laughing!

2011-04-19 8:09 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Checking in from the beach in San Diego.  I just don't want to be forgotten  Legs feel good after the race other than a couple blisters.  Race results still not posted but it was in the 31 hour range.  

Mike - ART has worked great for me in the past and the Graston Bars work wonders too.  Glad it is working for you.

Lori - love the new toy.  There is a protocol though for posting bike pictures  derailer out, hide the valve stems, pedals at 9 and 3.  I take my bike pictures seriously!! You can't go wrong with a Trek, very nice bike.

2011-04-19 8:33 PM

Extreme Veteran

Iwilltri - Just take it lap by lap and concentrate on getting the distance in. That's what I'm doing right now. I'm not sure how I'd even time my laps right now anyway - I know the clock goes round twice from last time I went with BFF - but I don't know how many times it really goes round.

Simon - hope you get better soon

Kate - good work on the swim stuff. Hope the pain goes away soon

I'll report back on my swim after I come home.

2011-04-19 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
silverback25 - 2011-04-19 10:17 AM

Hi everyone.

Been offline for a few days.Should have been running the london marathon on sunday but had to pull out due to difficulties in training caused by a stomach problem i've had. Was in hospital for a colonoscopy on monday  so wasn't able to eat any food sunday,so spent all day watching the marathon wishing i was there. Was hoping to be back training today but still feel very tender round my stomach so decided to have another day off. Although these 3 days are making a mess of my training log. So now my focus is all on ironman europe in 14 weeks time.

Regards

Simon

Hope everything gets back on track for you. I can't remember from your early posts, is Ironman Europe your first IM? That will be a huge deal. Looking forward to hearing about it.

2011-04-19 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Nice bike Lori! How fun is this year going to be??? I'll be thinking good weather thoughts so you can get on the road soon.
2011-04-20 1:09 AM
in reply to: #3455697

Extreme Veteran

Tried Sara's beginner workout today.

Breathing warm up went ok except that I couldn't quite make the full 30 secs just breathing to the side and ended up lifting my head completely at around 20 secs before continuing.

Kicking - hopeless. I tried to do the superman arms as I couldn't find a kickboard (found one later near the hydro pool) and ended up bringing my arm back to take a breath - not sure if that's how I'm meant to breath during this or not - and also ended up stopping a few times. - Only did  2 of them though. After doing the arm thing I also ended up swimming a bit of this normally too.

Catch up drills - ok but I don't think I did them right as I ended up swimming normally.  1 of them

Last lap ended up being a combo of freestyle and backstroke. Form was horrible on all.

Lessons for next swim (May be Monday if I can handle going swimming after waking up super early for the dawn service) Find a kick board before starting, take a drink bottle for afterwards (or buy water when I'm finished.

All in - I'm not going to call Sara evil yet, lol but I will accept that I don't have a clue how to do her workouts properly.

Didn't do any walking again as my knee is still playing up. I hit the hydro after the swim workout (very warm water) and did some gentle knee movements and stretches including ankle stretches as that was hurting too which helped a litle but I'm giving it another day.

2011-04-20 6:14 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Chet - congrats on the race. Hanging on the beach in San Diego sounds like fun. Better than the overcase & low 50's here in Boston . And you're 100% right about the Graston bars - that in conjunction with the ART therapy have me on the road to recovery

Lori -- great looking bike! Looks fast!

Simon - Sorry about the DNS for London. How long until IM Europe? What are you following for a plan?

I did nothing this AM as I was feeling like garbage, and have been very tired the past couple days. I needed the rest. May do something tonight, as I don't feel right about just blowing off a workout.

2011-04-20 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3451246

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - FULL like whoa!
WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-17 3:37 PM

Itzia-nice job with your swim!! 100s can be SO difficult to push through.  

Breathing with one eye underwater can be difficult because you have to learn how to tilt your chin enough to get a good breath.  Confession... when I breathe I make a face like Popeye when he's smoking his pipe! So, I pinch together the side of my mouth that's underwater  so that I have a smaller space to breathe through above water. It takes a LOT of practice, but it helps the body stay level ------ rather than not.

Thanks for the tip Sara.  My dad does that.  Confession... I might be too vain for that.  LOL  But I'll try it.

Have a great day!

2011-04-20 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3454360

User image

Master
Dunedin

Absolutely, Suzanne! That is common for coaches/instructors to teach beginner swimmers, so definitely give it a try.

suzielea - 2011-04-19 9:41 AM

Sara - I think that makes sense - I'll see if I can remember it tomorrow when I go to the pool - if I even get that far, lol - Would it be the same thing if I was using a kickboard where I put the hand I've taken off to "stroke" back on before taking the other one off?

2011-04-20 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3454685

User image

Master
Dunedin

Lori-I hope that pain goes away, such a bummer!  From my own experience, I think you're doing the right thing by taking time off.  You don't lose fitness over a few days, so you're doing the right thing by resting so that you can be healthy at the start line on race day.

Iwilltri2 - 2011-04-19 11:42 AM

Hey everyone,

Sorry haven't been on in a few days Frown!  I was helping someone move on Friday and with all the training I am doing I was feeling pretty strong.  I volunterred to unload the truck and ended up with a case of sciatica.  I spent the weekend on my back, icing it.  The pain is pretty much gone now except when I move suddenly so I think I will try a little walk/run today.  I had this happen before (shovelling snow!) and it took much longer to heal as I did not ice it right away.  My 10k is May 1st, I want to be ready but not put myself out of commission while training for it!  Slow and steady it will be!

2011-04-20 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Simon, I hope you start feeling better!

silverback25 - 2011-04-19 1:17 PM

Hi everyone.

Regards

Simon

2011-04-20 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3455011

User image

Master
Dunedin

Kate, I sent this question to my husband, Jon, (arrogant bastard on BT <-yes, for real).  He's an orthopedic physician's assistant.  Knowing him, he'll say go to your doctor to get a referral for physical therapy.  The nice thing about doing it NOW is that you get the stretching and strength training exercises to work on, you don't have to go for as many weeks (I was supposed to go to PT until I was pain free, which never happened, so it got costly) and you can do those exercises before a real big injury occurs.

kgore - 2011-04-19 2:17 PM

Now for a question---When I was running last night, I noticed some pain right where my hip meets my leg (at the joint?) Anyway, it went away when I was walking, and while I was swimming, but after sitting down after class, and throughout the night, the pain came back--in fact, it kept me awake for part of the night! This morning I am still hurting, but it seems to hurt only when I lift the right leg (as if in a marching step) in a forward motion--to the side is fine....I took some advil, and once I got on the bike (not gonna miss my bike ride to school!) the pain was mostly gone....sitting in the class room now, it is making a painful appearance again...

SO....has anyone else dealt with pain like this? Also, what did you about it when you did?

Thanks!

2011-04-20 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3455917

User image

Master
Dunedin

Suzanne, it's perfectly acceptable to call the workout evil!  I hope you can find someone that can watch you swim to give you instant feedback-it is truly very helpful.

suzielea - 2011-04-20 2:09 AM

All in - I'm not going to call Sara evil yet, lol but I will accept that I don't have a clue how to do her workouts properly.

2011-04-20 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3456108

User image

Master
Dunedin
itziaol - 2011-04-20 8:55 AM

Breathing with one eye underwater can be difficult because you have to learn how to tilt your chin enough to get a good breath.  Confession... when I breathe I make a face like Popeye when he's smoking his pipe! So, I pinch together the side of my mouth that's underwater  so that I have a smaller space to breathe through above water. It takes a LOT of practice, but it helps the body stay level ------ rather than not.

Thanks for the tip Sara.  My dad does that.  Confession... I might be too vain for that.  LOL  But I'll try it.

Have a great day!

LOL, Itzia even I get self conscious about breathing this way sometimes-especially when I think the lifeguard is watching me, but I just remember that I'm probably faster than most people criticizing my technique! Wink

2011-04-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3456924

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-20 1:19 PM
itziaol - 2011-04-20 8:55 AM

Have a great day!

LOL, Itzia even I get self conscious about breathing this way sometimes-especially when I think the lifeguard is watching me, but I just remember that I'm probably faster than most people criticizing my technique! Wink

It still looks better than having to stop mid lap due to taking in a mouthful of water

2011-04-20 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida

Sara, thanks for the inspire.  Funny thing, I got that right after I finished my run for today.  It was very short, but I've lost a lot of fitness.

Life has been very hectic, but I am going to do the best I can to get a workout in everyday, even if it's a short run like today.

Now, I'm off to job #2.

BTW, I really appreciate this group, even though I don't post much.  I read every post.

Thanks,

2011-04-20 6:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sara - So next time I need to actually look for a kickboard before getting in the pool right, lol. I'm not sure how good the person I normally go swimming with would be at critiquing stroke - she's kind of self taught. I guess I'll give it a few more goes on my own anyway. I should be able to sign up for lessons soon. I'm using the money I would of paid the gym (last payment to them should be Tuesday) to pay for them. That should give me something to practice on my other swim day  
2011-04-20 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3455663

User image

cbarnes1 - 2011-04-19 9:09 PM

Checking in from the beach in San Diego.  I just don't want to be forgotten  Legs feel good after the race other than a couple blisters.  Race results still not posted but it was in the 31 hour range.  

Mike - ART has worked great for me in the past and the Graston Bars work wonders too.  Glad it is working for you.

Lori - love the new toy.  There is a protocol though for posting bike pictures  derailer out, hide the valve stems, pedals at 9 and 3.  I take my bike pictures seriously!! You can't go wrong with a Trek, very nice bike.

Huh??!!  What are those dew hickeys you are talking about anyway Laughing?  JK  Thanks for taking a look!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72