BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2012-01-26 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4010827

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA
Subject: RE: Team KiterChick - CLOSED
Bike day today, but I have got to get the pool at some point this week- tomorrow for sure.

2012-01-27 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3942327

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Good morning all.  Today is an easy day.  I have a five mile easy run.  Love it.  Tomorrow is supposed to be an off day, but I think I am going to ride.  It supposed to clear up so it should be a great day for a ride.  
2012-01-27 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4012627

User image

Veteran
Tampa

Hubbie - 2012-01-26 2:15 PM Started learning how to do IMs in the pool today. I really felt strange doing different strokes. How long did it take for anyone else to feel comfortable with the butterfly stroke? I was moving at such a slow speed to thought I would get to the other end if the pool at closing time!

Other than that I will be taking this weekend off. Have a much awaited for girls weekend out.

Getting comfortable with butterfly it's not that hard if you learn it right, it's all about rhythm. Actually, fly and breast are pretty similar in that sense. The most important thing is trying not to get in a situation in which you are doing the butter-struggle. 

This may help:

http://www.alexandriamasters.com/articles/butterfly.htm

I hope everyone is gearing up for the weekend. Today I am swimming during lunch and tomorrow it will be more swimming in the morning with the team of master's swimming. Tomorrow afternoon I'll do a 90 minute ride at endurance pace and Sunday morning I have a race, just for fun, a 5k on a trail.

Enjoy the weekend!

Sebastian

2012-01-27 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Good morning everyone. I attempted a bike session today but it was a no go. Within five minutes my right knee started to have a sharp pain in it. When I felt it I could feel the joint popping and grinding. That put an end to my bike. As much as I dont like to stop early I don't want to aggravate an injured joint. I will be taking the weekend off to let my knee heal.

Have a good weekend everyone.
2012-01-27 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Happy Friday everyone! I FINALLY made it into the pool this morning. I had a friend who wanted to meet up, so that was the final motivational push I needed. Not too strenuous, since I was chatting with her for a bit in between some laps, but it beat not going entirely. Planning on a run this afternoon or evening. I'd prefer to get outside, but it's currently pouring, so I may have to settle for the dreadmill. Going to play it by ear depending on the weather for what I do this weekend, but I would like to get in at least some level of all three disciplines.

Will - Sorry your lungs were still a bit rough for your run, but it given your workout load, it sounds like you've bounced back fairly well from your illness.

Ken - I know what you mean about a good swim just being one where you don't feel like you're going to die! I'm jealous that you're going to get to ride outside this weekend too. Have fun!

Hubbie - Sorry about your knee, but hopefully the weekend off will allow some time for whatever the issue is to resolve itself. In the meantime, have a great time on your girls' weekend!

Sebastian - Good luck for your race! 5Ks are fun, since you can really push yourself and see what you're capable of.

I'm off to brave the rain to get some lunch. Wish me luck!

2012-01-27 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Hubbie, I hope your knee feels better.  

Just back from a 5 mile run.  Felt great.  Chose an easy course today.  Thought the rain was gone but almost as soon as I left the building, the rain came, lol.  So I just kept going and after getting completely soaked, it stopped at mile 4.5.  Oh well, still beats sitting at my desk.

2012-01-27 6:59 PM

User image

New user
Ticket for one of the biggest games in sport tomorrow so beers before and after, maybe get a easy workout in on Sunday (depends on the result!) .
2012-01-28 6:18 AM

User image

I hope you're all having better weather in the northern hemishpere than i am! 42 degrees celcius today! We are in the middle of a heatwave that looks set to last through most of this week. I'm going to sweat of those last few pounds at this rate.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to head down to the city and watch the City of Perth Triathlon and cheer on a few friends. I love the tri vibe!

2012-01-28 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Hello everyone. I'm haveing a great weekend out. My knee still hurts but as much as before. Looking forward to continuing training Monday.
2012-01-28 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4014306

User image

Did a field test on the bike today (2 x 8 min all out efforts)- it looks like my average heart rate increased 7 or 8 bpm over last year.  I am not sure what that means, other than I probably botched the test a bit last year.  Did a short run as well.

On the plus side, I downloaded the myfitness pal app and used it this week.  It looks like my diet is not as bad as I thought- most days any way.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Will

2012-01-28 8:33 PM

User image

New user

I was going to go for a 4-5 mile run at the gym tonight, but apparently they close at 8:00 on Saturdays...who knew?  Not this guy!  I would have run outside, but there's too many idiot drivers at night even with bright colors and a headlamp and we don't have enough lights on the roads.  So I set up the trainer and went to work on the bike.

Two things I noticed.  My average HR is down 20-30 points since I started training seriously while covering more ground (and this is comparing the same training DVD's since I always look for progress).  The other thing I've seen huge gains in is my one minute resting heart rate!  I don't know what I was ever thinking training for anything without a HR monitor...It could be the single best investment I've made in my health and fitness...

Working 24 hours tomorrow so it'll be a rest day for me!  Enjoy the weekend!

Shane

2012-01-29 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi everyone, hope you're all enjoying your weekends! Mine's been great so far. Started off yesterday with an awesome breakfast that the guy I'm dating made for me. He's definitely a keeper! Went on a 6M run yesterday afternoon. Was feeling great for the first half, but my hamstring started hurting for the second half. I hope once I start increasing my mileage that it stabilizes a bit, since it worries me when it acts like this. Heading out soon to take my dog to a local park, then I will be hopping on the bike.

Ken - Running in the rain can be fun! I love getting stuck out in a downpour, knowing that other people who see you run by think you're completely nuts. Maybe not so much when you have to head back to work though...

Chris - What game did you have tickets for? Hope it was fun!

Frances - Admittedly, I had to plug 42C into a conversion calculator to relate to how hot it is for you, but now that I have. Wow, good luck staying cool! It's in the 40s here too, but in Fahrenheit, so much more comfortable. How's the shoulder feeling?

Hubbie - Hope the girls' weekend was a blast!

Will - Maybe your heart rate was higher because, with increased experience, you're better at pushing yourself to your limits. Regardless, happy to hear that you're getting some productive use out of your new trainer.

Shane - You've definitely been seeing some great results with your HR monitor. I'm with you, in that I can't imagine training on my bike without one. Good luck with the 24 hour shift. I'm sure you're used to it by now, but I can't even imagine. It sounds brutal! :P

2012-01-29 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Shane, good luck with your 24 hour shift.  Really do sound brutal.

Workouts this weekend went great.  Went on a 30 mile bike ride on Saturday and 20 mile run on Sunday.  My legs were toast by the end of the run.  

Hope everyone else had a great weekend.  

2012-01-30 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa

Yesterday I did the 5k trail race. I was shocked by how technical the course was, it was super tough! I did much better than I could have hoped for given the course. In case you are interested, here is the race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=423172&posts=1#M4018040

Hope everyone had a great weekend! 

I am on my way to Chicago and will not be able to train much in the next 3 days This afternoon I am going to do a swim workout in the hotel, but after that, I have two full days of meetings and dinners, so next workout will be Thursday. 

Next Sunday I have another race, a duathlon (5k, 10 mile, 5k).

2012-01-30 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Back in the pool this morning.  Had a pretty good swim.  After I did my workout, I swam a couple of extra laps, just working on technique.  Really slowing down and concentrating on stroke.  It is amazing all the things that go through your head while swimming.  Maybe that is why I do not swim well, I am thinking too much.    

I have a 20 mile ride today.  Hoping to get out at lunch, if not it will be trainer miles tonight.  

Hope everyone have a great workout day.  

Edited by kmatt318 2012-01-30 7:46 AM
2012-01-30 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4018143

User image

Expert

Hey Everyone!

I too did my first ever trail 5k race.  It was incredibly technical as well.  It took me about 48 minutes, but had over 600ft of elevation gain, and was very tough.  It was a lot of fun though!

Looking to get at least 3 in tonight, the weather here is incredible!!

2012-01-30 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi everyone! No workout for me today, but I think that's okay after the two hours I spent on the trainer yesterday. Going to a vegan Thai restaurant for dinner tonight. I'm not even a vegetarian, but it's supposed to be good and I like vegetables, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Ken - It's been a few months since I had to do a 20M run, and I don't envy you there. Your race must be coming up in the next month or so if you're hitting that point. Looks like your training is pretty solid at this point, so hopefully you'll get that BQ!

Sebastian - First, let me say that I approve of your prerace meal - I love Nutella! Unfortunately, because I love it so much, I rarely allow myself to buy it, because I'll just sit in front of the TV with a spoon and the jar and go to town! Too bad your Garmin couldn't track the course better. Did they not have mile markers? I've never done a trail race, but I know some road races don't even have them, so it wouldn't be out of the question. Regardless, sounds like it went pretty well and that you had fun!

Tyler - Sounds like you had a good time at your race too. Congratulations! You guys are making me jealous though. We don't have many races to choose from around here this time of year...

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

2012-01-30 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4019355

User image

Expert
KiterChick - 2012-01-30 4:21 PM

Hi everyone! No workout for me today, but I think that's okay after the two hours I spent on the trainer yesterday. Going to a vegan Thai restaurant for dinner tonight. I'm not even a vegetarian, but it's supposed to be good and I like vegetables, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Ken - It's been a few months since I had to do a 20M run, and I don't envy you there. Your race must be coming up in the next month or so if you're hitting that point. Looks like your training is pretty solid at this point, so hopefully you'll get that BQ!

Sebastian - First, let me say that I approve of your prerace meal - I love Nutella! Unfortunately, because I love it so much, I rarely allow myself to buy it, because I'll just sit in front of the TV with a spoon and the jar and go to town! Too bad your Garmin couldn't track the course better. Did they not have mile markers? I've never done a trail race, but I know some road races don't even have them, so it wouldn't be out of the question. Regardless, sounds like it went pretty well and that you had fun!

Tyler - Sounds like you had a good time at your race too. Congratulations! You guys are making me jealous though. We don't have many races to choose from around here this time of year...

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

We don't have too many here either.   This actually was the inaugural race, and it was actually VERY well put on, I will do again next year.  I am pretty sore today, so I think that I am actually going to give the legs some rest.  I plan on getting up and being at the pool @ 5am tomorrow morning, then a 3-4 mile run in the evening.

I should also be getting my tax refund back sometime soon, then it's finally off to the Trek store to buy my bike!!

I also just booked my hotel for the Hy-Vee Triathlon...all that's left to do now is train...

Edited by RushTogether 2012-01-30 6:51 PM
2012-01-30 10:52 PM

User image

4 mile run tonight- had a really good 12 min SS interval in there where I ran at a 7:35 pace- which just might be a new best pace for me.  After three days of runs, tomorrow is thankfully a bike day.  The bike will be with the adjusted (up) HR zones, so I cannot wait to see how that goes. 

Finally made it back to the pool today for a very brief swim. I am afraid that leg cramps got the best of me (right there in the back of the thigh).  Ouch.

On a positive note- I finally signed up for some more races today.  So my tri season looks like this, plus whatever April/May duathlons I may pick up:

6/2- Escape the Cape (Sprint)

6/24- Cohasset Tri (Sprint)

7/14- Mass State (Oly)

8/11- Xterra Stoaked Standard (Offroad Sprint) or 8/12 Sharon Tri (Sprint)

8/25- Cranberry Tri (Oly) or 8/26 Rev 3 Maine (Oly)

September- South Carolina football starts back up (never too early to get excited)!

2012-01-31 1:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Good evening everyone, it was beautiful out this morning so it was running on the trails for me. I took my time due to not wanting to stress my knee. Its finally feeling almost back to normal. I think I could have walked the same distance and still ended in the same time! However I did enjoy slowing down and actually looking at the different sites and smells of the bakery across the river. Tomorrow I will attempt another bike ride. For now my knee continues to feel great.
2012-01-31 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Good morning all.  This morning was a longer swim.  Felt really sluggish but got it done.  I have an easy 8 mile run planned for lunch today.  Let's hope I feel better by then.  

2012-01-31 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hello all, started off the morning with a run today. It was a bit chilly (low 30s), but I've run in a lot worse. I have my swim gear in the hopes of hitting the pool tonight, but we'll see how motivated I feel by the end of the day...

Tyler - New bikes are so exciting! What model are you planning on getting?

Will - I am extremely cramp prone swimming myself. I tend to get foot cramps a lot, and occasional calf cramps as well. Unfortunately, I have yet to discover a way to get rid of them. As for your races, I'm also doing Escape the Cape and MA State, although I'll be doing the all women's race for the sprint. I don't mind racing with guys though, so I decided to stick to the coed race for the Olympic.

Hubbie - Glad to hear your knee's on the mend!

Ken - I was feeling pokey this morning too. Something in the air? Hopefully you'll perk up by the time you have to head out on your run.

So, I wanted to take a moment to ask you all how you're liking the setup of this group. I've never done this before, so I don't have a template to work off of. If there's anything I can do to improve things, I'm happy for any input. Feel free to PM me if you have something to say that you'd rather not throw into the public forum. On the other hand, if you're all happy with how things are going, that's great to know too!

2012-01-31 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa
KiterChick - 2012-01-30 5:21 PM

Hi Sarah, I love Nutella too I don't eat it often, only on race day or on those hard training days. 

They did not have mile markers in the race, but live and learn, next time I'll keep this issue in mind.

Yesterday I had a great swim at the hotel, 1.9 miles and felt good and not guilty about diner afterwards!

Regarding the question in your last post, from my perspective, the group is going great. What would be really interesting for me is as the season progresses to have everyone share their race reports, so we can get insights into racing strategy and other interesting tidbits we could use in our own races.

2012-01-31 6:08 PM

User image

Veteran

Got to the gym and through a 15 minute warm up walk when I got word that my kid was sick. So no biking for me today. But I did get in about 40 minutes of plyometrics while he was taking a nap. Not happy about having to miss so much training time but my family comes first.

As far as the group goes I'm happy with it. I too would live to see everyone's race reports as the season progresses. I noticed that new groups will be forming in April. Is everyone planning on staying in this group or moving on? I personally would perfer to stay in this group. The smaller size allows for a more personal approach, and I can actually keep up with the posts and follow the 'conversations'.

I filed my taxes today and plan on using part of the refund to get a new bike before the season. I've been riding on a GMC Denali which has sadly seen its last race. I've pushed that bike far beyond what it was ever meant to be. It was designed to simply be a city commuter bike/weekend paved trail bike. Last year alone I logged almost 400 miles in traing and racing. The bike I'm looking at is a Motobecame Nemisis Pro. Has anyone had any experience with this bike? It has excellent reviews both on BT and other independant sites.

Well its off to work for me, have a good night everyone.

2012-01-31 7:58 PM

User image

Hi Sarah, shoulder is going okay thanks. It's very sore still, especially now that i'm running out of the super drugs haha. I have exercises to do regularly and am noticing improvement in those so that's positive. The biggest problem at the moment, other than minimal sleep, is the side-effects of the drugs...not fun. Back at work today, but only a half day to ease into it.

Anaconda has a fluid trainer on sale at the moment so i might duck in a check it out. No exercise is really getting to me. Is there such a thing as a bad fluid trainer? I havent heard of the brand Team Pro before but at $100 on sale it might be worth a punt.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 22