BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-02-27 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4067666

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session)
mdfahy - 2012-02-26 10:49 PM

I had a great race, 1:42:26 unofficial time, right on my stretch goal and felt pretty good throughout.  Negative split and strong at the end.  Very happy with my PR, took 11 minutes off my best open HM, I've done 3 now. 

Awesome!

2012-02-27 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3949904

Regular
Great job!  Must feel great to have it behind you!  Onward and upward...
2012-02-28 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Great HM! I finally got some race planning done and there are 5 HM's pretty close to me that I am looking at, with my schedule I am hoping to fit in 2 or 3.

I feel like I have gotten myself back on track here. Went to a spin class yesterday, and then slogged through about 20cm's of fresh snow on the trails today for an hour. It wasnt a fast run but it was great to be running again. Today I am going in to the pool to try and sign up for the masters swim program. They started a month ago but apparently I can still sign up and it will be cheaper!!

Reading about all the training you guys have got going on really helped me get off my lazy arse, so thanks guys!
2012-02-28 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4067666

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

mdfahy - 2012-02-26 9:49 PM I had a great race, 1:42:26 unofficial time, right on my stretch goal and felt pretty good throughout.  Negative split and strong at the end.  Very happy with my PR, took 11 minutes off my best open HM, I've done 3 now. 

11 minute PR, negative split, with a strong finish? Congrats on a solid performance!

2012-02-28 8:08 PM

Regular
I am finally starting to figure out a schedule as well; looks like 3 or so sprints, an olympic and at least a HM in the fall, possibly the Newport RI half.  Time for the really miles to begin.
2012-02-29 6:25 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
So masters class is awesome, great people, great coach, and apparently I get to pretty much go to the pool whenever I want to now! Nice 3000m workout last night with some neat drills involving building up to VO2 max heartrate range!

Spin Class and Snowboarding today!

2012-02-29 7:02 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
I hear a lot about masters swim groups, but have little knowledge of how they work. Can someone please tell me how they work for a slow swimmer? What groups are they generally "aimed" at?
2012-02-29 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
I was worried about being 'the Anchor' too. But they divide up the lanes here pretty good. Basically you just show up and there is a prepared workout for you to swim. Here they have swim specific and tri specific ones which is cool. The coach told me right off the bat to not worry if I couldnt get the whole workout in.

So that was my newbie experience here, very welcoming and friendly, not sure how it stacks up against other places but I would imagine it is similar.
2012-02-29 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

Matt-That's awesome you did so well in your HM, and without really training!!! I'm glad it was a good experience, and that's a lot of time to take off!

Justin-I'm so glad your back on a good training schedule! And you're excited about it.  We all go through stages where we lack motivation, but if we look back on it, we aren't happy, but once we  get active again it's amazing how your attitude improves.

I've always wondered about Master's classes too, but I already pay for 2 pools (gym and cc) and I can't really justify a 3rd! Swim lessons are going well, my instructor was at the pool the other day with her coach and they were watching me (I didn't know). At my next lesson, she said they both thought my freestyle form was great.  I said, "so why am I so slow?" Her, "because you have no kick". So there you have it.  At least I know why and what to work on!!

Ben-Is your strength training getting better? I know it's a good thing to do, but sometimes I struggle with getting my hour in a week.

So those of you that asked about the stair run.  This is the 3rd year I've done it and it's great.  It's such a different aminal, because it is so difficult to train for (really running real stairs is the only way), and even then, you go up and down, which gives your muscles a little break.  The real kicker is not being able to breathe and your lungs burning!! The 1st year, I trained and was 21st overall, this year and last not so good, but still top 3rd overall and top 6th age group.  I'm thinking next year, I might actually put in some effort and really see how well I can do.  It is only 870 stairs though.  Tom, that one you mentioned that had 2,579...wow, that would hurt.  I'm all about mixing it up though and love to do different kinds of races to keep it interesting.

2012-02-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4072122

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

marvintpa - 2012-02-29 7:02 AM I hear a lot about masters swim groups, but have little knowledge of how they work. Can someone please tell me how they work for a slow swimmer? What groups are they generally "aimed" at?

Masters is a great source to improve on your swimming. Deck coaching and swimming with faster swimmers is a great way to learn and motivate yourself to improve. Most masters classes divided up talent by lanes (decided on your avg 100/yd time) and go from their. In any case it is best to underestimate yourself and start maybe in a slower lane then you need to, and adjust accordingly. There is no better feeling then moving up a lane.

Swimmers and coaches are generally very friendly in masters and love to teach the sport to others as well. Ask as many questions as you want, and never feel stupid asking questions, it is the only way you can learn and you have to start somewhere, right? If you feel at all nervous or anxious I would show up a bit early and address any concerns or problems to the coach beforehand.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

2012-02-29 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

Ben--I noticed you have an Orbea bike.  I was wondering if you like it and if you have had any problems/issues with it?  I'm looking at an Orbea Onix, but don't have any experience with the brand.

Thanks, Ali

2012-02-29 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I am split 50/50 on the Orbea so below is what I like and don't like

Pro's

- Great first bike for the price I bought at $1800

- Very easy to maintain and keep clean, this is not a fully integrated bike and so everything is right at your fingertips and not hidden away

- Handles well...for a TT bike

Con's

- For TT's bikes the seat angle is a bit slack (Orbea is known for this) at 74 degrees, so I have to push everything forward and it still is a slack angle

- Had some small debris get inside my frame or fall off from the inside of the frame. Taken the frame to numerous shops and they all say the integrity of the frame is great, but it is just annoying to hear the banging around while on the road (Maybe if I contact Orbea I could get something out of this...meh)

- The wheel shaped downtube negates one spot to hold a water bottle, if that is an issue

I have never spoken or used customer service with Orbea, but have dealt with mechanics only. They seem split on Orbea, some love the, others are iffy. 

I was planning on selling my bike this year, but I will have to wait another year for the finances to allow. In the meantime this is a bike that gets the job done and I have had very few problems, really if any, that have been caused by Orbea. It is not an amazing bike, but it is not a low end bike either. It performs well for the price listed and you can get a lot of value out of it. Personally if you are not going for a high end bike and want something a little less, Orbea's seem to be a good option with pricing. However, if your are looking for a more competitiveness out of your bike and want to ride aggressively I would stay away from Orbea. 

I have probably logged about 5-6k in miles on this bike and beaten it down well and it is still holding its own very well.

Hope this helps

2012-02-29 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Thanks Ben-yes, that is very helpful! The onix is a road bike not a tt, so maybe it won't have some of the same issues. My heart wants a tt but my head and the knowledgeable ones in my life say-solid road bike 1st (they also say carbon). I can get an 2010 full carbon for $1,200, which I think is a good deal. I'm thinking, don't go crazy and then in a couple years I can justify spending more and get a tt!
2012-02-29 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4066355

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
wannabefaster - 2012-02-25 6:01 PMAwesome vertical run. I am sure it hurt but you rocked it. I don't know how you would really train for stairs except for by doing stairs. I would love to hear how your legs feel over the next couple days. Mine are always pretty wrecked by stair running. Matt, good luck with your hm. I was trying to figure out how to get in to the Disney princesses half marathon tomorrow but it turns out it has been sold out for months. I would love to run a half because I really feel like I am rounding in to shape nicely. My wife says a princess run would be right up my alley. Doh!Book recs: I love "Once a Runner" and "Again to Carthage" by John L Parker, Jr. Extremely well written and it really gives you insight into how hard a truly elite athlete really works. I read them over and over to be inspired to train harder.
So no pics of you running in a pink tutu and tiara?!?!Oh, and luckily my legs weren't sore at all the next day. I got "Born to Run" for Christmas, and finally started reading it. I'm enjoying it!
2012-02-29 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
So I did spin class number two of the week today, I am really liking it. Looking forward to getting back on the road again but that is at least a month or two away here.

My HM plans are all falling apart, I really wanted to do one in the spring and see how it felt but all the ones I find are in conflict with my scheule. I know I could just run 21km outside some day, but thats not nearly as fun!
2012-02-29 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4072977

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Omahabritt - 2012-02-29 12:59 PM

wannabefaster - 2012-02-25 6:01 PMAwesome vertical run. I am sure it hurt but you rocked it. I don't know how you would really train for stairs except for by doing stairs. I would love to hear how your legs feel over the next couple days. Mine are always pretty wrecked by stair running. Matt, good luck with your hm. I was trying to figure out how to get in to the Disney princesses half marathon tomorrow but it turns out it has been sold out for months. I would love to run a half because I really feel like I am rounding in to shape nicely. My wife says a princess run would be right up my alley. Doh!Book recs: I love "Once a Runner" and "Again to Carthage" by John L Parker, Jr. Extremely well written and it really gives you insight into how hard a truly elite athlete really works. I read them over and over to be inspired to train harder.
So no pics of you running in a pink tutu and tiara?!?!Oh, and luckily my legs weren't sore at all the next day. I got "Born to Run" for Christmas, and finally started reading it. I'm enjoying it!

No tiara and tutu for me but I would have happily rocked them both in order to get into the race. I did go out and run on the grass beside the course while everyone was running. It is always so amazing to feel the energy of an event like that. It made me really want to be out there competing. There were people (mostly women but a few men) of all shapes and sizes doing the princess hm. Some of them looked pretty ragged at the end but they all looked elated to have done it.

My running is really coming along nicely. I did a run today that was almost easy that for sure would have brought me to my knees eight months ago. It is really cool to look back at the logs and see how things are getting better. This endurance stuff really requires a long term vision and sometimes it is easy to lose sight of improvements.

As usual, a week of vacation with better than normal sleep has left me feeling invincable. I really need to figure out how to sleep more......

Edited by wannabefaster 2012-02-29 7:58 PM

2012-03-02 7:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Happy March everyone!  Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend?
2012-03-02 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4076559

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
mdfahy - 2012-03-02 8:04 AM

Happy March everyone!  Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend?

If a 21 mile run on Saturday is considered fun, then yes, I have fun plans.

We were supposed to take the kids skiing but there is essentially no snow in Northern Michigan so instead of running in a beautiful National Park I will be running on rural roads in SE Michigan.
2012-03-02 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Sat is a day off, Sun will be a long run in prep for my first HM which is now tentativley planned for May 20th, in Kirkland Lake! (google map it to find out how far north I live! I actually live about 100km north of there even!!)

Pretty excited about that, even more excited to have a contract ratified at work which means back pay! Which means....new bike! Possibly... We have made up a pretty strict budget for when my wife goes on Maternity leave, so hopefully I can get approval for the purchase.
2012-03-02 2:35 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

I spent a year living in Kirkland Lake... beautiful place.

Have a great race!!!!

2012-03-02 11:50 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
I miss a week and a HM and stair climb have been completed. Nice work! I have not had the best of weeks. I took a lesson on my dirt bike at the track on Sunday and ended up so sore I could barely walk for a couple of days. I had not rode the track in 4 months so I paid the price. Too many hobbies and not enough time. I did get in a good swim tonight. Bike rides the next 2 days for me.

2012-03-03 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4077579

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
justinfss - 2012-03-02 1:58 PMSat is a day off, Sun will be a long run in prep for my first HM which is now tentativley planned for May 20th, in Kirkland Lake! (google map it to find out how far north I live! I actually live about 100km north of there even!!)

Pretty excited about that, even more excited to have a contract ratified at work which means back pay! Which means....new bike! Possibly... We have made up a pretty strict budget for when my wife goes on Maternity leave, so hopefully I can get approval for the purchase.
Glad you found a HM to do. I did google Kirkland lake. It is north, but not as far as I expected with the temps you have. Will it be your 1st HM ever, or just this year? Great news about your contract. Hope everything is going well with your wife's pregnancy and hope you're able to get a new bike!
2012-03-03 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4078261

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
BMiller71 - 2012-03-02 11:50 PMI miss a week and a HM and stair climb have been completed. Nice work! I have not had the best of weeks. I took a lesson on my dirt bike at the track on Sunday and ended up so sore I could barely walk for a couple of days. I had not rode the track in 4 months so I paid the price. Too many hobbies and not enough time. I did get in a good swim tonight. Bike rides the next 2 days for me.
Oh no, Brian! Hope your legs are feeling better! Had a similar problem after weights on Wed (which was supposed to be a rest day). My plan had 2 rest days this week, and I though I could do weights, as I try and do an hour a week. Well I think it was bench step-ups w/weights that made me so sore I was hobbling for 2 days! Seriously running stairs last week-nothing, 3 sets-hobbling, doesn't make sense!?! Oh well, live and learn. Off day today, date night tonight, a run & 2 hour bike ride tomorrow.
2012-03-03 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Finally got to do the Postal Swim.  I swam 72 laps or 3600 yds straight in 60 minutes exactly. 
2012-03-03 7:08 PM
in reply to: #4078814

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
mdfahy - 2012-03-03 3:36 PM

Finally got to do the Postal Swim.  I swam 72 laps or 3600 yds straight in 60 minutes exactly. 

Great swim. Holding a yard per second pace for an hour is pretty darn good in my book. Congratulations.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  

of 19