BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-07-10 5:00 PM
in reply to: #4123663

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE

If you guys want to see a great race report, check this one out:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=449974&posts=4#M4304459

Julia (juliapurr) is from Denver. She and Richard (Dick Dime) Para (dickdime) were almost killed back in 2009 when they were training for the 70.3 World Championships.  They were on their bikes outside Chatfield Res south of Denver and got t-boned by a woman driving.  Richard nearly died and has permanent brain damage.  Julia didn't get it quite as bad as Richard, but she was in bad shape.  This was her first race back, and she took 26th overall.  She's an amazing athlete and a very inspirational person.

2012-07-10 8:01 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Last link I'll post today (I promise!):

Edited by mcgilmartin 2012-07-13 6:16 PM
2012-07-10 9:08 PM

JEN CONGRATS ON THE RACE! Now we can wear our shirts that say "triathlon is a mother".   lololololol Sounds like you had a great time, made great time, and all the training paid off!!!

My training is down the tube the last 3 weeks.   Both tri races I wanted to do are out of the question for me now, I am soooo bummed.  BUT I am doing the obstacle course 5k mud run, and I (hesitantly) do plan on doing the HM in October.  (I do like to run, I do like to run, I do like to run-repeat).   So I won't gripe.   I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't train outside in 100+degree weather anyway.

Quick question about GPS/Garmins, etc--do all the monitors that keep heart rate require that chest strap? 

Thanks all, STAY MOTIVATED (unlike me in the last 3 weeks)   Cool

2012-07-10 9:39 PM
in reply to: #4304839

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
April, yes, any truly effective heart rate monitor will require a strap.  Some companies manufacture sports bras for women with the device built in.  You'd also be surprised just how comfortable they are to wear.  I've had mine on for 6-7 hours sometimes and barely noticed it.
2012-07-11 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4304839

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Thanks! And that's an awesome shirt Laughing
2012-07-11 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4304472

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Pretty amazing!

2012-07-15 7:50 PM

User image

Round Rock

Hey folks miss hearing from all of you. I am trying to decide on my next race and get my training in gear. Looking forward to a vacation in Northern California in a couple of weeks and being able to run in some cooler weather.

Bryan

2012-07-15 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4312673

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
katartizo - 2012-07-15 6:50 PM

Hey folks miss hearing from all of you. I am trying to decide on my next race and get my training in gear. Looking forward to a vacation in Northern California in a couple of weeks and being able to run in some cooler weather.

Bryan

I've heard the Escape From Alcatraz is fun. </sarcasm>

I'd look into some fall running races now- tri season tends to wind down in August.

2012-07-15 10:26 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

I'm finally getting to do races and you're right, the season is ending. There's a couple here in Sept. but after that it's all over. Have a great vacation Bryan and enjoy that cooler weather! 

I went mountain biking today for the first time and it was a lot of fun. All uphill then all downhill which is a change from rolling hills. My legs will be hurting tomorrow! And my hands from breaking so hard all the way down the hills, and they weren't that big or technical either. I told my husband to pick something easy, but his easy isn't my easy! He kept his word and didn't laugh or roll his eyes too much. It was a great challenge though and a nice change of scenery. 

I signed up for my next triathlon, the Asheville Tri on the 22nd. It's a 6:45 a.m. start!! We'll see how that goes. Then I'll try my first lake swim tri on Aug. 5. I might be a little hooked now Laughing

Anyone else excited to watch the Olympic tri events? Happy training!

2012-07-16 1:13 PM

User image

We finally found a house - this has most likely been one of the most stressful times of my military career (and that includes deployments). Know that you HAVE to find a place within 30 day even if it doesn't meet your families needs and having to pay €150 per night out of pocket can cause a lot of stress and tension. My kids are annoying each other; my husband and I have been snippy with each other and I haven't even liked being around myself! I have been able to go on one run, which sucked, and had one opportunity to get in the pool, which wasn't much better. I hope to get in the pool tomorrow morning before work, so we'll see how that goes. I hope to get a least a mile in before I have to get out and head to work - it will be close (as to whether or not I can make it in on time). If I can't get the swim in, I know I can get get a run in at lunch since a few of my coworkers run during their lunch. Hope everyone is having a great week - I'll be happy once I get all my gear delivered (not until the end of August)!
2012-07-16 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4314065

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

mmez - 2012-07-16 12:13 PM We finally found a house - this has most likely been one of the most stressful times of my military career (and that includes deployments). Know that you HAVE to find a place within 30 day even if it doesn't meet your families needs and having to pay €150 per night out of pocket can cause a lot of stress and tension. My kids are annoying each other; my husband and I have been snippy with each other and I haven't even liked being around myself! I have been able to go on one run, which sucked, and had one opportunity to get in the pool, which wasn't much better. I hope to get in the pool tomorrow morning before work, so we'll see how that goes. I hope to get a least a mile in before I have to get out and head to work - it will be close (as to whether or not I can make it in on time). If I can't get the swim in, I know I can get get a run in at lunch since a few of my coworkers run during their lunch. Hope everyone is having a great week - I'll be happy once I get all my gear delivered (not until the end of August)!

Wow Mariah- you've got a lot on your plate.  Just take it a day at a time and things will fall into place.  Try getting training sessions in- you know how well they take the stress out of your life!  We're here for ya

Matt

2012-07-18 7:47 PM

Mariah!! Hang in there!  I hope things work out quickly for your family, sounds very tough.  You have your BT  friends rooting for your family!!!
2012-07-19 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4314065

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Glad you finally found a house, it all sounds very stressful. Hope you get some training in, and hang in there!

2012-07-20 9:21 PM

Need advice!   I'm going to need a watch with GPS and heart rate monitor.  I did some research on them a few months ago and got very frustrated and gave it up.  I initially wanted something simple, tracking distance and heart rate.  There is so much stuff out there it's making me nuts.  What else should I consider and where should I shop to get it cheap? 

2012-07-21 10:06 AM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Another tri tomorrow morning! Question - for the bike and run, can I wear my iPhone on my armband holder? I like to track my bikes for average speed and elevation and all that, and I'd love to have that data from races. I don't have a bike computer or a watch or anything. Is it allowed?
2012-07-21 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4322951

User image

Round Rock
newbie99 - 2012-07-20 9:21 PM

Need advice!   I'm going to need a watch with GPS and heart rate monitor.  I did some research on them a few months ago and got very frustrated and gave it up.  I initially wanted something simple, tracking distance and heart rate.  There is so much stuff out there it's making me nuts.  What else should I consider and where should I shop to get it cheap? 

Try http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ website for reviews of products. He can help you decide between products. I have not found any real deals yet on GPS HR watches.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

2012-07-22 12:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
newbie99 - 2012-07-20 8:21 PM

I have a Garmin 110. It does what I want it to do, except for the occasional shutting down. I haven't had that problem since but when it happened in the middle of the marathon it was rather frustrating.

When I was at the Expo in Seattle, they had a new watch out - Motorola Activ or something like that. It has a GPS, etc. but also has 8MB of storage for songs. It's blue tooth compatible too. Anyway, it looked pretty neat but was $249. Earlier this week I got an email that they are on sale until August 31 for $199. I don't know anything about them but they looked pretty cool. Even though I rarely run with tunes and when I do its with my iPod Shuffle which weighs next to nothing, I still like this watch.

I got my wife the Garmin 210 for her birthday. Since she is having knee surgery at the end of August I have a feeling I will "inherit" it. I got it for her because she could use the foot pod since she liked to bike/run indoors. She won't be doing anything for almost 6 months except PT.

Good luck with your search. I used a Timex for a long time and once I got home, make a protein shake and go drive the route I ran to figure out my distance. It worked and the Timex was quite a bit cheaper than the Garmin. Probably more reliable too since its never quit and I don't have to charge it.

My $.02

ETA: I got the Garmin for the heart rate feature and I do like it. That has really helped me understand my runs better and be more accurate than my RPE without it. It also lets me know that yes I am working as I should be or that I'm sluffing. If it wasn't for the heart rate though I'd probably stick with a Timex. I also tend to run the same country roads and each intersection is a mile apart, so that helps me know my distances.

Edited by stevesflyshop 2012-07-22 12:08 AM
2012-07-22 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Hey All, sorry I've been MIA again.  Training for the Rock N' Roll Chicago Half left me toast.  Here's the UGLY result from this morning.  The positives: I went injury-free, I stayed cool, and I had fun.  

START	00:00:00	6:45:07 am	--
5K 00:33:52 7:18:58 am 10:54
10K 01:09:15 7:54:21 am 11:24
10M 01:54:53 8:39:59 am 12:04
FINISH 02:33:48 9:18:54 am 12:31
Avg. Pace 11:44
This was my slowest 13.1 by at least 15 minutes, but I was OK with it.  The heat and humidity were brutal.

2012-07-22 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
2012-07-22 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
newbie99 - 2012-07-20 8:21 PM

April, I second Bryan's suggestion about DCRainmaker.com.  That guy is awesome.

I had a Garmin 305 for years, it was a phenomenal product.  The only drawback is that it didn't do water, so it was useless for swimming.  The 310XT is waterproof, but both models will cost you near $400.

The Timex Ironman GPS is pretty good for the $.  The guy I sold my Garmin to said he had the Ironman GPS and it was a POS, but I think that's unusual.  It definitely takes longer to lock in a signal, and the downloading of data isn't as intuitive as the Garmin, but for the price it's great.

Check the Equipment forum on BT- lots of opinionated people around here

2012-07-22 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
And on the subject of GPS.  I don't think there's a single piece of equipment that will help you more than a GPS.  The HR data is invaluable, and the pace keeps you honest.  Definitely look at getting one... but be mindful that they can get really expensive.

2012-07-23 9:07 AM

User image

New user
Seattle

Speaking of equipment...I was asking if anyone had heard of a "wetronome".  This was a product from the Australian Swim Smooth group and now has become a Finis product.  It is the Finis Temp Trainer Pro.  I have ordered one and when it comes, I'll post a report.

Good job Matt!  Good luck racers this weekend!

2012-07-23 9:22 AM

User image

Here's a blast from the past.  I'm still alive...and still training!

I've been very busy the last month to a month and a half.  I've been keeping up with my training well, but haven't been on here in what seems like forever.  Even though I haven't been logging it on here, I have been running 2-3 times a week, swimming 3x a week, and cycling whenever I can.  My wife and I have started our training schedule for the Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge. I also bought a trainer on Craigslist, so the cycling miles have increased now that I can jump on for 30-40 minutes in the morning or at night (traffic in my area is very dangerous, 2 bicycle fatalities in 3 years) and not have to rely on going on trails or driving to safe roads on the weekend.  My wife and I invested in clipless pedals and shoes for my wife's birthday.  Our LBS was having a big TDF sale and we got 2 set of pedals and my Bontrager shoes 25% off and her Mavic shoes 50% off.

BUT the BIG NEWS is that I swam my very first 400 m set on Friday! I didn't want to put pressure on myself, so I didn't time it exactly but I do know it was under 8 minutes.  I actually feel like I could finish a sprint tri now, which is huge because in March I could barely complete 50 m.

Now I'm looking to sign up for tri's in my area and KNOW I can complete them, it's a scary but exciting feeling.

Edited by GatorRunner 2012-07-23 9:24 AM
2012-07-23 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4324165

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Sounds like a great race! Except for the heat of course. It's been in the news a lot here how hot it is in places like Chicago, so I'm really impressed. I like PRs, but I also like to run races with awesome courses without thinking of time at all, like when I ran at the beach and it was just such a beautiful run. I'd love to run through downtown Chicago or along the waterfront, sounds pretty awesome. Congrats on the race, staying cool, no injuries and having fun! That's cool that they had chocolate milk at the end, is that typical?
2012-07-23 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4325226

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Sounds like a busy schedule. Congrats on the swim, nice job! That's a pretty fast time, under 8 mins. You will kick some butt at whatever tri you decide to do. Hope you can do one soon to keep that confidence up, sounds like you are more than ready!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  

of 25