BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-06 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4564736

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED
zee744 - 2013-01-06 8:14 PM

Hope everyone is having a better weekend than I am. I work part time and on my way home at 11:30 last night (after working from 4:00-11:30pm post my logged workouts) I decided to go for a drive and listen to some tunes. Well my eyes blinking one time must have turned into a few seconds of dozing off, I opened my eyes right before I smashed into the back of a parked car on a narrow two way street. I'm fine and nobody was injured. Can't say the same for my car or his. Insurance company says mine may be a total loss. To make matters worse, I owe more on my car than it is probably worth. My finances were already a light due to the bike build I'm doing so this doesn't help. The build is being put on hold for obvious reasons, but I sold my bike to fund the build, so yeah. 

If anyone is really familiar with insurance, car loans or anything about this process I could surely use some advice. 

That sounds awful. I'm glad you are physically ok. Apart from the financial implications - which are important- there's the hassle factor of not having a car - and not a bike either???.  I can't help you on the money side but I hope you manage to sort it out.

2013-01-06 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Tomorrow it will be 21 weeks till my very first half iron man. Tomorrow I will start the bt plan (with a few tweaks on the running side) and,as it is a 20 week plan I plan to do the first week twice.

Jennifer

2013-01-06 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
zee744 - 2013-01-06 12:14 PM

Hope everyone is having a better weekend than I am. I work part time and on my way home at 11:30 last night (after working from 4:00-11:30pm post my logged workouts) I decided to go for a drive and listen to some tunes. Well my eyes blinking one time must have turned into a few seconds of dozing off, I opened my eyes right before I smashed into the back of a parked car on a narrow two way street. I'm fine and nobody was injured. Can't say the same for my car or his. Insurance company says mine may be a total loss. To make matters worse, I owe more on my car than it is probably worth. My finances were already a light due to the bike build I'm doing so this doesn't help. The build is being put on hold for obvious reasons, but I sold my bike to fund the build, so yeah. 

If anyone is really familiar with insurance, car loans or anything about this process I could surely use some advice. 

Ouch! So glad you are ok. It's going to be tough on the financial end but hopefully you'll get more for your car than you are expecting.

2013-01-06 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4564811

User image

Expert
San Jose
jennifer65 - 2013-01-06 1:29 PM

Tomorrow it will be 21 weeks till my very first half iron man. Tomorrow I will start the bt plan (with a few tweaks on the running side) and,as it is a 20 week plan I plan to do the first week twice.

Jennifer

Are you excited to get started? I always love the start of things

2013-01-06 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4564675

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-06 2:07 PM

On a totally non tri note I foster for our local animal shelter. I usually take in kittens and grow them up and socialize them so they are more adoptable. I decided to take on a mama and her day old puppies this time around for some puppy fun. Here is a recent video of them at 6 weeks. We're hoping that most of them will be 'pre-adopted' when people see all of their cuteness. Otherwise, they will still go quick once they are back at the shelter. The big black dog is ours. He's 13 and we got him from a shelter when he was a year old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm-b74ViBzA

Nice that you do that and I am glad I don't live near you or we would adopt one them!  I already have a lab and a cat that run our house! 

2013-01-06 4:45 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
zee744 - 2013-01-06 3:14 PM

I am glad you are ok Nate, too bad you are having to deal with this.  Unfortunately, in my business I deal with stuff too often.  One thing to keep in mind is that insurance values are a bit generous compared to market values in a lot of cases.  If you are close you may want to be a little aggresive in pushing for them not to total it.  Even if you have to live with some used parts.  A good body shop will put together so you will never know. 

If you need to borrow a bike and I am close in size I have a Trek tri bike that I replaced last year but havent done anything with.  I am heading your way in February and you are welcome to borrow it until you can get all this sorted out.  I think it is a medium or a 54 cm.

Edited by kenj 2013-01-06 4:45 PM

2013-01-06 4:46 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
jennifer65 - 2013-01-06 4:29 PM

Jennifer

Fun times Jennifer!! Let us know how you like the plan!

2013-01-06 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jennifer65 - 2013-01-06 3:29 PM

Jennifer

I just started week 2 - so we will be pretty close in training schedules!

2013-01-06 9:27 PM

User image

First week I hit every planned workout--hooray!  I think it might be having a group of people I feel accountable to.  Thanks!

I am coming to the conclusion, however, that I really dislike the base building part of training.  It's soooooooo booooooooring.  Last year I just skipped it and went right into the higher intensity stuff, and while my sprint races went well I didn't have the strength to race the Olys.  So this year I am committed to sticking to the base building plan but I DON'T ENJOY IT!!    Anyone else feel the same way?  

I also hate strength training.  There, I said it.  Don't throw things at me.  SOOOOOOO BORING.  I'd love to try crossfit, but no gym close to my house.  I do have access to some classes at my gym and so I've been doing pilates and body pump 2-3 times a week.  I think it's helping, I noticed my posture seemed much better on my run.  What else do you all do for strength training this time of year, especially if you are ADHD like me? 

2013-01-06 9:29 PM

User image

Nate, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident.  I hope the insurance works out ok.
2013-01-06 11:56 PM
in reply to: #4565250

User image

Master
Sin City
RunningJoke - 2013-01-06 7:27 PM

First week I hit every planned workout--hooray!  I think it might be having a group of people I feel accountable to.  Thanks!

I am coming to the conclusion, however, that I really dislike the base building part of training.  It's soooooooo booooooooring.  Last year I just skipped it and went right into the higher intensity stuff, and while my sprint races went well I didn't have the strength to race the Olys.  So this year I am committed to sticking to the base building plan but I DON'T ENJOY IT!!    Anyone else feel the same way?  

I also hate strength training.  There, I said it.  Don't throw things at me.  SOOOOOOO BORING.  I'd love to try crossfit, but no gym close to my house.  I do have access to some classes at my gym and so I've been doing pilates and body pump 2-3 times a week.  I think it's helping, I noticed my posture seemed much better on my run.  What else do you all do for strength training this time of year, especially if you are ADHD like me? 

Can't help you with base building, because I don't do longer distances, yet. . However, for Strength training, I follow some things on Skimble app that I downloaded onto my tablet and do what I want to do. Think of it as doing boot camp at home. Some people are dedicated to strength training 3x a week, I'm not really that into it, and mainly do it to have better core and flexibility.

2013-01-07 12:06 AM
in reply to: #4564730

User image

Master
Sin City
zee744 - 2013-01-06 12:07 PM

On a totally non tri note I foster for our local animal shelter. I usually take in kittens and grow them up and socialize them so they are more adoptable. I decided to take on a mama and her day old puppies this time around for some puppy fun. Here is a recent video of them at 6 weeks. We're hoping that most of them will be 'pre-adopted' when people see all of their cuteness. Otherwise, they will still go quick once they are back at the shelter. The big black dog is ours. He's 13 and we got him from a shelter when he was a year old.

How cute! I adopted two kittens about 10 months ago, definitely the way to go. My boys, Calvin and Hobbes, are awesome!

When I adopted a buff colored kitty, I named him Hobbes! I was hoping to get another boy kitty and name him Calvin, but we moved to Vegas and named our animals Vegas theme: Stardust (dog), Blackjack, (RIP from FIP, BEST cat ever...I was so pi$$ed when he died), Reno, Keno (who was Reno's blood sister, she had FeLV, and wasn't tested by the rescue, only 1 kitten from the litter was tested and they assumed all was negative...again, I was upset when I had to put her to sleep after she turned for the worse), Penny and Telly (sisters named after Penn and Teller). After 5 cats and a dog, it's enough for this household!!!
2013-01-07 12:08 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I don't mind the base training but would rater it be outside than on the trainer.

For strength I do some Kettlebell workouts as well as a more traditional weight training program from my coach, but it's specifically for cycling/triathlon.
2013-01-07 7:25 AM
in reply to: #4565250

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
RunningJoke - 2013-01-06 10:27 PM

Like Brian, i kind of like base building, but not inside.

I'm not much for strength training either. It fell off during my first base build and stopped completely a year ago when i dislocated my shoulder. Now that I'm healed there is no excuse but time (and it wont help me in races). But a couple of weeks ago, i struggled lugging a sack of ice-melt from my shed and thought that enough is enough. I started back slow with no real structure. Basically i spend about 4 minutes every hour or two or three at work doing something. Like 2 minutes of core (planks, crunches) followed by 2 minutes of upper body stuff (pushups, light dumbell work). It breaks up the day, but i'm keeping it short enough to hold off heavy sweating in the workplace. Of course this would all be harder if i didnt have a door on my office.

2013-01-07 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Thanks everyone!! Staying positive. I'm healthy and its only money!
2013-01-07 7:37 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Base season can be a bit boring, especially for the run since you shouldn't push the pace or do much if any speed work.  The bike can have some intensity since the risk of injury is less, but the real goal at this time is to build the endurance.  What helps me, especially when I am stuck inside on longer runs or rides is to keep my goals in mind.  Try not to think of the boredom, but think about the work you are banking away and how great the season will be because of the work you are doing now. 

I also have some pictures up in my workout room that show me and my finish times.  I always want to do better, so this adds some motivation as well!

As far as strength training goes, this can be very individual.  For some, doing very little of it has no impact at all while others feel it has a big impact on their race results.  Some of it is also the definition of strength training.  I think that the core type functional training helps a lot, where doing dumbell curls doesn't.  I like to do the boot camp style training with a lot of ab work.  Plyometrics works well for me as well.  Those doing kettle bells are getting a similar style workout as well. 

I have also had to do a lot of shoulder specific work this past year just to recuperate from the surgery. 

Great conversations folks!!  Keep it going!

2013-01-07 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Happy Monday to all!

Started the morning with finally getting back to masters swim. It was 39 on the pool deck but comfortable in the water. It always kills me how out of breath I am after taking some weeks off. Fitness gets away from me so quickly! I know it'll get better soon As long as I keep going......

Everybody ready for a new week? Last week was good, workout wise, but this week feels like the holidays are really over so no excuses.

I started a 3 day detox today. I usually don't do this type of thing because I like my food but this one is all 'real' food. I figured after all the sugar I ate in the last month, this would help get me back to some clean eating.

This is what I'm following:

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/article/3-day-detox-plan

2013-01-07 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Those things are too cute.  I've never had a real puppy.  Our guy was almost a year old when he came to us, more of a 70lb lunatic than a puppy.

2013-01-07 10:05 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-06 1:07 PM

That's GREAT!!   My wife worked at the local humain society at one time.  We ended up with 2dogs/3cats/2 lizards/and fish at one time!  We've always done rescues, but 2 of the cats were my wifes before we were married.  Sadly, half of them have passed.  We actually just lost a cat about a month ago.  My wife still works as a vet assistant, and owns a pet sitting/taxi business.  She does tri's and runs for team PAWS every year and we donate and raise money/pet supplies for them from the business too.  Love our animals!!

2013-01-07 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4565820

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-07 10:43 AM

Happy Monday to all!

Started the morning with finally getting back to masters swim. It was 39 on the pool deck but comfortable in the water. It always kills me how out of breath I am after taking some weeks off. Fitness gets away from me so quickly! I know it'll get better soon As long as I keep going......

Everybody ready for a new week? Last week was good, workout wise, but this week feels like the holidays are really over so no excuses.

I started a 3 day detox today. I usually don't do this type of thing because I like my food but this one is all 'real' food. I figured after all the sugar I ate in the last month, this would help get me back to some clean eating.

This is what I'm following:

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/article/3-day-detox-plan

Good for you getting back to the pool!  The fitness will come back pretty quick if you stay consistant! 

I don't think I could make it till noon on that diet!  Embarassed But the wife and I have done well since the first just cutting back and eating better.  Of course, it helps that there isn't a lot of junk around the house and no one is filling the breakroom at work with cookies and candies!!  I have great willpower as long as there is nothing there to tempt me!  Cool

2013-01-07 11:22 AM

User image

Peekskill, NY
Amen to that! Food temptation has always been my biggest issue. Anytime I hit the in-laws house, I'm screwed up. Otherwise it's a whole foods non processed kind if home we keep, which works out just fine. Heading out for a short run now, hope everyone enjoyed there weekend!

2013-01-07 12:28 PM

User image

zee744 - 2013-01-06 3:14 PM

Insurance is what I do so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I dont remember where you said you are but you may be able to keep your car if it is a total loss. You will just have to get a salvage title. If you still owe money on it the bank may give you a hard time about it though. Also if the do total it out pay close attention to you valuation. Depending on the insurance company they like to nickle and dime you and sometimes leave off options. Hope everything works out and glad you didnt get hurt.

2013-01-07 12:32 PM

User image

I had a sucky run yesterday and didnt even put in my six because I hated every minute on the treadmill. Physically I felt fine, my heart rate didnt even get out of control, I just did not want to be there.

On a better note I had a pretty decent swim this morning. Im starting for the beginning with the ability to float as my only strong point. But I think I am starting to get my body rotation down and I'm not kicking like a frantic kid in the water!

I have a question about bike to run bricks.  Is it something you guys do every week, throw it in occasionally or just towards the end? I'm currently base building as well and I am not sure if it something I should really focus a lot on.

2013-01-07 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4566286

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Mission2be - 2013-01-07 12:32 PM

I have a question about bike to run bricks.  Is it something you guys do every week, throw it in occasionally or just towards the end? I'm currently base building as well and I am not sure if it something I should really focus a lot on.

There are definitely some differing opinions on this.  Personally, I just throw them in everyonce in a while or do them because of time constraints.  There's a book called The Time Crunched Triathlete that advocates a lot of bricks.  I guess if you work into your plan a design to improve run fitness after the bike it works well.  But, IMO there are other ways to improve your run.  I don't sweat it, just do them every once in while to remember how it feels!

2013-01-07 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4566286

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Mission2be - 2013-01-07 1:32 PM

I had a sucky run yesterday and didnt even put in my six because I hated every minute on the treadmill. Physically I felt fine, my heart rate didnt even get out of control, I just did not want to be there.

On a better note I had a pretty decent swim this morning. Im starting for the beginning with the ability to float as my only strong point. But I think I am starting to get my body rotation down and I'm not kicking like a frantic kid in the water!

I agree with Brian.  There are good oportunities to get in a short run after a bike and avoid a second trip to the gym or shower or just to save time.  I think this the more valuable part of doing bricks regularly.  A few bricks in the weeks leading up to a race can have value, especially for new triathletes just to get a feeling of what it is like to run off the bike as it is different.

THose that argue against doing bricks are generally saying that every, or most every workout is important regardless of the intensity and you need to be rested, I get that.  But for those that are time limited, there is certainly value in getting the extra training in.  The key is to make sure that the brick runs are done on days that are not key workouts for the run, like long run or higher intensity days. 

Most plans on BT have bricks built into them every few weeks and are specific about how to approach them.  This far out, bricks should be done more as a convenience in my opinion.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64