BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-02-04 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4606670

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed

Leegoocrap - 2013-02-03 4:19 PM May have pulled my inner thigh on my long run yesterday... Reallllyyyy bummed out if I did. Hopefully it's just a strain, fingers crossed.

sucks, take it easy and you'll be back up and running in no time.  

im just starting to run again, put in 8 today.  its been warmer in wichita than i thought it would be; very happy about that.  

2013-02-04 9:22 PM
in reply to: #4549367

Columbus, OH
Had my second swim lesson this passed Saturday, got some great tips from the main man that ran the thing this time around. I apparently have better form than i ever thought i did but he suggested some pretty significant changes to the recovery portion of my stroke. Its nice to have someone just wath u swim and point out some of the small things... And to tie to that i was able to swim 300 yards without stopping today. So im improving!
2013-02-05 4:07 AM
in reply to: #4608711

Cwlodyka - 2013-02-05 3:22 AMHad my second swim lesson this passed Saturday, got some great tips from the main man that ran the thing this time around. I apparently have better form than i ever thought i did but he suggested some pretty significant changes to the recovery portion of my stroke. Its nice to have someone just wath u swim and point out some of the small things... And to tie to that i was able to swim 300 yards without stopping today. So im improving!

That sounds awesome, really great feeling when you know you are making improvements!

I had a really I good swim this morning, not much sleep last night so I thought I was going to be really terrible but after my first 3 lengths I felt really good and first off swam 125m which for me is brilliant :P after that I just kept doing 3 easy lengths focusing on my form then on the 4th I would go as fast as I could while still keeping form. By the end of my session I was so exhausted I was back to doing 50s lol.

2013-02-05 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4608590

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Clempson - 2013-02-04 9:11 PM

Leegoocrap - 2013-02-03 4:19 PM May have pulled my inner thigh on my long run yesterday... Reallllyyyy bummed out if I did. Hopefully it's just a strain, fingers crossed.

sucks, take it easy and you'll be back up and running in no time.  

im just starting to run again, put in 8 today.  its been warmer in wichita than i thought it would be; very happy about that.  

That's the hope anyways!

Sounds like you're back at it pretty well. Yay for any time it's warmer than usual.

2013-02-05 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4608711

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Cwlodyka - 2013-02-04 10:22 PM Had my second swim lesson this passed Saturday, got some great tips from the main man that ran the thing this time around. I apparently have better form than i ever thought i did but he suggested some pretty significant changes to the recovery portion of my stroke. Its nice to have someone just wath u swim and point out some of the small things... And to tie to that i was able to swim 300 yards without stopping today. So im improving!

Sounds great!

That's one of the things with swimming... just a tiny thing here and there can make a huge difference!

2013-02-05 6:26 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Took today totally off. Leg seems to be feeling a little better with RICE'ing, just trying to keep from aggravating it any farther.

Driving me crazy though Oh well.

2013-02-05 8:52 PM

Columbus, OH
Been researching the changes my swim lesson recommended, while i seemed to like them there seem to be many mixed reviews. Essentially my swim coach recommended what i am finding is called a 'straight arm recovery'. Anyone have any optinions on it? I feel it takes away a lot of tension off my shoulders and actually helps remove the 'dead' portion of my stroke by lengthening it. Still in the infant stages for me, but i plan on listening to those i am paying to teach me! But honest opinions are welcome!

Edited by Cwlodyka 2013-02-05 8:53 PM
2013-02-06 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4610374

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

From everything I've ever read about straight arm style, it lets you generate a bit more power (and speed) but requires quite a bit more energy to maintain, making it a "sprinter only" type of style for the most part.

I think Phelps experimented with it after Beijing, but I didn't notice it in London.

Still, I'd rather take the advice of the person on the deck than the guy on the computer

2013-02-06 3:28 PM

Missed my swim this evening because I came home, layed down on my bed and fell fast asleep, when I got up it was too dark to run through the woods without a headlamp :P

starting a new job on Monday too so I'll need to get up and 5am to get to the pool for 6.20am swim before I start work. Starting that early will be a new one for me

Edited by Quintillion 2013-02-06 3:31 PM
2013-02-06 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4611711

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Quintillion - 2013-02-06 4:28 PM Missed my swim this evening because I came home, layed down on my bed and fell fast asleep, when I got up it was too dark to run through the woods without a headlamp :P

starting a new job on Monday too so I'll need to get up and 5am to get to the pool for 6.20am swim before I start work. Starting that early will be a new one for me

Buy an Espresso maker That's what gets me through morning sessions.

2013-02-07 4:14 AM
in reply to: #4611892

Leegoocrap - 2013-02-07 12:24 AM
Quintillion - 2013-02-06 4:28 PM Missed my swim this evening because I came home, layed down on my bed and fell fast asleep, when I got up it was too dark to run through the woods without a headlamp :P

hah you're right. I have a moka pot so I will drink that on the way. I dreading it, can't believe you do it so often!

2013-02-07 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Last 3 days I've been a slug.  I planned on taking one of the days off because I had just biked 9 days in a row.  The other two days fell due to laziness and now we're supposed to get smacked around by this massive snow storm which will probably alter my swim plans this weekend.  However good news is that dr looked at the xrays and determined there is nothing wrong with my foot.  I hate it when they say it like that because obviously something is wrong, my foot hurts (or did hurt more before) so there is something not right there.  2 more weeks of rest then I can try it out.  It's a little cranky in the morning but feels 100% by mid-day.

2013-02-07 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Well, my training has recently taken a hit thanks to a bout with the norovirus that started on Sunday. I rarely get sick, so it was definitely a shock! On the plus side, I think I may have dropped a couple of pounds thanks to it. I'm feeling better now, but with dinner plans tonight (it's my birthday!) and a drive up to VT in the hopes to beat the storm, there won't be any exercise I can fit in the next couple of days. As for the weekend, no actual training, but we're hoping to get in some great snowshoeing on Saturday, then it's off to Okemo on Sunday. I can't wait!
2013-02-07 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4612239

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Quintillion - 2013-02-07 5:14 AM
Leegoocrap - 2013-02-07 12:24 AM

hah you're right. I have a moka pot so I will drink that on the way. I dreading it, can't believe you do it so often!

haha, I was thinking just a bit ago I hope I can get back to it sooooon!

2013-02-07 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4612331

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
jonD81 - 2013-02-07 7:55 AM

Last 3 days I've been a slug.  I planned on taking one of the days off because I had just biked 9 days in a row.  The other two days fell due to laziness and now we're supposed to get smacked around by this massive snow storm which will probably alter my swim plans this weekend.  However good news is that dr looked at the xrays and determined there is nothing wrong with my foot.  I hate it when they say it like that because obviously something is wrong, my foot hurts (or did hurt more before) so there is something not right there.  2 more weeks of rest then I can try it out.  It's a little cranky in the morning but feels 100% by mid-day.

Hope it gets cleared up quick! I know last year I had all kinds of tests done and they couldn't find anything for my hamstring. Really annoying that you know it's not right and they're telling you "we can't find anything... take 3 weeks off"

Be careful with the storm, looks like it's going to be a pretty bad one.

2013-02-07 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4612943

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

KiterChick - 2013-02-07 12:44 PM Well, my training has recently taken a hit thanks to a bout with the norovirus that started on Sunday. I rarely get sick, so it was definitely a shock! On the plus side, I think I may have dropped a couple of pounds thanks to it. I'm feeling better now, but with dinner plans tonight (it's my birthday!) and a drive up to VT in the hopes to beat the storm, there won't be any exercise I can fit in the next couple of days. As for the weekend, no actual training, but we're hoping to get in some great snowshoeing on Saturday, then it's off to Okemo on Sunday. I can't wait!

Be careful going towards the storm and out snowshoeing (especially if you still aren't feeling well) but have a great time!

And most importantly of course... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

2013-02-07 10:31 PM

User image

Cleveland OH

wow yeah be careful you two up in New England.  Wish I was there with ya,  I love the snow. 

Squeezed in a 6 mile run today,  Another long week with work.

Meeting at 9 tomorrow then hopefully to the Rec Center to Swim and ride. 

Leegocrap  how is your leg/thigh Feeling? 

I signed up for a new race, 

http://www.relayaroundcolumbus.com/  

pretty cool race,  I think im going to get stuck with the longest leg, looks like I am one of the stronger runners on the team.

2013-02-07 10:34 PM
in reply to: #4612331

User image

Cleveland OH
jonD81 - 2013-02-07 7:55 AM

Yeah take it easy man, it obviously needs more time to heel if it still hurts.  I agree with Leego about taking 3 weeks off.  Hopefully you can get in a swim friday or saturday before you build snowmen outside with your kiddo.  Have fun and enjoy it.

2013-02-08 6:20 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
For those of you that live in a more relaxed part of the country than the immediate Boston area (which is pretty much anywhere besides maybe New York) I feel bad for you that you'll never know the absolute mass hysteria that accompanies extreme weather like a blizzard.  You know that scene in Finding Nemo with the seagulls and "Mine, mine, mine, mine" that's how everyone is right now except it's "Snow, snow, snow, snow".  Everyone is so wound up about the storm.  Yeah, it's supposed to be a lot of snow but chances are it will snow, then stop, we'll shovel, then go about our lives complaining about the snow.  If you ever really want to see people lose their proverbeal sh*t, plan a vacation to the suburbs of Boston in the winter and pray for a snow storm.  You'll get home and appreciate the sanity of those around you.
2013-02-08 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4613765

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
smithat05 - 2013-02-07 11:31 PM

wow yeah be careful you two up in New England.  Wish I was there with ya,  I love the snow. 

Squeezed in a 6 mile run today,  Another long week with work.

Meeting at 9 tomorrow then hopefully to the Rec Center to Swim and ride. 

Leegocrap  how is your leg/thigh Feeling? 

I signed up for a new race, 

http://www.relayaroundcolumbus.com/  

pretty cool race,  I think im going to get stuck with the longest leg, looks like I am one of the stronger runners on the team.

That looks like a sweet race!

I'm starting to believe it's a hip flexor (I previously injured the same hip flexor in 2010) as opposed to strained groin. Tough to tell since all that area is so well entwined.  Pain has gotten better over the week it seems (and I've regained mobility stretching) so I'm hoping it's on the quick mend. I'll probably still be out for the rest of the week. Training had been going great too.

2013-02-08 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4613903

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

jonD81 - 2013-02-08 7:20 AM For those of you that live in a more relaxed part of the country than the immediate Boston area (which is pretty much anywhere besides maybe New York) I feel bad for you that you'll never know the absolute mass hysteria that accompanies extreme weather like a blizzard.  You know that scene in Finding Nemo with the seagulls and "Mine, mine, mine, mine" that's how everyone is right now except it's "Snow, snow, snow, snow".  Everyone is so wound up about the storm.  Yeah, it's supposed to be a lot of snow but chances are it will snow, then stop, we'll shovel, then go about our lives complaining about the snow.  If you ever really want to see people lose their proverbeal sh*t, plan a vacation to the suburbs of Boston in the winter and pray for a snow storm.  You'll get home and appreciate the sanity of those around you.

I never get the "Oh crap" mentality up north... I mean... it's February! Of course it's going to snow! Isn't that pretty normal?

Like, if people went ape #@% crazy in Miami when it snowed 2ft, I'd understand... but up north...

2013-02-08 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4614059

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Leegoocrap - 2013-02-08 9:14 AM

jonD81 - 2013-02-08 7:20 AM For those of you that live in a more relaxed part of the country than the immediate Boston area (which is pretty much anywhere besides maybe New York) I feel bad for you that you'll never know the absolute mass hysteria that accompanies extreme weather like a blizzard.  You know that scene in Finding Nemo with the seagulls and "Mine, mine, mine, mine" that's how everyone is right now except it's "Snow, snow, snow, snow".  Everyone is so wound up about the storm.  Yeah, it's supposed to be a lot of snow but chances are it will snow, then stop, we'll shovel, then go about our lives complaining about the snow.  If you ever really want to see people lose their proverbeal sh*t, plan a vacation to the suburbs of Boston in the winter and pray for a snow storm.  You'll get home and appreciate the sanity of those around you.

I never get the "Oh crap" mentality up north... I mean... it's February! Of course it's going to snow! Isn't that pretty normal?

Like, if people went ape #@% crazy in Miami when it snowed 2ft, I'd understand... but up north...

This part of the country is really unique in that regard that everyone is batsh*t crazy about weather.  Last year we had a pretty mellow winter all things considered and people were freaking out about all the ozone stuff.  This year we're going to get pounded by this storm so now everyone is freaking out that it's snowing.  I blame the internet.  And Facebook.  But mostly the internet.

I lived in Colorado for a year and it was awesome.  No one cared about the weather, it didn't impact your plans, if you wanted to go golfing on Saturday you didn't have to check the 5 day forecast to make sure it wasn't going to be 30* below the normal seasonal temps, you just went. 

2013-02-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4613903

jonD81 - 2013-02-08 12:20 PMFor those of you that live in a more relaxed part of the country than the immediate Boston area (which is pretty much anywhere besides maybe New York) I feel bad for you that you'll never know the absolute mass hysteria that accompanies extreme weather like a blizzard.  You know that scene in Finding Nemo with the seagulls and "Mine, mine, mine, mine" that's how everyone is right now except it's "Snow, snow, snow, snow".  Everyone is so wound up about the storm.  Yeah, it's supposed to be a lot of snow but chances are it will snow, then stop, we'll shovel, then go about our lives complaining about the snow.  If you ever really want to see people lose their proverbeal sh*t, plan a vacation to the suburbs of Boston in the winter and pray for a snow storm.  You'll get home and appreciate the sanity of those around you.

that's what it's like in Scotland, you would think people would be used to it by now!

2013-02-08 11:02 AM

Not running to night, going on a 2 day hike through the mountains with some friends so I'm saving my energy. There's been a few avalanches in the area so hope to be back on Monday have a good weekend everyone!
2013-02-08 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
I'm staying put this weekend after all since the woman we were going to rent from was worried about our lack of 4WD so she offered us another weekend in March. Now I'm all settled in just outside of Boston. Personally, I can't wait for tomorrow! We're definitely still planning on snowshoeing, just now on the Minuteman bike path instead of in the woods of VT.

Take care of all of those injuries everyone. The way I look at it is that we're getting them out of the way early and setting ourselves up for a healthy 2013 season!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39