BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-06-17 6:56 AM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Ooooh, Charlie, that's a beautiful place to swim!!

2013-06-17 7:14 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by Hildebeast

x2 ...so jealous!

2013-06-17 7:15 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by Meljoypip

Kristen, VERY nice bike- I love it!!!

OK, I christen my bike, Arya.

This is after Arya Stark; I just started reading the Games of Thrones series and she is one of my favorites so far. She's definitely a beast, or will be if she grows up, these characters are vicious.

Yes...nice bike Kristen!

I have the season finale of Game of Thrones to watch.  Arya is also one of my favorites!

2013-06-17 7:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Originally posted by hoffsquared

x2 ...so jealous!

YES X3! Absolutely gorgeous beaches.

Just thinking about deceptive beauty with those nasty sting-rays below the surface.....

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-17 7:58 AM
2013-06-17 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana
My random thoughts:

Bike name: I ride a Trek Madone and her name is Mildred or Millie when she feels sexy. I had a bike when I was younger that was red, white and blue and I called her "Wonder Woman." I thought I was Linda Carter, too.

OWS: I love the pictures of the surf. You folks that swim in the ocean are my heros. I think that is real brute. I put my foot in the river this weekend ....

A/C: I grew up in a house that didn't have A/C. I propped a box fan up on a chair at the foot of my bed and slept on the sheets. I can remember the awe I felt when I purchased my first home that had central air. We don't have humidity here so I can't imagine being sticky and melting.

Home brewed tri: I am planning one for the end of this month. We have a house outside my hometown with a pool for the summer. I have rigged up a swim tether system. Once I get medical clearance to get in the water, I am going to swim for 30 minutes on the tether in whatever style that works. Then streak through the pool shed for transition and bike to town (17 miles) and then ditch the bike at my mom's and run from her house to my sister's house (4 miles). She will let me hose off with her sprinkler, give me a towel, an orange and bottled water and give me a ride to my car.

Happy days, Beasties!

2013-06-17 6:20 PM

User image

New user

Originally posted by hoffsquared

x2 ...so jealous!

YES X3! Absolutely gorgeous beaches.

Just thinking about deceptive beauty with those nasty sting-rays below the surface.....

thank you Hilde, Melanie, Melody.

@Mel, there aren't any jellyfish in this beach, luckily. and this is a sheltered area too. Jellyfish beach is nearer my place, just 3km away. it's also a beautiful area. it's a 2km stretch beach with clear clean waters. actually the jellyfishes only appear during summer months. here it is pictured below:

(darapidap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
darapidap.jpg (92KB - 14 downloads)

2013-06-17 6:28 PM

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Nice beaches and swimming area
2013-06-17 6:53 PM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Wow Charlie - those beaches do look nice, especially compared to dingy ol' Lake Erie!

So race results were FINALLY posted and my race report is complete for those of you having trouble falling asleep tonight.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... - Hopefully the link works this time!
All in all, a pretty good race, and a PR by over 17 1/2 minutes. My goal was sub-3 hours and I did it just by the skin of my teeth.
I'll be hunting for another PR at my OLY in August, including a sub-60 run.
2013-06-18 2:09 AM
in reply to: arquillo

User image

New user
Originally posted by arquillo

Wow Charlie - those beaches do look nice, especially compared to dingy ol' Lake Erie!

So race results were FINALLY posted and my race report is complete for those of you having trouble falling asleep tonight.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... - Hopefully the link works this time!
All in all, a pretty good race, and a PR by over 17 1/2 minutes. My goal was sub-3 hours and I did it just by the skin of my teeth.

congratulations on your race Michelle.

good decision on taking it easy taking off your wetsuit. all that stretching would certainly worsen the cramp.
2013-06-18 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

congrats on a great race, Michelle!! you killed it on the bike! i feel like it was only a couple of weeks ago that you were hoping to get your bike speed back up into the 18mph zone, that's fantastic!!! all your hard work is paying off, keep it up!
2013-06-18 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

OMG what a day!!! So glad I'm off at 3:30 (for a whole week whoot whoot!!!) so I can go home and pack. I will have my iPad so hopefully checking in at BT a little and planing on running in cooler weather most days  

Michelle- AWESOME race!!! WAY to PR!!! I read your race report and will be commenting asap!!

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-18 2:18 PM

2013-06-19 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Michelle --- yep.  Awesome race.  Congrats!!  I forsee another 10 minutes being shaved off this season.

2013-06-19 7:43 PM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Originally posted by kpringle
i feel like it was only a couple of weeks ago that you were hoping to get your bike speed back up into the 18mph zone, that's fantastic!!!

It WAS only about 4-5 weeks ago - crazy, I seem to have gained speed overnight recently - no complaints for sure, but strange!

Thanks all for the kind comments regarding the race. And Melanie, you have a lot more faith in my abilities than I do - 10 minutes by August will be one tough goal! Guess these next couple of months, I'll have to be extra beastly.
2013-06-20 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by kpringle i feel like it was only a couple of weeks ago that you were hoping to get your bike speed back up into the 18mph zone, that's fantastic!!!
It WAS only about 4-5 weeks ago - crazy, I seem to have gained speed overnight recently - no complaints for sure, but strange! Thanks all for the kind comments regarding the race. And Melanie, you have a lot more faith in my abilities than I do - 10 minutes by August will be one tough goal! Guess these next couple of months, I'll have to be extra beastly.

I think you will be surprised.  It seems like you are on track for continued breakthrough performances.  Yes.  Be EXTRA Beastly.

2013-06-20 7:20 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I think my training mojo is back!!!

Several good nights sleep in a row.  Been doing my little morning strength routine.  Feel pretty darn motivated.  And...got my hair cut...this always helps!

2013-06-20 8:05 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
That's the good thing about motivation... it comes and it goes, but thankfully when it does come, it packs a BANG!  Whether you had a great race, or have been slogging through until the motivation sparks again, it sure is a nice ride while it is helping you along!!

2013-06-20 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
I picked up my bike after a tune-up on Monday. Unfotrunately they did not write down that I wanted new, black bar tape. I didn't want to leave any longer so I still have my dingy white-ish tape. They did get my shifting adjusted nicely and cleaned up the bike too.

I got in a ride and swim yesterday. I had a bit of an issue with tightening in my thigh near knee while swimming that I think was caused by my earlier biking on Tues and Wed. I'm hoping to do an OWS tomorrow as my last organized pool swim was last night.
2013-06-20 5:46 PM
in reply to: rustymom

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Andrea, putting on bar tape is not that hard... I looked at a couple of YouTube videos and did it myself... I've done it several times because I really wanted colored bar tape, but the only thing that seems to hold up and not look nasty after a couple of weeks is black... I'd do it for you if I was there!!
2013-06-20 6:55 PM

User image

New user
i'm currently using a second hand cannondale caad8 road bike with a profile design T2 aerobar. i was thinking of using a bullhorn on it. any input guys? pros, cons?

i talked to a triathlete friend he advised me against it. he said having a dropbar and an aerobar is like having better of both worlds

Edited by oldSAP 2013-06-21 3:08 AM
2013-06-21 7:12 AM

User image

New user
new swimming pool area which is a 7.3km bike ride from my place. it's a few meters away from a beach too.

the 3rd picture was taken from the resort's bamboo fence, while the fourth is the sunset view from the resort looking toward the beach.

Edited by oldSAP 2013-06-21 7:18 AM

(20130621_183714.jpg)

(20130621_183840.jpg)

(20130621_183637.jpg)

(20130621_183755.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20130621_183714.jpg (623KB - 9 downloads)
20130621_183840.jpg (671KB - 10 downloads)
20130621_183637.jpg (593KB - 9 downloads)
20130621_183755.jpg (385KB - 8 downloads)
2013-06-21 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Love your pics, Charlie, you live in a beautiful part of the world!

As far as bullhorns??  Having ridden a road bike and a tri bike, it is MUCH more comfortable to ride upright on road bar handlebars than bullhorns.  The geometry is so different when you are riding aero, it just doesn't fit well to sit up... I tend to agree with your friend and keep the drops... just my opinion though...

2013-06-21 5:51 PM

User image

Expert

What do you think about taking the front tire off and putting it in the backseat of my car? I'm not sure it would fit, but it might with the wheel off. I drive a Honda Accord.

A bit late, but: I drive a VW Rabbit, and that's exactly what I do-- whole bike fits quite happily in there, and I usually cover it up with some old blankets to make it less obvious...
2013-06-21 6:02 PM
in reply to: wrkinprogress

User image

Expert
My turn to say hi from being away: this time due to both computer issues (my home computer signaled its imminent demise by refusing to start, so I had to splash out on a replacement-- which I looooove...) and medical stuff: I finally had an appointment with my doctor, initially to get a referral to an allergist, but also to chat about why my HR seems to have been spiking so much lately. (Runs mid-week stank, even when the weather was ideal, so I knew it couldn't be allergies.) She ran an EKG and a blood oxygen test in the office (both fine) and sent me downstairs to have blood drawn for various tests. The next morning, she called me at home (!)-- turns out I'm iron-deficient (=anemia), which may well be causing both the HR spikes and the sluggishness I've been feeling lately (extra bonus points to my mom, who suggested asking the doc about that!). So I'm on iron pills for the next few months (yes, an Ironman has to take iron pills-- enjoy the iron-y...) and will check in with her after that. Also have a referral to an allergist to see what else might need doing, and in the meantime will get sent in for a colonoscopy to make sure nothing *really* unpleasant is contributing to the anemia (oh joy).

Aren't you all glad I have a new home computer I love playing with to update you all on all the gruesome details of my existence?

On to more interesting things: x2 on Hilde's advice re: bullhorns vs. drops-- the drops are far more comfortable for sitting up while riding. And yes, I name my bikes: my tri bike is Phoenix (for having survived last year's IM crash intact), and my roadie is Katana (long story involving ninjas). Both are Cervelos, and I love 'em!

Oh, and the homemade Oly went really smoothly, thanks for the good wishes!

Have wonderful weekends, all you Beasties!

Alex
2013-06-21 6:07 PM

User image

New user

Love your pics, Charlie, you live in a beautiful part of the world!

As far as bullhorns??  Having ridden a road bike and a tri bike, it is MUCH more comfortable to ride upright on road bar handlebars than bullhorns.  The geometry is so different when you are riding aero, it just doesn't fit well to sit up... I tend to agree with your friend and keep the drops... just my opinion though...

ok then, i'll keep the drop bars
2013-06-22 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice to see an update from you, Alex. Sorry you're not up to par. I hope the iron levels get to a good level and the reason for the drop is just dietary or something easy.

I had my first OWS of the year last night. I belong to a tri group, but don't really attend much. I read the facebook page and forum occasionally and enjoy the monthly emails. I went to one OWS last year with them. This swim was pretty well attended with about 10-12 of us. The majority did the far route to the island at the far end of the lake. 3 of us turned around at a flagpole that is rumored to be 1/2 mile each way.

It was good to be out there with a bunch of people who overall SBR are much faster than me. In the water maybe 4 are faster than me. Honestly I take a bit of satisfaction in that. My run and bike are so poor I need something for encouragement, LOL!

Speaking of run and bike, as usual, I need to get more consistent with these. Maybe I'll have a chance today to create a schedule for the next few weeks. I have a CPR and First Aid class this morning. Next week is full of evening swim practices for my son. Then the next week we'll be at my mother's beach house. Planning is probably a good idea.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29