BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-07-15 11:44 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN
Thought I'd share a personal achievement.

I've been really working on my swimming this summer. I try to get to the pool 4 times a week, even if I know I'll only get less than 2000m in.I have been coming out of the water waaaayyy at the back. That's not a huge problem, except with Xterra (which is about all I race), passing on singletrack isn't always easy and I get held up sometimes. I'm a fairly strong biker and I get stuck behind some rider occasionally.

Anyway, I got in the pool this evening and decided on a 1000 TT. Got my best time on that by far: 18:55. That's still slower that I'd like, but a HUGE improvement over where I was last year. In mid-August 2012, I swam a 1/2 mile in a race in 25:12. Anyway, i was proud of my improvement in my 1000 TT.

Happy training all! Suerte!

2013-07-17 10:12 AM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

Congratulations Suerte on your major accomplishment. Getting faster in the water is such a challenge!!

I have my first sprint triathlon coming up this Saturday, and then in 6 weeks i have the first olympic distance race of the summer. The sprint is part of my training plan. Question: Should i be concerned about tapering before the race on Saturday, or if I take Friday as a race day, is it o.k. to do at least 2 workouts Wednesday and Thursday, such as a run (3 miles) and a bike (13 miles)?
2013-07-18 5:46 AM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

New user
Madrid
Glad to hear there are some new triathletes here! I did my first sprint last June, and previous week took it easy, which proved extremely beneficial even mentally. Planning now on doing an Olympic in October with another Sprint in September, look forward to experts answers! Good luck!
2013-07-18 5:46 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Glad to hear there are some new triathletes here! I did my first sprint last June, and previous week took it easy, which proved extremely beneficial even mentally. Planning now on doing an Olympic in October with another Sprint in September, look forward to experts answers! Good luck!
2013-07-18 8:21 AM
in reply to: Juancho

Thank you Juancho. I meant to say this is my first race of this season. My last race was in August 2012 so i might as well be a beginner. As i watch our teenagers thrive, i have a renewed zest for training and racing.

In addition to the question about this week, i have another question. In September, I am giving a talk at a conference in Dublin, Ireland. The weekend we plan to arrive for the conference is the same week of the Grand Final of the ITU Triathlon Series in London. There is an open age group sprint for anyone - no qualification necessary. The route is on the 2012 Olympic Triathlon Course. The question: Should i register, and if i do, what do i do about a bike?
2013-07-19 4:29 PM

User image

Miami
Hi guys!

I apologize for being inactive this past week, but I have been traveling quite a bite and I had very limited access to my laptop.

I would like to share my biggest accomplishment so far in the triathlon world: this past weekend I did an Oly race and I won my AG and finished 3rd overall!!!! I couldn't believe it. Honestly, I felt great during the entire race and kept pushing and pushing hard until I crossed the finish line. I knew I did well, but I had no idea what my position was when I finished (we were sharing the course with a sprint and a duathlon races, so it was hard to see who was competing on each category until I passed them on the run).

Anyways, I am very proud of myself!! All this hours of training are paying off!

2013-07-20 2:38 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

Congratulations David. i had my first race of the season - first race in over 11 months. I had a great time with a few hiccups. my goggle strap broke just as i was about to get in the water and took 3 minutes to fix.
I came in 5th in AG among 6 participants. The 1st female in 55-59 was 6th overall female so her award was in other category. the 3rd in the 55-59 AG category who won an award was 13 seconds faster than me. i was glad to finish, and i learnt what i need to do to get on the podium.

I have a sprint race on August 10th (3 weeks), September 1st (6 weeks), and if i go September 15th in London, England (8 weeks) and October 12th (12 weeks). i think i am just going to stick with sprint distances this season and really work on improving time. Once i accomplish that goal, then i will move to Olympic distance for 2014. Does that seem reasonable?
2013-07-20 10:26 PM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sirgab

I had a good race yesterday at the Vineman 70.3 and was able to come in with a new PR of 5:28. It was a moderate course in terms of difficulty, but with beautiful views of vineyards everywhere, which would make you go in with a smile, even in the moments of pain. I brought my wife and 3 kids with me and it was extra special to share the moments with them. I have limited access to Internet so will follow with a RR later on. Saludos!

Gabe- Congratulations on your PR, I'm glad you had a good race.
2013-07-20 10:35 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
I've taken the week off for family vacation. It started with a local 5k, I took 3rd in my AG and 16th overall. Then Rock climbing and whitewater rafting in West Virginia, and finally Cedar Point.
Starting tomorrow I will hit it hard my HIM is 7 weeks away. I'm really excited, daughter #2 will do the sprint and my youngest 2 are doing the relay. It will be a good family outing.
2013-07-22 9:07 PM

User image

I did the Racime HIM this weekend. This is a repost from the Racine 70.3 official blog.

Well this was my first HIM and actually only 2nd triathlon of any distance. I did a sprint at the beginning of June. More of a running background.
In hindsight I have to say I probably should have never started (or registered) I was very ill prepared for the swim, in fact I believe I may probably hold the record for the longest swim leg. 1:41:31. Before I reached the first buoy I was ready to get out but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I turned it into 16 individual swims from buoy to buoy. I saw a lot of people getting taken from the water and the only way I was going to let that be me is if my body shut down. I got a cramp in my right calf but managed to stretch it out twice while holding onto a kayak. Oddly enough I think running up that beach was the worst part....that sand was brutal. Being so late out of the water they had already picked up the pools with water so I couldn't clean my feet off. The strippers were still there but I took my own wetsuit off. A I was pulling out of T1 on my bike (why do people say its sometimes hard to find your bike in transition? I had no problem finding mine....maybe because there were only a few in there ;> )the mens leader was just coming in....only 56 miles behind! It was lonely on the bike course. I did manage to catch and pass a few people but that swim took so much out of me I didn't have much energy and by the time I got to the aid stations the drinks were warm. As I finished my ride I saw my wife and kids as I was going down the hill. Just what I needed to get me thought the next 13 miles. By the time I started "running" I couldn't wait for the day to be over but oh what I feeling to cross the line. My last two marathons I was either injured before or during the race and to finish with nothing more than a sore neck and calf I feel very lucky. Can't say enough about the volunteers, citizens of Racine and the various police agencies on the course, they were all great and I tried to make a point of thanking them as I went by. Without the volunteers it would have been even more miserable. So that being said it was one hell of a day. Next time I'll be better prepared.
2013-07-23 8:10 AM
in reply to: rgarcia1501

User image

Expert
Originally posted by rgarcia1501

I did the Racime HIM this weekend. This is a repost from the Racine 70.3 official blog.

Well this was my first HIM and actually only 2nd triathlon of any distance. I did a sprint at the beginning of June. More of a running background.
In hindsight I have to say I probably should have never started (or registered) I was very ill prepared for the swim, in fact I believe I may probably hold the record for the longest swim leg. 1:41:31. Before I reached the first buoy I was ready to get out but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I turned it into 16 individual swims from buoy to buoy. I saw a lot of people getting taken from the water and the only way I was going to let that be me is if my body shut down. I got a cramp in my right calf but managed to stretch it out twice while holding onto a kayak. Oddly enough I think running up that beach was the worst part....that sand was brutal. Being so late out of the water they had already picked up the pools with water so I couldn't clean my feet off. The strippers were still there but I took my own wetsuit off. A I was pulling out of T1 on my bike (why do people say its sometimes hard to find your bike in transition? I had no problem finding mine....maybe because there were only a few in there ;> )the mens leader was just coming in....only 56 miles behind! It was lonely on the bike course. I did manage to catch and pass a few people but that swim took so much out of me I didn't have much energy and by the time I got to the aid stations the drinks were warm. As I finished my ride I saw my wife and kids as I was going down the hill. Just what I needed to get me thought the next 13 miles. By the time I started "running" I couldn't wait for the day to be over but oh what I feeling to cross the line. My last two marathons I was either injured before or during the race and to finish with nothing more than a sore neck and calf I feel very lucky. Can't say enough about the volunteers, citizens of Racine and the various police agencies on the course, they were all great and I tried to make a point of thanking them as I went by. Without the volunteers it would have been even more miserable. So that being said it was one hell of a day. Next time I'll be better prepared.

Congratulations on finishing your first HIM! Now you know what it takes, so the next one will be easier. If it is any consolation, I have a friend who had the Coast Guard follow him around the swim course because he was struggling so badly.

2013-07-24 8:34 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Master
Originally posted by davidfedez

Hi guys!

I apologize for being inactive this past week, but I have been traveling quite a bite and I had very limited access to my laptop.

I would like to share my biggest accomplishment so far in the triathlon world: this past weekend I did an Oly race and I won my AG and finished 3rd overall!!!! I couldn't believe it. Honestly, I felt great during the entire race and kept pushing and pushing hard until I crossed the finish line. I knew I did well, but I had no idea what my position was when I finished (we were sharing the course with a sprint and a duathlon races, so it was hard to see who was competing on each category until I passed them on the run).

Anyways, I am very proud of myself!! All this hours of training are paying off!

Awesome job - I only dream of accomplishments like that!
2013-07-24 8:36 AM
in reply to: rgarcia1501

User image

Master
Originally posted by rgarcia1501

Congrats and great job!
2013-07-24 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by sirgab

I had a good race yesterday at the Vineman 70.3 and was able to come in with a new PR of 5:28. It was a moderate course in terms of difficulty, but with beautiful views of vineyards everywhere, which would make you go in with a smile, even in the moments of pain. I brought my wife and 3 kids with me and it was extra special to share the moments with them. I have limited access to Internet so will follow with a RR later on. Saludos!

Gabe - you just keep on rockin'! Awesome job!
2013-07-24 8:46 AM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Master
Update for the group. I've been solely focused on running (listening to Jackie's critique of my early season HM and Joe's advice - thanks!) as I prepare for my A race end of season HM. I'm defnitely feeling stronger on the run and the legs seem to be staying injury free. This morning was a 7.5 mile run with 4x1200M intervals @ 5k to 10k pace with 600M recoveries. Tough but I got it done. I still need to hold back more on my long runs on the weekend and I've been cautiously and slowly adding days to my running. Goal is to get to 5 days of running this week and then in a few back to 6 days a few weeks from now.

Macmillan Running distributed an article yesterday with the following maxim: "It's not how much training you DO, rather, it's how well you recover from the training you DO DO. because if you get injured or sick from DOing too much, you are in deep DOO DOO". The quote is from Dr. Dave (?) who says, "the Do-Do- Rule covers a multitude of sins for the runner and has never been proven wrong".

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/33?utm_source=J...

Thanks for listening Team!
2013-07-24 2:43 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by trisuppo

Update for the group. I've been solely focused on running (listening to Jackie's critique of my early season HM and Joe's advice - thanks!) as I prepare for my A race end of season HM. I'm defnitely feeling stronger on the run and the legs seem to be staying injury free. This morning was a 7.5 mile run with 4x1200M intervals @ 5k to 10k pace with 600M recoveries. Tough but I got it done. I still need to hold back more on my long runs on the weekend and I've been cautiously and slowly adding days to my running. Goal is to get to 5 days of running this week and then in a few back to 6 days a few weeks from now.

Macmillan Running distributed an article yesterday with the following maxim: "It's not how much training you DO, rather, it's how well you recover from the training you DO DO. because if you get injured or sick from DOing too much, you are in deep DOO DOO". The quote is from Dr. Dave (?) who says, "the Do-Do- Rule covers a multitude of sins for the runner and has never been proven wrong".

I often find myself in Doo Doo, but not from running.

2013-07-24 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by trisuppo

I often find myself in Doo Doo, but not from running.

Sometimes when running around the small lake on my route I have to avoid stepping in Doo Doo of the goose variety. I then also have to be prepared to sprint to avoid the uber aggressive geese.
2013-07-30 1:43 AM
in reply to: paradigm777

User image

Mission accomplished ... Full Vineman on 7/27/2013 in 12:49:50. Here is my RR:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Thank you all for the tips .... Next 140.6 will be HITS Lake Havusu (Long Course).

Joseph Wu
2013-07-30 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by paradigm777

Thank you all for the tips .... Next 140.6 will be HITS Lake Havusu (Long Course).

Joseph Wu

Good report. Were you able to hook up with Gabe?
2013-07-30 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by paradigm777

Joseph Wu

Great job and I enjoyed your race report. Congratulations!
2013-07-31 12:36 PM

User image

Thanks ....

I think sirgab did the 70.3 on July 14 where as mine was on July 27.

2013-07-31 10:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hola amigos, I'm finally back, so thanks for your comments in regards to my recent Vineman 70.3 and here is the race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=496783

First, Happy Birthday to our BT Mentor and good friend Ernesto and welcome to the great 40's club, I'm positive you will enjoy this new decade!

Chupacabra, congratulations on your swimming breakthrough; should marine animals also be scared of the Chupacabra?

Charlotte, good to hear from you here again

David, congratulations on winning your AG and placing 3rd overall at your Oly tri, well done!

Robert, congratulations on hanging in there and turning a potential DNF into a finish of your first HIM!  I was also miserable during my first HIM a couple years back, but was glad that I sucked it up and finished it despite the challenges.

Joseph, big kuddos on your recent Full Vineman!  It is great to see how you have dropped your time during your 3 Ironmans and I really enjoyed your report, especially since I had been on the same beautiful course a few weeks before (for 1/2 the distance :-)

I'm now supposed to be stepping up my training for IM Cozumel on Dec 1, but am having a hard time between work and family time balancing, so we will see how it goes...

Edited by sirgab 2013-07-31 10:49 PM
2013-08-01 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Gabe- Good report and congratulations on your run. Great family photo too. Gabe Jr. is getting really big. Being a regular wetsuit swimmer, it makes you feel like Aquaman being so fluid and buoyant.
2013-08-03 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
I did a small local oly today. I found out about it yesterday and sign up today. I took 2nd in my Age group, First podium in triathlon. Tough ride almost 1000 feet of climbing.
2013-08-03 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Originally posted by JBacarellaI did a small local oly today. I found out about it yesterday and sign up today. I took 2nd in my Age group, First podium in triathlon. Tough ride almost 1000 feet of climbing.
Congratulations Jim on your podium, way to go!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 21