General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-02-13 2:34 PM
in reply to: Woodaman09

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Originally posted by Woodaman09

Originally posted by diablo243

I'm in the mystic area but drive by you every day on way to work at Yale. We'll have to connect sometime for some workouts or races. Consider the O'Niantic 5K mid march and the Niantic Bay Tri in August. I'm registered for both, it would be cool to have a fellow BT member there. Message me anytime if you want to hit the gym or once weather brakes want to bike or something. Catch ya around.

That would be cool! I'll look at the 5k and see if it works into my schedule. I am also doing the tour de cure in Durham ct to benefit the american diabetes association it's a ride of 7, 30, 60 or 100. I am doing the 60... If it ever stops snowing

I'd consider doing the 30 mile, have a sprint tri in RI 2 weeks after that date so will have to give it some thought. I'll keep you posted, did you start a team or anything or just doing it individual?

2014-02-13 3:02 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by chirunner134

Monday and Wednesday I did my run .25 miles then walk .25 miles for 3 miles. my running pace is my ideal pace I would like to have come April 1st for 4 miles. Also pretty good because that run pace is the pace I ran at (mostly) when I weighed 30 lbs less. I need to refocus and get that 30 lbs off. I guess if I can build up my run at this weight when it comes off I will be flying.

I wanted to do biking or swimming last night but I feel like I am getting sick. So I took it easy. I think if I feel up too it I will take it easy today or at least try a more of a tempo run at lunch. I think mixing it up will help burn more calories and ideally make me faster also.

For Lap counting I leave a water proof stop watch at the end of the pool. It stores 300 laps so I can know how far I went and how long it took.

I got my tax refund today so maybe I can get the garmin 910 and use that for swimming.

Nice job on the run!

As far as the 910, check out the new Polar V800. It looks sweet, but unfortunately it's not coming out until April. I too have refund money that is going to a watch. It'll be one of those 2 as far as I can tell. DCRainmaker does great product reviews.
2014-02-13 3:06 PM
in reply to: Vancouvertechie

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by Vancouvertechie

Hello Everyone,

I am currently fighting the weight roller coaster! I have been meaning to get myself back in gear with training, but unmotivated at the moment.

I am 42 and I live in Vancouver, USA. I am a Systems Analyst so I have a cubicle and sitting around all day was an issue. About mid-year last year my employer changed out my chair, and desk height to a standing format. I am 5' 11" and I was a bit north of 240 lbs.

My goal is around 200, but I would love to hit 185. That is a stretch. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer over a year ago and I am striving to be as fit as possible and to eat right. But I love sugar.

I did my first sprint tri last year along with my first duathlon. Also, I completed the STP 204 mile bike ride from Seattle to Portland in 12 hours for the first time.

I am rebuilding my tri-bike which is an older Schwinn Prologue frame along with some misc. parts. I had a KHS Flite last year, but I am eager to try the new ride. I have a Bianchi as my training and long distance ride bike.

I look forward to reading everyone's progress.

Cheers,

John

Welcome, John! Great accomplishments and goals! That's a nice pace for that long of a ride! I'm sweating at the 56 mile bike leg of a 70.3... Can't imagine 200+ miles!
2014-02-13 3:14 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by Mfechter67

Nice job on the run!

As far as the 910, check out the new Polar V800. It looks sweet, but unfortunately it's not coming out until April. I too have refund money that is going to a watch. It'll be one of those 2 as far as I can tell. DCRainmaker does great product reviews.

Does the V800 track swimming workouts? I see it's waterproof but can't find anything about it tracking stroke rate or anything like that
2014-02-13 3:20 PM
in reply to: TRI - AJ

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by TRI - AJ

NAME: AJ / Username: TRI – AJ

STORY: I played NCAA Division 1 soccer in the late 80’s (I know I am old) and wrestled, played baseball and football throughout high school. Once I graduated college I stayed active by playing soccer, running, cycling (a lot) and participated in many other active sports. Then I got married not long after and things seem to get busy. We then had children and everything went crazy however my activity slowed but not my eating. Many years passed raising kids and working……and now finally I have found time for ME as my son is now at Texas A&M and my daughter has decided to stop playing competitive volleyball at the age of 16 (whew…and that provided me a raise! HA). I currently weigh around 280 and of course fluctuate up and down depending on the week. I love cycling and running some, but I seem to swim like a rock. However, I have been following this event on TV called the Ironman – Kona for about 8 years and finally got to the point where I want to attempt to “TRI”! My downfall is that I am truly built like a middle linebacker/wrestler and will never look like your “typical” triathlete. Lastly, this “TRI” thing has been haunting me for years and is my next adventure and there are no more excuses. So…hello to all and I will need much support to get and keep going!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 21yrs. We have 2 kids (19yrs & 16yrs)

CURRENT TRAINING: I jog 4x a week and ride 2 – 3x. I am not sure what plan to start. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

2013 RACES/ results: A few 5k’s but they were not timed as they were for charity.

2014 plans and RACES: My 2014 plan is to find the right plan and stick to it. I would like to complete my first TRI by the summer.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not fast enough however I have lost 20lbs since January 1st but need to become active at a more strenuous pace. I would like to lose another 60 – 70lbs by years end.

Welcome AJ! You're not old, you're experienced. I just turned 47 so I'm guessing we're about the same age.

You will see all body types, sizes and shapes in triathlon. Granted, we may not all be at the front, but one thing I have found is more people are out there to complete, not to compete. The only way I will ever "podium" in a race is if there are only 3 in my age group! The key to swimming is to put the time in and work on your form. Many gyms and pools offer classes with coaches or on stroke refinement.

I have used several different BT training plans. The level of detail they give you depends on your membership level. I like silver, because it gives me flexibility and enough detail. The plans start with a "Couch to Sprint", then there are some beginner sprint, intermediate sprint, up to Ironman, etc. Pick a plan based off of you current fitness level, the length of time before your race, the length of race and then how many days/hours a week you can train. You'll find many plans have a minimum of 8 swim, bike or run workouts a week. The hardest thing I battle with is finding the time. Fit 8-10 training sessions + a few strength/core workouts and a rest day into a 7 day week.
2014-02-13 3:24 PM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by diablo243

Nice job on the run!

Does the V800 track swimming workouts? I see it's waterproof but can't find anything about it tracking stroke rate or anything like that

Yes, it will. The demo model at CES did not have that functionality yet, but Polar said it will. A teammate of ours is sponsored by Polar and the intel he has received is that it definitely will have it.

It also is rumored (for later release) that they will incorporate smart phone functionality to give you email, text alerts, etc. It will also be an activity tracker (replaces my fitbit), and it will provide recovery coaching based on training exertion level. So it will be a full fitness watch and a regular watch.

2014-02-13 5:24 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

Monday and Wednesday I did my run .25 miles then walk .25 miles for 3 miles. my running pace is my ideal pace I would like to have come April 1st for 4 miles. Also pretty good because that run pace is the pace I ran at (mostly) when I weighed 30 lbs less. I need to refocus and get that 30 lbs off. I guess if I can build up my run at this weight when it comes off I will be flying.

I wanted to do biking or swimming last night but I feel like I am getting sick. So I took it easy. I think if I feel up too it I will take it easy today or at least try a more of a tempo run at lunch. I think mixing it up will help burn more calories and ideally make me faster also.

For Lap counting I leave a water proof stop watch at the end of the pool. It stores 300 laps so I can know how far I went and how long it took.

I got my tax refund today so maybe I can get the garmin 910 and use that for swimming.

I really LOVE my Garmin 910! It is great for everything and I enjoy the ease of uploading it to garminconnct website. I especially like that I can set it for the amount of yards I want to swim and it just vibrates when I get to that.
2014-02-15 5:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Mildly annoyed I made a lengthily post yesterday but it's not here!!! Anyway had a easy recovery run yesterday, day off today which is good because it's dumping out! This week starts taper week and 1 week from today is my indoor tri, I'm psyched but only mildly because being its timed there is no way to not finish. So this will be a great challenge but still won't be the true grit that completing a real sprint tri will be. Anyway, prior to snow dumping down I scored a beautiful Trek 2100zr for $400!!!! 2008 like new carbon/aluminum frame fork, Ultegra components, just nice and at an amazing price. Spring can't come soon enough!!!

Edited by diablo243 2014-02-15 5:55 PM
2014-02-16 6:06 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Hello everyone,

I was away for the weekend. Seems like the weather has everyone trapped, or people are too busy working out to post. Either way, I hope you are enjoying the weekend. I was on a "camping" trip this weekend. It was our annual scout troop's trip to a hunting lodge. It's a totally fun weekend that includes the adults cooking, target shooting, playing in the snow, etc. unfortunately it also meant no running and eating worse than I normally do. Tomorrow I'm back in training, I have a 2 hr 15 min run. Because of all the recent snow, ice, melting, freezing, it looks like its a long treadmill run again. I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't wait for some good weather so I can run outside without risk of breaking something.
2014-02-17 4:41 AM

User image

Hello everyone,

I was away for the weekend. Seems like the weather has everyone trapped, or people are too busy working out to post. Either way, I hope you are enjoying the weekend. I was on a "camping" trip this weekend. It was our annual scout troop's trip to a hunting lodge. It's a totally fun weekend that includes the adults cooking, target shooting, playing in the snow, etc. unfortunately it also meant no running and eating worse than I normally do. Tomorrow I'm back in training, I have a 2 hr 15 min run. Because of all the recent snow, ice, melting, freezing, it looks like its a long treadmill run again. I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't wait for some good weather so I can run outside without risk of breaking something.

Sounds like you had a great weekend! And good luck on the treadmill run - that's a really long run!
2014-02-17 7:02 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Mfechter67 Hello everyone, I was away for the weekend. Seems like the weather has everyone trapped, or people are too busy working out to post. Either way, I hope you are enjoying the weekend. I was on a "camping" trip this weekend. It was our annual scout troop's trip to a hunting lodge. It's a totally fun weekend that includes the adults cooking, target shooting, playing in the snow, etc. unfortunately it also meant no running and eating worse than I normally do. Tomorrow I'm back in training, I have a 2 hr 15 min run. Because of all the recent snow, ice, melting, freezing, it looks like its a long treadmill run again. I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't wait for some good weather so I can run outside without risk of breaking something.

Better you than me on that long treadmill run! The longest I have done on the TM was 10 miles... seemed like 100!

I finally got new running shoes this weekend. I tried them out and they seem to be just right. No hitting the incision spot, no blisters, I hope they work. i need to get my run going. It is slow enough going with the surgery recovery, let alone with painful shoes. It is a shame, my "old" shoes are pretty new. I would not have guessed that the surgery would have affected my foot shape so much.

2014-02-17 8:01 AM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Quick update:

I'm doing a C25K style program, and I started week 2 yesterday. On the 9th I walked 1K at 10:04. The goal yesterday was to walk 1K 10% quicker, ergo my goal was 9-flat. I ended up walking 1K at 9:08... so close! of course I kept walking and my second 1K was 8:57... Tonight is strength training, and tomorrow is running 1K 10% quicker than last week... fingers crossed!

On Saturday, we joined the Y in downtown Memphis. I went this morning for a physical eval. I was mildly surprised! My body fat and HR recovery was unsurprisingly sub-par. However, all of the fitness tests came back with me being average for a 40-yr old... quite happy. As a bonus, my flexibility test came back way ABOVE average! Very happy with that, but it's also kind of sad because I've lost a lot of flexibility over the last few years.

Rick
2014-02-17 1:15 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Been swamped lately with my brother's move from one house to another. We have been busy with tile/wood flooring, painting, and all the other work prior to moving anything. So next comes the boxes, furniture, etc. So hopefully tonight i can hit the bike or run as the temps south of houston should be hovering around 80 degrees today!
2014-02-17 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Quick update: I'm doing a C25K style program, and I started week 2 yesterday. On the 9th I walked 1K at 10:04. The goal yesterday was to walk 1K 10% quicker, ergo my goal was 9-flat. I ended up walking 1K at 9:08... so close! of course I kept walking and my second 1K was 8:57... Tonight is strength training, and tomorrow is running 1K 10% quicker than last week... fingers crossed! On Saturday, we joined the Y in downtown Memphis. I went this morning for a physical eval. I was mildly surprised! My body fat and HR recovery was unsurprisingly sub-par. However, all of the fitness tests came back with me being average for a 40-yr old... quite happy. As a bonus, my flexibility test came back way ABOVE average! Very happy with that, but it's also kind of sad because I've lost a lot of flexibility over the last few years. Rick

You must have been (and still are) pretty bendy! Nice on the fitness test. Now you have some actual numbers to watch as you improve.

2014-02-17 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by TRI - AJ Been swamped lately with my brother's move from one house to another. We have been busy with tile/wood flooring, painting, and all the other work prior to moving anything. So next comes the boxes, furniture, etc. So hopefully tonight i can hit the bike or run as the temps south of houston should be hovering around 80 degrees today!

that is a lot of work.

2014-02-17 4:27 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by ceilidh

You must have been (and still are) pretty bendy! Nice on the fitness test. Now you have some actual numbers to watch as you improve.

Yup, I was always pretty bendy. The trainer wants to re-test me in 3 months to gauge improvement. I'll do it on 5-12 which is the Monday before my sprint.

2014-02-17 7:36 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Good bike tonight, getting closer and closer to Saturday's tri, have to admit starting to get just a touch nervous!!!
2014-02-17 9:29 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
So for people that have been reading since the beginning or have joined late and read all the posts to catch up, I have posted in the past I have a heart thing that I was born with. I have no medical restrictions but sometimes it pops up during activity and basically what happens is a take a quick pause, 1 HUGE beat then goes into a rapid beat. Use a breathing technique I can usually get it to go back into sync pretty quick, but tonight at the end of my bike workout it happened! Why do I seem excited about this, well because for the first time ever I had my heart rate monitor on and caught the data while it happened!!! Over the years the docs have had me wear 48 hour ekg monitor things but it never happened while I was wearing the thing, so here is a little look into my heart during its tripping out phase:

photo heartspike_zps3059d625.png

Can you see the spike?!?! lol that's a 238bpm spike right there
2014-02-18 5:41 AM

User image

2 mile run on the treadmill....not how I wanted to spend my time. The weather is suppose to hover in the high 70's this week so maybe hit the bike for a few miles. I will surely be happy once the time changes!
2014-02-18 6:44 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by diablo243 So for people that have been reading since the beginning or have joined late and read all the posts to catch up, I have posted in the past I have a heart thing that I was born with. I have no medical restrictions but sometimes it pops up during activity and basically what happens is a take a quick pause, 1 HUGE beat then goes into a rapid beat. Use a breathing technique I can usually get it to go back into sync pretty quick, but tonight at the end of my bike workout it happened! Why do I seem excited about this, well because for the first time ever I had my heart rate monitor on and caught the data while it happened!!! Over the years the docs have had me wear 48 hour ekg monitor things but it never happened while I was wearing the thing, so here is a little look into my heart during its tripping out phase:  photo heartspike_zps3059d625.png Can you see the spike?!?! lol that's a 238bpm spike right there

WOW! That is pretty darn significant! How log till you get it back to normal after that happens. It is an interesting pattern before it too. rapid, then steady then rapid.

Were you thinking about your upcoming tri.. is that what caused it?

2014-02-18 6:45 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by TRI - AJ 2 mile run on the treadmill....not how I wanted to spend my time. The weather is suppose to hover in the high 70's this week so maybe hit the bike for a few miles. I will surely be happy once the time changes!

Amen to that!! I count the days until it changes back to "normal time".

2014-02-18 7:46 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by diablo243 So for people that have been reading since the beginning or have joined late and read all the posts to catch up, I have posted in the past I have a heart thing that I was born with. I have no medical restrictions but sometimes it pops up during activity and basically what happens is a take a quick pause, 1 HUGE beat then goes into a rapid beat. Use a breathing technique I can usually get it to go back into sync pretty quick, but tonight at the end of my bike workout it happened! Why do I seem excited about this, well because for the first time ever I had my heart rate monitor on and caught the data while it happened!!! Over the years the docs have had me wear 48 hour ekg monitor things but it never happened while I was wearing the thing, so here is a little look into my heart during its tripping out phase:  photo heartspike_zps3059d625.png Can you see the spike?!?! lol that's a 238bpm spike right there

WOW! That is pretty darn significant! How log till you get it back to normal after that happens. It is an interesting pattern before it too. rapid, then steady then rapid.

Were you thinking about your upcoming tri.. is that what caused it?

In this case it took a few minutes to get back to normal but that is prob because my heart rate was elevated from the workout. I can usually get it back to normal in under a minute if it happens when my heart rate is normal. So the pattern you see before is actually my workout and if your not using heart rate monitor to train with this is the kind of feedback you get that makes it worth while. My workout had 6 x .30sec pushes then 1 minute rests after, so after a 10 min warmup I would crank the bike level up to 18 (from 10) and just push to keep cadence at 100 or as close as I could. It is very cool to go back and look a the data over a training period or in my case from when I decided to just start working out and be able to see how my effort increases and my heart rate reduces showing my aerobic stamina increasing.
2014-02-18 7:54 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

In this case it took a few minutes to get back to normal but that is prob because my heart rate was elevated from the workout. I can usually get it back to normal in under a minute if it happens when my heart rate is normal. So the pattern you see before is actually my workout and if your not using heart rate monitor to train with this is the kind of feedback you get that makes it worth while. My workout had 6 x .30sec pushes then 1 minute rests after, so after a 10 min warmup I would crank the bike level up to 18 (from 10) and just push to keep cadence at 100 or as close as I could. It is very cool to go back and look a the data over a training period or in my case from when I decided to just start working out and be able to see how my effort increases and my heart rate reduces showing my aerobic stamina increasing.

I used to use a heart rate monitor, but I have a heart murmur that it would pick up.... just occasionally, and scare the crap out of me. I gave it to my son to use. I need to get a new one and start again.

2014-02-18 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

I rarely get on here for some reason.  I have been doing little workouts as my time allows, but I got in 40 laps last night at the pool, before I had to do other things.  Tonight I have meetings after work, but hope to get on the treadmill sometime before I go to bed.  Up at 4:40 in the morning and getting home from work after 6:00 is just burning me out.

2014-02-18 1:56 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

New user
NAME / username: Erin / CincyMom

STORY: About 3 years ago I hit my highest weight at 250lbs. At that point, my inner dialogue was something along the lines of "I'm in the plus sizes so I may as well own it and get used to it cause its never gonna change".. somewhere along the way I got frustrated with that line of thinking and decided to take an active part in my own life. I started working out with a trainer, started cooking and eating better and gradually the weight started dropping off. My journey has definitely been more about fitness and overall health than weight loss, but of course, the weight loss came along with the better eating and more physical activity. Last year I heard about this cool thing called triathlon and thought I'd give it a try. I did 2 sprints last year, and now plan on 2 Olys this year. I'm hooked

FAMILY STATUS: Single mom to an 11 year old daughter

CURRENT TRAINING: I have a spreadsheet lol.. it consists of 1 long and 1 short bike, 1 long and 1 short run, 1 swim and 2 weight training days per week. Building using the 10% rule with every 4th week as a recovery week. So far so good!

2013 RACES/ results:
- Cincinnati Sprint Triathlon - finished.. (153/162 overall)
- Hueston Woods Sprint Triathlon - 3rd place in Athena (109/124 overall)

2014 plans and RACES:
- Hueston Woods Olympic Triathlon (June 22)
- Warren County Olympic Triathlon (August 3)

WEIGHTLOSS: 45lbs
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28162 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100349 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?