BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-03-02 1:15 PM
in reply to: #709210

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
after attaching press crtl+F5

2007-03-03 4:33 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
WEEK IN REVIEW: MARCH 3

Wow, what a week! Look at all your posts -- you've fulfilled my goal for this forum, which was an open exchange of ideas and info. Great job to all of you.

So where are we today?

PHOENIX is cured and a bike-riding machine. And I have to admit that I did none of the rides she suggested. But I did have good intentions, etc. She's assembled her treadmill and is 1 week away from her tri. Sending good vibes her way!

BGT continues to train before and after work, where she then trains others. This woman is going to have no body fat by the end of the summer!

MIKE has quickly come up to speed and has suggested some good training tips for interval running. He's also offered to assemble a collage of all our smiling faces in swim goggles. Any takers?

SEAN spent an intimate moment with a manatee. Ok, enough said.

MARK shared his wit and his training plan, and is still contemplating which words this site will censor from our posts.

HELEN asked to join and then disappeared. Did we scare her off?

MALPHH was down, and now is back up. We all get that sometimes. Glad to see you stuck it out and you're back in action! Your totals look fine for February. Have you picked out a race yet? When is it, what distance, etc.?

WATERGIRL continued to inspire with her right comments at always the right time. And she's signed up for a 1/2 marathon in the fall. Glad you're around, girl.

KANDERS, a mom of 3 from snowed in MN, has poked her head into this place and asked to join the team. I think anyone brave enough to hang out with us, and read all of our posts, should be able to join. Everyone agree?

And everyone else is missing in action. Which happens in life sometimes.

I'm curious as to how much our combined mileages would add up to. Tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll post mine, and if you're interested, post yours as well. I'll keep a tally in this forum and we'll see what we can do by March 31.

As for me, I'm in trouble after eating so many girl scout cookies this past week. I do believe I averaged a box a day, and as predicted, they quickly made themselves known on the scale. The sugar highs, and lows, didn't help my mood, either. This week I'm going to undo the damage from exam week, refocus, and try to get my eating back on line. I hate seeing the numbers on the scale go up!

Have a great weekend.

Edited by prof40 2007-03-04 3:44 PM
2007-03-04 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Well, Prof, these are my totals for March so far: swim 450, bike 85, run 4.4 miles. I did the swim yesterday and just went any way I wanted just to see how it would go next week. Scheduled another lesson for Thursday to get back on it. I did weights then and had some time left while Noah was in his swim lesson, but all the treadmills were taken, so I did 2 miles on the elliptical. Don't know if that counts for the run or not? Never had been on an elliptical before, believe it or not. It was cool--sort of a cross between standing up on the bike and a run. Not a bad little workout for the tendons around the knees, or at least that was where I could feel it. I didn't do the harder settings, but perhaps will try them another day. Last night I had a date with Antonio (Italian, stone sculptor, teaches photography--computer graphics--architecture, tangoes, skiis, weight trains, runs, lives in Madison). So, I have no ambition today to do anything but sort of float around the house And I did buy running shoes yesterday--the Nike Air Max 180 that you can put the chip in for the Nano pedometer thingy. They were all sold out of the chip, though. I can tell they will be great for the underpronation and they sort of make you feel like you are tipping forward, ready to go run. So, I'll have to get busy breaking them in now! Wonder how much caffeine it will take today to override the floating......
2007-03-04 4:18 PM
in reply to: #710799

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-03-04 2:24 PM

Well, Prof, these are my totals for March so far: swim 450, bike 85, run 4.4 miles.

Adding mine as of Saturday:

Swim 450 + my 0 = 450 yds (Okay, I'm slacking here.)

Bike 85 miles + my 51.55 = 136.55 miles

Run 4.4 miles + my 3.25 = 7.65 miles

Sheesh, you kicked my red bike!

Okay, I herewith vow to put the Girl Scout cookies in an air-proof container on the top shelf of the closet and get to work!

Let me know how you like your new shoes. I love new running shoes. Yes, geeky I know, but don't you just feel like you can go forever?

2007-03-04 7:27 PM

User image

Regular
March totals:

Bike: 30m - 6.67 Mi
Run: 1h 28m 01s - 8.2 Mi
Swim: 30m - 700 Yd
2007-03-04 8:55 PM

Veteran

Heh group- I’m here!! I took some time to read the previous posts- very inspiring. You guys sound great- very motivating (just what I need).

I'm 47, have 2 daughters (21 and 23) and 2 step daughters (24 and 28). The kids are all off either at school or done school and working. Have a great husband- who doesn’t exercise- however is ++ supportive of my endeavors. I'm a RN and work full time. Currently focusing on a Mother's day marathon- May13- in Mississauga, On. with one of my daughters, and I'm rather nervous. Have run (well- walked the hills) 30 k race's- ( approx 3hr 30 min)- in 2003 and 2004. Was suppose to run the marathon last yr- however underwent unexpected surgery last Feb- and had the marathon deferred to this yr and now its here!! (ugh!!) Was very psyched up about the race last yr- but now....

Live in southwestern Ontario- flat, - in fact- ‘pancake’ flat land (ie- absolutely no hills- have to find an overpass to constitute any type of hilly terrain). Have zip experience with hills (however- we have wind and cold!!). The hills have always been my nemesis!!!

Just purchased bike shoes/clips this winter- previously used the cages for biking- so as well- a tad concerned. Have been biking in doors on my trainer- can hardly wait for the snow to melt so I can get outside.
A well-plan to do an Olympic distance this July with my daughter.

As of March 1- have Swam- 1km (ok guys- here's the Canadian with her darn metric!!!)

Bike- not sure- Cat eye I think in need of repair -(ie- 1 week showed I can spin at 30 km/hr- ( maybe in my dreams!!!) and now 12 km/hr - so lets say 12 km in total so far

Run- 13 miles.

Once again guys- thanks for the welcome and look forward to your posts!!!
-H

2007-03-04 10:10 PM

User image

Minneapolis
my March totals as of 3/4:

Bike: 43m - 10.25 Mi
Run: 58m - 4 Mi
Swim: 65m - 700 yrds
goals for this week:

W4
monday = 10 mile bike and 16 lap swim
tuesday= 2 mile run
Wednsday= 10 mile bike ride
thursday= 8k practive run
Friday= 17 laps and H20 class
Sat = rest
Sun= 2 mile run

TOTALS:
run= 8 miles (one run day will be a 8k practice run)
bike= 20 miles
swim=1600 yards (about a mile)

tommorw I will post my dream totals for March. Also I am getting nervous about my 8k run. The weather has been red bike, so I am not sure I will be able to run outside, and as we all know running outside makes me angry.
I got new shoes in Jan. they rock- it is like having new feet. BGT

Edited by BigGirlTri-ing 2007-03-04 10:15 PM
2007-03-05 4:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Hi

Totals for last week:

Run= 22 miles
Bike= 280 miles
Swim=3000 mts

Old jokes home:

I went out running this week. 5 miles on Monday, 6 miles on Tuesday, 4 miles on Wednesday. By Thursday I was 15 miles away from home.

Ba boom.

Worse joke:

I turned 40 at the weekend and went out to celebrate with family. Turned up at our local gastro pub (two Michelin stars so pretty good) only to be seated on a table next to the Human Resources Director and the IT Director from my work. Ahhhh.

Anyhow, I am getting a new bike for my birthday from myself so I'm well pleased!

Welcome to all the new joiners and well done to all the old soldiers.

I do enjoy reading all the posts and sharing the trials and tribulations of you all over the week.

Prof, put that cookie down.

2007-03-05 5:55 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Well, if I'm adding these totals correctly, here's where we are:

Swim 2930 yards
Bike 160.67 miles
Run 32.85 miles

And that's before Mark's additions. Mark, are your numbers from the whole of last week, or just from March 1?

2007-03-05 6:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Hi Prof

My figures were from the whole of last week.

From March 1st they are:

Thurs 1st: Bike 56 miles+run 5 miles
Friday 2nd: Bike 56 miles+swim 1000 meters
Saturday 3rd: Run 11 miles

Total:
Bike, 112 miles
Run, 16 miles
Swim, 1000 meters.

Sorry, I hadn't realised that it was from the beginning of the month!

Seems like we are doing pretty well.
2007-03-05 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
miles from 3/1 -
running 4.25 (plus 2.5 if XC skiing counts... it's hard to run outside when it's this snowy, but the trails are finally packed and groomed!)
biking: 11.7
Swim: I do my swims at the beginning of the week, so no help last week from me.

Plus it was a recovery week... and I'm doing a 2x sprint program, so I don't know how much help I'll be to overall totals.

Mark, I'm in awe of you for your daily bike commuting. Is it training, principles, or a little bit of both? In summer here I try to bike to anything I can, and the kids have grumblingly gotten used to being hauled all over in the double burley (although the 4 year old's legs are getting a little long for the thing). We live in town, though, so my mileage of that nature never amounts to much!

Had a great day outside in the snowy North yesterday - hiking up and down the hill hauling children, sleds, and the like. Hope you all had great weekends, too!

2007-03-05 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Kanders

It's a combination of many things, none of which individually would justify doing it, but added together make for an interesting life choice.

I used to live in London and got bored with being stuck on the train/underground enduring endless delays due to the weather (we have no way of coping with even mild winters and are constantly surprised by the least bit of snow), terrorism (the IRA, not this current crop of, ahem, independent thinkers) and general bad organisation so took to my bike instead.

As I only lived about 6 miles from work it was a no-brainer and I was regularly spotted cycling down the King’s Road in Chelsea with my cigar clamped firmly between my teeth.

Roll on the years and I have moved to Yorkshire and as a result of several house moves I now live twenty three miles from work but have yet to get out of the habit of picking my bike up before I pick up the car keys! It takes about an hour fifteen so it’s not much longer than if I drive.

If the weather is truly atrocious I do take the pick up to work but with petrol currently running at $8.30 a gallon (of which $7.50 is tax) it has to be pretty bad.

In all honesty after so many years of doing it I actually enjoy wending my way through the Yorkshire countryside on my bike and seeing the seasons change. I don't know about you but I spend so much time in my job under pressure or putting others under pressure or just being fed up with the obstinate and inate stupidity of some of my coworkers that to put it all behind me, even for a couple of hours a day, is better than yoga!

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,

William Henry Davies

Not a quote that I think you will find on this site!
2007-03-05 10:08 AM
in reply to: #711350

User image

Regular
Mark Stanley - 2007-03-05 7:51 AM

What is this life if, full of care,
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,

William Henry Davies

Not a quote that I think you will find on this site!

Maybe, as athletes trying to reduce times, we don't necessarily "stop and stare", but i present the fact that we are out there communing with the elements and nature. and i for one will heed these words to take more in during my communes.
thanks Mark
2007-03-05 10:23 AM

User image

My March totals:

Cycling: 16miles
Running: 7.6
Swimming: 1400yds

How often do you want us to post them, every week ?

Im trying to get the energy right now to go outside and ride my bike because I know if I go out, Id ride longer than inside. I guess after reading Mark's post I better get my butt in gear!
2007-03-05 10:19 PM

User image

Expert
Hi Everyone!

Well, last night I punched for awhile and then did a piddly little run 1.67 miles. I was tuckered out from the guy. Today the guy says he just didn't feel the "connection" he was looking for, so Ciao! Not sure how anyone can tell much from one dinner date, even if the food was curry squash with chicken (my favorite). The Colorado guy stopped talking to me after his marathon in New Orleans (I warned him about the prostitutes down there), and the ironman guy admitted that he just wanted a fling with me, and I'm not a fling sort of gal. So, Prof, I'll swear off men if you swear off cookies! They just get in the way of training!

Tonight I was rightfully pissed off, so I punched longer and ran longer 3.1 miles. So, maybe if I can remain pissed off til Saturday, I'll do okay Actually, I'm over it, I'm just venting....

I am, however, getting stronger. Funny little muscles popping out everywhere, and the scale went up, but I think it's all muscle weight, so I'm not freaking too bad. And I do love the shoes! Imagine, a chick who loves new shoes
2007-03-06 4:33 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Wow, we have some serious totals going here!

As of Monday, here are the numbers:

Swim 5,424 yards
Bike 300.37 miles
Run 65.47 miles

Very impressive!

Each week, when you're done with your training, send them in. I'll add mine on Saturday, just because I'm a Sun to Sat type of guy. (And my BT log is set up that way. Yeah, I'm lazy, I know.) But if you're Mon to Sun, that works, too.

Any predictions on our combined totals at the end of the month?

2007-03-06 4:54 AM

User image

last weeks totals

B: 10.55 KM
30m

R: 3.37 KM
17m 25s
2007-03-06 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
BGT--Did you get my email address to give to Jen Peck? I sent it last week, but I wonder about this site sometimes.... I am very interested in the Total Immersion method. The nerd in me is always wanting more instruction The Chi newsletter came out and was all talking about form in the run. That's exactly what they say about swimming! Get the form and the endurance and speed follow naturally. And with the bike its all about the proper fit. Interesting......If I can ever discipline myself to eat the right way......

Mark--I'm a sucker for poetry!! I want more!!! My favorite is Rumi, but he might be a little too hot for this site.

Mike--I'm doing the interval thing with the run and it is working, I think! It seems to be getting a tad bit easier.

Kanders--I have kids, too. They eventually get it that this is just something Mom does and accept it. Just don't give in and forget completely about the perfect house. Something HAS to give. I'm looking for a self-cleaning house currently. And a self-cutting lawn.

Good job everyone with the totals so far! Let's go kick some more red bike, and green bike and yellow submarine

I dunno, Sean, those hippies might have had the right idea! Frisbee, anyone?

Jeng, Jose, Jimbo--WHERE ARE YOU? We miss you!
2007-03-06 9:24 AM
in reply to: #712797

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
prof40 - 2007-03-06 4:33 AM

Wow, we have some serious totals going here!

As of Monday, here are the numbers:

Swim 5,424 yards
Bike 300.37 miles
Run 65.47 miles

Very impressive!

Each week, when you're done with your training, send them in. I'll add mine on Saturday, just because I'm a Sun to Sat type of guy. (And my BT log is set up that way. Yeah, I'm lazy, I know.) But if you're Mon to Sun, that works, too.

Any predictions on our combined totals at the end of the month?

Predictions:
Swim: 33,500 yards
Bike: 1850 miles
Run: 410 miles

Just based on the #days factored up for the month... and gave us a little extra (for the cookie penance some of us are struggling with).

So everyone has to keep up the rate they were at or improve it... these are good numbers, let's go for them!

Edited by kanders 2007-03-06 9:26 AM
2007-03-06 2:20 PM

Veteran
Ontario
Hello all!

Name: Rob

Story: Very recently couch ridden fat guy trying to get back into shape. The Tri is just another motivation for that, and I also loved to be challenged so I think I will enjoy it.

Past races: none

FAMILY STATUS: Single. No kids. Nothing holding me back except silly work schedules that I can work around.

2007 races: June 10th try-a-tri race here in Ontario. 300m S/10k B/2k R. If I complete that with out any problems I am going to try a sprint a month or 2 after but will see how things go.

Current training: Too cold to bike outdoors but I try to get on the MTB at least twice a week. I am currently going to the gym 4-6 times a week for about an hour. I try to do roughly the triathalon each time I go except for swiming which I am just starting out.

weight loss goal: I have lost about 25lbs since last november when I just started to get back into things. I am currently about 230lbs (6'4) and looking to be around 210-215 by this summer.

Thats about it, look forward to trying to keep up with out guys!

2007-03-06 2:37 PM
in reply to: #710900

User image

Brandon, FL.
Aaack !!! Sorry for posting so late. My March totals are:

44.88 Bike
6.5 Run

I didn't help out too much with the run as the respiratory thing I had took a while longer to go away. They should be better this week.

Good job everyone !

Sean

Edited by Sp3c0ps27 2007-03-06 2:42 PM

2007-03-06 2:50 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Okay, yesterday was not a double day, but today has to be.
I am ran and did weights now I need to swim-8 to 16 laps. I will add the rest to my 10 mile bike on Wednsday morning. Had a major breakdown yesterday and again today, Crying over SMALL stuff. The lady at Walgreens would not let me write a check. Okay, I did go to Walgreens in the hood, my bad. I cried for 20 min. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Being in recovery from food addiction (I have been clean for 12 days) is 1000% worse than PMS! The goal of the day is to stay clean no matter what. Recovery comes first! no extra food today. Also I can not allow the managaer at walgreen deciced if I am worthy human being. If that is what my self eestm is hinged on, I am going DOWN. Doing better, I am better. Go team Go! BGT
2007-03-06 6:05 PM

Veteran
Ontario
Might as well jump right in

So far for March

Bike : 56km
Run : 6km
Swim : 480m

Really need to work on my swimming more, going to try and do it every-other visit to the gym.

Planning a 55km ride to next week with a stay over and 55km ride home. Should be a nice 5 total hours on the bike. Nothing to do with tri-training but more of a personal goal I have set for myself.

keep up the good work everyone!
2007-03-06 9:45 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Robb everything can be tri training! Heck I even blog when I go bolwing, anytime not spent on the coach is fair game.

Hey Lady, I had to find Jenn with her new email address, here it is: [email protected] sorry that took so long, She knows you are going to contact her, she is very excited to connect with you. did my double day, ran 2 miles weight trained and did 16 laps in the pool. Very tired girl.
Good night John Boy, Goodnight Henrietta, goodnight BT. BGT
2007-03-07 3:53 AM

User image

hey guys my question is regarding compression pants Im looking at buying a pair of skins they have long pants like tights and shorts which pretty much go to your knees which pair should i be buying for training on my bike and running? also are they allright to swim in???

cheers
malphh
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72