BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2007-03-29 9:17 AM
in reply to: #645139

Searcy, AR
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL
I just want to take the time to say that everyone in this group really inspires me. Everyone here is really good about pushing each other just the right amount.

I wanted to chime in on what Steve was saying to mdelder. You should be very proud of your first tri! I agree with Steve that you are now a tri-athlete. You finished the race. Not many people in this world can say that they have ever done that. Keep your head up. I've already done a race and am training for others, but I don't think I would want to go up against you because you would smoke me in every event. I mean, come on, you ran 11 minute miles after riding hard on a mountain bike for, what 13 or 14 miles! That's awesome! Just wait until you get that new bike. Keep your head up. You are really an inspiration!

Everyone here, I just want to say thanks. Everyone here is doing great and I love hearing how everyone is doing. When richtherunner posts about his sub-freezing runs and says something like, hey, it wasn't so cold today, I just shake my head in wonder. If I had a glass, I would raise it to you all. I look forward to this race season and hearing about everyone's races. Take care.

2007-03-29 9:44 AM

User image

Thank you all so much for all the encouragement and support. The tri didn't feel that great at the time, but when I sit back and think about it, I managed fairly well. Thank you for helping me to see that! You're right, Dusty... Cheers to you all!

Jan, what a race! That's so awesome, and it feels so good to meet the goals you set for yourself. Now for the full marathon... go big or go home, right?!
2007-03-29 10:20 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
FOLKS FOLKS FOLKS.. HERE IS A MUST FOR YOU!!!!

Please click on the link to this website.
A guy by the name of Dave Warden runs this sight, and it is very informative. A lot of knowledge and experience from him, and others. I would strongly recommend that you guys not only LOOK @ the site, listen to the podcast, but one in particular. He puts on a 45 minute podcast about the top 20 things that you can save time during your race (and get the most bang for your buck!).

http://www.tri-talk.com/

Spend a few minutes going through this. It WILL HELP!
2007-03-29 7:04 PM

User image

Pro
2007-03-29 8:14 PM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

"...we do not levitate to the top of buildings, we climb the stairs."

Would someone please remind of that every now and then?

2007-04-04 6:16 PM

User image

Pro
HEY HEY HEY! HOPE ALL IS WELL w/ everyone. I have been slacking on my "MENTORING" things have been crazy busy the past few days, along w/ battling some sort of sickness/cold/stress, etc....

Workouts are good for everyone? Weather is getting nicer around the country!?

I have actually been able to get outside a few times myself. Funny story. Saturday went skiing and got rained on! Sunday went hiking and got snowed on! EL NINO!!!!! HA!

Good news.. I found out Monday that I was excepted back to the Amino Vital Team this year to race under their name! YIPPEE! That is motivation for getting out!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Edited by swbkrun 2007-04-04 6:27 PM

2007-04-07 12:28 PM
in reply to: #726847

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

I started riding outside last week.  Indoor spinning has really helped my form - especially the pull-up on the pedals, and spinning circles. 

I have this 'classic' Trek road bike: steel frame, 10 speed, with shifters on the down-tube.  I've been whining about how I don't have climbing gears, but you-know, I just suck it up and grind up the hills.  I think it'll make me that much stronger.  At any rate I keep dropping my training partners on the climbs so I must be doing something right.

Speaking of training partners, I have this new partner I ride with.  He is great! A couple of weeks ago we were going to ride this route for my May 5th Sprint Tri, but it was windy cold and rainy (in Oregon?  Really?) Anyway, I was ready to bag it but not him! We went out anyway and had a great ride.  Now I have no excuse.  Every Monday night - 15 miles rain or shine.

Be safe. There are some crazy drivers out there! 

2007-04-09 12:12 PM

User image

I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for this cold snap to be over! How was everyone's Easter??
2007-04-09 12:29 PM

User image

Pro
Easter was great. Did the family thing, and cleaned out the garage (MUCH NEEDED!!) Also a much needed rest day from Exercise. I have an adventure race on Tuesday night, so these next 2 days will be NICE!
2007-04-12 10:23 PM

User image

Got my first race coming up Sunday. Duathlon (2 mile run, 11.5 mile bike, 2 mile run). Anybody got any last minute tips? Got any good food recommendations for the night before and the morning of?

Later,

Benson
2007-04-13 6:26 AM
in reply to: #759590

User image

Veteran

DscoNfrno - 2007-04-12 11:23 PM Got my first race coming up Sunday. Duathlon (2 mile run, 11.5 mile bike, 2 mile run). Anybody got any last minute tips? Got any good food recommendations for the night before and the morning of? Later, Benson

Hi Benson, I usually have a bagel (with butter not cream cheese) for breakfast the morning of a race. Usually about 2 hours before. A little juice and some water is good too. Other than that you should be ok, as it is not a really long race.

What is your expected time?

Good luck and looking forward to reading your race report.

2007-04-13 8:06 AM
in reply to: #759707

User image

richtherunner - 2007-04-13 6:26 AM

DscoNfrno - 2007-04-12 11:23 PM Got my first race coming up Sunday. Duathlon (2 mile run, 11.5 mile bike, 2 mile run). Anybody got any last minute tips? Got any good food recommendations for the night before and the morning of? Later, Benson

Hi Benson, I usually have a bagel (with butter not cream cheese) for breakfast the morning of a race. Usually about 2 hours before. A little juice and some water is good too. Other than that you should be ok, as it is not a really long race.

What is your expected time?

Good luck and looking forward to reading your race report.

Thanks for the input Rich. I'm shooting for 1 hr 10 min. Hopefully a 7:30 pace on the run and avg 20 mph on the bike. The bike avg is the one I'm most concerned about. Not sure I can avg. that speed for that long. We'll see.

Benson
2007-04-14 10:27 AM

User image

Good luck Benson..that'll be fun. I have a question also, I'm 2 weeks away from my first tri and I plan on tapering the last week, but what are the right workouts to taper so that I'm optimal for the tri? Like distance/time/exertion/etc...
2007-04-15 2:16 PM
in reply to: #761059

User image

adam.gentzler - 2007-04-14 10:27 AM

Good luck Benson..that'll be fun. I have a question also, I'm 2 weeks away from my first tri and I plan on tapering the last week, but what are the right workouts to taper so that I'm optimal for the tri? Like distance/time/exertion/etc...

The only tapering I did for my race today was to not run or ride Friday or Saturday. I typically have a brick on Saturday's and a long ride on Friday's. I still swam earlier this week, but then again I did a duathlon and not a tri. I don't think I'll do any tapering for my race on May 5th either. I'll just take Thursday and Friday off, race on Saturday.

Speaking of races, mine went well this morning. I have put all the details on my race log if anyone wants to take a look. I beat my goal time of 1 hr 10 min, but was dissapointed in some of the decisions I made along the way in the race. More details are in the race log.

later,

Benson
2007-04-15 2:53 PM
in reply to: #761852

User image

Veteran

DscoNfrno - 2007-04-15 3:16 PM Speaking of races, mine went well this morning. I have put all the details on my race log if anyone wants to take a look. I beat my goal time of 1 hr 10 min, but was dissapointed in some of the decisions I made along the way in the race. More details are in the race log. later, Benson

Great job Benson. I read your race log and it sounds like you had a good race and learned some good lessons on the way. Way to go! Your next race will be even better.

2007-04-20 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran

Well, finally the spring weather is hitting Canadian soil this weekend. Highs in the mid to high teens (deg C) and even into 20's on Sunday.

So to celebrate, I have signed up for my first multisport race of the season. The Victoria's Duathlon in Waterloo on May 21st. It's a 4k/24k/4k race so will be ideal for guaging my fitness. Too cold for the swim, so figured a Du would be good instead.

No that I have signed up, training starts in earnest.

2007-04-23 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
Glad to hear that all is well with everyone, and RACE SEASON IS UNDERWAY FOR SOME! I am back in the country after having no computer access for 10 days (WHICH WAS REALLY NICE!).
2007-04-29 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran

Did a  nice 10.6k run this morning and actually feel great after. No Achilles pain or stiffness so far (about an hour and half later), so that is a great sign that things are looking up.

After cutting the grass, I'm playing 9 holes of Golf so that will also keep things loose.

Hope all of you are having a great weekend.

2007-04-30 12:38 AM
in reply to: #780391

User image

Pro
richtherunner - 2007-04-29 8:33 AM

Did a  nice 10.6k run this morning and actually feel great after. No Achilles pain or stiffness so far (about an hour and half later), so that is a great sign that things are looking up.

After cutting the grass, I'm playing 9 holes of Golf so that will also keep things loose.

Hope all of you are having a great weekend.

GOOD TO HEAR THAT YOU ACHILLES IS DOING GOOD!
2007-04-30 12:49 AM

User image

Pro
HEY HEY HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOME OF YOU HAVE NICE WEATHER AND ARE RACING THESE DAYS!! A COUPLE OF YOU THIS WEEKEND AS WELL!!!!

MDELDER--- ST. ANTHONY'S!

ADAM--- JAMES O'ROUKE MEMORIAL TRIATHLON!

COME ON! SHARE THE LOVE!

LET'S US KNOW HOW IT WENT!
2007-04-30 11:31 PM
in reply to: #780936

User image

Welp....my first tri is under my belt! Kind of an up and down experience. Training the week before was a little scattered b/c I went home for the week before, but did get some good/much needed riding in. I got to the race the day before for packet pick up, etc. The heats started at 8:30am, so I got there at 7 to set up my transition. That took 3 min. Ran into some ppl I know, and a BTer so that was good. But I was in heat 15 of 19 (slowest to fastest). So I didn't get to start till 11:50. Bad news b/c I ate a bowl of oatmeal at 6:30 and then all I had was a gu packet about 20 min before the race...I'll fill out a race report here in a minute as to not take up an entire page of positng. If you don't care to read it then here's the short version: 500 yd swim=8:13, T1=2 min ish, 14 mile bike,=47 ish, 5k= 26:30ish. Had to walk a mile...not cool.

Other than that, how sweet it is! I'm now spending 3 days fishing in one of the best fishing lakes in NE. Not a bad 4 days!!! Talk to you guys soon!

Adam

2007-05-01 12:20 AM
in reply to: #782791

User image

Pro
adam.gentzler - 2007-04-30 9:31 PM

Welp....my first tri is under my belt! Kind of an up and down experience. Training the week before was a little scattered b/c I went home for the week before, but did get some good/much needed riding in. I got to the race the day before for packet pick up, etc. The heats started at 8:30am, so I got there at 7 to set up my transition. That took 3 min. Ran into some ppl I know, and a BTer so that was good. But I was in heat 15 of 19 (slowest to fastest). So I didn't get to start till 11:50. Bad news b/c I ate a bowl of oatmeal at 6:30 and then all I had was a gu packet about 20 min before the race...I'll fill out a race report here in a minute as to not take up an entire page of positng. If you don't care to read it then here's the short version: 500 yd swim=8:13, T1=2 min ish, 14 mile bike,=47 ish, 5k= 26:30ish. Had to walk a mile...not cool.

Other than that, how sweet it is! I'm now spending 3 days fishing in one of the best fishing lakes in NE. Not a bad 4 days!!! Talk to you guys soon!

Adam

CONGRATS ADAM! YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2007-05-04 2:56 PM

User image

Hi guys. I completed St Anthony's Olympic Tri on Sunday! (I would have been in touch sooner but we went on a cruise to celebrate appropriately!) I will post more details later, but it was a lot of fun and fortunately the bay conditions were so perfect. I was on pace (or ahead) of my normal training except for the run. Really wanted a 3:30 finish but ended at 3:38. Swim--35.09, Bike--1:38, Run--1:19. I opted to not wear the wetsuit (lack of training in it) and wonder now how/if it would have affected my time, and running after the swim/bike is not easy, but try it at noon on a cloudless day in Florida! Thank you all for the support and encouragement. We're already talking again about next year. I have no races planned but hope to do a sprint in the coming months.
2007-05-04 5:07 PM
in reply to: #789223

User image

Pro
mdelder - 2007-05-04 12:56 PM

Hi guys. I completed St Anthony's Olympic Tri on Sunday! (I would have been in touch sooner but we went on a cruise to celebrate appropriately!) I will post more details later, but it was a lot of fun and fortunately the bay conditions were so perfect. I was on pace (or ahead) of my normal training except for the run. Really wanted a 3:30 finish but ended at 3:38. Swim--35.09, Bike--1:38, Run--1:19. I opted to not wear the wetsuit (lack of training in it) and wonder now how/if it would have affected my time, and running after the swim/bike is not easy, but try it at noon on a cloudless day in Florida! Thank you all for the support and encouragement. We're already talking again about next year. I have no races planned but hope to do a sprint in the coming months.

It is hard to judge how you would have done w/ your wetsuit.. not being used to it. You may have felt constricted and had a "panic attack." Causing you to want to do the breast stroke the rest of the way, but you would have for sure save yourself about 2-3 minutes. GREAT JOB THOUGH!
2007-05-04 5:31 PM

User image

Subject: Good job guys
Good job on your races guys. I'll be happy if I perform as good as you have Adam. I was impressed.

I have my first tri tomorrow (CB&I Tri in The Woodlands, TX). I've only got one problem going into this race. I've been sick all week with some sort of sinus/upper respiratory infection. Yeah, not pretty. Ran a fever Tuesday afternoon and lost my voice completely last night and today. The upshot is that I'm on the rebound now. However, I'm still not 100%. Does anyone out there have any advice for doing a race when you might be a little under the weather still?

Thanks guys and have a good weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 21