BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 42

2007-07-02 1:12 PM
in reply to: #869040

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's Group - CLOSED
Question for the group..

I've been training pretty consistently, but I'm not sure if I'm working hard enough. I've been training mostly on perceived effort - haven't gotten around to doing a real LT test. I'm getting faster in the runs, feeling stronger in the swim, and well the bike is okay (least training time).

The question is I only seem be "sore" after a race where I push hard for example. Do you need to feel sore (muscle soreness) to really be making significant gains? And if so, I'm not sure they best way to push myself to that level - ie: longer sessions, or harder workouts, or both I guess.

I think I'm going to push harder this month and see what happens.. Seems the human body and mind instinctually tries to find the path of least resistance (or expenditure), aka efficiency.

I guess that's what makes training "hard". This all seems to makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint anyway when food and energy were hard to come before super-sizing at McDonald's.

Rob

2007-07-02 2:35 PM
in reply to: #869063

User image

rperissi - 2007-07-02 1:12 PM Question for the group.. I've been training pretty consistently, but I'm not sure if I'm working hard enough. I've been training mostly on perceived effort - haven't gotten around to doing a real LT test. I'm getting faster in the runs, feeling stronger in the swim, and well the bike is okay (least training time). The question is I only seem be "sore" after a race where I push hard for example. Do you need to feel sore (muscle soreness) to really be making significant gains? And if so, I'm not sure they best way to push myself to that level - ie: longer sessions, or harder workouts, or both I guess. I think I'm going to push harder this month and see what happens.. Seems the human body and mind instinctually tries to find the path of least resistance (or expenditure), aka efficiency. I guess that's what makes training "hard". This all seems to makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint anyway when food and energy were hard to come before super-sizing at McDonald's. Rob

No, its good that you aren't getting sore after your workouts... your body is adapting to exercise.  You might, however, want to start adding a bit of intensity into your workouts.  Add a tempo run, or some track work.  Add a hard hill ride... something to that effect.  Just don't do it all the time.  You should still be training you base.

2007-07-02 4:24 PM
in reply to: #869298

User image

Expert
What is the bike name website again?  I saw the guy that calls himself Cap'n Jack Sparrow on here named his bike the black pearl and got really cool lettering for the fork. If I get faster, I might do that for the banshee. Right now I am too slow and people will think I am a strap on....
2007-07-02 8:54 PM
in reply to: #864318

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Anyone have big plans for the holiday??? My parents are comming to stay for 4 days, then the day they leave my husbands best friend and his girlfriend are comming for a few days...it should be an interesting week. I'm so glad its a recovery week...that will make me feel a little less guilty if I miss a workout.
2007-07-02 11:09 PM
in reply to: #869491

User image

gator22 - 2007-07-02 4:24 PM What is the bike name website again?  I saw the guy that calls himself Cap'n Jack Sparrow on here named his bike the black pearl and got really cool lettering for the fork. If I get faster, I might do that for the banshee. Right now I am too slow and people will think I am a strap on....

Bikenames.com .. ironically enough.  I still want to get some for SuperFly.

2007-07-03 12:27 PM
in reply to: #804244

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Holiday plans.....run, bike, swim.....he he. Actually heading to my mom's later for the annual parade in her small town. Great fun. Of course, I am planning a 40 min run tomorrow morning before the parade, as well!! I had a pretty nice ride this morning, the bike feels better every time I get on it, especially since I had the gears adjusted yesterday.

Bike question: How much bike repair/tweaking/upkeep etc do you do versus taking it to the bike shop? How does one begin to learn how to do it? I am nervous that I haven't changed a flat EVER nor had any major troubles on a ride. . . and I feel I should do some learning before having to do it under duress. So, if you can recommend good books, websites, or ?? let me know! Thanks.

--Leslie

2007-07-03 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I repair my own flats. The rest, I take in. I'd like to learn how, but I think much of it just takes an "eye" and a "feel" that has to develop after doing it a lot, and I don't have the time to do it a lot.

I do a big tune up once a year.

That being said, I do know that many bike shops will hold a "learn how to do it" workshop. I'd ask your local shop if they have one of those.

Edited by grnidone 2007-07-03 12:34 PM
2007-07-03 1:21 PM
in reply to: #869803

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
I am doing the Peachtree Road Race for the 4th, then have the four days off following that to recuperate. Read that as clean house and do all the stuff I have been slackin' on doing. :P
2007-07-03 1:22 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I take mine in before every race to get a minor tune-up.  But it's free at my shop, otherwise I'd do it maybe 2x per year or before an "A" race.  But what I DO is sit there and WATCH them do it.  Ask them questions as they are doing it.  I have yet to meet a mechanic that isn't willing to show you how things are done.  I learned how my bottom bracket went in when they replaced it a couple weeks ago.

And in regards to the flat repair.  Either take the air out and change it in your living room or take it to the shop and ask them to show you how to do it.  It's all about trial and error.

2007-07-03 3:17 PM
in reply to: #870856

User image

Expert
There is a lot of good info about inor bike repairs on the web (with video).  As for the holiday, I will be working 16 hours, so think of me when you guys are partying...
2007-07-03 6:38 PM
in reply to: #864318

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Funny story...I had to share it with you guys.
Today I swam at the rec and then came home to run. I put my shoes on in the garage and put long athletic shorts and a tshirt on over my (one piece athletic) suit. About halfway through the run I got hot so I took my shirt off, figured it would be ok since i have a conservative suit and no boobs. I guess about this time the boy driving the ice cream truck around the neighborhood noticed and decided to follow me all the way home. I probably wouldn't have noticed it but the music kinda gave him away. It was pretty amusing...I was laughing the whole way home!

2007-07-03 10:23 PM
in reply to: #871353

User image

Regular
So that is why gator22 drives an Ice Cream truck part time
2007-07-04 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I want to share with you an email from my mom.

She turns the big Six O this year and to celebrate, wants to go on a bicycle ride around the Florida keys. She used to do centuries and other types of distance cycling, but hasn't for the last few years. She wanted to know how to get back in shape for a week of 30 mile days, so I showed her this site and some of the training plans.

Then I told her she should get a heart rate monitor. So, she went to the heartratemonitors.com web site and purchased one. This is her email:

Mine will be pink-I'm not a pink person, but it is smaller. Now I will know if I'm about to die when I head into the south wind.

That's the spirit, Mom!
2007-07-04 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I probably wouldn't have noticed it but the music kinda gave him away.

GAFAW!
2007-07-04 9:33 AM
in reply to: #871632

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

grnidone - 2007-07-04 8:06 AM I want to share with you an email from my mom. She turns the big Six O this year and to celebrate, wants to go on a bicycle ride around the Florida keys. She used to do centuries and other types of distance cycling, but hasn't for the last few years. She wanted to know how to get back in shape for a week of 30 mile days, so I showed her this site and some of the training plans. Then I told her she should get a heart rate monitor. So, she went to the heartratemonitors.com web site and purchased one. This is her email:
Mine will be pink-I'm not a pink person, but it is smaller. Now I will know if I'm about to die when I head into the south wind.
That's the spirit, Mom!

That's really cool!  My mom just turned 60 in March.  She's not in bad shape, but no way could she do anything like that.

I wish her the best of luck!! Smile

2007-07-04 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
ok..

I'm trying to configure my hrm with the xls worksheet I did. My lactate threshold is 173 according to the test.

If I use the manual setting of hte hrm (subtract my age from 220) I get a maximum hr of 185.

This seems really close. My max hr when I did the test was 183.

So, do I just use the age subtraction formula? Because I can't figure out how to program my hrm to use the figures in the spreadsheet. (I have a Polar F6 heart rate monitor.)

Help?

2007-07-04 9:58 AM
in reply to: #871738

User image

Happy 4th of July everyone... I think everyone is from the US on this thread. If not, sorry - maybe go out and have a hot dog anyway. Nothing says independance like processed meat by-product!

Anyone racing today? I know there are a ton of 5k's around. I got a quick ride in today, then off to see eat said hot dogs.

Rob
2007-07-04 10:52 AM

User image

I have an F6 also... you can't program them with your training zones.  I know my training zones and I just keep an eye on my HR as I run.  I hate the beep thing anyway.
2007-07-04 2:47 PM
in reply to: #871513

User image

Expert

firstriguy - 2007-07-03 10:23 PM So that is why gator22 drives an Ice Cream truck part time

SO that is how we talk in front of guests...That is why we can't have nice things..

2007-07-04 8:03 PM
in reply to: #871962

User image

gator22 - 2007-07-04 2:47 PM

firstriguy - 2007-07-03 10:23 PM So that is why gator22 drives an Ice Cream truck part time

SO that is how we talk in front of guests...That is why we can't have nice things..

LOL!!

2007-07-04 8:13 PM
in reply to: #872162

User image

Expert
I am at work and totally bored..Until the fireworks start and overzealous city residents start shooting each other, I am stuck here!  Don't you people have interesting stories about your holidays to post and keep me entertained?????

2007-07-04 9:04 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Here's a story from the past, Gator....4th of July story.....in 1993 I spent a summer in Europe....on July 4, I was on a Greek Island and it was insane....youth from around the world partying and all. The folks from other countries were mocking the USA and kept doing parades through the outdoor bars and beaches dressed as cowboys and Indians (no idea where they got the costumes!).....and they were all singing national songs and just being silly and a bit on the jerky side (yet it was fun). Unfortunately, the Americans took it very personally and tried to come up with national songs, etc and basically ended up singing television theme songs from the 70s and 80s. It was ugly. My friend and I pulled out our maple leaf attire and spent the rest of the day as Canadians. Normally I have no problem with my nationality, but this day, it was necessary to fake being from the north. Vancouver BC is only a couple of hrs away, so at least we were close!

Today we went to a really cute small-town parade with the boys. They were so cute, waving at the people and seriously enjoying themselves. My 4 year old stayed up until fireworks last night for the first time (barely made it). Tonight we are all tired, back home, and heading for an early bedtime.....so have fun, those of you out in the world! (I did get my run in today. The lake was way too yukky from the boats churning up goo that I did not swim.)

Cute story about the moms.....my mom is 62 and used to do triathlons when she was in her 40s. We had a really nice long talk about our competitive nature. It was fun!

2007-07-05 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Quiet on here today. . . . . .
2007-07-05 6:59 PM

User image

Yeah, guys!!!  What gives?!?!  I am on vacation, so I have an excuse!
2007-07-05 7:20 PM
in reply to: #873695

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

I am on vacation as well, so can that be my excuse, too?

I had planned today to be somewhat productive around the house, but instead I have spent it hobbling around. What is more sad than that, is regardless of all this pain today, I cannot wait until the next race! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 42