BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-02-23 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1230407

User image

DC
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CONGRATS BILL PR and B-Day!!
TheMaz - 2008-02-22 11:56 PM

gracetheterp - 2008-02-22 5:43 PM
pshorty - 2008-02-22 5:36 PM I think this is the best way to train while in college.
This explains my lack of results from my current training plan. Hmmmm.

I'm familiar with that training plan; I believe many similar events were brought together under a single umbrella, the collegiate decathlon. For what I can remember (and I remember very little), the events included headstand push-ups on the top of a very large can of beer; riding bicycles with alternate hydration systems; and sprinting across open spaces in less fabric than a speedo.

Umm, did it just get quiet in here? 

Don't forget sloshball...

Happy weekend everyone

2008-02-24 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

"Sloshball?"

2008-02-24 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

How was everyone's weekend?

Anyone get outside

2008-02-24 7:00 PM
in reply to: #1232239

User image

DC
TheMaz - 2008-02-24 4:15 PM

"Sloshball?"

Lovely game that involves pouring beers into the uncapped end of a hollow wiffleball bat and chugging it prior to the pitch. And a keg on second base.

College kids are soo classy.
2008-02-24 7:08 PM
in reply to: #1232486

User image

DC
TheMaz - 2008-02-24 6:34 PM

Anyone get outside

Yuck I wish...Painting all day Saturday and today I didn't roll out of bed until 3 p.m. Been pretending to study balancing cleaning up, reading, and BT-ing ever since.

Got a lovely 3 mile swim waiting for me tomorrow morning though. Gotta keep ahead of Bill. Can't wait for it to get warm out so I will actually enjoy running & biking

Nate- I'm totally with you on the bike issues. I picked up my dad's old road bike, which was a pretty nice bike when it was made. I got it fitted for me and everything but don't really know much about bikes, which makes it hard to mess around with it. I guess I should be able to ride it for a while before worrying about clipless pedals and aerobars and stuff, but I feel like that stuff is also good to get used to in the early stages of training? Any thoughts from people who are good bikers?

Confession: I actually don't even know how to change a tire; I am going to a basic bike maintenance class on Tuesday though at REI It's on the topic list.
2008-02-25 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
If you're planning on using aeros and clipless in your triathlons, then it is a very good idea to use them early on in training.  Aeros are squirrely when you start off.  There's definitely a time period you have to go through just to get used to them.  I fell over twice like I'd never ridden a bike before.  But I ride a good 1.5-2mph faster in the aeros.  As for clipless, get them as soon as you can.  Not that you really need practice with them, except for remembering to unclip when you're stopping.  But clipless pedals are SO much more efficient and comfortable.  That would be my recommendation as the first expenditure you save up for.  Don't forget ya gotta get the shoes, too.

2008-02-25 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I'll just give a list of the stuff I would reccomend getting in order of importance:

Bike (obviously).  But 1.a is a helmet.  Not an aero one or anything, just a helmet.  As I was told:  "This helmet costs $50.  What do you think a neurosurgeon costs?"  Afterall, you have to have a helmet to race.

Seat bag with an extra tube or two, CO2 cartridges, an inflator, and tire levers.  Nothing sucks worse than sitting on the side of the road, trying to phone a friend to drive 20 miles to pick you up.  Actually, it might suck worse to flat in a Tri and just be sitting there SOL.  You ARE going to flat one day.  Be prepared.

Clipless pedals.  If you're interested in being more comfortable, riding faster, and saving some important muscles for the run, then get these as soon as you can.  Keep in mind, you gotta get the shoes with them.  You wouldn't dream of running in cycling shoes, so why bike in running shoes?  Hey, it saves some wear and tear on the sneakers and your calves will thank you after T2.

That's the list of all I think you NEED.  The two most effective "luxuries" would be:

Aerobars.  Yes, you will go faster.  Now, some people HATE the aero position.  They just can't get comfortable.  If that's the case, don't get them.  However, if you're just having problems handling or something, then ride, ride, ride, ride on them.  You'll get used to them and be glad you did.

Aerodrink.  Being able to just tilt your head down and suck some water through a straw is outstanding.  No reaching for water bottles, no worrying about dropping the bottles (like I did in my second tri).  The continuous sips of H2O also seemed to help me much more than reaching down and taking a swig every few minutes.

Random toys that are unecessary, but cool, and probably help some:

Tri specific cycling shoes

Forward seat post

Tri specific saddle

2008-02-25 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1233554

User image

DC
sesh - 2008-02-25 10:29 AM

I'll just give a list of the stuff I would reccomend getting in order of importance:

That was fantastic and extremely helpful...THANKS!!
Beginner-friendly as this site may be, I still feel like a loser asking basic questions like that...
2008-02-25 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1233567

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
gracetheterp - 2008-02-25 9:32 AM
sesh - 2008-02-25 10:29 AM

That was fantastic and extremely helpful...THANKS!! Beginner-friendly as this site may be, I still feel like a loser asking basic questions like that...

It's much better to ask what you think is a basic question and get the answer here or in your LBS than to find the answer out on the road.  I was the same way, though.  I didn't even know there was such a thing as clipless pedals when I bought my first bike.  I've gone from not knowing that to completely disassembling and reassembling a bike just to practice working on one.

2008-02-25 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Portland
While we're on the topic of basic questions-- what is a forward seat post and why would you want one?

On another note, I managed to get outside for a couple of bike rides, got rained on both times in the end (trying to beat the rain storms, didn't work). And saw the Tour of California on Sat. and Sun.. The finish was here in Pasadena and it was a very exciting end, in the pouring rain, with Hincapie winning that stage.

2008-02-25 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1233813

User image

Regular
kerryleigh5 - 2008-02-25 12:14 PM

While we're on the topic of basic questions-- what is a forward seat post and why would you want one?

On another note, I managed to get outside for a couple of bike rides, got rained on both times in the end (trying to beat the rain storms, didn't work). And saw the Tour of California on Sat. and Sun.. The finish was here in Pasadena and it was a very exciting end, in the pouring rain, with Hincapie winning that stage.

Here is a picture of one:

http://www.trisports.com/proftomfasfo.html

It basically moves your body forward so you are more over your aerobars and not too stretched out when in aero position. You would use one on a road bike that is outfitted for triathlon, ie. with aerobars, etc.

2008-02-25 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1232486

User image

Regular
TheMaz - 2008-02-24 6:34 PM

Anyone get outside

We had some pretty good weather this weekend. It think it was even 39 degrees on Saturday. High of 20 tomorrow and we are supposed to get 5 inches of snow tonight.
2008-02-25 1:17 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

The forward seatpost, as Paul said, is supposed to make the aero position a bit more comfortable.  It's also supposed help save some muscles for the run.  Basically, it gives your road bike a more tri-bike geometry.  I don't know how well they work.  I'm supposed to be getting one soon if the LBS gets them in.  If he doesn't, I guess I'll get one online.  Really the only reason I'm going through the LBS is to get fitted on it.  I'll let ya know how it works out when I test it out.

Basically, I'm going to get that seat post and another saddle.  This way I'll have a regular seat post and saddle, and a forward seat post and saddle.  I'll just mark each one and I'll be able to change them out in about a minute instead of taking the saddle off each time.

Edited by sesh 2008-02-25 2:28 PM
2008-02-25 6:08 PM

User image

Regular
So Bill and Grace, who is winning the swim-off? What does the loser have to do?
2008-02-25 6:10 PM
in reply to: #1234857

User image

DC
pshorty - 2008-02-25 7:08 PM

As predicted, I'm ahead on mileage, but Bill already hit his February goal and I still have 2 sessions left. We're going to time trial race a mile this week- Bill Wednesday and me on Friday. Anyone else want in?
2008-02-25 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1234860

User image

Regular
gracetheterp - 2008-02-25 7:10 PM

As predicted, I'm ahead on mileage, but Bill already hit his February goal and I still have 2 sessions left. We're going to time trial race a mile this week- Bill Wednesday and me on Friday. Anyone else want in?

Is it a real mile or a swim mile?

2008-02-25 7:40 PM
in reply to: #1234970

User image

DC
pshorty - 2008-02-25 8:30 PM

gracetheterp - 2008-02-25 7:10 PM

Is it a real mile or a swim mile?

Swim mile? Puh-lease. 1800 yards. I wonder what that is in nautical miles...
2008-02-25 11:15 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Kerry's post about the Tour of California reminded me of something.  This link is a youtube clip of some stuff from the Tour le Fleur.  It was a crit and road race that was held in Jackson, MS for a few years.  It was a fairly big event for a while, but it sorta trailed off.  I think they're reviving it this year, though.  Anyway, the video is from the '97 race.  The best part, and the reason I'm posting it, starts at 3:30 toward the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsfVdBfzLHE

2008-02-26 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1235293

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-02-26 12:15 AM

Kerry's post about the Tour of California reminded me of something.  This link is a youtube clip of some stuff from the Tour le Fleur.  It was a crit and road race that was held in Jackson, MS for a few years.  It was a fairly big event for a while, but it sorta trailed off.  I think they're reviving it this year, though.  Anyway, the video is from the '97 race.  The best part, and the reason I'm posting it, starts at 3:30 toward the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsfVdBfzLHE

That's awesome!!
2008-02-26 10:26 AM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Hey Everyone!

I just went out of town for work last week. I was really stressed the weeks before preparing for a conference but my training didn't suffer too bad. I did manage to fit in a swim and a run while I was at the hotel and I did a ton of walking. I was in DC and there is a ton of stuff to walk to and see.

I haven't had a chance to update my logs yet. I just got a chance to read this thread from where I left off. Lots has been going on.

Now I am feeling a cold starting to attack me. I am trying to listen to my own advice and keep training. Above the neck symptoms. Anyway, I am just about to get some easy workouts this week and maybe, if I can fight the cold, do some distances this weekend.

Oh, and I missed the Tour de Cali. If I was in town I had plans to go to Pasadina and see the finish. Kerry, I am so jealous!
2008-02-26 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1235906

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

wyndswept - 2008-02-26 10:26 AM Hey Everyone! I just went out of town for work last week. I was really stressed the weeks before preparing for a conference but my training didn't suffer too bad. I did manage to fit in a swim and a run while I was at the hotel and I did a ton of walking. I was in DC and there is a ton of stuff to walk to and see. I haven't had a chance to update my logs yet. I just got a chance to read this thread from where I left off. Lots has been going on. Now I am feeling a cold starting to attack me. I am trying to listen to my own advice and keep training. Above the neck symptoms. Anyway, I am just about to get some easy workouts this week and maybe, if I can fight the cold, do some distances this weekend. Oh, and I missed the Tour de Cali. If I was in town I had plans to go to Pasadina and see the finish. Kerry, I am so jealous!

Welcome back.  Train that cold away

How was the conference?

2008-02-26 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Visual aids to go along with some other stuff.  The pics are of clip on aerobars with the aero drink attached, a seat bag, and the stuff that goes in a seat bag.

(seat bag.JPG)

(seat bag stuff.JPG)

(aero drink and clip ons.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
seat bag.JPG (32KB - 20 downloads)
seat bag stuff.JPG (21KB - 18 downloads)
aero drink and clip ons.JPG (39KB - 23 downloads)
2008-02-26 8:51 PM

User image

Regular
Tomorrow is Bill's mile swim in the great swim off of '08. GOOD LUCK BILL!!!
2008-02-26 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1237819

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
I'm totally wearing my tri-suit for it, too.  The life guards already think I'm crazy as it is.
2008-02-27 6:54 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33