BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2008-01-22 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1091616

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
Subject: RE: kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED
been MIA for a few days, but i just got caught up.
brit, AWESOME story, i could mirror it in so many ways!! (excpet i was never in the military)

i was running a mile every day, for MONTHS and i kept thinking, this has GOT to get easier, and just like you all were talking about, one day, i just did a LITTLE bit more, and the more i did that, the easier it got. i ran for probably 3 months though before i was able to break through there. and i was running ALMOST every day.

i took TOO much time off during the holidays, and now coming back is a little harder. that, plus we're having a cold snap, and running in 20 degree weather isn't as fun as it sounds.

i have never run with a buddy, i've always thought it would be fun and good, because i have a tendancy to get mentally bored, so what i've started doing, and this helps SO much, is composing letters.
letters to people i haven't talked to in a long time, letters to two of my sisters who don't speak to me, and even once a letter to running. (it sounds weird, but it was really helpful)

i love to run, i hate to walk out the door, but i love to run once i'm out there. my big mental barrier right now is just getting out the door. i have SO many excuses not to, my husband is really good at calling me on all my excuses and pushing me out the door though, so i think i'll get through it eventually.

this morning i ran about a mile and a half in about 18 minutes, which is frustrating to me. two months ago i was able to do about TWICE that, in that amount of time. but like i said, too much time off, and having it be so breath-stealingly-cold mean for slower times.

maybe i should start running times instead of distances, it's a good idea.

2008-01-22 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Hey gang! Sorry for being AWOL of late. Life has been pretty crazy and continues to be this week. Hopefully things will settle down for me next week and I can get back to posting regularly again.
2008-01-23 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC

Hey gang, sounds like everyone is doing great!  I completely understand on the being busy....today is my weekly weigh in day.  As of this morning, I was 151.2, down 6.6 pounds in 3 weeks!  Not too bad.  I am sure it is about to slow down, but not a bad start for 3 weeks.  I know it is going to take a while, but I am really excited about getting to my goal!

I am still having a little trouble remaining consistent in my training, but I feel like I am doing much better. 

Hope everyone is doing really great! 

2008-01-23 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
THAT'S AWESOME!!! WAY TO STICK WITH THE HEALTHY EATING AND SHEDDING THOSE POUNDS!!!
2008-01-23 3:14 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Absolutely! That is great work, and really, averaging 2lbs a week is exactly what is recommended, any more and you probably aren't getting enough fuel in you and that is bad cause then your metabolism will drop and the whole venture gets more difficult! Great job!
2008-01-23 5:30 PM

User image

Master
went to the dr this morning, seems i've been running the last while with broken ribs. yeah, well now i feel better about my pace stinking, and my distances stinking. dr said i could keep running as long as the pain doesn't get worse, so i think i'm ok, but took today off, taking a deep breath sort of hurts.

yay on shedding the pounds!! yo'ure doing awesome! what was the goal weight? i finally broke in to the 140's which was the original goal, but i'd still love to burn off 10 more pounds of fat

2008-01-23 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1172719

User image

Champion
Sydney

lyssa-gator - 2008-01-24 10:30 AM went to the dr this morning, seems i've been running the last while with broken ribs. yeah, well now i feel better about my pace stinking, and my distances stinking. dr said i could keep running as long as the pain doesn't get worse, so i think i'm ok, but took today off, taking a deep breath sort of hurts. yay on shedding the pounds!! yo'ure doing awesome! what was the goal weight? i finally broke in to the 140's which was the original goal, but i'd still love to burn off 10 more pounds of fat

Wow goal weight!!! Congrats... even if yuo readjust your goal thats a HUGe achievement!!!

As for the broken ribs... ow ow ow! Glad to hear you are ok... at least you know not to worry about pace and just be happy you can keep running... sounds like you are made of pretty tough stuff!

2008-01-23 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1172719

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC

lyssa-gator - 2008-01-23 5:30 PM went to the dr this morning, seems i've been running the last while with broken ribs. yeah, well now i feel better about my pace stinking, and my distances stinking. dr said i could keep running as long as the pain doesn't get worse, so i think i'm ok, but took today off, taking a deep breath sort of hurts. yay on shedding the pounds!! yo'ure doing awesome! what was the goal weight? i finally broke in to the 140's which was the original goal, but i'd still love to burn off 10 more pounds of fat

The realistic goal is between 130-135 pounds.  The dream goal is between 125-130 pounds.  I decided that every 10  pounds I lose, I get to reward myself with something, like a massage, etc.  But, I haven't figured out the reward system yet, it just won't be food.    Congrats on getting into the 140's.  I hope to be there soon!

2008-01-23 7:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

oh, I like that as a reward system.  Better than my "chocolate cake" reward system :-)

2008-01-23 7:29 PM

User image

Master
chocolate cake reward.....mmmmmmmm

no, really, i think a reward is WELL deserved!! for all of us trying to lose weight! a massage would be awesome, or go to victorias secret!! get something to flaunt your new body in. i was thinking the other day, i used to LOVE to go tanning when i was younger, maybe i should go get a tanning card again. (unhealthy i know, but SOOOOOO relaxing!)
2008-01-23 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

ok, when I hit 175 (which is also a goal for my tri in March) I will pay for a massage.  I have never had one before

And a small non-fat latte has become my reward for going on a run.  It's it's in the middle of my campus so I can run around the outside of campus in different directions and get different distances.   If I order a mocha can it replace chocolate milk as the ideal recovery drink Wink

2008-01-24 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC

Lyssa - cool on the tanning!  I couldn't tan even if I wanted to.  I am a red-head, so I am either white or red (from a sunburn).  I have tried the fake, mystic, tans, but they just don't look right. 

Jeni - massages are very nice!  I would go to a nice, reputable place, so you get treated wonderfully and absolutely pampered. 

I think a reward system is great, it keeps you motivated to continue towards your goal.

2008-01-24 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1173697

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

excited2tri - 2008-01-24 9:13 AM   I am a red-head, so I am either white or red (from a sunburn). 

X2- Though, I do have lots of freckles, my bodies way of saying "I'm trying, I'm trying."  I'm a 50SPF person, that's for sure.

Hmmm, massage rewards do sound like a good idea....

2008-01-24 4:36 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney
excited2tri - 2008-01-25 2:13 AM

Lyssa - cool on the tanning!  I couldn't tan even if I wanted to.  I am a red-head, so I am either white or red (from a sunburn).  I have tried the fake, mystic, tans, but they just don't look right. 

Jeni - massages are very nice!  I would go to a nice, reputable place, so you get treated wonderfully and absolutely pampered. 

I think a reward system is great, it keeps you motivated to continue towards your goal.

One other thing on massages... dont forget they come in different types... not all of them are relaxing and soothing on the table...

Some (like sports massages) can be quite uncomfortable but feel GREAT when your body recovers from the shock (I find I get the massage.... go home, bath, drink lots of water... then the next evening when I do my workout - 24 hours later basically - its always a good one)

2008-01-24 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1174045

User image

Champion
Sydney
TexasMPGal - 2008-01-25 4:28 AM

excited2tri - 2008-01-24 9:13 AM   I am a red-head, so I am either white or red (from a sunburn). 

X2- Though, I do have lots of freckles, my bodies way of saying "I'm trying, I'm trying."  I'm a 50SPF person, that's for sure.

Hmmm, massage rewards do sound like a good idea....

hehe yes I BURN too... I can get a light tan but it only happens when I just happen to be outdoors often (with sunscreen on of coursE).

Although in December I relearnt the sunscreen lesson when I forgot to put some of for a swim and got fried in the time I was in the pool (there is a shot in my album if anyone wants to see... but looks painful)

2008-01-25 12:55 AM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
excited2tri - 2008-01-24 7:13 AM

I am a red-head, so I am either white or red (from a sunburn).

I'm the exact same way! I was a red-head as a child, but it's gone more brown (and gray ) as I've gotten older. You can still definitely see the red when I get out in the sun though. I chalk it up to my Irish heritage. I always joke and say the only time I have a tan is when I'm outside enough that my freckles all eventually run together.

I actually just got a new haircut a couple of nights ago. It's shorter than I usually wear it, so I'm still adjusting and getting used to it. It's kind of a cross between a wedge and a bob, if that makes any sense. It definitely has the look of a bob, but it's a big shorter in the back which kind of gives it the wedge look, too.

Anyway, hope everyone has a GREAT Friday! I'm off to bed.

2008-01-25 7:30 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Another thing we seem to have in common - fair skin. I like the sound of that better than pasty white.

This is my week in a nutshell - Sunday - rest and travel day from skiing
Monday - swim with lots of upper body work on the pull buoy with
paddles
Tuesday - run on dreadmill due to weather. Did some strides at
high speed without pain!
Wednesday - another swim and more upper body work in the pool
Thursday - 30 mile bike ride outside
Friday - 32 minute run on tap with some pick ups mixed in the
middle of it
Saturday - REST!
Still working on the positive attitude about running. I was talking to a friend yesterday about 5K's. She is doing her first tomorrow and is nervous. Caught myself telling her some of my 5K stories like when I got passed by a 75 year old man in the last half mile and couldn't keep up with a woman pushing a double stroller. I guess that is dwelling on the negative. Funny, but negative.

Have a great weekend, everybody!
2008-01-25 7:31 AM
in reply to: #1175326

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
BunnyB - 2008-01-25 1:55 AM

excited2tri - 2008-01-24 7:13 AM

I am a red-head, so I am either white or red (from a sunburn).

I'm the exact same way! I was a red-head as a child, but it's gone more brown (and gray ) as I've gotten older. You can still definitely see the red when I get out in the sun though. I chalk it up to my Irish heritage. I always joke and say the only time I have a tan is when I'm outside enough that my freckles all eventually run together.

I actually just got a new haircut a couple of nights ago. It's shorter than I usually wear it, so I'm still adjusting and getting used to it. It's kind of a cross between a wedge and a bob, if that makes any sense. It definitely has the look of a bob, but it's a big shorter in the back which kind of gives it the wedge look, too.

Anyway, hope everyone has a GREAT Friday! I'm off to bed.

I love that style. Like Victoria Beckham, right? Happy Friday!

2008-01-25 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC

Happy Friday everyone!  Did anyone go and see Spirit of the Marathon last night?  It was playing locally here in Charlotte.  What a great movie!  Didn't motivate me to run a marathon, but did make me feel proud that I do triathlons. 

Brit - I have really taken something to heart that you said earlier.  You said that you no longer run because you have to, you run because you get to.  I am really taking on that mindset.  You are so right, there are so many that don't get to do what we do.  I may be slow, but I do have the privledge in participating in triathlons.  Thank you so much for putting that into perspective for me.

As for my week:

Monday: swim for 1650 yards/46 minutes, run 15 minutes (1.27 miles)
Tuesday: rest day
Wednesday: Run 45 min (3.4 miles), 45 min strength and Core
Thursday: Swim 1600 yards (45 min), run 23 min (1.65 miles)
Friday: Swim 1400 yards (30 min), bike 45 min
Saturday: Bike 30 min, run 25 min
Sunday: Bike 30 min, Strength train and Core

Nice full week of training!  Hope you all have a great day and weekend.

2008-01-25 3:13 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Pretty decent week for me. Didn't get in as much swimming as I wanted--life interupted. WILL get a good swim in tomorrow as the pool is closed last week.  My big goal for this week was to get my runs in, despite the weather, etc. and I did--well, half the mileage...my last big day is Sunday before I start a gradual taper for the marathon.

Dia- so glad the comment on "get to" vs. "have to" has helped! I read that here, on someone else's blog--KathyG's I think...and it has TOTALLY helped me, and I say it.  I get to run my long run this weekend...and you're right on with all of it, we have the physical capacity to do it, regardless of speed, and it will all make us better people: mind, body, soul. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend and are enjoy GETTING to do whatever you have planned!

2008-01-25 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

My week has been good and included a Swimming PR for sprint  tri distance, a Brick that felt pretty good (looking forward to when I  "get" to do another one),a great game of squash (my third since before my knee injury and while I have forgotten how to work my backhand I noticed I don't get out of breath nearly as much as a year ago!!) and today was my longest swim workout ever! I will also make my goal of doing weights and core twice this week.

The weather has been cold but sunny... unfortunately it's supposed to turn for the worse tonight and they are calling for snow so I don't know if my club ride will be happening tomorrow morning. Cry This may be the weekend I break down and buy a trainer.

Unfortunately my healthy diet went on a major vacation this week.  I am a stress eater and this week's school work has been productive but stressful so I have been binging on desserts and baked goods all over the place! Gone back for seconds on the sweets and everything. Getting back to eating healthy will be the priority for next week- I want that massage!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2008-01-25 6:28 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

hmm maybe I should have this group mentoring me... my week has been free from training and full off work...bleh!

Its a long weekend here so Im going to try and get back into the training with a swim today and take it from there... Ive been going through the gym timetables and Im considering doing some Pump, Jam or combat classes... not sure yet but might be nice to train with some other people and good music???

Nutrition is getting better and Ive started tracking it closely... need to learn some self control in the evenings though as Ive been getting home from work late and brain dead and heading straight to the cupboards - where the food is healthy but not if you eat HUGE volumes of it!!! (especially my treats!!!)

But its usually late and I want dinner but there is a 30 minute period to turn it around at least normally... and as I cook for myself and my flatmate I cant just skive off and have toast! (when I lived alone that was a common fall back!)

If anyone has any tips Id love to hear them!!!

Edited by kaqphin 2008-01-25 6:29 PM
2008-01-25 9:18 PM

User image

Master
you can make TONS of great stuff in 30 minutes!!
something i make in a pinch is ravioli lasagna. cook store bought ravioli, layer it in a baking dish with marinara sauce, and shredded cheese (i buy it pre-shredded to save even more time) (sometimes i throw a little spinach in for an extra layer too-but not everyone in MY family LOVES spinach like i do ) and bake it for like 10 minutes just to melt the cheese. super great, my family LOVES it.

another thing i make a lot that's REALLY healthy is buy a bag of frozen califlauer and boil it until it's really soft, drain the water, and mash it like potatoes. it's as satisfying and comforting as mashed potatoes, but WAY healthier.

another stand by. warm up a can of refried beans with an onion, and some chili powder, roll up the beans in tortillas, cover with shredded cheese. then cover the whole thing with a mixture of cream of mushroom soup and sour cream and a can of green chillies. then bake it for like 1/2 hour. (this one freezes really well, just make it, freeze it, then stick it in the oven for like 45 minutes)

i can pm you some more recipes if you want, a good book to get though is rachel ray, 30 minute meals OR my other favorite is once a month cooking. (basically that you can spend a whole day cooking for one month, and just have 30 meals in your freezer-not a bad idea IF a person had the TIME!! )

HTH

off to log my brick of the week

my side is KILLING me so i might take another few days off this coming week to heal up a bit more
2008-01-25 10:02 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Thanks for the recipes Lyssa!!!! The Cauliflower sounds interesting.... wonder how that would go down....  

If I have a big freezer once a month cooking might have been an option... I should probably look into stuff that freezes well too? Might be easier than having to think at 8-9pm!

2008-01-26 10:22 AM

User image

Master
the once a month thing also has a plan for i think once a week cooking. i never did it, because i didn't have enough baking dishes! up until about a month ago, i had ONE 9X13 pan, and i had to cook everything in it.
the califlauer is GOOD. it's like mashed potatoes. i put butter on it, and i can eat a LOT of them. (warning--causes gas )
i bricked yesterday, now my side is hurting again, so i'm taking the day off i think.
have a good weekend guys!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44