BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2008-02-14 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1209728

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME
jacsuza - 2008-02-13 11:31 AM
tri-chic - 2008-02-13 7:46 AM

Garmin ??-  I can't find my book but I don't remember it showing me this option.  I can get to my HR but it's tiny tiny in the upper right hand corner.  How can I get it to show up as one of my screens.  I like to have HR/ Pace/ Time of Day and  How long I've been out.  Pace is negociable since I should be looking at the HR anyway.   If you can help a Non Techy out I'd appreciate it!

K

There is a way to do it -- I've got mine set up to show me pace and HR plus two other things on one of the screens.  (Obviously, I'm not caring about the other two things.)  I'll look it up tonight and post it if someone else doesn't beat me too it.

How to change the data fields (Garmin 305/205):

Main Menu - Settings - General -- Data Fields. 

Select the page you want to change, then select the number of data fields you want to see on that page.

Use the up and down arrows and "enter" to change the data field.  Press "mode" to exit.

I set up one page with time, HR, distance, and pace.  I'm using the HR during my run segments, to keep from going too fast, and the pace during my walk segments, to keep from going too slow.  Time of day is one of the optional screens available.

Have fun!

2008-02-14 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1098772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

This valentine's day has been very BAD FOOD ORIENTED for this girl. Not bad as in spoiled, bad as in I was naughty- I even made Sweet Pasta (with chocolate and hazelnuts and dare I say it- heavy cream) for dinner. Thank GOD this is only once I year. I feel GROSS! Going to take the kids to see "Spiderwick Chronicles" shortly.  Will bring a few waters to drink since I am doing a brick again in the morning with two friends. A gym brick- trainer and treadmill. Looking forward to some calorie burn.   I expect my triceps to hurt by morning as I threw a few sets of dips and triangle pushups off the wall into my morning today. 

Also going to leave work early tomorrow -- I think- as the kids are off, so that we can ski or SOMETHING.. Wanted to do x-c but they groaned a little so it may be back to the mountain before our non-holiday season passes are blocked out for 9 days (kids have full passes, but we don't - will have to come by some comps or something if we want to ski) Maybe we'll go tubing? Anyway, they have off Monday, too - so we'll have time for some fun.

2008-02-14 7:16 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Suzanne,

You are AWESOME!!! Thank you so much.  You are going to same my poor legs from injury.  Now I don't have excuse that I didn't know my HR. Heh!

Oh, you too Mimi...I can't believe it's had a light this whole time. 

Can you tell I'm definitely NOT in computers or anything else remotely technical.

Thanks again!

K

2008-02-14 9:34 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Ditto on the bad food today!  Back at it tomorrow.  Enjoy the skiing!
2008-02-15 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
I forgot it was Valentine's Day and just ate like a pig because it was thursday!!

My butt feels better, but I'm going to hold off on running til next week and even then just 30-60 minutes at a time to see how it goes. I have enjoyed my break, after 18 weeks of marathon training and then jumping right back into a 12 week marathon schedule I think my brain was tired of running too.
2008-02-15 9:08 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Understandable.  Enjoy the break!

I was going to get up and run this morning, but kept putting it off.  Found out it was 16 out - a little colder than I was expecting.  Guess I will do it during JJ's nap this afternoon when it is supposed to be 40. 

2008-02-15 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Happy  Friday! The kids are home with a sitter (no school for long weekend) and so I am leaving work at 1 to take them skiing- I sort of wish I had taken the whole day off- I have a hard time gearing up when I know I'm leaving.......

I missing my swims this week, but concentrating on upper body strength so when I get back in the water I feel  speedy fast (ha ha) Just bought two books on Amazon- Training Bible and The Woman Triathlete. Amazon said they shipped early this am, so hopefully there is UPS on President's Day? I don't know. Anyway, I should have them by Tueday, I hope. 

Saw the trailer last night for the new Indiana Jones movie- it looks good. (though might I add my first thought was "WOW! INDY LOOKS OLD" Time to get my boys all Indied up before Memorial Day so that they've seen other three by then. I think we have a few of them on VHS.

2008-02-15 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
I have The Woman Triathlete, I liked it, the plans were a little weak I think, but the strength stuff and nutrition stuff was good. I think Going Long was more helpful, but I like the women specific focus.

I'm leaving work early too, in a few minutes actually, and haven't accomplished a damn thing all day! I keep thinking about dinner tomorrow and the totally inappropriate shoes I bought to wear (why??) and if my dress will accomdate the large meal I'm going to shove into it. Not to mention the 6 hour drive to the Finger Lakes from the big D.

Have a lovely weekend all!! See you monday.
2008-02-15 10:46 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Hope everyone had a good day.  My kids were off school too, so I took the day off and kind of lazed into it with them.  Did some reading with my little boy and the we all went to the library.  Came back and it was naptime for JJ and the girls wanted to read their new books so I went out for a run and came back and did some time on the trainer. 

All in All a fun day.

2008-02-16 7:07 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

Hi all!  I am sitting here missing my long saturday morning ride   AND, I was hoping to sleep in a little this morning, but the dog was frisky at 7:15.  Guess that IS sleeping in - if I were riding I would have been up at 5:30.  I have a swim and a short run with pickups then the 1/2 mary I'm running tomorrow with my friend.  It should be a great morning, even if it does start at 6

Looking over the blogs this week, it seems everyone is finding a groove.  It may not be exactly what you have envisioned for the week, but hey, that's life!  Getting out the door is about 90% of the battle, so if you are doing that, you're doing good, IMO    For me, I know I have lacked focus in my training on more than one occassion lately.  I have around 10 weeks until my Oly, so I guess it's time!!  

Hope everyone has a great weekend, training and otherwise!!

2008-02-16 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Hello All-

I get a little grumpy when I cannot get my work out in first thing- this am, though it was below zero. I'm not above it- I've run at 20 below but really, it is losing its intrigue for me and that was something I did when the kids were smaller and my time options were more limited. And since I can't swim this afternoon with no pool, there's no reason to hurry up and get the run over with. Patrick's gone to the mountain (he is pretty hard core and skis NO MATTER WHAT, that's how he likes it) but I don't think I'm going to run Kevin to the cross-country course for 10 am. Somehow, I feel maybe it's too cold for him, being younger and smaller. Or maybe I baby him?! lol That's the mood I'm in now- still have about a half hour to decide. SO, probably will run around 2? and do some upper body strength stuff in lieu of swimming. 

IT's hard not to be jealous of you sunshine state girls on a morning like this but by 3/28 I will get 2 weeks of sunshine of my own.  Enjoy the moment today, everyone! That's what I'm aiming to do.

2008-02-16 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson

Hey all,

Unfortunately, it wasn't such a good week for me.  Child #1 came home sick from school on Tuesday and it took 2 trips to the Dr. (Wed & Fri) and 4 days to figure out that she has a bad case of strep throat.  Finally got her on the antibiotics yesterday.  She still had a rough night but seems to be doing a little better this AM.  With that and the weather,  I haven't seen the pool since last week and just got a little running in.  I'm going to try for a "date" with Coach Troy this evening after the kids are in bed and the husband is off playing his gig.  Hopefully she'll be well enough tomorrow that I can feel comfortable taking off for the Tri-Girls swim practice.

BTW, Amy -- come mid-April, if not sooner, this "sunshine girl" will be envying your weather!

2008-02-16 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Suzanne, Kelly, Mimi (anyone else with a Garmin)- do you use the training software that came with the Garmin?
2008-02-16 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1215924

User image

Veteran
Tucson

aquinn - 2008-02-16 10:45 AM Suzanne, Kelly, Mimi (anyone else with a Garmin)- do you use the training software that came with the Garmin?

I've installed it and downloaded my data once.  Looks interesting, but I haven't hade much time to play with it.

2008-02-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1215924

User image

Master
South Florida

aquinn - 2008-02-16 12:45 PM Suzanne, Kelly, Mimi (anyone else with a Garmin)- do you use the training software that came with the Garmin?

absolutely...it also links with trainingpeaks.com, which is the software my coach uses.  I like seeing it on the computer broken down into each mile, avg hr, etc...plus it keeps a running log of your stuff, so you can delete it from the watch...of course, I have a BT log, training peaks log and a training center log, so I'm probably the biggest time waster in the world, but I don't really care

2008-02-16 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Do we think that the calorie burning function on the Garmin is accurate? cause I would like my 40 minute 4.66 mile run to be burning more than 287. But I guess I'm just a dreamer.

2008-02-16 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Did I mention that it was a very hilly 4.66?

Cool

2008-02-16 3:38 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Check out this "Calorie Calculator" 

Someone weighing 150 running 40 minutes at 7.0 mph should burn 505 calories

http://www.runtheplanet.com/resources/tools/calculators/caloriecounter.asp 

2008-02-16 3:51 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

I dunno....so many different variables with pace, heart rate, weight, etc.  I just like to go round and think of it as 100 calories per mile...that way, when I gu, it's all round and stuff...so taking in 1/3 of my calories on the run means I gu every 30 minutes, which is a round estimate to a 10 min mile...which I hopefully can run faster than that but it's round.  If I get too technical I lose interest!!! 

For weight loss purposes, underestimate calorie burn rather than over...for nutritional purposes in training and racing, try to get as close as possible.  So I take in 100 calories of GU and then sip on gatorade endurance or infinit to make up the extra 20-50 calories on each mile the garmin says I burn...

Truthfully, I think the Garmin is a big fat liar.  I think I burn way less than it gives me credit for...or maybe I eat more than I give myself credit for   Either way, it seems I work too darn hard to keep it in balance!! 

OK, time to go run with the dog and burn approximate 133 calories per mile.  Supposed to do 10 min warm up, 5 X 20 sec pickups with 40 sec recovery and 10 min cool down.  Instead, because it's so pretty out and I don't need to do the pickups for tomorrow, I'm going to do an easy run with the dog.  TTFN

2008-02-16 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Man- I was thinking- "her dog does pick-ups?". Glad I read to the end.

I feel like that was a pretty hilly run with good heart rate spikes for 287. Still, I agree, since I still have another 6-10 pounds I'd love to shed, I will underestimate rather than overestimate calorie burn.  But 287 for 40 minutes is pretty darn low.  Did I mention it was hilly? lolEmbarassed

2008-02-17 3:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Sorry, you guys, for not getting on the Inspires much this week......personal $hit at home sometimes keeps me off the computer and so on......you get the idea.

Spring is coming, though,. so hope everyone is hanging in there! The pitchers and catchers have reported for spring training, so it's time to get out/rent Field of Dreams, The Natural, Big League, and some of the oldies like Pride of the Yankees, Damn Yankees, The Babe Ruth Story, etc!!

Can I be Angus Young now? I think he's got it better than being a teacher........

2008-02-17 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1216642

User image

Veteran
Tucson

Krakatoa - 2008-02-17 2:37 AM Sorry, you guys, for not getting on the Inspires much this week......personal $hit at home sometimes keeps me off the computer and so on......you get the idea. Spring is coming, though,. so hope everyone is hanging in there! The pitchers and catchers have reported for spring training, so it's time to get out/rent Field of Dreams, The Natural, Big League, and some of the oldies like Pride of the Yankees, Damn Yankees, The Babe Ruth Story, etc!! Can I be Angus Young now? I think he's got it better than being a teacher........

You wouldn't happend to be a Yankees fan, would you?

2008-02-17 11:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
I actually hate the Yankees with a passion, but I like these movies. To me, the Yankees became hate-able in the early 70s. Anything before that (Ruth, Gehrig, et al) are okay (-:
2008-02-18 2:56 AM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Mercy Posting!! We were only four slots from Page 2, so I thought I better make a salvage play.

Hope everyone is enjoying their three-day weekend!!
2008-02-18 7:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Sunday

Monday p

Tuesday

Wed. p

Thursday

Friday p

Saturday

Janis 6:30

LT test- run

Bike 53

Run 35

Bike 70

Bike 88

Run 44

strength

Swim 26

strength

Swim 35

Swim 44

A new week has dawned, people!

I've got a lot to do today, and when it's 48 degrees, windy and rainy in the mountains with tons of melting snow, it's hard to keep kids entertained, which could greatly effect the productivity of a lesser person- BUT I'M NOT GIVING IN TO IT, AND I AM SQUEEZING EVERY LAST MINUTE OUT OF THIS DAY (which I believe is either known as the power of positive thinking or denial.)

Looking forward to getting BACK IN THE POOL! And also seeing how Mimi's fun 1/2 Mary went yesterday!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  

of 36