BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-07-28 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2277380

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)

HelenR - 2009-07-10 6:24 PM

Heh gang- just coming back to life after my first super big race..... It was a long/tough day ( ie 6:45!!)- but nothing so glorious as coming through that finish line. The hills ate me up- but--- oh well----- got it done!!! Thanks everyone for the inspires.... trying to get back to seeing how everyone is doing and cheer you otherr BT'ers on!!!

Onward and upwards...  ( out of respect for the darn hills!!)

-Helen  

YAY Helen! way to get to that finish line...even after those durn hills tried to take all you had!!! KIU!!!! VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!

2009-07-28 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2277380

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

HelenR - 2009-07-10 6:24 PM

Heh gang- just coming back to life after my first super big race..... It was a long/tough day ( ie 6:45!!)- but nothing so glorious as coming through that finish line. The hills ate me up- but--- oh well----- got it done!!! Thanks everyone for the inspires.... trying to get back to seeing how everyone is doing and cheer you otherr BT'ers on!!!

Onward and upwards...  ( out of respect for the darn hills!!)

-Helen  

You have kicked this old ladies butt! I have yet to do a HIM! maybe one day! MAYBE!?!?! good for you for getting it done! SUPER SUPER PROUD OF YOU!!!! did you go and get half the IM (the "M" Tattoo done...and then you can add the dot over the "M" when you do a whole one!??  hehe....this is something my daughter joked about doing after her HIM....

2009-07-28 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2278106

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-07-11 9:33 AM I'm wanting to run, but worried since A. just ate bean/cheese burrito lunch and B. I hear thunder.........  but I do want to get out in the sprinkly rain..............
Think I'm just gonna risk it !!!!

sure that was thunder you heard??? or just some explosions from all those beans you ate!?!?! sorry had to go there!

2009-07-28 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2278364

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-07-11 2:11 PM Well I got robbed.  I saw the rain pick up and I was so happy to get to run in rain........  made it 15 minutes and the sun came out, it was hot, no rain, humid and I could see steam coming off of the road. I bitched on my facebook too ! lol
I did less than 5k, I got back in 35 minutes and I was so mad at myself. I was all but ready to give up on the 1/2 mary, "why the hell would I train for that when I can't even do this"......"what made me think I could run two hours or longer when I can only run 1/2 hour......."....... then I took a cold shower at home, calmed down and thought
"Julie, there was a time you could not run to the mailbox, shut up a little and try again "!!!!  So, pulling up big girl panties and trying again (but not today, today I'm still mad) !lol

way to pull up those bgp! I am proud of you! I will train beside you! I too can hardly run 3 miles these days...and will be running in a hm in October...want to go for a little run, jules?

2009-07-28 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2278535

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

HelenR - 2009-07-11 4:57 PM

Pics- ha ha- I'm am a totally computer illiterate ( note- no avatar...)- I wish I knew how to post- however they are are a 50'ish female, blue visor and sunglasses-- with THE BIGGEST SMILE on her face!!! ) !!!

Hope everyone is doind well this w'eknd- we are finally getting the heat ( and more so -the humidity!! )

-H

if you need a little help getting pics and an avatar...I am happy to size them for you so that you can upload them.....if you send me one in an email...I can do it for you! I would love to see that BIG SMILE! and would love to see you get an avatar. If you find one, I will help you to upload it.

2009-07-28 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2278676

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-07-11 7:09 PM It doesn't feel like a single thing is going right leading up to this triathlon. I.Am.So.Stressed!

hoping you lose the stress....what's going on??? you ok?

2009-07-28 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2278682

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-07-11 7:14 PM Susie on the left, me on the right:

thats great! way to kit with her! is she ever going to come back to us??? we miss her! and hope that she is doing well..and finally getting on with her life....hoping that sorry sack of Sh*T husband of hers is finally leaving her alone....and she is still training...even just a bit!

2009-07-28 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2279914

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-07-12 6:38 PM So, it rained heavily overnight so when I arrived at the race site they were announcing that the swim was cancelled because the river was too high and too fast. In place of the swim we'd be doing a 1.9 mile run. I was pretty bummed by this, didn't have the right water bottles with me for two runs and just couldn't wrap my head around doing a duathlon, so before the race started I decided that all I cared about was giving the bike my all. I took the 1st run pretty easy and then threw everything I had at the bike, passing everything in site! As a result, the 2nd run seriously sucked. The bike was way fun, the rest not so much. I don't see myself doing this particular race again.

My goal for the bike was to average 20mph over the 17 mile course. I ended up at 19.92mph. So close! My tri bike is so much fun! :D

I was in the top 10% overall for the bike. I have not yet seen an age group ranking. I was only passed by three women the whole ride; unfortunately, two were in my AG.

that sux Nicole! especially cuz you have been finding your swim jiggy...but way to go with the flow...and finish! and sounds like you rocked that race...19.92 is darn fast! I am sure your bike is loving having you as the piston!  KIU!!!!

2009-07-28 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2285621

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-07-14 5:46 PM Does anyone have a transition bag they particularly like and would recommend?

I got one with my Newton tennis shoes...it is bright ORANGE and hard to miss...my dd loves her Zoot one! did you ever find one? if so what did you end up getting?

2009-07-28 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2286640

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-07-15 7:56 AM I'm trying to change my avatar picture, however I can't find where to delete the one I have or upload a new one. for cryign out loud........ lol
I went to profile but saw no place to do it there, tried albums but only see my first tri....... Help please !!

I love your new avatar!! very cute picture of you!

2009-07-28 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2288004

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

HelenR - 2009-07-15 3:41 PM

this is the one I have:

http://www.triathletesports.com/LG-Race-Day-p/08lg-1493573.htm

there is an area at the bottom for your wet suit to fold up into. It is more like a big "sack" Your bike helmit fits nicely on the outside. Have carried it around on my back for the two tri's I used it for- very comfotable.

see you put a link in your message, Helen... you are on your way to being one HIGH TECH MAMA!

2009-07-28 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2288257

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-07-15 6:19 PM Ok my team, I am saving for a new bike. HALLELUJA !!!   So far I am at about $100.00....
I plan to buy new and the guy at the bike shop said he could have one for me for around $400.00. to me that is a lot of money, but worth it in the long run.
SO, I need to start figuring out what I want.  I believe I want a road bike right ? Not a tri bike ?
Also I'd like the type where you can "get low" and not sit straight up when you ride.......what is that called ?

the gals in my group took off reflectors/kick stand and anything that put weight on the bike.........

so any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I just need a lighter bike, but other than that I just know nothing about them.

you should get a road bike and you can always have aero bars added later....to make it like a tri bike....definitely do not go tri at this point....get some more races under your belt first....good luck....any ideas as to what bike you are looking at??? and remember to watch the want ads...you can get a GREAT used bike for next to nothing...GOOD LUCK! we want pics of your possible purchases???

2009-07-28 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2290760

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lufferly - 2009-07-16 8:08 PM

I'm on my way to Aspen at 6:15 am (with my DH, 22 yr old son, 11 yr old son, mother, and mother-in-law) to visit my 20 yr old daughter who I haven't seen for 5 months.  She's in Aspen all summer doing a couple of shows at Theatre Aspen and we'll get to see both shows. I'm signed up to do the 5K Race for the Cure in Aspen on Saturday morning (calling for 48 degrees!!). Hopefully, we'll get some biking, white water rafting, and hiking in. We'll be coming home late Wednesday night then back to work on Thursday.

It's been a tough week at work trying to get everything done before I go. I'm now packed and need to get one more thing done for work before I can get to bed, to get up at 3:45 am.

Hope everyone has a great weekend with whatever they have planned! I'll try to catch up sometime over the weekend with everyone.

hope your trip went well, you rocked your race, and your dd was a huge SHINING STAR in her  plays....oh and you had safe travels! sounds like she had a great core of family to be in the audience! what play or type of theater did she perform in for you all?

2009-07-28 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2294797

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-07-19 4:54 PM Ok, now I need brand names of bikes that are good, and names to stay away from ! PLEASE

good names:

trek

specialized

raleigh

dont buy:

huffy

2009-07-28 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2295657

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Offthegrid - 2009-07-20 7:26 AM I know I have no right to ask this because I have been away for so long, but I am not sure what to do here, and I am gathering as many opinions as I can ... Sorry this is long, but it is complicated. Background: 17-month marriage to abusive man... I make twice what he does. He's holed up in the house and refuses to move out. I cannot be in the house with him for fear of my safety. Only "assets" worth fighting over are a $160K house, which is $10K-$20K upside-down, and an SUV worth about $10K with a $4,000 loan on it in my name only. I am in possession of the SUV after towing it. He had hidden the keys. He originally wanted 6 more months to live in the house for free. The mediator in our case suggested 45 days, and my ex's lawyer apparently was able to convince my ex that 45 days was more reasonable. So now he wants these 45 days to live in the house for free, and has said then he will move out and sign the house over to me, leaving me to deal with the upside-down amount. In exchange for this "generosity" he wants use of the car and then wants me to pay off the car and give it to him when he moves out. I don't have $4,000 to pay off the car and would put it on a credit card. I have $20K credit limit, and have used $3,000 of that so far on legal fees. I need that credit limit to fund the amount the house is upside-down and minor repairs that will need to be done before house is sold, plus my legal fees. Lawyer says I can force him out of the house, BUT then will have to pay him temporary alimony. In my state, there is NO DEFENSE to temporary alimony (called APL). I would have to pay it until the divorce is final, and it would take at least another 3-4 months after the settlement conference next month and $4,000 in legal fees to make that happen. I think I *might* be able to squeeze by paying the temporary alimony, the mortgage and the insurance, but I would not be able to pay down my legal fees at all and may need to put groceries on a credit card during this time. If I get a second job to help fund the divorce, then that's all the more temporary alimony I'd be forced to pay. Since my ex is abusive, he is not negotiating like a "normal" person would. He fully intends to drag the divorce out as long as possible to make me "pay" for leaving him. So if I say yes to his settlement, it would cost me $4,000 to pay off the car, $10K-$20K for the house, but most likely not significantly more in legal fees. If I say no, then I would gain $6,000 from the sale of the SUV to go toward the upside-down house, but would have to pay at least $4,000 more in legal fees. I would still have to contend with the upside-down amount of the house, but I could go after half of it in court from him. I would have to pay temporary alimony of at least $4,000. Opinions?

wow Susie...sorry that loser husband of yours is still trying to take you!!!! I would worry about what he may do to the house...right before you move in...sounds like he is the type to do damage when he moves out. Is there any repercussion if he does something...like screw with the wiring...or just leave it in a total mess!?!? I would fight him with tooth and nail....I would do all I could to make sure I gave him NOTHING! with a capital N!!!! too bad he is being such an a$$ and you can not get him to be civil!

I like the idea that Nicole gave you...write things down on paper...pros/cons...and maybe this will help you to decide which direction to go...realize we are here for you and hope that you can get back to us and your training soon...we miss you and hope that you are able to get this behind you soon!!!! good luck Susie! please kit!

2009-07-28 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2296704

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Offthegrid - 2009-07-20 12:38 PM I think I've decided. Also, someone hacked into my PayPal account and attempted to steal hundreds of dollars. I'm hoping they can prove it's him so that I can press charges.

that would be fabulous! nothing better then a crooked cop going to jail! ahhhh justice!

2009-07-28 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2300628

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

NoSit - 2009-07-21 9:15 PM
maxmansmom - 2009-07-19 4:51 PM Ran 5.6 miles last night.  I have never run that far before, but 13.1 feels like forever from here. I ran my usual route twice (once one way then the ohter)..... i was alone and has no music (mp3 is withmy buddy who is in hawaii)........ soo it was kinda rough.
I did run it all though, took 1 hour 12 minutes

That's a great run, Julie! You'll be there in no time, so enjoy the ride! Congratulations. 

Hey Trish....I probably spoke directly to you at the vineman race....what time did your wave take off!? My dd was the second wave...so I was out on the course very early. I ended up spending much of my time at the curve right before the first water station...I was under a tree telling everyone...there is water right around the corner...as well as a little downhill and shade...we probably spoke to each other!!!!!???? what was your race number...and do you have any pictures?  CONGRATS ON YOUR FINISH!!!! it was super SUPER hot!!!

2009-07-28 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2300637

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

NoSit - 2009-07-21 9:26 PM So, I'm sorry I've been away. I had pre-race jitters and the best way to deal with them, for me, is to bury myself in other stuff so I don't think about it. I tend to be a bit obsessive sometimes.So, I got my first Ironman finisher's medal for the Vineman 70.3! It was a long,hot day, but the bike ride was so beautiful I enjoyed every minute of it. The volunteers & spectators kept commenting on the big grin on my face! The run, not so much! I got a lot more, "Keep it up, you're almost there!" type comments there - haha! And, I got to talk to Sister Madonna Buder! A real triathlon celebrity. She races Vineman to qualify for a Kona slot, apparently and she asked my sister and me about the swim course before the start. It was exciting in a silly, geeky sort of way.Keep up the great work everyone - I'm proud of all of us and we are definitely capable of more than we think we are on any given day!Thanks so much for all your support and I'll be back in the conversation again, promise.Trish

VERY VERY PROUD OF YOU! that was one tough race! and I for one helped a few to get to shade so they could get picked up by a race official...I saw quite a few people drop...and I felt sooo bad for them....there was also a girl who was crying on her run in....I asked her if she was ok....and she said she was cramping, her but muscle felt as though she could not go another step...I told her to stretch it out and continue..she only had a few miles to finish!...she then went on to say she thinks the reason she is most upset is that all her friends who she usually beats had all gone past her....silly girl! I then went on to tell her that she will have many opportunities to beat them....and at least she gets those....I then told her that my sister n law drown in a IM competition and that she will never get that opportunity....before long this girl was just chatting with me as I rode next to her on my bike...she had completely picked up her speed and was no longer snivelling....I then saw her in the recovery/massage tent...and she thanked me over and over....I asked her were these her friends who beat her...and she said yes...and they went on to say...she will get us next one...as she always does. It is amazing the stories I heard...the people I met and the motivation it gave me to continue to be a triathlete! I am more motivated then ever!!!! so thanks Trish!

I do want pics of you...you got any from the race?

2009-07-28 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2300726

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

dcon - 2009-07-22 3:15 AM Hi everyone. I managed to hit 500 meters non-stop today and boy did it feel great. If I can hit that groove again, I'm sure I can get to 1000 and 1500 soon. My wet suit arrived yesterday. I ordered from De Soto and it was here 6 days later. Customs did not add any tax or duties which is great. It took me a little while to get into the suit - fits really well and they say the first time is the toughest. I was able to get out of it fairly quickly. De Soto's two piece design is great. Now I need to find some open water to play in.

good for you Dan! glad that you are getting your distance up....

how exciting...hoping you have been able to play in your new wetsuit...if not...get going! we want pictures.....first of you on that new bike of yours...then you in your new wetsuit!

2009-07-28 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2306922

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-07-24 6:18 PM
NoSit - 2009-07-22 12:26 AM So, I'm sorry I've been away. I had pre-race jitters and the best way to deal with them, for me, is to bury myself in other stuff so I don't think about it. I tend to be a bit obsessive sometimes.So, I got my first Ironman finisher's medal for the Vineman 70.3! It was a long,hot day, but the bike ride was so beautiful I enjoyed every minute of it. The volunteers & spectators kept commenting on the big grin on my face! The run, not so much! I got a lot more, "Keep it up, you're almost there!" type comments there - haha! And, I got to talk to Sister Madonna Buder! A real triathlon celebrity. She races Vineman to qualify for a Kona slot, apparently and she asked my sister and me about the swim course before the start. It was exciting in a silly, geeky sort of way.Keep up the great work everyone - I'm proud of all of us and we are definitely capable of more than we think we are on any given day!Thanks so much for all your support and I'll be back in the conversation again, promise.Trish

Wow ! Just wow, and I am so impressed ! I have heard of the little nun who races Kona...... great you got to see her !

I saw her out there....bless her heart...she was just beginning the run when my daughter was heading in....WAS SOOOOOOOOOO HOT! my heart went out to her! she was running and looked great....! hoping she made the cut off time!

2009-07-28 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2308944

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

kew - 2009-07-26 4:43 PM

Hi everyone!

Sorry I have been away, but I have some good news.  After a couple of really crazy weeks, the house has sold and I found/bought a townhouse!  Will be moving near the end of September. 

I haven't had a chance to catch up yet.  I hope everyone is doing well.  Julie...I love your new avatar .

I will try to read through the postings in the next day or two. 

Take care...K

YAY...for the house selling! we look forward to pics of your new home! CONGRATS!

2009-07-28 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

OK all caught up...sorry for the deluge in messages...but I wanted to check up on my favorite BTers! sorry for my absence...but I am BAAACK! and with a vengence! hope that you are all doing well...

any races coming up for any of you?

2009-07-28 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2312997

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-07-29 3:05 AM

OK all caught up...sorry for the deluge in messages...but I wanted to check up on my favorite BTers! sorry for my absence...but I am BAAACK! and with a vengence! hope that you are all doing well...

any races coming up for any of you?

Welcome back Julie!! In case you didn't notice, it is kind of quiet in here without you.
2009-07-28 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Just a quick update from me...

- on Monday I did 1500 meters non-stop in the pool. That was a huge breakthrough for me

- on Monday I sent in my registration for an Oly distance tri on Aug 23

- on Tuesday I tried my first open water swim in my new wet suit. That was a huge setback for me...

I could not believe how buoyant the wet suit made me. I found my stroke did not work the way it did in the pool and I kind of struggled trying out various things for about 30 minutes. I've done some thinking since then and realize I have to go back in, relax and change my stroke to take advantage of the fact that I am now almost completely flat on the surface of the water. With a little patience, I'm expecting to figure out how to go faster with less effort -- that is what the wet suit is supposed to do.

Any tips greatly appreciated.
2009-07-28 9:02 PM

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
hey guys! again i'm getting on here to apologize for being so absent! i really really tried to come back, and not just pick up the workouts, but be more present on the thread, i think you guys are so amazing and awesome! here's the update on my crazy life--i told some of you guys what was going on before, my dh was cheating on me, and it messed me up, a LOT. we're staying to gether, and we're working it out, things are maybe improving, then a few weeks ago i found out i'm freakin' pregnant. oh yeah, it's just keeps getting better. LOL i would LOVE to still be running and cycling, and swimming (especially today, it's so HOT!!) but the nausea (and exhaustion)  has me by the throat just now, and most days it's all i can do to be upright. it sounds terrible at THIS moment, but the nausea should only last another month or so, then i'm going to start slow (and start OVER AGAIN) and hopefully be able to keep some level of fitness up for the duration. sadly, i think my racing season is over (i havent gotten to race at all this year except that 10K back in feb) but there's always next year.

i'm still going to get on here and check up on you guys regularly, and i feel bad i haven't been on here more, i've missed you guys, and even if it sounds hollow, i actually DO tink of you guys every single day.
it's not the end of me (it took me a while to get to that point LOL) it's just the pause button.
run-bike-swim-RACE!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168