Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2008-12-19 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)

NAME: Hello my name is Julee
STORY: I am a RETIRED five year mountain bike racer, and after an unexpected and sudden death of a triathlete family member in November 2007, I was inspired by the many triathletes at the funeral...vowed to do a tri at her funeral with cigarette in hand...quit smoking, and have presently lost almost 50 lbs and have a number triathlons under my belt....I love to bike and run BUT I have never had much faith in my swimming abilities...But I hate to admit this in a forum...but I have found myself liking the swim portion of my training!?! and actually excelling in my speed and techniques thanks to my masters team. I am an Event Planner that works March thru November and so, I will have lots of time to spend with my group in my off time of December thru March...and will do what I can to keep my team on track and inspired! I came to this community because this was the site my sister n law used to log her work outs on and after lurking on BT for almost two months...I jumped in and have now competed in triathlons, running races and mountain bike /biathlon races this past year...I have a brother and sister who are triathletes, an older brother who is an ironman; a daughter who is very involved in the triathlete community and is signed up for her first IM next year...I hope that I can only be as inspiring to each of you - as my BT mentors group was for me...I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!!

I feel I have gained so much information and I want to share it with those who are looking for help in any and all areas. I by all means do not even begin to think I am an expert in any or all aspects to this sport, but between all of our team members, we will be able to work our ways thru in and all obstacles and hopefully answer any questions you may have....I welcome all new and veteran triathletes. I will be closing the group after around 15 or so teammates (we have room for only a few more...so quit lurking and GO FOR IT!!!....thanks for your time...and please pm me if you are hesitant for any reason or if you have any questions you may be embarrassed to ask in a forum.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with a daughter who works for an online registration company that most of you use for signing up for triathlons and is located in Southern California...we both did our first triathlon in the bay of San Diego...and she is signed up for the IMAZ in Nov!

I have an amazing husband of 28 years come New Years Day... would love to do triathlons but is unable to run due to a hip restriction...but is very supportive of me and my training. He is my bike mechanic, my coach, my biggest and best supporter/cheerleader, too! Im a lucky gal!

CURRENT TRAINING: I run, bike and swim at least 5 days each week during training time...I have taken the past few months off to travel and be with family. I am training with a local group for half marathon, I am a member of a masters swim team and part of a triathlon training team out of Menlo Park.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: San Diego Sprint Tri, Morgan Hill Triathlon, Stanford Treeathlon, Vineman, Bay to Breakers, Peninsula Century, San Jose Rock n Roll Half Marathon, Pleasanton Tri, Marin Tri, Jingle Bell Run...and IMAZ support.

2009 RACES:  I am looking to compete in various triathlons...not signed up for any yet, but look to do many Olys, HM and possibly a Marathon at the end of this year - will be going as support to IM Cozumel...

WEIGHTLOSS: I have presently lost 45 lbs in the one year I have been doing these races and my weight continues to drop off.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I feel that I will be a good mentor, because I used to teach and love to help others. It is important to know that you do not have to be in tip-top shape to compete in triathlons...it helps but is not imperative. I welcome all levels of triathletes...from entry level athletes to the more seasoned triathletes - from all distances (sprint to ironman) competitors. As a group we will focus on training, how to prevent injuries, nutrition and hydration for various races, and how to create your own training plans based on your abilities and experiences. thanks and have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Edited by Girl Passing on Left 2008-12-24 5:23 PM

2008-12-20 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1863539

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
Subject: RE: GIRL PASSING ON LEFT MENTOR GROUP (OPEN)
Sign me up!

2008-12-20 1:43 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
you are sooooooooo in!! thanks and see you next week!
2008-12-20 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

Woo hoo, I just got my email okee dokee........ so I can play too ! 

My name is Julie, I'm a 40 year old mom of one little girl (she's 4).  I had her in swim lessons and realized I could not swim . So about 10 weeks ago I started going to the pool and talking with lifeguards to learn how to swim properly.  I've spent so many HOURS in the pool learning ! Now swimming is not hard for me ! Woo hoo

Then during that time was invited to our YMCA's first indoor tri on March 7th 2009. So i've never done a tri, just preparing for one.

So I had to learn to run/jog, just did a 5k today ....I'm so tired ! lol

Biking is really my weakness now, I've not been on it very much at all and since I am in Indiana and it's cold I've not been on it at all.  I do bike at the YMCA though.

So anyway, I'm a real newbie and I'm greatful to be included in this group ! Thank you

2008-12-20 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Pick me, pick me!   I think it would be so inspiring to be in your mentoring group!
2008-12-20 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Welcome Julie...first of all you must be an amazing gal...with such a great name! I am honored that you picked my mentors group...with all there are out there! I promise to do all I can to get you completely prepared mentally and physically for that first tri you attempt! do you have any in mind? if not, we can help you to find a few in your area...

Rumor has it that there will be another gal from Indiana joining our team...I know you will love her just as much as I do...she was on my mentors group last year. 

Glad to have you on the team....hope you will set up your training page so that we can inspire you....if you need any help please let me know... I will be happy to help....you may want to pm me if you want an immediate response.

I will eventually be making up a box that we can dump into our training log that will link us directly to each and every team member who joins this group...makes it much easier then going to our friends column....

Once again welcome...I look forward to getting to know you better and for us to both keep each other on tract...you can help me with my swimming and I will help you with biking. Have a great weekend!

2008-12-20 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1864936

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Sledge - 2008-12-20 1:12 PM Pick me, pick me!   I think it would be so inspiring to be in your mentoring group!

are you kidding? inspiring is your middle name! I am sooooooo thrilled and honored to have you on this team! Even though I feel I know you as well as my blood sister...you are going to have to introduce yourself for all the others to see what a tri-rockstar you are!

as for todays training for the group:

haha....realize this is just for this Saturday...we will be much more serious next Saturday!

2008-12-20 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1864952

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-12-20 3:27 PM

are you kidding? inspiring is your middle name! I am sooooooo thrilled and honored to have you on this team! Even though I feel I know you as well as my blood sister...you are going to have to introduce yourself for all the others to see what a tri-rockstar you are!

Tri-rockstar???  YGTBSM!!!  But I can introduce myself, so here goes:

I'm Cheri, 51 years young, live in Florida with my DH of nearly 25 years.  We have no children, which theoretically should give me lots of training time.  Also, he's an airline pilot so he is gone for days at a time, so that too should give me more training time.  But then there's this little thing called a job... I'm an engineer under contract to the Air Force, have a group of "professionals" that I am responsible for (even though some act like children), and consequently my job keeps me busy.  Then there's the travel piece -- get the picture?  Training time is very precious to me, and I get up at o'dark thirty nearly every morning to run.

I've been running for years, but about 4 years ago I had a bad car accident that really put life into perspective.  I decided to really dedicate myself to running and racing, but then I started training for my first half marathon on these old knees and decided that I needed to do some cross training.  I started to bike and fell in love with it!  I was getting ready for my first triathlon about 2 1/2 years ago when I fell while running and broke my collarbone.  So that put off the first tri for a year (and I had to do it with a plate in my shoulder, so breaststroke was all I could swim).  But I'm hooked, and my "A" race for 2009 is the Gulf Coast Half Ironman on May 9th.

I can definitely use the inspiration from this group to help me prepare for the HIM.  I have to admit it -- I'm scared!  I know about Julee's (I've been spelling your name wrong this whole year!) family member who passed away, plus I was standing on the beach last year at the GC HIM when they pulled another swimmer out of the same water (and he died too).  But realistically, there are so many more swimmers who finish without problems, and I have raced in the gulf before and after that, so I'm planning to do it. 

There is a lot of inspiration and knowledge we can gain from this forum, so let's share what we know and kick some butt!

2008-12-20 4:43 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

You actually were spelling it right before...either way is fine...it is the "B" word that I will not respond to! haha this is going to be a great year....I look forward to you joining us! I have been contacted by a few others that should be joining us soon! YAY....we are on our way to having the best...(shhhhhh dont tell the other teams) around!

2008-12-21 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1864922

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
maxmansmom - 2008-12-20 1:02 PM

Woo hoo, I just got my email okee dokee........ so I can play too ! 

My name is Julie, I'm a 40 year old mom of one little girl (she's 4).  I had her in swim lessons and realized I could not swim . So about 10 weeks ago I started going to the pool and talking with lifeguards to learn how to swim properly.  I've spent so many HOURS in the pool learning ! Now swimming is not hard for me ! Woo hoo

Then during that time was invited to our YMCA's first indoor tri on March 7th 2009. So i've never done a tri, just preparing for one.

So I had to learn to run/jog, just did a 5k today ....I'm so tired ! lol

Biking is really my weakness now, I've not been on it very much at all and since I am in Indiana and it's cold I've not been on it at all.  I do bike at the YMCA though.

So anyway, I'm a real newbie and I'm greatful to be included in this group ! Thank you

Hi Julie...saw your site....you are doing great....let me know if you need more help getting set up!

hope you are ready for the ride of your life! have a great weekend!

2008-12-21 10:07 PM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: GPOL group for newbies to the seasoned triathletes (OPEN)

Wooooo... this group looks like a hoot!  Can I join in the fun?

Me:  jireland5666, real name is Jennifer

Story: I'm 38 years old and have been working out for only 2+ years.  Started working out to get rid of the baby weight.  My twin boys will be 3 in January.  I started working out when they were 6 months old. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and I also have a personal trainer that I meet with 2x a week.  A girl at my gym was talking about training for a sprint tri last year, but 2 weeks before the event, she broke 3 toes.  It sounded interesting, so I started doing some research and got SUPER motivated!  I thought to myself "I can do this!"  So now I've registered for my first sprint tri on June 5th 2009!  All I want to do is cross the finish line, even if it's in last place.

I've lost 11 lbs in the past 12 weeks, and 13.75 inches, thanks to my trainer and a good diet.  I'm at 145 right now, and I'm hoping to lose another 10 lbs before the race.  I'm working on my endurance by hitting the treadmill a few times a week.  I also have a bike trainer in my exercise room and I've been hitting that when I can't get into a spin class at the gym.  They have a daycare room at my gym which helps, but we don't have a pool at the gym, so I haven't been able to get in the pool yet.  I might

Family: Married 10 years and have 3 year old twin boys. We live in Atlanta, GA.  I'm a stay at home mom... but do a party business on weekend nights. 

I'm probably the super-newbiest in the group, but I need the motivation from a group setting.  I have to get my training log set up. I'll figure that out shortly.

Here's to us!

2008-12-21 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
I'm so in on this one!!
2008-12-21 10:58 PM
in reply to: #1866595

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
jireland5666 - 2008-12-21 8:07 PM

Wooooo... this group looks like a hoot!  Can I join in the fun?

Me:  jireland5666, real name is Jennifer

Story: I'm 38 years old and have been working out for only 2+ years.  Started working out to get rid of the baby weight.  My twin boys will be 3 in January.  I started working out when they were 6 months old. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and I also have a personal trainer that I meet with 2x a week.  A girl at my gym was talking about training for a sprint tri last year, but 2 weeks before the event, she broke 3 toes.  It sounded interesting, so I started doing some research and got SUPER motivated!  I thought to myself "I can do this!"  So now I've registered for my first sprint tri on June 5th 2009!  All I want to do is cross the finish line, even if it's in last place.

I've lost 11 lbs in the past 12 weeks, and 13.75 inches, thanks to my trainer and a good diet.  I'm at 145 right now, and I'm hoping to lose another 10 lbs before the race.  I'm working on my endurance by hitting the treadmill a few times a week.  I also have a bike trainer in my exercise room and I've been hitting that when I can't get into a spin class at the gym.  They have a daycare room at my gym which helps, but we don't have a pool at the gym, so I haven't been able to get in the pool yet.  I might

Family: Married 10 years and have 3 year old twin boys. We live in Atlanta, GA.  I'm a stay at home mom... but do a party business on weekend nights. 

I'm probably the super-newbiest in the group, but I need the motivation from a group setting.  I have to get my training log set up. I'll figure that out shortly.

Here's to us!

Welcome Jennifer...we would love to have you join us! First of all let me congratulate you on your weight loss...that is fabulous! you must be very proud of yourself. You have come to the right site for help in training for triathlons...BT is a wealth of information right at your fingertips...you are sooo going to rock that first triathlon come next May...we will see to that! and always remember that someone has to finish last...and if it is you...oh well...at least you did it!

Congrats on the weight loss...that is amazing! 1 pound a week and over 13" SUPERB JOB!!! dreadmill is good...spinning class is fabulous training...and I dont even have a trainer...so go get em girl! you do need to start swimming somewhere...that way you will be comfortable in the water on race day...the more laps you swim the better...there are usually pools at Universities that can be used by the public...let me know if you need me to help you find one....I have a few triathlete friends in your area and I am sure they know of some....

Once again welcome...make sure to log your workouts...as we will all be watching each other....once we close the team I will ask each of you to give me your strengths....weaknesses...and what it is that you find inspiring. Let me know if you have questions on how to set up your log...the easiest way for me to explain is to go to your log...there is a control panel on the left top side right below the beginner triathlet logo...click on that and then click on edit your training settings...go to goals...and start typing away....make sure to add me as a friend...as well as the others on our team...I will eventually make a box with links to each of our teammates so we can easily inspire each other....this you will be able to copy and paste into your goals area....hope this all made sense...if you have any questions feel free to ask...so you no...no questions are silly questions...do not be embarrassed to ask! WELCOME AND Have fun....we would love for you to join in on the fun!!!!

2008-12-21 11:06 PM
in reply to: #1866604

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

naners - 2008-12-21 8:14 PM I'm so in on this one!!

yo spartacus...glad to hear from you!...glad you chose us...we are honored! even though I know you and know you well...make sure to introduce yourself to the other teammates.

We are going to have some great fun training these next few months...then when we get to where we feel we need to be...we can we all come and hang out with you in Hawaii??? right???? I keep threatening to come your way! I did not make it to Hawaii this past year...so next year, you will more then likely be seeing me! ARENT YOU EXCITED!?  you bet you are!

2008-12-22 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ME, ME , ME.....JULES I have to be with you....yeah!!!

It's Amy from Indiana, and I see you have another IN girl....woooo hooooo yeah.

I'm Amy...and I'm a triholic... I have been in the tri cult for two years, and let me tell you I finally found myself when I entered the underground world of triathlons. You can be any age, any size, any fitness level...and you can make wonderful friends across the map.

Family: Married to John (my best friend) kids 6, two of my own and 4 of Johns.

Races: I have done various sprint Tri's, 1 Olympic, 5ks, 8ks, and 1 mini marathon.
Strength: My mind, and bike.
Weakness: running and swimming, you don't have to be fast, just finish.

I love Julie, and this will be an inspirational group!!!!

So girl am I in????? Am I in??????????????? Please, please!!!!

Love from Indiana
Amy
2008-12-22 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Julee and Co. - I'd love to join your group, if you'll have me. I've entered my first HIM and will need the support! I also come from a competitive swimming background, so maybe I can help inspire folks in the swim department.

I'm 46 and live in Davis, CA with my little family - husband, 14 yo son, 2 middle age dogs and 1 youngish cat.

I started training almost 3 years ago to support my sister in her goal to lose weight. I decided I'd rather be in the mix with her than sitting and watching (hence, my screen-name). Every time I see my sister, now, I'm inspired to keep training because she looks so good. My issue with weight is keeping it on, rather than off, and I hope I'm looking healthier and stronger than I did when I started.

Unfortunately, 2008 was a bit disappointing for me. The fires in CA kept me from training much during June and July, so I feel I didn't make much progress. Then, I passed out in my bathroom in early September and broke a rib, which kept me from moving much for a few weeks. In spite of all that, my sister and I have entered the Vineman 70.3, so I'll have to find some inspiration to get back on the horse and ride! I'm planning to finish the ShamRock'n Half Marathon for the second time this March and will likely find some other road races and century rides to round out my training. I'm on a light training schedule right now because my doctor and I are trying to work out why I passed out.

So, that's my short story. Looking forward to spending some quality time with you all!
Trish

2008-12-22 9:54 AM

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow

JULIE!!!
i wanna be on your mentor team!! i have to read the whole page, i just sent you a pm though. i havne't been on this site for a couple weeks because i was pouting about the snow. i can't run and i can't swim, and i can't ride. it's sending me to the dark place. BUT i need to get my head outta my arse, and get back on here!! 

2008-12-22 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1867104

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

amy mutz - 2008-12-22 7:21 AM ME, ME , ME.....JULES I have to be with you....yeah!!! It's Amy from Indiana, and I see you have another IN girl....woooo hooooo yeah. I'm Amy...and I'm a triholic... I have been in the tri cult for two years, and let me tell you I finally found myself when I entered the underground world of triathlons. You can be any age, any size, any fitness level...and you can make wonderful friends across the map. Age:47 Family: Married to John (my best friend) kids 6, two of my own and 4 of Johns. Races: I have done various sprint Tri's, 1 Olympic, 5ks, 8ks, and 1 mini marathon. Strength: My mind, and bike. Weakness: running and swimming, you don't have to be fast, just finish. I love Julie, and this will be an inspirational group!!!! So girl am I in????? Am I in??????????????? Please, please!!!! Love from Indiana Amy

are you kidding me...you are soooooooo in....looks like we have two Amys and two Julies in this group...VERY INTERESTING! I am thrilled and honored to have you join us! by the way...love the new avatar! this is going to be a great 2009...I can tell already!

2008-12-22 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1867191

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

NoSit - 2008-12-22 7:46 AM Julee and Co. - I'd love to join your group, if you'll have me. I've entered my first HIM and will need the support! I also come from a competitive swimming background, so maybe I can help inspire folks in the swim department. Real name: Trish I'm 46 and live in Davis, CA with my little family - husband, 14 yo son, 2 middle age dogs and 1 youngish cat. I started training almost 3 years ago to support my sister in her goal to lose weight. I decided I'd rather be in the mix with her than sitting and watching (hence, my screen-name). Every time I see my sister, now, I'm inspired to keep training because she looks so good. My issue with weight is keeping it on, rather than off, and I hope I'm looking healthier and stronger than I did when I started. Unfortunately, 2008 was a bit disappointing for me. The fires in CA kept me from training much during June and July, so I feel I didn't make much progress. Then, I passed out in my bathroom in early September and broke a rib, which kept me from moving much for a few weeks. In spite of all that, my sister and I have entered the Vineman 70.3, so I'll have to find some inspiration to get back on the horse and ride! I'm planning to finish the ShamRock'n Half Marathon for the second time this March and will likely find some other road races and century rides to round out my training. I'm on a light training schedule right now because my doctor and I are trying to work out why I passed out. So, that's my short story. Looking forward to spending some quality time with you all! Trish

Welcome Trish...I look forward to absorbing all the swim info you have for me! I on the other hand will do all I can (even if it means me driving the hour and a half to Davis) to get you to be the queen of biking...plus, there are a few centuries/half centuries in our area that we can do together.

Good luck with the medical issues....are they running tests? please keep us posted!

2008-12-22 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1867228

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
lyssa-gator - 2008-12-22 7:54 AM

JULIE!!!
i wanna be on your mentor team!! i have to read the whole page, i just sent you a pm though. i havne't been on this site for a couple weeks because i was pouting about the snow. i can't run and i can't swim, and i can't ride. it's sending me to the dark place. BUT i need to get my head outta my arse, and get back on here!! 

WELCOME Lyssa...of course you can not swim now...the only water sport you can do is ice fish near your home! what I want to know is what is all this pouting stuff - no pouting allowed girl...remember you are my tough chick!!!!...and dont tell me you are not running....cuz you have a two year old! lord knows you need to keep your running shoes on to chase him! and I thought you had a trainer drainer!? time to get on and drain train! if you do not...we are going to have to get you one! what is the challenge this month...running, biking or swimming? we need to get you back on track and show those other challenge teams and teammates of yours just what my lyssa-gator is all about! she is not a pouter...but a go-getter and a doer! so you my gal...it is time to get those six shooters out...or that wonderful pace booty of a husband and go for a run...even if it is in circles around your house...go girl go! no more dark days for you! time to get the sunshine back in your days!

2008-12-22 2:10 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

I will be making a box to place in our goals area of our training logs with all the names of our teammates...this is so we will have easy access to keep an eye on each other and to inspire hopefully on a daily basis. I wanted to ask the team how many people we would like to have? I personally say the more the merrier...but want to make sure we do not get overwhelmed with too many...so, how many is too many?

also, we need to be thinking about what our strengths are and weaknesses may be...this will let us know what areas you feel you are in need of....so, time for you all to start chatting here....do not be shy! I am hoping that we will be like my last years mentors group who continued on all the way thru late September or October...so, lets go team...time to get started....

I will go first:

My strengths are definitely in biking...which is my TRUE love of this sport.

My weakness is swimming...I swim outdoors and the winters even though they are fairly mild considered to many of you ...it is sometimes very hard to motivate to crawl out of my warm bed to go out and get in a pool! I ended up going to the noon masters class, but want to get used to the morning swims...so, you will all have to help me to GET UP and GET IN THAT POOL!

I love to inspire...so get ready!I have tons of cartoons that I will be sending to each of you! I love to be inspired sooooo hoping you are ones who will do so!?!!! hoping that we have a chatty team...this is what will keep me coming back...so team time to chat and time to start that training we all came here to do!

who's next?

2008-12-22 2:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-12-22 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1867922

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Kurls26 - 2008-12-22 12:32 PM

HELP!

My name is Monica. I am 23 years young : ) . I live in Boston. I am a full time nanny.  I am determined to compete in my first Triathlon. I am seeking a supportive, knowlegeable, and fun mentor as well as motivated and inspiring team members!

I have an athletic history.  Grew up playing most sports.  Played Soccer and ran track throughout high school. Then I went to college, discovered late night take out and margaritas, put on the lbs, fell of that wagon, and am dying to get back on!  I have always wanted to compete in an triathlon, and frankly don't know why I haven't.  I guess I fall back onto that weak excuse of "I don't have enough time to train".  I do.  I only work 45 hours a week, have just been getting back to the gym, which only takes an hour out of my life, and am beginining to realize I do have time to train. 

The whole idea of attempting a Triathalon alone is very daunting.  I have done a lot of research about training and workouts and whatnot, but I need an insiders advice.  I want to know what other athletes are going through and what they are finding difficult or easy.  The thought of purchasing all the gear by myself makes me want to run aways screaming like a little girl!

My goal: To become as informed as I possibly can about Triathlons.  To sign up for a triathlon, finish it and become addicted!

WELCOME MONICA! we are honored you chose us! We do look to have a fun team and between us all we should be able to help you in all the areas needed to become that triathlete you so desire to be! You have made the biggest step by joining in...the rest you will see is a given and before long you will be crossing that finish line and we hope with the same beautiful smile you have in your picture! Being athletic is to your advantage and if you ran track you should do fine with the run portion. Do you have a bike? and are you swimming at all? I would like for you to try and do at least 4 days a week of 30 minute work outs...that is only 2 hours a week...TO START! we will up it as you get more comfortable... if you have a spin class at you gym this is a great way to train for the bike portion and I can not emphasize enough about the importance of joining a masters swim team...I thought I was a great swimmer...had been on swim teams and was doing laps on my own...I swam for almost 6 months before I felt I was ready to join the team..and I truly thought I would be able to keep up...WRONG...my technique sucked and I was doing everything wrong...so, if I could do everything over I would have joined a masters team from day one!! with that said, I do not want to overwhelm you but want you to know that I am already rooting you towards that finish! What I need you to do is to make sure to set up and log all your workouts in your training log and to chime in with any concerns or questions you may have...between myself and the others we will get you  your answers!

I promise that it may be daunting now, but you are soooooooo on the right track! Make sure to ask any and all questions...that is what we are here for! and let me be the first to say...there are "NO" dumb questions....believe you me! if there are...I have asked them all!

I hope I have not overwhelmed you....I know you will love this site! if you have any questions...let me know. I can help you set up your training log if you need it....

2008-12-22 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1867648

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-12-22 10:40 AM
lyssa-gator - 2008-12-22 7:54 AM

JULIE!!!

WELCOME Lyssa...of course you can not swim now...the only water sport you can do is ice fish near your home! what I want to know is what is all this pouting stuff - no pouting allowed girl...remember you are my tough chick!!!!...and dont tell me you are not running....cuz you have a two year old! lord knows you need to keep your running shoes on to chase him! and I thought you had a trainer drainer!? time to get on and drain train! if you do not...we are going to have to get you one! what is the challenge this month...running, biking or swimming? we need to get you back on track and show those other challenge teams and teammates of yours just what my lyssa-gator is all about! she is not a pouter...but a go-getter and a doer! so you my gal...it is time to get those six shooters out...or that wonderful pace booty of a husband and go for a run...even if it is in circles around your house...go girl go! no more dark days for you! time to get the sunshine back in your days!

THIS IS WHY EVERYONE LOVES JULIE!! i will say that although i haven't been running/biking/swimming, that i HAVE been staying somewhat active. like you said julie, i DO have a two year old (and a 4 year old, and an 8 year old LOL) i am trying for my first marathon, the seattle rock n roll at the end of june. i was getting sort of panicky about the training, the plan that i have is a 24 (?) week plan, and day one is a 7 mile run with 10X100meters. i think the longest i've run, EVER is somewhere between 5 and 6 miles. and that was a while ago, so i spent some time building up again, and was up to around 5 miles (this is a comfortable-push distance for me) when the freakin snow dumped on me. no kidding, it's more than knee deep, and they haven't really been plowing! it's psychotic! so now of course i'm worrying about distance, losing fitness, endurance again, and having to start over. on friday it will have been two weeks since my last run. i'm thinking about joining a 24 hour fitness that's not terribly far from my house (like 40 minutes driving. LOL) but they have no pool there. ah well can't have it all.

2008-12-22 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1866732

Expert
Hawaii
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-12-21 6:06 PM

naners - 2008-12-21 8:14 PM I'm so in on this one!!

yo spartacus...glad to hear from you!...glad you chose us...we are honored! even though I know you and know you well...make sure to introduce yourself to the other teammates.

We are going to have some great fun training these next few months...then when we get to where we feel we need to be...we can we all come and hang out with you in Hawaii??? right???? I keep threatening to come your way! I did not make it to Hawaii this past year...so next year, you will more then likely be seeing me! ARENT YOU EXCITED!?  you bet you are!

<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Everyone promises to come to Hawaii, and no one ever shows up. 

Hi all!  My name is Nalani.  I’m from Hawaii.  I’m not married (but am getting married in June), have no kids, and no pets (but that will also change shortly after I get married J).  This is my third year doing triathlons.  I swam when I was in elementary and intermediate school, but then went on to much less athletic pastimes throughout high school and undergraduate school.  In grad. school I started playing soccer, and took a triathlon class.  Soon after the class, I was addicted to the sport.

Next year, I plan on doing a marathon, a couple of sprint tris, an Olympic distance, and a HIM  Other than that, I’ll likely just do things as they come my way.

Being in Hawaii, I really have no reason not to train year round.  That being said, I haven’t been on my bike since September.  So, biking is definitely a weakness.  So is running, but I’m really learning to love it.  I also need help with the whole injury prevention and nutrition thing. 

Strengths: I’m generally pretty positive about everything.  I’m rarely negative about training.  If someone notices that I’m being negative about something, will they kindly throw something at me? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168