BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 172

2011-09-12 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3681837

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED

ELLEN -

Nope! I hadn't left for Hburg at all. I tried to time it so I could take my bike and stuff back to the car and then head back to the finish area to fine you....but no Ellen. I wandered for quite some time, back and forth and all around, and then just settled in for the awards ceremony. That was actually close to starting on time, maybe about 15-20 minutes late, and I was goping back to the car to leave at about noon. But, as promised, they didn't open up the lots until the last runner had gone through, so I wasn't meandering away until close to 1; I wouldn't park there again.

I wasn't in any real hurry to get back to Hburg, knowing that Lynn wouldn't be there until at least three, and probably later. And later it turned out to be, about 5:30. I can usually loiter in bookstores forever, but by the time she showed up I was getting antsy -- and hungry!

Speaking of which, did you had the Mexican chicken/rice plate? Mercy, that was superb! I got there early enough so that not only wasn't there a line, but they were completely willing to make me one without cheese. I spent a long while being famished, as well as overheated, it seemed.

Overall, I thought the event was superb. Lots of props to them for the mostly seamless re-arranging of the structure of the thing, but also for how on-course support was handled, as well as post-race aspects, too. I will sort these through later and likely write the RD.

I am thrilled with my performance, despite the shortcomings concerning nutrition. I just have to get back to being more diligent, is all. Sometimes I think I am too dumb and vane on the bike, but I really did it just about letter-perfect yesterday. It took an effort to do the final 8km or so at a reduced pace, and it probably cost me a couple of minutes -- but that was made up for by the best oly run I have ever had. I was remarkably fresh starting out, and got into a comfortable groove immediately; that seldom happens in an oly run. I even had the inner whatever to do a bunch of spurts around miles 3 and 4, and I reckon they gave me about 40 seconds of fasterness.

So, I need to remember that formula, as this was a case where I maybe lost two minutes on the bike due to finishing conservatively, but gained back 2-3 on the run. I mean, it's all sort of speculative, but that's my sense of it.

We got back about 2 hours ago, and Lynn is clamoring for the machine. The nerve. Again (and not for the last time!), many, many thanks for your incredible generosity on Friday. The race wads greta -- but Friday evening/Saturday morning was the highlight!

2011-09-12 11:03 PM
in reply to: #3679219

User image

Champion

JEFF -

That new wheel sounds fairly sexy, although I can see why you mourn the passing of the self-built one. Would mounting it on a prominent wall help any?

Sorry, too, about the matters that have your mind and body elsewhere, and especially sorry about the 'boys. As a Jets-hater, I sure hoped they would take out those big-mouth jackasses, and when I went to bed fairly early in the game, it was looking good. Then came this morning, and the bad news in the sprots section. Dadgummit!

Well, at least feel happy for Ellen and me, both pleased that Washington beat (up on) the Giants. And I am thrilled with the Pats tonight -- at least their offense; defense was slack. And let's see -- 49ers and Lions and Ravens alos winning was good, but Chiefs and Browns losing was oh-so-bad. So, in part anyhow i feel your pain!

Aside from life's little curveballs, are you getting suitabaly psyched for Branson? Six days away, is all. Cool beans!!!

2011-09-13 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3683635

User image

Master
Denison Texas

stevebradley - 2011-09-12 11:03 PM JEFF - That new wheel sounds fairly sexy, although I can see why you mourn the passing of the self-built one. Would mounting it on a prominent wall help any? Sorry, too, about the matters that have your mind and body elsewhere, and especially sorry about the 'boys. As a Jets-hater, I sure hoped they would take out those big-mouth jackasses, and when I went to bed fairly early in the game, it was looking good. Then came this morning, and the bad news in the sprots section. Dadgummit! Well, at least feel happy for Ellen and me, both pleased that Washington beat (up on) the Giants. And I am thrilled with the Pats tonight -- at least their offense; defense was slack. And let's see -- 49ers and Lions and Ravens alos winning was good, but Chiefs and Browns losing was oh-so-bad. So, in part anyhow i feel your pain! Aside from life's little curveballs, are you getting suitabaly psyched for Branson? Six days away, is all. Cool beans!!!

The Cowboys have a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the final moments of a game. It is generally always good when the Redskins lose, but the Giants will need to lose as well for the universe to right its-self.

The wheel will become my trainer wheel with an old tire and my old racing cogset, I still have the self built front wheel but it's days are numbered too.

I am ready to go to Branson, excited to race yes, but also ready to have this behind me! There is nothing left in terms of training to do except some light activity. I did my last long run for this event Sunday AM, 2 -7.05 mile laps and felt pretty good up to the 12 mile point. I had begun to bonk a bit having skipped my nutrition toward the end. Had a pleasant 65 mile ride on Saturday but didn't brick. I did experience some cramps in my left thigh toward the end of that, around 60 miles but worked it out. I did skip my final long swim, I fell off swimming over the last week and a half for some reason. My longest was 3500 and my longest non stop pool swim was 1000. Probably around 1500-2000 in the lake before the "blue green algae monster" closed that option. I have been pouring over results and my own logs trying to make some sort of guess about my finishing time and I simply don't know-looking 6 to 6.5, probably closer to 7.

2011-09-13 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3681837

User image

Veteran
New York
Zam92 - 2011-09-12 7:06 AM

Gang. It was wonderful to actually meet our mentor.  I think we are very lucky to be in a group with a mentor who has thought so much about triathlon and is so willing to share what he knows.

Later.
Ellen

I second that sentiment!

2011-09-13 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3684273

User image

Champion

ELLEN and ALEX -

Thanks for the very kind words. I'm just trying to make myself useful and justify my existence; glad it's working, on some level anyhow!

2011-09-13 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3684267

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Uh, welcome to the world of the Big Race Taper! It can make one crazy, but your assumoption is 100% correct -- the training is behind you. From now until race day, it's jsut about staying loose and feeling as "crisp" as possible. Just cruise on up to Branson, baby!

Definitely don't fret about the swimming dropping off. Remember, Sunday is "just" 2000m, so you've been over it at least once, and that hugely. You know the bikes are well over the 56 miles, and you've done enough long runs to put you in great stead for the 13.1 miles of Branson. You're armed, and dangerous, and ready to rumble. ROOOAAARRRR!!!

2011-09-13 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3256772

Steve,

I had to wait until the last runner past but I went to the Washington Monument and just watched folks.  Once I got to my car I was not inclined to walk back to the race end place.  I was sorry I missed you though. 

I signed up for Columbia today.  Since it is in my backyard I really should do it.  Besides maybe one of these years I will train and that might make a difference in how I feel as the race gets closer.  I know there are a lot of opportunities to ride the course and that would make it easier to navigate.  I am always so  surprised by the hills.  Like , who thought this was a good bike course.  They should have consulted me.  I'd find some flat places to ride.

Jeff, all eyes on you.  Make us proud.  You'll do great. Any one who can build a bike wheel has my respect.  I don't even know how you get started. Me, I go to a bike shop, but now that seems too easy. 

Ellen

2011-09-14 4:52 PM

Steve,

Nation's Tri sent out an email to day saying that if you , as a veteran, sign up before December 1 you get a $25 discount. You probably already know that.

The DC Tri is June 17th, I think.  That is a week after Eagleman.  You can do both. 

Ellen

2011-09-14 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3685188

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Zam92 - 2011-09-13 7:52 PMAny one who can build a bike wheel has my respect.  I don't even know how you get started. Me, I go to a bike shop, but now that seems too easy. 

Ellen

Not has hard has you maybe thinking. I was inspired by a Bicycling Mag article, which I have saved in a box somewhere that broke it down in easy steps. The bike shops will help you match spokes/rims/hubs for the spoke count and configuration you want. After that it is simply taking it one step at a time and lacing them up. The hard part for me was tension-ing, getting the final spoke tension right. The LBS helped me there when I took them in. Another challenge was that first ride and hearing the spokes "ping ping ping!" The next challenge will be the anxiety of that first pot hole or hard bump. After that you'll be bunny hopping railroad tracks like nothing.

2011-09-14 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3686814

User image

Champion

ELLEN -

I will have to go back and check those, as I think I saw it as sign up by Sept 30 and get it for $150 and no service charge, as opposed to $175. I was just saying to Lynn that that deal is very tempting!*

Thanks for ferreting out the D.C. Tri info; yeah, that date is tempting, too. And Columbia --- always tempting, albeit in a perverse kind of way. I generally am not in ace race-shape that early, but in my four previous goes at it I have tried to use it to get in early-season shape. Seeing that you have signed-up for it adds some incentive to doing so myself.

* "Tempting deals" have backfired on me before, in that I might save about $35 by signing up now.....but stand to lose $150 if I get injured and can't compete. Been there, done that! Prior to '07 I was a real keener, signing up for desireables right when registration opened....and then eating the race fees 6-9 months later. Ack!

It occurred to me today that I emerged from Nation's with no sorenesses at all. Halleloo! I haven't ridden or run since, but have done my usual ~1800m open water swim yestrday and today. How about you, vis-a-vis aches and subsequent workouts?

I will amble over soon to the D.C. and Columbia sites.

Onwards!

2011-09-14 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3686937

Steve, I have not done much. I have been having pain in my right knee. That has never happened. It only happens when I put weight on it from a wierd angle.  I am just watching it but I am goin back to swimmong tomorrow.

Jeff,  I need to look into what you said because it is so cool to make a wheel (or anything else we think is impossible).  You obviously have no trouble thinking "outside the box".   That is pretty amazing to me.  I think that is another thing about this group I like. I learn about people that think in ways that are totally different than the way I do.  We are all programmed in different ways by our upbringing.  Onwards, as Steve would say.

Ellen

2011-09-14 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3687026

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Zam92 - 2011-09-14 7:09 PM

Steve, I have not done much. I have been having pain in my right knee. That has never happened. It only happens when I put weight on it from a wierd angle.  I am just watching it but I am goin back to swimmong tomorrow.

Jeff,  I need to look into what you said because it is so cool to make a wheel (or anything else we think is impossible).  You obviously have no trouble thinking "outside the box".   That is pretty amazing to me.  I think that is another thing about this group I like. I learn about people that think in ways that are totally different than the way I do.  We are all programmed in different ways by our upbringing.  Onwards, as Steve would say.

Ellen

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

This article hits the high points but I would point out that most of the tools except the spoke wrench are not absolutely needed. The LBS will calculate spoke lengths etc for you and even separate the spokes by left and right (for the rear) and front spokes. For a nominal amount they can get the tension and final truing just right. I trued mine to the brake pads just like I have always done and let the bike shop get it perfect. You could probably rent those tools from a shop though.

This article makes it easier to visualize the lacing process. keep in mind I built mine about 12 years ago (and am retiring them now) They were my "race wheels" for a couple of seasons then my everyday wheels.

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/wheelbuildfull.html

2011-09-14 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
This has me thinking about building another set. I have 2 good hubs........
2011-09-14 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3687026

User image

Champion

ELLEN -

You tease! Mention hints like that to an injury junkie....and not provide salient details as to what part of what knee if painful at what angles?!? Sheesh!

Seriously - what part of the knee, and what angles? Swimming should be good, but at the first hint of pain when kicking -- grab a pull buoy! Do you remember if you felt it during either the bike or run? Lemme know some details, please!

2011-09-15 8:44 PM

Steve,

I noticed it a day after the race. It hurts when I climb steps. I get a sharp pain.  I went to the gym before class tonight to see if I could run and I can without any kind of pain. I rode the bike a little in a small gear and that was fine.   I did some leg excercises on the machines to try to strengthen my knees and I did not feel anything. It only happens when I climb stairs and only my right knee.  So I will see what happens this weekend.  I am going to do a base program and try to be consistent.  I will look at the BT programs since they are easy.  But the more I read I think it woudl be better to try to do a periodization thing and think about the 8 months I have to work through this.  I am calling Eagleman an A race and the 1/2 marathon in the beginning of May and Columbia at the end of May as B or training type races.  If you are going to do Eagleman you better be quick.  That would be cool. I think the whole group should do Eagleman.  But that is because it is close to me.  Others might target other races and I think next year I am going to consider Beach to Battelships that is close to the name).  It is at a good time of year and might be fun to do a race I have not done 3 times.  I would say I'm a creature of habit but really I always think I can do better the next time.  That is sometimes true. 

This weekend I volunteered at the "Backroads Century" in Berryville, VA. I work for several hours and then ride 50 miles.  Sounded like a cool thing to do.

I have to sleep now.  G'night.Ellen

2011-09-16 6:07 AM

Jeff,   Good luck at Branson.

2011-09-16 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
New York

Good Luck Jeff!!!

I have totally lost motivation to swim... all training seems difficult to do with exception of riding... Really need to get motivated!

2011-09-16 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mobile

Jeff - Good luck at Branson, knowing what you have done in training, you will fly through the course.

Steve & Ellen - Congrats to both for Nations, I really wished I could have been there.  Me and the wife have spoken in the past about taking the kids to DC, so sometime in the future I might have to plan that trip around one of the Nations race.

Alex - So how did your race go last weekend? If you made a post sorry did not see it, did use the new bike and how is that coming along, are you loving it.

Sorry everyone that I have been away from the group, it has been a mixture of back issues, work and now my son is back playing baseball so I wake up and go and come home eat and then crash out.  I still have not gone out and done any training.  Just when I think my back is better I wake up hurting again.  This weekenf Im going to force myself to the pool to see if that will help any. 

Good luck to anyone else that is racing this weekend.  Man the weather down here last night was in the mid 60's I guess fall is fast approaching.

2011-09-16 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mobile

Jeff - Good luck at Branson, knowing what you have done in training, you will fly through the course.

Steve & Ellen - Congrats to both for Nations, I really wished I could have been there.  Me and the wife have spoken in the past about taking the kids to DC, so sometime in the future I might have to plan that trip around one of the Nations race.

Alex - So how did your race go last weekend? If you made a post sorry did not see it, did use the new bike and how is that coming along, are you loving it.

Sorry everyone that I have been away from the group, it has been a mixture of back issues, work and now my son is back playing baseball so I wake up and go and come home eat and then crash out.  I still have not gone out and done any training.  Just when I think my back is better I wake up hurting again.  This weekenf Im going to force myself to the pool to see if that will help any. 

Good luck to anyone else that is racing this weekend.  Man the weather down here last night was in the mid 60's I guess fall is fast approaching.

2011-09-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3688960

User image

Champion

GANG -

Sorry to be slack -- again!! -- with a race report. Soon to follow, mayhaps?

2011-09-16 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3688921

User image

Champion

JEFF!

Where are you? Branson, en route to Branson, or packing up to head off to Branson? And again -- what's your bib number?

How's your head, and body? All systems go? Wheeeeeeee!!

2011-09-16 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3689555

User image

Champion

ALEX -

Splish-splash! Sixteen days until Bassman, so maybe aim for two this coming week and at least one the following week -- just to stay sharp!

The Bman numbers are leisurely climbing, with 88 in my race and 3 in your yours. I'm sure mine will grow by about 40 more, and yours into double-digits by race day. It's funny how some races have trouble gaining "traction". The HIM I am eyeing in NC at the end of October was at 32 about three weeks ago.....and is now at 33. Slo-mo registrations!

Splish-splash!

2011-09-16 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3689555

User image

Master
Denison Texas

stevebradley - 2011-09-16 12:00 PM JEFF! Where are you? Branson, en route to Branson, or packing up to head off to Branson? And again -- what's your bib number? How's your head, and body? All systems go? Wheeeeeeee!!

Hey! Still getting ready. We leave early tomorrow morning #307. Going to do a short shake down ride for the bike maybe a jog later. Packing my bags for t1 and t2. Two seperate transition areas, gassing the truck and picking up Mimi's car finaly from the body shop.

Thanks everyone

2011-09-16 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3688742

User image

Champion

ELLEN -

Well, that helps some -- but what area of the knee? Iliotibial band affecets the outside of the knee, and can often manifest itself on going up or down stairs. Does the location sound right -- lateral knee? If so, icing is good, and also something like The Stick or a foam roller. Lemme know!

Trying a Periodized plan might work well for you, and it's worth a try. It tends to extend much further, and for some people gives more flexibility than one of the 12- or 18- or 24-week plans. And the sceince behind periodization is certainly solid, so there's that, too.

As for Beach To Battleship (or B2B, for the cogniscenti), that's got the advantage of the incoming current make the swim go really fast (except for last year, when they mis-read the tide charts! ). THe problem for that, for me, is extending my training so far into the fall. I am currently thinking about one in northern NC on the same day as B2B.....and I just don't know if I can manage the requisite longer rides once the autumn winds begin to howl daily. I know I can't OWS up here much past mid-Oct (as in the 12th or so), but then again I do so much of that that I can afford to stop those until race day and still be relatively fine.

Changing-up races might help you some; there's lots of cool stuff not all that far from where you live. I've wondered, too, if shorter early-season races might help your psyche some, just as a way to allow yourself to train less, as opposed to feeling guilty about not training enough while school is in and you're still teaching. In fact, I was going to mention Devilman to you (southern NJ, early May), and then I saw your mention of an early-May half-marathon -- which, FWIW, is great timing in prep for Eagleman.

I haven't been on the bike since Sunday, and likely won't today -- it's about 48 here today, and windy. As my mother used to say in different contexts (usually referring to me..... ), "Who needs the aggravation??")

2011-09-16 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3689566

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Allrighty then! And many thanks for the re-post of your number, which I will hope to follow on Athlete Tracker.

What are you figuring it wil take to drive there -- 5 or 6 hours? Not bad at all, if it's only that!

Keep us posting on the happenings, okay? Major mojo ebing cooked for you right now!!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 172