BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 172

2010-12-21 4:25 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED
Ready to go -- beat the holiday rush! NAME: Steve Bradley STORY: For two previous versions of this, go to the Mentor Archives and look at my initial post at "stevebradley's Mentor Group" and "GrooveTime!group"; these reflect my "status" as of Jan. 13 '09 and Dec. 15, '09, respectively. In a nutshell, though, 2011 will be 12th year of multisport, with the count is now at an even 100 races: 82 triathlons, 12 duathlons, 6 aquabikes (There are also lots of running races as well). Doing the math will tell you how much I love this stuff, as I compete as often as I can and take it all very seriously. I have not yet responded to the post on the main forum about what is my most-loved part of triathlon, as for me there are about a dozen of the categories that carry pretty much equal weight. As the current locution goes: It's all good! FAMILY STATUS: Turning 62 on Jan. 13, and in another nine days I will hit 35 years of marriage. Lynn is 15 months my junior and we have two "kids": Jane is closing in on 27 in April, and Peter just turned 24 two days ago (our ancient dog, Luna, is a fairly spry 13-and-a-half). I retired in '07 from a few lifetimes of teaching (mostly elementary), and live in the flat farmlands east of Ottawa, Ontario. (I was born in Boston, however). CURRENT TRAINING: I remain currently self-coached, but as always there is a big tip of the bike helmet to Eric Cagnina of D3 Multisport, who worked with me for 3+ years from '03-'07. I am pretty much emerged from my off-season, which incorporated separate stints of four weeks without cycling and four weeks without running. I didn't take much of a break from swimming, other than moping for about eight days after it got too cold for open water swims before trudging off to the pool for the next 7+ months (sigh...). I hit the gym 3-4 times a week, where I love the discipline of tri-focused lifting. All of my training is solo. THIS YEAR'S RACES: There were 11 triathlons and three road races. The tris were four sprints, five olympics, and one half-iron; the road races were two 10kms and a half-marathon. The focus was, for the second year in a row, building consistent speed at olys, aiming to be consistently sub-2:30. The larger goal is to incorporate some of this speed into half-irons, realizing after about 17 half-irons that having good speed at shorter distances can transfer nicely to longer distances. I am very pleased with how this plan has progressed! 2011 RACES: Once again, nothing is carved in stone at this stage. My "A" race will be the USAT Age Group Nationals in Burlington, VT, on Aug. 20; this is olympic distance. The "A-" race will be USAT Sprint Championships, same venue, following day. How I get there will likely be through a series of olympic-distance races, and after the Burlington races I will hopefully finish the season with two or three half-irons. Stay tuned for never-ending and ever-evolving developments! WEIGHT LOSS: Not much of an issue. I am 6'2", and currently at 172. I race best at about 170, which I was at for virtually all of the '10 season. I have been known to creep up to 180 during the looooong winter here, but last year topped at 176 or so, which made the slide back to low-170s quite easy. I make a decent effort to eat "mindfully", a habit built during a few years of being vegetarian ('03-'06). (Could always be more mindful, however! ) GOOD MENTOR: This will be my third group, with the other two having started in Jan '09 and Dec '09. Both are still active, with the former at 6299 posts and the latter at 6472 posts --- prolific, and then some! If you want to see how I "operate", just go the the Mentor Archives to the two groups mentioned above and trawl around for a while. I answer virtually everything that is posted my way, and more often than not in copious detail. I rely on three attributes: my many years of doing triathlon, the knowledge I gained from being a certified Level I USAT Coach, and an overriding interest in helping new(er) triathletes identify and attain their goals. The teacher in me has never quite gone away, and being retired means that I can settle into the computer pretty much whenever I want -- it's a good one-two punch! Finally, I am keenly aware of how life's "little realities" (work, family, other interests, injuries, etc) can affect training, and try to always keep in mind the need for balance -- both for me and the people in my groups. Ready to get your mojo workin'? I am!

2010-12-22 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3256772

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - Open

A few additional thoughts.........things I believe in (in no special order):

(1) ALL DISTANCES ARE VALID. There is often the nagging belief that one is not a triathlete until one has done an iron-distance race, and to my mind this is very far from the truth. ANY race-level is valid, and all race levels present unique challenges. While doing a sprint may take less time than a half-iron, it is not necessarily easier or any less rewarding. Those two distances (and also olympic and iron) require very different approaches and training and race-day tactics, and both are equally worthy.

(2) COMPARING IS NOT HELPFUL. We are all Experiments of One, and as such we bring different elements to the game. We all have different degrees of responsibilities (work and family, primarily), our financial situations vary dramatically, and previous levels of physical activity and experience can differ significantly. While we will look to each other for encouragement, support, and motivation, it is best to draw the line at the point at which we maybe feel that we are "not doing enough", or "not progressing" fast enough, in comparison to others in the group.

(3) TRAINING IS NOT LINEAR. That is, you cannot expect each subsequent workout to be better than the one before it; were that the case, we would all be olympians within a few months! As you embark on your triathlon-based experience here, please try to keep this in mind and not become overly discouraged when slumps and setbacks occur. As long as the work is there, rebounds always occur! There are loads of reasons why this happens, and why some training sessions are just "flat" or "ponderous" and lethargic". The best thing to do is accept it.........and get ready for the next one!

(4) HIGH-QUALITY GEAR IS NOT NECESSARY. This dovetails with #2, perhaps, in that it is very easy (and not at all helpful) to feel that your gear is sub-standard. Most of us have begun our triathlon journey quite humbly, perhaps even with a borrowed mountain bike, no wetsuit, and baggy all-cotton clothing. If any of those (and many others) apply to you, then You Are Not Alone, and in time, piece by piece, you can upgrade your equipment and gear to whatever level you feel is suitable and which you can afford. But take solace in knowing that at any given race there are scores of people who are not outfitted like the pros and elites, and they are clearly having a blast and are undoubtedly thrilled to have gotten to the point of actually working hard in a race!

(5) 100% ATTENDANCE IS NOT REQUIRED. Don't feel that you have to follow each and every post that the group makes! In groups that move quickly and are prolific, it is common at times to feel that one is not doing enough to keep up with it all, but I firmly believe that this has to something that you fit into your life as best you can. We all know that "stuff" -- family commitments, exams, year-end reviews, etc, etc -- comes up, and if that takes you away from the group for a few days or a week or a month, then that's all fine and valid. Just hop on board again when you're ready, and rejoin the party! Group members ALWAYS remember other group members, and are invariably thrilled when someone returns to the fold.

(6) ENJOY THE RIDE! Put simply, I have enjoyed virtually every moment I have devoted to triathlon, between Feb. '00 to now. Perhaps amazingly, my love of it continues to grow ---even though on many occasions I have been sure there wasn't any room for any more love! I guess I would like everyone to have the experience where there is joy in training and improving, and where seemingly wild goals are first warily eyed, then cautiously set, and finally satisfyingly achieved. Setbacks happen, to be sure, but each is just another speed bump -- something that may slow you down and discourage you, but will feel oh-so-good when you move past is and get going again. Wheeeeeeee!!

2010-12-26 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Hi Steve.. I'm slipping in through the back door to get in on your group.  Will post my bio once you are 'live', probably after Jan. 2 when all this holiday stuff is over.  Talk to you in the new year.

2010-12-27 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
I would love to join your group Steve!

I had a "triathlon free" year last year due to some health issues.  Planning on a couple of sprints and a half ironman in 2011 along with a couple of half marathons.  I will post a bio when you go live!
2010-12-27 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Hi Steve,

I'd love to join if you've room for one from NZ. I'll post lots more details when you're up and running after the holidays too. I have two teeny weeny tris coming up; one on 23 Jan and one on 5 Feb. I'm excited, as I have only done the one triathlon in my time and that was in England 4 years ago.

Cheers,

Jac

2010-12-27 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Hi Steve,

I would really like to join your group and learn from your experience.  I did one sprint Tri last year and had a blast.  I think I had just as much fun before and after the race as I did during the race.  I would say that I am a runner who wants to be a triathlete. 

I got sidelined last year with knee surgery after not listening to my body.  I have to set goals for myself to stay motivated.  So the day after my knee surgery, I am laying in bed reading about different Triathlons and had a crazy idea of signing up for an Ironman.  So I did.  I know it was crazy and spur of the moment but I am really excited about the idea of training for one. 

I log all my workouts on BT and I am usually on daily.  Let me know if you have room for me and I will post a more detailed bio. 

Thanks

John

2010-12-27 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Hi Steve,

I'd like to join.

Name: Craig
This will be year 2 for me. Last year I did my first 5k and my first sprint though it was a long off road sprint .75mi/13mi/5mi. My goals for last year were to get off the couch and do something and lose some weight. I was 333 last Christmas and I've lost about 45 pounds since. My goals for this year are to continue to get healthier improve my times and do at least 1 or 2 more races then I did last year. I would like to improve my running that is my weakest point. I don't have any history in endurance sports outside of last year. In High School I played football, Basketball and track (high & low hurdles and high jump). So at 6'3" and 285 this endurance thing is quite the challenge.
2010-12-27 5:00 PM

User image

San Francisco
Hi Steve,

I would like to join your group as well. My bio is coming shortly.

Thanks
2010-12-27 5:06 PM

User image

Salt Lake City
Hi Steve if there is room i would like to join.

Name: Manfred L.

ME
I started training for a traithlon last summer and it has been a great journy for me. I enjoy all aspects of the tri life and it has helped me not only in loosing the Xtra pounds but i feel much more confident and better about myself, i am excited to do my first try this upcoming may.
I am about 175lbs 5'9 right now.  

Family Status: Single

Current Training: Right now my training has not been on as much as i woould like it to be.
I curently Run anywhere from 2 to 4 miles every other day, I just got rollers so i am starting on those every other day for about 20 - 30 Min. And i swim at the local rec center 3 times a week. ( I just started the 5 months swim plan i found on here.

2011 Races: Signed up for SG Triathlon on 5/21/11, I hope to sign up for a couple more soon.

Weightloss: I am at about 175lbs. I want to be at 165lbs for my first try.

Goals: Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy.. With that said My first Goal is to finish my first tri. Just finish..
Goal # 2 be at 165lbs by the first of may for my tri that month.
Goal# 3 stay Focused and commited to my training and get in to the pool every week.
Goal # 4 Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy More..
2010-12-27 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3263362

User image

San Francisco

I actually will be joining the group afterall, but thank you for offering your time to support us newbies!

2010-12-27 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3263371

User image

Ohio
Hi Steve
I would also like to get my Mojo working if your group still has a spot available!
I am married to a tiathlete and finally got the bug last year and did several short races (Girl tris not quite sprint distances) I am registered for the same series again and I would like to do at least one sprint distance this upcoming year! I guess I will post the rest of my bio when things get under way and if you still have a spot!
Looking forward to a great racing year!!!
Shannen

2010-12-27 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Spokane
Steve,i'd like to join your group if possible.  I'm 52 and starting my second season,I did four sprints last year and am hoping to do three sprints and end with a possible Olympic in Late September.  I am 6'3" and 210 right now.  I want to be 185 by my first race in late may.  My knees are in pretty rough shape after years of contact sports and i think losing some weight will be good for my knees ad general health.
2010-12-27 8:18 PM

User image

Philadelphia, PA
Steve -- I'd also like to join the group!

Age: 38, married with 7-year old daughter and 4-year old son.
2011 goal: Complete my first sprint tri (Marshman, 9/18/11, 1/4 mi swim, 12.5 mi bike, 2 mi run)
Weightloss: Currently 5'7", 170 lbs. Have lost almost 25 lbs over last 12-18 months through diet and exercise. Looking to lose about 10 more lbs as I train for the race.
Status: No real experience in swim, bike or run. Currently doing Run/walk combo 3x/week as I build conservatively to 5k distance. Bike 1x/week, usually spin class. Full body strength train 2x/week. Will start adding swim to the mix in the spring when I plan to dial back the run to 2x/week. Going on the 20-week 2x sprint plan starting in May.

Looking forward to the discussion. Thanks, Adam.
2010-12-27 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3263570

User image

Champion

I disappear into Ottawa for the day/evening, and look what happens ---- nine better-late-than-never gifts in the form of:

Cathy

Lori

Jac

John

Craig

Manfred

Shannen

Gene

(and maybe/maybe not Mindy Lea)

So, that's enough for a baseball team, and I guess it's a fine starting point for this here mojofied mentor group! I'll be open for at least another nine (need enough for intrasquad scrimmages ), and maybe a few more, too. With my previous groups I have found two truths to be apparent:
(1) members like having a fairly large group with whom to work, and
(2) members fall by the wayside somewhat frequently.
So, with those in mind, we will start kind of large......and see where it goes from there!

I will now start going through the nine of you, one by one. I'm looking forward to this whole process, working together to make something memorable out of 2011 -- and beyond.

Onwards!!

2010-12-27 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Hey I'm in.
ME: 47 year old former cat 4 cyclist. Married x2, grown kids considering another. I have odd work hours which would support morning training but never can seem to do it. So I do allot of evening rides/runs and swimming. At the pool in the winter and in the lake during the summer.
Last year I overheard myself telling someone about all the stuff I used to do and became sort of disgusted with myself and my excuses. So I re-discovered my bike, a week later started the couch to 5k, entered some runs and bike rallies, then a duathlon and finally a last second sprint tri in November. I was having som much fun I went for the Dallas turkey trot (8miles) on my way to half marathon and a full marathon in the spring. Just before the turkey trot I injured myself and it has taken 6 full weeks to be able to finish any sort of "run" without a limp. I plan on the New Years Day half but will probably walk most of it. (I paid for it-gotta do it mentality)
 For 2011 in addition to the marathon Im looking for a series of sprint triathlons that are in my area, the odd 5k, an Olympic in June and perhaps Redman (half or full) in September.
 I have been very discouraged and depressed since Thanksgiving, this afternoon's little 3 mile jog without a limp got me excited again!
2010-12-27 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3263654

User image

Champion

And Jeff, too!!

2010-12-27 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3262846

User image

Champion

LORI -

I skulked around your races, and see (from your IMMOO repoert) that at the very least we have in common DeSoto wetsuits. Do you bedeck yourself in DeSoto gear for all your athleteic endeavors, or is the wetsuit the exception to the rule? (For me, it is head-to-toe DeSoto. Rah-rah!)

I hope your health issues are well behind you, as you seem to take this stuff quite seriously. And, judging from your photo and the run-heavy nature of your races, you come to this from a running background; yes? If your health issues are of an overuse-injury nature, i can maybe be very useful to you, having a rather long and lurid injury history myself. I keep hoping I have outgrown that "stage" of my life.....but my recent bunion problem seems to have kept the trend alive and well.

Which sprints, and which half-iron (Racine? Door County?)?

Very nice running form, by the by!

2010-12-27 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3263092

User image

Champion

JAC -

Always have room from someone who's a couple of hemispheres removed from me! As it turns out, my daughter Jane is flying to Sydney next Tuesday, where she'll be training some people at that branch of her company until March 19. Maybe I'll send her to cheer you on at at least one of your "two teeny weeny tris". Which ones are they, anyhow?

Even though your precious tri was four years ago, have you managed to stay kinda sorta tri-functional between now and then? Or, are you kinda sorta having to start all over again, gearing up for the two on the near-distant horizon?

As for "mathsgeek"........is that professional, or a pasttime?

Finally, just to make it perfectly clear ---- I never said you can't!

2010-12-27 9:21 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Hi Steve, I would like to join your group. I am 53 yr old female mom of six (2 still at home). I did IMAZ 2010 and have lost my mojo! Starting back on Jan. 1 with Be Iron Fit, I plan on doing Vineman. I have not been on the scale to assess the damage I've done in the last month, I would like to lose about 15 pounds and focus on intensity rather than just trying to finish. I wasn't very good about keeping up my bt logs will be better about it in Jan. Thanks, Melinda
2010-12-27 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3263157

User image

Champion

JOHN -

IMLOO, eh? One of the people from my first group did it this past August, and another woman from that group is doing it next year -- same as you! Are you good with the heat? That seems to be a prerequisite of sorts, but as with the IM races, lots of heat-challenged northerners do LOO and do well, regardless of their attitudes towards doing double-digit hours in plus-90!

What was the nature of your knee injury? As I wrote to Lori, I have a pretty extensive injury hostory of my own, with my most serious knee issue being a torn medial meniscus in '06 (hence, the aquabikes on my race resume, all from that season). Is whatever ailed you fully behind you now?

I too love the camaraderie of triathlons, where the pre- and post-race activity can be as meaningful as the in-race experience. It's alwats a let-down of sorts to do a straight run race, where too many people arrive just before the start and leave as soon as they grab a bagel and a banana. Sigh.

I'm glad you post your workouts on BT........and maybe THIS year I ought to do the same. I keep a semi-meticulous logbook log, but have failed miserably in my two or three attempts to get at least an abbreviated form of my log here on BT. So, we shall see if I can pull it off this time around!

Finally, I'm also pleased that you remain excited about training for IMLOO. It's really and truly The Adventure, full of ups and downs but overall oh-so-worth-it. My first was Lake Placid '04, and signing up was awe-inspiring and riveting -- I felt that my lif had sudden;y undergone a cosmic lurch, and would keep lurching for the next 261 days. (And that was just abbout the way it played out.)

Looking forward to your further info!

2010-12-27 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3263705

User image

Champion

Melinda also!

2010-12-27 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
OK....I'm in! Already like the way this group has taken off!

NAME: David/Triwolfpack

STORY: Basically I started running back in 2005 to get back into shape (put on some major LB's after getting married)! Ran alot of 5k's my first year...moved up to 10k's the next year and then finished my first Half-Mary in 2007. After that race I noticed my knee was in alot more pain than I had experienced before. After taking some time off, I self-diagnosed ITBS and pretty much called it quits after that. Well...the weight piled on again and I started to get the urge to race again. Went to the doctor at the end of 2008, confirmed my self diagnosis, and underwent about 8 weeks of physical therapy to get my "not so limber body" stretched out. Once I learned how to stretch properly I was back at racing again and finished out 2009 with a couple of 10k's under my belt (early in the season). But I wanted more!!! Ever since 2007 I had seen the NBC-IronMan telecast and always wanted to try it, but I had no clue how to swim...didn't have a bike so I blew it off. Well at the end of 2009, I decided to jump in head first...joined BT and totally immersed myself in the world of Tri. I took some local swim lessons at my YMCA to learn some technique and kept at it 3 days a week. Decided to sign up for my first Tri in September to give me plenty of time to train, but I got the itch to race and signed up for a Sprint in July. Long story short....acquired an inexpensive road bike from a friend and completed both races (not necessarily at lightning speed mind you), but I fell in love with the sport. Here I am ready to embark on another season and I can't wait!!

FAMILY STATUS: 38YO married to an extremely supportive wife! We have a 4YO daughter and a black lab (my other little girl)! Family is extrememly important to me so balancing training and family life can be a challenge! I typical work out at night so I can enjoy dinner with the family, put the little one to bed....then hit the gym from 7:30-9:30pm. In the warmer months I try to stay home and get my bike and run in around the neighborhood, but I can't miss out on my swim training 3 days a week at the local Y!

CURRENT TRAINING: I tend to be a solo trainer which is why I like BT so much. It allows me to interact with other triathletes and I enjoy the comraderie as well as getting inspired and inspiring others! Right now I am finishing up the Winter Maintenance plan with the Learn To Swim Program substituted for my swim workouts. I'll be jumping in to the Basic Sprint 12 week program starting Jan. 3rd and finishing up the Learn to Swim Program (a great program if you haven't checked it out)!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2010 was a learning year for me. Complete 2 sprint triathlons, and one 5K (Turkey Trot) for fun. I definately learned alot about the sport and now I just want to improve!

2011 RACES: This year I am looking at doing 4 sprint triathlons with my "A" race being Tri-Latta. Finally to cap of the year my first OLY race in October in Pinehurst (which of course is another "A" race for me as well). I'm also throwing in a 5k (which happens to benefit a friend of mines non-profit for Sarcoma Research) and the Warrior Dash for fun!

WEIGHT LOSS: Not too big of a deal now. I lost about 17lbs. since I started last year! I know right now I am around 155 due to the holidays, but I didn't restrict my diet at all! My typical race weight is probably around 148...so I have a few pounds to lose before my first race in March, but I'm not too worried!

Anyway....looking forward to inspiring others and getting inspired!
2010-12-27 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3263305

User image

Champion

CRAIG -

The "sprint" you did is one of those I call a "hybrid", and yours featured quite the over-long swim and run segments. And off-raod, too; mercy! I have never done an off-road tri or du........and don't have any intention of doing so. I have enough trouble staying injury-free in settings within roots and rocks and scree and mud, so I'll keep where I'm least in harm's way, thank you very much!

What you've done in the past year is quite remarkable, but I guess you are well aware of that yourself. It sounds as if you have momentum and success and reinforcement on your side already, so i'm sure you will continue to "get healthier" -- and improve your times! Yes, the "endurance thing" can be challenging for someone 6'3"/285, but I can't tell you how many Clydesdales I have seen who were awesome triathletes. Two things working in the favor of larger persons are often swim buoyancy and downhill speed on the bike, and these are not to be minimized at all. I'm a good climber on the bike, and it never ceases to cause me chagrin to pass those large folk going up.....only to have them blow past me on the descents. ZOOOOOOOM!

Where is Central Point, anyhow?

2010-12-27 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3263735

User image

Champion

David, too!

2010-12-27 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3261829

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Hi Steve:
My name is Sarah. I'm 47 make that 48 as of December. I started tris at 43. I hadn't run a mile since college and hadn't swam 'competitively' since 12. I spent my 20's and most of my 30's smoking 2 packs a day. I finally quit and I'm also an 'ex drinker'. I don't do 'moderation' well Anyhow, I had done some charity bike rides and had upgraded my mountain bike to a hybred and then to a road bike - but rode a century on a hybred. Anyhow...I don't have much experience but have done some sprints, running races - 5ks, half marathons, and one olympic. I teach spin classes but realize that much of those are not ideal for endurance training. The olympic really was tough and I was undertrained and ironically I came in 3rd in my AG but only cuz there was only 3 of us! LOL 
I married at 39, mom at 40 and work but only part time now so that I can have more 'kid time'. I'm a gold member here but have not really utilized it much yet. I tend to like group support and have seemed to have lost my mojo lately. I've done training sort of piecemeal style and my nutrition is probably not the best either (don't even ask what I've eaten this last week!) LOL
I'd like to join your group to see about getting my mojo running again to tackle that Olympic in proper form this year. I'd like to do the Beach to Battleship 1/2 if not this year, next since I have family in NC/Wilmington.
You seem to have alot of enthusiasm, knowledge and offer inspiration simply by your own accomplishments.

Edited by BbMoozer 2010-12-27 10:09 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 172