of 137

2009-01-21 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1920871

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL
Newtons1st - 2009-01-21 4:47 PM

Since I had a slight set back in the healing of the calf I decided to actually go do something. I went and had a ACT (Active Release Techniques) treatment done. I have read some good things about it so I figured I would give it a try and report here how it works for me. Plus it was covered by my insurance so it was just a copay. The Guy that looked me over found the issue pretty quick. Its my Flexor hallucis longus muscle. Other words deep calf muscle that runs on the outter back part and connects to the big toe. Thats today A&P lesson. He said it was pretty tight and had some scar tissue built up.

Basically they relax the muscle and apply strong pressure in a small area of the muscle and then while holding the pressure flex the muscle. So think Hulk Hogan giving you a deep tissue massage. Repeat over the whole muscle. So no running yesterday or today. Today I am sore but I really dont have the ache. Not sure if it is blended in with the soreness or what. Going back for another treatment Friday before I head to Chicago.

I've heard of that.  Similar concept to rolfing I believe.

Sounds painfull as hell, honestly.  But I've heard a lot of people who have found great release from it.  Good luck!

2009-01-21 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1920871

User image

Master
New York, NY
Newtons1st - 2009-01-21 4:47 PM

Since I had a slight set back in the healing of the calf I decided to actually go do something. I went and had a ACT (Active Release Techniques) treatment done. I have read some good things about it so I figured I would give it a try and report here how it works for me. Plus it was covered by my insurance so it was just a copay. The Guy that looked me over found the issue pretty quick. Its my Flexor hallucis longus muscle. Other words deep calf muscle that runs on the outter back part and connects to the big toe. Thats today A&P lesson. He said it was pretty tight and had some scar tissue built up.

Basically they relax the muscle and apply strong pressure in a small area of the muscle and then while holding the pressure flex the muscle. So think Hulk Hogan giving you a deep tissue massage. Repeat over the whole muscle. So no running yesterday or today. Today I am sore but I really dont have the ache. Not sure if it is blended in with the soreness or what. Going back for another treatment Friday before I head to Chicago.

Eeeek....I'm cringing just reading this....sounds like it really hurts Surprised  But on the plus side, that's great that you were able to pinpoint the issues and get it taken care of.  Good luck Friday!

2009-01-21 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
It wasnt painfull but they did put some elbow grease on it. I guess it wasnt too bad since I am going back.
2009-01-21 4:32 PM
in reply to: #1921006

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

Newtons1st - 2009-01-21 4:30 PM It wasnt painfull but they did put some elbow grease on it. I guess it wasnt too bad since I am going back.

Plus now I am to the point where if it gets better I will take what ever pain they want to dish for 30 minutes.

2009-01-21 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1921014

User image

Master
Houston

Wow that sounds painful but it's good they think it'll help! Did they say anything about continuing to run or any other exercise while you're in rehab?

Newtons1st - 2009-01-21 4:32 PM

Newtons1st - 2009-01-21 4:30 PM It wasnt painfull but they did put some elbow grease on it. I guess it wasnt too bad since I am going back.

Plus now I am to the point where if it gets better I will take what ever pain they want to dish for 30 minutes.

2009-01-21 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1919100

User image

Master
Houston

Sorry took so long to get to this, work was crazy busy today...

I do the same as you for sprint tris and 10K races unless the race is a C race which those don't get any days rest.  C-races you should go into very tired and come out about the same, only go ~90-95% save that extra push for the workout the next day.

For HIM/Marathon, if they are A-races (gave 110%) I'd take 3 weeks recovery. The first week just light jog/bike/swim to loosen up. 2nd week start with small and progress to medium distance, slow paces, no intervals.  3rd week remain at medium distance, increase pace from medium to threshold run/bikes. 4th week back to normal.  

A lot of the pain from the marathon is from the tearing of muscle and normally takes ~1wk to go away.  Even when the pain goes away, the muscles are still torn for ~3wks so you really want to lay off speed work/intervals and running on hard surfaces for that time while you're recovering.

I also normally spend that downtime looking at my goals and figuring out if that race indicates I'm on track or if something needs to be changed up.

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-01-20 6:59 PM

I know some members of our group haven't raced yet or have limited races, but I would like to see where others are at with this:

Post race workouts or recovery workouts?  How long do y'all take off (recovery days)?  When do you get back out and start aiming towards another race or goal?

The marathons and the HIM have been the only races I really focus a recovery plan with.  Sprint Tri's and 10k's and less I really just work in one day off after the race & then get back to regular training.  What are y'alls thoughts, experience, etc?

2009-01-22 9:21 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY

Happy Thursday everyone!!

For anyone that's done a HIM, what training plan did you follow?  Did you like it....why/why not?  I know that when it comes to training everyone has their own preferences, but are there any specific plans that you'd recommend?  I know that I still have a plenty of time (race is 7 months from tomorrow....not that I'm counting or anything).  I've been browsing through some training books, considering upgrading my BT membership but just looking for some other opinions before deciding on anything.

2009-01-22 9:41 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

I actually followed the free 20 week plan availalbe on this site.

It's been some time... so I dont really remember anything specific about it.  I remember thinking that I liked the fact that they outlined specific swim workouts for me.  I also remember feeling like I needed to do more run training.

Sorry, that was immensely not helpful, huh?  Haha.

I guess the most important question to ask when determining which training plan to use is what are your goals for the race?  I would think that your training plan would best be determined by how aggressive your goals are.

(This is where Eric jumps in and turns everything that I'm trying to say into something that makes sense... haha )

2009-01-22 9:54 AM
in reply to: #1922198

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nicole83 - 2009-01-22 10:41 AM

(This is where Eric jumps in and turns everything that I'm trying to say into something that makes sense... haha )

Hahaha!!  Precisely why he's our leader Smile

2009-01-22 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1922230

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
KelliD - 2009-01-22 10:54 AM

Yes.  That and the fact that he could literally run two half marathons (and probably HIMS for that matter) in the time it would take me to do one.  Haha.

2009-01-22 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1922198

User image

Master
New York, NY

I actually followed the free 20 week plan availalbe on this site.

It's been some time... so I dont really remember anything specific about it.  I remember thinking that I liked the fact that they outlined specific swim workouts for me.  I also remember feeling like I needed to do more run training.

Sorry, that was immensely not helpful, huh?  Haha.

I guess the most important question to ask when determining which training plan to use is what are your goals for the race?  I would think that your training plan would best be determined by how aggressive your goals are.

No, it was helpful.  I definitely agree with you on finding a plan that meets your goals.  But, I've also followed plans where I found myself adding to the workouts bc by just following the training plan I felt like I always had more left in the tank.  I don't want that!  Considering this is my first HIM I have feeling I'm not going to break the Timberman course record {sigh}....maybe that will be my goal next time   At the moment, aside from crossing the finish line feeling strong I haven't established any specific goals but I know that will come as I get further into training.  I'm looking for a plan that going to push & challenge me, if it outlined specific s, b & r workouts that would be a huge plus, I definitely need to work on building myself up mentally (I can be a mental weiney).

2009-01-22 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1922235

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nicole83 - 2009-01-22 10:56 AM

Yes.  That and the fact that he could literally run two half marathons (and probably HIMS for that matter) in the time it would take me to do one.  Haha.

Haha....I'm totally in the same boat with you!!

2009-01-22 10:29 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY

Hip hip hooray!!!  The 2009 version of my sneakers was just released and they look awesome!!  Now, I'm not one to care about this sort of thing and run out & buy the new edition of sneakers.....I'm usually all about buying the discontinued version (i.e. the cheaper version) until I can no longer find any.  And I normally don't care what my sneakers look like as long as they're comfortable.  BUT....the new ones are silver and pink!  I believe it's called calypso pink.  It will be like a party on my feet everytime I wear them!  And, for your viewing pleasure....

2009-01-22 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1922273

User image

Master
Houston

Haha, you guys crack me up I'm glad I didn't mentor a group a couple years ago cause then people would be saying why would I listen to this slow poke!

No need to clear up what Nicole said, I completely agree that it depends on your goal and your current abilities/weaknesses.   I personally am not a fan of the cookie cutter training plans because one size does not fit all but generally they're a good starting point. The plans are normally one of two types that I've seen and it really depends on your current situation and goals.

1) Nearly all base building, meant for just finish to finish strong. Recommended if going the distance is the workout and will wear you out. Not as much interval work, need to focus more on technique and getting the mileage in.

2) Periodization plan w/multiple base/build/taper periods which is more for intermediate-advanced at that distance.  I made this switch when getting the distances in no longer killed me. Since the distance no longer kills you, intervals and speed work does

For HIM you'll see a range of the long bike going from ~50-80mi and long run ~11-15mi.  Depending on what type of plan (base/periodization) you're doing will determine how many weeks are at that maximum distance. Most plans will have a 3x balance, if you have an obvious strength I'd recommend dropping one of those workouts and adding another workout of your weakness.  For me I only swim 2x/week and run 4x/week.

You also mentioned specific workouts which I'm all for and is another reason I don't like the cookie cutter plans... for the most part they're all the same and boring. This is where a coach can really help if you're able to find/afford one. Even if the plan has workouts, they're probably not geared towards what you need improvement on or need at that point in the season.

Sorry all that rambling is probably not much of a help since I've always made my training plans. Nicole, can you clear up any confusion I may have caused?

KelliD - 2009-01-22 10:11 AM

Edited by evondo 2009-01-22 11:08 AM
2009-01-22 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1921062

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
evondo - 2009-01-21 4:57 PM

Wow that sounds painful but it's good they think it'll help! Did they say anything about continuing to run or any other exercise while you're in rehab?

Newtons1st - 2009-01-21 4:32 PM

The only thing they said was to give it 24 hours with no running and biking. I am about to do a run now so we will see how it feels.

2009-01-22 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1922273

User image

Master
Houston
Kelli- I just noticed the sig line, love it!

2009-01-22 12:04 PM
in reply to: #1922512

User image

Master
New York, NY

evondo - 2009-01-22 12:27 PM Kelli- I just noticed the sig line, love it!

Thanks!  I'd been trying to think of a good one for a while, and when you posted that it was a no brainer.  The funny is, for weeks I couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming up on any of my posts....little did I know that entering a sig line isn't enough, you also have to check off that you want it to be shown.

2009-01-22 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1922447

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Yah, what he said.

I guess one question I have- you say that you have created all of your own training plans- what resources did you find to be the most helpful in doing that?  (books, websites, etc).  I am an anti-plan person (it's the rebel in me) but I think if I put together my own plan, I would be better about following it.

evondo - 2009-01-22 12:07 PM

Haha, you guys crack me up I'm glad I didn't mentor a group a couple years ago cause then people would be saying why would I listen to this slow poke!

No need to clear up what Nicole said, I completely agree that it depends on your goal and your current abilities/weaknesses.   I personally am not a fan of the cookie cutter training plans because one size does not fit all but generally they're a good starting point. The plans are normally one of two types that I've seen and it really depends on your current situation and goals.

1) Nearly all base building, meant for just finish to finish strong. Recommended if going the distance is the workout and will wear you out. Not as much interval work, need to focus more on technique and getting the mileage in.

2) Periodization plan w/multiple base/build/taper periods which is more for intermediate-advanced at that distance.  I made this switch when getting the distances in no longer killed me. Since the distance no longer kills you, intervals and speed work does

For HIM you'll see a range of the long bike going from ~50-80mi and long run ~11-15mi.  Depending on what type of plan (base/periodization) you're doing will determine how many weeks are at that maximum distance. Most plans will have a 3x balance, if you have an obvious strength I'd recommend dropping one of those workouts and adding another workout of your weakness.  For me I only swim 2x/week and run 4x/week.

You also mentioned specific workouts which I'm all for and is another reason I don't like the cookie cutter plans... for the most part they're all the same and boring. This is where a coach can really help if you're able to find/afford one. Even if the plan has workouts, they're probably not geared towards what you need improvement on or need at that point in the season.

Sorry all that rambling is probably not much of a help since I've always made my training plans. Nicole, can you clear up any confusion I may have caused?

KelliD - 2009-01-22 10:11 AM

2009-01-22 1:20 PM
in reply to: #1922330

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
KelliD - 2009-01-22 11:29 AM

Hip hip hooray!!!  The 2009 version of my sneakers was just released and they look awesome!!  Now, I'm not one to care about this sort of thing and run out & buy the new edition of sneakers.....I'm usually all about buying the discontinued version (i.e. the cheaper version) until I can no longer find any.  And I normally don't care what my sneakers look like as long as they're comfortable.  BUT....the new ones are silver and pink!  I believe it's called calypso pink.  It will be like a party on my feet everytime I wear them!  And, for your viewing pleasure....

And even though none of the boys will do it, I will totally give your pink sneakies some love! 

2009-01-22 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1922828

User image

Master
Houston

The training plans are from my what I picked up in the past while swimming. Having 10+ coaches all with nearly the same philosophies starts to rub off on ya I recently read the Triathlete Training Bible by Joe Friel and I'd highly recommend it for anyone who wants to create their own training plan.  He goes over all of the training phases and it's nearly identical to everything I've learned over the years. I don't think it has a ton of specific workouts but he does give generalizations for what a workout in the build phase should look like as an example.

Nicole83 - 2009-01-22 1:18 PM

Yah, what he said.

I guess one question I have- you say that you have created all of your own training plans- what resources did you find to be the most helpful in doing that?  (books, websites, etc).  I am an anti-plan person (it's the rebel in me) but I think if I put together my own plan, I would be better about following it.

Edited by evondo 2009-01-22 2:08 PM
2009-01-22 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1922447

User image

Master
New York, NY
evondo - 2009-01-22 12:07 PM

[

I would love to have a coach!  I've considered it, but not sure I'm really ready to bite the bullet.  I think I'd be more willing to do it if I had some more races under my belt.  I've also considered joining a tri group....there's some coaching, weekly coached group workouts, access to a great pool (which is also much closer than my current pool), and I think training with stronger/more advanced athletes is always a great way to learn & push yourself harder.  BUT, there is also a growing contingent of triathletes in my running group who I workout with .

I'm not at an intermediate or advanced level, but based on your explanation, I think I much prefer a periodization plan over a cookie cutter workout.  Or maybe even a combination of two different plans.  I do like interval work.  I started adding intervals workouts towards the end of last season I found that it made a difference.

2009-01-22 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1922980

User image

Master
Houston

Both types of plans should contain intervals. They definitely make a difference and should be included in any plan as long as the athlete is ready.  Example, when I first started running I was ~10:30/mi pace and could go for about 1.5mi. Doing intervals at that point would have been useless and I'd end up hurting myself. Even when I got down to 8/mi for 3mi and wanted to train for a 1/2 marathon, intervals would have been pointless cause when I was done with 3mi I was dead.

Enough rambling, you can definitely modify a plan to include intervals. Most of the plans out there will just give you mileage for the s/b/r for the week, all you need to do is pick an interval day (generally the shortest workout of the week) and create a workout

Training with a group would be great! There are a couple groups around here but it's very hard to match schedules/speed to make it work.

KelliD - 2009-01-22 2:08 PM

I would love to have a coach!  I've considered it, but not sure I'm really ready to bite the bullet.  I think I'd be more willing to do it if I had some more races under my belt.  I've also considered joining a tri group....there's some coaching, weekly coached group workouts, access to a great pool (which is also much closer than my current pool), and I think training with stronger/more advanced athletes is always a great way to learn & push yourself harder.  BUT, there is also a growing contingent of triathletes in my running group who I workout with .

I'm not at an intermediate or advanced level, but based on your explanation, I think I much prefer a periodization plan over a cookie cutter workout.  Or maybe even a combination of two different plans.  I do like interval work.  I started adding intervals workouts towards the end of last season I found that it made a difference.

2009-01-22 2:56 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Today I'm having a lazy day at work.

I want this for my Christmas present this year (to do in 2010.) http://www.ironedgecoaching.com/webdocs/WomensTriCamp.pdf

She is my triathlon hero.  How awesome would that be?

2009-01-22 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1923152

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nicole83 - 2009-01-22 3:56 PM

Today I'm having a lazy day at work.

I want this for my Christmas present this year (to do in 2010.) http://www.ironedgecoaching.com/webdocs/WomensTriCamp.pdf

She is my triathlon hero.  How awesome would that be?

What a great present....I love it!!!  And not that I have anything against playing with boys, but I love that it's just for women. 

On another note, I'm soo busy at work!!  I seriously should not be spending so much time on BT.  But, I like to think I work better with tight timelines.

2009-01-22 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1923043

User image

Master
New York, NY
evondo - 2009-01-22 3:29 PM

when I first started running I was ~10:30/mi pace and could go for about 1.5mi.

I don't believe it.  Unless....if by "when I started running" you actually mean..."when I took my first steps"? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137