BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-02-22 11:54 PM
in reply to: #1866775

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim

This weeks challenge. Two prong.

First- pick your own, any diet, workout, whatever.

Second- It seems the group is falling apart a bit so we need everyone to inspire each other, pm, or do whatever to keep us all on task and moving forward toward race season. Everyone has worked too hard to start slipping now.

For me part one is hitting all my workouts this week. I have a really big schedule ahead of me so it will be tricky.

And the second part.... seeing I am the leader maybe I should lead by example

2009-02-23 12:13 PM

Hey y'all!  Get my new bike tonight: Cannondale CAAD9 R5(Black & Red)  Got a good deal because I am part of the local Tri Club.  15% off.
2009-02-23 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1976591

User image

Rochester, New York
Sounds great!  I will hit all of my workouts this week, too.  I looked at your log Shermbelle, and there isn't anything there yet for today....Don't forget!!! 
2009-02-23 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'll hit the workouts to a tee - today was an off day and I almost took it - I did do some strength training though.
2009-02-23 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1977326

Champion
No excuses!

K Robert - 2009-02-23 1:13 PM Hey y'all!  Get my new bike tonight: Cannondale CAAD9 R5(Black & Red)  Got a good deal because I am part of the local Tri Club.  15% off.

Very nice, we need pics though

2009-02-23 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1977940

Champion
No excuses!

rjdorman - 2009-02-23 5:53 PM Sounds great!  I will hit all of my workouts this week, too.  I looked at your log Shermbelle, and there isn't anything there yet for today....Don't forget!!! 

Oh I won't forget. I end up doing a lot of my workouts late night. I got one of the little men in bed while the other will be down in a little bit. I hope to start around 11PM. I have a bike workout and a short run to follow.

2009-02-24 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had a nice easy 6 mile run into work (7:48 min / mile pace). A run was not on the training plan but when it is cold (and the 30's is really cold in Mississippi) I would rather run.

I think I will sign up for a 5k for Saturday. Test my speed for the first time this year - I will still need to do a long run afterwards - this might be a good workout to run on tired legs.
2009-02-24 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran

I agree our list from the beginning of the challenge seems to have fallen off quite a bit. I understand being busy though and sometimes it's hard to keep up with it all.

We had 17 sign up and in the last two weeks only 9 of us have checked in-Shermbelle (Michael), KRobert (Ken), craftyazgal (Jill), Trudee (Trudee), tlstacy (tammy), dripfam (Rebecca), Microspawn (James), kimk (kim), and rjdorman (Bob).  Let's keep each other accountable.

Michael-are you managing to eat breakfast at home or packing something to take. How about making up some oatmeal in a leftover container the night before and then just popping it in the microwave while you are getting ready? I like 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal, 1 cup milk (put about 3/4 to cook it in then pour the rest over when it's done), 1 apple cut up, 1 or 2 T of nuts, 1 or 2 T of raisins, dash of cinnamon and some vanilla extract. Or maybe make a pb and honey sandwhich the night before. Just some thoughts. I can't imagine doing a long workout at 11PM when do you sleep?

Ken-congrats on the bike. Yes, pictures please. How fun and exciting for you.  

Trudee-did you get over the cold yet? Did you decide on a using a coach?

Tammy-how has your heart rate been. Good luck with the doctor appointment tomorrow. I hope he can figure out what is going on.

Rebecca-How's recovery coming along? 

James-your workouts are looking great as usual Cool

Kim-have you been tracking? Innocent

Bob-I'll need to check your logs and keep you accountable Surprised

If you want to do any shout outs here is who we have lost. Some have emails:

stlboilermaker (irwin) [email protected]
ddwalls (doug) [email protected]
shannon1066 (Shannon) (no email available and isn't posting in another thread)
jtflash (Jon) [email protected]
dbryson13 (Drew) (no email available and isn't posting in another thread)
bulldog520 (wade) [email protected]
aarondavidson (aaron) (I think Aaron was very advanced and went to another group)
rjablonski (Robert) [email protected]

I've joined both a nutrition challenge and bike challenge here on BT.

It's been interesting to see how many calories I'm consuming and what % is Carb, Protein and Fat. I have not been doing points. I've been watching but just tracking and then I want to see after 1 week what it looks like.

The bike challenge is boys against the girls. I let the girls down last night. i wasn't sure why but my legs were killing me. I did do a lot of miles on the bike compared to what I had been doing. Nothing compared to what some people do but for me a lot more than where I had been. Also I spent 3 hours in the garden after my 14 mile ride on Sunday and it was 3 hours of squate down to fill the basin walk to the planting spot squate and pour. Walk back to the bag of amendment squate down fill back to hole, etc. So I decided to listen to my body last night and rest and not ride the bike. I did however do a 650 yard swim last night.

I have church tonight so I'm not sure what I'll do for training today. Tomorrow is a swim lesson.

2009-02-24 10:23 AM

Here she is:

2009-02-24 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm going to have to better at tracking my food intake. I have been giving myself goals every month and I think next month will be to use www.fitday.com each and everyday. I might not do everything right but at least I will be able to look at it and decide what is working and what is not.
2009-02-24 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1979923

User image

Rochester, New York
I actually downloaded Diet & Exercise Assistant to my PDA and it is wonderful.  Better than fitday for me because it is at my side.

2009-02-25 7:26 AM

User image

Veteran

I sent a quick email out to those that I had an address for.

Ken-I can't see the picture of your bike. It's just a red x in a box Cry

I didn't get a workout in yesterday. I helped with the pancake dinner at church and was tired when I got home. Today is swim lesson and maybe a bike ride before Ash Wednesday service tonight. At least I hope to get on the bike. Logging my food in BT has really been an eye opener.

2009-02-25 11:51 AM

Hmmm!  I can see the picture.  Here's the link: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9RA95D_9RA95C.html

Just change the color to "Jet Black".

2009-02-25 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice looking bike Ken. Have you been on it yet?
2009-02-26 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran

Yeah for me. I got my convoluted training schedule done.  I've got 12 weeks to train and then race week.

Here is next week:

WEEK 1

FRIDAY
SATURDAY
SUNDAY
MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
2/27/09
2/28/09
3/1/09
3/2/09
3/3/09
3/4/09
3/5/09
SWIM
FORM
Warmup
4 x 25m
Drill
4 x 25m Catchup
4 x 25m Kick
4 x 25m Fist
Cooldown
4 x 25m

Total – 500m
ENDURANCE
Warmup
4 x 25m

Ladder
25m, 50m, 75m, 75m, 50m, 25m

Cooldown
4 x 25m

Total – 500m
FORM & ENDURANCE
Warmup
4 x 25m

Drill
2 x 25m Right Arm
2 x 25m Left Arm
2 x 25m Kick
2 x 25m Scull

Endurance
2 x 50m

Cooldown
4 x 25m

Total – 500m
RUN
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
BIKE

I tracked my nutrition this last week in BT. It was an eye opener. Now I need to track and follow my points. Perhaps then I will actually lose weight. I feel that I am back on track though because I have tracked for 2 weeks.

2009-02-26 11:57 AM

New user

Hi gang! How are you all? I've been MIA again. Cry Thanks Jill for the email reminder to return to the flock!

So far so good on the training front for me. After this week, it is 8 weeks and counting until St. Anthony's. *Gulp* It is coming up fast! I think I've mentioned before but I am doing it with Team in Training. Fundraising has certainly been challenging this year. 

My week so far:

Mon - Scheduled Rest Day

Tues - 2400 yrd swim + 5.25 mile run

Wed - 8 mile run

Thurs - 2800 yrd swim + Group spin class tonight

One more swim, a couple more runs and bikes left for this week. I've also been browsing some tri bikes lately. Anyone else here have a tri bike?

Ken- Very nice bike, I like the jet black color scheme! Enjoy it!

Jill - We're doing a Battle of the Sexes challenge starting March 1st on another forum. Losers have to change their avatars to a swimsuit pic! How's that for training motivation! I've seen your avatar a lot over there! Sealed 

Train well everyone! Happy Thursday to all.

Irwin

2009-02-26 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Irwim - I bought a tri bike last year (new off of ebay). It is a Giant Trinity A1 (I got a good price - it is not a popular bike) - I love it.

What is the March challenge you are participating in?
2009-02-27 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1984124

New user

James- glad to hear that you really like your tri bike. Did you have a road bike with clip on aerobars before transitioning to the tri bike?

The March challenge is over on the Runners World Triathlon Forum. We are still hammering out the final rules, but it will be point scoring, something like 1 point per 100 yards swimming, 1 point for 1 mile bike, 1 point for 1/4 mile run. We haven't decided on whether we go with total points or point averages. Should be fun, the trash talking has been hot and heavy already! 

2009-02-28 1:38 PM

New user

Hey everyone,  Sorry I have been MIA lately.  Just busy.  I have been training my tail off and things are getting better.  I have gotten much better at the swim and running is coming along.  I have neve been a good runner.  Even when I played soccer full time i hated running.  I can handle spints well (years of playing soccer)  I HATE distance running.  I have gotten much better at staying focused to finish the goal at hand.  I don;t remember where I read it, but someone said it is always easier to stop after you do it once.  So I just push on keep fighting until I reach my goal.  And ever since I have slowly gotten better distance and better time.  Still very slow, 10-11 minmile.  But getting better.

Everybody sounds like they are doing great.  Keep up the good work.

DB

2009-02-28 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just got back from the first 5k of the year. It rained really hard all night and most of the morning but it let up about an hour before the race. I did this race last year and at 20:31 (11th overall). I have not been working on much speed this year but everything is coming along. I got 8th overall (about 1:20 behind the fast group that pulled away) and finished with a 19:19 (not offical - it was between 19:15 - 19:19 so I am rounding up right now). My previous best was 19:56 set back in August. I felt really good in this race. I paced it well. I usually go out much to fast and just try to hang on. I feel that I have a little more speed in my legs and want to see 18:5X this year.

Regarding tri bikes - Yes I had (and have) a road bike that I use most of the time. Prior to getting a tri bike I put aero bars on my road bike. I think it helped a little in the speed department but not very much. It felt faster but it probably was not much faster than being in the drops. In addition, even thought the clip on bars were carbon and very light the clamps that they went into were metal and pretty heavy. This made my road bike not handle as well as it should. I still ride my road bike than my tri bike. In enjoy group rides and the road bike is much better in a pace line.
2009-03-01 7:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just finished up a 10 mile run. It was dark and cold (5:45AM) and frost was on the ground - not the norm for Mississippi.

Still pretty pumped about the 5k time - I did not feel that strong but I guess the base work is paying off!

2009-03-02 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Quiet in here -
I did an easy swim this morning. Warm up then 1000 yards in 15:56 - the same time as last week. I have been working on form all this past month with my swim class. I am really going to increase the volume during March - my 1/2 ironman is just a month away. I have to get in the water with the wetsuit. I have never swum in it! I have heard some horror stories about being claustrophobic and panic attacks and such - I do not want that to be me.
Funny thing, I bought an aquarium thermometer the other day so that I could see how cold the lakes are right now. I tied a string to it and found a bobber (it was actually a rusty small propane tank – the individual sized ones). I tied the bobber about a foot up from the thermometer and threw it out in the lake. I guess I either threw it too hard or the string was not long enough because the string broke. There was my thermometer and bobber floating in the lake about 20 feet out. I was not planning on it but I pushed the kayak in the lake to fish out this apparatus. Long story short, the lake is 57 degrees. A little cold to say the least. On top of everything else – I ended up breaking the thermometer.
2009-03-02 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran

James-great job on your 5K. It's so exciting when you can see improvement and that your hard work is paying off.

Ok, call me insane but I am thinking about doing The Tour of the Tucson Mountains-a 70 mile bike race.  I have NEVER done anything like this before. The longest I have ridden on my bike so far is 21 miles. 

Since I can't do an Olympic Distance this year I was thinking how else can I challenge myself. I like the swim and bike and really don't like the run portion of Tri. When a friend mentioned the Tour race that got me thinking. I now have the bug and excited but scared.

So it looks like my race schedule may be:

April 26-Tour of the Tucson Mountains 70 mile bike ride

May 25-Sahuarita ("not sure what you call it-extended Sprint?)

July 4-Firecracker Sprint Not 100% sure on this one

I"M CONCERNED ABOUT THIS BIG GAP. I guess I could do the Splash and Dash (yeah running my favorite-NOT) series this summer to keep up with things. However I'll need to start training at the end of August for the El Tour so it won't be to much of a gap.

October 25-Tinfoilman Sprint

November 21-El Tour de Tucson (not sure what distance. I'll see after the Tour in April. Choices are 35, 67, 80, 109).

2009-03-02 12:40 PM

New user
Everett/Seattle

Hey guys thanks for checking in with me.. Dr. said ok to go back to work outs, we needed to adjust dosing times and amount.  So far so good.. I feel tons better.  I was able to get in some work outs, since I hadn't done anything for basicaly two weeks, I started with half.  Sat. I did a 2 mile run, and sunday a 6 mile bike.  felt pretty good... My goal is to work up to my event distances by then end of this week and then for the rest of the month work on endurance,  Since my event is coming quickly..

oh and talk about Murphy's law.  My local pool is closed for the whole month of March for annual mantientce.. I am trying to work a one month special memeber ship with the Y.

I briefly read everyones posts.. Sounds like everyone is doing well and keeping up with training and nutrition..

Good luck and keep putting one foot infront of the other...

Tammy

Kim- congrats on the indoor tri... BIG KUDOS....

2009-03-02 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1991158

User image

Rochester, New York
Jill:  Last summer I did a benefit ride that was 60 miles about 8 days before my olympic tri.  It felt fine and actually gave me more confidence on the bike.  Sadly, I think that was where I blew myself out, because I got a wicked stitch on the run and never really recoverd.  i finished, but not well!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  

of 18