BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-06-01 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2184591

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
BabsVa

social and fun and motivating

It sounds like fun.  ALL of my training is alone, sometimes it seems like it would be cool to have someone to keep you going/push you.

2009-06-01 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2185158

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
SSMinnow

I swam my first 900y continious today in the pool and could have gone farther

Congratulations!  I love those, when you go farther than you had before.  Good job.
2009-06-01 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2184578

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa

SBR weekly hours

4/26   8:00
5/03   8:45
5/10   5:45 (sprint race)
5/17   8:00
5/24   8:45
5/31   10:00

Solid Barb.  More than me, glad I am not "racing" you, you would blow me out.  Would provide someone to chase though.
2009-06-01 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2184200

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Ken in AZ

stress

Dude...I hear you, I think that is going around.
2009-06-01 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

G,

Could you take a look at the attached doc?  Five weeks to go now before my international.  Anything you would do way different in my remaining plan?  Thanks.

Attachments
----------------
Olympic Training Plan 5 Weeks To Go.doc (30KB - 3 downloads)
2009-06-01 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2184578

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
BabsVa - 2009-05-31 3:38 PM

G

So I'm thinking about how to pace, and how to prepare for my first Olympic distance race. I'm psyched to tackle this new distance.
My question is: should I plan on a SBR big day three weeks ahead of my race? If so, should that total workout be continuous 3:30 (that being my estimated total race time - 40 min swim/1 hour 45 bike/1 hour 5 min run. I calculated these finishing times using very conservative paces. Maybe I can do this a little faster). I have one bike ride to date of that duration. And it wasn't really non-stop, either.
Here is a little recent history of my weekly workout total:
SBR weekly hours
4/26   8:00
5/03   8:45
5/10   5:45 (sprint race)
5/17   8:00
5/24   8:45
5/31   10:00
General week:
Alternate hard/easy days
Currently 15 mpw running, long run @ 5 mi 
5 - 6k swimming
2 - 4 hrs biking, 2+ hrs of which is a long weekend ride w/short brick
1 - 2 hrs strength when possible
1 rest day or very easy day (like core work)
Plan for week of:
6/7 10 hrs total; weekend SBR big training day or long bike ride?
6/14 8 hrs
6/21 taper week 6-1/2 hrs
6/28 taper week 2 3-1/3 hrs travel/race
I'd like to finish the race feeling like I'd given it my best effort and looking forward to doing another in a couple months. 
I really appreciate your input!
Barbara

I like that big SBR day three weeks out.  Then a lighter few days where you stay active.  Recovery from that session.

++

The weekend two weeks out might contain...
Swim Main Set of 5x300 descend 1-5 on 15s rest 
***This assumes that you are planning an easy start to race
***If you are tempted to "take it out" on the race swim then open with 300 All Out and see what happens for the rest of the set... you'll likely revise you pacing plan!

Bike Main Set of 3x8 miles with 2 miles Easy between each
#1 -- one gear easier than Goal Effort
#2 -- Goal Effort
#3 -- one gear faster than Goal Effort (reality check)

Run 15 min steady off the bike as a second reality check.

++

Following Day Run 6 miles Easy

++

The combination of the endurance (3 wks out) with the specific prep (2 wks out) will leave you ready to go.

2009-06-01 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2186692

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-06-01 11:07 AM

G,

Could you take a look at the attached doc?  Five weeks to go now before my international.  Anything you would do way different in my remaining plan?  Thanks.

I'm using Safari on a Mac box -- the attachment isn't working for me -- any chance you could email to gordon at endurancecorner dot com?

2009-06-01 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2187118

Expert

GordoByrn - 2009-06-01 2:59 PM I like that big SBR day three weeks out.  Then a lighter few days where you stay active.  Recovery from that session....

***If you are tempted to "take it out" on the race swim then open with 300 All Out and see what happens for the rest of the set... you'll likely revise you pacing plan!...

Will do! Thank you so much.

Oh, and take it out on the swim ... nnno no not Babs, nuh-huh.

2009-06-01 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2187132

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn - 2009-06-01 12:02 PM

G,

I'm using Safari on a Mac box -- the attachment isn't working for me -- any chance you could email to gordon at endurancecorner dot com?

Done.
2009-06-01 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2187602

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-06-01 3:44 PM
GordoByrn - 2009-06-01 12:02 PM

G,

Done.

By International... do you mean 1 mile swim, ~24 mile bike, 10K run?  Want to check.  If yes then... main change is to build in the weekend workouts that I recommended for Barbara.  

The plan will have you ready to tackle each piece and you'll want to understand:

a -- how putting things together "changes" things
b -- reasonable pacing, especially the bike
c -- why it makes sense to hold back (a lot) in the first hour of the race

2009-06-02 7:37 AM

Expert

Justin, our races are 6/28, right? so this weekend we need to do our big SBR day. You psyched for that dude? So we'll do this together ... err on opposite sides of the continent that is. It's gonna be hard! Hardest part actually is figuring out where to do this - no pool is near cycling routes I feel comfortable with, or cycling routes of appropriate length near running trails ... so both 'T1' and 'T2' may be a bit lengthy. My best option is swimming in the lake, riding and running there but now the beach does not open for business until lunchtime. But hey that would be early morning Pacific time, right? so we *could* be doing this 'together' - I'll call you during transitions

I'm thinking I'll chug a Boost in T1, work on a bottle of water/energy drink mix throughout the bike, take a gel and even carry a bottle with me on the run because I no longer trust races to supply fluids when/where I need them. 

How are the rest of us GordoMentees doing? Suzy you sound like you have got a terrific coach to work with. How about you quiet ones - you still with us? Happy tri-ing all!

2009-06-02 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Hi All....I am doing fine and do really like the new coach I am working with now.  Been sitting in meetings for the last two days which is killing me! Thankfully I can check BT!

G
I am a few days away from my first 800y/29m/10K event.  My goal is to make it through the swim without blowing every ounce of glycogen I have stored.  How should I think about the bike and the run?  Is there a HR Zone I should work within on the bike to make sure I don't blow up on the run?  What about pacing for the run? I don't think I will be able to hold my 10K stand alone time, but what is reasonable?

Thanks
Suzy
2009-06-02 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2187884

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn

By International... do you mean 1 mile swim, ~24 mile bike, 10K run?  Want to check.  If yes then... main change is to build in the weekend workouts that I recommended for Barbara.

It is 1k swim, 30k bike, and 10k run.  These things are confusing, I was actually thinking it was a 40k bike.  I will work to incorporate your suggestions for Barbara.  

it makes sense to hold back (a lot) in the first hour of the race

This is my main goal, I went out too hard on my last sprint and I would really like to finish a little stronger.
2009-06-02 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2188672

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
First of all...is that pace booty you are giving us now in your avatar?  Nice!

BabsVa

Justin, our races are 6/28, right? so this weekend we need to do our big SBR day. You psyched for that dude? So we'll do this together ... err on opposite sides of the continent that is. It's gonna be hard! Hardest part actually is figuring out where to do this - no pool is near cycling routes I feel comfortable with, or cycling routes of appropriate length near running trails ... so both 'T1' and 'T2' may be a bit lengthy. My best option is swimming in the lake, riding and running there but now the beach does not open for business until lunchtime. But hey that would be early morning Pacific time, right? so we *could* be doing this 'together' - I'll call you during transitions

You got it, the 28th is fast approaching, I really can't believe it is so close.  I will actually have to do my SBR day next weekend I think.  I have to volunteer (I think that is an oxymoron, anyway) at soccer sign-ups on Saturday and we have other associated kid's commitments the other days.  I am looking toward the following weekend.  I am thinking of doing my SBR day at the location of my sprint in early May.  OW lake swim, same bike course just longer than my international, and the 10k run course.  They did an international at the same time as my sprint.  I think it will work out since I the routes are already defined I won't have to worry too much about where/how much I need to do for my simulation.
2009-06-02 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2190376

Expert

cjhild - 2009-06-02 6:24 PM First of all...is that pace booty you are giving us now in your avatar?  Nice!

Riiiiight.

It's an assatar ... oy .... girls lost the Girls v Boys swim challenge so now we got to post our booties for the month of June (where is the embarassed icon when I need it)

2009-06-03 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2181100

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
GordoByrn - 2009-05-29 12:23 PM
mtntord - 2009-05-29 8:53 AM I'm not great at any of the sports, but I have a good sense of them now as far as pacing and ability to go for 30-45 minutes running and swimming and longer biking.  What is the next step? Should I be working some skill drills or any other variation or just work on adding volume when I can? 

If you post your basic training week then I would be happy to look at your schedule.

Ok, finally some time to sit until the family gets home.  Gordo has your/your wife's training planning changed significantly since you became a dad? I didn't train regularly before, but I certainly take rest days when I don't plan to becuase by the time I am free to go I am exausted from the already.

So here is a typical week for now. Most training revolves around running or biking somewhere ie Saturday run to the Farmers Market. Slow runs are run/walk with my wife who is just starting to run. I push the jogger with an average HR of 130 so still pretty good. I've also been logging all my training for the last couple months. Let me know if you can't see it.

Sunday - slow run 40 min
Monday - off
Tuesday - swim 40 min
Wednesday - run or bike 45 min
Thursday - swim 40 min
Friday - slow run 40 min
Saturday - run 30 min

My thoughts are that I need to start working in some longer bike/run sequences on the weekends.  Thanks.  Matthew

2009-06-03 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2190568

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
BabsVa - 2009-06-02 8:03 PM

Riiiiight.

It's an assatar ... oy .... girls lost the Girls v Boys swim challenge so now we got to post our booties for the month of June (where is the embarassed icon when I need it)

I'm not even going to go there.
2009-06-04 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2189624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-06-02 12:14 PM Hi All....I am doing fine and do really like the new coach I am working with now.  Been sitting in meetings for the last two days which is killing me! Thankfully I can check BT!

G
I am a few days away from my first 800y/29m/10K event.  My goal is to make it through the swim without blowing every ounce of glycogen I have stored.  How should I think about the bike and the run?  Is there a HR Zone I should work within on the bike to make sure I don't blow up on the run?  What about pacing for the run? I don't think I will be able to hold my 10K stand alone time, but what is reasonable?

Thanks
Suzy

I'd work backwards from the run -- what sort of effort do you think is reasonable for the run?  Then knock one "gear" (10 bpm) off that for the bike.  With the swim, start relaxed and simply get through it.

Keep the plan as simple as possible.  Key thing is staying relaxed on the swim and saving energy on the bike so you can run well.

2009-06-04 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2193188

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
mtntord - 2009-06-03 3:45 PM
GordoByrn - 2009-05-29 12:23 PM
mtntord - 2009-05-29 8:53 AM I'm not great at any of the sports, but I have a good sense of them now as far as pacing and ability to go for 30-45 minutes running and swimming and longer biking.  What is the next step? Should I be working some skill drills or any other variation or just work on adding volume when I can? 

If you post your basic training week then I would be happy to look at your schedule.

Ok, finally some time to sit until the family gets home.  Gordo has your/your wife's training planning changed significantly since you became a dad? I didn't train regularly before, but I certainly take rest days when I don't plan to becuase by the time I am free to go I am exausted from the already.

So here is a typical week for now. Most training revolves around running or biking somewhere ie Saturday run to the Farmers Market. Slow runs are run/walk with my wife who is just starting to run. I push the jogger with an average HR of 130 so still pretty good. I've also been logging all my training for the last couple months. Let me know if you can't see it.

Sunday - slow run 40 min
Monday - off
Tuesday - swim 40 min
Wednesday - run or bike 45 min
Thursday - swim 40 min
Friday - slow run 40 min
Saturday - run 30 min

My thoughts are that I need to start working in some longer bike/run sequences on the weekends.  Thanks.  Matthew

Hey Matthew,

Yes, radical changes in our training schedules since the arrival of our daughter.

Those 130 bpm runs are useful -- I did a lot of that sort of training throughout my athletic career (all phases).

With your overall plan, I'd look to increase your cycling frequency.  

When convenient, build your endurance with the occasional day where you swim/bike/run (all three) -- that is a very specific form of endurance.  Just do them together -- great way to build overall endurance.

You can also build the length of your longest ride of the week (in weeks other than when you are doing a SBR endurance day).

So the main things...

1 - cycle twice a week
2 - build endurance with SBR days
3 - build endurance with longer bike days

As for skills/drills -- you should do all your training with your best technique.  My favorite "drill" is endurance training with best technique.

Overall volume, that's not all that practical with your schedule/life.  More reasonable is special event days where you SBR, or bike, longer.  Combine that with consistently applying your week -- you'll make progress. 

2009-06-04 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Wow Gordo that all just makes sense. Working with you has really helped me focus on why I got into triathlon in the first place and what I really want to get out of it. I'll work on adding those bike sessions. Once I start adding them in it will get easier as well.

As I start trying to add some longer sessions how should I set the length. I have heard not adding more then 10% a week.  I feel like I could do an hour run with the HRM and some recovery or some long mixed SBR days.  How do you suggest I start and limit myself so I don't get hurt?

Oh and I have been reading your blog over at Endurance Corner the pics of your daughter are quiet cute. And the landscapes make me want to move to CO.
2009-06-05 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2196230

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
mtntord - 2009-06-04 7:45 PM Wow Gordo that all just makes sense. Working with you has really helped me focus on why I got into triathlon in the first place and what I really want to get out of it. I'll work on adding those bike sessions. Once I start adding them in it will get easier as well.

As I start trying to add some longer sessions how should I set the length. I have heard not adding more then 10% a week.  I feel like I could do an hour run with the HRM and some recovery or some long mixed SBR days.  How do you suggest I start and limit myself so I don't get hurt?

Oh and I have been reading your blog over at Endurance Corner the pics of your daughter are quiet cute. And the landscapes make me want to move to CO.

Glad that you've been enjoying the blog.  I've enjoyed creating it over the last few years.

With the length the main thing to watch is running -- until you endurance is very well established, you want to be cautious with the running that you do following a long ride.  So for those SBR days, 15-20 minutes off the bike will be fine.  When you combine the swim/bike -- you don't need to be as cautious and you'll tolerate increased volume quite well.   Something like... total volume in minutes...

That would have you up around two hours at the end of the summer.  If your schedule permitted then you could throw in a special event where you go longer -- one of the nice things about the bike is that you can go "way long" pretty safely.

2009-06-07 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
G-

How much time should I spend in the pool practicing spotting?  In my first two OWS I feel like I have done a good job.  My race on the 28th is in the ocean though so we will see how that one goes.
2009-06-07 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2200182

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-06-07 12:25 PM G-

How much time should I spend in the pool practicing spotting?  In my first two OWS I feel like I have done a good job.  My race on the 28th is in the ocean though so we will see how that one goes.

The key skill to train is the ability to look forward without lifting the head up.  Think forward.  Once you have that mastered then you'll find that you don't need to practice.  Eyes forward, chin down.

Most of us aren't going to be leading so main thing is learning how to sit comfortably behind other swimmers.  Depending on your swim program, you either practice that constantly (NASCAR Swimming) or never (leaving with 10s gaps, fastest swimmers first).

Sounds like things went well for you -- watch two things... tendency to "stall", drop hips, look around // and // tendency to kick full blast when sighting -- both of these waste a lot of energy.

2009-06-07 3:46 PM

Expert

Well did my SBR Big Day! Here's how it went. I'm sure I'll have questions later:

Adjusted this to fit my race and schedule. Could not really find a venue for all three sports in the same place at an early hour so did the best I could.

Did the parking lot w/u, jumped in the pool, swam, drove about 20 minutes to ride site. Didn't get riding until about 30 minutes after I exited the pool so T1 was a bit long ;-) Attempted to down half a PBJ on the drive over but felt like I would barf - HR was high due to all the coffee? Nerves? Did not swim very hard at all ... Guzzled as much of my lemonade as I could before and during the ride. Forgot to add salt to it, DOH so it was just lemon juice, water and sugar.

Rode faster than I would pace it for the race - with a 10k looming best not to take it out on the bike but that's exactly what I did trying to keep up with the guys. We stopped for a couple minutes at the halfway point. Once we got back hugs and high fives all around and jumped into the car to drive 10 min to (hilly) Ridge Road.

Drank some Boost/coffee and started up the first hill on this very hilly gravel road - shady, thank goodness as it was approaching mid-80's by now. So, walked that first big hill. My legs were yelling at me for riding too fast but they did get going and after a half hour or so I was smiling and in my happy run place. The grass in the pastures is so green and luscious after all this rain you just want to eat it. Anyway, ran a bit slower than LSD pace (but keep in mind the terrain - it's a slow road) and walked as necessary on the hills and covered nearly 10K in about the time I estimated for the run.

Walked 3 miles back to the car c/d. Felt fine! It was hard though. 

About 30 min swim*, 1 hr 23 bike AHR 145, 1 hour 6 min run* AHR 145

* both distances shorted 

2009-06-07 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2193190

Expert

mtntord - 2009-06-03 5:46 PM
BabsVa - 2009-06-02 8:03 PM

Riiiiight.

I'm not even going to go there.

Yah. Just STAY AWAY from the Challenge Forum.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27