BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-06-25 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2072537

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =)
Sounds like a good idea.  Should we all post our "TT" sprint distance times by the end of June then we'll get them averaged and... TA DA!?

2009-06-25 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2241212

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Thanks guys!  I actually feel like I've been more of a slacker this month.

Competition sounds fun.  What distances are we using for SBR? 

WittyCityGirl - 2009-06-24 7:44 PM Okay folks!!! 

I've been playing nicey-nice with you all in your inspires.  Anyone need a little tougher love?  Just putting it out there... =)

So, let's see about a competition.  Someone mentioned a tri challenge.  I wonder if WE could challenge another mentor GROUP???  So, by the end of June (not too far from now)  we could see who has the fastest average for males & females in swim/bike/run for the month.

Thoughts?

p.s. I nominate Betsy0706 & RobbyN210 for being the group Studs of the Week (slash month) because of their good efforts in training.  When I was a collegiate swimmer, nothing felt better than to have my coach call me a stud.  It meant that I worked hard physically and mentally no matter what the outcome was.  Let's see who else jumps up to the plate!  (I know we're all giving our best here, so I'll be looking for the next male and female Stud!)
2009-06-25 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
And thanks for letting me know the sunglasses you have Sara.  Do they have a tendency to slide down when you sweat?   I will check them out.
2009-06-25 12:31 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I love me some competition!

Let me know whatever you guys decide on the competition thing, and yeah, I could use a kick in the butt ont he inspires!  I like the nice ones, but I need fuel! I am using the heat as an excuse to much lately, although a cold front is suppose to come through this weeknd with the highs only suppose to be around 92 or so!

2009-06-25 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2242282

User image

Master
Dunedin
Nope! No slidage!  The day after they came in the mail I did a 120+ mile bike ride on a sunny day.  They have practically no tint at all and I was fine.  I had my back to the sun most of the ride, though.  Since then I've worn them on all my rides with no problems at all. I give them two thumbs up.

Betsy0706 - 2009-06-25 11:03 AM And thanks for letting me know the sunglasses you have Sara.  Do they have a tendency to slide down when you sweat?   I will check them out.
2009-06-25 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
so what does everyone think about distances?  my typical sprint tri's are 500m swim, 20-25k bike, 5k run. 

and c'mon James...no whining about the heat!  thats my job, and we hit 105 today (and yesterday) with heat index of 110 and I still got out and biked! you said you wanted us to get tough with ya!

2009-06-26 2:33 AM
in reply to: #2241212

User image

Upstate NY
Thanks Smile

We will get to see all the hard work pay off tomorrow.

Thanks for all the well wishes and inspires, I'll be using them to push me through the last few miles of the run.

It is the day before the race, and I can't even sleep today!  (posting at 3:30a)  What am I going to be like Saturday morning??

WooooHoooo!

WittyCityGirl - 2009-06-24 8:44 PM Okay folks!!! 

I've been playing nicey-nice with you all in your inspires.  Anyone need a little tougher love?  Just putting it out there... =)

So, let's see about a competition.  Someone mentioned a tri challenge.  I wonder if WE could challenge another mentor GROUP???  So, by the end of June (not too far from now)  we could see who has the fastest average for males & females in swim/bike/run for the month.

Thoughts?

p.s. I nominate Betsy0706 & RobbyN210 for being the group Studs of the Week (slash month) because of their good efforts in training.  When I was a collegiate swimmer, nothing felt better than to have my coach call me a stud.  It meant that I worked hard physically and mentally no matter what the outcome was.  Let's see who else jumps up to the plate!  (I know we're all giving our best here, so I'll be looking for the next male and female Stud!)
2009-06-29 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Race report is up from yesterday.  Fun race but HOT!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=166684

Robert - how was yours? 
2009-06-29 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2249709

User image

Upstate NY

Hey Betsy just got mine up too...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=166944

It was a HUGE learning experience, I am so glad I am already signed up for another one at the end of August.  Now I know I can do it,  so I'll work on the things that limited to me and get ready for the next one.

Of course I wish I could have done better, but I need to remember that I actually finished, and when I compare to where I was
6 months ago, (just running my 2nd 1/2 marathon)
1 year ago (just after my first sprint tri),
14 months ago (1st 5k race ever) or
3 years ago (I was very overweight),
it is a HUGE deal. 

Thanks again everyone for all of your inspires!!!  I keep thinking about all of you during the bike/run. No way was I going to slow down or give up, and have to report to all of you and my friends and family that I didn't finish, that would have been worse then any of the pain I was feeling.

2009-06-30 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
i have been very lax in my blogging, apologies.  i just checked in and see that heat has become a source of complaining; you guys kill me.  i'm living in some kind of weather nightmare up here in boston with temps hitting high 50's to high 60's and rain everyday.  i'm not kidding.  it has rained almost every day in June and been really raw so stop whining about the heat and send some this way.

kudos to all who have succeeded in their recent competitions; you guys rock!
2009-06-30 2:31 PM

User image

Expert

Great races this weekend everyone! 

Mini-mussel is 18 ish days away, and I have to get my butt in gear. Between moving and traveling it's been tough to get the workouts in.  But we finally closed on our house (which we finally got completely empty and clean).   Now it's just box city.  Plus it's been raining constantly here, and cold, which hasn't made the workouts easy.  I'm planning on a treadmill run today at work.

2009-07-01 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
I'm stuck in similar weather conditions, too, with the rain, rain, rain and MORE rain.  Ugh!  Are there just two of us who will be in Geneva the 18-19th??  We should plan on meeting up!

Sorry that I dropped the ball on a little tri competition.  You know how it goes-work, training, sleeping...all that silly stuff that gets in the way! =)  SO, for July...  let's  post our best 500 yard (meter) time (I'll convert it both ways since we have a Canadian in tow who probably prefers his metric ways), 5k run and... what's normal for a sprint bike ride? I've done anywhere from 12-17 miles.   I'll inquire with other mentor group leaders if they'd like to challenge us.  We can take the average of the female times and male times separately and see if we can beat the males/females of other groups.

I see that you guys are doing a great job of sending inspires to each other-keep it up!  It helps keep the mojo going in the crap-tastic weather (rain or heat) that we're training through.

If you're finding other commitments that are vying for your time alongside training...look for ways to sneak in that little swim, bike or run... Something is better than nothing at all.  When volume is down, intensity GOES UP, UP, UP!!  Have fun out there folks!! 
2009-07-02 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2256223

User image

Expert

Yes! We should definately meet up.  I'll be there Saturday for the mini- probably not on Sunday. 

2009-07-02 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Have a fun and safe fourth of July everyone!  And get some training in!
2009-07-02 2:43 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Agreed, Happy 4th to everyone. Since I get Friday off, I am thinking of maybe running to the gym, getting a swim in and running home!

2009-07-02 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2258596

User image

Master
Dunedin
I'm pretty sure I'll be volunteering at a water station with other BT folks for the sprint, so we'll definitely be cheering you on, we'll just have to meet before hand somewhere so we know who to look for!
momandmd - 2009-07-02 1:23 PM

Yes! We should definately meet up.  I'll be there Saturday for the mini- probably not on Sunday. 

2009-07-04 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Cool, so how about 500 (y or m) swim, 15mi bike, 5k run? 

My most recent rough times for these distances:

9:30min swim
50min bike (I'm still running in my small chain ring only)
26min run

This way I'll have something to compare to at the end of the month.
2009-07-05 5:10 AM
in reply to: #2249709

User image

Extreme Veteran
Betsy0706 - 2009-06-29 9:53 AM Race report is up from yesterday.  Fun race but HOT!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=166684

Robert - how was yours? 

Wow what a great race!  Nice job! 
2009-07-05 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2261481

User image

Master
Dunedin
I'm at about a 7:14 swim, 50 min bike (but that might be generous!) and 24 min run.

Everyone else??

chichitao - 2009-07-04 12:24 PM Cool, so how about 500 (y or m) swim, 15mi bike, 5k run? 

My most recent rough times for these distances:

9:30min swim
50min bike (I'm still running in my small chain ring only)
26min run

This way I'll have something to compare to at the end of the month.
2009-07-05 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
So, I hope everyone had a GREAT weekend!

I'd like to share a workout I did today.  It was supposed to be 10 minutes bike/4 minutes run, repeat 8 times.  I did six, but still felt I could go all night.  I set up my bike on my indoor trainer on our front porch with my running shoes next to the bike.  Since I wasn't on the road, I didn't wear my helmet, but visualized putting it on/taking it off for the transition.  It was good to help me get thinking about "Do I want to go sockless?" "Do I really get annoyed that my leg rubs against my water bottle with EVERY stroke?" "Should I stick with my sunglasses for the run?" And so on.

Try it out!  You don't have to go so many times, or for as long as I did, but I think the 4 minute run is a good time to shoot for. I bet you could cut the bike down to 5 or 6 minutes and still get the same effect.  The point is to get your legs a little groggy to prep yourself for the transition to running. =
2009-07-06 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2263391

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

WittyCityGirl - 2009-07-05 8:42 PM So, I hope everyone had a GREAT weekend!

I'd like to share a workout I did today.  It was supposed to be 10 minutes bike/4 minutes run, repeat 8 times.  I did six, but still felt I could go all night.  I set up my bike on my indoor trainer on our front porch with my running shoes next to the bike.  Since I wasn't on the road, I didn't wear my helmet, but visualized putting it on/taking it off for the transition.  It was good to help me get thinking about "Do I want to go sockless?" "Do I really get annoyed that my leg rubs against my water bottle with EVERY stroke?" "Should I stick with my sunglasses for the run?" And so on.

Try it out!  You don't have to go so many times, or for as long as I did, but I think the 4 minute run is a good time to shoot for. I bet you could cut the bike down to 5 or 6 minutes and still get the same effect.  The point is to get your legs a little groggy to prep yourself for the transition to running. =

I think I am going to try this sometime this week, sounds like a good brick type of workout!

2009-07-06 9:23 PM

User image

Twin Falls, ID (not from here, I just live here)
I went out and drove the route my sprint will be on today, and have a few worries. Hopefully you guys can help...

The first 4 miles of the bike are really hilly, with a lot of little drops and then bigger climbs. Nothing too steep, but I'll be climbing out of a canyon and I'm worried that I won't be ready for those so soon after the swim. There aren't hills like that around here in Boise (unless I'm mtn biking, and I don't have a mtn bike for that) so I'm not sure how to prepare for that. Any suggestions?

Also, there are some stretches that are nicely shaded, but most of the run will be in the full sun, with temps expected in the high 90's. Since I haven't run like that before, how do you hydrate? Water? gatorade? Should most of this on the bike?

Thanks in advance for your advice! After checking out the route, I'm pretty confident, minus these two bumps, that I'm going to ROCK this. Yay!

2009-07-06 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2266218

User image

Master
Dunedin
Jessica,

When you first get on your bike on race day, decrease the resistance a lot and make it super easy for the first 5-10 minutes.  That'll get the blood circulating and help your heart rate slow down so you can recover and take in some water/nutrition.  On the hills, go cheesy easy up them and back pedal a little when you can (I even drop my heel sometimes to stretch the backs of my legs). 

In the mean time, you can certainly ride your bike at a harder resistance than you think you can.  You can do some one leg drills.

Any chance you can hit up a spinning class?  Getting those legs physically fit will help to...lunges, lunges, lunges, squats, squats, squats.

With nutrition, you got it-do it on the bike since you'll be able to absorb it better (but, practice nutrition during your training.  I'll bring a gel with me and take it about a half hour into the run just to get used to taste/texture).  Start hydrating WELL before your race day.  I have  a sprint  tri on Saturday and I should've started today making sure I drink water with breakfast/lunch/dinner and in between. PLUS, I bought LOTS of fruit for snacking this week (watermelon/cantaloupe/honeydew, etc are good ideas).  Personally, I know I lose a lot of water when I train/race (about 2 lbs/hour).  SO, some athletes have a salty meal the night before to retain some water.  I personally drink two Gatorades the night before a race and two in the morning.  Or, one water and one Gatorade in the morning.  Some people can't stomach the simple sugars in Gatorade in the heat.  I really recommend (REALLY recommend) watering down your Gatorade.  I say,  keep it 1/2 G'ade/water.  Anywhoo...DRINK AT ALL WATER STATIONS.  Wear a visor (a hat will just trap heat).  Wear sunglasses (some say it'll help you relax, I say, you don't quite feel like the sun is beating on you if you think it's "shadier" out).

Hopefully that helps!

jae.miles - 2009-07-06 10:23 PM I went out and drove the route my sprint will be on today, and have a few worries. Hopefully you guys can help...

The first 4 miles of the bike are really hilly, with a lot of little drops and then bigger climbs. Nothing too steep, but I'll be climbing out of a canyon and I'm worried that I won't be ready for those so soon after the swim. There aren't hills like that around here in Boise (unless I'm mtn biking, and I don't have a mtn bike for that) so I'm not sure how to prepare for that. Any suggestions?

Also, there are some stretches that are nicely shaded, but most of the run will be in the full sun, with temps expected in the high 90's. Since I haven't run like that before, how do you hydrate? Water? gatorade? Should most of this on the bike?

Thanks in advance for your advice! After checking out the route, I'm pretty confident, minus these two bumps, that I'm going to ROCK this. Yay!

2009-07-07 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2266291

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

WittyCityGirl - 2009-07-06 10:02 PM Jessica,

When you first get on your bike on race day, decrease the resistance a lot and make it super easy for the first 5-10 minutes.  That'll get the blood circulating and help your heart rate slow down so you can recover and take in some water/nutrition.  On the hills, go cheesy easy up them and back pedal a little when you can (I even drop my heel sometimes to stretch the backs of my legs). 

In the mean time, you can certainly ride your bike at a harder resistance than you think you can.  You can do some one leg drills.

Any chance you can hit up a spinning class?  Getting those legs physically fit will help to...lunges, lunges, lunges, squats, squats, squats.

With nutrition, you got it-do it on the bike since you'll be able to absorb it better (but, practice nutrition during your training.  I'll bring a gel with me and take it about a half hour into the run just to get used to taste/texture).  Start hydrating WELL before your race day.  I have  a sprint  tri on Saturday and I should've started today making sure I drink water with breakfast/lunch/dinner and in between. PLUS, I bought LOTS of fruit for snacking this week (watermelon/cantaloupe/honeydew, etc are good ideas).  Personally, I know I lose a lot of water when I train/race (about 2 lbs/hour).  SO, some athletes have a salty meal the night before to retain some water.  I personally drink two Gatorades the night before a race and two in the morning.  Or, one water and one Gatorade in the morning.  Some people can't stomach the simple sugars in Gatorade in the heat.  I really recommend (REALLY recommend) watering down your Gatorade.  I say,  keep it 1/2 G'ade/water.  Anywhoo...DRINK AT ALL WATER STATIONS.  Wear a visor (a hat will just trap heat).  Wear sunglasses (some say it'll help you relax, I say, you don't quite feel like the sun is beating on you if you think it's "shadier" out).

Hopefully that helps!

jae.miles - 2009-07-06 10:23 PM I went out and drove the route my sprint will be on today, and have a few worries. Hopefully you guys can help...

x2

I always forget to have my bike in a low easy gear when taking off and I have been burned on hills at the beginning because of it. I have even had to jump off my bike and run it up a hill because I knew changing gears on the hill would pop my chain. Nothing worse (in my opinion) than for me to have to run my bike up the opening hill of a race!  lol

2009-07-07 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
So my guess- timates for distances are:

500 meters - 11:15 (much slower if it's OW)
15 miles - 47:20 (I figure I can at least hold 19mph)
5K - 25:41
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =) Rss Feed  

of 23