BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-05-12 10:52 PM
in reply to: #2147360

User image

Veteran
North Central WA
Subject: RE: RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL!

yogachic - 2009-05-12 8:37 PM I got off work late again today, and by the time I got to Fleet Feet, picked up my packet & other items, it was already 8pm, and I had dinner plans for 8:30. So yeah, I skipped my run this evening. I'm not sure if it's a horrible idea to be skipping workouts right before a race, but I don't want to get too worked up about it and try to make it up so close to race time.

Anyways, the good news is I have my packet! It has my timing chip, bib, bike number, a whole bunch of ties, straps, & safety pins (that I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do with yet), a swim cap, a whole bunch of brochures and coupons, 2 plastic bags to put my stuff in for the transitions, a shirt, a first aid kit, some bandages, some sort of pain reliever medicine, and a partridge and a pear tree! Part of me wants to dump everything out and play with it, but then I'm afraid I'll lose something important. So I'll probably do that on the car ride on the way to Galena on Friday. . . It'll give me something to do during the road trip Tongue out

I'm getting excited for the weekend. We just got our housing assignments & carpooling figured out yesterday. It almost feels like I'm a kid going away to summer camp!

It's not horrible to skip some before a race. You'll have a better race if you're rested anyway. The majority of your training has already been done and you're not going to lose it this close to the race. It's kinda like studying for a test. Your body is going to remember all the studying (training) you've been doing in the previous months & weeks. Cramming at the end only makes you tired and cranky.

I would guess the ties, straps & safety pins are for attaching the bib & bike number to their respective places.

I love race packets. They're full of such surprises...some good, others not so much. The "not so much" is what I give to my 4 yr old and he thinks its amazing.

Edited by lghays 2009-05-12 10:53 PM

2009-05-12 11:32 PM
in reply to: #2146102

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
RunningJayhawk - 2009-05-12 12:20 PM

calimavs - 2009-05-11 6:48 PM
My husband and I are planning on riding loops in Golden Gate Park (the "central park" of SF) this coming weekend so I can work on getting up speed on the flats. Other than that the plan this week is to try and add in another swim workout. I want to see if I can do each discipline 2x a week. Getting in 2 bikes and 2 runs is no problem but the swimming is harder since it tires me out and leaves me so useless afterward. We'll see if my boss notices that I'm gone during lunch 2x this week rather than 1x!

What?! There are flat stretches in SF!? You had me fooled!! What days are you planning on swimming?

Haha. Yes, believe it or not there are some flat areas here in SF. We will have to bike up a big hill to get to the park though. At least I know I'm getting in a lot of hill training!

Tonight I decided that I'm going to try swimming on Wednesdays and Fridays. Wednesday is my usual swim day, and my boss is used to me taking off during lunch to go to the pool. Since I go during lunch I don't have a lot of time so that will be my short swim workout. I'm going to try to add in a long swim on Friday nights after work when I'm relaxed and have more time to do drills and longer distances without being rushed.

Today I was toying with the idea of adding two more races to the schedule this season. I'm doing well in my training and think I could totally be ready for a race before Chicago in August. There is a small local sprint called the Tiburon Triathlon that is a bit shorter than the Chicago race at the end of July that I think I might sign up for. I feel like I want to get one tri under my belt before Chicago so that I stress less and enjoy my trip and the experience of racing with TONS of people. There is another local all women's sprint in September that I'm considering as well. I figure I'm doing all this training, I might as well get some more racing in! I'll let everyone know what I end up deciding.
2009-05-13 4:47 AM
in reply to: #2081113

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Good morning all-

I didn't get to do my trainer work last night.  Chose to hit the grocery instead...we just can't seem to give up that eating habit...

I'm getting ready to hit the trainer this morning while most of the family's still asleep.  I've got one kid sick, home from school today and of course, I'm obsessing over whether it could be H1N1.  I have school outreach this morning, a very challenging visit.  I get to introduce storytelling techniques to kids who aren't quite able to be mainstreamed, reading abilities varying between 1st grade to High School, social abilities around 3rd grade.  Teaching kids how to storytell can be stressful to shy kids anyway.  The variance in abilities here has me really nervous how to tune my teaching and performances.  To top it all off, today is the rumored lay-off day for my husband's office.  15-20% says the rumor mill...

Let's hope the workout endorphins can carry me through this day.  I want to just pull the covers over my head and hide from the world.
2009-05-13 6:39 AM

User image

Regina, Sk

As promised I got a run in yesterday.  Felt good to have the feet hit the pavement again but now the bottom of my foot hurts.  Not too serious but I will have to monitor this
I also went to this Swimplan.com place you have all been raving about, and got a example of a swim plan for beginners.  I will try it out today and see how it goes.

Have  good one.

Alan

2009-05-13 9:03 AM

User image

Austin, Texas
At the pool yesterday, I was actually able to find my "sweet spot" and practice active balance.  Barb-I think the skewer suggestion did the trick.  This is so encouraging. 

And this morning I went for my first run with my new Garmin 405 and really like it.  I can't wait to play with all the features.  Tomorrow I'll test it on my ride to work too.
2009-05-13 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2147483

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
I survived my school visit and layoffs are not today, at least.  I'll try to get back to my plan with a 30min run tonight after work.

Cheryl

2009-05-13 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2147407

User image

Expert
calimavs - 2009-05-12 11:32 PM
Today I was toying with the idea of adding two more races to the schedule this season. I'm doing well in my training and think I could totally be ready for a race before Chicago in August. There is a small local sprint called the Tiburon Triathlon that is a bit shorter than the Chicago race at the end of July that I think I might sign up for. I feel like I want to get one tri under my belt before Chicago so that I stress less and enjoy my trip and the experience of racing with TONS of people. There is another local all women's sprint in September that I'm considering as well. I figure I'm doing all this training, I might as well get some more racing in! I'll let everyone know what I end up deciding.

I think you should do them both!  I was originally only going to sign up for the Chicago, but a friend of mine who's been tri-ing for years recommended that I should do a smaller race before Chicago.  She said that since there are just so many people, the logistics can be confusing if you've never done a tri before.  Which is why I planned on doing Bigfoot.  Then I caught the tri bug and decided to register for Galena too Wink  Especially since you're travelling to Chicago specifically for the race, I'd imagine it'd be even more nerve-wracking if that was your first and only race of the season!
2009-05-13 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Lara - That's what I figured.  I'm thinking of getting a swim in tomorrow and some more yoga.  If nothing else, I'll be super well rested come Saturday!  Good analogy with the studying. . . I know I always did better when I rested before an exam, rather than when I pulled all-nighters!

I think it's funny my racing packet contained a first aid kit, band-aids, and pain reliever.  Are they trying to tell me something?? Surprised

Cheryl - Glad you're making it through the day.  Lay-off talk is scary business!!  At least you don't have to deal with that today.

Alan - Good luck with the swim plan!  I love that site!!
2009-05-13 10:14 AM

User image

New user
Sandusky
speaking of studying, I have my last final exam tonight! I'd probably classify myself in the "cramming" and "all-nighter" studier.  This does not translate to my tri-training! haha

and once I am done with my exam I can focus more on training.  I'm so ready to be done!

wish me luck tonight, I think I'm going to need it!Laughing

p.s. today is a rest day for me as far as training goes.
2009-05-13 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2148116

User image

Expert
erin.kelsey - 2009-05-13 10:14 AM speaking of studying, I have my last final exam tonight! I'd probably classify myself in the "cramming" and "all-nighter" studier.  This does not translate to my tri-training! haha

and once I am done with my exam I can focus more on training.  I'm so ready to be done!

Good luck on your test!!  I definitely was guilty of that, too - no fun Frown  I'm sure you'll do great, though!!
2009-05-13 11:44 AM

Extreme Veteran

Good luck, tonight, Erin! I bet you are excited about finally being finished. I'm counting the days until summer, myself... sometimes I wonder who likes vacation more...students or teachers. Laughing

Today is a day in the pool. I'm going to amp it up and go for 1800 today. Found some good drills including 10x100 @ 1:40 w/ 20" rest intervals...it should be a nice challenge!

2009-05-13 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
erin.kelsey - 2009-05-13 10:14 AM

speaking of studying, I have my last final exam tonight! I'd probably classify myself in the "cramming" and "all-nighter" studier.  This does not translate to my tri-training! haha

Good luck on your test!
2009-05-13 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Every had one of those days where by 10am you know you should have called in sick?

That's about how *awesome* my day is going right now.

Plus I'm ten shades of crazy lady hormonal which isn't helping my case. And the looming rain clouds are just making me git right foul. Hopefully this evening's tempo run will snap me out of it.

Dena, I'm glad the skewer analogy helped you mentally figure out how to find the sweet spot.

And Missy...Galena does give a bunch of stuff. You'll have one bag at both T1 and T2...so if you wanted to go ahead and divide all your bike and run stuff in to put in each bag you could. How do the shirts look this year? As for the first aid stuff...it's like an ironic warning of the pending visit to the pain shop (I'm totally kidding!!!)

Alan, let us know what you think of SwimPlan.com!! The more time you spend on any of the disciplines, the more comfortable and faster you'll gradually become. Keep it up!!

Margot, I love the plan of trying to get another tri or two on your calendar, especially the one before Chicago. It'll give you an opportunity to practice transitions under pressure and set a benchmark for how the Chicago Tri will go down. And good call moving around the swims so you have more time to focus on drills!

Cheryl - I'm glad you're unaffected by the layoffs so far. Working in this economy can be really stressful. In advertising we're finding that more and more clients are starting to spend less on marketing efforts...which hits us hard. Lucky for me, my client is a discount retailer, so it hasn't affected us as extremely as some other teams and agencies. The school visit stuff sounds really interesting, too!! Hope your run goes well this evening!

Tif - 10x100 at 1:40!?! *AWESOME* You're going to rock that workout hardcore.

And Erin...GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR LAST EXAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-05-13 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

I woke up this morning with a sinus headache.  I think yesterday's wind really stirred things up.  But I got my belated Mother's day gift and was allowed to sleep in.  It was so nice.

I think swimming is great for any kind of head congestion.  I went to the pool with a headache and felt stuffy.  Then came out feeling pretty normal.  Must be all the blowing out through the nose.  I know that's gross.  The stuffiness is slowly coming back this afternoon, oh well.

Got a pretty good swim in.  It was a mid-distance for me of 1475 yds.  I included a 5' time trial so I can give Swimplan.com a try. 

Something I thought about today.  I always feel skinnier after swimming.  Weird but I think it must be from reaching out and lengthening my torso while swimming (and the lack of pounding on the ground).  So that when I get out of the water I'm standing straighter.  I tend to slouch.

The rest of the day has been about unpacking, doing laundry & cleaning up.  Ugh!

2009-05-13 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

erin.kelsey - 2009-05-13 8:14 AM speaking of studying, I have my last final exam tonight! I'd probably classify myself in the "cramming" and "all-nighter" studier. This does not translate to my tri-training! haha

and once I am done with my exam I can focus more on training. I'm so ready to be done!

Good luck!

2009-05-13 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
I swam today too, and I decided to try out Swimplan.com and I'm a convert! It was great! I haven't had a chance to do the 5 minute timed trial but it still gave me a really good 1,000 meter plan that I followed.

It was my first time doing drills and the ones they gave me synched up well with what I've been reading in Total Immersion. I felt like I was going to drown when I first tried the catch up drill but I got better by the end and I noticed a HUGE improvement in my form in the laps I did following the drill. Something clicked and I'm very happy about that.

Stupid swimming logistics question for the group: When you have a specific written down workout to do, do you memorize it or bring something with you to the pool to help you follow along? I brought a printout of the plan totally realizing and intending that it would get soaked and left it by the side of the pool with my kick board and pull buoy. Someone ended up picking it up and moving it over to the side when I was at the other end of the pool. So I ended up bringing it back and setting it directly on my kick board so no one would touch it. I think I need to get one of those plastic sheet protectors or something.

Am I breaking some unwritten rule that I don't know about by bringing my workout written down to the pool with me?

2009-05-13 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2149358

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

calimavs - 2009-05-13 4:26 PM I swam today too, and I decided to try out Swimplan.com and I'm a convert! It was great! I haven't had a chance to do the 5 minute timed trial but it still gave me a really good 1,000 meter plan that I followed. It was my first time doing drills and the ones they gave me synched up well with what I've been reading in Total Immersion. I felt like I was going to drown when I first tried the catch up drill but I got better by the end and I noticed a HUGE improvement in my form in the laps I did following the drill. Something clicked and I'm very happy about that. Stupid swimming logistics question for the group: When you have a specific written down workout to do, do you memorize it or bring something with you to the pool to help you follow along? I brought a printout of the plan totally realizing and intending that it would get soaked and left it by the side of the pool with my kick board and pull buoy. Someone ended up picking it up and moving it over to the side when I was at the other end of the pool. So I ended up bringing it back and setting it directly on my kick board so no one would touch it. I think I need to get one of those plastic sheet protectors or something. Am I breaking some unwritten rule that I don't know about by bringing my workout written down to the pool with me?

I don't think you're breaking any rules 'cause I do this every time.  Although it stumped me until just a couple of months ago.  Now I write down the workout on a small piece of paper and put it in a sandwich sized ziploc baggie along with my inhaler.  The little bag sits at the end of the lane I'm in along with whatever gear I have that day and my flip-flops.  I haven't had a problem with anything being moved.

2009-05-13 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2149363

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
lghays - 2009-05-13 6:33 PM

I don't think you're breaking any rules 'cause I do this every time.  Although it stumped me until just a couple of months ago.  Now I write down the workout on a small piece of paper and put it in a sandwich sized ziploc baggie along with my inhaler.  The little bag sits at the end of the lane I'm in along with whatever gear I have that day and my flip-flops.  I haven't had a problem with anything being moved.

Oh that's a fabulous idea! Thanks!
2009-05-13 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2149363

User image

Regina, Sk
lghays - 2009-05-13 5:33 PM  Now I write down the workout on a small piece of paper and put it in a sandwich sized ziploc baggie along with my inhaler. 

Exactly what I did today.  Worked great.  I have not got a plan yet but the example plan I tried today was good. I swam further then I ever have and I felt good at the end. I will look into getting a more personalized plan. 

I also found a resource I didn't know I had.  A guy I used to work with called me up to ask if I wanted to buy a wet suit for my upcoming Tri.  Turns out he is doing 4 sprints this year and possibly an Olympic distance.  Man, don't I wish I was still in that office so I could pick his brain.

Tomorrow is the real test for me and my wife.  My wifes sister and her husband are coming through town.  God love 'em but they are kriptonite for us.  We always end up over eating when they are around.  So it is time to put our convictions to the test.  Can we just eat a couple of peices of pizza and one or two beer or will we crumble and be gluttens?  Wish me luck folks.  I am already planning a run for Friday so I know I have to keep my head.
Cheers,
Alan
2009-05-13 8:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
Must have been international swim day for everyone! Laughing

I will admit I was thinking my original plan to swim 10x100 @ 1:40 was a little lofty, but I didn't want to back down from the challenge - plus I needed to regain some swimming confidence after I was let down in my swim performance at the tri on Sunday. My splits are below...ended up doing 9x100 because we had some drama with the swim team that came in to practice (it was not posted anywhere and we have been told that it's first come-first served as far as lanes are concerned...the good news is that the pool manager is about to lay the smack down ((hopefully)) on their inconsistent practice times and their "bullying" anyone who is in a lane when they get there)

9x100 splits:
1:32.93
1:38.98
1:37.xx (* estimated because apparently I didn't hit the split after the drama, so I averaged the one lengthy split time)
1:37.xx (*)
1:39.20
1:37.82
1:38.53
1:40.85
1:44.11
2009-05-13 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2149513

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

roadrhino - 2009-05-13 6:12 PM Must have been international swim day for everyone! Laughing

I will admit I was thinking my original plan to swim 10x100 @ 1:40 was a little lofty, but I didn't want to back down from the challenge - plus I needed to regain some swimming confidence after I was let down in my swim performance at the tri on Sunday. My splits are below...ended up doing 9x100 because we had some drama with the swim team that came in to practice (it was not posted anywhere and we have been told that it's first come-first served as far as lanes are concerned...the good news is that the pool manager is about to lay the smack down ((hopefully)) on their inconsistent practice times and their "bullying" anyone who is in a lane when they get there)

9x100 splits:
1:32.93
1:38.98
1:37.xx (* estimated because apparently I didn't hit the split after the drama, so I averaged the one lengthy split time)
1:37.xx (*)
1:39.20
1:37.82
1:38.53
1:40.85
1:44.11

That's awesome!  How much rest did you have between each 100?

2009-05-13 10:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Thank you! I took 20" between intervals, except there was a little longer span when all the drama happened.
2009-05-14 12:24 AM
in reply to: #2149358

User image

Expert
calimavs - 2009-05-13 6:26 PM
When you have a specific written down workout to do, do you memorize it or bring something with you to the pool to help you follow along? I brought a printout of the plan totally realizing and intending that it would get soaked and left it by the side of the pool with my kick board and pull buoy. Someone ended up picking it up and moving it over to the side when I was at the other end of the pool. So I ended up bringing it back and setting it directly on my kick board so no one would touch it. I think I need to get one of those plastic sheet protectors or something. Am I breaking some unwritten rule that I don't know about by bringing my workout written down to the pool with me?

What I do is print out my plan on a sheet of paper, and grab an extra kickboard when I get to the pool.  I wet the paper completely and stick it on the kickboard so that it kind of acts like a clipboard.  I keep it next to my water bottle & any other accessories I have.  Sometimes I'll stand the kickboard up against something so it's obvious that it's a plan.  I've never had any problems with people moving my stuff, and I've done that for years (even in college).  It sounds like you did something similar, so I don't know what someone would just move it without asking.
2009-05-14 8:53 AM

Regular
I went to Master's swim last night. The coach was nice and did make a few suggestions. All the other swimmers were way more advanced(swimming 4000 yds). I did what I could and didn't feel like anyone was judging. I'm just not sure that one or two pointers will make a difference. I'm thinking that I should get private lessons. The pointers were to keep my chin tucked and to move my arms like if you were propelling on a surf board and not crossing your arms under water beneath your stomach. Just signed up for a great run event in Philadelpia. It is a five person team event where you each run 8.4 mile laps within 24 hours. We've signed up for the Gold which means each team member runs three laps (25.2 miles) within 24 hours. Looks like everyone is really practicing their swimming. Keep up the good work

Denise
2009-05-14 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2148566

User image

Expert
RunningJayhawk - 2009-05-13 12:41 PM
And Missy...Galena does give a bunch of stuff. You'll have one bag at both T1 and T2...so if you wanted to go ahead and divide all your bike and run stuff in to put in each bag you could. How do the shirts look this year? As for the first aid stuff...it's like an ironic warning of the pending visit to the pain shop (I'm totally kidding!!!)

I'm leaving for Galena tomorrow, so I'll spend some time pre-packing my T1 and T2 bags tonight.  The pre-race jitters are starting to hit me!!  And since I've been so busy this week, it's gone by way faster than expected!  I haven't gotten in any workouts beside yoga since I've been staying at work late & then having stuff to do after work, so that's making me a little nervous (that, and working out de-stresses me, so I haven't had that outlet).  I'll try to get a run in after work, then some yoga.

The shirts are white, long sleeves, with the logo for the Galena tri on front.  The back has all the sponsors on it.  I'll probably wear it on Monday after the race so everyone remembers to congratulate me ;-)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 26