BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-06-30 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2099961

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again!
looks cool! have fun!  OWS is a little scary at first, but overall, much more fun than swimming in the pool.

2009-06-30 11:13 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Well, just got back from Tahoe....  Not really sure what happened on the swim.  It started well, but I became really short of breath after about 300m.  I've always breathed every 3 strokes, but rapidly decreased to every other stroke, to having to backstroke part of the swim.  I've been trying to figure out if it was the elevation, water temp, or both?

Luckily, I had a strong ride and run.  I'm very excited that I finished 6th overall and 2nd in my age group.

Anyways, without a doubt, I will be working on the OWS since I have another race in August in Lake Tahoe!
2009-06-30 11:31 PM
in reply to: #2254919

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
brick94513 - 2009-06-30 9:13 PM Well, just got back from Tahoe....  Not really sure what happened on the swim.  It started well, but I became really short of breath after about 300m.  I've always breathed every 3 strokes, but rapidly decreased to every other stroke, to having to backstroke part of the swim.  I've been trying to figure out if it was the elevation, water temp, or both?

Luckily, I had a strong ride and run.  I'm very excited that I finished 6th overall and 2nd in my age group.

Anyways, without a doubt, I will be working on the OWS since I have another race in August in Lake Tahoe!

Awesome results!! way to survive the swim and throw down on the rest of the race!  have you had much OWS practice? a lot of the shortness of breath could just be due to being nervous - OWS is nerve racking when you haven't done it - since you can't see and stuff. . great job though!
2009-07-01 1:44 AM
in reply to: #2254919

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Fantastic results!  Congratulations.  I'm very nervous about swimming across the lake today so I'm guessing your swim was a struggle of nerves and altitude.  I hope I don't have the same problem, but you should be very happy with your results.

Mike -  This swim is just a social event, if you can call swimming across a lake a social event.   There's no pressure to compete - hence, the breaststroke, I guess.  I, too, wonder what that gruel is that they're serving up.  The race is in the afternoon and evening so I'm guessing that it's ...ummm...gruel.

Way to go, Tim!
2009-07-02 1:27 AM
in reply to: #2254982

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
I chickened out on the OWS yesterday.  I've never gone 1450 meters before and I couldn't get anyone to go with me.  I know...there were about 500 other people out there in the water, but somehow I couldn't get up the nerve to swim across an entire lake.  I think I'll start with another lake this weekend.

2009-07-02 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
not a bad plan to get a little OWS experience before doing your longest swim, the first time out

2009-07-03 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2257482

User image

Modesto, California
fleetfeet_ch - 2009-07-01 11:27 PM I chickened out on the OWS yesterday.  I've never gone 1450 meters before and I couldn't get anyone to go with me.  I know...there were about 500 other people out there in the water, but somehow I couldn't get up the nerve to swim across an entire lake.  I think I'll start with another lake this weekend.

I would have done it just to see what everyone was laughing about(evident by the video)!
The more you go out and swim the more confidence you will build,even if its much shorter distances!
2009-07-03 10:14 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Darn, vacation is over and back to work tomarrow....

Laura, to answer your question about pedaling and cadence, check out this video: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1714

I found that stationary bikes and cadence counters worked well to help me ingrain the feeling of different pedal speeds.  After plenty of time in the saddle, you will learn your ideal pedal speed.

As for your shifting, I find it easier to move across my rear derailleur rather than my front.  Also, I try to stay out of the extreme positions (largest/smallest) in the rear, so when I do have to shift in the front, I'm in a more favorable position.  One more point, always try to be in the correct front ring for the climb ahead.  It is much easier on the bike and you to only try and shift through the rear when on a climb.

Hope that helps.
2009-07-04 6:16 AM
in reply to: #2260914

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Yes, that helps a lot! I'll try it next time out.Boy is it hot and sunny here today.
2009-07-05 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2261100

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Another question about biking...it dawned on me that I'm spending a lot of time worrying about how I will handle the crush of swimmers in the triathlon but have no clue what to expect during the bike portion of the race.  With the Tour de France starting soon, I have begun to dream of a peloton, filled with crashing riders.  I'm sure our little race won't be like that, but then again, the Swiss love to cycle and they're much more experienced than I.  

What should I prepare myself for in terms of a crowd, working with the crowd, etc.  What are the triathlon ethics during the cycle? Do I only pass on the right, do I announce myself as I'm passing, do I stop and help someone up if they crash?  Will anyone help me?

Inquiring minds... 
2009-07-05 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
While my experience has been limited to mountain bike racing, here's my perspective:

The biggest class I've raced has been around 150 riders.  So, while at first you are bunch together, the pack thins quickly unlike what you are seeing in the Tour.  Also, remember, everyone will becoming out of transition at slightly different times staggering the field.  In mountain biking, the biggest congestion occurs on the single track, but this shouldn't be a problem on the road.

I've never worried about which side I pass on.  My thought is just to allow enough room so you don't interfere with the other riders line.  I've been passed numerous time where the other rider actually rubs my front tire.  It pisses the hell out of me!

As for stopping, its a race.  I wouldn't stop for people having mechanical problems.  However, when I see someone crash, I always make sure they are alright before proceeding.  I would never leave someone injured on the course.

Bottom line:  treat other participants as you would want to be treated!

2009-07-05 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
with regards to biking during a tri - there are several things to take into consideration.  all triathlon's (with exception of ITU racing) is not-draft legal.  that means that people will not be riding like you see on TV - in peletons and packs.  typically, the rule is 3 bike lengths or 10 meters or something like that (between bikers).  you can get a penalty if you are too close (drafting penalty), but it really is pretty easy to make sure you are not too close.  go on www.youtube.com and check out some ironman bike rides or something and you will see what the riding looks like.  i typically don't say 'on your left' unless it is a sketchy spot.  i usually just say 'good job' as i ride  by
2009-07-06 12:57 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

OK. Doing what Mike suggested and stopping by.   I don't know how to word this, but on Wednesday I became a victim of a terrible crime. Won't go into too much detail but as of now I am recovering and healing. Physically and emotionally.  I need to keep myself sane also so chatting is going to be #1 issue for me.  Just so you know. I'm not looking for any sympathy but just more of a helping hand to get me through this.

So today I signed up for a 1.5 mile swim across Lake Washington. Did this last year. Fantastic, and a 65 mile bike ride in September.  Both cost only $75 and that includes transport (in the lake swim) food and a t-shirt. So I'm quite chuffed. Gives me something positive to focus on too.   Right now I'm awaing the arrival on my parents from Scotland. They arrive next Monday!  I had a lot of things planned to do in my house but alas, did not happen! So I'll be a bit frantic this week. 

I can't run or bike just yet, only allowed to swim and slowly at that...which is hard for me. hehe.

So I hope you all had a great 4th, those that celebrated it. I did get to a spot where I watch a set of 4 parks set of fireworks. It was really quite incredible.

What's everyone's plans for the week?

2009-07-06 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
hope you feel better day by day Lynne!  what part of lake washington is the swim at?  I think it would be fun to swim across the lake - it can get pretty choppy though.  I'm glad to hear that you got to watch a bunch of good fireworks - i was in Oregon for the 4th, so i didn't get to see the seattle fireworks. 

this week is looking to be crazy for me.. we shall see how i hold up.  my left quad is kind of hurting today, so i will take it easy and make sure to stretch and use the foam roller a lot. 
2009-07-06 1:06 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

It's from Matthews Beach Park to O.O Denny and is put on by Everyday Athlete in Kirkland. The police are involved as well as tons of volunteers and it is extremely choppy!!! One of the kayakers got tossed out last year.

2009-07-06 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2265045

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Welcome back Lynne.  Missing your womanly words of wisdom.  Hope you get back to your training soon.

Laura

2009-07-06 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Lynne, wish the best and good luck in the swim.

Question about trail running:  How do you guys handle the downhill?  Today, I faced some pretty steep declines (probably in the 10% range).  I approached these by trying to keep my weight back, feet low to the groung, and focus on heel landings.  It kind of felt like I was shuffling my feet.  But, I still had pretty heavy jarring in my knees.

Does this sound right?  Any advice would be appreciated!
2009-07-06 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2265516

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
brick94513 - 2009-07-06 1:35 PM Lynne, wish the best and good luck in the swim.

Question about trail running:  How do you guys handle the downhill?  Today, I faced some pretty steep declines (probably in the 10% range).  I approached these by trying to keep my weight back, feet low to the groung, and focus on heel landings.  It kind of felt like I was shuffling my feet.  But, I still had pretty heavy jarring in my knees.

Does this sound right?  Any advice would be appreciated!

10% = steep. . i don't think there is any good way to handle this, other then the shuffling you said.  first and foremost is make sure you have good foot placement so you don't fall. . i wouldn't worry about trying to go fast on the downhill, as it is more dangerous then it is worth!
2009-07-07 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2265516

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
I know this sounds crazy, but I sometimes go down steep hills sideways!  Especially if I've been moving pretty fast, switching to a sideways shuffle saves my knees and gets me down the hill very fast.  I don't know if I'd do it in a race but it sure is great in a training run and not bad for the hip movement either!
2009-07-07 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2268303

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
fleetfeet_ch - 2009-07-07 1:30 PM I know this sounds crazy, but I sometimes go down steep hills sideways!  Especially if I've been moving pretty fast, switching to a sideways shuffle saves my knees and gets me down the hill very fast.  I don't know if I'd do it in a race but it sure is great in a training run and not bad for the hip movement either!

agree, i have done the same thing while hiking.  . and Chi running sort of alludes to running slightly sideways down hills.
2009-07-07 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2268314

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
I cannot get into this Chi running book!  I don't know what it is, but I keep waiting until I get to something revolutionary and it just isn't there!  What have you gotten from it that you couldn't figure out yourself?

Another question about a looming injury.  I was in the weight room today and felt an ominous tightness in my left knee.  I don't normally have knee problems, but by the time I finished my workout and got home, I was unable to put my weight on it to go up stairs.  There's all kinds of grinding going on in there.  I iced it, elevated it, took some ibuprofen and cancelled my bike workout for the day so I could stay off my feet, but I'm worried.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Should I spend the next week swimming only and wait a while on the bike and run? 

2009-07-07 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
 i know i had problems w/runner's knee last year - it was a similar thing where it never hurt, until about mile 10.5 of my 11 mile run (which was the longest to date at the time) - about 2 weeks before my first half marathon.  i was worried, and iced it a bunch - but i ended up getting a patella strap at k-mart for $14 and it did the trick.  i don't know if what you are experiencing is the same thing - check out google and read about the symptoms and see if it sounds like what you are feeling. 
2009-07-07 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2268314

User image

Modesto, California
During the Chi Run Workshop this past weekend we practiced this, also running straight down and kicking legs back.
Running uphill, we would pump our arms straight up forcefully. Another uphill method was to run sideways for four strides with right foot lead, rotate,four strides with left foot lead, only pumping arm facing downhill.
2009-07-07 4:34 PM
in reply to: #2268338

User image

Modesto, California
fleetfeet_ch - 2009-07-07 1:37 PM I cannot get into this Chi running book!  I don't know what it is, but I keep waiting until I get to something revolutionary and it just isn't there!  What have you gotten from it that you couldn't figure out yourself?

Another question about a looming injury.  I was in the weight room today and felt an ominous tightness in my left knee.  I don't normally have knee problems, but by the time I finished my workout and got home, I was unable to put my weight on it to go up stairs.  There's all kinds of grinding going on in there.  I iced it, elevated it, took some ibuprofen and cancelled my bike workout for the day so I could stay off my feet, but I'm worried.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Should I spend the next week swimming only and wait a while on the bike and run? 

What I got from the Chi Running workshop was different from my reading the book. It is not magical and requires practice to develop into a chi runner. The basic idea is to tighten your core to maintain good run form, and we went over this allot, foot strikes under your body, not in front, forward lean keeps you from foot striking out in front of body, and also Keep you body relaxed.
We practiced good posture so that we could keep a good body alighnment as we ran, slight forward lean(only one inch).
You do not want to see your qaudriceps as you run, your leg should only go behind you. You should be landing on your whole shoe, not forefoot or heel, armswing should be natural.
We spent two hours runing on sand so that we would not leave an indent when re ran.

Please feel free to ask any questions, the workshop was seven hours long, I have fifteen pages of tips and technique handouts. These are pictures of me with instructor notes.
2009-07-08 6:14 AM
in reply to: #2268491

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Cool pictures Stuart and thanks for offering to answer my questions.  I need to finish the book first and practice a bit, but I think that my form might be closer to being correct than I think.  The body lean and foot plant reminds me a lot of the Galloway glide.  That definitely helped me with endurance and a lack of injury, but turned me into a chronically SLOW runner.  It's taken me about a year to get faster by lifting my feet and knees.  Have you seen any decrease in your speed when ChiRunning?

To everyone else, I saw the Osteopath today and I'm out of training for at least a week.  .  The whole knee joint is affected, including the base of my hamstring.  Worst case is I've got a small meniscus tear but she wants me to stay off it, ice 3 times a day and not do anything other than freestyle swimming while I'm on vacation next week.  If not significantly better by the 20th, she wants to see an MRI.  But, being a triathlete herself, she knows how much I want to get back out there (notice how I call myself a Triathlete already?!?), and she reassured me that I'll have enough time to get back into my training before the 23 August race.

So much for my bold and wonderful training plan for a week in the Austrian alps with my kids.  I guess I'll be taking a stack of books and working on my tan instead.  Have a good training week and I'll check back in after the 18th.

Laura 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  

of 19